Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 25, 2014 12:40 PM

Apr 2011
Animefreak17a said:

God damn I love debating about this I could go on all day..........thank you for the awesome chat

I know what you mean, it's been a while I watched the show, but it's still fresh in my memory and it provides so many points of discussion. I don't really know the manga/novel differences, since I'm not much of a reader, so I can judge only from the anime perspective. I did read the whole discussion, though. Normally I'd refrain from commenting, but here I just couldn't stop myself.

I don't see Toshio as a hypocrite for accepting Natsuno's help. As I've already mentioned, he was fighting something which he viewed as a plague thinking that he is alone in this and Natsuno told him straight away that he himself has to be killed with the rest of the shiki. And, once again, what he did to his wife he did as a professional doctor. You see him in a darker light than he really is. He chose his side and fights for his beliefs. And it wasn't him who went mad killing everyone in sight, while of course he was the one who triggered the event.

I understand both points of view. The one which suggests that shiki are still people and the one which suggests that they are just walking dead who should be put to rest. I love vampire anime and I normally side with the vampires, but in this show I liked the characters who resisted it and tried not to hurt other people more. Didn't know Natsuno didn't rise in the novel, so if it was a trick to put him in the anime - it worked on me. Especially the part where Tohru was forced to feed on him. It made a huge impression on me. I had shivers every time I saw ED 2 where Natsuno and Tohru are sitting still while the screen gets drown in blood (the song by BUCK-TICK adds to this greatly for sure). But as you see, in the anime Natsuno asked Tohru to escape with him, but Tohru declined. And you can't blame Natsuno for Megumi. She is a stalker, I wouldn't be nice to a person who stares in my window every evening.

I know about Sunako's pre-story. But I don't see it being that deep. I mean it is pretty understandable how she got turned into a shiki and abandoned by her parents and then, since she was alone all the time, she tried to compensate for what she had to come through. But it's the main argument of whether shiki deserve to live or whether they are just a plague which makes the story deep. So it's not really related to Sunako directly. It's just voiced through her. Yes, she is a shiki, but so are the same Natsuno and Ritsuko.

Also calling someone an idiot because they disagree is not a valid point. As I've said, it was easy for Sunako to manipulate Seishin because he was bitten by her and he felt that they were similar. Bitten people were under hypnosis and Seishin let Sunako feed on him - even though he knew this was going to happen. There are two ways to look at it - he didn't resist it because he was weak and gave up, trying to escape his life instead of changing it and basically giving up on his responsibilities to the village people, knowing that many of them will die or there is a way of viewing it the way you do. Both have the right to exist. I can agree that in the end he does make a choice and partially it is influenced by his own beliefs, but it's also influenced by Sunako and his own weaknesses.

And you don't have to apologize for disagreeing with me. It's fine to disagree. If this story wasn't so controversial it wouldn't be as great and deep.
Mar 25, 2014 1:50 PM

Jul 2012
fukushi said:
Animefreak17a said:

God damn I love debating about this I could go on all day..........thank you for the awesome chat

I know what you mean, it's been a while I watched the show, but it's still fresh in my memory and it provides so many points of discussion. I don't really know the manga/novel differences, since I'm not much of a reader, so I can judge only from the anime perspective. I did read the whole discussion, though. Normally I'd refrain from commenting, but here I just couldn't stop myself.

I don't see Toshio as a hypocrite for accepting Natsuno's help. As I've already mentioned, he was fighting something which he viewed as a plague thinking that he is alone in this and Natsuno told him straight away that he himself has to be killed with the rest of the shiki. And, once again, what he did to his wife he did as a professional doctor. You see him in a darker light than he really is. He chose his side and fights for his beliefs. And it wasn't him who went mad killing everyone in sight, while of course he was the one who triggered the event.

I understand both points of view. The one which suggests that shiki are still people and the one which suggests that they are just walking dead who should be put to rest. I love vampire anime and I normally side with the vampires, but in this show I liked the characters who resisted it and tried not to hurt other people more. Didn't know Natsuno didn't rise in the novel, so if it was a trick to put him in the anime - it worked on me. Especially the part where Tohru was forced to feed on him. It made a huge impression on me. I had shivers every time I saw ED 2 where Natsuno and Tohru are sitting still while the screen gets drown in blood (the song by BUCK-TICK adds to this greatly for sure). But as you see, in the anime Natsuno asked Tohru to escape with him, but Tohru declined. And you can't blame Natsuno for Megumi. She is a stalker, I wouldn't be nice to a person who stares in my window every evening.

I know about Sunako's pre-story. But I don't see it being that deep. I mean it is pretty understandable how she got turned into a shiki and abandoned by her parents and then, since she was alone all the time, she tried to compensate for what she had to come through. But it's the main argument of whether shiki deserve to live or whether they are just a plague which makes the story deep. So it's not really related to Sunako directly. It's just voiced through her. Yes, she is a shiki, but so are the same Natsuno and Ritsuko.

Also calling someone an idiot because they disagree is not a valid point. As I've said, it was easy for Sunako to manipulate Seishin because he was bitten by her and he felt that they were similar. Bitten people were under hypnosis and Seishin let Sunako feed on him - even though he knew this was going to happen. There are two ways to look at it - he didn't resist it because he was weak and gave up, trying to escape his life instead of changing it and basically giving up on his responsibilities to the village people, knowing that many of them will die or there is a way of viewing it the way you do. Both have the right to exist. I can agree that in the end he does make a choice and partially it is influenced by his own beliefs, but it's also influenced by Sunako and his own weaknesses.

And you don't have to apologize for disagreeing with me. It's fine to disagree. If this story wasn't so controversial it wouldn't be as great and deep.

OMG yes yes yes here we go again.........marry me already ........<_< >_> hmmmm never mind......Anyways

I haven't read the novel my self all I know is that natsuno didn't rise in it,

But I have read the manga which has a load of differences which should of been animated

Like that werewolf women surviving the shot to the head and kills a bunch of villagers with dynamite
And that bearded bastard who was a complete monster in the manga and was toned down in the manga to make him less of a monster,
Details of why they monk hated the village
And migumis death wasn't as brutal * I hated how she died in the anime*

Ok here we go

Natsuno again was a manga and anime only character and he didn't have much of a personality only the stereotypical I don't care what ever kid, nothing so great about him.

A professional doctor doesn't use live creatures while there still moving and alive* I still believe what he did was wrong what he did to his wife even if she was a shiki* how would you feel if one of your loved ones was being experimented on by that mad man.

Natsuno s character was made by the director not the author and as we all know directors can be pushy about what they want to change so really he's character isn't what the author wanted but what director wanted so to me that doesn't count.

The humans killed not only shiki but humans too.......I don't know hoe you could just ignore what they did and follow what the humans did.......

The novel came first then the manga and then the anime.

Wait I thought you said that he was going to die along with the shiki why would he change his mind And say to tohru let's make a run for it......kinda making him seem like he doesn't want to die.

At least he could of tried to be nice to her there has been loads of charecters in anime who admires other characters and at least they tried to be nice and friendly to them...... but he was cooled to migumi she tried saying hello and he ignored her she tried being friendly and he ignored her, she liked him and wanted to get to know him because he was from the city and that annoyed him just because a girl wanted to know about him and the city .........hell natsuno hated being in the village, migumi tried to get he's attention but didn't even wanted to know her or the shiki......To me he was bland, I kinda knew he wasn't going to live because he was dead in the novel, so it makes sense for him not to live in the end.

Don't mind me I was on a roll with this I said idiot to you sorry didn't mean to I was so excited to argue and chat I got lost in my excitement so I'm sorry.

What about the old lady shiki was lived with her daughter she didn't mind giving her blood.

She didn't manipulate the monk he did it by his own free will yes she bit him but it was only for blood........ she trusted him she was friends with him I mean look at the werewolf kid he had faith the monk would protect her.

Why should he take responsibility for something that he didn't want and was forced on him by the villagers......read chapter 33 and you'll see what I mean, he changed his life by running away from what he hated ............It's like that kid from welcome to the NHK who ran away from home because everyone made his future for him instead of him choosing what he wanted.........look at the monks dad ( really go and read chapter 33 and you'll see what I'm getting at) he was raised to be the next head monk and he didn't have a say on what he wanted to do, he was like a prisoner and he hated the village for making him do something he didn't want but the young monk saw what the village did to his dad and stood up and said .........No il make my own choices I want be something they want me to be in the end he did resist it and his will became strong ( trust me the villagers was forceful and harsh in the manga about wanting everyone to play there part in the village,

About him being influenced by sunako isn't a bad thing she opened his eyes and he made his decision thanks to her and he didn't follow in his father's foot steps and he over came his weaknesses by making his own choices by doing what he wanted to do instead of letting others making him be something he hated,

Really and honestly read the manga it goes in to depth of why he hated the village but if you can't be bothered to read the whole thing just read chapter 33 and 40 and it shows you why he hates the village..........go go and read it.

I want you to be my argue buddy I'm having so much fun in this,

I love this
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Mar 25, 2014 3:06 PM

Apr 2011
Animefreak17a said:

A professional doctor doesn't use live creatures while there still moving and alive* I still believe what he did was wrong what he did to his wife even if she was a shiki* how would you feel if one of your loved ones was being experimented on by that mad man.

They do though, I did bring this up. Many achievements of modern medicine were achieved through such experiments. And to him - she was already dead. It didn't matter what she was doing or saying. Either he takes them all as bloodsucking monsters who want to posses him and fights them or either he gets bitten and possibly dies along with the rest of his village.

Animefreak17a said:
The humans killed not only shiki but humans too.......I don't know hoe you could just ignore what they did and follow what the humans did.......

I'm not ignoring it. I did say that it turned into a massacre in the end. Especially Tomoi. He was cruel before and just went mad when he was given an opportunity to kill.

Animefreak17a said:
Wait I thought you said that he was going to die along with the shiki why would he change his mind And say to tohru let's make a run for it......kinda making him seem like he doesn't want to die.

To begin with he didn't want to die, he wasn't suicidal. When Tohru came to Natsuno to feed on him, Natsuno suggested they just run away because he valued Tohru as his friend. But Tohru refused because he was afraid of Tatsumi and Kirishiki's family control. After Natsuno was turned into shiki he came to Toshio and told him that Toshio is not alone in his fight, he said that all shiki need to die and since he was already a shiki himself - he needs to die as well. So he said it way after the conversation with Tohru. At first he probably thought that there was a way out when Tohru came to him, but since there was no way out and people just kept dying he decided to take revenge on Kirishiki for forcing his friend through this nightmare. And after he turned into a shiki he refused to kill people and drunk only Toshio's blood to save him from Chizuru's control. So he still remained on the human's side.

Animefreak17a said:
At least he could of tried to be nice to her there has been loads of charecters in anime who admires other characters and at least they tried to be nice and friendly to them...... but he was cooled to migumi she tried saying hello and he ignored her she tried being friendly and he ignored her, she liked him and wanted to get to know him because he was from the city and that annoyed him just because a girl wanted to know about him and the city .........hell natsuno hated being in the village, migumi tried to get he's attention but didn't even wanted to know her or the shiki......To me he was bland, I kinda knew he wasn't going to live because he was dead in the novel, so it makes sense for him not to live in the end.

He could try, yes. But it wasn't his obligation. And then again, she stalked him. It's not the most pleasant thing to experience, especially if you are trying to seclude yourself from other people. In this case, you'd just find her annoying. But I agree that he is a rather generic character overall. I did say it's a personal preference. I guess he is my type. And I do like that he stayed true to his beliefs even after he turned into a shiki. When Tatsumi came to him, Natsuno said that he isn't exactly on the human's side, but that he just doesn't like the family which started the whole thing. It's kind of one of those badass moments which I always like to see.

Animefreak17a said:
What about the old lady shiki was lived with her daughter she didn't mind giving her blood.

That one adds to the whole theme well. It shows how jealous people can be, but when Kirishiki came to the village they didn't come to ask for an occasional snack. They came there to turn the whole village. Though, even if they did ask, I can assume they would just get themselves killed, since Sunako does mention how they were unaccepted wherever they went. So it turns into a circle. They won't be accepted, so they try to fight their way through, and because they do it they get resistance and hate again. But the thing is that their existence causes people to suffer, because people are their food. They might not mean it, but in the end they use the worst methods to feed and end up killing people. And then people kill people too (which was always the thing, because hurray self-destruction).

Animefreak17a said:
She didn't manipulate the monk he did it by his own free will yes she bit him but it was only for blood........ she trusted him she was friends with him I mean look at the werewolf kid he had faith the monk would protect her.

Why should he take responsibility for something that he didn't want and was forced on him by the villagers......read chapter 33 and you'll see what I mean, he changed his life by running away from what he hated ............It's like that kid from welcome to the NHK who ran away from home because everyone made his future for him instead of him choosing what he wanted.........look at the monks dad ( really go and read chapter 33 and you'll see what I'm getting at) he was raised to be the next head monk and he didn't have a say on what he wanted to do, he was like a prisoner and he hated the village for making him do something he didn't want but the young monk saw what the village did to his dad and stood up and said .........No il make my own choices I want be something they want me to be in the end he did resist it and his will became strong ( trust me the villagers was forceful and harsh in the manga about wanting everyone to play there part in the village,

About him being influenced by sunako isn't a bad thing she opened his eyes and he made his decision thanks to her and he didn't follow in his father's foot steps and he over came his weaknesses by making his own choices by doing what he wanted to do instead of letting others making him be something he hated,

Yeah, the common village set up and small towns can be like that (no surprise Natsuno hated it, and Megumi hated it too). As I've mentioned, I don't dislike Seishin and I can relate to him personally. But I just dislike his choices. Instead of fighting what the village people were forcing on him - he attempts to commit suicide. He claims himself a pacifist, but being a pacifist is not about not killing anyone, it's about not letting people to die. While it's arguable whether shiki are living or dead - from the technical point of view, they have already died, willingly or not, but death is always like that, it's always sad and it's always unfair. And after they die they drag other people with them, because there is no 100% guarantee that they will rise back to "life". This is not what pacifism is about. Then after being so reluctant this whole time Seishin suddenly shapes up and prevents the winning side from having a clean win. It almost looks like he was there the whole time to save one of the shiki so that the story could have a sequel. But I guess I know where they were coming from with that - neither of the sides are good enough to win. And really, there is no winning, just a shitty situation where people die.
Elastic_LoveMar 25, 2014 3:21 PM
Mar 25, 2014 5:04 PM

Jul 2012
fukushi said:
Animefreak17a said:

They do though, I did bring this up. Many achievements of modern medicine were achieved through such experiments. And to him - she was already dead. It didn't matter what she was doing or saying. Either he takes them all as bloodsucking monsters who want to posses him and fights them or either he gets bitten and possibly dies along with the rest of his village.

Animefreak17a said:

I'm not ignoring it. I did say that it turned into a massacre in the end. Especially Tomoi. He was cruel before and just went mad when he was given an opportunity to kill.

Animefreak17a said:

To begin with he didn't want to die, he wasn't suicidal. When Tohru came to Natsuno to feed on him, Natsuno suggested they just run away because he valued Tohru as his friend. But Tohru refused because he was afraid of Tatsumi and Kirishiki's family control. After Natsuno was turned into shiki he came to Toshio and told him that Toshio is not alone in his fight, he said that all shiki need to die and since he was already a shiki himself - he needs to die as well. So he said it way after the conversation with Tohru. At first he probably thought that there was a way out when Tohru came to him, but since there was no way out and people just kept dying he decided to take revenge on Kirishiki for forcing his friend through this nightmare. And after he turned into a shiki he refused to kill people and drunk only Toshio's blood to save him from Chizuru's control. So he still remained on the human's side.

Animefreak17a said:

He could try, yes. But it wasn't his obligation. And then again, she stalked him. It's not the most pleasant thing to experience, especially if you are trying to seclude yourself from other people. In this case, you'd just find her annoying. But I agree that he is a rather generic character overall. I did say it's a personal preference. I guess he is my type. And I do like that he stayed true to his beliefs even after he turned into a shiki. When Tatsumi came to him, Natsuno said that he isn't exactly on the human's side, but that he just doesn't like the family which started the whole thing. It's kind of one of those badass moments which I always like to see.

Animefreak17a said:

That one adds to the whole theme well. It shows how jealous people can be, but when Kirishiki came to the village they didn't come to ask for an occasional snack. They came there to turn the whole village. Though, even if they did ask, I can assume they would just get themselves killed, since Sunako does mention how they were unaccepted wherever they went. So it turns into a circle. They won't be accepted, so they try to fight their way through, and because they do it they get resistance and hate again. But the thing is that their existence causes people to suffer, because people are their food. They might not mean it, but in the end they use the worst methods to feed and end up killing people. And then people kill people too (which was always the thing, because hurray self-destruction).

Animefreak17a said:

Yeah, the common village set up and small towns can be like that (no surprise Natsuno hated it, and Megumi hated it too). As I've mentioned, I don't dislike Seishin and I can relate to him personally. But I just dislike his choices. Instead of fighting what the village people were forcing on him - he attempts to commit suicide. He claims himself a pacifist, but being a pacifist is not about not killing anyone, it's about not letting people to die. While it's arguable whether shiki are living or dead - from the technical point of view, they have already died, willingly or not, but death is always like that, it's always sad and it's always unfair. And after they die they drag other people with them, because there is no 100% guarantee that they will rise back to "life". This is not what pacifism is about. Then after being so reluctant this whole time Seishin suddenly shapes up and prevents the winning side from having a clean win. It almost looks like he was there the whole time to save one of the shiki so that the story could have a sequel. But I guess I know where they were coming from with that - neither of the sides are good enough to win. And really, there is no winning, just a shitty situation where people die.

I mean yeah they do sugary and stuff like that but not torment people while there alive and feel pain And yes to him she was dead ( he's point of view) but only because he sees it like that doesn't mean others feel the same old say it experimenting on living things including shiki is wrong its like what the Pentagon did to those monkeys they put machines in side monkey heads and I swear it was the most horrible thing I have ever seen ........next to what those bullies did to Lucy's puppy from elfen lied.

No joke ether if you thought tomoi was a monster in the anime your going to be traumatized if you saw him in the manga.........it was like he was a demon who took pleasure in killing.

But wait he said the shiki needs to die but he says that they should run...............that's confusing if he wanted to help he's friend then why didn't he try to help him escape near the end if he wanted them to run away and then doesn't?????? He's kinda a hypocrite saying that all the shiki needs to die but says they should run away................Oh by the way in the manga he doesn't blow him self up he just falls in the pit and dies with that werewolf kid.

You know that guy with the big gun who was human but was on the shikis side well natsuno told him to kill he's family but he killed him self for stop that from happening, that another thong the monk wasn't the only human who accepted the shiki but-

The big gun wielding guy
The monk
And the daughter of the old lady shiki
The monks father who wanted to become a shiki

What do you say to these people

Aahhhhhh so you like the bad boys with nothing else to say but only the ones that stay true to word not the ones who don't ha ha ha ha I get ya ^_- wink you like those types lol I get ya

My type is ......actually I have loads of types .........

The kind and helpful types
The business type women with glasses
The pretty happy and helpless types
The happy go lucky types
I have loads of types..........I guess that means I'm not picky lol

Yes your right there because I've seen a lot of anime with humans hating anything that's not human or is human but isn't the same as them selfs like-

Elfen lied
Blassreiter
*dance in the vampire bund* note you need to watch this it's like shiki and its a total bad ass anime but you'll need to read the rest but to get what I'm talking about you'll need to read chapter 70 from there to the finish but it's worth the read ......It's also a favourite of mine.
Basilisk
And others

Anyways the point is that even if they wad peaceful and had blood from blood banks or had donated blood they'd still be hated ( again watch and read Dance in the vampire bund this anime/manga brings up this point perfectly )

It's not like they asked to become shiki and they don't want to die and really there suffering to but there making the best of what and who they are and they won't be judged for it because there not humans while killing people because it's humans who sin not shiki because there shiki not humans.

And yeah humans since the beginning of man we have -

Killed each other though wars, spite, religion, hate, class and it will continue for ever til.humanity is gone, with animals they fight and kill.To eat each other but with us we're suppose to be helping each other but instead we look at each other and see difference in our selfs and ......... you know where I'm going with this,

Well he felt he had no way out and thought it was the only way out .....people do stupid things when there backed in to a corner, and not letting people die is right but the shiki wasn't humans so it's not a for them to kill.humans and brink there blood, it's a complex thing about shiki.......Some say there dead while others say there alive and the dead don't move, it's very very complicated.......To me if there moving and have intelligence and reasoning and speech then to me there not dead.

I totally agree with you........ I think it was that I didn't wanted my favourite charecters to die that really got my blood going.

You know it's nice to have a nice chat with a opposition that doesn't shout and scream .....the shiki are monster, that F****** monk I hate him ect ect bit here it's really really nice just to talk about it............I get really angry at people who just hate he characters just for the sake of hating them or they wasn't humans or and stuff like that,

And I see your point of view on natsuno I guess he was a ok character but that doesn't mean I liked him I just wish they gave him a God damn personality instead of being serious all the time like he's face was trapped in serious mood all the time.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Mar 26, 2014 3:24 AM

Apr 2011
Animefreak17a said:
I mean yeah they do sugary and stuff like that but not torment people while there alive and feel pain And yes to him she was dead ( he's point of view) but only because he sees it like that doesn't mean others feel the same old say it experimenting on living things including shiki is wrong its like what the Pentagon did to those monkeys they put machines in side monkey heads and I swear it was the most horrible thing I have ever seen ........next to what those bullies did to Lucy's puppy from elfen lied.

I hated Elfen Lied for that scene. But yeah [url]http://www.medicalbillingandcoding.org/blog/10-inhumane-experiments-that-wound-up-helping-society/[/url] - I mean these kind of experiments. As you can see they were inhuman, but they helped the medicine to progress. I don't say it justifies it, but people do what they think is necessary.

Animefreak17a said:
But wait he said the shiki needs to die but he says that they should run...............that's confusing if he wanted to help he's friend then why didn't he try to help him escape near the end if he wanted them to run away and then doesn't?????? He's kinda a hypocrite saying that all the shiki needs to die but says they should run away................Oh by the way in the manga he doesn't blow him self up he just falls in the pit and dies with that werewolf kid.

You misread what I said maybe. Shortly after Tohru was turned into a shiki he came to Natsuno to feed on him. First Natsuno tried talking to him and he was trying to find the way out of the situation and even offered Tohru his blood, but Tohru refused his help and shortly after that Tohru was forced to bite Natsuno by Megumi and Tatsumi (and it is another scene which made a huge impression on me). So Natsuno sees how fucked up everything is and that his friend is already lost and decides that shiki need to pay for what was going on. So when he was turned into a shiki himself, he used it to fight them. He does come to look at Tohru and Ritsuko's corpses after they die, before facing Tatsumi, to kind of say them goodbye I guess.

Animefreak17a said:
You know that guy with the big gun who was human but was on the shikis side well natsuno told him to kill he's family but he killed him self for stop that from happening, that another thong the monk wasn't the only human who accepted the shiki but-

The big gun wielding guy
The monk
And the daughter of the old lady shiki
The monks father who wanted to become a shiki

What do you say to these people

They never really show much of Seishirou and his motivation is kind of unclear, sadly. He might have made an interesting character. But Seishin's father just didn't want to die. He was old and was hoping that he will rise and "live" some more.
Kanami did hide her mother, because she couldn't let her feelings go and her mother was weak, so she couldn't even attack her. But there is another example of that in the series. When Masao (who is a shiki too) comes to his sister-in-law, Chizuko (who is not a shiki), and asks her for help she stakes him to death.

Animefreak17a said:

Yes your right there because I've seen a lot of anime with humans hating anything that's not human or is human but isn't the same as them selfs like-

Elfen lied
Blassreiter
*dance in the vampire bund* note you need to watch this it's like shiki and its a total bad ass anime but you'll need to read the rest but to get what I'm talking about you'll need to read chapter 70 from there to the finish but it's worth the read ......It's also a favourite of mine.
Basilisk
And others

Anyways the point is that even if they wad peaceful and had blood from blood banks or had donated blood they'd still be hated ( again watch and read Dance in the vampire bund this anime/manga brings up this point perfectly )

Oh, I will look into Dance in the Vampire Bund sometime, thanks. And yeah, people are discriminative. If they weren't then such stuff like World War II wouldn't have happened. And, you know, we hate people because they chose different religion or because they have different sexual orientation or just because we don't like the way they look.

Animefreak17a said:
It's not like they asked to become shiki and they don't want to die and really there suffering to but there making the best of what and who they are and they won't be judged for it because there not humans while killing people because it's humans who sin not shiki because there shiki not humans.

At the same time, there were shiki who refused to harm other people. Like Natsuno (to some degree anyway) and Ritsuko and Tohru in the very end after he was convinced by Ritsuko. So it was still their choice to kill people in order to stay alive themselves. And, yeah, they don't show many characters who actually want to become a shiki. Mostly it happens against their will.

Animefreak17a said:
Well he felt he had no way out and thought it was the only way out .....people do stupid things when there backed in to a corner, and not letting people die is right but the shiki wasn't humans so it's not a for them to kill.humans and brink there blood, it's a complex thing about shiki.......Some say there dead while others say there alive and the dead don't move, it's very very complicated.......To me if there moving and have intelligence and reasoning and speech then to me there not dead.

I totally agree with you........ I think it was that I didn't wanted my favourite charecters to die that really got my blood going.

You know it's nice to have a nice chat with a opposition that doesn't shout and scream .....the shiki are monster, that F****** monk I hate him ect ect bit here it's really really nice just to talk about it............I get really angry at people who just hate he characters just for the sake of hating them or they wasn't humans or and stuff like that,

Well, I don't really hate any characters, some of the annoying characters are put in the story with the exact goal to annoy you, so if they are annoying - they are doing their job well and it makes them successful, which means they are good characters, if you can understand what I mean.
Like for example Tomoi. He is an absolute sadist. But his character is supposed to be like that to show how bloodlustful the crowd can be, because since he goes mad - the people around him go mad as well. So you can call him a successful character, because he evokes emotions, even though there is absolutely no reason to like him. The worst are the characters which you don't care about at all.
So I find Seishin interesting. I don't like his choices, but he adds a lot of stuff to the story. Hopefully, you can view Toshio the same way.
Mar 26, 2014 4:10 AM

Jul 2012
I can't open the link to that.

Ok fine inhuman stuff like that helped but that doesn't mean it's right.

Well he could of said .......I'm a shiki now and il say it again let me help you I'm in the same boat as you now but I guess turning him in to a werewolf kinda made him go...........No I won't help you because you turned me on to a werewolf.......I'd be thanking the kid for turning me in to the perfect shiki where you can go out in the sun and is immortal that would be awesome in my book.

The monks dad's life was something he didn't want and he thought that if he rose he'd get a new life and start how he wanted instead of being what other wanted him to be.
And the old ladies daughter just saw her mother not a shiki or anything else it was her mother who loved her and took care of her even when her dad died and was always kind to her and when she got back she didn't attack her daughter or visa versa it was two loved ones who got reunited but was separated again thanks to he mod.

Masoa differs from the manga to the anime in the manga he was going to attack her but in the anime he asked for her help but in both she killed him............ I believe that Chizuko didn't like him like how he didn't like her...........come on there's loads of in laws in this world who don't even like each other,Chizuko hates the shiki because they was the one who drank dry one of her children..........hell in one episode she's cooking and kills one shiki like it was nothing you could say she was blood thirsty in one point of view, these two didn't get along even in the manga and she was glad he was dead.

I know what your saying .......at one point everyone hated the Germans even the ones who didn't do anything and even after years gone by there are people who still hate them, I don't hate anyone I like everyone and accept people for who they are............however if people threaten me because I don't follow there beliefs then I get fired up and say don't push your beliefs on me, I don't care what others believe in but I don't like it when they force there beliefs on to me ........get what I'm saying,

And I bet even if there was shiki who wanted to be on the humans side I doubt that the humans would even trust them and kill them * thank you doctor for lying to the villagers)

I wouldn't say annoy just that I hated what they did, the show also shows how inhuman humans can be if there fighting an enemy and even do to there own people if they think* which they wasn't* are traitors and I see why they tried to hid the bodies so no one would prosecute the villagers,

Yes loads of people didn't like the choices what other charecters did which makes this a awesome debate.

The show questions your morality and makes you think about stuff, instead of seeing it in one side the show let's you see what both sides are like and let's you decide what you think about the show and this series is probably the best show to debate about morality and points of view.......right next to death note which is also a great talk about what light did.....was it right or wrong.

The monk did stuff that people didn't like and there was stuff the doctor did what others didn't like and we the audience fight over who and what's right ........And let me tell ya it's rough debating to others who shouts in your hear when they don't like your point of view...........that reminds me.

I'm sorry If I offended you like calling you idiot and sound like I was shouting at ya, I was on a roll with my debating and iv been in so many arguments with others about this it's sort of attached to me .............but I'm glad to have a nice chat with you instead of a argue ........but at times it great to have a heated discussion once in a while.

Is there anything else you want to debate about ......message me and I'l ether discuss with you back you up or be your opposition lol.

im a shiki supporter

Mar 26, 2014 5:39 AM

Apr 2011
Animefreak17a said:
I'd be thanking the kid for turning me in to the perfect shiki where you can go out in the sun and is immortal that would be awesome in my book.

Then again he didn't ask for this and there was no guarantee it'd happen that way. Especially considering how Tohru, the one who turned Natsuno, had to suffer during all this. So it was his own luck, otherwise he would just die.

Animefreak17a said:
And the old ladies daughter just saw her mother not a shiki or anything else it was her mother who loved her and took care of her even when her dad died and was always kind to her and when she got back she didn't attack her daughter or visa versa it was two loved ones who got reunited but was separated again thanks to he mod.

Masoa differs from the manga to the anime in the manga he was going to attack her but in the anime he asked for her help but in both she killed him............ I believe that Chizuko didn't like him like how he didn't like her...........come on there's loads of in laws in this world who don't even like each other,Chizuko hates the shiki because they was the one who drank dry one of her children..........hell in one episode she's cooking and kills one shiki like it was nothing you could say she was blood thirsty in one point of view, these two didn't get along even in the manga and she was glad he was dead.

Yeah, it's probably not the best example to compare, since people generally disliked Masao. But in general, some people in the village accepted shiki as human beings, some didn't. Just like in this discussion.

Animefreak17a said:
And I bet even if there was shiki who wanted to be on the humans side I doubt that the humans would even trust them and kill them * thank you doctor for lying to the villagers)

Actually Toshio trusted Natsuno to the degree where he let him bite him, even though Natsuno was a shiki. And what do you mean by lying? He said that the people who were rising from the dead were shiki and that they would feed on the village people until they all turn into shiki or die, that wasn't a lie, it was exactly what Kirishiki were planning to do. And so many people already died at that point that it was easy to start hating shiki.
If you mean that he was lying that they were not the same people anymore after becoming shiki - it wasn't exactly a lie either, it was what he believed in. And then again, he didn't want his village to turn into a shiki village.

And no need to apologize, I agree it was a nice discussion.
Mar 26, 2014 6:50 AM

Jul 2012
Yeah and he did die in the novel and not rise.

Well the doctor didn't tell the whole truth, here's my theory

In the novel he didn't get natsunos help because he didn't rise and the doctor only saw them as monsters and didn't get to know them or talk to them and the only one he ever got close to was he's wife which he gagged and didn't chat with her so maybe he just saw them as monsters with nothing of there former selfs, the doctor did it all him self.

While in the manga and anime he got help from natsuno and he knew the shiki was still them selfs which kinda blows away this -

In the novel the doctor didn't talk or get to know any of the shiki and saw them as monster,
With the monk he chatted with sunako and found out she was a shiki,

And as time went by in the novel both had separate ideas and choose what they was going to do, in the manga he knew the shiki was still them selfs thanks to natsuno being there as evidence for him but still decided to kill the shiki, I know you like natsuno and I'm not saying anything bad about him but it kinda makes sense not to have him in the novel or manga or anime because in the novel he's dead and it was the doctor who did all the preparations to fight the shiki, and it makes he's presence in the series meaningless in this point of view.

Anyways back to what I was trying to say, the doctor knew the shiki was them selfs thanks to natsuno showing him self to the doctor and he didn't tell the villagers this because he thought the villagers would split in to about it..............as you could see on the anime where a few people refused to fight the shiki ans if he did tell them they was still them selfs like when they was humans the villagers would of been fighting among them selfs too saying what's to be done and we the audience knows this ..........soooo you could say he didn't tell the whole truth about the shiki.

What if the villagers found out later that he didn't tell them the whole truth he'd be in trouble example- wait I killed my brother because he was a shiki and thought he was a danger and now your telling me he was still him self even after he turned in to a shiki.......get it.

The villagers got it in to there heads that they was evil and the doctor lied to them by not telling the whole story ............I'd understand in the novel but the evidence is natsuno in the manga.

Sorry I bad at writing but I know what I'm trying to say lol

im a shiki supporter

Mar 26, 2014 9:12 AM

Apr 2011
Yeah, I get what you mean. Still the chances were that they would all get bitten and half of them wouldn't rise back to life. So fighting back was a way to go if they wanted to live. Even if shiki were still themselves, they were coming to their relatives only to feed on them, they were playing on their feelings to drink their blood. Some hoped, that their relatives will return, but they knew that they could just die. And even if they do return, they would have to kill people. It's not something you'd wish for your beloved family member.

And before the whole massacre started, Toshio tried to protect one of his patients, Setsuko Yasumori. Setsuko was bitten by her daughter Nao. So Nao lured her out of the building by manipulating her while Tetsumi distracted Toshio. Tetsumi also brought several shiki to finish Setsuko off quickly. After that, I think Toshio couldn't really see shiki as anything but an enemy. I mean they killed his patient right in front of him. By the way, Nao also killed her husband, son and grandson and none of them, including Setsuko, turned into a shiki, they all just died.

But even then, Natsuno wasn't the only shiki Toshio communicated with. He did talk to Tatsumi and he did talk to Chizuru. She even told him what her life was like before she turned into a shiki. So I think he knew that shiki were able to talk and had all the memories and such. He just didn't want them to kill more people.
Elastic_LoveMar 26, 2014 9:16 AM
Mar 26, 2014 11:31 AM

Jul 2012
Yeah but they hoped that they would rise but failed and I kinda get why some did it to reunite with there families some killed there families like that bearded guys son who killed his granny who made his life miserable so yeah,

but you kinda feel sorry for her an in reality she wanted to go back

I get that but..............have you ever seen Buffy the vampire slayer .......in that show after they become vampires the also become evil or mischievous an with no soul but still has the memories of when they was humans.......maybe he thought that they was just evil with the memories still in tact, chizuru and tatsumi was just cocky cause they thought they won and no one stood a chance,
Maybe he saw them like that, but it's kinda ironic if you ask me......the shiki was he's patients who he tried to save but ended up killing them,

Can I ask you something well two things actually

1 if a loved one who was a shiki came to you for help what would you do.
Second question
2 if you was hunting the shiki and came a cross people who was protecting there family who was shiki now let you though to kill them what would you do.

Even if he did kill of the shiki there was still people that the humans killed an took pleasure in doing so.

In the manga the humans who was left ether killed them selfs or was permanently hospitalised or went in to hiding this is ether to

What they did by deaths

im a shiki supporter

Mar 26, 2014 12:54 PM

Apr 2011
Animefreak17a said:
I get that but..............have you ever seen Buffy the vampire slayer .......in that show after they become vampires the also become evil or mischievous an with no soul but still has the memories of when they was humans.......maybe he thought that they was just evil with the memories still in tact, chizuru and tatsumi was just cocky cause they thought they won and no one stood a chance,
Maybe he saw them like that, but it's kinda ironic if you ask me......the shiki was he's patients who he tried to save but ended up killing them,

I did see some of Buffy the vampire slayer when I was a kid, but I don't remember it clearly.

Animefreak17a said:

Second question
2 if you was hunting the shiki and came a cross people who was protecting there family who was shiki now let you though to kill them what would you do.

To be honest, I have no idea how I would behave if I were put in Shiki setting. But:
1. I would probably have very little chances against a vampire since I don't do any sport activities. So I'd be an easy prey. It has little to do with the way I would feel about it, since my loved one would come to me with one goal - to feed on me. And most likely they would succeed just because I'm physically weak.
2. I doubt I'd be hunting shiki because as I've said, I'd probably die early in the series. And I imagine I would just go crazy if something like that happened to my friends and family. So it's difficult to say how I would behave. Lets be real, I could be hiding somewhere, crying the absolute shit out of myself or bashing my head against the wall until I die.

But we sure derailed the topic as far as we could :D
Mar 26, 2014 12:58 PM

Jul 2012
fukushi said:
Animefreak17a said:

I did see some of Buffy the vampire slayer when I was a kid, but I don't remember it clearly.

Animefreak17a said:

Second question

To be honest, I have no idea how I would behave if I were put in Shiki setting. But:
1. I would probably have very little chances against a vampire since I don't do any sport activities. So I'd be an easy prey. It has little to do with the way I would feel about it, since my loved one would come to me with one goal - to feed on me. And most likely they would succeed just because I'm physically weak.
2. I doubt I'd be hunting shiki because as I've said, I'd probably die early in the series. And I imagine I would just go crazy if something like that happened to my friends and family. So it's difficult to say how I would behave. Lets be real, I could be hiding somewhere, crying the absolute shit out of myself or bashing my head against the wall until I die.

But we sure derailed the topic as far as we could :D

But what if they came to you not to feed on you but to see you.

Yeah we did didn't we looooool I was caught up with this discussion I forgot about the main focus of topic........I hope we don't get in trouble lol

P.S. reading hat you wrote sounds adorable .................What it does
geekfreak17aMar 26, 2014 1:47 PM

im a shiki supporter

Mar 26, 2014 9:30 PM

Mar 2014
uhm, hello. I see you have an interesting discussion here. Shiki is just so brilliant, it is haunting me after I had finished it. So I, an occassional lurker here at MAL, decided to create an account and share my thoughts (sorry for the painfully long post).

I both hate and love Muroi. I hate him simply because I am on the side of the villagers. And because he is able to make me feel this way, I love him for that and I don't believe he is one of the worst characters out there. For me, bad characters are the ones who don't make you feel anything i.e. when you don't care if they die or survive because they just don't have impact on you. These kind of characters are not present in Shiki, even the minor ones will at least make you feel something. (Compare it with Another, where characters senselessly die and I just didn't give a damn).

Neither Muroi nor Toshio are weak willed characters. They just have different beliefs/morals and that justified their actions. Muroi does not want to hurt anyone because he believes it is wrong to punish someone who just want to survive. The result of his action is he did not do anything to save the village. Toshio, on the other hand, has the desire right from the start to be the hero and save the village from death at any cost. His experiments on his wife are really unethical in anyway you view it but he thought this is for the greater good. It's true that these kind of things happened in history and that's why we have medical/research ethics today, to prevent it from happening again. But because of the threat to the villagers' survival, Toshio's morals broke down. Here's an analogy: the controversial embryonic stem cell research. Toshio would root for it since it has the potential to cure many diseases and many people would benefit from it while Muroi would be against it since we will destroy the budding life from it. So would you do something bad for the greater good? Like I said, Shiki is bloody brilliant.

I said that I am on the side of the villagers simply because the Shikis are the invaders. Their killing of the Shikis are justified by the fact that they too need to survive. You can get away from homicide if it's for self-defense, right? The villagers are not the same with hamburgers that (the shikis) eat, they are capable of resistance. And in the end, everything became bloody. It is not also far from reality, news would tell you how riots turn into mad slaughter. Hysterical mobs are dangerous, individuals lose their identity and they feel that they gained the license to kill- even the leader Toshio is not capable of pacifying them.

Shiki is capable of making you question your morals. After watching it, I realized that I am a utilitarianist and I believe I would have done what Toshio did.

PS: I also want to share that Toshio is a lousy doctor not being able to determine iron-deficiency anemia from blood loss anemia. A thorough physical exam of the patient would distinguish one from the other easily.
Mar 27, 2014 6:20 AM

Jul 2012
But wait though out history man has invaded other lands of people like-

The Americans taking over the natives land from them and killing them
The inhabitants of Australia being ostracized and there lands being taken by the white man
South Africa
And soooo many others and still doing it today
We has humans have done this though out history and still doing it today.

And about the stem cell research thing isn't very good assumption ......I would say the doctors methods was that of unit 731 cause that is what that scene represents experimenting on your prisoners * look it up and you'll be disturbed unit 731* and the monk was disgusted by what the doctor did to his wife and didn't want no part in in, the monk represents those who are against bad things like unit 731.

I'm on the shikis side for 4 reason

1 most of the shiki are the villagers them selfs
2 the villagers wants everyone to play there part in the village * read chapter 33 of the manga*
3 they didn't ask to be shiki but still wants to continue to live.
4 the humans did horrible things like -

Letting the shiki burn in the sun, an that's inhuman the villagers forgot these are there neighbours and friends and family there letting suffer while smiling, and I wouldn't mind if they gave them a quick fast painless death but no the demoralized them from escaping and tied them down and let them burn while they was in pain and only one .......one human put them out of pain while the other humans was disappointed her finished them off.

And
What they did to there fellow humans like the people in the pipes the doctor said it takes 4 bits to ether kill you or turn you but they got bitten once and they killed them.

And the old man who was being controlled by the shiki instead of trying to snap him out of it they call him a traitor and kill him.

And the worst part is what they did to the people in the temple.....good God this is what drove me to hate them even more and made me say........the humans don't deserve to live, and not only is it the villagers fault it was that bearded bastard and the doctors fault...............iv read the manga too by the way .............And instead of saying ok were searching for the monk and your all suspects of hiding him and with out a shred of evidence or even looking first or even putting them under arrest they killed unarmed people who didn't know what was going on why they attacked them an didn't know where the monk was ................at this point the humans to me was worse then the shiki.........at least the shiki needed to brink human blood in order to live, but with the humans they killed because they was shiki.

As we know the shiki aren't mindless monsters as we the audience knows they have there personalities and memories and such, and I'd completely understand if they was mindless zombies who was former shells of what they used to be and with no reasoning or speech.

Look at the old lady shiki she went back to her daughter who was at home at the time and was glad to see her mother back and even gave her her blood this woman didn't see a monster she saw her mother who was still the same old mom she always knew but was killed by the villagers.

Look at the nurse who refused to drink the blood of her co worker and instead of not telling anyone for letting her go.......she out right tells them even tho they spread her.

Look at the human who was on the shikis side......he wasn't a werewolf or being controlled, he became part of the shiki family and this all tells me the shiki aren't monsters at all.

Yes you had migumi who killed her supposed friends dad and raised as a shiki ( she like most characters let power go to her head........Death note and she was jealous) and there was the liquor guys son who was a shiki and killed his granny because of the shitty life she and his dad gave him.

In the manga and anime the doctor lied to the villagers by not telling them the whole truth, the villagers thought the Shiki was mindless evil creatures who looked like there friends and neighbours but the doctor knew the shiki was them selfs when they was human and knew migumi wasn't dead but a shiki .......And he told migumis dad that she was dead just to get the villagers pumped up and ready to kill........,

Look what he did to his wife he didn't even say he was sorry or cryed he didn't give her the time of day when she was human so of course it was easy for him to do what he did........he even questions him self if he did love her, and to do honest in this situation you don't ask that question cause when you marry some one it's for love ........And clearly he didn't love her if is questioning him self if he loves her.

I like the monk for a few reasons,

He could see that the shiki aren't evil creatures and saw there point view they didn't want to be cone shiki but didn't want to die.

In the beginning he was a weak will character because he was raised to be the next head monk like what the villagers wanted him to be and he had no say in it and felt trapped and saw that he's dad hated the village for being raised to be the next head monk and it was want the villagers wanted him to be............( hell they made fun of migumi because of what she was wearing and talked behind her back about it ) it's the same with the doctor he was raised like he's father to become the village doctor and he hated the idea of what others wanted him to be but did it anyways without a word, but at the series nears its ending the monk chooses to do what he wanted instead of what others expected him to be and do, he stood up and said no I'm not doing what others want me to be and start my life over. ...........And to me that's is awesome being who you want to be instead of others want you to be.

I swear it's awesome debating on this series

im a shiki supporter

Mar 27, 2014 7:53 AM

Mar 2008
I don't really want to derail from the current Shiki discussion, but I'm going to butt-in anyway.
Animefreak17a said:
But wait though out history man has invaded other lands of people like-

The Americans taking over the natives land from them and killing them
The inhabitants of Australia being ostracized and there lands being taken by the white man
South Africa
And soooo many others and still doing it today
We has humans have done this though out history and still doing it today.
True enough, there have been such events throughout the enitre history of 'civilised' mankind and still occurring today. Invasion, mass-murder, systematic discrimination; ethnocentric, cultural, and any other sort of conflict where people do terrible things to other people: warring, genocide, kidnapping, terrorising, torture, oppressing, etc. etc. But all that is a given.
More often than not, these events are driven by selfish and inane reasons ranging from blind hatred to greedy geopolitical machiavellianism, however, just because the evil exists, doesn't make the perpetrator any less in the wrong.

If we take the Shiki as 'people', then they have as much right to survival as 'humanity', however that doesn't wash their hands of their countless murders, which were definitely, not in 'self-defence' (given the strictest sense of the idea).

I think I've said it before, but while the humans aren't all-righteous, they do have the right to defend themselves against the aggressors. To what extent? That is a different question, but the Shiki and humanity are by no means on even grounds in the culpability of the events in the show.
Mar 27, 2014 8:58 AM

Jul 2012
I watched this other show called dance in the vampire bund ...........an these vampires had everything donated blood, money and a place to live and wanted peace but ......................I don't know if I should say anything to save spoilers cause I think you should check it out your self, I recommend it.

Anyways humans hate and fear what they don't understand or is different to them

In dance in the vampire bund
I think I can understand the shiki why they didn't try to reach out to humans because they would of feared and hate them from the start so the shiki knew they was among the enemy from the start. So I can understand what they was going though, I mean look at sunako when she turned her family abandoned her and left her in a barn for 20 years and sent her a maid every night.

Look at xmen there are human who hates the mutants out of -
Jealousy
The way they look
A threat to the human evolution, which in fact the X gene is humanities next stage.

im a shiki supporter

Mar 27, 2014 5:38 PM

Mar 2014
Yep, throughout history, humans invade other humans' land- that does not change the fact that it is a wrong thing. As someone who came from a country who was invaded several times, I hate invaders with passion. I side with the villagers like I would do for an invaded country.

The Shikis did not want to become Shikis themselves; however, they give the same predisposition to the humans they kill. The humans who become Shiki were not given a choice if they want to be like that. They only have two options once they become a Shiki- live as Shiki or die. Most of the shikis are villagers because they were transformed. It's like they were being recruited but they don't have the option to decline.

What the humans did were the result of their resistance. Those things are horrible but that's what happen when they people lose their inviduality. Still, the root cause of all of this is the Shiki coming to their peaceful village.

As for an alternate scenario where humans and shiki live in peace- we'll never know because Sunako never tried communicating with humans in the first place. Instead they barged into a community and attempted to own it.
Mar 28, 2014 3:44 AM

Jul 2012
Sunako could have but didn't because she felt she couldn't trust no one because of her past experience with her family who abandoned her so I can understand to not trust humans.......sure there was a few humans who accepted her as a shiki but she knew not all the humans would accept.

Besides the villagers wasn't that nice to begin with-

1 They expect everyone to follow the rules strictly and that everyone to do they expect them to do..........read chapter 33 of the manga. It shows how spiteful they was towards everyone who didn't follow what they wanted the head monk to be.

2 they made fun of migumi of what she was wearing her ideas, this gave me the impression that they didn't like anything that was out of the norm

The villagers wasn't very nice ether

im a shiki supporter

Mar 28, 2014 9:06 PM

Mar 2014
I kinda understand the villagers' obsession with their rules/norms. They value tradition so much; they feel safe with these norms. It's as if these norms are necessary for their function, their structure. It's unbearable for some, yes, but for years the village has been in peace. At the end of the day, it's up to you if you give in to the pressure of your society.

Despite that, they're not at all very hostile to newcomers. They were nice to Natsuno; it's Natsuno who's being surly. They naively invite the Kanemasa people to their homes (poof, they become Shiki.)

And like what I've been saying, Sunako took them by force. Had the case been otherwise (like in dance of the vampire bund), I might have sympathized with the Shiki. I'm not all for crazy hunts where innocents are killed. Doing the Salem is out of fashion nowadays. However, that is one simple but crucial reason for me to side with the villagers.
Mar 29, 2014 1:40 AM

Jul 2012
heathen-queen said:
I kinda understand the villagers' obsession with their rules/norms. They value tradition so much; they feel safe with these norms. It's as if these norms are necessary for their function, their structure. It's unbearable for some, yes, but for years the village has been in peace. At the end of the day, it's up to you if you give in to the pressure of your society.

Despite that, they're not at all very hostile to newcomers. They were nice to Natsuno; it's Natsuno who's being surly. They naively invite the Kanemasa people to their homes (poof, they become Shiki.)

And like what I've been saying, Sunako took them by force. Had the case been otherwise (like in dance of the vampire bund), I might have sympathized with the Shiki. I'm not all for crazy hunts where innocents are killed. Doing the Salem is out of fashion nowadays. However, that is one simple but crucial reason for me to side with the villagers.

Well here's an idea why don't we get every single person who lives in Australia and America and get every single person out of that country and give it all back to the natives cause they invaded.

im a shiki supporter

Mar 29, 2014 7:25 AM

Mar 2014
Really? I'm in; except that we're probably going to have a hard time. The natives are not in power, they don't run the system. Look at what happened to them; they were displaced and oppressed. It's too late now and the damage has been done. Unlike in Shiki where the Sotoba villagers can still fight the threat and not end up being the prey.

Apologies if I'm too fixated on the invasion thing, I just can't see a reason to justify it.
heathen-queenMar 29, 2014 7:32 AM
Mar 29, 2014 8:33 AM

Jul 2012
heathen-queen said:
Really? I'm in; except that we're probably going to have a hard time. The natives are not in power, they don't run the system. Look at what happened to them; they were displaced and oppressed. It's too late now and the damage has been done. Unlike in Shiki where the Sotoba villagers can still fight the threat and not end up being the prey.

Apologies if I'm too fixated on the invasion thing, I just can't see a reason to justify it.

No no it's fine everyone has a different opinions and points of views we're having a good discussion here........which is being derailed since this is about muroi.

Look at it this way the shiki..... the majority of the shiki are the villagers so you could say that in a way is kinda dyist .......What I mean is that it's kinda what a majority of people would do to a minority of people who they didn't like.........e.g.

In the 50s white extremists would beat up and kill black people
Or
Extremist Muslims killing non muslims and the non muslims was retaliating against them ......this is kinda what I'm trying to get at its like a bunch of Muslims converting to another religion but is hunted by other extremists muslims who sees them as heretics and must be killed ( this is a good example).........but different........the shiki aren't killing people out of fun or malice............. ( Sorry for bringing religion in this )

Yes there was one or two who didn't get along with there families and had them killed like.....

The liquor store guys son killing his grandma who tormented him from the day he was born but that was there fault.
And the kid who had those fish lips and didn't get along with his sister in law and the family saw him as annoyance and he killed he's sister in laws son because they wasn't giving him attention like they used to.

But there was alot of shiki who ether wanted to bring there families to be shiki so they can be reunited.
A few who didn't drink any human blood but was killed anyways like the nurse and the old lady shiki.

These are people who lived in the village as well but was killed thanks to the doctor for not saying anything about the shiki still being them selfs like when they was humans.

The doctor knew about migumi becoming a shiki and didn't say a word to her father that she was a shiki but told him she was dead.

There was humans who didn't take part in the hunt and was ether killed or seen as cowards by the rest who went on the hunts.

I'm kinda glad the way it ended tho even tho I wish a few charecters lived like migumi and the temple people and the nurse and nao and a few others.............the villagers lost the one thing they tried to save but ended up loosing it sooooo it's good to see no one won.........unless you counte that the monk and girl getting away and the doctor thinking to him self if he won or lost.

im a shiki supporter

Mar 29, 2014 10:06 AM

Mar 2014
The villagers were not killing the Shikis due to individual differences but because the shikis were proven to be a threat to their own survival. If the Shikis were not a threat, it would have been just another crazy Salem Witch Trials and I'd easily side with the Shikis.

The Shikis who killed their family so they can be reunited put their family's lives at stake. It's a gamble- you either become a Shiki or be dead. Look at Nao, she was miserable at the end. And what if your relative does not really want to become Shiki? It's rather selfish.

The villagers killed the villagers-turned-to-Shikis because if they did not, they will be the next prey. Despite the fact that the shikis still have the human minds they have, they live as killers. That's how they were trained by Tatsumi at first; they have to kill in order to survive even though they can still drink blood without killing. Those who refuse to do so were left under the sun in the morning.

The nurse and the old lady Shiki who refused to drink blood were in so much pain for restraining themselves. The nurse would die anyway in the hands of Shikis because she chose not to kill (and I salute her for her bravery).

The crime that the liquor store guy, Masao and Megumi did were more heinous than the other Shikis though, because they killed with malice. It's murder (which humans are also perfectly capable of, in real life).

However, the humans' response were extreme and I won't deny that they violated human rights here. As a consequence of the events, we get to see the bad side of humans which we most often see in times of war, when people think that they have a rightful cause.

Even though I side with the humans (and sad about Sotoba because I want to live in a peaceful country village like that), I am also cool with the ending. Almost everyone, Shikis and humans alike, are guilty of killing so no one should really have won. And it's more, I dunno, dramatic.

Sorry for the thread starter. All this time we've been off-topic. haha.
Mar 29, 2014 11:48 AM

Mar 2008
heathen-queen said:
Well said, and don't worry about the 'topic'.

The one thing that you haven't seemed to have touched on that I think is worth meantioning is fear.

All sides were driven by it to some extent. The villagers were obviously fearful of the 'undead', while the newborn shiki were rightfully frightened by their new circumstances. Even Sunako was afraid. And of course, fear is the close-cousin of " the bad side of humans often seen... when people think that they have a rightful cause."
Mar 29, 2014 12:00 PM

Jul 2012
Ckan said:
heathen-queen said:
Well said, and don't worry about the 'topic'.

The one thing that you haven't seemed to have touched on that I think is worth meantioning is fear.

All sides were driven by it to some extent. The villagers were obviously fearful of the 'undead', while the newborn shiki were rightfully frightened by their new circumstances. Even Sunako was afraid. And of course, fear is the close-cousin of " the bad side of humans often seen... when people think that they have a rightful cause."

* nods head in agreement*

im a shiki supporter

Mar 29, 2014 12:29 PM

Jul 2012
heathen-queen said:
The villagers were not killing the Shikis due to individual differences but because the shikis were proven to be a threat to their own survival. If the Shikis were not a threat, it would have been just another crazy Salem Witch Trials and I'd easily side with the Shikis.

The Shikis who killed their family so they can be reunited put their family's lives at stake. It's a gamble- you either become a Shiki or be dead. Look at Nao, she was miserable at the end. And what if your relative does not really want to become Shiki? It's rather selfish.

The villagers killed the villagers-turned-to-Shikis because if they did not, they will be the next prey. Despite the fact that the shikis still have the human minds they have, they live as killers. That's how they were trained by Tatsumi at first; they have to kill in order to survive even though they can still drink blood without killing. Those who refuse to do so were left under the sun in the morning.

The nurse and the old lady Shiki who refused to drink blood were in so much pain for restraining themselves. The nurse would die anyway in the hands of Shikis because she chose not to kill (and I salute her for her bravery).

The crime that the liquor store guy, Masao and Megumi did were more heinous than the other Shikis though, because they killed with malice. It's murder (which humans are also perfectly capable of, in real life).

However, the humans' response were extreme and I won't deny that they violated human rights here. As a consequence of the events, we get to see the bad side of humans which we most often see in times of war, when people think that they have a rightful cause.

Even though I side with the humans (and sad about Sotoba because I want to live in a peaceful country village like that), I am also cool with the ending. Almost everyone, Shikis and humans alike, are guilty of killing so no one should really have won. And it's more, I dunno, dramatic.

Sorry for the thread starter. All this time we've been off-topic. haha.

Well I know it's a diffrent show but look at dance in the vampire bund the vampires in this wanted peace and wanted to live peacefully but the humans still feared and hated them and would hunt them even tho they didn't do anything an even killing humans who they thought was vampires and look at xmen there was humans who hated mutants and attacked them, look at Lucy from Ellen lied she was picked on because of how she looked and was betrayed by a girl who she thought was her friend and she didn't do anything to them. What I'm trying to say that even if the shiki had tried to reach out to humans and say there vampires the humans would of feared them and most likely kill them anyways because that's how humans are we fear and hate anything that's diffrent from us we fear the unknown and we ether attempted to ignore it or destroy it.

About nao I don't think she knew until she fingered it out later, she wanted to go back to being human not that she wanted them to become shiki........she wanted to be reunited with them an she figured it out in the end, I think she was too naive to be honest and was easily swayed. But yeah it was selfish her her to do that but I really think she wanted to be with her family so bad that she'd do it.

The villagers who killed shiki are also killers ........even if they are shiki it's still killing and not we forget about the humans who killed other humans, and that's another reason why they did it they didn't want to die so they did it so they don't get burned under the sun ......come on everyone wants to live even if we have to do horrible things..........like if we have to kill in order to love another day.......look at the gladiators they fought every day with one person after the other and if they didn't fight they'd die.

Yes there are those who aren't afraid to die but not everyone's they same as the nurse ........the nurse became a nurse because she wanted to save lives that's why she wouldn't kill anyone that was the sort of person she was but again everyone's diffrent and not like the nurse.

Well.migumi didn't exactly kill like stab them or bashed there heads in or anything like that.....she did what she did as a shiki would drink the blood of her victims she turned the girl who she didn't liked father in to one who drank the blood of he's wife. She basically did what other shiki did.......drink blood.

No it's fine I'm enjoying my self talking with you.

Yeah we do see the ugly face of humans which is great to see.

Let continue I'm enjoying this

im a shiki supporter

Mar 29, 2014 11:27 PM

Mar 2014
Yeah, I forgot to mention fear in my previous post but Ckan has explained it better.

Anyway, let's continue as you please. The Shikis source of food are the humans and the source of food of humans are let's say cattles, to simplify. It's ethical for humans to eat and kill cattles as it is may be ethical for Shikis too to kill humans for blood, since they need to survive. The problem is that the humans are able to fight against being food, unlike the cattle, and fight if they must to survive too. Like bears mauling hunters. It's just a battle for survival.

And then I realized that the Shikis do not really need to kill in order to obtain blood. In one scene, Sunako drank from a wineglass. So it's not really necessary to drain your victim blood which why does the Shikis keep on doing, increasing the body count further? And clearly, they do not consider other options of feeding themselves other than killing, they were raising the newly recruited Shikis to be killers too. It's going to be painful if they resisted their first kill and not every one is as strong as the nurse; in the end it has become the shiki's nature to kill. For me, it's the fault of the Shiki leaders (esp Tatsumi) here- they're really are that bloodthirsty (pun intented). Other feeding options could have prevented the battle between Shikis and the humans.

Those series that you mentioned will really make you lose faith in humanity (may I add Witch Hunter Robin to that? I love that series.) I once read in a comic that "Humans are not really afraid of the unknown. In fact they are cool with it, as long as it stays unknown. What they fear is that when the unknown makes itself known." So if the shikis just hide their identities and pretend that they are humans, as long as they do not incite mass hysteria, they will not be pursued. They were doing a great job before they attempted to claim Sotoba, right?

Or just a hilarious idea: if sunako really wants to let it all out and obtain an army of shikis, she could have founded a cult that promises eternal life. Their claim is more honest than most of the religions anyway- I'm sure there will be lots of volunteers and they will never be hungry again. haha. we can only speculate though, as these things did not happen in their world.

At this point of our conversation, I also realize that may be Sunako's not really evil; she just have a foolish dream and she surrounded herself with wrong persons who ill-advised her like Tatsumi. He's really the vilest among the Shikis (but I love his character btw)- forcing the Shikis to kill and blackmailing them. But I'm sure Sunako has learned her lesson now when it comes to attempting to own a village again. And with Muroi by her side, I know she'll be advised to consider other ways of obtaining food.

As for Megumi, yes she did not stabbed nor bashed anyone in the head and just drank blood but with malice. She wanted them dead for her own reasons. It's still murder (I think of other shiki killings as homicide).
Mar 30, 2014 3:47 AM

Jul 2012
heathen-queen said:
Yeah, I forgot to mention fear in my previous post but Ckan has explained it better.

Anyway, let's continue as you please. The Shikis source of food are the humans and the source of food of humans are let's say cattles, to simplify. It's ethical for humans to eat and kill cattles as it is may be ethical for Shikis too to kill humans for blood, since they need to survive. The problem is that the humans are able to fight against being food, unlike the cattle, and fight if they must to survive too. Like bears mauling hunters. It's just a battle for survival.

And then I realized that the Shikis do not really need to kill in order to obtain blood. In one scene, Sunako drank from a wineglass. So it's not really necessary to drain your victim blood which why does the Shikis keep on doing, increasing the body count further? And clearly, they do not consider other options of feeding themselves other than killing, they were raising the newly recruited Shikis to be killers too. It's going to be painful if they resisted their first kill and not every one is as strong as the nurse; in the end it has become the shiki's nature to kill. For me, it's the fault of the Shiki leaders (esp Tatsumi) here- they're really are that bloodthirsty (pun intented). Other feeding options could have prevented the battle between Shikis and the humans.

Those series that you mentioned will really make you lose faith in humanity (may I add Witch Hunter Robin to that? I love that series.) I once read in a comic that "Humans are not really afraid of the unknown. In fact they are cool with it, as long as it stays unknown. What they fear is that when the unknown makes itself known." So if the shikis just hide their identities and pretend that they are humans, as long as they do not incite mass hysteria, they will not be pursued. They were doing a great job before they attempted to claim Sotoba, right?

Or just a hilarious idea: if sunako really wants to let it all out and obtain an army of shikis, she could have founded a cult that promises eternal life. Their claim is more honest than most of the religions anyway- I'm sure there will be lots of volunteers and they will never be hungry again. haha. we can only speculate though, as these things did not happen in their world.

At this point of our conversation, I also realize that may be Sunako's not really evil; she just have a foolish dream and she surrounded herself with wrong persons who ill-advised her like Tatsumi. He's really the vilest among the Shikis (but I love his character btw)- forcing the Shikis to kill and blackmailing them. But I'm sure Sunako has learned her lesson now when it comes to attempting to own a village again. And with Muroi by her side, I know she'll be advised to consider other ways of obtaining food.

As for Megumi, yes she did not stabbed nor bashed anyone in the head and just drank blood but with malice. She wanted them dead for her own reasons. It's still murder (I think of other shiki killings as homicide).

Good God this is so much fun..........and I mean that ^_^

Actually that'd be a great series ......where animals start talking human speech and walks and talks like humans but they still kill them for food and the animals start to fight back..........there'll be humans think there superior to these animals who now walk and talk like humans and have intelligence of that of humans or even more................this time the animals don't kill humans but humans still killing animals ............And yes I get that animals kill other animals to survive thats nature but to humans these animals are lower then them ........Well to some at least ......

Here's another example ......let's says a lioness kills a few children and took the meat back to her cubs to feed them ........the lioness is just feeding her cubs......If she didn't feed them they would of died of starvation now some would see this as nature........ Some would see it ad murder and would hunt and kill the lioness and her cubs..........would this be right or wrong.

Well sunako had other idea's......... a place where shiki can live in peace and she choose the village, heres reasons why she was sympathetic-

She was abandoned by her family and looked for them even tho they didn't want her because of what she became and she wanted the family she craved for.

Even tho she got her shiki family like

Chizuru * mother figure *
The guy with the glasses * not sure*
The werewolf kid *a brother figure*
The guy with the gun * father figure* he was human
The werewolf lady * a sort of big sister *
And a few others

They couldn't age and had to continue moving around so no one would be suspicious of why they didn't age and she thought they'd find a place where they can settle down for good..........an I known what your going to say but let me finish............. sunako was still a child and time had stopped for and her development in her body and brain had stopped so really she was still a child so you could say it was a child's pipe dream which it was...........even the werewolf kid who was on her side even said it wouldn't work in the manga........It's like a 5 year old wanting everything to be sweets and chocolate ........It's a child's pipe dream and wouldn't happen ......sunako is immature and again is still a child which is why I can sympathize with her that's why she did it she and her family didn't do it because they hated anyone or did it because they wanted to kill but to have there own permanent home for them selfs for all shiki to live.

So yes they could of used other means to drink human blood but there plan was have the village to them selfs where all shiki can relax and be free and again it was a child's pipe dream.

Well that's both true and not true because some humans ware afraid of the unknown ( il take back that all humans are afraid of the unknown) but the vampires in dance in the vampire bund wanted to be acknowledged and known because look at it this way.........-

If they did keep them selfs hidden and was found out they would of been feared and still hunted which is why it was a good move to be acknowledged by everyone and say they wanted peace and a place to stay and its thanks to the princess who used her money to threaten the humans who didn't reply with her demands..........I mean do you really think that if she didn't have any money and just went up to the humans and say.......hey we come in peace were vampires were looking for a place to stay and we have blood banks and such so you don't need to worry about us attacking humans .................she should all this and was still threatened and had arguments with the humans who said no but in a debate you need to have something up your sleeve to get people's attention.

What I'm getting at is even if they tried to say.....we're shiki and we com in peace the humans wouldn't of excepted them because they are the unknown ......Well some would have most wouldn't. And again they wouldn't have lived there for long because they stopped ageing and the humans would of go suspicious and everyone in the village was really noisy in other people business.

She didn't want a army she wanted a place where shiki can live freely she wasn't war hungry, besides that's not what she wanted and yes your right it is speculation.

^_^ I'm glad to hear you say that because yrs I agree she's not perfect she's not evil monster who takes joy in killing others.......but someone who just values her own life and just feeds her self to live another day.

I'm glad you see it that way this was a fun chat. Yeah I hope muroi will be a good guardian for her from now on

Well migumis like the other humans who took joy in killing like the bearded guy and the people who let shiki suffer by letting them bake in the sun.......she wasn't the only one who took pleasure in killing others............... in fact she didn't exactly kill any one .........she turned the girls father n to a shiki and he killed her mother too so yeah.

I'm glad we had this heated chat............there are 3 types of people on here

1 the ones who just chat and have fun
2 the ones who have heated discussions about things and won't back down.......but is still fun to be in
3 and the ones who shouts in your hear and goes on and on saying everything you say is shit and everything they say is right and sees your views as idiotic and let me tell ya there are a few of those around,

I'm the second one and have dealed with the 3rd kind a few times before but sometimes il be on the line of the 3rd because of the 3rds who really get on your nerves to a point where you want them to shut up about it because they can't give you a fun discussion but forces there views on you and tells you everything that you view is stupid ......you know

P.S
Sorry I'm using a devise to send my messages and I miss place my thumbs on the wrong buttons lol
geekfreak17aMar 30, 2014 6:10 AM

im a shiki supporter

Mar 30, 2014 6:15 PM

Mar 2014
I believe there's no right or wrong when it comes to a battle for survival, it's just a matter of whoever wins. For so many years, humans have been in the top of the food chain and when a new species (say like the shikis) emerge that threatens their position, there'll be a battle. But hey, mankind struggled against their natural predators for millenia so let's give them the credit for that.

Yes, Sunako had that foolish dream but I don't think she's immature or stucked with a 5-year old brain. Her physical body stopped developing but she's just as intelligent as an adult (like Claudia, in Interview with the Vampire). No 5 year-old can say philosophical stuff like the impartiality of death. It was even said that in the relationship of Chizuru and Sunako, Sunako is the mother.

Case in point, I believe that she should have seen the flaws in her dream. We have our own personal wants but as we get older, we realize when it is not feasible to have that. And that dream has proven itself to be a bad idea since it led to her downfall and the death of her family.

Hiding yourself from the people seemed better- at least those shikis she called family would have been alive. There are many fictional vampires who have lived in peace hiding their identities; even the lame vampires in Twilight can do that. Besides, they are rich and capable of mind control. If it is acceptance is what she wants, it is hard for humans, yes. But they can also relax and enjoy in human territories while hiding (and plenty of food in the big cities too- they don't have to kill since they can jump from one person to another; just cause an anemia epidemic, maybe).

Them wanting the village that's why they kill- I believe that's what I said I am against at right from the start.

There are many fictional works that portray vampires as sympathetic creatures but there are also many than can portray them as vicious killers too. In my opinion, Shiki tried to balance it so the viewers/readers can sympathize with the shikis but still see the reason why humans have to act. Maybe it's just that appeal to emotions does not work very well for me when it comes to a battle for survival.

This discussion benefits me, too, as I can practice my English. :)
Mar 30, 2014 7:00 PM

Jul 2012
heathen-queen said:
I believe there's no right or wrong when it comes to a battle for survival, it's just a matter of whoever wins. For so many years, humans have been in the top of the food chain and when a new species (say like the shikis) emerge that threatens their position, there'll be a battle. But hey, mankind struggled against their natural predators for millenia so let's give them the credit for that.

Yes, Sunako had that foolish dream but I don't think she's immature or stucked with a 5-year old brain. Her physical body stopped developing but she's just as intelligent as an adult (like Claudia, in Interview with the Vampire). No 5 year-old can say philosophical stuff like the impartiality of death. It was even said that in the relationship of Chizuru and Sunako, Sunako is the mother.

Case in point, I believe that she should have seen the flaws in her dream. We have our own personal wants but as we get older, we realize when it is not feasible to have that. And that dream has proven itself to be a bad idea since it led to her downfall and the death of her family.

Hiding yourself from the people seemed better- at least those shikis she called family would have been alive. There are many fictional vampires who have lived in peace hiding their identities; even the lame vampires in Twilight can do that. Besides, they are rich and capable of mind control. If it is acceptance is what she wants, it is hard for humans, yes. But they can also relax and enjoy in human territories while hiding (and plenty of food in the big cities too- they don't have to kill since they can jump from one person to another; just cause an anemia epidemic, maybe).

Them wanting the village that's why they kill- I believe that's what I said I am against at right from the start.

There are many fictional works that portray vampires as sympathetic creatures but there are also many than can portray them as vicious killers too. In my opinion, Shiki tried to balance it so the viewers/readers can sympathize with the shikis but still see the reason why humans have to act. Maybe it's just that appeal to emotions does not work very well for me when it comes to a battle for survival.

This discussion benefits me, too, as I can practice my English. :)

Well to be honest the shiki have been around longer as humans so really the shiki are the top of the food chain

Well I would say sunako is the mother of the shiki, and again it was a child's pipe dream which wasn't going to work anyways, again that makes her immature she has the body of a child and mind of a child..... we can cram info in to our brains but we still can been immature.

Yeah but that was when there was fewer people and as we know we're a over populated planet and would of been found out eventually, but they cant go in to Sun light they can't age they can't go near religious objects......someone sharp would have caught on to them eventually.

Again it was sunakos idea to have a place of there own........ even a few of her shiki family wanted to settle Down ....... I believe it was the werewolf woman who hated to hide an wanted to be free of worry.

Well I wouldn't say they killed but tried to turn everyone in to shiki....... I believe that if they had the power to turn everyone in to shiki I'm sure they would have but it was a 50/50 chance and a 30/70 chance of becoming a werewolf cause it was here dream to have a place where shiki roamed an it would of been better if she had more shiki on her side so that's what I bbelieve if she could turn everyone in to a shiki.

Yes but the series also shows how humans can be the bigger monster then what there fighting.

Well I hope I'm helping you with your English lol

im a shiki supporter

Mar 31, 2014 8:51 AM

Mar 2014
Well, was it stated in the series that they're older than humans? I assumed they were a new species. If so, then I stand corrected; humans are the dominant species but not at the top of the food chain. But it's quite irrelevant now, so let's leave it at that.

So we both agree that Sunako's dream is childish but I am still not buying the idea that Sunako has a 5 year-old mind. A genius child is someone who crams info into its brain but still makes decisions like a child. No, Sunako is able to deduce that killing Dr. Ozaki will make the mob disperse; clearly not how a child would think. When it was said that Sunako is like a mother to Chizuru, it means that she is able to control (such as discipline or become lenient to) the childish nature of Chizuru.

The problems they might encounter if they continued hiding- they can easily solve that. They can always reason out a photosensitivity disease, etc. They need not to associate themselves with humans anyway. If someone found out about them, they can always use mind control. Even human criminals in the wanted list can hide themselves in crowded places effectively. Still, the series has proven that hiding is much better than pursuing that dream of hers (unless they're thinking of suicide).

When you transform into shiki, you die; you are killed. If there is other means of survival that does not involve killing but the shikis still kill because (you say) they wanted to turn the others into shikis, then that makes it even more devious. They do not kill for survival anymore but for personal gain. It's not like a human killing a cattle anymore. It's not like Sunako killing the women who bring her food because she's hungry. Well, not all shikis think like that but they are being manipulated to act like that. Now, this diminishes my sympathy for the shikis, sorry.

The villagers built Sotoba, they do not owe anything to the shikis and so, the shikis have no right to claim their village nor transform them into shikis. Albeit the means of the humans were wrong, their intent to defend their village is justifiable.
Mar 31, 2014 4:26 PM

Jul 2012
heathen-queen said:
Well, was it stated in the series that they're older than humans? I assumed they were a new species. If so, then I stand corrected; humans are the dominant species but not at the top of the food chain. But it's quite irrelevant now, so let's leave it at that.

So we both agree that Sunako's dream is childish but I am still not buying the idea that Sunako has a 5 year-old mind. A genius child is someone who crams info into its brain but still makes decisions like a child. No, Sunako is able to deduce that killing Dr. Ozaki will make the mob disperse; clearly not how a child would think. When it was said that Sunako is like a mother to Chizuru, it means that she is able to control (such as discipline or become lenient to) the childish nature of Chizuru.

The problems they might encounter if they continued hiding- they can easily solve that. They can always reason out a photosensitivity disease, etc. They need not to associate themselves with humans anyway. If someone found out about them, they can always use mind control. Even human criminals in the wanted list can hide themselves in crowded places effectively. Still, the series has proven that hiding is much better than pursuing that dream of hers (unless they're thinking of suicide).

When you transform into shiki, you die; you are killed. If there is other means of survival that does not involve killing but the shikis still kill because (you say) they wanted to turn the others into shikis, then that makes it even more devious. They do not kill for survival anymore but for personal gain. It's not like a human killing a cattle anymore. It's not like Sunako killing the women who bring her food because she's hungry. Well, not all shikis think like that but they are being manipulated to act like that. Now, this diminishes my sympathy for the shikis, sorry.

The villagers built Sotoba, they do not owe anything to the shikis and so, the shikis have no right to claim their village nor transform them into shikis. Albeit the means of the humans were wrong, their intent to defend their village is justifiable.

I swear the shiki are as old as humanity sunako got bitten by a Nobel from another country and that was over a 100 years a go sooooo I'd say they have been around as long as humanity.

Listen can we both agree to disagree with each other because I tried here.........not that I'm bored or anything but we also derailed this thread.........

I think we should star at the beginning but on a new thread called shiki supporters vs human supporters...........What do you say.......plus I need some shut eye so I can debate properly

im a shiki supporter

Mar 31, 2014 5:23 PM

Mar 2014
well, if we do that, i'm afraid i will be just repeating myself. besides, my interests are lying elsewhere (outside anime) right now. my visits to this site are becoming less frequent.
Mar 31, 2014 11:59 PM

Jul 2012
heathen-queen said:
well, if we do that, i'm afraid i will be just repeating myself. besides, my interests are lying elsewhere (outside anime) right now. my visits to this site are becoming less frequent.

Well we could just make another thread and put all the derailed stuff in it and just take it from there and continue there

im a shiki supporter

May 27, 2019 1:53 AM
Aug 2018
Animefreak17a said:
The doctor is the worst then the monk

Why are you blaming the doctor??

I clearly remember him telling the villagers that they dont need to kill those whose just under the hypnosis because it will be a murder. He's not even watching when the humans kill fellow humans in the pipes and in the temple. He just couldn't control everyone at that point when they started to kill like that.
And about his wife, i think that what he needs to do in order to produce some evidence. Cause no one in the village want their loved ones to have an autopsy so he doesn't have a choice.

Sorry even though he is stupid at some part i think he did his part.
Aug 19, 2020 1:26 PM
Aug 2020
yall saying that he muroi didnt interfere right? but he tried to save sunako for what? so that she can make another bunch of vampire to take over another peaceful village? and if u say she wont, how can u say? how will she continue to survive? he kept on going abt not killing others when the shiki is already dead? he chose shiki over his own humanity? and if he wanted to die, did he really need to save shiki? why shki? he felt pity to sunako? he didnt feel any pity to the villagers? when he wanted to die he couldve help the villagers not the shikis, and for the other shikis, they deserve to die--i mean, not in the bad way-- because they were already killed, and they should die to rest their souls or whatever it is, remember the senior monk? his father? he said he was glad that he could die already since he was turned as a shiki, and I think it was the most right choice. Thats my opinion and idc abt yall saying bad stuffs abt me
Oct 10, 2020 5:17 PM

Nov 2008
Binged the show this week.

The shiki are complete idiots who screwed themselves over.

1. First of all, THEY are the ones who invaded the village and tried to turn it into Shiki Village...did they seriously expect it to go well? Makes sense the leader is a dumb child whose brain never developed. xD

2. If they really wanted to co-exist peacefully in the village, they should have been smart about it and just feed on rotating humans; if sucking four times causes death, just bite a human one time, choose another, bite them one time and so on. BITE FOUR HUMANS ONCE.

That way nobody would freaking die and the shiki wouldn't multiply?

Why are they so stupid? xD

Toshio chose 'needs of the many outweigh needs of the few' and this logic is pretty much never wrong if you want to save more lives than take them.

I was rooting for him the whole time. :T

Oct 10, 2020 9:23 PM

Nov 2018
Yeah, he’s kind of an idiot.
Nov 3, 2020 6:36 PM

Oct 2018
If you dislike Muroi, I recommend you to rewatch the anime
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Nov 4, 2020 9:44 PM

Jun 2019
Muroi is firmly entrenched in my top favorite characters list for good reason.

Sometimes I feel as if I'm one of the few who loved the series and both really loves and enjoys the characters of Junior Monk Seishin Muroi and Dr. Toshio Ozaki in different respects.

It's really, at least in the background or as one of the major subsets of the main plot, a story about two childhood friends who find themselves on irreconcilable life paths with different ideologies which are about to war with one another, all for, in their minds, very good and real and justified reasons.

Dr. Ozaki, unlike his mother, never cared a scintilla about all the accolades and prestige of being a doctor or taking over his father's title and may not have wanted or resisted it as a kid, but came to genuinely invest himself in and begin to love his practice and profession, the discipline and advances of modern medicine, and the welfare of the population of Sotoba village as a whole, from children to seniors. He never cared about the money and fancy cars or praise and was not materialistic. When he came to understand the village was threatened and the true nature and magnitude of the threat, he acted, and employed any means necessary to defend the physical survival and livelihood of his home and the people inhabiting it. He is an altruist.

With Muroi, he also never wanted to just blindly take on the profession of his father/family and assume a preordained role and title, but unlike Ozaki, he resisted it more if not physically in practice then in subtle passive aggressive ways in thought, spirit, and eventually action. He became despondent and did not identify with his position at all. He could not see what his father saw in it and neither knew if even his father ever could. He was still a wandering lost boy. His heart was in his series of novels. That's why, perhaps unknowingly but perhaps tacitly, beckoning with a cry for help and escape, he cried out through his writing and his voice reached Sunako and Seishiro. Sunako states it was Muroi's description of the village's surroundings as an author which convinced Seishiro to move their family operation to Sotoba. He inadvertently invited the whole calamity on the village, but maybe it wasn't so accidental. It was true to his heart.

I believe Muroi is suffering from existential depression and it isn't so much that he sees shiki as "good" or "heroes" or humans as "bad" or "villains" or anything nonsensical like that. It's more like he sees Sunako and the shiki more generally as the personification of death itself, and as that, for someone who himself previously attempted suicide or at least self-mutilation/self-harm, an escape from the mundanity and mortal rigors and constraints of life. He doesn't hate the villagers or any person in particular. He just sees life as a farce and himself in a prison in his role so is morally ambivalent/apathetic to the shiki being let loose as a weapon to sow chaos.

And I really believe people are doing a disservice to the series and simplifying the positions and perspectives of its principal characters when this good vs. evil mythos is foisted on them which I see in a lot of reviews and analysis; Shiki is about how grey every living thing down to the last organism is.

WatchTillTandavaNov 4, 2020 9:50 PM
Nov 7, 2020 3:05 PM
Oct 2020
Muroi is like Death himself.

• he brought Shiki to his village (Sunako's such a fan of his books!)
  • he's very impartial - according to him, Shiki deserve to live just as much as anyone else
  • he disapproves of violence, but doesn't move a finger to stop it and save some lives
  • he's been 'dead' all along, in a metaphorical sort of way - with his seemingly botched suicide he successfully severed his ties to the society
  • he brought the vengeful villagers to his temple, causing the deaths of the temple community
  • he saved Sunako (the only person he's ever saved), ensuring the cycle of death will continue
  • he became Shiki himself, meaning that now he's dead in every sense of the word

I can't say I'm particularly fond of Muroi, but he's a fascinating character for sure.

edit - also I just realized he refused to give Kaori a posthumous name when she asked him for one - and she then became one of the few survivors xD
mysimasNov 7, 2020 3:25 PM
Jan 25, 2021 3:34 AM
Mangaka

Apr 2018
Pan151 said:
masaba said:
Your friends, family, everything you've ever known and/or loved....

His family was killed by the villagers, led by his best (and only) friend. He has nothing left in the village and, like his book character, he just wanted to get away from it all all along.

Besides, in the end he was killed and became risen himself, so he cannot ever return even if he wanted to.

Try actually watching the series first before complaining.

Exactly. You missed the entire point of the show saying this.
The shiki might be bad hunting down humans, but the humans are also bad for brutally murdering the shiki, just because they think that the shiki are the wrongdoers.
They don't even attempt to find a way to live together in peace. They might be one.

(A thing I have in mind is that they can support the shiki in town with blood transfusions from the blood banks in the big cities - that way we don't deprive people of blood, and the shiki's won't have to hunt people.)

Seishin was an interesting character imo.
And because of exactly what this person said, I think what he's doing makes sense for him to do. It'd be his nature, because of all that he's gone through. Just like how the towns people naturally want to make the shiki suffer, if they lost someone to them.

Everyone was cruel in some way.
It's like society in the real world.
May 4, 2021 11:26 AM

Mar 2020
he hated his obligation of being the priest, just like the character in his novel, and wanted to be freed of it, even if it means that villagers will die or he kills himself. he was kinda glad when shiki arrived to relief him of his oh so tiresome obligations.

yeah, complete asshole, but his character makes sense from this perspective.
Oct 17, 2021 9:24 AM
Feb 2018
yeah i totally agree,

damn you seishin
Oct 24, 2021 8:29 AM

Jul 2017
I completely diagree. And I just read this whole thread and there are so many good points from this side I could never say it better. I really hope people who think his actions are "weird", "irrational" etc read the first page of the discussion. Shiki is quite deep, Seishin is extremely deep. He's not a good person, but he's so complex I'd never dare call him a bad character.

Oct 30, 2021 7:40 PM
Oct 2021
Nah, Seishin is a bad character and is about as deep as an evaporating puddle.

The whole 'everyone has a right to life' thing is bunkum, it can't work in the Shiki's case. They kill in order to survive, therefore the 'right to life' of the humans is violated. Muroi's own view on everyone living is destroyed right there.

One of the earlier posts mentioned a lioness killing a kid to feed her cubs and whether you would call that murder. Of course not, murder is the unlawful taking of someone's life. But it is still killing and just as you don't blame the lioness for killing a kid to feed her cubs, you can't blame the village for killing the lioness to keep the rest of their kids from being eaten.

Muroi though would lament that the lioness is lonely and sad and would just watch her take another kid because hey, everyone has a right to live right? No, more like Seishin feels he has the right to not get involved and therefore feel as if he hasn't made a choice. But the choice to do nothing is still a choice.

In the end, the dude had deep seeded hatred for the village because he felt 'trapped' and he felt the Shiki were 'free', so wanted to join them but still wanted to also feel like he was just in doing so. Just like the character in his novel who killed his 'well loved and behaved younger brother' in order to be free but turns out the younger brother was just the civilized version of the man himself.

So he is a bad character because the show did not lean enough into either his self-delusion, his hypocrisy, or his hatred. They wanted to portray him as the flip side of the doctor and in doing so made him look ridiculous.

Side Note:
To everyone complaining about what the doctor did to his turned-wife, it really is not all that surprising. She was turned from a fun loving and hard working woman into a killing monster so he used her existence to protect others and, in a way, that honored her life more than anything else.

Were I to turn, I would want to be killed before I began killing. And if in doing so, I could aid my former loved ones in defending themselves against those who turned me, all the better. It doesn't make him a mad man, it makes him human - there are lionesses eating his villages kids so he uses one to figure out how to beat the rest. His wife as a shiki wasn't his wife anymore, nor even a person in a literal sense.
EtchESketchOct 30, 2021 7:49 PM
Oct 31, 2021 7:46 AM
Nov 2020
For real. Throwing everything away, abandoning his family and friends for a kid like that, smh.
Mar 8, 2023 1:58 AM

Jul 2022
See all the hypocrites in this thread riding him and saying he is 'deep' and 'complex' and 'intersting'. Yeah right he is about as deep as a puddle as mentioned above by a sane human.
Mar 21, 2023 9:39 AM

Jan 2021
Not ''one of the'', he is the worst anime character.

*Damn Lolicons* is the word.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i become a boomer or new seasonals animes are not hitting the spot anymore ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiki Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 30, 2010

958 by mairyland »»
Apr 10, 11:14 AM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Dec 9, 2010

202 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:46 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Dec 2, 2010

312 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 5:17 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Nov 25, 2010

226 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 4:40 PM

Poll: » Shiki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Nuzuky - Oct 14, 2010

245 by jumbosan »»
Jan 31, 12:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.