Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2011 11:46 PM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow. This is probably the best movie-based-on-a-TV-series that I watched since End of Evangelion (well, Beautiful Dreamer came out first, but you get the idea)

Usually, these kinds of movies don't feature a spectacular plot and heavily rely on characters' charm to provide entertainment, which makes watching the TV series a must to fully appreciate it. But as a stand-alone work, this movie succeeded in making itself accessible to those unfamiliar with the TV series with featuring some character development, a good script and lots of artistry (some scenes were surreal and haunting and a testament to Oshii's talent)

Oshii was quite creative, artistic and ambitious during his early years in the industry; too bad that his talent deteriorated as he had gotten older and hasn't produced anything of interest since the first Ghost in the Shell movie (this last sentence is subjective, BTW)
removed-userAug 8, 2012 7:24 PM
Nov 7, 2012 5:54 AM

May 2010
^ Agree and my reaction to the movie:
Nov 26, 2012 1:35 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I was speechless after finishing watching this film. What a deeply original, beautiful and haunting piece. The theme of dreams, reality and perception are all looked at and developed with the insane cast of Urusei Yatsura. It's almost as if Oshii took an idea he had and used in the setting of UR. I'd love to know if Rumiko Takahashi had written this story previously in her manga?

Oh, and now I know where they got the inspiration for Endless Eight in Haruhi Suzumiya.

Loved the art and the imagery too. 10 out of 10 from me.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 8, 2012 6:26 AM

Feb 2008
Man, this was awesome.
Dec 29, 2014 9:53 AM

Jun 2010
Maybe because I kept hearing it talked up as some offbeat masterpiece, but I wasn't too impressed with the film. It's full of neat dreamlike imagery, but I don't think that really adds up to anything as I'm not impressed by the whole "what is reality?" angle; it's mere idle rumination that dead-ends in a fantasy mystery story anyway. The most interesting part was the (brief) exploration of Ataru's character at the end.

It's not even true that this is a daring, creative departure from the expected content of something with "Urusei Yatsura" on the tin; there were plenty of very weird episodes of the TV series up to this point. Episode 78 was just as weird as this film but benefited from being a coherent exploration of one character's mentality.
Feb 19, 2015 2:23 PM

Oct 2013

Well that's something different from the traditional maid cafés we get in Anime nowadays.
Apr 11, 2015 5:52 PM

Apr 2012
It's really quite perfect. Great direction, damn entertaining and just plain inspired.
May 31, 2015 12:21 AM

May 2012
Beautiful dreamer is a beautiful movie. A real gem and an unexpected, amazing experience.
Jun 19, 2015 11:16 PM

Jun 2010
oscar8784 said:
Oshii and Rumiko are fucking genius

I thought Takahashi was unhappy with the directions Oshii took his adaptation in and is why he left the series after this movie.
Sep 13, 2016 11:58 AM

Apr 2012
Suna_Kujira said:
Beautiful dreamer is a beautiful movie. A real gem and an unexpected, amazing experience.

This sums up my thoughts exactly. What wonderful unexpected gem this is.
Oct 2, 2016 1:36 PM
Oct 2016
Definetely one of the best movies I have ever seen(not only anime, but whole movie industry). Left me in thoughts for a couple of days. Masterpiece.
Dec 30, 2016 7:39 PM
Mar 2016
Beautiful movie
I have generally liked a lot the weird, stream of consciousness-like episodes up to this point but wow! This the actual first time I wished I was around back then to watch this on the big screen.
Jan 28, 2017 6:50 PM

May 2012
Even though I hoped that all the movies were going to be as good as the first one, sadly that isn't the case here.

While in general it was still a pretty good movie, it lacked quite a bit and I lost interest from time to time while watching this movie.

All in all a good movie though, I did loved that ending a lot!

Let's see what the next movie has to offer!
RafaelDeJonghJan 28, 2017 6:56 PM
Mar 25, 2017 2:23 PM

Dec 2014
This movie is great.
No matter how many times I watched it, I will always love it.
Dec 1, 2017 4:34 PM

Jun 2014
I had to drop this around halfway through, because I just couldn't take it anymore.

This is among one of the worst things I've ever seen. It's just as bad as the Urusei Yatsura TV series.

Dec 8, 2017 7:09 PM

Jan 2014
One of the best anime movies.
Oshii decides to abandon the typical mood of the series, and instead of celebrating Urusei Yatsura's world, he analyzes it.
The monologues and philosophical reflections are the same that will characterize his others films.
Mar 4, 2018 6:21 PM

Apr 2015
This movie was...out there. But I think I liked it?

I was told that I could watch this without knowing anything about Urusei Yatsura except the two main characters, but I started looking up some of the other characters so I could understand why they were acting/parts of the story that I guess you were assumed to know.

I liked the dream demon, but good Lord, his mouth flaps in the English dub were horrific. The dub is just poor overall when it comes to mouth flaps. And for some reason, all the swearing from the subtitles was censored/watered down?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 23, 2018 11:22 PM

Jun 2007
So glad I gave this a chance. It wasn't quite on Patlabor 2's level as far suspense and overarching narrative/depth goes but it amazed me how cohesive yet dream-like it was. Paced almost to perfection, with very little confusion for those largely unfamiliar with UY like me, and it had some amazing sequences--like the cicada part where the camera rotated and it felt so eerie. And the wind chime part with Shinobu.

There was some trademark Oshii existential waffling/turtle theme forcing, but still: it's hard to believe just how good this was when it was only a yearly mainstream cash-in movie, essentially; a Naruto movie of its time. And that end credits theme is fantastic--pure 80's wit perfect AtaruxLum lyrics.

Not so sure about the random Hitler reference/explanation, mind. Bet Takahashi wasn't best pleased with that!

Fronzel said:
oscar8784 said:
Oshii and Rumiko are fucking genius

I thought Takahashi was unhappy with the directions Oshii took his adaptation in and is why he left the series after this movie.

http://eigageijutsu.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/interview-with-mamoru-oshii-on-urusei.html

This interview with Oshii - which was actually a commentary track on the Blu-ray I recently purchased - is what made me want to watch UY2, despite the first 4 eps of the TV series making me drop that. One of the most insightful and interesting anime-related interviews. Takahashi was definitely not happy with Oshii making HIS own film in the universe she created, that's for sure.
AironicallyHumanMar 23, 2018 11:53 PM
Dec 30, 2018 7:34 AM

Aug 2017
Definitely better than the tv show which was close to unwatchable. The character hijinks are less annoying. Seemed Like a mashup between Paprika and Paranoia Agent. Most shots are comparable to and easily count as predecessor to angel's egg. Not as good as GITS or Patlabor 2 though.
Feb 7, 2019 1:17 AM
Oct 2018
Really impressive, beautiful film; especially for a spin-off film from a popular tv series (usually churned-out cash-grabs, with about as much thought put in as t-shirts or merch), and especially for the early 80s (when, lets face it- general standards weren't really that high, not til another half-decade later at least.)

Actually, I don't think I've seen any other tv series-based film with this much of an (well-executed) imaginative, epic scope, and strong base idea.

Also the music was amazing. And that lazy, summer-y, post-apocalyptic-vacation opening sequence was god-damned incredible.
May 31, 2019 1:55 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty good movie, loved the concept of them stuck in time and everything turning out to be a dreamworld.
The first half of the movie felt a bit boring in my opinion but once they were discovering it was a dream world it got somewhat exciting for me.

We were so close to a kiss scene.

Jun 28, 2019 11:12 PM

Aug 2015
Going in, I was expecting Groundhog Day, with a lot of repetition of the same scene and dialogue that would give them a chance to recycle animation. However props to Oshii for not going down that road. Despite pioneering the "Groundhog Day" repetition story, it's not repetitive at all and is much better than later versions of the "Groundhog Day" story that repeat the same scene two or three times like an episode of Star Trek TNG, an episode of Xena, Groundhog Day- Endless Eights being the absolute worst

Some really nice cuts of animation here, like Shinobu's wind chime alley, the creepy band, the molecules.

At first I thought I was seeing a manju, but no, it was a swastika and the dubious Nazi Germany otakuism strikes again

Also, SAKURA IS BEST GIRL
glassknucklesJun 28, 2019 11:18 PM
Aug 3, 2020 5:37 AM

Jun 2015
the funny alien movie was pretty good yes yes yes

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Sep 23, 2020 12:58 AM
Oct 2018
I just started rewatching this, for the 3rd or 4th time (It's become one of my favourite movies) and something dawned on me...

Are the opening scenes of Evangelion, a reference/homage(/rip-off... jk) to the opening scenes of Beautiful Dreamer?

Both start with the same kind of slow pan across summery, beach-side scenery, both are much more 'cinematic' than most anime openings, both have (admittedly, like a zillion other anime openings) crickets chirping to give that feeling of peacefull, lazy summer day. And then both go on to reveal tanks, and other military equipment, to contrast with the initial summery, beachy, vibe. (Although, they each go off in very different directions, by the end of the opening scene).

idk if both shows were just using similar cliches, or if Anno was consciously referencing UY2, but IMO the first, opening scenes of both Eva and UY2 have
Feb 6, 2021 11:19 AM

May 2010
Very fun movie. Glad I got around to watching this (my current username which I chose over a decade ago was based on this series after all). I loved the references to the turtle and the dragon palace mythology too.

I gave this a solid 7/10, which to me means “good”. Definitely was close to an 8 though.
YatsuraFeb 6, 2021 5:59 PM
Feb 24, 2021 7:31 AM

Jun 2017
On the one hand, I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of this works influence in media I love (was this the first major Groundhogs day style story in anime?). The middle parts especially reminded me of Cross Channel, but it's hard to know whether that's just both of them drawing upon similar cliches or if this was an inspiration there.

The second half especially bored me. It probably didn't help that I don't like the character of Ataru (I actually prefer the half-joke bbc dub version of him better). But this definitely falls into the category of Oshii's work that I don't enjoy (I found Gits boring too). I enjoy his rambling monologues, but not when his thought overtakes and dominates the movie. Patlabor (the ova at least), Gosenzo-sama, and so far Vlad Love are a lot more entertaining for my buck. Of course this movie had it's humour, but it being a Rumiko adaptation... I'm pretty sure I just hate that woman's style, as impactful as she no doubt is.
Apr 9, 2021 11:23 AM

Jan 2018
underrated movie

This was one of the factors that led me to give Urusei Yatsura a shot which in turn made me watch lots of retro anime I otherwise wouldn't have watched. I remember seeing a clip on YouTube that immediately grabbed my attention. The clip in question:
So of course, this movie has a special place in my heart.

Rewatching it almost felt like a different experience. But I think I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed watching it the first time around. But this time I appreciated it more because I could pick up on the hints and the not-so-subtle-now foreshadowing.

The animation, the atmosphere, the music, the voice acting (not unless you were watching dub), etc. were excellent.

From what I've heard, this movie had a mixed reception when it came out and it was one of the contributing factors which made Oshii quit as the series director. I can see some of the reasons why some fans might not like it. One of them is that Ataru and Lum are barely in the movie. The main character roles had been seemingly transferred over to Sakura at least until the last 30 minutes of the movie. I love Sakura and Sakura-focused episodes like episode 102 were some of my favorites so I had no qualms about that. Also, it's not rare for the series to take focus away from the duo to focus more on different side characters.
But Ataru and Lum not having major roles at the start of the movie makes this movie *not* newcomer-friendly IMO.

One common criticism of the movie that I still don't understand is that it changes the characters of Urusei Yatsura too much. But even in the main series, the characters weren't always consistent. Besides, the story of this movie isn't based on any pre-existing source material anyway. It's completely original. If it changed any manga story then I would understand but that's not the case. So it's not different than some of the filler episodes of the series which also did the same thing. Even if you don't like this movie, it doesn't impact the main series in any way. It's self-contained.

One thing that does stick out in the movie is the lack of Lum's alien friends. But having more alien characters in the movie besides Lum wouldn't work with the themes of the movie. Keeping the focus solely on human characters was an interesting move. Considering the last movie had way too many characters for its own good, I welcome this compromise. Albeit some characters ended up getting sidelined anyway, most notably Ryuu-chan.

Although the movie wasn't well-loved when it premiered, I think it deserves the cult classic status it built up over time. It might not be my favorite Urusei Yatsura movie anymore but it's a lot better than the next two at the very least.

I love the author Rumiko Takahashi. She might've hated this movie but that doesn't mean I have to hate it with her. Stephen King hated The Shining movie but that doesn't make it any less of a classic. Same law applies here, maybe more so in the case of Beautiful Dreamer as it's an original story rather than a direct adaptation.
0451Jan 23, 2023 12:00 PM
May 16, 2022 8:20 PM

May 2019
Overrated movie. Especially after reading the commentary of the movie production with Oshii. I found it disgusting. That sexist prick really pushing his whole masculinity viewpoints especially with those tanks. He totally ruined the entire characterisation of the cast.
VivaceRexMay 25, 2022 10:06 AM

Jan 23, 2023 5:04 AM

Jan 2018
VivaceRex said:
Overrated movie. Especially after reading the commentary of the movie production with Oshii. I found it disgusting. That sexist prick really pushing his whole masculinity viewpoints especially with those tanks. He totally ruined the entire characterisation of the cast.
can you elaborate on how this movie ruined the characterization of the cast
Jan 23, 2023 7:09 AM

May 2019
0451 said:
VivaceRex said:
can you elaborate on how this movie ruined the characterization of the cast
Very heavy involvement military stuff especially tanks in that movie. He views tanks in there as a desire to have a bigger genitalia BS. How Lum was treated merely as an object of desire to the men besides her I love her as a character because of her uninhibited nature and now he stated that she only wear uniform in a way to inhibit her as he doesn't know how to handle the writing of her character. in one scene, Lum even stated she wants to stay friends with Megane and co with is just very wrong. I guess he just throw out her alien friends out of the window. Its entire movie is heavy-handed with masculinity bs that is very opposite to the core of Rumiko's UY.

I just hate Oshii in general so the movie itself is just meh even if his creative direction is good. Just read the whole interview about the movie production.
link

Mar 4, 2023 5:11 PM
Mar 2023
Perfection Oshi is a legend
Mar 13, 2023 5:23 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
To start off, what a phenomenal movie, a personal 10/10, I liked it more than the first one for different reasons which I’ll get into, but man this was so good. Absolutely beautiful art and animation, amazing ost and the plot was very intriguing. The first movie had these things too but I think this one was slightly better in that department. The way I see it is that these first two movies are representative of the two main types of Urusei Yatsura episodes, the first one being more traditional with more focus on the comedy and definitely leaned more in the sci-fi direction, while this one is on the more trippy side of things with a touch of horror and almost seems like a fever dream (see what I did there) and that’s one of the reasons I liked this one more, out of the 99 episodes I’ve seen of the original show I’ve found myself really enjoying the weird episodes and when you take one of those and make it movie length with a bigger budget I was bound to love this.

Of course this movie has plenty of comedy as well because it’s Urusei Yatsura but when it comes to the plot it resembled the trippy episodes of the show, one in particular comes to mind which is the one where Ataru’s mom kept looping through dreams similarly to what happens in this movie, even with a reoccurring character appearing often, which is a favorite episode of mine as well lol. I also loved the philosophical stuff sprinkled in, I didn’t find it hard to understand either which helps, but it definitely helped enhance the experience imo. And there were so many memorable moments, the scenes where weird shit first started happening were really cool, as well as when they split up to search the school, so much cool stuff in there, and I absolutely loved the reveal of the city being on the turtle’s back paired with the music. The last sequence of dreams Ataru experienced followed by him finally waking up were very good as well, it was goofy in classic Urusei Yatsura fashion but also maintained the seriousness until the end. I also like how similarly to the first movie we see Ataru being more serious about Lum romantically, something you don’t see often in the series but it’s nice to have bursts of it in these movies.

Also the amount of references to Nazis was interesting to see, I mean they were doing a Third Reich Coffee Shop for the cultural festival lol, and there was the reference to Hitler near the end as well as Mendou using a Leopard tank through most of the movie, I don’t get offended by this stuff myself and mainly found it interesting, Mendou’s private army has always referenced Nazis in the series as well to add onto that. I’d go on further but this post is massive enough already and this movie had me feeling like I finished a heater of a “The Other One” by the Grateful Dead lol. As a final note, damn that credits song was very good, one of my favorite Urusei Yatsura songs so far, it sounded very 80s and was such a jam, and I loved the last shot of the school before it ended.
TheColonel76Mar 13, 2023 5:36 PM
Dec 2, 2023 9:10 PM

Jun 2023
As a movie? 10/10.

As an Urusei Yatsura movie? I...really don't know.

I think that Takahashi was ultimately correct in her assessment of this film. It's very obvious to me that at this point, Oshii is completely disinterested in adapting her manga. He has his own style, themes, and artistic voice he wants to explore. There's nothing wrong with that necessarily, but I do think it's for the good of both Oshii and Urusei Yatsura that they'll be parting ways soon, because I think that UY is holding Oshii back, and Oshii is holding UY back. Both are very different things, and there's equal value in both of them.

More topics from this board

» Do I have to watch the series to understand this movie?

ReverseZero - Oct 27, 2017

10 by alexrawk »»
Oct 24, 2023 2:26 AM

» Which came first...?

madphil_69 - Apr 29, 2013

1 by Fronzel »»
Dec 27, 2014 5:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.