Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Sep 26, 2012 3:28 PM

Apr 2010
I was extremely disappointed with this movie ):
I appreciated that they did come to a complete end with the triangle, but I wish that they could've done something different with it. With almost all of the Macross franchise the girl who ends up winning is usually the more mature one. While the cute girls are always losing. For once I would like a change.
Never ignore a person who loves you, cares for you, and misses you. Because one day, you might wake up from your sleep and realize that you lost the moon while counting the stars.
Nov 18, 2012 12:49 PM

May 2010
No idea what happened, but the concerts were cool and they came to an conclusion. That's all it matters
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 10, 2012 11:30 AM

Oct 2008
I put off the two films for years because I was afraid of seeing Ranka hurt.
She's my favorite character, and while I don't exactly think Ranka with Alto is a good match, I wanted her to be happy.
After finishing this film, though, I can see that she is and does not need love to be so.
Honestly, that's good enough for me. She can find a better guy someday.

P.S. The movie actually made me not hate Sheryl. Wow is all I can say to that.
Dec 13, 2012 9:39 PM
Oct 2010
I must admit, beside the extra amounts of fanservice, I really enjoyed this and I hated the singing in the first except the battle song which fit pretty well, as it did in this movie. I actually prefer the altered storyline though, although what I didn't like was the lack of character development for the supporting cast (due to being a movie obviously but whatever.. the klan scene seems weird since the only indication of her being with mikhail was that one beach scene) and the lack of development for the villains.

In general the relationships/romances with the rest of the cast were pretty much cut out, understandable but it made some scenes have less impact than they should. Despite my small complaints I preferred this to the original anime mainly because of the change in story. The ending was alrite, not quite the happy ending I was expecting which made it better for me but I can see some people having issues with it.
Jan 14, 2013 2:04 PM

Oct 2010
As a huge fan of Macross series, this move was a bit disappointment. While I'm glad that Klan won't be sad, the death of Brera and disappearance of Alto left the bad taste in my mouth. But at least, the triangle is resolved. The Super Dimension Fortress and Plus are still my favorites, even though I really love Sheryl and her songs.

I certainly hope that next Macross brings even better cast and that girl in triangle is a pilot. ^^
Feb 13, 2013 5:42 AM

Nov 2008
The Macross girls I like never end up with the main characters -_-

Minmay, Mylene, Mao and now Ranka were left with broken hearts.
Feb 16, 2013 1:13 AM

Jul 2008
Well at least there was resolution with this one, but i hated how the bad guys changed every 5 minutes.

So what is this about an alto/Sheryl wedding, was there an OVA I missed?
Apr 28, 2013 8:48 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
So at the end it was Alto x Vajra Queen.

LOL.

Actually, I like how they handled the Vajra this time around. Makes more sense than the TV series. Of course, forget about all these Heel Face Turn out of nowhere.

Oh well.
wakka9caApr 28, 2013 8:51 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 17, 2013 4:49 PM

Aug 2010
So is this an alternate universe or something? I thought mikhael was supposed to be dead.

Anyhow the ending was very unsatisfying.
Jul 28, 2013 9:13 PM

Mar 2012
Eh, I don't know...that was probably the most forced love triangle resolution I've seen any writer put into an anime...that was so half-assed they may as well have just left it open like in the TV series, it practically screamed that they were just bowing to fan reaction about not closing out the romance...even if they claimed they wanted to originally end the romance triangle. They couldn't even let him finish his sentence either and it was so cheesy he just happens to stop in the nick of time to tell them both his feelings...as far as story goes the movie series was 3 steps above what they did with tv series, but as far as romance, a forced ending like that really sucks...however I'm still modest about it all...I think a 9/10 is fitting, on to my next adventure

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Aug 6, 2013 3:10 PM

Oct 2011
It's the same as the first movie: it is a great movie but the story is better in the TV series. There were many changes (and even complete and major role changes between Ranka and Sheryl), especially how Grace wasn't a complete antagonist. She had an evil role but still had feelings for Sheryl (not like in the TV series) and it was nice to see how Mishima got his well deserved headshot. xD

I must say I only watched the movies to see the outcome of the triangle (which I also read about in the thread that featured the movies) and thus it's still a pretty sad ending for me because it still doesn't make fulfill my desires.
I'm really glad that Sheryl officially won (which was only hinted in the TV series).. but we didn't get to hear his confession (why not? <.< his moving lips without us hearing what he says doesn't make it better!) and in the end we didn't see them together at all and can only imagine.
It was obvious that Alto folded together with the Varja, but how is he going to get back to the new planet or survive at all? As much as I've seen he doesn't wear a helmet and we know his Valkyrie didn't fold with them, so he should only be able to survive on a planet with an atmosphere.. how many are there since the Frontier searched many years for one? And the chance to get back is even lower.. he shouldn't be able to get back on his own so someone has to search for him and then even find him in the huge galaxy :/

Well at least I can settle with Sheryl x Alto :)
Sep 20, 2013 1:23 AM

May 2013
billng said:
So is this an alternate universe or something? I thought mikhael was supposed to be dead.

Anyhow the ending was very unsatisfying.

its a remake of the series so yest an alternate universe. and i realize its your opinion but hows it unsatisfying. It leads if off pretty nicely. It hints that sheryl is going to wake up and if you payed close attention you can see that alto escaped with the Vajra queen, so it would only be a matter of time before hes back. granted the queen didnt warp into space with his helmet off ha.

ps. i think sheryl won in both the movies and series. even tho she says shell keep trying in the series sheryl has the upper hand in that as well.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Oct 7, 2013 8:04 AM

Dec 2011
LoveDriftsAway said:
Werchiel said:
Yea about that poster

Which poster are you... saying? Kiss in the Galaxy one is this one:

Edit: And the commemorative end of the triangle one in Macross Ace is this:

CAn anyone give a new link for the poster for commemorative end of the triangle one in Macross Ace Please??
Feb 2, 2014 7:16 PM

Dec 2013
This is me being kind of bitter, but since my OTP didn't happen, as far as I'm concerned these films don't exist. I've been a firm Ranka supporter since the airing of the first episode of the t.v series, so disappointment in the outcome of this film is about the only thing I'll ever feel for it.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Feb 8, 2014 1:49 AM

Aug 2008
I think the two movies were fine. I found them most interesting, in particular, because it was pretty much a retelling of the story, from the 2008 anime, changing many things around, so it kept it interesting. Like, they took out as much drama as they added new stuff to it.

My take: Alto survived. He warped/folded along with he Queen. The blasts clearly went through them on that scene. I guess he was taken with the intention of being used as a bridge between the two (or more) races, Humans and Vajra. And Sheryl got better and since he said he loved her, they became a couple, the end of MF.
Well, I prefer the harem route, but the 2008 version had an unresolved ending, so I took it as a harem ending, so I'm not being greedy here.
There were some things I didn't like about these movies though, I guess it's mostly due to the pacing and time restrictions , since they had to squeeze in everything in 4 hours? Roughly 12 episodes worth I guess.

Well, seeing as this installation proved a success, I look forward to the next Macross. Even if this was my first one and only one, the series in general have appealing themes and genres for me.
Mar 27, 2014 12:48 PM
May 2013
This is countless times better than the TV series .
One of the best movies I've ever seen , it was so "macross" .
May 29, 2014 7:03 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The ultimate version of this movie came out in BD in Japan. With english subtitles no less so if you can, please buy and support the cause.

Anyway, in the credits at the very end the made some changes and it's insinuated that Alto returns to the Vajra planet.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 25, 2014 6:34 AM
Aug 2013
Sapphirebreeze said:
I was extremely disappointed with this movie ):
I appreciated that they did come to a complete end with the triangle, but I wish that they could've done something different with it. With almost all of the Macross franchise the girl who ends up winning is usually the more mature one. While the cute girls are always losing. For once I would like a change.

This is exactly how I felt. Not again the same Macross story. In the series I felt that it was quite even between Ranka and Sheryl, with Alto better understanding Sheryl emotions but be more connected to Ranka on an emotional level. I'm mean he risks his life for Ranka without any hesitation while he knows her only a short time. But in the movies everything was changed to fit the pairing. :(

Edit: the story was huge clusterfuck.
Sep 10, 2014 4:44 AM

Sep 2013
Just when Alto finally chose someone he dissappeared and Sheryl went into a coma 'd heck?

This was a lot more confusing than the TV series. They didnt bother explaining the stuff that was happening. And Im not really a fan of the bittersweet ending. 7/10
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 27, 2014 2:44 AM

Jul 2013
Where shall I start?

Recently just completed the tv series and noticed there was a movie as well. I like the alternative plot to the movie but that is where it ends.

From the start it was 1 sided as Sheryl had more screen time and she managed to kiss alto where the tv series it was balanced and Ranka could compete.

I believe the tv series Alto was going to reject Sheryl during episode 24 and confess to Ranka.

I rather see the tv series ending than choosing Sheryl.

The pairing should be AltoXRanka. Sheryl just seems cold and doesnt bring that warmness and entertainment compared to Ranka.

Overall 7/10 but the tv series is better in every way.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 12, 2014 12:13 PM

Sep 2013
Oh man, this movie. There was so much stuff happening during the last 30 minutes that I couldn't believe my eyes.

Well, I loved it from the beginning to the end. A crazy enough ending to such a franchise. I was surprised at Alto picking a girl in this version, but it wasn't a big deal to me, either way. Killing (?) Alto in the end surprised me a bit, but I was fine with it. Not because I hate Alto or anything, but because it only served to make the ending more epic. Overall, I felt very satisfied.

The fight scenes were simply superb, and boy were there lots of them. Splashes of colors, fast moving jets and Jpop songs, all done at the very highest quality I have seen in this franchise ever.

The writing didn't make much sense at times, and the amount of deus ex machina might have set a new anime record, but I was fine with it. I expected them when going in, and I think they are a part of the charm of Macross, as silly as it sounds.

Overall, it's pretty much among the best anime movies I have seen, when judged purely on entertainment value.

I'll give it an 8/10.

I preferred these two movies to the TV-series - They had a same sort of an effect as Do You Remember Love. But I doubt they would have worked without having seen the TV-series first as well, so I don't feel like I wasted any time watching it.
Nov 15, 2014 7:20 PM

Nov 2014
I could rant all day about why Sheryl's kinda of bitch, and why Alto's insane for choosing her, but I guess that's the Macross tradition.

I actually liked the movie quite a bit, despite the terrible ending. It defines Ranka as being the main heroine, and personally, I feel the entire series is about her growing up in a changing world.

According to the producers, Sheryl wakes up and Alto returns, months after or something like that. Bullshit, I declare. Alternate universes have that tendency.
Apr 13, 2015 11:43 AM

Jan 2014
Am perfectly staggered.
The movie was so marvelous I just can't pause it and held my pee for an hour xD
Seriously brilliant, I was on the edge of tearing.
Ranka was a GALAXY better in the movie. Her character was incomplete and unlikable in the TV series, but she was charming in the movie, wow~
But it was all about Sheryl. I just can't stop cheering for the movie.
The new songs were equally great as the old ones, just lacked a killer song like Diamond Crevasse.
And our Hime has graduated from being a total pussy. Congrats~
The ending was emotional as fuck as well. He made a choice and so? Jesus.
Will rate 10/10 if i watch this movie as a newcomer.
11/10 because I'm a fan and this masterpiece is better than the TV series.
It was so familiar, yet so different. This paradox feeling was awesome.
Thanks everyone for the movie, and am hyping for the next Macross ^^
You will soon learn that a heart that choose to exist, even in a life filled with pain, will one day allow us to meet again.
With the world's blessings, we will meet again and again, forever returning to the homeworld we've yet to see.
Many, many times.

May 25, 2015 2:43 PM
Jan 2012
Amazing ending can't be more happier with Alto choosing Sheryl than "THAT" other girl
Jun 20, 2015 1:07 PM

Aug 2010
Not a bad movie, I just didn't like the reinterpretations of some events.
Aug 1, 2015 1:38 AM

Dec 2013
I'm super late to the party but I gotta admit I liked the TV series a lot more. I know TV series obviously had more time to develop story compared to the movies but it was just weird having different endings to many characters.

Also poor Ranka... I never supported her with Alto but it's still pretty darn sad seeing her get rejected.
Poor Sheryl too, after getting her love returned only for her to be in a "coma" like status with Alto MIA.
Although since Ranka did comment that hopefully Alto will wake her up when he comes back and in the ending of the movie her lips do move so maybe it hints that Alto has comeback or something idk. Not to mention their feelings and emotions are connected through the earrings they both possess.
8/10 movie and 9/10 series.

One last thing. song(s) wise I loved Ranka Lee's a lot more than Sheryl.
Interstellar Flight was AMAZING whenever it played.
HyuseAug 1, 2015 1:49 AM

"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
-Oreki Houtarou
Sep 9, 2015 12:41 PM

Nov 2007
I pity those who have yet seen at least Plus and Zero before this.

Also, the sweet sweet tears of rankafags.
"Haruhi stood in front of a sign that says "Don't feed the pigeons," she then began to openly throw bread crumbs around like a gardener determined to make the wilting flowers blossom again. All I could say about this is that she's probably illiterate." - Kyon 2:3

Sep 24, 2015 12:09 AM

May 2013
I'm so relieved that I'm completely done with this completely mediocre installment of Macross. I gave it a 7 and I would say that was generous. I completely frontier and it was boring as hell, then I watched the first movie and it was boring as hell. Now finally I am done. THANK GOD
Oct 12, 2015 2:33 PM

Nov 2013
All I care is that Sheryl won!
Fuck everything else.
11/10
Jan 1, 2016 1:36 AM

Sep 2010
Renaultclio101 said:
I believe the tv series Alto was going to reject Sheryl during episode 24 and confess to Ranka.

The scriptwriter said the complete opposite: he was trying to confess to Sheryl, but being Alto, he couldn't express himself well. It was his idea to 'delay' the obvious answer to milk the movies. In fact, LN wise, Sheryl tries to send him away because she knows he'll confess to her and kill Ranka, she doesn't want Ranka to die. She thinks she'll die after this mission and so she wants to set up Ranka as Alto's rebound girl -- she's pretty generous. She couldn't bear the thought of being confessed to because then she wouldn't sing herself to death because she'll want to live with Alto. She was martyring herself.

I'm not sure how Ranka could "compete" when Sheryl and Alto lost their virginities to each other and she was accepted by his family, almost already as a spouse. He willingly went to her and kissed her. I felt the movies made the dynamics more equal, Ranka didn't feel like a little child but a young woman.

Ranka's blurb about her relationship with Alto in the TV show always said it didn't reach anywhere, while Sheryl's was the complete opposite.
ThessJan 1, 2016 1:42 AM
Feb 26, 2016 11:46 PM
Apr 2015
I actually liked this ending despite being a ranka fan.
I never liked the idea of ranka x alto anyway, I was constantly waiting for alto to be direct with her and stop fucking around.
sheryl x alto is fine, it would have been nice to know if he actually survives though...
Apr 9, 2016 5:23 AM
Jan 2014
Didn't expect it but this ending was also really good.

Though way more sad for me than the anime one. I liked Ranka and Brera the most, so one of them having a sad ending and the other one dying is ... well, pretty sad.

As for the AltoxSheryl vs AltoxRanka ... AltoxSheryl probably rubs me the wrong way only because it means Ranka loses. Otherwise, I don't care all that much about that ship.

Also, things like ''Ranka isn't girlfriend material'' are pretty stupid. She's as much as Sheryl is, just comes down to preference.
Apr 22, 2016 9:16 PM

Sep 2010
MasaneX said:
Also, things like ''Ranka isn't girlfriend material'' are pretty stupid. She's as much as Sheryl is, just comes down to preference.

Nobody said that, but she isn't a suitable one for Alto. You need to rewatch the show and you'll see that the cues of maturity Alto had was due to Sheryl: she inspired him to never give up his dream (he and Ranka both), she had him rethink his immature opinion of hating Frontier, she had him reconcile with his family and come to terms with his mother's death. The movie romanticised the dynamics some more, but the show was all about who was the appropriate partner, the one who had Alto grow up from bitter boy to actually compassionate young man.

Macross isn't like those purity otaku-pandering shows where the girl is fated to be alone because her teenage crush didn't return her feelings. Mao Nome, Sheryl's grandmother, lost her triangle with her sister and she found a new love, happily married him and raised a family while she became a known scientist. Ranka will surely move on and find someone else. Alto was never the one she was looking for, unlike Sheryl's attachment to him was based on reality rather than a white knight fantasy Ranka harbored sometimes. Ranka will surely find someone else who would compliment her more.
Apr 23, 2016 4:05 PM
Jan 2014
Thess said:
MasaneX said:

Nobody said that

Actually, they did, that's why I responded, lol.

But sure, I didn't say anything that would imply anything contrary to that other stuff you mentioned.
May 17, 2016 4:57 AM

Apr 2014
Those FKING songs are amazing... Really love the Sayonara no Tsubasa. I felt greatness. And some like hougako overflow. Which is nice too.... Other then those.... I only see Ranka as a cute little sister which I never had... But she's still awesome.
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
May 26, 2016 4:03 AM

Apr 2012
Rewatched it for the third time today still noticed many things that I failed to spot before.
That scene in the last battle part when when both Ranka and Sheryl sing "zutto aishiteru... Aishiteru" was probably the most emotional scene in the whole Frontier series. Full of feelings as if it bursted out guided by a song that ultimately made for that last battle alone (I tried to mute the song and the battle scenes feel so empty and lost many impacts, vice versa). God, I really love Macross franchise, no exception.
Aug 11, 2016 5:05 PM

Sep 2011
Rewatched it for the first time since seeing. TV ending is still better than the Movies for the reasons being that, Alto gets folded away and some other shit. Meanwhile, in the TV series they all are 'well' so to say since there's no coma, disappearing, etc. The movies ending sets itself off to make a sequel out of it tbh.

I never liked either of the girls fully. They both have their ups and downs like people have said here.

One thing I loved about the movie was the songs, good animation, and the scene changes. Seeing Michael alive is great and Leon being shot in the head. Love it.

Vajra Queen x Alto wins.
TyrelAug 11, 2016 5:32 PM
Jan 15, 2017 9:14 PM

Jun 2013
Well compared to the TV there were a few changes here which were nice especially the part where they explore the chemistry between Alto and Sheryl. In addition, the show was quite action packed and had many exciting battles. Though I still preferred the TV ending with its love triangle as it feels better without the whole Alto gone MIA while Sheryl is in coma. I was kinda expecting Alto to return after the credits and wake up Sheryl but it just didn't happen.
Apr 29, 2017 10:59 PM

Jan 2013
Loved it. The ending was perfect. Even if Ranka "lost", Sheryl and Alto don't get to be together. It was a perfect middle finger to both sides of the field, which manages to outperform the original TV ending in that regard.

Bravo Kawamori.
Aug 2, 2019 7:31 AM
Jun 2019
Syrup- said:
Loved it. The ending was perfect. Even if Ranka "lost", Sheryl and Alto don't get to be together. It was a perfect middle finger to both sides of the field, which manages to outperform the original TV ending in that regard.

Bravo Kawamori.

sheryl and alto are united in the end of the movie ^^
Even Kawamori Said that the movie is a happy ending
look well the end ;)
Mar 10, 2020 7:01 AM

Oct 2013
Fantastic movie and funniest thread on this site. Those psycho Alto/Ranka shippers made my day.
Aug 27, 2020 5:40 PM

Aug 2017
Those screens randomly showing Astro Boy and Black Jack brought a smile to my face. And lol at Gourdski toys. What's with all those Tezuka references.

I wonder why Alto didn't do anything about Ranka's glowing tummy at the beach. Also lol'd at Sheryl staring at Alto's picture as a princess.

Ranka ran straight into the triangle on the roof - both figuratively and literally. Sheryl and Alto were outside it though.

"Lovely Bomber" is awesome. I almost died when I saw the band xD Crazy escape scene

The whole pre-battle confession mirrored that of Sheryl in the show. And then the surf xD Descending to Earth looked inspired by Gundam a bit. The reference to Big Wednesday was funny, given that the film involves surfing, and Captain Wilder loves just that

Bittersweet ending! I got a good laugh seeing all these ship wars in this thread. I personally am fine with the resolution (I love both Ranka and Sheryl), it was Zero-style (with Alto folding away, just like Shin).

I should say though that a couple of "saves" (of Luca and of Sheryl in space) felt a bit forced...I mean, creating energy fields in space is not new and all (we saw that in Macross 7) but I somehow felt that it was not very fitting to make Ai-kun save Sheryl. And Luca just got lucky, well.

The concerts were definitely awesome (lol'd at all the lewd meanings of DNA song), Sharon Apple would be proud. Compared to the 1st movie, I'd say that there was more action, but it's probably because we were wrapping things up.

P.S. In the TV series, Ai-kun was found on Macross Frontier because Vajra were secretly held there. But in the movies, I don't think it was the case. Did he get lost after an attack or something?
P.P.S. On 12:11 (Alto waiting for Ranka) there's a "Pure Shield" Sheryl commercial. Cute! There're 2 versions of it on the Movie 1 BD though.
St0rmbladeNov 12, 2020 8:17 AM
Nov 3, 2020 4:37 PM

Dec 2013
I think I watched a different set of films than the majority of the people posting here.

Outside of the music, a few of the character moments, the overall dynamic between Ranka, Sheryl and Alto, I felt that both films were far inferior to the original Frontier TV series

Just to put it broadly, and as a previous poster already mentioned, the overall story and character actions are incomprehensible at multiple points throughout both films.

Scene composition is absolutely abysmal at times, and scenes feel hastily strung together in an effort to get from point A to B faster, and scenes with lots of movement and action scenes in particular suffer for it the most.

Unfortunately, these films did very little for me.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Mar 17, 2021 9:57 PM

Jan 2010
What's with the random Black Jack and Astro Boy background advertisement around 8 minutes into the film?

Anyways, it's interesting that Sheryl knew at the beginning that she was a substitute until Ranka fully developed her powers. It's just that Sheryl was both too stubborn to quit singing and too stubborn to undergo surgery to become a cyborg, thereby circumventing her V-type illness.

The idea that Vajra are capable of feeling is introduced much earlier in the film, as compared to the television series. This characterizes them much better, as we aren't suddenly made to feel sympathetic to them at the last minute. The conversation between Ranka and Alto also has a much stronger dynamic, where in the television series, she conversation ended right as Alto declared Vajra as mindless enemies of humanity. Here, Alto says the Vajra are enemies, but question that if, by some chance, they had souls and emotions, then why are they actively causing so much pain and destruction for humanity? This would eventually be explained in the television series, but at the moment of Ranka's and Alto's conversation in the television series, it wasn't really explained, so there wasn't a real counter argument to say otherwise.

Additionally, instead of Ranka leaving the Frontier with Brera, coming off as a traitor to the human race, she discovers her biology via Brera, who thankfully didn't also have an amnesia problem, and discusses it with her friends and allies. As a result, they come to the conclusion that the Vajra are intelligent beings, painting the entire conflict as a strict violation of galactic code. This also establishes early on that communication is possible, making peace a viable option in spite of Leon's ambitions.

In the television series, Sheryl fell ill due to Grace neglecting her, and Ranka shot up in popularity after her performance of Seikan Hikou. The populace, being jerks, dropped Sheryl after being promoted by Grace and the Frontier government. It was rather unceremonious and cruel with how they trashed Sheryl's image so harshly. Here, Sheryl was ousted as a spy, so it makes much, much more sense. Still, I guess the implication is that both the Macross Frontier and Galaxy intended to reach the Vajra home world first to colonize it, and they're sabotaging each other to be the first to claim new land?

Regardless, this new spin makes Macross Frontier's story so much better. Rather than Sheryl getting sidelined for half the show, it turns her fall from fame significantly more personal for all parties involved, especially Ranka and Alto. It also cuts into Sheryl's underlying purpose in life: to sing. Here, instead of singing out of love or passion, she's shown to sing due to a political agenda, undermining the beliefs she imposed upon herself, as well as the faith her friends and fans hold in her. That's a really harsh blow, and some really well cooked drama.

Additionally, I like what they've done with Grace's, Luca's, and Leon's characters, whom I've felt weren't used well in the TV series. Grace is shown to have personnel working for her, so it makes sense that she's capable of covertly infiltrating the Frontier, compared to her seemingly doing everything herself in the TV series. Also, while she was offhandedly absolved of most of her crimes via implant mind control, it's still a better reason than her TV series reason of being power hungry and spiteful towards Dr. Nome and Mei. Leon is shown to have much greater control of the overall situation, and for as calculating and scheming he is in the TV series, he's shown to be much more competent and frightening here. It's also interesting how the power struggle between Grace and Leon traded back and forth much more. For Luca, rather than fully committing to assisting Leon due to a roundabout justification of protecting Nanase from future attacks, in the film, his reason is much more direct: Leon blackmails Luca via threatening his sister. It's so much more simpler and easier to follow.

I really liked Ozma's and Alto's conversation around halfway through the film, especially because I don't think they've ever really had a good heart to heart talk in the TV series. Ozma stated he fulfilled many roles, but his only talent was fighting. Alto, on the other hand, has talents in acting, so Ozma once again questioned if fighting what Alto truly wants. Alto doesn't need to risk his life as he could choose a less violent path in life, yet he pushes himself into combat. This undercuts into Alto's reason for leaving kabuki: he detested becoming the roles he was forced into, fearing he'd lose his identity to the people he played as. Through their conversation, Ozma tells Alto that he finally has an opportunity to choose what role he wants in life, and thus Alto should consider his decision to remain in SMS.

It's a small touch, but it makes so much sense for the Vajra to sing while communicating with Ranka and Sheryl. I can't believe the TV series never did that, as it's such a great way to have the Aimo song come full circle.

The TV series had an ambiguous ending, leaving the love triangle unresolved and the future of the Vajra unclear. Here, it's clear: Alto turned Ranka down and confessed to Sheryl, who've been shown to have met as children and influenced each other's character growths. Also, Sheryl, unlike the TV series where she's magically cured of her V-type infection via Ranka, is kept in a coma due to overexerting herself in the final battle. She's still alive, but has an understandable amount of damage done to her. With the Vajra, they're gone until humanity can prove to be able to live peacefully together. Ranka would help in bridging the connection, but it'll be a long and hard earned journey to do so, given how much destruction humanity has done in the name of colonization.

I overall liked the films much more than the TV series. They fixed problems I had the with the original, and added new material that makes much more sense to have. Great stuff.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» New trailer

Fujimoto_GOAT - Dec 29, 2010

20 by LoveDriftsAway »»
Apr 9, 2011 4:00 PM

» 2nd movie = ?

NotSoEpicMuffinz - Sep 27, 2010

3 by ddrcrono »»
Jan 7, 2011 9:53 AM

» /

delete_plz - Nov 24, 2009

2 by Exelen »»
Feb 12, 2010 8:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.