Forum Settings
Forums

[POLL] How do you decide on what anime to watch?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Aug 25, 2011 12:28 AM

Apr 2010
I just pick alphabetically from my PTW list.

After all...if it's in my PTW list means the anime got me interested...
Aug 25, 2011 4:08 AM

Jul 2011
click kyuubey and see for yourself /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ when you see my pattern, you'll shit bricks
Aug 25, 2011 10:02 AM

Jul 2011
Its kind of a lengthy process for me when choosing my next anime to watch.

1) Decide what genre I want to watch
2) Find an anime of that particular genre that I have already WATCHED & ENJOYED
3) Look it up on MAL
4) Look up Recommendations list on MAL
5) When I find something that gets my attention, read the synopsis, reviews and comments about it
6) If the feedback isn't positive, go back to step 4 :)
7) Download & Watch!
HDAnimeReviewsAug 25, 2011 10:06 AM
Aug 25, 2011 1:53 PM

Feb 2011
I mostly decide on hype, animation quality, ratings, genre, and instincts.

Another Sig WIP
Aug 26, 2011 12:37 AM
Mar 2011
Generally by genre and/or staff. For example, if it's mecha and/or Tomino/Gainax, I'll likely get around to it at some point.
Aug 26, 2011 3:20 AM

Aug 2009
all i know is.....

any anime with loli is GOOD!
Aug 26, 2011 6:38 AM

Apr 2011
Well, I just read description to see if it's something I would like, look for some pictures and then maybe read some reviews. But if I sense that this anime is good no matter how bad the reviews are I'll watch it anyways [coughokaneganaicough]
Aug 26, 2011 6:59 AM

May 2009
Read the short synopsis --> Watch if interested

Sometimes studio can override if the synopsis is bad. Like if it's a Shaft, Brain's Base, Production I.G, or Kyoto Animation anime, I'll always at least give it the benefit of the doubt and watch an episode or two. Never would have given Nichijou a shot without KyoAni rep, which would have sucked since it's like one of my favourite shows now.

Sometimes mid-late season I'll try something that's getting massive love, that I completely missed or skipped over for whatever reason.

I never check reviews or anything.
Aug 26, 2011 3:53 PM

Sep 2009
HDAnimeReviews said:
Its kind of a lengthy process for me when choosing my next anime to watch.

1) Decide what genre I want to watch
2) Find an anime of that particular genre that I have already WATCHED & ENJOYED
3) Look it up on MAL
4) Look up Recommendations list on MAL

What happens after you've watched everything in the specific "recommendation tree"?
Aug 26, 2011 4:18 PM
Oct 2009
I simply watch everything to ^^

most Anime
Aug 26, 2011 8:05 PM
Jul 2011
The description typically since ratings reviews and hype can range everywhere from great to terrible, visuals and trailers can be misleading, instincts for me can 50/50, and i dont keep up with voice actors.

If its a plot that interests me i check it out for a few episodes to see if it plays that plot out nicely
Aug 26, 2011 8:09 PM
Aug 2011
recomendations are taken. then i look up ea anime on wikipedia, then if interesting i watch 1-4 eps of it to decide whether i will watch all of it or not
Aug 26, 2011 9:08 PM

Jun 2011
usually by recommendations, ratings and intuition :P
Aug 27, 2011 7:55 AM

Feb 2011
I go with what my gut tells me.
Aug 27, 2011 10:07 AM
May 2011
I guess I just add random things that I may someday want to watch or have been told to watch and then if it's mentioned to be worth it or seems interesting I'll try it out.
Aug 27, 2011 10:08 AM

Jul 2010
Friends' recommendations :)
Aug 27, 2011 3:19 PM

Jul 2009
I simply watch every newly released series. If i get bored after 3 episodes, i'd drop it.
It all depends on my whim. I don't take anime seriously, but i do watch a lot because it's the only activity i do outside work.
Aug 27, 2011 3:38 PM

Jul 2008
joshun said:
I simply watch every newly released series. If i get bored after 3 episodes, i'd drop it.
It all depends on my whim. I don't take anime seriously, but i do watch a lot because it's the only activity i do outside work.

I pretty much do that too, I do 2 episode samples then I go from there. These don't even get put on my list. If I watch more than 2 then it does even if I don't finish it.
For older stuff I use the rating then sample form there.
Aug 27, 2011 5:05 PM
Aug 2011
I guess I watch anime according to my mood too... if I'm already kinda depressed I'm not going to watch an anime that will bum me out further. For example, the latest anime I watched was Aoi Bungaku and during the story Run Melos I cried the Niagara Waterfalls...so the next anime I'm watching now is Welcome to NHK (which has comedy in it)...
Nov 16, 2011 6:37 PM

Jan 2010
Genre. Sometimes I like to watch shows with the same genre in a row. Sometimes I get tired of a genre and try to find alternate genres for a change of pace.
Nov 16, 2011 6:56 PM
Jul 2011
All of the above.
Nov 16, 2011 11:21 PM
Apr 2010
When I started watching anime I went by what was popular and then I started searching specific genres that interested me. Now I'll look at lists of new anime coming out the next season and if the images, ads, trailers catch my eye because of the style of animation or artwork I'll put it on my list. Then I'll start watching a series from my list depending what I'm in the mood for. I'll watch a couple series at a time because maybe today I want to watch a comedy but tomorrow I want to watch a thriller etc.
Nov 16, 2011 11:23 PM

Apr 2011
This is how I decide if an anime is going to be good or not.
"I know it when I see it!"
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Nov 17, 2011 1:48 AM

Sep 2011
I read the Anime's description and if it interests me I will give it a try. Animation sometimes plays a factor but not usually.
Nov 17, 2011 1:53 AM

Jan 2011
For airing shows it's usually watching the first one or two eps and then deciding to continue.
For completed ones I go with Descriptions and Genre. Don't really care much about Hype and reviews.
Nov 17, 2011 2:12 AM
Nov 2011
My criterion is quite simple; download all the highly-rated stuff at MAL and then watch them randomly. I do watch some low-rated anime too, but that's only the case when the reviews say they're good and are lowly rated at MAL. Visuals (both animation and artwork) also attract me.
Nov 17, 2011 2:43 AM

Aug 2011
I go with the recommendations and what genre I'm in the mood to watch.

I lurk around MAL and read some reviews and recommendations on stuff that I find interesting and put it in my PTW list. I try not to have too many on it either, that would just look messed up and just hard to pick the one I want to watch.

As of lately, I'm watching BECK from an recommendation from people and so far I've not looked back to what I've seen so far. ;]
Nov 18, 2011 2:01 PM

Jun 2011
^_^ I mainly go on instinct!
But I also do note the voice actors, and if there's a certain voice actor I like, I'd keep watching it.
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!
Nov 18, 2011 4:10 PM

Aug 2011
Everything as stated in the poll except:
Trailers(Which i rarely watch) , not really picky on Visuals/Animation Quality(so far the only show that i dropped due to this problem is Special A where i absolutely cannot stand the way their nose are drawn).

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Nov 18, 2011 4:37 PM

Sep 2009
Art style tells awful lot about anime.
Nov 18, 2011 5:21 PM

Aug 2009
It's pretty sad how much I depend on the Top Anime list. I don't watch everything there, since I'm not interested in really long shows (I don't have the attention level or the dedication), but I'm getting through it. Also, my current thing right now is baseball anime. My love for baseball in general fuels my desire to watch them all. But I hate sports anime. Only baseball.

Nov 18, 2011 6:03 PM

Oct 2011
Generally speaking, I tend to keep my ear open to what other people are saying about anime, and if it appeals to me I'll check it out. Usually it's constricted to genres but if something has an interesting enough premise, I'll defy my usual genre preferences like with magical girls and Madoka and Princess Tutu. Sometimes I'll stumble onto something via looking around at anime in a genre that appeals to me. I might also check something out if it's by a writer I like.

With new stuff coming out, I look at those spiffy charts and watch what looks appealing and drop it if it turns out to be crap.
Nov 18, 2011 7:32 PM

Sep 2011
The recommendations on MAL have been helpful, in a few cases. Other than that, though, I select by genre usually nowadays.
In the past, when I was new to anime, I chose by hype. I knew very little of anime, so I tried out the ones that I heard of. The only anime that I specifically chose when I was younger was Rockman.EXE, since I loved the MMBN games.
Nov 18, 2011 9:44 PM

May 2010
"Other"

To me, it's basically a guessing game. I'll give a fair shot to just about anything that comes my way. If it doesn't have my attention within the first 3 episodes, I drop it like it's hot and move on. If it is catching my interest, I'll see it through to the end.

I have a knack for loading my Netflix queue up with anything on there and attempting to burn through it all as soon as I can manage it. Ha ha! I'll occasionally StumbleUpon lists and recommendations and I'll check those out too if I haven't already. My tastes are varied, so I enjoy allowing myself a wide selection.
Nov 19, 2011 5:17 AM

Jan 2010
1. The art of the Anime
2. Main character(s)
3. Genre
4. Synopsis

I avoid anime with female tsundere as the lead.
Nov 19, 2011 5:51 AM

Apr 2008
I chose trailers. If I watch enough of them, it usually can give me a good sense of the art/animation quality, the atmosphere of the show, and obviously the voice actors (but I usually don't care about this part). That's not the only factor though, I pick anime by its genre and just find things that are interesting on my own. I find that I can hardly ever trust recommendations/reviews, everyone's tastes and opinions are just too different.

But all of that doesn't apply if a certain anime/manga is by a same director/mangaka/studio that I love, I'll jump right on it.
Nov 19, 2011 8:00 AM
May 2011
recs or ratings
Nov 19, 2011 8:03 AM

Jun 2009
1. Synopsis
2. Character profile
3. Spoiler
Nov 19, 2011 2:22 PM

Oct 2009
I actually read the plot and if I like it, I give it a shot. Ratings don't do it for me because there's many anime shows that I find great, but they are rated poorly. Same with reviews, I don't care about the artistic stuff/deeper meaning/whatever. If I like it, I like it and that settles it for me.
Nov 20, 2011 10:29 AM

Mar 2011
A lot of different factors go in, ratings and reviews definitely help me pick up a lot of shows that I might otherwise not and it being well-known also can contribute to making me want to pick it up. Lately too if there is a VA I like and they are featured in a series I didn't know about, I might pick it up. That having been said, instincts and if I think that it might be good are usually the greatest factors.
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Nov 20, 2011 10:38 AM

Oct 2011
Malkavian said:
Generally speaking, I tend to keep my ear open to what other people are saying about anime, and if it appeals to me I'll check it out.

Same here...
Nov 20, 2011 10:38 AM

Jun 2010
Well, If I will answer the poll my answers would be:

Ratings
Hype
Genre
Visuals
Voice Actors
Nov 20, 2011 2:25 PM

Nov 2011
I usually do it like this

Genre
Story
Art

Nov 20, 2011 2:54 PM

May 2010
Story and art are my big two. But there have been times where I've watched a series because of its hype.
(゚∀゚)
Nov 20, 2011 5:59 PM

Mar 2009
1 "Must see/classics"
2 On-goings (i try to check most/all of them and eliminate the ones that i can't watch)
3 Stuff i've heard of / seen in the past
4 Various random picks from various sources and situations (ie. MAL profiles, fansub groups, random listings, ads, mags, tv, articles, reviews, previews etc.)
5 other (VG, Manga, Dorama adaptations etc.)

I have time constraints with all the anime and various other things i do, so i drop something that doesn't meet certain criteria (that may vary per show as well) because i literally don't have time for it. Unless it's short and not too unbearable.

And there are some exceptions as well and they tend to be in the stuff i really want to unwatch-gategory.

PS. The quotes aren't there for fun.

Nov 20, 2011 6:33 PM

Oct 2011
I would've liked to choose more than one choice but no problem
Yeah basically I depend on rating, recommendations, genre, animation quality and instincts to pick up animes I want to watch
Nov 20, 2011 6:46 PM

Nov 2011
Both recommendations and instincts. I don't care much about what genre it is
Nov 20, 2011 7:23 PM

Sep 2011
"Hype" I guess...from hearing who is in the production of the anime.

I got into Cardfight Vanguard because the mangaka for Yugioh R was part of the collab, and some people were saying it will be the new Yugioh, so I checked it out and loved it.

And for Mawaru PenguindDrum, Lots of people said it will be a mindblowing anime because the director also created Revolutionary Girl Utena... I jumped in the Penguindrum Wagon and also fell in love with the anime!

Repeat forever. Promise forever
That you'll keep me in your heart.
Nov 20, 2011 9:07 PM

Oct 2011
I look up the ratings on MAL, Anime News Network, Imdb, etc. If there high up and look interesting, I look at the genre and read the reviews, if it looks and sounds good, I'll watch it. Sometimes I look up top 10 anime of a random year in the 2000's, too.
Nov 20, 2011 10:04 PM

Dec 2010
Genre, baby. Genre.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - 11 hours ago

17 by Zettaiken »»
3 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

153 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 3 hours ago

10 by Nirinbo »»
4 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

41 by Ricchan__ »»
5 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 2 hours ago

8 by Ricchan__ »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.