Forum Settings
Forums

Do Weaboos make you feel embarrassed about liking anime?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2011 1:36 PM

Aug 2010
Thankfully I don't thing I ever met an actual weaboo. Just the people who go to school wearing those damn Naruto headbands and fingerless gloves, but I don't think they can be classified as weaboos. Though if I ever met a someone screaming japanese nonsense in public I'd probably hit them.
Jul 11, 2011 2:04 PM

Jun 2007
Is it not more embarrassing to highlight the flaws of others so as to not seem abnormal yourself?

There are winners and losers in every walk of life. Losers typically gather together in safe locations, where their pride cannot be dented... such as internet forums dedicated to nerdy hobbies.
Jul 11, 2011 3:27 PM

Aug 2009
hell yea
Jul 11, 2011 3:32 PM
Jul 2011
i don't have this experience~
but i do have some about liking my fav. singer:)
that maked me felt weird.
Jul 11, 2011 3:35 PM

Feb 2010
yah those dudes that cosplay as touhou characters, like wtf
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2011 4:54 PM
May 2011
There a guy at my school, who screams random Japanese into the air. Normally, me and my friends would ignore it, but eventually, when it was the second-to-last day of school and he (with a slow voice) taught us how to use chopsticks, we had to say something.

He would also blast the library computer's volume to the point where everyone could hear it with whatever anime he was watching. Tori-something, I really don't care, but he forced everyone who passed by to watch it, even when we said no. I hardly like anime, only those select few (most are yuri, but whatever) and my friends and I would try to work and he actually yelled at us that day to watch the anime and like it since it was "soo cool guys!"

God...and he even cosplayed...every day for one month, and made us take pictures of him pointing his fake sword in our faces..

But I'm not embarrassed of liking anime because of one person. He may be annoying, but I do admit he was one of our friends and we was fun to hang out with when he wasn't in his "anime-rage mode". My friends know I like anime but I don't force it down their throats or try to make them like it.

Jul 11, 2011 5:15 PM

Sep 2009
I don't feel embarrassed since I make sure that everyone knows the difference between me and them.
Jul 15, 2011 7:52 PM

Jan 2009
Seiveil said:
There a guy at my school, who screams random Japanese into the air. Normally, me and my friends would ignore it, but eventually, when it was the second-to-last day of school and he (with a slow voice) taught us how to use chopsticks, we had to say something.

He would also blast the library computer's volume to the point where everyone could hear it with whatever anime he was watching. Tori-something, I really don't care, but he forced everyone who passed by to watch it, even when we said no. I hardly like anime, only those select few (most are yuri, but whatever) and my friends and I would try to work and he actually yelled at us that day to watch the anime and like it since it was "soo cool guys!"

God...and he even cosplayed...every day for one month, and made us take pictures of him pointing his fake sword in our faces..

But I'm not embarrassed of liking anime because of one person. He may be annoying, but I do admit he was one of our friends and we was fun to hang out with when he wasn't in his "anime-rage mode". My friends know I like anime but I don't force it down their throats or try to make them like it.

that sucks. If he asked me to take a picture or force me to do anything I would tell him, "seriously, go away, I don't want to do ____" or just completely ignore him and keep walking. Honestly, it's people like this that make me a private anime fan.
Jul 17, 2011 12:14 PM

Jan 2010
Well..... in the end, we all are liking anime, so I don't really see how they embarrass you.. Of course, being obsessed with Japan to the point of changing your watch is kind of creepy. Are you ashamed of liking anime to the point where you can't show others about it?
Jul 17, 2011 12:40 PM
Mar 2008
No, most of the people that I know who like anime are just normal people. You can't even tell they're into that stuff unless you somehow accidentally brought it up. I mean, I know drug dealers and rappers and musicians who are just like....obsessed with Naruto and Bleach....but you won't ever know unless they tell you.

Go to any Hip-Hop forum....there's usually a thread dedicated to anime or Naruto.

Don't know why, but Naruto/Dragonball Z seems to be huge in the Black community.
Jul 17, 2011 12:40 PM
Jun 2011
Kind of, there are some people that do make me feel embarrassed. Such as this girl in my class who wanted to see my iPod, had some Japanese music on it, like only 1%. She went off and started asking me a whole bunch of questions on the anime I like and crap. Then she started trying to defend her clear obsession by making invalid points. I'm totally fine talking anime with friends if they are into it but I know when it is appropriate.

It's hard to define the term weeabo because every little thing could make you labeled as such. For me, I initially wanted to learn Japanese because of people like Miyamoto and video games. I do enjoy japanese music but mainly prefer orchestrated music, mainly from video games. But I will listen to anything except for some of the mainstream stuff, country, and most rap.

But hey you shouldn't feel bad for liking something. It's retarded and makes no sense to pester others on their hobbies or interests when people have different tastes.

I don't know what I'm saying anymore, haven't eaten anything today. God now I'm hungry.
Jul 17, 2011 1:23 PM

Jul 2008
I don't care about weeaboos
Jul 20, 2011 6:41 PM
Sep 2010
Well, as a USAF veteran, I'm only bothered by American weeaboos. I feel badly for those weeaboos from other countries but Americans that decry our great nation because of some animation that heavily features some rather European or European American looking characters or rock/pop/rap music whose form originated in America irritate me. I love my country, our culture and our history. I proudly point to the fact that America is actually the largest exporter of culture in the world. I cry when I sing the Star Spangled Banner.

However, while being a staunch supporter of my homeland, I am also able to appreciate the culture of others. My former job as a linguist and my education in International Relations encouraged this. As such, I speak several languages that I occasionally pepper my speech with, I regularly wear international clothing (Kimono, Saree, Salwar Kameez, Kaftan, Hanfu, Qipao, etc), I watch lots of foreign films, listen to lots of foreign music, eat/cook various ethnic cuisine...you get the picture.

The problem with all of this is...invariably, someone sees me on a day where I'm wearing Kimono or hears me say a Japanese phrase or gush over an anime and I'm automatically labeled a Weeaboo, not a patriotic yet diplomatic American. No one ever insults me like that when I'm in a Saree or I'm dropping Arabic phrases or gushing over Zhang Yimou's films. However, because of weeaboos, it's almost like appreciating the culture of Japan is off limits for people like myself. Korea is soon becoming a no-no as well.

But, w/e, I'm used to being labeled and misunderstood. Ignorant people will think what they will. So, in my best voice from South Park, "you don't know me! I do what I want!"

Note: This post was written under the definition of a weeaboo as an extreme Japanophile. I do not necessarily consider otaku (cosplayers, figurine collectors or avid fans of anime) to be weeaboo. There is overlap but they don't necessarily have to be one and the same.
arielifeomaJul 20, 2011 10:20 PM
Jul 20, 2011 11:59 PM

Sep 2010
I proudly point to the fact that America is actually the largest exporter of culture in the world. I cry when I sing the Star Spangled Banner.

America is the largest importer of culture since America is pretty light on culture considering it's age and being a country built by other countries. Just sayin. There isn't a lot of American culture to export.

Jul 21, 2011 12:04 AM
Jul 2007
Anime_Name said:
I proudly point to the fact that America is actually the largest exporter of culture in the world. I cry when I sing the Star Spangled Banner.

America is the largest importer of culture since America is pretty light on culture considering it's age and being a country built by other countries. Just sayin. There isn't a lot of American culture to export.

Even though we are young we are one of the most influential countries in the world. Many countries try to act like us, or they like things that we do here in America. I think the appeal of our country is that we have freedom and democracy.
Jul 21, 2011 12:18 AM

Sep 2010
kaleidostar1187 said:

Even though we are young we are one of the most influential countries in the world. Many countries try to act like us, or they like things that we do here in America. I think the appeal of our country is that we have freedom and democracy.

Democracy and freedom are not culture and if they were the concepts would belong to Greece and/or Ancient Rome.
As for influence, money and guns will tend to do that but America has been looking kinda light on the money as of late. However I was referring to culture and not merely influence.

Jul 21, 2011 12:41 AM

Jun 2010
Ok.. so I googled weeaboo first so I think I get the sense.. Oh well, I don't think I ever encountered that kind of person that thinks everything in Japan is the best (did I get the meaning right?).. But some are obsessed in Japan that they want to go there and work there.. So is he a weeaboo? Well, I don't care what others say to me if I'm with those kind of people. I'm open minded so I don't mind what kind of friend I make as long as he's nice and trustworthy.. I've already encountered so many weird people, at first it feels bad to be with them. But some of them (maybe 1 or 2) are really nice so I don't mind to be with them. I think it doesn't change my image
Jul 21, 2011 9:17 AM

Dec 2010
I get so damn embarassed when I see Weaboos blabbering about anime/manga, especially when people who he/she is not talking to hears it as well. They're like Jehovah's witnesses trying to make you believe in their religion. I hate it when someone constantly pressures me to watch something I dislike - especially when they're doin it so loudly in public.

"hey man did you check out <insert hentai anime title here>?! omfg so much tits man!!!! Omg I wish I could be part of the story!!! U should go watch omfg you'll love it duuude!!!"

Ugh.

I don't like it when someone is so overly enthusiastic about anime/manga to the point they will only talk about such things to people. Like damn, there's more to life than just anime lol.

I don't think wanting to learn Japanese is Weaboo-like though. It's like any other language - you choose to learn because it is interesting and it helps you in some way (at least it does for me). I just dont want to hear the Weaboos idolizing Japan when they don't know shit about it besides anime/manga related things.

I really hate it when I see them drawing anime characters on desks and shit at school. They're different from real artists in ways of how they think. Weaboos feel superior because they know a lot about anime shit, while enthusiasts are generally less egotistical and appreciate anime for being what it is.
RezurrektJul 21, 2011 9:24 AM

Jul 21, 2011 9:23 AM

Sep 2010
Weaboos feel superior because they know a lot about anime shit, while enthusiasts are generally less egotistical and appreciate anime for being what it is.

Doesn't seem that way to me. Historically it has been the people that feel superior being the ones that create labels for some out-group they want to demean. Sometimes the out-group will create a derogatory name in retaliation but it was the superior ones tossing the first stone. I could be wrong but is there even a weeaboo consensus on what to call non-weeaboos? That right there hints at who are the ones with superiority complexes.

Jul 21, 2011 9:24 AM
Nov 2008
DesolateOne said:
Weaboos feel superior because they know a lot about anime shit.

Hah, as if weeaboos know shit about anime.
Jul 21, 2011 9:37 AM

Dec 2010
Anime_Name said:
Weaboos feel superior because they know a lot about anime shit, while enthusiasts are generally less egotistical and appreciate anime for being what it is.

Doesn't seem that way to me. Historically it has been the people that feel superior being the ones that create labels for some out-group they want to demean. Sometimes the out-group will create a derogatory name in retaliation but it was the superior ones tossing the first stone. I could be wrong but is there even a weeaboo consensus on what to call non-weeaboos? That right there hints at who are the ones with superiority complexes.

That is only because some people consider Weaboos to be inferior for believing that they are superior or Japan being superior to every to every other country because of anime/manga. It is not so much a superiority complex-like fashion the way people view Weaboos - it's the fact they take things to the extreme unlike the majority of the population that makes them stand out.

It is similar to how people view some delinquents. They view them as unacceptable in society because their behaviors reflect violence/mental instability. Is this way of thinking wrong? A bit, but for the most part it's true what kind of behaviors to expect from them.

Jul 21, 2011 9:40 AM

Aug 2010
They don't actually embarrass me but I do think weaboos can have extremely negative impact on how others may view us as anime lovers. Its just like in any other medium, we are defined by the most vocal of our respective groups and those tend to be the Naruto headband wearing, cat ears wearing, cosplaying everyday weaboos.

Its one thing to be passionate about something you love but its another thing to be so obsessed with something that you give nothing else a shot and only talk Japan. I particularly hate the ones that just crap on anything American. How are you going eat, sleep, and breathe manga then completely disregard comics as total and utter garbage?

Ask a weaboo if they seen any particular American show and they'll just give you the condescending answer of "I don't watch American shows, I only watch Japanese stuff" I'm literally just in awe at the weabooness if that's even a word.
Jul 21, 2011 9:48 AM

Jul 2011
nah, like i care
i do what i want to do
nothing to feel embarrased about
i like anime
and that's it
weaboos got nothing to do with me
Jul 21, 2011 10:39 AM

Sep 2010
DesolateOne said:
Anime_Name said:

That is only because some people consider Weaboos to be inferior for believing that they are superior or Japan being superior to every to every other country because of anime/manga. It is not so much a superiority complex-like fashion the way people view Weaboos - it's the fact they take things to the extreme unlike the majority of the population that makes them stand out.

It is similar to how people view some delinquents. They view them as unacceptable in society because their behaviors reflect violence/mental instability. Is this way of thinking wrong? A bit, but for the most part it's true what kind of behaviors to expect from them.

Go ahead believe our friendly neighborhood 4channers and put those weeaboos in their inferior place.

Jul 21, 2011 1:29 PM

Dec 2010
Anime_Name said:

Go ahead believe our friendly neighborhood 4channers and put those weeaboos in their inferior place.

lol I don't really understand what you meant as I've never been on 4chan. Are they like those guys who think they're superior to Weaboos?

Jul 21, 2011 1:36 PM

May 2008
makaiking said:
He kept trying to suggest me Shojo anime (such as Ouran High School Host Club), dispite me not even mentioning or showing an interest in anime.

So by this logic, nobody should randomly recommend to others, things that they themselves like. That makes no sense.

Fact: People of every fandom like to recommend to people something they like. In fact, many people are pushy about it. Honestly, by the end he did seem a little too pushy. But that's honestly true of any fandom. You're not going to escape finding people like that. Least of all something like music. And I mean come on, not liking shoujo? Lame. You make me ashamed to be an anime fan.

And also, I'm much more of a weeaboo than that guy, bet. Honestly, real weeaboos like Japanese dramas much better than anime. I honestly know lots of weeaboo who hate anime because they want to be a weeaboo and be "cool" about it as possible.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jul 21, 2011 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
Anime_Name said:

Blues music, Jazz music, Gospel music, Rock music, Hollywood, American Football, Baseball, Basketball, American Literature...

Nope, no American cultural exports at all...
Jul 21, 2011 2:20 PM

Apr 2010
ukonkivi said:
So by this logic, nobody should randomly recommend to others, things that they themselves like. That makes no sense.

Fact: People of every fandom like to recommend to people something they like. In fact, many people are pushy about it. Honestly, by the end he did seem a little too pushy. But that's honestly true of any fandom. You're not going to escape finding people like that. Least of all something like music. And I mean come on, not liking shoujo? Lame. You make me ashamed to be an anime fan.

Indeed. A weeaboo only gets annoying if hes too pushy on the subject, but in reality thats true of any fan and any subject. From a frat boy trying to tell you that Transformers 3 is the must see movie of today, to an old librarian telling you how shakespeare is a must read for everyone... its all the same. The truly annoying part is just how pushy they get (and everyones tollerance is different...) If they either keep it to themselves, or back off when they realise their reccomendations aren't wanted, then go for it I say.
Jul 21, 2011 5:03 PM

Dec 2008
Not really. I am somewhat embarrassed when people think of "regular" anime fans of weeaboos, when it's clearly realized, like in other fandoms, you're always going to have a group of overreacting, obnoxious, annoying fans, and the cooler, calmer, more reasonable fandom that is embarrassed of them. It's just how people are. Some people get into something because they like it, and then there's folks who just get obsessed and over everyone else's heads with it by making it a necessary factor in their life.

I've run into weeaboos before. They annoy me, but I usually try to make nice, because they can be nice people. It's only the people who talk my ear off about things I already know and won't leave me alone or let me say anything and have trouble switching to another topic that get frustrating to the point I want to avoid them. You can be cool about your fandom, you can even be enthusiastic and proud about your fandom - you just don't have to go over the top with your fandom, which is what I think some people don't realize. I think "going over the top" is being loud, pushy, and acting like a know-it-all. Just rude people. But some people are rude, what are you gonna do?

One thing I will say I admire, though, is a weeaboo's enthusiasm. I think some people are so shut up and embarrassed about what they like that they can't be themselves or they're afraid to be themselves in the mistake that they'll be judged as a weeaboo and nothing more. It's important to look past the person and not just make an initial judgment and be done with it. There's obviously complications that resulted in this person to be viewed as a weeaboo, and then there's people who are just jerks with seemingly no other flaws about them. Ugh.

I guess I'm getting into the sociology and psychology of people now, and some may call me a hypocrite, but hey. I'm proud of my anime fandom, I'm not afraid to admit it, and I like what I like. People will judge, always will. Haters are gonna hate.
Jul 21, 2011 5:51 PM

Mar 2010
No.

Just because I have the same hobby as someone else doesn't automatically make me feel as though I'm in the same boat as them.

And if someone gets a twisted impression of me due to sheer prejudice, they are most likely not worth my recognition.

H y a h h a a !
Jul 21, 2011 6:24 PM

Sep 2010
AnnoKano said:
Anime_Name said:

Blues music, Jazz music, Gospel music, Rock music, Hollywood, American Football, Baseball, Basketball, American Literature...

Nope, no American cultural exports at all...

Learn to fucking read and stop putting words in my mouth.

Jul 21, 2011 7:26 PM
Feb 2010
Yes, Im very ashamed of liking anime cause most anime lovers in my country are underage weaboos.

I dont like to use japanese words, and I hate culture.

Only thing I dislike more than weaboos are koreaboos.

robotique said:
No.

Just because I have the same hobby as someone else doesn't automatically make me feel as though I'm in the same boat as them.

And if someone gets a twisted impression of me due to sheer prejudice, they are most likely not worth my recognition.

I know that ppl that have this prejudice is wrong, but I can expect them to think otherwise when weaboos are showing off their knowledge.

I like to keep my powerleverl a secret, not because I want to blend in, but because nobody gives a fuck about it and I dont want to annoy normalfags.
Jul 23, 2011 9:34 PM
Jan 2008
Yes, unfortunately. Especially when it comes to saying that I should hate dubs that I like that they themselves detest, saying that they are in truth awful. Sometimes I've even fallen low and fought back by defending the dubs, or, at least in two cases where I disliked the older dubs of Anime and preferred the newer dubs of said Anime, statinghat I disagreed. Sadly, even that can turn into trolling, too. So, it goes both ways.

How do you stand up for what you believe in without being an elitist yourself?
Jul 23, 2011 9:47 PM

Jun 2009
No doesn't bother me, beside I watch anime for the plot.

..I-I mean... I only watch it because it happened to be on, okay? I don't l-like it or anything! W-who would actaully want to watch anime?
Jul 24, 2011 12:42 AM

Mar 2008
I LOVE anime. It enables animators to do so much more than a camera can. And many of them have great stories and entertainment value.

But I hate telling people that I watch anime or am fairly fluent in Japanese because they think I'm a freak. And I blame the weeaboos. I'm not the coolest cucumber on the street but I don't flaunt my anime or video game fandom, and I think people who do are psychotic. I wouldn't be caught dead at a comic convention, sorry to say.
Aug 10, 2011 11:30 PM
Sep 2010
Anime_Name said:
kaleidostar1187 said:

Democracy and freedom are not culture and if they were the concepts would belong to Greece and/or Ancient Rome.
As for influence, money and guns will tend to do that but America has been looking kinda light on the money as of late. However I was referring to culture and not merely influence.

I'm just curious but do you have a graduate degree in International Relations, History, Anthropology or a related field? Because I do and your comments regarding (what you perceive as a lack of) American culture and the high societal value placed upon individual freedoms and democracy (somehow not being a marker of American culture) suggest that you don't. I ask this not to belittle you but to find out if you actually have some intellectual basis for your comments that would make it worth talking to you more about the subject or if you are just another malcontent and/or troll. If you are an American and think that you can make a valid argument as to 1) why societal values (like those for democracy and individual freedoms in contrast with hierarchy and social harmony, not saying that those are bad things just pointing out values of other cultures) should not be included when looking at the culture of a country regardless of their so-called origination or 2) how age, historical background or even other cultural influences somehow invalidates a nation's own culture please get back to me. We can then have a discussion without hogging this board. If you are not an American though, please don't bother. I believe that everyone should take pride in their own country and I wouldn't want to attempt to sway your loyalty if it understandably belongs to another. Thanks.

BTW, I thought I made it pretty clear and you did not direct any specific comment regarding this to me but, for the record, I do not consider myself superior in any form or fashion to weeaboos or extreme Japanophiles (those who profess to love Japan more than their own country, or countries for those with dual citizenship), as I am familiar with the term. I am merely saddened by what I see as a lack of patriotism and offended at the suggestion that I may lack patriotism myself.
arielifeomaAug 11, 2011 12:11 AM
Aug 11, 2011 2:15 AM
Jun 2011
Weeaboos in what way? People often misuse the word so it has little meaning in this day and age

Weeaboo as in someone who really likes anime a lot? No, because I'm sure we do stuff other people find annoying
Weeaboo as in someone who thinks anime is better than Western media? No, because they're correct
Weeaboo as someone who likes 'bad anime'? No, because that's all opinion.
Weeaboo as in someone who watches anime subbed? No, because i do too
Weeaboo as in someone who thinks they Japanese and do that otherkin junk and speaks broken Japanese? No... I mean, they're annoying, but it's silly to let someone dictate if you like something or not
Aug 11, 2011 2:35 AM

Jul 2011
Doesn't really bother me that much. Can be a little annoying but meh doesn't matter.
Aug 11, 2011 4:13 AM
Aug 2009
weeaboos in denial are just embarassing
Aug 11, 2011 4:48 AM

Aug 2011
first i hate girly boys because it just fucking gay.
seconde: everyone has a free will to do what he want you can't say to someone "no" because i dont like you.
ps: me and my girlfriend watch anime so what the fuck in it nothing bad about watching anime the bad in you if you hate yourself about watching anime
Aug 11, 2011 6:10 AM

Jul 2011
this thread is pointless

let them weaboos be, they ain't hurtin anybody :\
Aug 14, 2011 1:36 AM

May 2010
im often called a weaboo by my brother-in-law, but to be honset i don't think i am.
japan is cool and all...but i don't think there superior. i try to make japanese food but i also like to make Mexican, Italian, Chinese, and creole. i like listening to japanese music but also german music (i love rammstien) i speak a lil japanese but i speak a lil spanish and french too. so i don't see how i am a weaboo :/
Aug 14, 2011 6:28 AM

Sep 2009
kawaiisweetbunny said:
im often called a weaboo by my brother-in-law, but to be honset i don't think i am.
japan is cool and all...but i don't think there superior. i try to make japanese food but i also like to make Mexican, Italian, Chinese, and creole. i like listening to japanese music but also german music (i love rammstien) i speak a lil japanese but i speak a lil spanish and french too. so i don't see how i am a weaboo :/

ppl like to define weeaboo as someone who is a little bit more into Japan than they themselves are. So ofc every non-anime watcher will call you a weeaboo.
Aug 14, 2011 6:45 AM

Jul 2011
Weaboos? No.

Ecchi/Hentai fans and real otaku? Kind of.
Aug 14, 2011 8:09 AM

Jun 2011
No, because I am not one myself. I do have an appreciation for some aspects of Japanese culture, but for me, this is also true of many other cultures. I've had a lifelong interest in other cultures and languages; it neither begun nor ended with anime.

I am the only person who represents myself - with the exception, perhaps, of close friends that I've chosen to associate with. It's not my concern if other people who like the same thing as I do have an unhealthy obsession or behave atrociously.

For example (even though this doesn't relate directly to the topic of weaboo, the same principle applies) - I am an unapologetic fan of m/m slash, which is closely related in most people's mind with BL and yaoi. "Yaoi fangirls," as a whole, have a bad reputation in the fandom. I don't feel or act the way they do when it comes to certain things, however, so I don't feel associated with those types of fans.
Aug 14, 2011 8:34 AM
Jul 2018
Anime_Name said:
Learn to fucking read and stop putting words in my mouth.

You said:

Anime_Name said:
There isn't a lot of American culture to export.

To which I expressed my disagreement, including a list of examples to back up my claim.

You are quite correct that America did have a lot of outside influence regarding culture initially, but since the fall of the British Empire the United States has been the dominant culture and its influence can be seen all over the world.

And culture is a very broad term, encompassing a wide range of different activities, many of which bear little resemblance to one another-- for example, 'painting' and 'golf' could both be considered cultural activities, yet the only thing the two have in common is that they are both leisure activities.

Culture is not just stuff like ancient traditions and national sports- it's much more widespread than that.
Aug 15, 2011 2:05 AM

Jun 2011
Yeah, I don't really like "try hard" anime fans; the kind that it looks like they are almost forcing to make the hobby an "obsession" just so they can be termed as a "Weaboo" or "Otaku". Generally, these are people that go from zero to hundred with anime, and they don't usually stay like it.

Aug 15, 2011 5:53 AM

Jul 2011
No, Weaboos do not make me embarrassed about liking anime. I like anime a lot and so do Weaboos, we just have different ways of expressing our interests. I have yet to meet a Weaboo but I bet they aren't all annoying people, and if people associate me with a Weaboo for liking anime then they can think all they want, because they never actually took the time to actually know me.
Aug 15, 2011 6:24 AM

Aug 2010
I got called out for being a weaboo because I controller of mine customed with the art of my favorite anime. I swear if we were in a different place I would have fought him. He considers himself a weaboo and happily admits but I'm nowhere near on his level so I felt insulted to say the least.
Aug 15, 2011 8:00 AM

Feb 2010
In OP's case its the fear of other stereotypes(i'm sure theres a word in psychology which would fit better). Lets say if you were hanging out with your friend friends and they'd ask you: "what things you like, your hobbies?". I'm sure you'd not mention anything near to an anime.
Personally i can say with ease that i'm somewhat anime lover, i do like Hentai and other weeabooish things. Does this make me feel emabarassed? A little bit, due to narrowminded/stupid people and their stereotypes, it's a bit pitty that i'm not getting accepted as everyone else but guess staying my self is better than doing things just to be in someones company.
I don't have any problems with other people having strange hobbies, some one is more into them some just casual. I'd try to have a conversation with that guy, ask him why does he like OHC and other "girly" anime, i don't understand how he can like them just like other people don't understand how can someone like Hentai.
About hobbies i'm "Whaa? Meh.., okay, everyone has it own preferences". I don't judge people for climbing in a stupid mountain, dying, freezing off their feet, finger etc, i don't care.. if they like it - what ever.

just some random thoughts
LUL
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

28 by SnipeStrike »»
14 seconds ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 3 hours ago

23 by SnipeStrike »»
3 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by BlackSpectrum »»
5 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 9 hours ago

15 by SnipeStrike »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

55 by Rinenka »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.