Forum Settings
Forums

Akira Live Action Movie Update [Update May 29]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 23, 2011 3:41 PM

Apr 2010
Wait, Hollywood remake? New York? How boring. Guess I'll just have to skip out on this and pretend I never knew it existed. If someone wants to make a live-action remake of an infamous animated movie, then leave it to the Japanese. They would have done a better job.

Mar 23, 2011 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
Jure said:
Oh, the negativity...

It's not 100% same as manga... so what? Even anime itself is completely different than original source material. People need to stop being so elitistic and just be happy to see Akira getting some more recognition in a form of a Hollywood movie.

THIS
Mar 23, 2011 3:59 PM

Feb 2010
Robert Pattinson? Justin Timberlake? WTF?

The whole setting americanization sucks enormously too. This is gonna be crap (and I'm not one to hate easily on such projects, for example The Bebop Movie I would giev a chance with Keanu Reaves).

But wasn't like Leonardo Di Caprio supposed to play Kaneda? I would have liked that more than any of the other choices in the starting post...

Steve Kloves doesn't sound too bad though, but the actors...
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 23, 2011 4:23 PM

Jun 2009
They seem dead set on ruining a classic piece of anime as well as a great manga. Hollywood, you don't have to call this movie Akira. You don't have to chuck out a well known anime icon to get people into the cinemas. Just say it was "inspired" by Akira. Then you can do whatever the hell you want with the story and we won't flame you for it.
This movie is doomed to fail from the beginning. Therefore I refuse to acknowledge it's existence.

"I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila."

Mar 23, 2011 4:49 PM

Jul 2009
yay thanks hollywood =_=
Mar 23, 2011 5:21 PM
Oct 2009
LightningRamiel said:
Would a faithful adaptation with the Neo-Tokyo setting and young Asian actors be that unpalatable to Western audiences?

Yes...is either the correct answer to this or what Hollywood really believes.

Smile, Sweet, Sister, Sadistic, Surprise, Service, Slider
Mar 23, 2011 5:41 PM

Jun 2008
Naruleach said:

For the role of Tetsuo, prospective actors include: Robert Pattinson, Andrew Garfield, and James McAvoy.
For the role of Kaneda, actors include: Garrett Hedlund, Michael Fassbender, Chris Pine, Justin Timberlake, and Joaquin Phoenix.

ahahahahahaha.

To be fair, and I know I'm going to get totally hated for this, but Robert Pattinson is a fairly good actor. Not a Twilight fan, I just like him.

Also for the people complaining about Justin Timberlake's name being attatched to it-do teh words "The Social network" mean nothing to you? Granted I haven't seen it and have no idea what he was like in it but I haven't heard anything bad about his performance, haha.

Not that I'm saying this is going to be good, it's obviously going to be terrible. :')
Mar 23, 2011 8:32 PM

Dec 2009
Hah, sucks that they're doing this remake. I don't think it'll be good at all lol but ah well
Mar 24, 2011 4:20 AM

Apr 2010
It's Akira now... eventually it'll be Evangelion :S

Fortunately we still have the original Animes to remember them with.

Avatar film was just..... Anime was at LEAST over 9000 times better.
Mar 24, 2011 5:53 AM

Oct 2009
OK i can tell now for sure this is gonna FUCKING SUCK!

Steve Kloves, Robert Pattinson, Justin Timberlake?????? REALLY? WTF???
FUCKING worse staff ever omfg...

And if Robert gets chosen i am hell not watching this AT ALL!
Mar 24, 2011 7:36 AM

Sep 2007
I just...died a little on the inside.

I mean Robert Pattinson? Really? Why is he even being considered for this? Can the man show emotions? I don't think he can. I mean Tetsuo is basically a raging, screaming ball of angst, rage and drugs.

...oh wait. From the sounds of that he's probably going to be a super cool rock star rebelling against the world or something. Never mind that. Rob is perfect for that.

I understand adapting the movie for American audiences, and I understand needing to make certain changes. But for the love of god, if you're just going to change the underlying theme and message of the story what's the point? Besides the name, it won't even be truly related to the source material if they make the type of changes I'm picturing here. Way to sink even lower than usual Hollywood. Good job. Keep up the good work you jerks.

(I do hope my negativity will be wasted and this will turn out to be an epic movie of epic proportions) (not going to happen).
Mar 24, 2011 7:47 AM

May 2009
They're not adapting the movie they're adapting the manga.Btw movie will be shot in two parts like Kill Bill so they're not trying to squeeze everything in two or three hours.
Mar 24, 2011 1:43 PM

Sep 2009
Winter said:
I just...died a little on the inside.

I mean Robert Pattinson? Really? Why is he even being considered for this? Can the man show emotions? I don't think he can. I mean Tetsuo is basically a raging, screaming ball of angst, rage and drugs.

...oh wait. From the sounds of that he's probably going to be a super cool rock star rebelling against the world or something. Never mind that. Rob is perfect for that.

I understand adapting the movie for American audiences, and I understand needing to make certain changes. But for the love of god, if you're just going to change the underlying theme and message of the story what's the point? Besides the name, it won't even be truly related to the source material if they make the type of changes I'm picturing here. Way to sink even lower than usual Hollywood. Good job. Keep up the good work you jerks.

(I do hope my negativity will be wasted and this will turn out to be an epic movie of epic proportions) (not going to happen).

Watch something of Pattinsons that isn't Twilight.

It's a shame his most known work is his worst work.
Mar 24, 2011 5:14 PM

Dec 2008
another Dragonball Evolution movie? no, thanks!
Mar 25, 2011 12:30 AM
Feb 2011
OK! This cannot happen. Robert Pattinson and Justin Timberlake. Really?!? Why not just take the money they are going to spend on this abomination and flush it down the toilet. Or better yet use the money to hire a hitman to kill every person who has seen the anime see they won't wish they were dead. Remeber what they did to Dragonball and Blood: The last vampire?
Mar 25, 2011 8:45 AM

May 2008
/facepalm

please dont ruin an amazing classic...already enough people that think animes are shitty based from American live action garbage
Mar 25, 2011 11:48 AM

Nov 2010
I think this is what happens you have passionate fans who end up wanting to make a movie about one of their favorite properties and then studios come and want to mess it up because they're afraid of the market.
Manga Therapy - Where Psychology & Manga Meet
http://www.mangatherapy.com
Mar 25, 2011 11:51 AM
Nov 2010
I hope it'll be better than the anime movie.
Mar 25, 2011 2:23 PM
May 2007
lostpuma said:
Remeber what they did to Dragonball and Blood: The last vampire?

I agree that dragonball was bad, but the live action for blood was actually decent.. though things were changed.. I actually enjoyed it.. and I thought this movie was going to be true to the animated movie.. Im sad to find out Hollywood is pulling another dick move.. not surprised though..
May 15, 2011 5:13 AM

Feb 2011
This movie is going to be dumbed-down for American audiences. They'll re-write everything to appeal to the broadest market, and take out anything that average Americans are too dense to understand. So, heavy on explosions and American cultural references, skip over stuff like symbolism and teenagers struggling to find their place in society. And of course they'll have to change it to a happy ending somehow. Enough people will probably go see this cinematic turd to justify the producers' decisions.

And btw nothing in the movie will be "over the heads" of non-anime fans, because they won't put that in the movie.

And the Blood+ movie was "chew-your-arm-off-to-escape" stupid and bad.
BurayanMay 15, 2011 5:18 AM

There are two types of anime - almost as good as Elfen Lied, and not as good as Elfen Lied.
May 15, 2011 3:15 PM

Sep 2008
Naruleach said:
The script, which had been successfully rewritten by Steve Kloves (Harry Potter films),

THANK GOD! the project is in safe hands now [/sarcasm]
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 29, 2011 1:27 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
Update on May 29th
According to Deadline, director Albert Hughes has left the Hollywood movie adaptation of Akira. Their report states that the departure is due to "amicable creative differences" and that Warners Bros intends to find a new director quickly since they want to "keep the picture on a fast track".

Source: Deadline
p r o f i l e 👀
Oct 20, 2011 12:34 AM

Jan 2008
Update on Oct 20th:
Warner Bros. Greenlights ‘Akira’ Remake; Shooting Starts Early 2012, a plank of wood aka Garrett Hedlund is frontrunner for Kaneda

Linky

:(
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Apr 8, 2013 6:02 PM

Feb 2011
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/akira-production-shut-down-budget-warner-bros-278729

It's been over a year, so maybe we're safe now. But I still feel like we're only on Terminator 2, and the evil will rise again. We must hunt down those responsible for all the misery and angst and make sure they never go near Anime again.

There are two types of anime - almost as good as Elfen Lied, and not as good as Elfen Lied.
Aug 17, 2013 9:09 PM

Feb 2011
Spoke too soon... : http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/08/04/stalled-akira-live-action-movie-comes-back-to-life/

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

96 by rikazkhan »»
28 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

21 by VanishingKira »»
12 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Apr 22, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Apr 22, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.