Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 23, 2011 12:12 AM
Sep 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This show is really brilliant. At first, I gave it 7/10. At about a half of the series it raised to 8/10. Closer to end it become 9/10. And now I think it's 10/10. Maybe even 11 :)
Goh'Dan
Nov 3, 2011 5:56 AM

Aug 2009
=( I thought there might be some more people discussing the ending here. What a shame. This series was amazing!

I nearly lost it when I saw Angels name on the Metropolis book in the TV control room..

Beats the shit outta the Truman Show any day.
Dec 30, 2011 7:45 AM

Jun 2009
Ok...so I finished it. Good ending but. What was the city and Angel what was she?
Was it all part of some virtual reality show that Angle created?
Jul 24, 2012 1:39 PM
Sep 2009
With the way things had been progressing, I pretty much expected an ending that left a lot unexplained.

I found this series's meandering pace to be equal parts refreshing and irritating depending on the episode. My mind tended to wander during most of the robot battles as I'm not a huge mecha fan, but all the main characters were quite engaging. Loved the score too. A 6/10 from me as it just wasn't quite what I was hoping for.
Jul 29, 2012 11:11 AM

Nov 2008
I didn't understand the ending? The same scene from the beginning of the first episode means it loops? Need explanation badly.
AnimeThemes.moe <- the largest collection of anime Openings & Endings on the Web
AnimeMusicQuiz.com <- guess an anime from your list by it's Opening/Ending music browser game
Sep 29, 2012 2:49 PM

Sep 2012
I don't know if you've found an explanation that answers your question but:
It seems that the negotiation of Roger is successful and The Director (aka Big-Venus aka Angel) hasn't rebooted their world from the beginning and takes up the story at a certain point (the scene suggests that it's episode 1 but as Dorothy and Angel are already there, it must be a new version of their adventures).
Roger, when he drowned, saw three flashbacks which shows three distinct pasts - we don't know if they are potential scenarios or stories that The Director has directed in the "past".
What appears is that at the end begins the fifth known version of the story and we can hope that this time he will not fall into a stalemate (which probably depends on the satisfaction of Angel).
Nov 25, 2012 2:10 PM

Mar 2008
O que caralhos aconteceu aqui afinal?

Ok, o mundo está em loop, fica reiniciando, há continuidade, isso é claríssima, mas e daí? Pra quê tudo isso afinal? Qual é a dessa choradeira sobre memórias? Não pode ser "mamãe, mamãe" da Angel, não pode ser!
Dec 12, 2012 3:53 PM
Mar 2012
ange_bleu said:
It seems that the negotiation of Roger is successful and The Director (aka Big-Venus aka Angel) hasn't rebooted their world from the beginning and takes up the story at a certain point (the scene suggests that it's episode 1 but as Dorothy and Angel are already there, it must be a new version of their adventures).
Roger, when he drowned, saw three flashbacks which shows three distinct pasts - we don't know if they are potential scenarios or stories that The Director has directed in the "past".
What appears is that at the end begins the fifth known version of the story and we can hope that this time he will not fall into a stalemate (which probably depends on the satisfaction of Angel).

This is great. Put all the thoughts I was having into a more solid form thanks.
Jan 14, 2013 4:14 PM
Jan 2013
I liked the show a lot but it has to be said that it is not for the typical mecha fan. "The Big O" has its influences in film noir of the 40's and 50's with some Batman flavor thrown in (the DC comic, not the movies)... it is really more of a mystery plot with some extra setting of the TOHO Godzilla movies added every time there is a fight scene. The ending is definitely open to interpretation - first the awakening of the other "Big" megadeus and then the revelation that the universe seems to be a simulated reality, created by advanced virtual reality technology of unknown origin. A climactic battle follows after which the universe is deleted system wide and reset.
Feb 2, 2013 8:13 PM

Nov 2011
For some reason, this show reminds me of an American version of Batman. There's a lot of resemblance between Bruce Wayne and Roger Smith..

Anyways, the ending is meh...imo given the outcomes. Also, I felt like Angel needed more a development. Anyways, a nice series with that old school outlook and backgrounds. I might consider re-watching the finale again. 8/10.
Mar 30, 2013 5:46 AM

Jan 2012
Maybe downing the last 3 episodes in a row was a bad idea, but I'll get to that in a little bit.

Finished this a little while ago and I believe now is the time for me to write down some thoughts. As usual, I'll start off with a quick summary to help myself gather my thoughts.

I enjoyed this series for the most part. The characters are likable and the Megadeus fights are great. The music really makes these fights epic and the visuals and sound effects give you a feel of how big and heavy they are. The setting of Paradigm City, initially, was very interesting. Heck, even the prospect of everyone losing their memories was interesting, but this is where I believe the series falls short. Let me try to explain my opinion of this.

The series starts off with Roger interacting with the different people of Paradigm City. The early episodes, basically season 1, consist of Roger helping out his friends or taking down the evil designs of certain characters all the while leading up to a megadeus fight. Though these early episodes are simple to follow and a little cheesy, they were quite enjoyable. It isn't until near the end of season 2 when things start to get weird and I mean really weird!

Season 2 started to dive a little more into what happened 40 years ago. They give us bits and pieces of what happened, but don't reveal enough to come to a conclusion. I should point out that most of season 2 was quite good. The problem basically lies with the last two episodes. Too much was happening at once and not much is explained. I'll start off with episode 25, this is gonna get messy.

It is revealed that Angel's past was a fabrication. Her memories of being a child were recorded in a studio and Vera of the foreign union was in on the whole thing. I'll just mention it now, the foreign union doesn't even exist(lol). She explains how Gordon Rosewater made an attempt to revive the memories of the past through genetics. That was all the talk about cultivating tomatoes throughout the whole series. Gordon then reveals that Angel is not a person but a memory(wtf). Also, I should mention that Big Duo crashes into the ceiling that has a bunch of stage lights built into it revealing that the whole world is a stage(wtf).

While that is happening, Alex Rosewater just decides to recreate Paradigm city by destroying it, but the non-existent foreign union is blowing everything up already. Vera decides to just off herself with a hidden bomb(lol), and the studio starts to fall apart. For some reason, Alex realizes he is one of those bad tomatoes. Then Big O breaks through the wreckage holding a giant robot that came out of no where. Vera, who is now dead, curses Roger and in response, the Big O destroys the robot. Either Big O did or that section from the ceiling that fell down and destroyed her. Either way, it doesn't explain the lack of left over rubble that giant robot should have left behind. Big O is shown to just be holding two small pieces of it's previous form. Then the episode ends with the set up for the final showdown.

Episode 26 starts off with Big O trying to punch Big Fau who suddenly has an AT-Field. Then, Big Fau gives Big O a hair cut. On the side, some badass from the military comes out of no where and kicks Dastun from the military and starts spouting something about a new world order. Big Fau knocks out Big O and drags him through the city like some drunken prom date. Big Fau decides to consume Alex which I'm still confused as to what that even means. They both fall into the sea while Alex, with Big Fau jetting underwater, pretends he broke that chain on purpose; thus leading to Big O falling to the bottom of the sea.

Angel and Gordon leave the studio and travel down an unmarked elevator. They felt it important to show floor B666 during their decent. Does that mean they are in hell? Suddenly, it is revealed that Angel becomes the decision maker for recovering the lost memories. She grows some wings and heads towards some white building in the distance. Gordon lifts up the book and calls for the memories to be regained even though it was Angel's decision in the first place. At least that was the impression I was given on their trip down.

Roger Smith hits the bottom of the sea and sees some pretty disturbing things that I will list here: memories of his past self, himself being mass-produced, some kid watching the Big O anime, Dorothy concept art with bonus figurine, Angel holding a book while wearing glasses, and a scary ass Dorothy screaming "Roger" underwater. After Dorothy saves Roger and Big O hits the ocean surface like a whale, Alex goes all out and launches his rocket punch arms. This leads to him losing his main weapon and his ability fly out of the way of Big O's final stage(lol), but in the end it doesn't matter because he misses with it anyway. A huge shadow appears and Big Venus just starts making everything disappear by showing the bling in his teeth and touching it. Roger enters a monologue about his memories and he reveals that Big Venus is actually Angel. Roger then appears on a monitor and Angel cries while watching Roger's monologue from a recording studio. Roger appears behind her along with Dorothy announcing Roger's name and title. All the sudden, a familiar scene is shown only this time we see Dorothy along with Angel standing on some road while Roger drives by. While Roger drives into the horizon, we see a building that was destroyed during their fight. Credits roll.

As I have said before, these last two episodes just had too much stuff going on at once. You have to re-watch it all just to get what was even happening. It isn't that the craziness is bad, it just happened way too fast to the point to where it became comical. When I first watched it, I was completely lost, but after dissecting the episodes with a second viewing, I about laughed a lung out. What happened to the pacing of this show? These crazy twists should have been revealed throughout the whole series instead of just dropping it on your lap in the last two episodes. There was no way for us to have come to these conclusions ourselves. I have to admit it was a unique ending, but it was just a total mess that made little sense upon my initial viewing.

This is what I got out of the end. The world they live in was created by Angel and everyone who lives in this world isn't even real. I get that, problem is that scene when Roger and Dorothy show up in the room with Angel crying. I thought they were made up characters in Angel's world, but apparently they are not. Then, the show starts over with a few twists that I already mentioned earlier.

The episode is called "The show must go on," but I just don't get it and they don't even bother to explain it. Sure, it is left up to our interpretation, but there is so much unknown that an interpretation is hard to come up with. The series was very enjoyable up to those last episodes. Wait, who am I kidding? Those last episodes were a riot too!

I'll give this show a 7/10. Great characters, good music/visuals, interesting story, good pacing(except for the end), and crazy ass ending.
BaldarkApr 2, 2013 4:07 PM
Jul 30, 2013 1:26 AM

Apr 2013
Mind-Blowing. :0 And since when do they have AT fields?haha
Aug 30, 2013 8:57 AM

Sep 2012
MAAAN great episode. GREAT SERIES,
immediately downloading the OST,

but i dont care what no one says, this episode was for Dawston,

*tears*
when is squad turned to be on his side, i couldnt help but to clap
(*≧m≦*)
Aug 30, 2013 11:53 PM
Jun 2013
I saw this show ages ago. I was confused by the ending and stil dontl get it till this day. However I enjoyed the show so dam much from beggining to end that while I left going WTF just happend I wasint really mad just confused.
Dec 27, 2013 12:54 PM
Jun 2012
If anyone is interested in a real conclusion to this series (and don't mind reading), look up the "Big O Season 3" fanfiction. Whether you just want to spend more time in Paradigm City, or if you're a diehard Roger x Dorothy shipper (I myself wanted both), you'll get plenty to love. And it's quite well-written, too, for fanfiction. I'd recommend it to any fan of this show.

-Arvis
Jan 28, 2014 12:31 AM
Jul 2018
souledge94 said:
I saw this show ages ago. I was confused by the ending and stil dontl get it till this day. However I enjoyed the show so dam much from beggining to end that while I left going WTF just happend I wasint really mad just confused.
The ending has been debated quite a lot since it aired. From what I've read online, the general opinion is that Roger was able to convince Angel to keep/remake the world to a certain point, which explains the small scenes after. Makes sense to me, since they had a a close connection by the end of the series.
May 5, 2014 12:19 AM
May 2014
I’m a fan of the shows designs and the characters. Although it all seems too much of a homage to other pop culture like Batman etc. I was invested in the show and its mystery. But the ending has now been overplayed and I felt a bit cheated. This whole Akira, Neon Genesis, Matrix, Lost etc. ending where everything sort of gets wiped by some sort of cosmic confusing event is now overdone and very frustrating. To me it’s the writers creating a very cool scenario and really having no way of concluding it.

I know something left of field, how about giving us a logical ending with good triumphing over evil? How does that sound? Not too much to ask?

I enjoyed the whole series up until the final (two) episode(s)really, even though some of it really got lost along the way. Such as the importance of Dorothy, Roger’s Negotiator job wasn’t really used throughout the show. And such things as the army of megadeuses in flash backs and the three that turned up at the end of the first series, where did they come from? What was the whole really cool “not guilty” thing in the end?

So much awesomeness seemingly tossed aside for some easy way out ending.
May 5, 2014 8:26 PM
Jun 2012
AkiraHunterBebop said:
So much awesomeness seemingly tossed aside for some easy way out ending.

I feel your pain. T_T

They wrote that ending hoping there would be another season. There never was. However, there is a (still ongoing) fanfic entitled "The Big O: Season Three." I know fanfiction can usually be pretty bad, but I promise that this is totally worthy of the source material and definitely will satisfy your need for resolution, as well as more awesome adventures with these characters you've come to love.
Start here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4549769/1/ACT-27-Roger-the-Vigilante

And no, I didn't write it. ;)
Let me know what you think.

-Arvis
Jul 30, 2014 5:49 PM

May 2012
What a great ending I must say! Quite impressed over this overall anime while I'm definitely not a mecha fan this sure and pretty much many older mecha anime do tend to impress me a lot more than the newer kind! That said I really liked the overall atmosphere that was created here as it reminded me a bit to Batman operating Giant Robots!

All in all I really liked it and found it really enjoyable to marathon! Overall a great anime 9/10
May 29, 2015 5:48 PM

Jul 2010
The first part was really great and the second part was weaker but overall I quite liked it, 7/10.
Aug 12, 2015 3:03 PM

Mar 2013
Such a let down of a series. Ending was rather crappy as well.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Sep 28, 2015 7:42 AM

Jul 2014
Decent show overall. Episode 18 was my favorite one.

4/5 for the episode, 7/10 for the show.
D-ohnutsSep 28, 2015 8:42 AM
Oct 22, 2016 1:37 AM
Mar 2016
Definitely an ending I would expect from Chiaki J. Konaka.
Dec 9, 2016 6:58 AM

Feb 2012
Thas was very weird, and confusing. I think I get what the story was about, but, it was very confusingly delivered.
Nice series though.
Apr 8, 2020 10:24 AM
Dec 2019
The whole "it's not supposed to be easy. Use your brain and think up an interpretation" thing is irritating to me. Sure, like Eva, you can say it's a fun brain exercise.

But if you were looking to make a point, then this approach of deliberately making your point as confusing and incoherent as possible doesn't do you any favors, Chiaki Konaka. Even if there was a correct interpretation you had in mind that explains everything, the effective impact of your message is weakened too much by having to do mental gymnastics.

However, while I don't buy the excuse that the show is messy because it was 13 episodes instead of 26, I would understand if the reset was written so that the show can be continued for season 3.
Apr 14, 2020 5:17 AM

May 2016
Ok...so I finished it. Good ending but. What was the city and Angel what was she?
Was it all part of some virtual reality show that Angle created?

Apr 14, 2020 5:17 AM

May 2016
In conclusion, the show is solid,despite having problems here and there to be fair.

I might rewatch it after 2 years from now just for more questions.

10/10
Jun 23, 2020 8:55 PM

Jul 2009
What a finale!!

The finally battle reminded me of MGS4 fight between Metal Gear Rex vs Metal Gear Ray!!

Seeing how the series played out. I'm now a huge fan of Big Robots :)

I always prefer agile and fast Mobile Suits, but Big Robots can be pretty badass thanks to Big O!

Lots of revelations! Alex not being Gordon's son. As well as Angel piloting Big Venus!!

So now we have a new alternate reality where everyone resets again? It seems Dorothy and Angel are now partners? Do they keep the same memories as previous!

I like the revelations about the memory wipe, but I still feel they could have done better in explaining and why they keep wiping it everytime.

Other than resetting all of the civilizations mistakes. It just feels pointless to always memory wipe.

Enjoyed the series! Watching it on BD is glorious, but I wish Season 2 kept Season 1's artstyle. It went using 2000 style art instead of the classic 90s cell art.

Great show! Next show I'll probably watch is Godannar!!

Want more Big Robot Action Goodness!!

9/10

The Show Must Go On!
Dec 24, 2021 8:00 PM

Sep 2011
I like the 2nd half alot more just cause it carried alot of momentum and great character moments, that said these last 2 episodes kind of feel like a let down to me. I think all these revelations could work they were just far too tail ended to let any of it breath so its speedrunning through it all. Its ambiguity leaves me far less digging for finding my own interpretations as it does more so feel like the easy way out to avoid explaining some things. I love my artsy fartsy dumb ambiguity stuff, I just dont think was particularly well done largely cause I just dont see how any of this thematically benefited the show, I feel like its end message is exactly the same before the convulsion started to overtake the finale.

The fun entertainment value of the show before it and how good some singular stories worked is what makes the show worthwhile in spite of how ehhh I am on the actual overall plot in the end. I at the very least appreciate how unique a show it was even if I dont think it exactly all worked.
JizzyHitlerDec 24, 2021 8:06 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Aug 27, 2022 5:04 AM

Oct 2010
I didn't understand a thing but the fights were cool and Dorothy was hot
6/10 would not rewatch ever
Sep 23, 2022 3:40 AM
Nov 2018
It seems I'm too much of a plebian to understand high cinema endings as those ones.
At least the robot girl was cute. 6/10 I would rather have a cooler robot showdown in the end
Dec 8, 2022 12:55 PM

Aug 2017
Loved the meta-concept and the whole stage thing, I really felt Konaka's writing here :p Though maybe the plot could've been spread more evenly among the "episodic" parts.

That moment when Roger cautiously suggested Dorothy to do a mouth-to-mouth xD
Dec 11, 2022 6:03 AM
Jul 2018
Love the atmosphere and music. Don't understand the anime at all but it was fun and entertaining.
Jan 18, 2023 8:35 AM

Apr 2019
Generic post-evangelion. Not saying it's bad, but it's not good.
Feb 28, 2023 2:52 PM

Sep 2020
Not the kind of ending I wanted to see but it works, I guess. Still a little jumbled up in my mind but I'm not going to dwell on it.

Overall, great show. I wasn't interested in it back in the Toonami days but I finally took the plunge with the blu-ray. I liked the characters and noir-style presentation, as well as Big O's design and all the mecha action. I appreciate that it did something out of the ordinary, but I didn't find it mind-blowing or anything. Maybe if I had been there back in its prime. 8.5/10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Mar 19, 2023 9:23 AM

Jun 2019
This show really decided to turn into a mix of Evangelion and the Truman Show.
Mar 20, 2023 7:34 PM

Dec 2022
Comical final episode with extremely confusing pacing and a complete lack of context for everything, and the last three episodes before it were mediocre too. Plenty of asspulls as well, of course. This is such a shame, because every episode before 23 was either decent or great. It was relatively grounded and easy to follow until then, but this episode decided to go the abstract cosmic cyber clusterfuck route, despite setting no precedent for it.

The Big O is a great anime if you rationalise that everyone simultaneously got brain damage (blame it on the memories or tomatoes or something lol) after episode 22, and the world actually takes place in a video game. It solves all the issues and you can mindlessly enjoy it.
Archean-ReturnMar 20, 2023 7:39 PM

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Big O Episode 6 Discussion

gohdan - Feb 27, 2011

14 by Phobossus »»
Mar 4, 5:27 AM

» A dissertation and thesis on "The Big O"

LightQuill - Dec 4, 2018

9 by divlyfein »»
Feb 22, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Big O Episode 13 Discussion

gohdan - Mar 10, 2011

10 by divlyfein »»
Feb 17, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Big O Episode 11 Discussion

gohdan - Mar 9, 2011

17 by divlyfein »»
Feb 17, 2:49 PM

» There's a rap song for Dorothy

Recynon - Jan 25

2 by Recynon »»
Feb 6, 8:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.