Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 »
May 4, 2016 9:59 PM

Dec 2015
I knew this was gonna happen but actually seeing was kind of heart-breaking. I like how in this timeline she's so cold to even Madoka, compared to how she was at the start.

On the flipside, Mami appeared! Oh wait...
Aug 18, 2016 1:48 PM

Feb 2016
This episode remembers me so much on Steins;Gate. Nonetheless,it's a fantastic episode.
Oct 15, 2016 6:39 PM

May 2015
wow what an amazing episode.

super cool to see the other timelines. and how everything played out

pretty interesting to see madoka actually being a magical girl in the other timelines and homura-chan backstory is :3

also how the stuff from episode 1 finally made sense in this ep. steins gate stuff here
peanutncookieOct 15, 2016 6:42 PM
Nov 6, 2016 7:26 AM

Aug 2016
episode 1-4 = what are you doing homura
episode 5-9 = Whats wrong with you homura
episode 10 = HOLY SHIT HOMURA!!!!
Jan 13, 2017 12:54 AM

Jan 2017
This was an amazing episode. Makes it clear why Homura had the cold behavior throughout the series. I like how this relates to what Homura said in one of the previous episodes: "too much kindness brings a lot of despair with it".

Indeed the bigger your wish it is to do good, the faster you transform into a witch, the greater the good done, the more powerful the witch is. (Madoka after transforming into the biggest witch after saving ending Walpurgis)

Kyube, the biggest manipulator of all, doesn't even need to lie to achieve his goals. Seems to be immortal, I hope he goes down somehow.

I do hope this show does not have a happy ending, it would spoil the series since it was so dark so far.
Feb 18, 2017 8:17 PM
Oct 2016
one of the best episdoes i've seen in my whole life
Mar 2, 2017 1:17 AM

Dec 2016
Oh wow so before Re:Zero we have this.

At least we now understand why Homura has such a cold personality in this timeline that she is in.
Mar 14, 2017 10:01 PM

Jan 2014
holy FUCK

probably gonna give this anime a 10/10
Mar 20, 2017 6:04 PM
Mar 2017
Homuras love and loyalty! She bears the weight of everything and people say she's an 'emotionless' character..what? This episode was absolutely beautiful...the dread of the never ending cycle! Absolutely brilliant...
Mar 29, 2017 3:00 AM

Feb 2017
Best episode so far!!

"ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴡᴇʀᴇ sᴇᴇɴ ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴛʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ɪɴsᴀɴᴇ ʙʏ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴏᴛ ʜᴇᴀʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ."

Apr 8, 2017 3:35 PM

Apr 2014
Fantastic episode. Full of despair and no hope, love it.
Homura really became one of the most likable characters, especially after this episode.
Apr 16, 2017 11:41 AM

Dec 2016
This was a very interesting and very depressing episode
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jun 13, 2017 10:04 AM
Mar 2017
I should've seen this plot twist coming when kyouko asks her how does she know a walpurgisnacht is gonna appear in the city.
Jun 16, 2017 7:53 PM

Nov 2011
So long story short, Sayaka should never become a mahou shoujo under any circumstances because she always causes problems. Sayaka = true antagonist confirmed.

For serious though, that was a good backstory episode. Now that I think about it, it was Homura's attacking Kyuubei that led to Sayaka seeing Kyuubei, so it makes sense that it was just Madoka and Mami in the original timeline. It seems like they were a lot more idealistic and ignorant in the earlier timelines. It's kinda sad that Mami in particular completely snapped when she found out the true nature of this setting's mahou shoujo; I was kinda surprised to see Madoka kill Mami too.

Homura isn't capable of defeating Walpurgis Night by herself either, apparently, so even after defeating all of the witches herself in the timeline immediately prior to the current one, Madoka still ended up making a contract... To think she took it down in one hit, though. Witch!Madoka being capable of destroying the earth in ten days puts the series power level just below par with most Precures and the first season of Sailor Moon. Kyuubei's nonchalance about it being "humanity's problem" reveals that his supposed lack of ill intentions toward humanity was also a deception-- he doesn't care what happens to humanity as long as his quota is filled. To think Witch!Madoka let off enough energy upon creation to singlehandedly delay the heat death of the universe, though.

I'm kinda thinking Homura's best bet might have been to make sure Sayaka didn't get involved and just kept everyone in the dark about mahou shoujo. That way they would have had a team of four (herself, Madoka, Mami, and Sakura) to take on Walpurgis Night. Can't say for certain if that would work either though since there might be too many with darkened soul gems even if they won.

Regardless, since it's what we've been shown from the start this will probably be the final timeline. I have a hard time imagining Homura defeating Walpurgis Night on her own, and I don't think anything Homura does will be able to stop Madoka from making a contract when the city has no other hope of being saved. Maybe Homura will kill herself to kill Walpurgis Night (in the manner Sakura killed Witch!Sayaka)? That might be enough to stop Madoka from becoming a mahou shoujo, and it would certainly end the looping...

Alternatively, maybe she could save up enough grief seeds to save both herself and Madoka after killing Walpurgis Night. That would probably be the best outcome in the current timeline.

Looking forward to the finale.
TripleSRankJun 16, 2017 7:58 PM
Jun 17, 2017 1:19 AM

Aug 2015
TripleSRank said:

For serious though, that was a good backstory episode..

The writter said that homura revert time atleast 100x and looking at the calendar in the hospital with each timeline covering 1 month or so, she spent between 8 and 12 years
Sep 20, 2017 6:14 AM

Jun 2016
HOLY SHIT! THIS EPISODE FUCKING CHANGES EVERYTHING! IT'S OFFICIAL. I FUCKING LOVE HOMURA! OHMYGOD. THIS EPISODE FUCKING REDEEMED HER AND I UNDERSTAND WHY'S SHE LIKE THAT. OHMYGOOOOOD! I CAN'T BELIEVE I USED TO DESPISE HER BECAUSE HER BEING A BITCH. OHMYGODDDDDD!

No wonder she loves Madoka so much. Madoka saves her life and no matter what happens with Madoka saving everyone, she'll become a very terrible witch which will destroy earth in just fucking 10 days, and that's how powerful she is. Ohmygod.

Freaking Kyubey! Fucking Kyubey! Fucking Kyubey!

So, Homura can turn back time because of her wish to go back time and stop or prevent Madoka from dying, but as time goes on and it always result to Madoka's death and being a very powerful witch, her motive changes to prevent Kyubey from pursuing Madoka being a magical girl. IT ALL MAKES FUCKING SENSE NOW! OHMYGOD THIS SHOW IS FUCKING GLORIOUS AND BRUTAL AND DEPRESSING!

Just how many times Homura had to turn back time just to save her friends. Fucking Kyubey! Fuck off! FUCK. OFF.

"Oh, well. What happens next is mankind's problem, not ours. We've pretty much met our energy quota at this point."

I'M SO FUCKING ANGRY. OHMYGOD. I'M GONNA REMOVE THAT FUCKING SMILE ON YOUR FACE, YOU SON OF A BITCH! OHMYGOOOOOD! OHMYFUCKINGGOD!

What makes me hate Kyubey more is that no matter how many times Homura killed him, he'll just recover because he's got a lot of fucking spare! I'm so pissed off!

HOMURA-CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

1000000000000000000000/5 for this episode. I'm crying.

P.S. Them playing that OP at the end because it's lively is very useful because that was a very dark episode. *cries in the corner*
P.P.S. I'M FUCKING REWATCHING THIS EPISODE FOR THE 2ND TIME BECAUSE IT'S TOO BRILLIANT FOR ME. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
TheDoggoneGirlSep 20, 2017 6:34 AM

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Sep 20, 2017 2:22 PM

Aug 2015
TheDoggoneGirl said:

P.S. Them playing that OP at the end because it's lively is very useful because that was a very dark episode. *cries in the corner*
P.P.S. I'M FUCKING REWATCHING THIS EPISODE FOR THE 2ND TIME BECAUSE IT'S TOO BRILLIANT FOR ME. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

They are playing the OP because if you read the lyrics is about Homura and her actions to try to save madoka
Sep 21, 2017 2:29 AM

Jun 2016
CT_BINO said:
TheDoggoneGirl said:

They are playing the OP because if you read the lyrics is about Homura and her actions to try to save madoka

Ooooh. I didn't know that. :O Thanks for the info! :)

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 29, 2017 7:25 PM

Oct 2013
Whoaaaaaaa whaaaat?! That's amazing, now I completely get the high regard this anime has, damn! That's one of the best anime eps ever made.
Nov 17, 2017 1:03 PM

Jun 2013
The origin of Homura's motivations and her descent into her current state of mind is tragic, but the other characters were interesting to follow, too. More in the button. Since this is my second watch, there be spoilers ahead.

LeeTailorNov 17, 2017 1:25 PM
Nov 18, 2017 1:49 PM

Aug 2015
LeeTailor said:
And it seems to me like the original Madoka's wish was never revealed. Maybe her wish was just something trivial..[/spoiler]

Madoka´s wish was to save a cat, the same cat you can see in the OP at the end
Nov 22, 2017 7:00 AM

Jul 2016
What a way to introduce the next chapter, this is the best one yet. Now I like Homura a lot more, in fact, she may be my favorite character from the show.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Dec 17, 2017 1:50 PM

May 2013
This episode bumped it up for me for sure. FINALLY! A great episode that tugs at the heartstrings.

Steins;Gate still did it better though. It was a masterpiece throughout.

And idk how the rest of the eps for Mahou Shoujo will be, but I hope it escalates nicely in the end so I can give it a 7. I really liked the timeline where Mami went crazy and was starting to massacre everyone in the Puella Magi gang lulz.

And the friendship bond between Madoka and Homura :') TT^TT

Every time one of Kyubei's bodies gets killed by Homura, I feel satisfaction in it lmfao
Jan 21, 2018 2:59 PM
Nov 2017
Sheeeeeeet. This show is dope. Had it consistently rated an 8 but this last ep bumped it to a 9. I wonder what is next. Will this become a rare masterpiece for me?
Feb 18, 2018 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
i knew it
i knew about her time travelling since the 1st episode, and i wasn't spoiled, it was only my intuition oO so, i'm not surprised
but the show is pretty interesting though
May 6, 2018 10:20 PM
Dec 2017
The part where they started killing each other was so good, I have no words.
May 17, 2018 4:19 PM

Jan 2017
such a great transition from episode 9. this episode opens up really comfy. the entire series so far has been quite tense.
Oct 9, 2018 11:41 AM
Aug 2014
Just gonna pop in here and say that this may be my single favorite episode of anything, ever. Excellent execution (sometimes quite literally).
Oct 17, 2018 3:52 AM

Aug 2017
This episode blown me away.

It explain Homura's motivation without the need to rush an episode like some overrated show from 2016. In the original timeline, Homura have the same personality of Madoka from episodes 1-8. Also, Madoka was a magical girl and have a much more confident personality. So, Madoka and Mami were working together and died at Walpurgisnaght. I like how in the original timeline and the second one, Sayaka is not a magical girl due that this only happened when Homura attaked Kyubey.

It's interesthing that in the third timeline shown, everybody besides Sayaka managed to survive. Sadly, Sayaka still turns into a witch. Also, the episode explain that Homura tells the truth and the rest don't believe her. Mami went mad and kills Kyouko after the death of Sayaka. To avoid Homura's death, Madoka kills Mami. No matter how many times she tries, Mami's and Kyoko's fate is death, Sayaka's fate is becoming a witch, Madoka's either death or powerful witch, and Homura, failure. 

Sad episode. 5/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Nov 28, 2018 9:58 PM
Jul 2018
This is by far the best episode of anything ever. We'll never see this perfection again.
Dec 20, 2018 6:53 PM
Apr 2017
No doubt tragic... Poor little Homura, give her hugs...
Feb 15, 2019 10:35 AM
Apr 2016
Damn, we got a backstory explaining everything...basically that thingy is a Devil trying to deceive Madoka....
Mar 4, 2019 12:25 PM

Sep 2014
this is how you do a backstory episode. I wish more animes would be able to pull off just this one aspect half as well.

It took years for me to find an episode which made me feel just nearly as much as this one did. (A Place Further Than The Universe, you will know which ep I meant once you watched it)
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 30, 2019 1:52 AM
Jun 2017
episode 1-9 homura is villain
episode 10-end. homura a true hero and main character ......
Apr 4, 2019 10:30 AM

Mar 2015
A badly planned and poorly executed episode that certainly helps to explain a little of Homura's bitchy behavior,but at the same time the time loop opens lots of unanswered questions and plot holes and,above all,unnecessarily destroys Mami and Sayaka,transforming Mami into a crazy killer and making Sayaka become a witch despite not being alone and having the support of Madoka and Mami.Worst episode of this overall bad anime.
Apr 13, 2019 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
Rafaga said:
A badly planned and poorly executed episode that certainly helps to explain a little of Homura's bitchy behavior,but at the same time the time loop opens lots of unanswered questions and plot holes and,above all,unnecessarily destroys Mami and Sayaka,transforming Mami into a crazy killer and making Sayaka become a witch despite not being alone and having the support of Madoka and Mami.Worst episode of this overall bad anime.
Care to elaborate?

4/10, made me reply
May 8, 2019 1:14 PM

Dec 2014
major higurashi vibes, though I guess time loops aren't that uncommon in anime

though that also means Tomoe, Sayaka and Kyoko get another chance to stay alive

I also cant help but find Kyubey cute still

and finally we get to see Madoka as a magical girl but we didn't get to see her kill/one shot whatever that monster was
Jul 5, 2019 1:34 PM

Oct 2016
This was a great episode.
Everytime I thought I had finally caught on to what was going on, I was wrong.
Homura's easily the best character now.
Madoka's cry after shooting Mami was really heartbreaking. You can feel her misery, you know.
This is really good so far.

PikslapJul 5, 2019 8:29 PM
Oct 6, 2019 12:28 AM
Oct 2018
Damn I just love plot twists like these. The way all this connected to the first scene of first episode. Just incredible. Excited to see how this ends.
Oct 11, 2019 8:54 AM

Jul 2019
I love this episode. Also more and more in love with Homura <3

Now i see for sure how this f...Kyubey is just evil af!
Nov 19, 2019 12:18 AM

Aug 2018
This episode was good at first, but then it becomes bad at the end dam how dumb can she be my God Madoka sure is stupid/dumb as A Bitch and even the time. Loop bitch is dumb too
Dec 9, 2019 8:39 PM
Jan 2017
At first I really disliked Homura, but seeing her friends die a thousand times leaves sequels for sure. It really blew my mind, I didn´t expected it at all.
Jan 16, 2020 4:53 PM

May 2011
*sobbing for all eternity* T.T

So what was really said here was that Homura is essentially the depiction of a christ-figure who sacrifices themselves for all of mankind, via one girl, because that one girl, her best friend will become the demise of mankind.
Feb 3, 2020 11:51 PM

Jul 2016
I was able to see Mami again as well as Madoka being a cool Mahou Shoujo but at what fucking cost!? Seriously, the scene with Mami losing it and killing Kyouko just to later be executed by Madoka left me speechless. Oh my God, I wasn't ready for this!

Simply amazing. I don't remember the last time I got so engaged with an episode only focused on the backstory of one character. So much tragedy and madness for everyone but especially for my poor Homura-chan. Such a tragic character indeed.

Okay so now with just Homura being the only one left to fight against Walpurgis and considering two of the timelines' outcomes: either Madoka becomes a Mahou Shoujo, fight alongside her but both of them still fail or Madoka ends up winning but inevitably becomes an even more powerful witch in the end. Either way, Homura is fucked so I wonder what will happen this time. So far, I can just think of Madoka making a wish that might prevent all this mess but we'll see.

Again, excellent and perfectly executed episode.

P.S.: That's it, Aoi Yuuki will become the first seiyuu I add to my favorites list. Seriously, hearing Madoka crying after killing Mami was truly heartbreaking.
SouthRzVaFeb 3, 2020 11:55 PM
Mar 29, 2020 8:47 AM

Dec 2019
Really good episode, explained everything going on until now, my opinion on Madoka has changed along with my opinion on this anime, 8/10 so far let's see what happens next.
-nv-Mar 29, 2020 9:52 AM
                                                         🖤   

Apr 23, 2020 6:18 AM

May 2016
Now we know why Homura and her reasons for saving Madoka....she is forever stuck in a time loop and feels like 23-44 somehow.

I really didn't like Madoka before, but this episode made her 10x more likeable. Homura's still badass and Mami went a bit insane.
May 1, 2020 3:25 PM
Feb 2016
Glad to see that this whole show has come full circle. The plot is a bit late,but it's better than nothing I suppose. Not a fan of the whole timeloop thing,the last show which did it pretty well was higurashi,but that is an outlier in that specific genre. The only way I see this ending is madoka wishing the whole magic word and multiple universes away and living her life like a normal girl,which is a bit of a cop out if you ask me. Let's see how this goes
May 21, 2020 1:22 PM
Jul 2018
this is depressing

great episode
Jun 19, 2020 10:45 PM
Jun 2017
Which each episode my love for Kyubey grows more and more. It's quite a machiavellian plan to harvest an endless supply of energy. It is dishonest, that's given, but nevertheless he hasn't ceases to amaze me since his identity was revealed.
Oct 16, 2020 10:20 AM
Aug 2020
Well, i don't get why all the previous times Madoka was so weak, that she couldn't kill the witch even with her team, but the last attempt was different and she could one-shot her? Is that because her emotions were much stronger? But she didn't even cry, like all the time before.
Pages (15) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1541 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 3, 2011

380 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 10:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.