Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2011 8:36 PM

Feb 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
wooo Gma back story!!!

there's one more baddie left to appear... meh and he looks like a middle aged ugly guy.
weee.

I don't really dig these villains at all... hopefully they'll grow on me.

I wanna know what Pollum is used for when he turns into HIS compact / portable gaming system... 0_o
Dec 11, 2012 1:40 PM

May 2010
The vibe of this episode was quite different than previous episodes, they really made it feel surreal.

Looking it up on ANN, apparently this was the only episode where main director Daisuke Nishio is also the episode director. I wish he directed more episodes, because this was pretty darn cool.
“Money can't buy dere”
Mar 25, 2015 8:17 PM

Jun 2014
Grandmas' life is quite interesting, and it appears Mipple helped her in her early days.

I wonder how much more she really knows.

Jan 13, 2016 2:44 AM

Jan 2016
Oh damn....When she said that the city was gone, i thought it was a Dark Zone plot that happened in her childhood that she could remember because she had the morpher, but then suddenly WW2 out of nowhere....Certainly didnt expect that, and from a kids show no less. Thumbs up! ^^

About time we got to see some Zakennas again. Felt like we last saw them an eternity ago.

Really like the cures as characters. They're not super complex, but they grow on you, and once that happens they just wont let go.^^

Wow, i may be the only one, but i find the new villains pretty terrifying. So far they seem like Pieces of a greater evil who dont really comprehend their power yet, but have a vague idea of who they are, driven by a desire for revenge.
Me likey.

So, there is at least one seed left. I hope the Dynamic between the villains is a bit different this time. The last generals seemed like they just barely tolerated each other(except for Kiriya and his sis, but even that just barely fits the bill).
Id'be cool if the seeds had some kind of camraderie thing going one, like they genuinley
like each other. Would make sense too, since they are essentially the same person.

Cant wait to see whats next.
May 27, 2016 7:23 PM

Jun 2008
This was definitely one of the better episodes in this series.
Dec 13, 2016 6:18 AM

Mar 2008
As others have noted - a stand-out episode this week.

Apart from the on-point direction, it's lovely how they managed to blend together all in one the summer-feel, Precure's motivational trough, the ominous Dark Seed happenings, the ruin of WW2, and Granny's mysterious past.
May 5, 2017 12:46 AM

Nov 2011
This was a really good episode. I wish we got ones like this more often.
TripleSRankMay 5, 2017 12:52 AM
Oct 12, 2017 7:46 AM

Jan 2010

One of my favorite types of stories are hard-earned happy endings. It's that feeling where there's an inevitable ending where everything works but, but until then, the characters will need to survive great hardships first.

This episode was really well done in that regard. It begins with some simple daily life, where the doldrums of summer coincide with the girls' anxiety over the new threat. No, rather, it's not that they're worried about the potential return of the Dark King, but the fear that the fighting would never end. This was done in combination to some creepy scenes of people disappearing. I'm not even sure if they were returned. While it was left implied, Nagisa and Honoka felt like there were only two possibilities for the future: endless conflict or their eventual defeat and world ruin. Now, this is a concept seeped in fantasy, where a magical force could end the world. However, Nagisa's grandmother brought it back to reality, where she referenced her experiences surviving WWII. I expected her to talk about her magical girl past or give some simple pep talk, but the show actually treated the girls' worries with upfront seriousness, which was completely unexpected. The war itself wasn't the focus though, as the flash back did not intend to be any sort of political message. Rather, it highlighted a historical moment where the girls' city was, in fact, in ruins, and even amidst that despair, people persisted and recovered.

Of course, it wasn't a completely heavy episode, as there were a number of sweet, charming, comedic, and even silly moments throughout, but the harsher moments ended up balancing well with the lighthearted content. This results in the latter building a lot of character while the former brings the show back to its pre-established atmosphere. Yes, this is returning the show to its status quo, but as an episodic, formulaic series that could easily go the route of mindless monster-of-the-week stories, this episode was special. The characters actually sat down and questioned their situation. They brought up personal concerns and hammered in that they are, in fact, still middle schoolers that have ridiculous amounts of responsibilities. Sometimes that's easy to forget, and I'm far too used to shows that attempt to overcompensate this point with life and death super seriousness. It's nice to see a show that can be dramatic without going over the edge.

Oh, and the straight fist fighting was really fun. This is the first time they didn't end the fight with a super-powered magical blast. I'm really impressed with Pretty Cure.
Sep 22, 2018 9:18 PM
Dec 2017
I've had emotional moments through the whole season but this one really hit the mark. Probably my favourite episode so far, which is fun cause 28 is one of my lucky numbers
Dec 23, 2018 10:38 AM

Jul 2015
This reminded me to more slow paced Doremi episodes, also from Toei, that was a nice story about Honoka's grandma and the drama of WW2.
Apr 27, 2019 12:24 AM
Jul 2018
Like everyone else said, pretty good episode. Really nothing more to add, it was great in every aspect.
Jul 15, 2020 11:29 PM

Sep 2016
This was a pretty good episode. Although, I didn't see the whole WW2 thing coming.
May 5, 2021 3:07 PM
Oct 2019
I will just go and say it, this show is incredible.
Sep 20, 2021 5:24 PM

Apr 2021
this episode is my favorite so far. near the ending caught be by surprise, those kicks were lethal. i hope to see more episodes like this in the future!

Sep 12, 2022 12:07 PM

Feb 2020
I see I'm not the only one who loved this episode.
Feb 25, 6:22 PM

Dec 2022
this pair is going to offer up the despair!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 5 Discussion

Sasuke10271994 - Aug 9, 2010

14 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Apr 16, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 21 Discussion

MusashiRose - Mar 9, 2011

14 by ILOVEMEIKO »»
Mar 30, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 49 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Mar 13, 2011

17 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 5, 7:11 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 47 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - Mar 13, 2011

7 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 5, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Pretty Cure Episode 46 Discussion

MusashiRose - Mar 30, 2011

8 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 5, 12:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.