Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2011 2:22 PM

Aug 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Very long first chapter that I ever read good start I should say especially the character development on the main charater

Aug 24, 2011 10:30 PM
Aug 2011
Yea and I'm re-reading the beginning of the story since it's been so long since I started reading it in the Shojo Beat magazine (yes guys read it too!) and couldn't find any other way until now to finish so I start over.

I first started reading shortly before my own mom died so...
May 11, 2015 4:42 AM

May 2010
So long, but man the drama. I got teary-eyed all of a sudden, I had no idea why I was getting like that. This is beautiful.
Sep 14, 2015 3:16 AM

Jul 2012
Impressive. This one's a keeper. I love the storytelling and characters so far.
Dec 12, 2018 12:45 PM
Aug 2018
After the first few pages I have the feeling that this will be a sad story.

The small girl calls the other girl "nee-chan", but she says "I went there with my mother...", so I assume that girl isn't her birth sister.

Mother divorced from father when the protagonist was a small child. Sounds like something will happen to her mother and she will end up with in foster care.

And before her memories she says "Those days won't come back.", so everything will go downhill from that point on. And we already know she is about to marry will go abroad. Maybe a story about a lost love of her youth?

This will be a sad story. Time to get some tissues ready.

Edit: Yeah, the first chapter turned out as expected. But I had expected an accident, not for the mother to leave her own daughter behind and to commit suicide. And with the way she did it, I don't even feel pity for her, somehow. Not even a letter for her daughter? Oh well.

And it looks like that the boy with the black hair has a crush on the girl. Love triangle incoming? Yawn.
tr25a3Dec 17, 2018 9:06 AM
Sep 25, 2019 11:09 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I first read the first chapter in a Shoujo Beat sampler, and then continued to read the series. It's been a long time (almost 10 years?) since I've touched this series because I couldn't find the rest of the chapters. I suddenly remembered it, I guess because I've been re-reading some emotional manga, and Sand Chronicles really gave me a deep impression. There are stories you don't remember much of, despite liking it, but this is one that won't be forgotten even if you've only read it once.

Anyways, although I remembered that the chapters were long, and that it was a heartbreaking manga, I don't remember having cried from the first chapter...because I definitely did just now. I guess I can relate even more to Ann's mother now than when I was inn high school. The phrase, "I'm tired." really broke me. It was sad to see Ann and her grandmother deal with their emotions afterwards, but because they have to, they eventually pick themselves back up.

I'm glad she made friends right away upon arriving at the village. Daigo went all the way to Shimane to buy another hourglass for her, he's really great. Whether if it's because he cares about her as a friend or more than friend doesn't matter. The gesture was what Ann needed.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sunadokei Chapter 3 Discussion

Mayuka - Sep 14, 2015

2 by Pollomonteros »»
Jan 7, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Sunadokei Chapter 2 Discussion

Mayuka - Sep 14, 2015

1 by Pollomonteros »»
Jan 7, 6:49 PM

Poll: » Sand Chronicles Chapter 22 Discussion

tolkster - Mar 14, 2012

5 by IarIz »»
May 1, 2021 4:51 AM

Poll: » Sunadokei Chapter 21 Discussion

Mayuka - Sep 16, 2015

5 by camilleish »»
Aug 20, 2020 9:25 AM

Poll: » Sunadokei Chapter 11 Discussion

Mayuka - Sep 14, 2015

1 by tr25a3 »»
Dec 17, 2018 3:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.