Forum Settings
Forums

Search: Find/Search Users by Compatibility/Affinity [Waived]

Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Post New Reply
Jul 1, 2019 10:30 PM

cyruz said:
There was an option like that before. But it put too much pressure on the sever so it had to be disabled. It will be back at some point but not anytime soon.

It's never going to be back is it?
Why would you lie to us the way you do?
:(
EDIT:
Updated signature because Tinypic is shutting down.

Modified by Pikslap, Jul 27, 2019 3:05 AM

Jul 22, 2019 5:55 PM

I don't understand why the site would need to process every single user though? Surely it would just compare the people who watched a common anime with you? And you could limit it to, for example, users who watched anime you rated 8-10 (and also gave it a similar rating perhaps). Those stats are already attached to the anime entries.
The site would take your list of high rated shows, and look through the users who also gave high ratings to find those most frequently recurring.
Sure, it's still no small amount of processing, but there's no need to scour the entire database when most users have probably never seen your favourite show.
It wouldn't even necessarily need to include rating either if it complicates things (although narrowing it down may make it easier? Idk), simply "who has watched the same shows as me?"
Some people do have long lists, but a lot of users' lists are quite short.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 13, 2019 9:27 AM

We really need a feature where we would be able to see a list of people who have the highest affinity with us. That way, finding good anime would be easier because you can easily find anime that you like from the list of someone who has similar taste as you.

Maloween 2020 candies

Aug 13, 2019 10:29 AM
Forum Moderator
铁血工业制造公司

Merged a bunch of duplicate topics on this.

Jan 17, 12:48 AM

Hoping this gets looked into more.

"It will be back at some time, don't expect it anytime soon though."

12 years later...

There could probably be ways to re-implement this feature without it being as taxing as it was before. Perhaps even just making it so it only goes off of users who have logged on within the last year or so. Or maybe past 6 months.

Maybe even having this option where it has to be "opt-in" only. People must click a button of some sort to allow the system to count them on the list?

Mar 10, 9:34 AM
Forum Moderator
Nameless Dreamer

Another duplicate thread merged.
A shooting star, 'cross the sky
Naught but a flash, 'fore it's gone;
Its twinkling causes an inkling
That what was once forgotten
Shall soon be remembered.

May 2, 7:23 AM

I personaly think its a good idea, a lot of people say they dont want a date site, but I dont think that would be the purpose of the search, Personaly I would use it to find people with high affinity and just watch stuff from their list that I have not yet watched, knowing theres a high chance that I will like it...

Aug 1, 9:16 PM
I think it's a good idea

Aug 15, 12:44 AM

cyruz said:
It will be back at some time, don't expect it anytime soon though.

I suppose that 12 years is not 'anytime soon'.

Oct 11, 4:43 AM
Why don't we follow an organized system to limit the number of users who can use the feature?
For ex, we have 5M users, u can put an option to activate the feature which not every user will use immediately
Now for ex 1M users has it activated
Limit the feature to be used once every 100 days
1,000,000 ÷ 100 = 10,000 per day
10,000 ÷ 24 = 415 per hour
Also we can limit it to calculate shows only above 7 or 8 rating.
Of course not everyone will use it and it will be limited so i think it will be a good implementation.

Oct 11, 4:51 AM
Another suggestion is to define a number of users who can use it per hour, Priority goes to the Active Users.

Nov 17, 12:11 AM
Several limitations required.

1. Last time logged in - not more than 1 month ago. Currently inactive accounts will be useless for user anyway.
2. 40(50) or more shared animes for representative sample.
3. Each account(or individual ip) can use this feature only once per 3 days.

I miss affinity.animesos.net

Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]