Forum Settings
Forums

Search: Find/Search Users by Compatibility/Affinity [Waived]

Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Apr 9, 2008 1:39 AM
there should be a way of finding the users who have the highest anime compatibility with yourself. manga as well.

This thread is a collection of all the suggestion threads in regards to this suggestion. So please excuse the jumping and seemingly random comments. As stated in the FAQ the feature was removed due to the tax it took on the servers. Due to having new servers I have reopened the thread, but have tagged the thread with waived as that is the current situation.

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
Modified by _Ghost_, Oct 6, 2015 8:37 AM

Apr 9, 2008 3:03 AM
DB Admin
YOUBACK4MORE?

There was an option like that before. But it put too much pressure on the sever so it had to be disabled. It will be back at some point but not anytime soon. Please use the forum search next time, we have at least 6 topics about this.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  

Apr 28, 2008 4:45 PM

Terribly sorry if this has been discussed before. =/

So here I was thinking. 'goodness I'd like to find the person on MAL with the most similar list to mind' possibly there could be a way to do that at some point?

Apr 28, 2008 4:52 PM

This feature used to be a part of MAL, but it was disabled a long time ago due to high CPU usage. It lagged the server a lot, so Xinil had to remove it.

Apr 28, 2008 4:54 PM

I think, this has already been discussed. And there's already a thread of it. Try searching the Suggestion forums deeper.

Or try using the search. ^^

Answered by the user above me. :3 Get it? *gives cookie*

Apr 29, 2008 12:49 AM
DB Admin
YOUBACK4MORE?

It will be back at some time, don't expect it anytime soon though.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  

Apr 29, 2008 1:03 PM

wow i was just thinking about this the other day and was going to submit this idea. ^^ i was going crazy checking every single anime list of all the people who scored a certain anime a 10 to see if their lists were compatible to mine to see if i should bother wasting my time on that title...

i'm very excited to see it implemented again in the future.

Apr 30, 2008 2:48 PM

cyruz said:
It will be back at some time, don't expect it anytime soon though.
I doubt it will be. There's just no feasible way of doing this.

Apr 30, 2008 3:24 PM

You could always limit the amount of searches by most compatibility a user could do, like say... once a month. This might surpass the excessive load... though I can't say if it would be enough.

Apr 30, 2008 5:23 PM

how is this any different from searching for characters or voice actors?

sorry for my ignorance, just trying to learn ^_^

Apr 30, 2008 5:49 PM

asandari said:
You could always limit the amount of searches by most compatibility a user could do, like say... once a month. This might surpass the excessive load... though I can't say if it would be enough.
That could be a viable option, but only temporarily. Especially since the amount of members coming in increases daily.

chryseis said:
how is this any different from searching for characters or voice actors?

sorry for my ignorance, just trying to learn ^_^
Because it has to go through the scores of all the users on MAL, and calculate all their scores. It's completely different from doing a regular search. Having a feature like that is just asking for a ddos attack.

Apr 30, 2008 6:55 PM

hmm, so it's not just like doing a CTRL+F, lol, especially worse, i guess, since people's scores are changing constantly and new members join each day, etc etc...although character pages change, the character name stays the same...okay i can see where you're coming from.

so, instead of the compatibility search being based off of every percentage, why not just have it search for people who are Amazingly High, Extremely High, etc? or is that the same issue?

Apr 30, 2008 7:03 PM

You won't know if they are until you search for them. So yes, it would be the same issue.

Apr 30, 2008 7:15 PM

chryseis said:

so, instead of the compatibility search being based off of every percentage, why not just have it search for people who are Amazingly High, Extremely High, etc? or is that the same issue?

If such searches were done in "realtime", with 50000 users you're looking at 1.25 Billion possible compatibilities that would need to be calculated and looked at. Even if such a search was run, say, once weekly and those static results referenced, I'm guessing the size of that particular part of the database would be inordinately large.

Apr 30, 2008 10:57 PM

I guess at best, you could go for something "stupid" like calculating (on demand) the compatibility of a random xx number of people on MAL (and order them).

"Stupid", as in not going through everyone's scores and picking the best ones out there. Just simply picking random people and check their compatibility.

Or.............(well possibly combined with the first idea) you could implement something that will save a number of people for compatibility (again, on demand), like favourites.
So let's say for instance you see someome with an extremely high/low compatibility (or just someone who you're interested in) and you want to track that, you can just add that person, so he'll/she'll show up on your profile page for you to stalk.

Just throwin' in my two cents........

Apr 30, 2008 11:29 PM

ehhh, that's a cool idea except that would almost be like a Friends list...i could accomplish the same easily by creating a folder in bookmarks and just bookmark all the profiles i want to keep x.x the issue at hand is finding compatible people, not where to save them :3

May 1, 2008 4:33 PM

chryseis said:
ehhh, that's a cool idea except that would almost be like a Friends list...i could accomplish the same easily by creating a folder in bookmarks and just bookmark all the profiles i want to keep x.x the issue at hand is finding compatible people, not where to save them :3
I'll give you that, but unfortunately like it has been said before; MAL's a growing site and has far too much data that needs to be compared in order to give a correct list of people who are the most compatible to you.

Let's face it, there aren't a lot of choices here. Either you need to settle for the closest thing to the actual feature (though clearly inferior), or just nothing at all.

Yes it will be like a friends list (though with a limit and no acceptation required), and yes you could basically just bookmark all these people's profiles instead (which is basically also the case for things like the friends list to begin with - and that argument is like saying that you could also say that you can use a spreadsheet instead of using your anime/manga list.... :P ), but in the end we'll need some kind of alternative (and getting the ultimate delux hosting package won't cut it).

Displaying random people's compatability with yourself is hardly efficient, but at least it'll get you in touch with people you don't know......... :3

May 1, 2008 4:44 PM

Join a club. You'll easily find someone with a high compatibility rating.

May 6, 2008 3:48 PM

I would like to have such a feature too.

Iri said:

If such searches were done in "realtime", with 50000 users you're looking at 1.25 Billion possible compatibilities that would need to be calculated and looked at. Even if such a search was run, say, once weekly and those static results referenced, I'm guessing the size of that particular part of the database would be inordinately large.

You don't need to save every of the 1.25 billion combinations, 100 best matches for every user should be enough.

May 6, 2008 4:08 PM

mi-akyatto said:
I would like to have such a feature too.

Iri said:

You don't need to save every of the 1.25 billion combinations, 100 best matches for every user should be enough.

eh...it's not a matter of saving them. the fact that they need to be calculated is the problem that taxes the server

May 6, 2008 7:29 PM

what about limiting it to a select group, like say all the members of a particular club. that would limit the number of comparisons to less than 400 in most cases i've seen. ofc, you'd still have to limit the number of searches a person could do in a given time frame or this would still be abused.

May 6, 2008 9:17 PM

I don't see what's so hard about going around the site and meeting people. I've met all my friends/high compatibility people through browsing and interacting with the community alone.

Basically I've lived fine without this for the last 6 months so it shouldn't make that much of a difference now.

May 7, 2008 8:32 AM

i don't necessarily want to MEET these people. i want to know their lists to see what else they've liked that i could possibly watch next. :P

and if i wanted to meet these people, i've only ever known one person who had a compatibility with me that's over 90% anyway and guess what, he's my irl friend lol. much good that does me when meeting new people. and i've been browsing a LOT during these past 6 months.

and my original point was i didn't want want to check every person's profile/list who scored Anime XYZ a score of 10 to make sure we're compatible and i'm not going to end up hating Anime XYZ. i rarely drop anime, so i would've just wasted my time :3

May 7, 2008 9:03 AM

^ what she said

May 10, 2008 9:33 AM

cyruz said:
It will be back at some time
:D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 10, 2008 9:43 AM

Oh, limiting the search to people who share favourite anime with you... (say the first favourite in your list that has over xxx members, or otherwise the one with the most favourites...) must help a lot... it wouldn't be gaurenteed to find the most compatible user but...

Jun 9, 2008 5:50 PM

Wouldn't it be nice to find friends who have a higher anime compatibility with you? I've only been able to find people no higher than 60% with me, but they must be out there somewhere~
Modified by _Ghost_, Jan 1, 2016 3:03 PM

Jun 9, 2008 6:30 PM

Xinil said:
Been requested tons of times, won't be implemented at this stage.

Jun 9, 2008 6:37 PM

roseice said:
Wouldn't it be nice to find friends who have a higher anime compatibility with you? I've only been able to find people no higher than 60% with me, but they must be out there somewhere~

70.3%!

Jun 9, 2008 9:16 PM

Jul 17, 2008 2:38 PM

I looked for this topic but didn't see one (search still down). I was wondering if we could have the option of seeing our most compatible users. Such as the 5 MAL users who rank highest in compatibility for your individual list. just a thought.

Jul 17, 2008 3:19 PM
read FAQ. ;)

Jul 17, 2008 3:21 PM

Jul 17, 2008 3:24 PM

freedoleen said:
read FAQ. ;)
LDK said:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=23009

my bad, I remembered reading about it somewhere but tried to look for it unsuccessfully. didn't think about the FAQ. thanks

Oct 17, 2008 7:46 PM

I dont think there is a thread like this, i just skimmed through first 10 pages...so, I think it may be a good idea to have a search feature to find other users with a high compatibility. This way we can meet people with the same interests as us more easily. Just like how there is an advanced search feature for anime and manga, we can have one for users. ur thoughts?

Oct 17, 2008 7:50 PM

I wish. :\

FAQ said:

Can we have...?

- A way to find users most compatible with us?
We used to have this option, but it was too taxing for the server. This may come back in the future.

Oct 17, 2008 7:52 PM

It'd be really nice if Xinil could find a way to make this work again. This is more important than the search feature. :D

Oct 19, 2008 7:21 AM

MAL is structured exactly like a dating service but it doesn't have the main feature! Why? Has this not been mentioned before? Or would it take up too much processing power? Dating sites seem to have no problem with this type of search...?

Oct 19, 2008 7:22 AM

I think there used to be one, but it was taken down.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 19, 2008 7:23 AM
I thought the mods already said it would be too big a strain on the server.

Dating sites have no problem because they have the servers and capacity to carry it. MAL has to carry the weight of the anime/manga/characters databases, along with the blogs and forums and other things.

Oct 19, 2008 10:45 AM

I think that'd be pretty awesome if they could. I'd love to find people with the highest percentages that easily. xD
Unfortunately though, they probably can't because of the server. Surely someone has thought of this already, they must know a lot of users would like it. There must be a reason they aren't doing it. An issue with the server is the only thing I can think of that would cause that.
I've heard of sites switching servers so they could add more though, or stuff like that. Not sure if you can really do stuff like that though, since I'm not running a website myself. I think I've heard of it a few times though, or at least something along those lines.

Oct 19, 2008 10:49 AM
DB Admin
YOUBACK4MORE?

Please read the FAQ.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  

Oct 19, 2008 7:34 PM

It'll be the coolest feature if it was added.

Oct 28, 2008 5:23 PM

Agreed :D. I would happily donate cash to this cause if need be ^_^.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidBoruto (Ryan)#1987 | Telegram ID: KidBoruto89

Oct 29, 2008 3:27 AM
now i won't donate, but i would support it in anyway i can other than that. and yeah, it's a great idea. beacuse i keep gettin just about anyone and everyone who just randomly try to be friends with me.

This feature would be great! ^_^

Oct 29, 2008 3:30 AM

Asako said:
This is more important than the search feature. :D

No.

Nov 28, 2008 6:11 PM

I'm not sure if this has been posted because search doesn't work.

I think that there should be a function that shows you the top ten users that are
most compatible with you. And/or users that have the most shared animes/manga with you.

Nov 28, 2008 6:17 PM

This existed in the past, but it's too much of a load on the servers.

In fact...

ScrumYummy said:
I wish. :

FAQ said:

Can we have...?

- A way to find users most compatible with us?
We used to have this option, but it was too taxing for the server. This may come back in the future.

Jan 9, 2009 1:29 AM

Aww man, Xinil should just buy a better server/buy better servers then, or at the very least upgrade the server/servers that he already has.

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidBoruto (Ryan)#1987 | Telegram ID: KidBoruto89

Jan 21, 2009 4:42 PM

is there any way to make this modification?

when you search for users or view online ones or whatever, it'd be great if your compatibility with them was listed in brackets right next to their name. for example:
shinigamidono(80), blah(70).... i know it took too much resources to be able to search for users based on compatibility, would this be the same situation?

Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »