Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 14, 2011 2:53 PM

Mar 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Part 1: A serious(?) philosophical discussions about test scores...

Mio gets 67 on her test.

Part 2: Nano tries to feed Hakase a medicine for her cold with Sakamoto-san's advice

Sakamoto, aka Shiraishi Minoru cat, is freaking cute XD

Hakase is also very cute! She looks like a younger version of Rebecca Miyamoto. :)

Part 3: Some random fun activities at the train station

It's a triple deck bed...but one person seems to be at disadvantage here..

Nothing crazy so far. It's a very relaxed slice-of-life series with slightly quirky tone of humor and a lot of (!) chats. I'd say the show is very different from Lucky Star, but it's more close to Sketchbook: full colors in many ways:)
kuroshiroiMar 19, 2011 3:03 PM

Mar 15, 2011 6:40 AM

Jul 2010
i tried to remember how to read "東雲" while 2nd part, till the narration said the answer

usual day...
now i come to appreciate it

OOOOOOooooooo,,,,, now
Shizuoka quake .tysdrkl;tjmpd.dgs12524t.....
Tokai Earthquake ??
Mar 15, 2011 10:39 PM
Jan 2008
Super cute and heartwarming. Hopefully the series has the same pace.
Mar 15, 2011 10:57 PM

Aug 2010
8/10

lots of little details gave it merit, not to mention the very well-done OST. Felt almost like a mini-movie.

looking forward to the 2-season series
Mar 16, 2011 12:02 AM

Jul 2008
stevewiess01 said:
relaxed

ecstaesthesia said:
heartwarming

We're ignoring the bazooka, then?

Don't expect that thing to keep quiet.
Mar 16, 2011 12:08 AM

Jul 2008
I thought it was okay. Hopefully it will grow on me more when the really series starts. I only chuckled maybe twice.
Mar 16, 2011 3:35 AM

Nov 2008
The relaxed slice-of-life atmosphere mixed with some not-so-normal things (like the cog in Nano's back and Sakamoto the talking cat) reminded me of Potemayo.

It wasn't quite as good as Pote, though, so I gave it 6/10. I wonder what the TV series will be like. I hope it will have some of Potemayo's stranger humor (such as a girl similar to Potemayo's Nene Kasugano and something similar to Guchuko's beams, amongst other things.) as well as the cute parts that they both share.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 16, 2011 5:49 AM

Mar 2010
Nice introduction but I hope show gets better subs, Ahodomo's subs were horrible
Mar 16, 2011 7:16 AM

Nov 2010
didn't expect it to be this good, cat is my fav atm, animation reminds me of lucky star, in a good way, SFX/sound track was leet too...
Mar 16, 2011 7:44 AM
Jan 2008
hankgathers said:
We're ignoring the bazooka, then?

Ah, but a grenade will definitely relax you in the end... :p
Mar 16, 2011 8:37 AM

Jun 2008
Was expecting more randomness.
But still a nice ova.
Sakamoto was my favorite :'D
Mar 16, 2011 10:10 AM

Mar 2010
Ahh Another great anime that is just relieves you of every type of worry and is soo funny xD

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 16, 2011 10:31 AM
Jul 2009
Xardie said:
Nice introduction but I hope show gets better subs, Ahodomo's subs were horrible

Really? I didn't think it was bad at all. Do you mind explaining why you though so?
Mar 16, 2011 11:31 AM

Nov 2008
While not exactly very funny by slice of life standards, it is very relaxing which is good especially right now with depression and sadness at every corner. Man, this anime is nonsensical as well, Nano has a wind on her back. The RPG is played for gags for those concerned about a rocket propelled grenade being used in a Tamayura class anime.

Hikase is really cute.

The test grade scene was hilarious.

It will get better most likely.

8.7/10

Mar 16, 2011 11:56 AM

Dec 2009
It was very relaxing and laid-back. Not heavy on the jokes but that's alright.
Ara ara.
Mar 16, 2011 12:18 PM

Sep 2009
are595 said:
Xardie said:

Really? I didn't think it was bad at all. Do you mind explaining why you though so?
Probably including "distracted lulz" seemed a bit unprofessional. I didn't really mind it, though. Anyway, 'twas wasn't as bad as I expected, but it wasn't very impressive either. I love the fact that I can memorize the lyrics to the ending though. That's probably going to be the best this season, if they keep it for the main series, heh.
Mar 16, 2011 5:19 PM
Jun 2010
I really do like the cat.
Mar 16, 2011 6:33 PM

Mar 2010
Iisan-kun said:
The cat's voice saved this episode... seriously.

Does anyone know who the voice actor is?

The cat's voiced by Shiraishi Minoru. He also voiced "Shiraishi Minoru" in Lucky Star as well as Taniguchi in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu.

Mar 16, 2011 8:14 PM

Apr 2010
stevewiess01 said:
Iisan-kun said:
The cat's voice saved this episode... seriously.

Does anyone know who the voice actor is?

The cat's voiced by Shiraishi Minoru. He also voiced "Shiraishi Minoru" in Lucky Star as well as Taniguchi in Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu.

i was about to say Sakamoto was awesome, then i saw this, he's now epic!

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Mar 16, 2011 8:18 PM

Sep 2008
Shinonome and Nano were the cutest things ever.
Okay, I only like Nano because of the wind-up thing on her back, so what?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2011 9:28 PM

Feb 2008
didn't care much for the cat. but hakase was too adorable. the reaction to the grade was priceless
Mar 17, 2011 1:41 AM

Nov 2007
It reminded me a bit of Azumango, but dragged out so much it turned boring.
The cat was ok, but the rest...meh.
I can see the potential, but they need to pick up the pace for the series.
Mar 17, 2011 4:12 AM

Oct 2010
This is a really cool and funny anime. It reminds of the enjoyments of Hidamari Sketch mixed with great humor from Ichigo Mashimaro so I am so in for the ride. Since this in segment format it makes it easier for me discuss about since anyone can talk about each segment and which ones they liked. I for one had #1 as segment 2 because Hakase is just too damn cute in the following,

and #2 as segment 3. First segment did not work for me as well but was enjoyable. More later

About segment 2, right away from the way Hakase looked with that running nose I knew she was going out pawn in MOE the other girls and I was right. She was so funny always pointing out something her cat Sakamoto said yet it was not true, a gag in itself. From the looks of nano she is most likely a robot build by Hakase so she is one of those small kids that have over 200 IQ and I am also pretty sure Sakamoto is either a super genetically modified cat that can talk or is a robot also. I got good laughs at Sakamoto getting distracted by the butterfly while ironically he was smart talking not too long ago. Now I had to know by Hakase’s surprised expression that flan was a favorite of genius just like my first surprise at Dr Nova in Gunnm in eating one, which BTW now I like them too. Hakase was just too adorable drawing in the spoiler
as well as being all surprised.

About segment 3, well the beginning was pretty nuts with Yuuko doing a cart wheel so close to that yellow lines, oh heck you can fall so easy, I would so not do that IRL. Mio was far smarter in doing a roller around. Mai was the most strange one with her finger going around. What really worked for me to make this segment as #2 is Sumo wrestling along with a Yuuko expression in the spoiler
I laughed at the surprised faces of Mio/Yuuko as much as Yuuko being surprised herself after for what looks like a imitation of a three floor bed in the spoiler
problem is that Yuuko took the really dirty hard part while Mai did get a sagfe place but not so confrotable either so in the end Mio had the best one.

About segment 1, certainly the intro of this anime’s world and its art left a nice impression. From the different Mio facial expressions in the spoiler
Mio certainly was good in her insisting, fear, laughing and cheerful facial expressions. While the best one is of her polar opposite expression of kind of like yandere dangerous personality, well it did not look like yandere but more like “Don’t fuck with me.” literally.Mio catching a fish and all this passion for fishing was cool.

On the other hand Yuuko had some good stuff going around I find the rich creation of different facials expression with background changes in the spoiler
were far more superior to Mio’s facials IMO. From being blinded by the light, to wink/smile, to being dazed and serious, it was all great stuff. The Yuuko blessing on Mio tapping on the back was a great hilarious part in this segment. BTW anyone noticed here the teacher running after student gag but I don’t exactly get why the student would be running away as well as Mohawk kid in class. All I got to say about the intermission is “Don’t play around Yuuko if you don’t want to get a RPG in your face as a teacher” in the spoiler
In general great stuff. Simple and funny.
Yumekichi11Mar 17, 2011 4:47 AM

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Mar 17, 2011 4:55 AM

Oct 2009
Boring. Really boring. 4/10.
Mar 17, 2011 5:50 AM

Sep 2010
Quite good Slice of Life..... but graphics are not upto KyoAni's standards....

And Japanese people mark wrong answers with a tick...... You normally use tick to mark correct answers..... that's just confusing..... :P
Mar 17, 2011 6:56 AM

Feb 2010
Okay, what's up with that bazooka!?
Mar 17, 2011 8:10 AM

May 2009
Kind of disappointing, when I read the synopsis I expected something more similar to FLCL than a straight slice of life.
Mar 17, 2011 8:48 AM

Mar 2010
It was a great start, gave 8/10 and looking forward to the series.
Mar 17, 2011 11:39 AM

Aug 2010
Arashi89 said:

Yeah I was expecting something more... crazy? I guess. I like slice though, as long as they pull it off well in the series.

Also to whoever mentioned subs, UTW picked it up so if you want subs that aren't shit go get it.
Mar 17, 2011 2:12 PM

Aug 2008
I was rather disappointed in this OVA. I quite like the manga, but the thing that I liked about the manga was the oddness of it, which was absent from this OVA, but I am still looking forward to seeing the TV series as I'm sure as it adapts more of the manga it will get crazier.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Mar 17, 2011 2:39 PM
Mar 17, 2011 9:24 PM

Oct 2010
Rhypo-oniichan said:
Intermission comedy. Lots of them is a WTF or O_o generally.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Mar 17, 2011 9:31 PM

Oct 2009
Eh, it's pretty good but nothing that really stands out.
I didn't go into it with big expectations though, since I thought the manga wasn't that great.

Looking forward to the series though, hopefully KyoAni will make it enjoyable.
Mar 17, 2011 9:34 PM

Aug 2008
Yumekichi11 said:
Rhypo-oniichan said:
Intermission comedy. Lots of them is a WTF or O_o generally.

The stuff with the bazooka actually does tie into the story, in the manga at least.
私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです
Mar 18, 2011 2:25 AM

Nov 2007
Whoa, the beginning confused me a bit till I realised that a tick mark actually means you got something wrong while a circle means it's right in Japan @_______@

I watched this as a test to see if the TV Show would be worth the time, but I guess I'll just wait to see how well the TV Show does. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't really that great either.
6/10

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Mar 18, 2011 7:18 AM

Aug 2009
Basically (in my humble opinion): Azumanga Daioh + Kamichu.
Slow pace and soft (but not typical) jokes. Will the TV series be more intense?
Mar 18, 2011 1:12 PM

Apr 2008
stevewiess01 said:

Too many checkmarks for a 1/100. (first thing I noticed)
Mar 18, 2011 1:20 PM

May 2009
I liked it - It was cute and had some fun characters. I noticed the soundtrack was good as well. I'm definitely going to watch the TV-anime.
Mar 18, 2011 4:34 PM

Jul 2008
blahrgness said:
stevewiess01 said:

The checks mean they are wrong. Circles are correct.
Mar 18, 2011 11:12 PM
Jul 2009
GarLogan78 said:
blahrgness said:
stevewiess01 said:

The checks mean they are wrong. Circles are correct.

Or in this case a triangle? XD
Mar 20, 2011 4:57 AM

Jun 2008
Rasco said:
Ahh Another great anime that is just relieves you of every type of worry and is soo funny xD

Yeah that's what it seemed. I actually liked it. A little stupid but enjoyable nevertheless. It certainly convinced me to check out the show.
Mar 20, 2011 7:32 AM

Feb 2010
Was a bit slow but not terrible. I'll give the first few episodes a shot and see how it turns out.
Mar 20, 2011 1:08 PM

Jun 2009
Can’t say I really enjoyed it. It was too random and not exactly funny. It just dragged on and on.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Mar 22, 2011 5:29 PM

Oct 2008
I think the scenes were a little too drawn out.
And, there's just something about nose dropping characters that turn me off.
Ironically, the ending music is absolutely heavenly. That's the power of a good melody.
I love it.
Mar 22, 2011 8:01 PM

Jan 2009
What the hell did I just watch?
No, seriously. I love moe, I seriously love moe, but this was waaaay too much. For the first two minutes of the first part I was like, awww so cute~~ o3o ... And then I was all like, "When is this going to end?!" o_O
The only good thing about this OVA is Sakamoto, this cat is hillarious XD Hakase was too moe for me, couldn't take it.
I'll check out the TV series though, because I'm a KyoAni fangirl and because Lucky Star was boring at first, too, but then it turned out to be one of my favourite animes, so... :D

By the way, I like the art. I think everyone here knows that KyoAni are capable of more, but it fits perectly. Reminds me of Lucky star - plain, simple and with awesome smooth movements.
Mar 22, 2011 10:44 PM

Jul 2009
I lol'd. Looking forward to the tv series.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Mar 22, 2011 11:50 PM
Mar 2010
The fuck? KyoAni, I am disappointed. Jokes were forced and awkward. I'm a fan of slice-of-life, but this is terrible. Expected Azumanga Daioh or Lucky Star, but we get this? This better improve when it becomes a television series.
Giving a 4/10 just because of the cat.
Mar 27, 2011 7:58 AM

Dec 2009
Nice start, didn't expect the cat to talk.

8/10
yuno6.jpg
Mar 31, 2011 2:43 PM

Jun 2009
So, KyoAni trying to make their next big seiyuu...
they use many unpopular seiyuu and make them into popular like they did in SHnY, Lucky Star and K-ON!
Apr 2, 2011 2:28 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I really enjoyed this and I'm definitely looking forward to the TV series. The cat being unable to control his cat-like tendencies was hilarious. Also, the ED song is wonderful!

8/10
p r o f i l e 👀
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Kyoto Animation reveals PV of Nichijou's Episode 0 (OAD)

stevewiess01 - Nov 26, 2010

3 by kaworu-nagisa »»
Mar 14, 2011 2:40 PM

» Shiraishi Minoru...

throwaway513846 - Jan 11, 2011

0 by throwaway513846 »»
Jan 11, 2011 12:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.