Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 25, 2011 12:59 AM

Nov 2009
I've been thinking about this for awhile now. Lately, I've been looking back on the children shows I watched as a kid. Sure, I enjoyed them a lot back then, but comparing it to today's standards, they're pretty awful. I think "Should I rate this when I enjoyed this as a kid or when I watch this today?" Granted, children shows are just that. For that specific audience. But even so, I can see myself going back to a few and enjoying them to this day. [i.e. Digimon]. I'm curious how everyone else rates these shows nowadays.
Mar 25, 2011 1:11 AM

Mar 2009
I rate it based on how much I enjoyed it back then.
Mar 25, 2011 1:23 AM

Dec 2010
The present.
Mar 25, 2011 1:27 AM

May 2009
AlexSadist-sama said:

-- I'm looking for "The One" and I'll find her more quickly if I audition two at a time. Think you can do better? --
-- The World God Only Knows -- Toaru Majutsu no Index -- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai --
Mar 25, 2011 1:34 AM

Sep 2010
How much I liked it back then.
Mar 25, 2011 1:39 AM

Sep 2008
DavetheZombie said:
I enjoyed them a lot back then, but comparing it to today's standards, they're pretty awful.

The shows aren't awful, it's just your perception that has changed.

That works the other way around as well, for a "grown up" person who's been watching only the kids shows before, any, even the worst "mature" show would seem as a masterpiece.
Mar 25, 2011 1:52 AM

Feb 2010
AlexSadist-sama said:
Mar 25, 2011 4:29 AM
Feb 2011
if there pre 90's Anime of this mold i rate based on How well they Todays Crop holds up to them
Mar 25, 2011 6:31 AM
May 2009
How I felt when I watched it. I mean Digimon Xros wars is actually pretty good, really has that shonen jump feel to it.
Mar 25, 2011 6:34 AM
Nov 2010
I'll give them 10s because I'm a nostalgiafag
Mar 25, 2011 7:57 AM

Dec 2009
I always rate shit on how I remember them - ratings are always subject to change.

Also, if you're trying to rail on Digimon, Monster Rancher, Yu-Gi-Oh or some shit, kindly get the fuck out. Those shows were amazing and if you don't like them now you are a tremendous faggot.
Your favorite anime is shit.
Mar 25, 2011 7:59 AM

Sep 2010
I know what you mean though, if I watch something I liked as a kid usually I find it irritating now. So If I rate it I tend to stick with what I probably would when I was younger.

Mar 25, 2011 8:20 AM

Nov 2010
I just rate how I feel at the moment, I enjoyed Medabots when I was ten or so but I don't really care it other than a little nostalgia now.
Looking at posts on the Internet wouldn't bother me so much if people didn't also mix up he and she.
Mar 25, 2011 8:23 AM

Jan 2009
I definitely rate it according to how I felt about it in terms of enjoyment back then, but there is a slight bias, too. Otherwise, they'd all be in the 8-10 range, but I generally have them a 7 or lower.
Mar 25, 2011 8:54 AM

Jan 2008
They're better. The old ones.

Digimon S1 > Digmon Xros Wars (or w/e) x1000. New sequels/continuations of older (children) Anime are horrible now. Even the games suck for them now.
Mar 25, 2011 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
i havnt added most of them since i dont know if i ever finished them as a kid. but id probably right them fairly high if i enjoyed them alot as a kid.
Mar 25, 2011 9:27 AM

Jul 2009
If it's a good show then it's a good show, no matter what the target audience is.
I'm quite odd; I can still watch early pokemon and fine it good, even though I have moved on from it. This isn't blind loyalty, as I can look back on anything and ask myself "Why did I like that show", yet if the story is good, characters are decent and scenario's are well thought out; the show is enjoyable and timeless.

Mar 25, 2011 9:42 AM

Feb 2005
I always change scores to be up to date with my current tastes. Giving Pokemon a 8 for example, would ruin the whole scoring system on my list.
That being said, I do keep in mind that something is a series for children, and while it certainly won't get a top score, I'll still give it a high score if I think it's good at what it does, the target audience taken into account.
Mar 25, 2011 9:49 AM

Jun 2008
seishi-sama said:
DavetheZombie said:
I enjoyed them a lot back then, but comparing it to today's standards, they're pretty awful.

That works the other way around as well, for a "grown up" person who's been watching only the kids shows before, any, even the worst "mature" show would seem as a masterpiece.

Doesn't that mean that they really are shit and you just didn't know it because you saw nothing better?

Personally i don't watch them and if i do i will probably bury them if they ain't truly good.
I don't believe is an excuse making shit because your audience are children and get excited easily.
A good show is a good show no matter what. If you liked a show as a child that now seems bad, is simply because you saw nothing good to compare it with it. Even shit might seem like a decent meal to someone that has always been eating them and never tasted other food.

I believe kids don't need shows that are especially made to look retarded and boring as hell if you watch them as an adult. They can cope just fine with shows that will seem fun for an adult.
Of course i was like that from a child. Power Ranges started when i was a small kid and while other kids where going crazy i was wondering why they like that brainless shit. The same with many kid like shows. I was going crazy about Dragonball and even now as an adult Dragonball is fun to watch. I was wondering why they liked stupid Pokemon too although it was slightly better than Power Rangers at least.
Also look at Ika Musume. It looks more like a show made for children but damn is awesome and fun to watch no matter the age. I saw it and i enjoyed it very much.

If Dragonball can do it and Ika Musume can do it, there is no excuse of killing the braincells of small children by feating them stupid shit. The show simply sucks and that is all.
MonadMar 25, 2011 9:54 AM
Mar 25, 2011 11:54 AM

May 2010
Aria =)
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 25, 2011 12:01 PM
Nov 2010
Confucius said:
Aria =)

What's with the random post ?
Mar 25, 2011 12:02 PM

May 2010
SuperSaiyen said:
Confucius said:
Aria =)

What's with the random post ?

Woops, I should've elaborated more.

I never really finished any of the children shows like Pokemon so I can't rate them, but Aria is for all ages, so I can rate it based on my set of ratings
Mar 25, 2011 12:04 PM

Aug 2010
uhh i just re-watch them for "TEH LOLz" and the compare what i think of it now compared to when i was little. =p
Mar 25, 2011 8:14 PM
Jul 2018
As much as I love pokemon RPG's and Yugiohs tcg
Thats not going to stop me from giving them the lowest possible score.
Again just so I dont get somebody flaming me
I still play POKEMON AND YUGIOH.
Mar 25, 2011 8:17 PM
Jul 2018
Confucius said:
Aria =)

Aria isn't for children, it's for people with good taste. age not taken into account.
Mar 25, 2011 8:29 PM

May 2010
jpem said:
Confucius said:
Aria =)

Aria isn't for children, it's for people with good taste. age not taken into account.

Just like LoGH
Mar 25, 2011 8:29 PM

May 2010
Captain-Z said:

I stopped playing YuGiOh now because they ruined the game by releasing overpowered cards
Mar 25, 2011 11:50 PM
Jul 2018
Confucius said:

I stopped playing YuGiOh now because they ruined the game by releasing overpowered cards

Okay? I know what you mean though goddamn Six Sam's r*pe me every time.
Mar 25, 2011 11:59 PM

Nov 2009
seishi-sama said:
DavetheZombie said:

I mean like, I decided to watch one episode of Hamtaro, and I saw really awful character design and voice acting. I'm not sure how I let it get passed me when I initially watched it. It's odd to see how low your standards were when you were a kid. Because honestly, watching Hamtaro in this day and age, is kinda boring. However, I'm able to go back to Dexter's Lab or those classic Cartoon network shows, no problem. I still laugh at them every now and then, not as hard as I use to, but they're still pretty enjoyable. I suppose I could just rate them how I used to enjoy them, but something about that rating system doesn't sit well with me,
Mar 26, 2011 1:26 AM

Mar 2010
I'm still a kid at heart so I enjoy them XD Of course I notice art,voice acting etc a lot more than I did as a child
Mar 26, 2011 2:57 AM
Sep 2008
I vote based on how much I liked them as a kid I guess. How good they are as kids shows. Digimon gets a "Very Good" and Digimon Frontier gets a "Very Bad", with everything else in-between.
Mar 26, 2011 3:19 AM

Aug 2010
I kinda still enjoy a lot of kids shows now so it doesn't really matter for me.
Mar 26, 2011 6:42 AM

Oct 2010
KeiranShikari said:
I kinda still enjoy a lot of kids shows now so it doesn't really matter for me.

Yeah, same here.

The experience can be very various indeed. I rewatched some shows I have always had in great esteem (for anime, Pokemon; for non-anime, The Brave Little Toaster), and I got disappointed. So had to rate it lower than I originally could think of.

Does it mean I have to watch it from another perspective? Maybe. But otherwise there are some child shows I am enjoying now. I think that, while it's difficult sometimes to judge with perspective, the good shows remain equally good and easily enjoyable no matter you watch them when you're 5, 10 or 20 years old. That has happened with some Disney classics like Pinocchio (which I actually liked even more now than before) or Dumbo, I consider Babe one of the top10 movies I watched last year (and it was a very productive year in cinema viewing), and for anime I enjoy Chii's Sweet Home more than the Otomo and Oshii efforts I've seen so far.
Mar 26, 2011 9:24 AM

Oct 2010
I rate them on how much I enjoyed them back then.
Mar 26, 2011 9:33 AM

Jul 2008
That feel when your perception has not changed since childhood ;_;
Mar 26, 2011 1:57 PM

Sep 2010
Pikarita said:
I rate them on how much I enjoyed them back then.

Same here.
Mar 26, 2011 4:52 PM
Nov 2010
Confucius said:
Captain-Z said:

It took you time, I stopped when they banned BLS like 5 years ago lol
Mar 26, 2011 5:13 PM
Feb 2008
Any "children shows" that I have watched in the past I haven't bothered adding to my list, mostly because my memory of them is far too vague for me to have an overall opinion on them. For example, I loved the Pokemon anime as a child, but if I watched it now my opinion of the show would most likely be drastically different. Pretty much all of the shows currently on my list are shows that I have watched within the last three or so years.
BoonioMar 26, 2011 5:16 PM
Mar 26, 2011 7:56 PM

Sep 2009
I rate it on how much I liked it back then. I don't think it's fair to rate it low because I don't appreciate it now when it would like brighten my day in the past.

I try to look at it objectively. :U It's a kid's show, so as such it does a good job with what it is. I dunno. xD
Mar 26, 2011 10:01 PM

Oct 2008
I rate most of them as how I felt then and now, since it really hasn't changed much. I still enjoy them. I <3 digimon, pokemon, yugioh, beyblade, etc.
Mar 27, 2011 6:51 AM
Mar 2011
I don't know why but I kinda like alll the kiddie shows still.... So they are still good according to me!
I am Awesome.
Mar 27, 2011 6:52 AM

May 2008
back then (:
Mar 27, 2011 7:34 AM

Aug 2010
I rate it on how much I like it now.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Mar 27, 2011 12:10 PM

Aug 2008
I rate children's shows the same way I rate any other anime. The only exception is that if I haven't seen the series in so many years, and I don't remember it well, I won't add it until I rewatch it (if I ever do).
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Mar 27, 2011 1:12 PM

Dec 2010
I rate them to how I enjoyed them back when I was younger most times. I still enjoy Anime that's aimed at children too (Especially Cardcaptor Sakura).
Apr 1, 2011 8:30 AM

Feb 2010
I rate them based on how I would like them now.
Tastes and expectations do change and it is not a shame to change a score if your opinion has changed.
Besides, if I rated them according to how I felt back then, I'd be using 2 different rating systems
Apr 2, 2011 2:07 AM

Jan 2008
I will often rate something that I remember seeing when I was younger as I like it now. It doesn't change how I felt about it when I was younger. I just think it does not make sense to give something a higher rating if say you liked a show a lot more when you were younger but do not like it any more. You shouldn't arbitrarily rate it higher for that fact. Ratings can be changed and will naturally evolve over time as people's likes and dislikes change.

More topics from this board

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

43 by Absurdo_N »»
6 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

44 by TheSunLife »»
13 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 8 hours ago

36 by Longnines »»
19 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Yesterday

19 by mizukasa »»
56 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - Today

17 by RaymondAnime »»
57 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.