Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 22, 2011 12:58 PM
Dec 2010
I have watched more than i can remember of this genre, and have tried and dropped a number more. i am not really looking for recommendations specifically relating to another series, though if possible that would also be helpful (i will provide a list of ones ive loved, like, disliked, hated, and so on at the end of this post for those willing). i am more asking for recommendations because i am tired of looking and watching and being dissapointed. this is what im looking for, and have been for the past 3 years, only to find a select few that fit the bill:

-an anime chock-full of romance
-an anime that is made up of and is grounded by romance
-no sad endings :(
-not even just a happy ending, but, of course, a romantic one :o
-not sprinkled with, doused with romance
-a serious story
-powerful, moving, life changing, or anything like that
-something that can take my mind out of my own life
-its nice if it can make me laugh and cry
-lastly, i like it to be certain that the couple is together by the end, hence the romantic ending
-not very childish (like tsubasa)

i know that this is a hard list to totally satisfy, and im sorry if its a hassle, but any effort would be greatly appreciated, but if thats not possible, i would at least like for everyone with enough time to just post what is, in their opinion, the most romantic and/or substantial romance anime they've seen. and now onto my list which you can also find the majority or more, depending on how much i can recall off the top of my head, of on any or all of these sites: myanimelist.net | anime-planet.com | anidb.net. i have the same username on all of these sites (and here), which is "sadstones", so it should be relatively easy to find my profile and anime lists.

-loved these anime which i thought were great in terms of romance and such: clannad, clannad after story, kanon (first one/original), ef~a tale of memories, ef~a tale of melodies, ef~a tale of memories, koi kaze, toradora (wish there were an epilogue [at least] after the part a year later), tokyo marble chocolate (a very short OVA series), hanbun no stuki ga noboru sora, true tears (there was something, im not sure what, that i didnt like so much about this one along with the next one i think), myself yourself, and probably some more i cant think of.

-loved these ones too, but they made me too sad and/or were missing something (namely romance)/didnt complete the story enough, etc.: elfen lied, saikano, fruits basket (i kind of cheated and looked up the ending of the manga and if it had gone that far it'd have been my favorite anime to have ever existed), kannagi, spice and wolf, spice and wolf 2, eden of the east, air tv, bakemonogatari, and definitely many, many more that i cant think of right now.

-many were okay in my opinion, so i will probably not list them bc of time restraints at the moment

-i disliked all of these and A LOT more: tona-gura, kimi ni todoke, kimi ga nozomu eien, 5 centimeters per second, kashimashi (manga was great though, just hated the ending so much that it ruined the show for me), lovely complex, love hina, chocotto sister, kissXsis, ore no imouto..., tsubasa chronicles, etc., etc., etc.

any help will be greatly appreciated as romance anime is like the highlight of my life. if any more details are required, please request them (and i will post them) or email me directly at rabidblackcat@gmail.com (and i will respond). thank you!!!
Mar 22, 2011 1:19 PM

Mar 2011
Hahaha, that's quite something you'e looking for! To be honest, it's exactely what I want too, so I'll keep checking this thread to see if anyone replies with anything usefull.

Love/romance anime that I love:

- Itazura na kiss
- Kaichou wa maid-sama
- Vampire knight & Vampire knight guilty (though it isn't only about love, it's great)
- Gakuen heaven (you'll probably NOT like this, because it's a love story between boys. However, it's sweet, and touching, and it isn't anything yaoi-ish (you won't see sex)
- Strawberry panic (you'll probably NOT like this too, because it's a love story between girls. However, it's also really sweet, and cute, and touching, and it isn't anything yuri-ish (you won't see sex)

These are the only love story's that I really loved. I've seen pretty much anime which contains love, ecchi or harem, but none of them are THAT great. You'll probably understand, for you seem to share the same view as me.

Hope this helps! ^^
Mar 22, 2011 1:37 PM

Apr 2009
NANA
Millenium Actres
Kanon 2006
Princess Tutu
Victorian Romance Emma
Only Yesterday

are all ones that completely fit the bill. They're more mature stories that are full of romance, are pretty serious, but not all have happy endings. I think you've seen all of those already.
Mar 22, 2011 3:14 PM

Mar 2011
Bokura ga ita
Kimi ni todoke + 2nd season
Clannad + 2nd season
Honey and Clover + 2nd season
Kaichou wa maid-sama
The world only god knows
Bakuman

Those are my favs.
Mar 22, 2011 3:22 PM
Dec 2010
first, i would like to thank you two for replying so quickly (and in a way that is actually answering my questions), as besides this site, i posted the same exact thread on 3 other sites, 1 of which closed the thread down until i have more posts, one which only got replies about anime that seemed to be recommended in adverse to my requests (such as school days,which ive already seen partly and know the ending of), and the last i just had people posting links to other threads. so, anyway, thank you for that.

MissYuuki said:
- Gakuen heaven (you'll probably NOT like this, because it's a love story between boys. However, it's sweet, and touching, and it isn't anything yaoi-ish (you won't see sex)
- Strawberry panic (you'll probably NOT like this too, because it's a love story between girls. However, it's also really sweet, and cute, and touching, and it isn't anything yuri-ish (you won't see sex)

i actually dont at all mind either yaoi or yuri (pro lgbt [rights/movement]), though i do kind of, if i had to pick between the two, prefer yuri for some reason (maybe it has something to do with me being a boy?). well, whatever...i just wanted to say that and that ill check them out.

@Sweetpea, ive actually only every seen kanon 2006 out of those, but i have been recommended a few of the other ones and, to be honest, i didnt think i would like them. although, the same thing happened with fruits basket and i ended up absolutely adoring that show, so i will try them this time around.

once again, thank you for responding.
Mar 22, 2011 3:24 PM
Dec 2010
oh, btw, huMAC, since you recommended honey and clover, i was wondering, since id wanted to watch that, but had heard it didnt end romantically and i really hate when it turns out like that in anime, does either series have a romantic ending?

(and thank you for responding as well and sorry i didnt thank you in my earlier post [i started writing that post before i got your message/post].)
Mar 22, 2011 4:11 PM

Mar 2011
sadstones said:
oh, btw, huMAC, since you recommended honey and clover, i was wondering, since id wanted to watch that, but had heard it didnt end romantically and i really hate when it turns out like that in anime, does either series have a romantic ending?

(and thank you for responding as well and sorry i didnt thank you in my earlier post [i started writing that post before i got your message/post].)

Oh no problem at all btw :D

As for H&C - I wont spoil anything but i wont say it isnt romantic, but the ending might be abit.. i dont know really -it does not really sound happy but kinda is :D
You have to watch it before you know what i mean :P

Bokura ga ita - Sad Ending
Kimi ni todoke + 2nd season - Still airing, but really cute romance
Clannad + 2nd season - Sad / Happy Ending
Honey and Clover + 2nd season - As i stated above
Kaichou wa maid-sama - 2nd season might come
The world only god knows - 2nd Season still awaiting
Bakuman - Still airing

Btw, i recommend Lovely Complex then for a happy ending.
Mar 23, 2011 3:35 AM

Mar 2011
sadstones said:
i actually dont at all mind either yaoi or yuri (pro lgbt [rights/movement]), though i do kind of, if i had to pick between the two, prefer yuri for some reason (maybe it has something to do with me being a boy?). well, whatever...i just wanted to say that and that ill check them out.

If you don't mind, then please check them out! :) For they're both very sweet^^
And if you happen to like yaoi or shounen ai after watching gakuen heaven(if you're going to watch it), then there's a lot more of that genre waiting for you :)
You can ask me anytime for yaoi/shounen-ai - recommendations ;)

I still recommend both Kaichou wa maid-sama, itazura na kiss and vampire knight highly too. Please check them out too :)

Btw, in replie to humac, I'm not sure if you would like lovely complex. It's a bit too childish, I guess. It's a lot like and kimi ni todoke, which you didn't enjoy. (oh wait, I see now that lovely complex is also in your 'dislike' list, so this was unneeded, haha)

I woulden't watch bokura ga ita too if I were you, it's a lot like kimi ni todoke, and it has a sad ending.
Mar 23, 2011 4:27 AM

Dec 2010
Otome Youkai Zakuro might be to your liking.
Mar 23, 2011 11:09 AM

Jun 2009
sadstones said:

I'm not saying anything about the ending, but you would be wise to watch it. Honey and Clover is easily one of the best romance/drama/slice of life series around, it is a must watch.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 23, 2011 12:57 PM

Aug 2010
Hanasakeru Seishounen (it revolves around romance and it's romantic but not so Sooo romantic)
Ayashi no Ceres (about the ending not so sure I may be confusing it with the manga but I think it was romantic)
you may like them but you won't know until you try them ;)
Mar 23, 2011 1:44 PM
Feb 2011
I would suggest trying to give Eureka 7 a shot, although it is a whopping 50 episodes long, it develops quick and fast and I can guarantee it has one hell of a happy ending. Some episodes are just really filler so yes you can skip them, but I found it to be really easy to get into.

Bokura Ga Ita is still continuing in the manga and it looks like it's heading toward a happy ending.
Mar 23, 2011 1:54 PM

Mar 2011
Virin said:
Bokura Ga Ita is still continuing in the manga and it looks like it's heading toward a happy ending.

However, the recent anime-ending of Bokura ga ita is kind of sad...
Mar 24, 2011 9:35 AM

Nov 2010
MissYuuki said:
Virin said:

exactly why i hated the serie's haha (that and i got borred half way through) i don't like open endings (and manga went on + i don't like reading manga haha) or maybe it's because it's aimed more at a feminine audience ;-)
Mar 24, 2011 9:51 AM

Mar 2011
kickthebucket said:
MissYuuki said:
Virin said:

exactly why i hated the serie's haha (that and i got borred half way through) i don't like open endings (and manga went on + i don't like reading manga haha) or maybe it's because it's aimed more at a feminine audience ;-)

Haha I completely agree with you.. It's kind of boring and I don't like open endings too... (with open endings I feel like I watched the whole serie for nothing) :P Plus I don't read manga! haha ^^
Mar 24, 2011 3:37 PM

Mar 2011
Since they already said: Clannad ,Itazura Na kiss,ect.

I would say you should whatch these two:

True Tears
Myself Yourslef

I realy dont get why they arent so famous yet...but they (in my opinion) are almost as good as Clannad, i really mean it :D
Nikxx1Mar 24, 2011 3:46 PM
Nikolas Erdmann
Mar 24, 2011 7:50 PM

Aug 2009
Virin said:
I would suggest trying to give Eureka 7 a shot, although it is a whopping 50 episodes long, it develops quick and fast and I can guarantee it has one hell of a happy ending. Some episodes are just really filler so yes you can skip them, but I found it to be really easy to get into.

Clicked this thread to say this. I disagree about filler (one certain self-aware episode notwithstanding), though. Eureka 7 is a very good romance.
Mar 24, 2011 8:42 PM

Mar 2009
I agree with nicepants. Eureka 7 is a very good romance.

You may also want to consider these:

Ayashi no Ceres
Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma
Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma: Molders Hen
Elemental Gelade
Escaflowne
Fushigi Yuugi
Genji Monogatari Sennenki
Hakushaku to Yousei
Hanasakeru Seishounen
Hatenkou Yuugi
Nana
Ristorante Paradiso
Romeo x Juliet
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
Saikano
Seikai no Monshou
Seikai no Senki
Seikai no Senki III
Tsubasa Chronicle I loved it. Apparently you didn't.
White Album
Winter Sonata
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Mar 25, 2011 3:57 AM

Jun 2010
Itazura Na kiss- yes and no.. yes cause it has some romance but no cause its kinda a lil slow on romance also the guy is such a ...... anyways i loved it either way so u might

kimi ni todoke season 2 i wouldnt of recommended if season 1 was listed as disliked but its kinda worth another try for both seasons imo once again i love it..

nana- its romance but more of a sad romance i say since i felt like 1 main girl char. was forcing herself to fall in love with a guy...

marmalade boy- romantic funny and triangle in the middle of it and kinda wtf watched it about 4 times <3 it each time

maybe just nit pick from my list lol who knows wat u might find lol i am a drama/romance/comedy/shoujo type of watcher when it comes to anime also i have a few execptions to that lol.. also i think any anime u pick will let u escape from ur own u just gotta allow it :P (cause that didnt sound a lil otaku right there...) o i also read manga if ur in to that and looking for some nice romantic storys
Mar 25, 2011 4:19 AM

Nov 2010
spice & wolf? :D
Mar 25, 2011 4:41 AM

Sep 2010
Kimi ni Todoke. This just make my heart thump all the time.
I didn't know romance is THIS ROMANTIC (this may sound dumb but shounen-sided people probably understand this.)

Toradora is an awesome example too.

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Today

5 by 8oomer »»
35 minutes ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - 4 hours ago

2 by Snailsoup »»
3 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

8 by Wakarimas-en »»
6 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - 6 hours ago

0 by MeZaDefined »»
6 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

70 by Meline0102 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.