Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 24, 2011 1:29 PM

Feb 2009
I'm in the mood for an anime that has a good plot and most importantly, a male lead that is unique and interesting. Here are a few examples so you get an idea of what I'm looking for.

Tokuchi, Toua from One Outs (looks weird or scary but very interesting and smart)
Neuro from Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (another one that looks weird but very interesting)

Can't think of any others right now but the male main character should be interesting or at least different in some way (powers, personality, dark, genius). Keep in mind that the actual show should be quite enjoyable and have a pretty good plot.

Also, if you have any guy protect girl recs, that would be great too.
Feb 24, 2011 2:50 PM

Sep 2007
I guess this is where I do my broken-record thing and mention Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which stars this young man, with a side order of this slightly older one.

You could also have a gander at Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, which certainly has an interesting and unique male lead and a passable plot (for what is basically an action movie). It sort of ticks the other box, guy-protects-girl, too, in a roundabout way.

Neither of these are exactly straightforward recommendations, for which I apologise.
Feb 24, 2011 3:18 PM

Nov 2008
Mononoke has an awesome medicine seller that you would like, he's dark, mysterious, powerful and a genius, just like you wanted.

I think Toua is supposed to be similar Akagi, so watch that as well.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Feb 24, 2011 3:26 PM

Feb 2011
Bakemonogatari had my two favorite male characters of all time, you should really check it out

Feb 24, 2011 3:56 PM

Feb 2011
Ghost Hunt

Feb 24, 2011 4:32 PM

Mar 2009
Our tastes differ somewhat but here are some guys I found very interesting:
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Feb 24, 2011 4:33 PM

May 2010
Ciel from Kuroshitsuji is pretty interesting. Dark, smart, tainted.

I'm also a huge fan of Ginko from Mushishi> He's pretty much an enigma

Vash from Trigun is pretty awesome once you get about half way through the series.
Feb 24, 2011 4:42 PM

Sep 2008
The following male leads might suit your taste in regards to unique and/or interesting:

*Yuzuru Otonashi of Angel Beats! has amnesia throughout the series and wakes up to a school that is more than it is.

*Train Heartnet of Black Cat is an ex-assassin turn bounty hunter.

*Rygart Arrow of Break Blade is unique due to not being able to pilot mecha in a world where everyone can. Also known as an un-sorcerer. The movie comes in a series with the 3rd one just recently being fansubbed.

*Ryner Lute of The Legend of the Legendary Heroes is unique in that he is an alpha stigma bearer in a world of magic and fantasy.

*Takumi Fujiwara of Initial D is a high school kid who is the fastest downhill driver of a certain mountain in Japan making for an interesting story.

Miharu Rokujo of King of Nabari is both interesting and amusing in this modern day setting about ninjas. Think Naruto without the shonén.

*Ginko of Mushishi is not only one of my all-time fave characters, but also a character worth taking note of in this touching supernatural fantasy series

...and last but not least, Alucard of Hellsing Ultimate, who has unique and interesting written all over him.
ScryptFeb 24, 2011 4:53 PM
Feb 24, 2011 5:03 PM

Aug 2009
Innocent Venus
Jyu oh sei
le chevalier d'eon
Feb 24, 2011 6:17 PM

Feb 2009
Some of these I have seen but quite a few I haven't. Added a couple to my list. Wouldn't mind more recs.
Feb 24, 2011 6:57 PM

Mar 2009
As to guy protects girl I was going to say Ayashi no Ceres, Chrono Crusade, Fushigi Yuugi, and/or Hanasakeru Seishounen but you've already seen them. Wish we could find some more of their caliber.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Feb 25, 2011 11:16 AM

Feb 2009
lisnoire said:
As to guy protects girl I was going to say Ayashi no Ceres, Chrono Crusade, Fushigi Yuugi, and/or Hanasakeru Seishounen but you've already seen them. Wish we could find some more of their caliber.

I agree with you! I really liked those shows.
Feb 25, 2011 12:05 PM

Sep 2008
If you're looking for a series where guy protects girl with an interesting story to match I suggest trying out Tsubasa Chronicle either on anime or manga (preferably the latter as the anime doesn't cover all of the adaptation). It may seem kiddy at first since its made by CLAMP but the way the story unfolds its brilliant and worth having in your list.
Feb 25, 2011 9:41 PM
Nov 2010
s-CRY-ed
Feb 25, 2011 11:57 PM
Oct 2008
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Rock from Black Lagoon
Onizuka from Great Teacher Onizuka
Feb 26, 2011 11:35 AM

Aug 2009
Minjax said:
s-CRY-ed

oh yes, forgot to mention this one, definitely seconded
Feb 26, 2011 1:46 PM

Feb 2009
I have actually watched a little of tsubasa chronicles but couldn't really get into it. I plan on watching the second season of black lagoon and have watched great teacher onizuka already. Added s-CRY-ed to my list. It looks interesting. BTW, I don't really like mecha which I see in quite a few of the recs.

More topics from this board

» Series with cute clothing and art style?

StrawberryBlxxd - Apr 16

13 by BenjaminJunior »»
44 minutes ago

» Help finding a Manga

mikemike25251 - 2 hours ago

0 by mikemike25251 »»
2 hours ago

» Best mystery/detective series I haven't seen yet?

Curlybrace101 - Apr 4

10 by boguda »»
6 hours ago

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

10 by boguda »»
6 hours ago

» if anyone is into some messed up manhwas read I Tamed My Ex-Husband's Mad Dog

Rijouku - Apr 1

2 by Rijouku »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.