Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion

Sep 9, 2014 4:07 PM
555|Kabuto|Ryuki

"I promise.I'll save you,no matter what.No matter how many times I have to try,I swear I will protect you!"

Homura repeated time to save Madoka,that's not a surprise.

Yuri undertones as strong as ever this episode.

Sep 15, 2014 4:25 PM
holy shit... This plot twist :l
Homura has always been my favorite character, i knew thered be an explanation to her cold personality, and there its.

Sep 19, 2014 12:00 PM

I hope it's okay to ask this here, but I once saw a video (on Youtube probably) that showed Homura's first introduction to the class from this episode and the equivalent scene from episode 1, running them in split-screen parallel all the way up to the conversation in that floating walkway, and they matched second for second. Does anybody have a link to that? I'd love to find it.
"Burn this sight into your minds. This is what it means to be a magical girl."

Sep 25, 2014 3:57 AM

smh my friend told me this is the episode where he sobbed buckets, harder than almost anything else he's ever watched, but I haven't the foggiest clue how. This was an awesome plot twist and a pretty epic episode, but what about it was sobworthy? I like Homura even more now, though.

This is shaping up to be a 7.5/10 series, probably. Curious how the ending will go.

Oh and yeah, I got major Steins;Gate deja vu during this episode, too. And Steins;Gate gave me major Endless Eight deja vu.

Sep 27, 2014 4:00 PM

Wow this series kicks so much ass. Excellent episode, <3 Homura.

Oct 2, 2014 11:02 AM

Oct 5, 2014 11:47 AM

Wow Homura is an amazing character

Oct 28, 2014 4:28 PM

Now it's explained,
But... where is the Homura of the current timeline?

Dec 27, 2014 11:54 AM

Its the same world being repeated over and over again by Homura so that she could save Madoka...wow
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 31, 2014 11:43 AM

Now this episode explains quite a lot.
Poor Homura!

Also I did not know it was that easy to learn how to make a bomb.

Jan 6, 2015 4:11 AM

now that i've rewatched this series... couldn't homura just save an extra grief seed & give it to madoka at the end of walpurgusnacht?... i guess she didn't think of that...
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.

Jan 6, 2015 4:35 AM
Episode that totally made people start overrating Homura as a character, and that she is anything more than Madoka's stalker.

Bitch please.

This episode didn't change my mind about her being obsessive bitch at all.

Jan 7, 2015 3:10 PM

...No Point in saving Mami...she died fighting a so call boss ( without sayaka and Kyouko)...If Recruited 2 more members...Sayaka became a monster Mami would end up killing the team and died anyway...Sayaka is too stubborn to listen to reasons...Kyouko did Nothing wrong!!!...even if saved Madoka...she's to weak that her soul Gem Became Corrupt and the end of The world... that's all...
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...

Jan 8, 2015 1:15 PM

I saw this video on the Episode 1 and 10 parallels ages ago, and have only just rediscovered it. Seems too good not to share: http://youtu.be/WoXzzW232oQ

Jan 13, 2015 12:34 AM

best backstory episode of all :D

Feb 10, 2015 3:25 PM

Didn't know what was happening to begin with but wow this was a great episode, explains quite a lot and maybe Homura isn't so cold hearted after all :3

Feb 14, 2015 7:57 PM

WTF DID I JUST WITNESS!!!!11111!!?? MY MIND IS F*CKED!!!! IT WAS ALL PART OF AIZEN'S PLAN!

Feb 19, 2015 7:15 PM

It's crazy how 1 episode can change your perspective of a show so much, I first thought the story was so-so but man this episode changed it all.

Mar 3, 2015 3:20 PM

Wow... this episode was soo good... It explains A LOT. I feel bad for misjudging Homaru.

Mar 12, 2015 1:35 PM

That is some fucked up shit right there Qyubey or however you spell it is an asshole
I was wondering when Madoka will be a magical girl so she was a magical girl afterall

Mar 16, 2015 10:29 PM

That was pretty hard for Homura. Going back to the time over and over again... :/
Dat cute yet evil and sadistic Kyubey. -.-

Mar 16, 2015 10:29 PM

Elite60 said:
"Endless Eight" deju vu! Homura changed quite a bit through all those iterations to end up the way she is now.

Lol this.

Mar 27, 2015 8:07 AM

I loved this episode—far more than the others. It might as well be an all-round favorite.

Time travel is an old plot device and I had a hunch it’d turn out to be like this but, gosh. For some reason I found it to be really… tender. It forced Homura to change; to throw away part of her humanity. Go through the same things over and over with no way out, hoping that there’s a gap, a clearing in which Madoka can be saved, and trying to find it until the end of the world. The end in every world, in each time plane. Oh, Homura…

The opening theme taking place at the end was a nice touch. It ends on a brighter note—a hopeful outlook on all the somber circumstances. Thinking it over, it could also be more Homura and her evolution than about Madoka, as it implies.

How will this all end?
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.

Apr 12, 2015 11:46 AM

Holy fuck I feel bad for Homura
Hi there

Apr 30, 2015 2:05 PM

iAmZiro said:
It's crazy how 1 episode can change your perspective of a show so much, I first thought the story was so-so but man this episode changed it all.

^^^^ Amazing episode, talk about intense!

May 17, 2015 9:56 AM
Now I know where the movie Edge of Tomorrow got his inspiration!
Modified by jirico, May 17, 2015 10:13 AM

Jul 1, 2015 10:51 PM

There is a thought what Homura-chan would've done to alternate everything in the best way if she managed to get to the 6 timeline.
1. Approach Sayuka and Madoka before kyubey and Mami-san and explain them all the truth about Mahou Shoujo, that Kyubey will approach them in the near future with a "favorable" offer which will seem favorable, but in reality it will consume your soul, leaving you with nothing but despair and then will leave you to die thereafter.
2. Now that Sayuka and Madoka are not willing to fight anymore. Homura should help Mami-san(since she is the only strongest Mahou shoujo, apart from Madoka she knows and she is essential for their battle with Walpurgis Night) so that she doesn't die in her battle against Charlotte (episode 3) just like she died in 4 and 5 timeline.
3. Now that Mami-san is alive for a final battle, they have a fair chance of defeating Walpurgis Night without Madoka having to interfere, since after all those timelines Homura-chan became one of the strongest Mahou shoujo and Mami-san was strong all the time, plus if Kyouka manages to join them, they will for sure have no trouble of defeating the Witch, after all Homura-chan was sure in the 5 timeline that with the help of just Kyouka they could manage to defeat the Witch, which she couldn't have done alone. And even without Kyouka, Mami-san and Homura-chan are more than enough to take her down.
4. In the end even if someone dies as a hero in a battle against the witch and other who remains victorious will become the next witch itself, it is still better for Homura-chan since her whole reason of going back in time was to save Madoka from becoming a Magical girl and thus destroying her life.

Conclusion. Sayuka Madoka Kyouka =Alive
Mami-san Dead
Homura-chan new witch.

Jul 5, 2015 8:55 PM

This episode is a textbook example of what a great mystery series can build up to and how it can bring its viewers to completely overhaul many of their opinions, speculations, and expectations concerning the show's depicted moral values, ethic conflicts, and existential purposes.
Modified by ShiroiKamui, Jul 5, 2015 8:58 PM

Jul 18, 2015 2:41 AM

Ooh, I got that Steins;Gate feeling immediately, after seeing a "different" Homura and Madoka. Thank goodness, because I had just about given up on this series up until this point.

Really liked that OST towards the end, before the Kalafina insert.

Jul 23, 2015 9:32 PM

Neat! Probably my favorite episode so far! It's about time we got the Homura backstory!! No pun intended, hehe. :P

Amazing! ✿ 5/5

Aug 15, 2015 9:49 AM

Wow, that episode was pure art. Homura's trying so hard to save Madoka yet she kept failing over and over again. My opinion completely changed on her, she's now one of my favorite characters.

Aug 23, 2015 11:08 AM
I love this episode because it basically does Steins;Gate as good as Steins;Gate.

Aug 23, 2015 11:26 AM

PolarKoala said:
I love this episode because it basically does Steins;Gate as good as Steins;Gate.

I watched this anime immediately after Steins;Gate and thought the same - but this does in one episode what S;G took half a series to do, which is what makes it incredible, I think. (Mind you, I liked the S;G take too.)

Aug 27, 2015 9:23 PM

holy shit...Homura...
all is revealed.
I now see that the lyrics to the opening reflect the hell that Homura goes through.
rewatched episode 1 right after this...and Homura's reactions to Madoka are really crushing..
amazing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 27, 2015 9:24 PM

steepholm said:
PolarKoala said:

I watched this anime immediately after Steins;Gate and thought the same - but this does in one episode what S;G took half a series to do, which is what makes it incredible, I think. (Mind you, I liked the S;G take too.)

yup, definitely got Steins Gate vibes.

Sep 9, 2015 10:13 PM
Forum Moderator
Best episode so far

Sep 10, 2015 12:16 AM

Everything makes so damn sense! I was tired of watching Madoka not becoming a magical girl...and I also wondered why Homura-san's like this...and this explains everything.

You just can't help loving this plot twist.

Finally. The vision from the beginning, and everything else...it all makes sense. I'm glad it does.

Sep 18, 2015 12:09 PM

Not sure if it was worth doing a full episode on a plot twist that was obvious since episode 1 or 2.

Also, more tear gas/onions :p

I hope Kyube explodes from energy overload like Yukon

Sep 23, 2015 2:39 PM

Best episode so far, maybe the best episode in the entire series or the most gracefully executed plot twist ever.

Sep 25, 2015 12:38 PM

What the actual fuck. My mind got blown away by this episode.

Homura IS a time traveler that keeps coming back. But it seems this is the last time she will be able to do it.

OMG the friendship between Madoka and Homura...

Also this is why Mahou Shoujo Madoka is not in this anime till episode 10... because Homura changed the storyline lol. OMG I'm so blown away by this anime.

Also Kyouko's fate didn't quite changed, Mami become kind of crazy bitch killing Kyouko, and Sayaka still fall for despair. Nothing is able to change huh? Damn it.

Oct 21, 2015 1:07 PM
Yohimo_asakura said:
It's very similar to SG, but a bit more dramatic. Really love this episode... That's what's happening when you sell your soul to the devil for "happiness".

I've thought about the same thing .

This episode hits me right "int the feels" .

Nov 12, 2015 5:00 AM

Now it all makes sense...and that damn Kyubey.

Dec 2, 2015 7:02 AM

Wow, best episode so far! 5/5

Dec 28, 2015 12:09 PM

Every once in a while, patience pays off. Pretty good episode.

megane homura is a cutie pie

Dec 29, 2015 7:46 AM

Fantastic episode. Homura's transformation over time was great.

Jan 21, 2016 11:35 AM

Kind of a rushed episode, IMO. I didn't think anything about the backstory, I was just meh on it. I've seen better time travel stories than this.

While it provides a reason for Homura's behavior, it doesn't justify her threatening to kill someone.

At least the battle against the school uniform witch was pretty funny.

2/5

Jan 22, 2016 6:17 PM

Best Episode yet , it has similarities to Steins Gate lol .
Kyubei evil intentions confirmed .
Loved it .

Feb 9, 2016 5:11 PM

omgood this is the greatest episode ever. These girls are soo strong! Madoka's face full of despair, yet she pushes through the pain to do her duty. That facial expression immediately gives rise to the feeling to protect her with my life, and never let her feel pain again.
And Homura's voice when she had to shoot Madoka, my heart floods.

Mar 5, 2016 10:10 AM

Called this
after just seeing Homura appear with a different look and Madoka being a magical girl.

Lmao she just robbed some mobsters.
Damn so ... she's stuck in an infinite loop because she's trying to save Madoka from destroying the world.

I actually feel for the characters, especially Homura after this episode.

This was a great backstory on how the first 9 episodes came to be or the reason why we havent seen Madoka be a magical girl (even though she's the title of the show)

Definitely upped my score for the show.
bizarf said:
Fantastic episode. Homura's transformation over time was great.

Agreed :)
Zarnaav said:
Yohimo_asakura said:
It's very similar to SG, but a bit more dramatic. Really love this episode... That's what's happening when you sell your soul to the devil for "happiness".

I've thought about the same thing .

This episode hits me right "int the feels" .

Steins;Gate hit me way harder ... maybe because this is about magical girls or just the entire vibe of the show I'm getting.
It definitely had an impact on me.

Mar 18, 2016 11:48 PM

I kinda had an idea this was where Homura's backstory was heading, but wow that execution was phenomenal! There's so much cheesy time travel out there, this one was perfect in its exposition, and its brutality.

I loved seeing the evolution (or devolution) of Homura's character as she found herself watching Madoka die/turn. Each time tragic, each time weighing heavily until she becomes her hardened self in this current cycle.

I love to put myself in the character's situation and ask myself how I would react to their struggle, and honestly? If I had to watch someone trick the person I loved, and ultimately cost them their lives, and far worse? I'd absolutely end up like Homura.

Ugh and the Kyubey had the balls to say "well, we've got all the power we needed. That witch I just created, ya know, the most powerful one in existence? That's humanity's problem now" Ughhhhhhh. Infuriating.

Masterful episode imo.

Pages (13) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 »