Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2011 10:42 AM

Mar 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Meet John Rambo Kyousuke Hiba, a former Special Forces soldier. After being discarded after a botched job, he is now a drifter working at a construction site. When a helicopter carrying a female scientist with an obviously important briefcase tries to land near said site while being attacked by heavily armed mercenaries, John decides to intervene and is soon after pulled back into the life he had tried to leave behind. Well, not really, but of course he has to because - what a surprise - him and scientist-lady have a history.

What a great premise! I'd try to pitch that to some Hollywood studio if I wasn't sure that the Japanese creators of this gem of a film would sue me for everything I have.

I don't have anything insightful to say about this OVA, except that it's a great example of how voice actors will do anything to earn a living.
Kamiya Akira as John Rambo with Daisuke Gōri as his trusty reverse mohawk sidekick, Wakamoto Norio as the villain, and Doi Mika as the useless damsel in distress... I'm sure the director of this shit is going "Yeah yeah, it was a load of horse manure, but the voice acting was fucking A!"

I don't know what they are looking at, but if older John has that terrified look on his face despite all the botox and plastic surgery, you know it's got to be something dreadful.

Rolex + Hong Kong = Holex. Unintentional? Probably. Hilarious? Damn straight.
I don't know karate, but I know karazy
Oct 16, 2017 12:15 PM

Aug 2016
What a mediocre movie. Never really had any high expectations for this but j expected it to be at least somewhat decent.
Dec 7, 2017 2:38 PM

May 2012
Pretty okay movie, reminded me quite a bit to Rambo! Quite liked it with the performance of Wakamoto Norio, but other than that it wasn't anything too special!
Oct 16, 2018 12:54 PM

Aug 2012
This only really needed to be one thing and thats simply this - Action, Action and more Action. I'm ignoring the existence of a Manga in this case admittedly but for an Anime OVA at just 45 minutes story and most character development really needed to take a back seat with an MC and plot such as this but unfortunately the action boils down to a couple of scenes.

Not a total waste of time as it is pretty funny just how much this rips on Rambo and the story that is there while shallow is simple enough to follow. I don't personally consider 45 minutes wasted the worst thing ever and as such while this was certainly not very good or just plain bad I don't regret giving it a go.

Also wtf was Kamiya doing on this!? lol Surely he had better things to do.
Nov 7, 2018 3:13 PM

Nov 2016
I always wanted to see Rocky the Animation xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 30, 2019 3:55 AM

Dec 2018
This is Rambo but without the blood and guts. Weird it's like a parody at some point. I can't rate this movie properly however since i was terribly disturb everytime i wanted to watch it damn. But the vibes are pretty nice like the art is pretty nice so might give it a second try but as always if you guys are interested for more of this kind. Fist of the north star is for you
Apr 15, 2020 9:30 PM
May 2019
Practically the Japanese Rambo, but toned down to the point where it no longer has any charm.
Jun 11, 2021 9:45 AM

May 2017
I had this on VHS back in the day, definitely the worst anime I owned but totally worth the price of admission for one scene alone. It's been almost thirty years now so I don't remember the context but some dude delivered his last dying soliloquy WITH A KNIFE STICKING HILT DEEP OUT THE FRONT OF HIS FOREHEAD. F$cking glorious. Three GARs out of ten.
Forum sniper of MAL. Accuracy, efficiency. Beware the catgun.
Oct 8, 2022 9:12 PM
Jul 2018
Title befitting to its anime, Dog Shit!
Bro! Where do I even start, lol
The pacing so fast and horrible that you can't even say that, there is even pacing in the movie. I don't even wanna say anything. The knife in forehead scene, I don't know how in the hell he was even speaking after that. I wasted my 40 minutes but atleast I laughed while watching the whole OVA!
Feb 8, 3:49 PM

Feb 2012
Well, can't say I had high expectations for the result of Riki-Oh artist making a Rambo fanfic. "Pentagon hiding the cure for aids" is certainly a theme that could be done in anime of that era.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022

More topics from this board

» Why do people hate this so much?

ArkX - Mar 2, 2013

4 by MeowMixMax »»
Oct 12, 2023 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.