Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
5 Centimeters per Second
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 22, 2008 5:34 PM

Jul 2007
Well, I finally got my R1 copy of this and watched it for the first time. The animation was truly beautiful. I really love this animation style and the wonderful use of light, shadows and skies to underscore the moment. But once again, dwelling on the theme of separation. I'm not sure how many different ways you can express this sentiment without starting to sound repetitive. I wish he would apply this tremendous artistry to a different theme. Akari was able to eventually move on, while Touno allowed himself to remain stuck in his childhood memories. Toward the end Akari found the letter she was never able to give to Touno, and she had a brief moment of nostalgia over a fond childhood memory. She had clearly moved on. His memory of this brief, yet impactful time in his life set him on a path that turned out to be pretty damn pointless. I am not able to relate to this sort of thinking as I am the resilient, cup half full sort. I would move on. You never forget moments like that, but you do move on.

So, I think I would have enjoyed this more if it had been an hour and a half and had also followed Akari's response to their parting and her way of handling the situation and feelings. It may have made for an interesting contrast. In the end, it was a touching, sad tale, but I had no pity for Touno.

I think it was Akari at the very end that walked past Touno at the train crossing. Yes Akari, full of thoughts of the present, didn't notice it was Touno at all and kept on going - just as she had done in her own life and with choices she had to make; while Touno was stopped in his tracks once again, and turned around, looking back to the past for something that had long since passed him by.

I gave it an 8. Astounding animation and storytelling technique spent on a rather boring, one-dimensional character.
Apr 23, 2008 10:35 AM

Oct 2007
I also felt like the ending was awful. NOT because it wasn't a perfect ending (though i would have loved that) i just felt like it didn't end. the first episode was amazing, and i teared up during it. like someone mentioned on the first or second page, i was expecting there to be a deep connection between the two of them throughout the movie. but instead it was just amovie about them drifitng apart. I did like the second episode, but it didn't really do much for the story besides confirm that tohno still liked akira.

the third episode, was awful. it really just was scenes to music. who is mizuno? what happened? the least they could have given us at the end was akira standing there after the trains had left. or if they had met up at the end, so that tohno could have moved on with his life. In the end he comes off as an almost pathetic character who can't seem to get out of his first childhood love.

they could have done a lot at the end to make it a beautiful sad ending. but instead they sort of left it. i've seen way too many sad romance movies and this one fell short in comparison.

as for each episoderatings, for me it would be 10 / 8 / 5.

this was not his best work. the place promised in our early days was better.
Apr 26, 2008 10:14 PM

Aug 2007
Last episode really lost touch. In my opinion, the movie would probably have been better if it just didn't exist. Still, the art direction and overall power of this movie is astounding. It's hard for me to decide whether I liked part 1 or 2 better. 5 cm/s draws much of its power because of its realism and how themes relate to situations and feelings in real life. Episode 1 is an emotional tour-de-force between anxiety, happiness, and raw emotion. Episode 2 can become a real tearjerker, too. For each episode, I'd say 10/10/7. Also, 10 for the Ending credits roll. I dunno, some kind of combination of the font, little sketches, the fact I just finished an epic movie, the layout, and the music just combines and makes me cry. I'm so pathetic. :P
10 on the trailer, too. Watching the trailer even makes me tear up :/
kevoApr 26, 2008 10:18 PM
Apr 29, 2008 2:43 PM
Jul 2018
Now that I've gotten my hands on the 1080p version, I kinda want to re-watch it. Though, that means less time to watch stuff I haven't seen before, so I don't know. Maybe I'll just wait 'til I at least have a monitor that I won't have do downscale it on...
May 3, 2008 1:56 PM

Dec 2007
what an amazing story and animation on this one, left me speechless
altho i didn't like the finally, i was hoping for them to be together
even with that i am giving it a 10/10

Sumeragi Kururu - Pledge Queen of Tool Toul To

May 3, 2008 6:05 PM

Aug 2007
I was really hoping for a happy ending, but the line "I wonder when I got into the habit of writing messages to nobody" just killed all my hopes for such a thing to happen...

The third episode should have been fleshed out more, was lacking compared to the first 2 episodes. I felt sorry for Takaki, but I'm glad he seemed to have moved on...about time! xD

Another masterpiece by Makoto Shinkai, although Beyond the Clouds and Hoshi no Koe had a better story in my book.
May 7, 2008 12:07 AM

Oct 2007
morbidly_sexy said:
I was just mad at Tohno for not moving on with his life because he'd only known the girl when they were kids and all they did was kiss ONCE, and after that she cut off ties with him. D< MOVE ON MAN!

/end heartless bitch rant
Sounds like you've never been in love.
May 7, 2008 2:11 PM

Nov 2007
Augh, I too was hoping that this would end happily. And indeed, even if they did exchange more texts their hearts still wouldn't be closer. He did really have to love her to not be able to move on... but I guess he was in a relationship with the girl with glasses? (Was that the girl in the 2nd episode?)
He kind of moved on... but he looked back anyway, like he's still searching for her. And maybe he always will be but he's realized that it's better to move on...
The first episode made me teary, and made it seem like the relationship had hope... but it kept continually going down and down D: ... the last episode was unique because of the music video format, completely out of character compared to the previous two...

May 7, 2008 2:15 PM

Mar 2008
I understood that the girl in 2nd story is Akari. After I finished the movie, my friend said that she was another girl from Takaki's school, not Akari *LOL*. I supposed that "Sumida" was Akari's surname.
May 11, 2008 4:21 AM

Apr 2007
A lot of people are getting lost in 3rd part. I think they should try going back and watching it again. Everything makes sense if you're paying attention...

May 14, 2008 6:36 AM
Dec 2007
*sniff* It was one of the best animes I have seen so far, mainly because so many overwhelming feelings were transported in it. I would have loved a happy ending, but well...that's the way life goes. This is the first love story that made me cry... O_o
May 14, 2008 9:48 AM

Sep 2007
im feeling soo down after watching the end **sniff~sniff** I would have love it and gave it a 10/10 if it was a good ending.. (give us EPISODE 4 =p, please dun marry!). This movie's too real for me =(. Well episode 1 was really well executed. Episode 2 was also quite good but i was hoping for Akira to have some screening time. And then episode 3 just dropped the bomb at me.
May 15, 2008 8:21 PM

May 2008
shoganai said:

I think it was Akari at the very end that walked past Touno at the train crossing. Yes Akari, full of thoughts of the present, didn't notice it was Touno at all and kept on going - just as she had done in her own life and with choices she had to make; while Touno was stopped in his tracks once again, and turned around, looking back to the past for something that had long since passed him by.

Well i think what you said described all the third episode yet it's sad to know that he had to look once more to the past to recognize that nothing was going to change even if he wanted. He wasn't going to have Akari and though i'm not really upset at all for the ending cause i think that real life happens like that and that most of the times we suffer for dreaming up to much.He gives up and hopefully he will wake up form that melancholic dream of infancy...it's to much for him to handle. He has to grasp reality in his life and maybe he lost one of the chances with kanae (the girl on the second episode) who could have taken little by little that huge scar of love that distance grew longer.

I loved all of the story itself i really have no regrets. I cried till i could no more and i believe that is one of the gratest romantic anime stories. A bittersweet ending could not be better since i prefer those and i admire really how such common real life stories could havev gotten beyond all of my expectations and reach higher above a masterpiece.
The second episode was the best i felt like i was Kanae so i really prefered kanae than akari itself. Funny thing to say but it touched me like a sword thorugh my heart and i thinking of it i would have done the same thing if i was her...that's maybe the reason
May 16, 2008 1:40 PM

Sep 2007
I don't understand all the flak that part 3 gets. I watched the three parts together as a whole entity and not separately, and I feel that part 3 works very well as a conclusion. And if people paid any attention to the end scenes there wouldn't need to be any "explaining" at all which would probably ruin the scene.

May 24, 2008 7:57 PM

Jul 2007
In terms of visuals, this is probably Shinkai's best project yet. However, his direction and storytelling haven't improved much (if at all) since his first works. IMO, (Voices of a Distant Star) > (The Place Promised in Our Early Days) > (5cm/s). The story feels rather diluted with many scenes that could have been condensed or eliminated for greater impact (or maybe he was just trying to be realistic?).

Anyway, I'm rather disappointed. I kept sniffing as I watched the movie not because of the drama but because I had a cold.
Jun 6, 2008 7:32 AM

Dec 2007
I think this film is one of the greatest portrayal of something I say from time to time:

"Life's hard. Live with it."
Jun 15, 2008 9:58 PM

Nov 2007
lol tihs film did not portray anything about life being hard; rather, it portrayed a boring story with nothing ever happening ever; hell this plot was slower and duller than Love Hina, and that is definitely not a good thing (I am sure there is some slower plot, but that was the first good example to pop into my mind). I would give specific instances, but I have no idea how to do 'spoiler tags'.
Elsewhere, a somewhat startled Warren Worthington III finds that he has accidentally wandered into an electrified east-side world of post-twist teens and watsui-ing teeny-boppers...
Jun 17, 2008 2:30 PM

Aug 2007
Well, this anime don't have great ending where we can see kiss and tell classic "and they live long and happy". This anime have own deeper meaning of telling other people our feelings and this is thing that i love most in this series. This anime isnt strong enough to make me cry but its have big power and i feel very sad to main char. I am sure that i wont forget this anime for long long time, and i will flashback it time to time in my whole life : ]
Jun 17, 2008 4:08 PM

Jan 2008
Probably the only anime in existence to portray an example of a romantic relationship between teens realistically.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 18, 2008 2:08 AM

Mar 2008
Rampant said:
lol tihs film did not portray anything about life being hard; rather, it portrayed a boring story with nothing ever happening ever; hell this plot was slower and duller than Love Hina, and that is definitely not a good thing (I am sure there is some slower plot, but that was the first good example to pop into my mind). I would give specific instances, but I have no idea how to do 'spoiler tags'.

lolololol.
You gained four fail points. Is this epic?
Yes / No.

By the way, this isn't something that should make you think too hard.
If you're struggling to understand what happened in the third part, don't take it too seriously - it's just as it appears.

I actually got the DVD a week ago and I'm watching the dub in three parts after week-long intervals (because I couldn't wait a few months like the Japanese had to in the Y! Japan showings).

After several watchthroughs, it's still just as good as it was the first time.

Regarding the dub: it's perfectly fine if you get past the fact that 8-year old, 13-year old, and early twenties Takaki all sound the same. Probably one of the better dubs I've seen recently.

EDIT: Blu-ray disc will be amazing.
These are lossy jpg, but the png's are too big to upload. : (

qtipJun 18, 2008 2:21 AM
Jun 18, 2008 2:08 AM

Mar 2008
Rampant said:

lolololol.
You gained four fail points. Is this epic?
Yes / No.

By the way, this isn't something that should make you think too hard.
If you're struggling to understand what happened in the third part, don't take it too seriously - it's just as it appears.

I actually got the DVD a week ago and I'm watching the dub in three parts after week-long intervals (because I couldn't wait a few months like the Japanese had to in the Y! Japan showings).

After several watchthroughs, it's still just as good as it was the first time.

Regarding the dub: it's perfectly fine if you get past the fact that 8-year old, 13-year old, and early twenties Takaki all sound the same. Probably one of the better dubs I've seen recently.
Jun 30, 2008 3:05 PM
Apr 2008
:'( I really liked it almost all the way through, unfortunately the ending left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, but i changed my mind about it and resumed being sad about the whole thing :'( Definitely the saddest anime i've seen so far, mainly because it didn't have a happy ending... I've still got to see Grave of the Fireflies though... apparently that takes some beating in the tearjerking department.

Jun 30, 2008 3:44 PM

Jan 2008
Smiley26 said:
:'( I really liked it almost all the way through, unfortunately the ending left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth

Welcome to real life. It tastes bad. :)

I think people can criticise the anime from a variety of ways, but the downbeat ending is not up for criticism, as its the entire point of the story and not something tacked on, and not only that but it's a gigantic step away from typical anime, in that we dont get a happily ever after ending, and we dont get a ridiculously over the top tragic 'everyone dies' sad ending. It is what it is. Kids fall for each other, grow up and grow apart. 90% of relationships in youth end up like this, Makoto Shinkai is practically being responsible in showing kids this via anime!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 5, 2008 10:22 PM
Oct 2007
Jul 6, 2008 11:21 PM

May 2008
Sad..

"I've read so much manga that at times my mind works in comic panels and dramatically expressed chibis. I'm both ashamed and amused by this."

Jul 7, 2008 4:43 AM

Jan 2008
Jasonbear said:
I'm not ashamed to admit it, but i'm a ridiculously slow person. All I can think about when I finished the movie was how sad it was! Everybody is saying it was beautiful, the ending was deep, and all that stuff but i'm just left here staring at the computer screen with my jaw cracked open. They love each other yet they don't end up together? How is that beautiful? Is it because of how realistic this is? How somebody captured a part of the essence of love? How seeing lovers in pain is in anyway beautiful?

They dont love each other anymore, that is the entire point. If they did, they would have stayed together, right? This is love. It's fleeting, as the Japanese love to fixate on this concept, you know the whole 'sakura leaves falling off the branch every spring' cliche.

I could go through every sentence of yours but I'd only repeat myself a thousand times. I actually dont even know what you're complaining about? The movie or what it depicts? Is the movie at fault for doing what it does?

Jasonbear, you are pretty young so I wont bash you or anything, but I do hate to break it to you: what happens in this movie is 90% likely to happen to you. You think "this is it, this is the one, I'm going to spend my whole life with this person" but you know what? It just ends. It just happens, and you cant do anything about it. Then you feel like utter shit for a while, you feel like dying, but then with time and distance, that feeling goes away and you just get on with life. A lot of people re-connect with another human and their heart starts beating again. That's just life. What you've seen in anime up to this point is just a fantasy, and its actually dangerous if your only concept of love in entertainment is through stories like that, and its depressing that this movie is a rarity, one that shows the more conventional ending to childhood relationships.

There is no 'meant to be', there's just free will. You can create an epic love with anyone you choose to, if you put the effort into it. There isnt some dude called Fate lying around firing arrows into babies linking them together.

/end mini-rant.
Jul 7, 2008 5:00 AM

Jun 2008
Cihan said:
Jasonbear said:
There isnt some dude called Fate lying around firing arrows into babies linking them together.

lol that just made my day at work.

i have to agree with Cihan on this, this movie when i first saw part 1 i thought to myself that its going to be those feel good happy ending movie. little did i know how it was going to turn out and left me feeling dejected. this movie is just depicting what is reality and how people can drift apart. its true that probably 8/10 of people from high school will never speak to each other again. its something that people will learn overtime and you jus have to face the fact. the other minorities who do find true love its a rarity. it something special and they deserve it.
i guess there will always be time when everyone will look back an reminisce how they wish it could of happen back then.

Jul 7, 2008 5:13 AM

Jan 2008
It's been a while since I've seen the film so I cant talk too much about it indepth, but to reiterate what I said a few posts above, what I remember feeling at the end was surprise that Shinkai ended this romance unlike the vast majority of anime, which only ends romances in 2 possible ways:

1] Happily ever after.
2] Everyone dies.

That's it. That's all we get, the couple stay together through impossible odds, or there's some gigantic tragedy with lots of death. This anime may feel downbeat because there's no climax like that; that we're all used to seeing over and over again. I dont think you should criticise this, but just accept it as something different.

I'm not saying the movie's perfect, it still does follow some cliches and conventions, but what the director set out to achieve, he achieved it. I dont even see it as a sad ending, doesnt the last scene of the film show a ray of hope for the main guy? That he's finally gotten himself a resolution by catching a glimpse of that girl again? Doesnt he smile to himself and accept it? I'm going off dodgy memory now, but I think that's how it went.
Jul 13, 2008 1:21 AM

Mar 2008
this is interesting ^^
Jul 17, 2008 10:20 AM

Jul 2008
Rampant said:
lol tihs film did not portray anything about life being hard....

Really? I feel the opposite. There are so many ways that one can find life to be hard. I believe this movie dives into one of the aspects of how difficult life can be sometimes and that is on an emotional level. Unrequited love and to gradually lose someone you love through different circumstances sucks pretty bad, whether it's through death, being apart physically, etc. How to get over that loss is an even harder thing to do and with time human beings are able to move on and that is one of the things that makes us so amazing. Takaki's smile says it all. So, kudos to Shinkai for expressing it in such a simple and beautiful way.
Aug 13, 2008 3:35 PM

Apr 2007
Cihan said:
Smiley26 said:
:'( I really liked it almost all the way through, unfortunately the ending left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth

Welcome to real life. It tastes bad. :)

I think people can criticise the anime from a variety of ways, but the downbeat ending is not up for criticism, as its the entire point of the story and not something tacked on, and not only that but it's a gigantic step away from typical anime, in that we dont get a happily ever after ending, and we dont get a ridiculously over the top tragic 'everyone dies' sad ending. It is what it is. Kids fall for each other, grow up and grow apart. 90% of relationships in youth end up like this, Makoto Shinkai is practically being responsible in showing kids this via anime!

Nothing to add.

Aug 22, 2008 1:22 PM

Aug 2007
Mouri said:
Rampant said:
lol tihs film did not portray anything about life being hard....

Really? I feel the opposite. There are so many ways that one can find life to be hard. I believe this movie dives into one of the aspects of how difficult life can be sometimes and that is on an emotional level. Unrequited love and to gradually lose someone you love through different circumstances sucks pretty bad, whether it's through death, being apart physically, etc. How to get over that loss is an even harder thing to do and with time human beings are able to move on and that is one of the things that makes us so amazing. Takaki's smile says it all. So, kudos to Shinkai for expressing it in such a simple and beautiful way.

His smile does say it all. I think in the very end he was able to move on, finally.
Sep 4, 2008 8:24 AM

Sep 2008
I agree with most of the positive points already discussed here, and would like to add my two cents.

Shinkai has created a masterpiece in 5cm per second, one that explores the distance that can exist between two people, whether it be geographical, temporal or metaphysical. Shinkai uses the symbology of cherry blossoms, applicable to both the way in which they slowly drift apart when they fall, and their transience.

I, for one, prefer viewing that encourages the viewer to think about the subject and provokes discussion, 5cm Per Second certainly met my expectations. Another quality that makes Shinkai's work outstanding is the way that it illustrates aspects of life. Life doesn't always have a happy ending, it's not all smiles and rainbows. This is an anime that illustrates this in an engaging, and mature way.

The art is incredible, Shinkai's attention to detail has created a vibrant world that further empowers the illustration of reality. Apart from the song at the end, the music was fitting and furthermore, brilliant. I liked the main theme (eyecatch) so much that I recently downloaded the sheet music and learned to play it.

All in all, a fantastic anime that illustrates the bittersweet distances that can come between people. And their ability to deal with this, and move on.
AurelianSep 4, 2008 5:20 PM
Sep 9, 2008 2:41 PM

Aug 2008
Many people said what they thought about this movie, so I'll made this short.
Both animation and visualisation are pretty much 9+/10.
The story is quite simple, but the storytelling is just awesome. Director made this movie in one way pretty simple to understand and on the other hand made it really deep.
Even if it's ends in a realistic way (that's hows the life looks like), I nearly cried at the ending (that's rare).

Overall my rating is strong 8, I gave it -1 for the ending (damn, I hate sad endings so much!)

Sep 15, 2008 9:10 PM

Jun 2008
Being a bit immature my first impression was that he got owned. But, still...it really is a masterpiece. Everything about it is so simple but still...well just read Aurelian's post.

But what got me was the art and the setting. I just want to live there...it's so beautiful...
hznuSep 15, 2008 9:15 PM
Sep 16, 2008 1:24 AM

Mar 2008
At first i thought that both of them would together at the end, which will be a pretty cliche ending. However, I still liked the ending as it really showed their feelings. This movie touched me. The theme 'distance' was the main thing in this movie and it was potrayed very well.
~Friendship is so sweet that it can cause tooth decay~

~Respect the losers, cause without them, there'll be no winners~
Sep 16, 2008 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
I agree with what cihan said that the ending "material" was great. It ends with neither the typical happily ever after nor the omg everyone dies. However, i think the exeuction was a bit lacking. The fact that i had to watch the last episode 3 o so times to get a somewhat clear understanding of what happened is a bit too much. Symbolism etc are great to use, but not when it is over the top or its portrayed in a AMV style where a scene lasts for 1-2 seconds.

Otherwise, this anime was a masterpiece. Would happily say that this was the best romance anime ive seen since honey and clover. Funnily enough, honey and clover had a somewhat between ending as well for 3/5 relationships (i think there was 5) - not the happily ever after nor everyone dies style.
removed-userSep 16, 2008 3:45 AM
Sep 19, 2008 1:02 PM

Jan 2008
hollowxxxx said:
not everyone in the world is happy. it's life. this is great in being one of the few anime tat tells unhappy endings. he's always been the more in love of the two thou. he saves her when they were kids. she leaves him. he goes to see her. they loss contact. she gets engaged and think of him as a child memory. he still waits for her. and at the end, he waits to see if she's there, she leaves him.

almost agree with everything
could speak about it more, but you know, such anime doesn't make me interested in debating, I really enjoy this sad feeling, part of life, great anime/...
Sep 27, 2008 9:14 AM

Mar 2008
man how depressing can a movie get.....ahh at the end, i knew they wouldn't get together, but still i wanted them to sooooooo much!! why did she turn away.........*cries*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2008 4:17 PM

Jan 2008
GDL-URAHARA said:
hollowxxxx said:
not everyone in the world is happy. it's life. this is great in being one of the few anime tat tells unhappy endings. he's always been the more in love of the two thou. he saves her when they were kids. she leaves him. he goes to see her. they loss contact. she gets engaged and think of him as a child memory. he still waits for her. and at the end, he waits to see if she's there, she leaves him.

almost agree with everything
could speak about it more, but you know, such anime doesn't make me interested in debating, I really enjoy this sad feeling, part of life, great anime/...

what everyone has stated is quite true. I really enjoyed this film. I think it hits you on a level that has not been done before. I teared up at the end it was just such a good story, and this is coming from a guy. Very few animes have made me tear up like this.
Art
the art work in this is just phenomenal. The shots just gazing off into the distance has a somewhat Hayao Miyazaki feel to it. It just feels so real and just pulls you into the scene.

Music
The music just melds so well with this. Its not way over the top or falling short. It hits that middle ground that just flows with the story. The closing song "One more time, one more chance" is just perfect. Every time i listen to it; it makes me tear up a little it is just so beautiful.

Characters
They are just so well done. you become attached to them. And you feel for them.

Story
It may start out like every other anime but it goes off into a different direction so to say. Every one doesn't die in the end, but the main characters don't get together and live happily ever after either. It shows how often distance relationships don't last. It seemed as if when they were young the world brought them together to fall in love and then did everything in its power to keep them apart until they became adults. Takaki kept loving her as much as he did when he was younger but couldn't move on. He was dating a girl for 3 years but was still stuck in the past. But by the end you see he finally decides to move on and be happy. Akari managed to move on with time and was getting married.

At first i thought they would be together by the end of the film but they didn't at the end and that was OK. It shows that real life is not perfect and that their is hardly ever any happily ever afters in this world. That's what i loved about this film it was more real life, and not the same old fairy tale story.

In the end this film is a perfect 10 for me. Every aspect of it was perfect; story, music, etc. In the end this film is one every anime fan needs to see and experience for themselves.
Oct 2, 2008 8:44 PM

Jul 2008
i loved the artwork, the environments were simply stunning :p
nuff said, i cried in the end >.>
Oct 4, 2008 7:39 PM

May 2007
Omg... the ending was so sad! x__x'
Animation was outstanding and extraordinary AND AWESOME!!! ^___^
10/10 :D YES.

Oct 8, 2008 5:26 PM

Aug 2008
Very good this movie!! A lastim the distance to finish with everything. But, I liked.
Oct 12, 2008 2:30 PM

Apr 2008
Finally watched this. dangg.. it was pretty crazy. but it did piss me off that the guy just wouldnt move on.. pretty depressing those last 2 episodes :/ .. but yeah, i think that the girl w/ the glasses is some other girl (not kanae) that started going out with him.. and they just broke up. i didnt cry.. i only cry when its something deeply sad and unexpected, but here.. the mood created was just wayyy too depressing, feel-bad-for depressing.. and the pace was a little too slow for me.. i liked the beginning of the first episode, it really grabbed my attention head on. you had to have a lot of patience during the part where his trains kept getting delayed.. i felt like shooting myself every time they had to show that. every other aspect was great though.. i watched this on bluray version, the animation is awesome.. music? i only noticed the BGM in the beginning.
Oct 15, 2008 7:17 PM

Jun 2007
anime_fan_800 said:
what everyone has stated is quite true. I really enjoyed this film. I think it hits you on a level that has not been done before. I teared up at the end it was just such a good story, and this is coming from a guy. Very few animes have made me tear up like this.
Art
the art work in this is just phenomenal. The shots just gazing off into the distance has a somewhat Hayao Miyazaki feel to it. It just feels so real and just pulls you into the scene.

Music
The music just melds so well with this. Its not way over the top or falling short. It hits that middle ground that just flows with the story. The closing song "One more time, one more chance" is just perfect. Every time i listen to it; it makes me tear up a little it is just so beautiful.

Characters
They are just so well done. you become attached to them. And you feel for them.

Story
It may start out like every other anime but it goes off into a different direction so to say. Every one doesn't die in the end, but the main characters don't get together and live happily ever after either. It shows how often distance relationships don't last. It seemed as if when they were young the world brought them together to fall in love and then did everything in its power to keep them apart until they became adults. Takaki kept loving her as much as he did when he was younger but couldn't move on. He was dating a girl for 3 years but was still stuck in the past. But by the end you see he finally decides to move on and be happy. Akari managed to move on with time and was getting married.

At first i thought they would be together by the end of the film but they didn't at the end and that was OK. It shows that real life is not perfect and that their is hardly ever any happily ever afters in this world. That's what i loved about this film it was more real life, and not the same old fairy tale story.

In the end this film is a perfect 10 for me. Every aspect of it was perfect; story, music, etc. In the end this film is one every anime fan needs to see and experience for themselves.

!agrees with everything
the art, is there a need to say anything about it? <3
the music, oh yes, it fit perfectly. it was very well done with the flashbacks and I loved it that they used when he entered the convenient store.
as for characters, for me it goes:
tono > kanae > akari
I think there should have been more of akari's point of view. all I got is: when she is on the train and thinks about the dream that she had along with tono & in the pictures at the end, it shows that she was crying when writting the letter. and now she is suddenly engaged at the end! D: seriously needed an akari's viewpoint

I think the saddest thing is that, not only that they didnt get together at the end, but that tono<3 did not moved on until the very last second of the movie ;.;
so we got to see him sad/melancholy/depressed/etc for almost the whole entire time </3

this movie also gets a 10/10 from me, the only problem is that it didnt move me as much as I thought it would... I only tear a little when kanae realized that she couldnt give him what he wanted and she would still be in love with him. I dont know if its me, or if the movie needed to be a little but more emotional/deep...

anyway, isnt kanae's dog adorable or what? *o*
Oct 20, 2008 9:57 PM

Dec 2007
heart fulfilling ! best anime ive ever seen!

Oct 22, 2008 7:17 PM

Sep 2007
Faust721 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.----------------------------------------
Now that the raw is out, i would like to give my thoughts on this as more and more people watch it (I watched it at AX earlier this month)

Waaah, it made Yoshiko-chan so mad...

It was short, but every episode came with a deep meaning.

Nov 11, 2008 8:43 AM

Nov 2007
wow, this animation is so perfect that all the details damage my eyes...

Anyway, beatiful story, really wierd characters in a way.. Must review this movie in distant future to understand some things better :P
Nov 26, 2008 1:29 PM

Apr 2008
Amazing. Beautiful. Like many people have said, this really protrays teenage romance well. Which is a pity.

But, DAMN, saddest ending ever.
:(

10/10!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2008 8:30 AM

Jan 2008
And there was I hopelesely looking for a sad anime (as lastly I didn't watch any of the kind) and now when I watched it I crave for a happy ending. Come on...

But, DAMN, saddest ending ever.

+1

I loved and hated this. Sad endings that split lovers appart really make me feel down.

+100

/cry

And yeah I MUST get my hands on Blue-Ray.
WerchielNov 30, 2008 8:52 AM
Pages (16) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What did you feel after watching Makoto Shinkai`s 5 Centimeter per Second? ( 1 2 3 )

IRIS-T - Mar 6, 2016

108 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 11, 9:22 AM

Poll: » Who's the best girl?

spectre699 - Sep 23, 2023

9 by Jusne »»
Mar 3, 4:59 PM

» im confused

_txhsin__ - Feb 20, 2023

19 by frodberserk »»
Jan 3, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Jul 5, 2008

75 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 11:16 AM

Poll: » Byousoku 5 Centimeter Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Apr 30, 2007

104 by oooo3333 »»
Aug 27, 2023 10:55 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.