Forum Settings
Forums

[Topic Suspended] Local TV Channel in Tokyo Considers Limiting Anime

New
Jan 30, 2011 10:49 PM

Feb 2008
News topic suspended!
Tokyo MX announced in the official twitter that the article of Weekly Gendai magazine was a fabrication. They have made strong protests against the magazine. Tokyo MX stated that they have not changed their programming policy in regard to anime. Tokyo MX reassured fans that they regard anime as important and will continue being a friendly broadcasting company to anime fans.

Source: Tokyo MX official twitter

#============================================
According to Weekly Gendai magazine, one of the executives of Tokyo Metropolitan Television (Tokyo MX) said they are considering self-restraint in airing anime with sexual contents. The executive said they cannot ignore the anime and manga regulation ordinance because 4.1% of the stocks of Tokyo MX are held by Tokyo Metropolitan government. Tokyo MX has been popular among young job applicants because they air many core-fan targeted anime. However, Tokyo MX considers rejecting job applicants who like anime reflecting the expected situation caused by the ordinance. "We cannot put a warning 'No Anime Fans Allowed' in the guidelines for applicants. So we are thinking of asking the job applicants 'Where do you take your foreign friend for a sightseeing?' If they answer 'Akihabara', we will kick them out.", the executive said.

Note: In Japan, some anime are aired only on local TV channels because the airing fees of the nationwide channels are expensive. Even if Tokyo MX stops airing anime, residents in Tokyo can watch anime broadcast by the nearby local channels such as TV Kanagawa, TV Saitama and Chiba TV.

Source: Scan of Gendai

Updated on February 1st
Tokyo MX denied the article of Weekly Gendai and stated that "We don't judge the job applicants by their liking for anime. Please apply to our company without hesitation."

Source: Tokyo MX official blog
dtshykFeb 2, 2011 5:42 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 30, 2011 10:57 PM

Sep 2008
I laughed at the answer of Akihabara.
I guess this is one way to try and clean up the working class of Japan.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2011 11:08 PM

Feb 2010
HawthorneKitty said:

More like discriminate against otaku =\
Jan 30, 2011 11:10 PM

Sep 2009
Paladin65536 said:
HawthorneKitty said:

More like discriminate against otaku =

thanks to anime and manga regulation ordinance.
Jan 30, 2011 11:11 PM
Jul 2008
Hmm, isn't tokyo MX the one with the uncensored raws? That sucks a lot, I hate censorship.
Jan 30, 2011 11:11 PM

Mar 2010
Lol the answer, but if 'the foreign friend' is a hard-core otaku, then it could be the suitable case

Jan 30, 2011 11:12 PM

Oct 2007
Most Uncensored RAWs come from AT-X.
Jan 30, 2011 11:23 PM

Apr 2010
Nachotee said:
Hmm, isn't tokyo MX the one with the uncensored raws? That sucks a lot, I hate censorship.

Nope, that's AT-X. Tokyo MX usually uses the censored versions. I think, since all of the raws I've seen from them were.
Jan 31, 2011 12:15 AM

Oct 2010
ISHIHARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
Jan 31, 2011 12:21 AM

Jan 2009
lol Japan is starting to clean all those ecchi on TV

this kind of remind me of Eden of the East it has politics, otaku, old people who disciplines or heavy criticize youngsters, and youngsters get depressed and become NEET, those kind of situation is kinda happening now or might happen in the future
Jan 31, 2011 12:23 AM

Jun 2008
LOL @ Akihabara haha!

Visit our website at http://www.animeotakucorner.com
Jan 31, 2011 12:26 AM

Jun 2009
Whats next bookstores in Japan limiting selling manga.
xDoN904Jan 31, 2011 12:35 AM
Jan 31, 2011 1:10 AM

Oct 2010
dtshyk said:
'Where do you take your foreign friend for a sightseeing?' If they answer 'Akihabara', we will kick them out.", the executive said.

if i take my girl friend or my fellow friend from a neighboring country to Akihabara then they will kick me out and i will loose my job. ( * * ) ?? Well i dont know anything about the Akihabara so i dont understand this.
Jan 31, 2011 1:22 AM
May 2008
I see the rebirth of OVA's on the horizon. There were hundreds in the 80's early 90's for this kind of thing.
Jan 31, 2011 1:23 AM

Apr 2010
sankar said:
dtshyk said:
'Where do you take your foreign friend for a sightseeing?' If they answer 'Akihabara', we will kick them out.", the executive said.

if i take my girl friend or my fellow friend from a neighboring country to Akihabara then they will kick me out and i will loose my job. ( * * ) ?? Well i dont know anything about the Akihabara so i dont understand this.

Akihabara is the otaku central of Japan. If you say you'd go there, that means you're an otaku 9 out of 10 times.

Jan 31, 2011 1:40 AM

May 2009
There are so many things wrong with the way they're testing the chaps. I mean, it should be obvious and after a while they'd come up with standard answers like Todaiji or Nara.
Jan 31, 2011 2:04 AM

Nov 2010
That's terrible discrimination. Denying NEETS (Not Employed, in Education, or Training) jobs just because they like anime is terrible. It's like denying patients access to the doctor's office just because they are contagious. Way to faulty logic -_-;
Jan 31, 2011 2:31 AM

Aug 2009
kalamity said:
That's terrible discrimination. Denying NEETS (Not Employed, in Education, or Training) jobs just because they like anime is terrible. It's like denying patients access to the doctor's office just because they are contagious. Way to faulty logic -_-;

I feel the same way. That's a very inhumane and fiendish discrimination. Not to mention that those applicants may not necessarily be considered NEETs or otaku class fans, they must have been trained somehow, and are actually looking for a job. They are taking things too far.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

Jan 31, 2011 2:35 AM

Apr 2010
kalamity said:

Well its no different from here... if like on a job application, they ask what you do in your free time, and you say something like play World of Warcraft, thats as good as a refusal right there. Otakus arent viewed much different from those types of people here.

Jan 31, 2011 2:37 AM
Nov 2008
kalamity said:

Protip: Not all NEETs like anime. You'd be silly to assume so.
Jan 31, 2011 2:47 AM

Jan 2010
This is just.. wow.
Jan 31, 2011 2:53 AM

Jul 2010
So, this one escapes me, but what does the connection of people's hobbies and their work skills? Because I've seen a lot of my friends who spend their free time watching anime or playing games but they always do their tasks well.
Jan 31, 2011 3:25 AM
Mar 2009
RedSuisei said:
So, this one escapes me, but what does the connection of people's hobbies and their work skills? Because I've seen a lot of my friends who spend their free time watching anime or playing games but they always do their tasks well.

It's because being an otaku is considered a sickness in Japan. As far as I know from everything I've read and heard about it, in Japan, it's the social version of the Black Death.

Jan 31, 2011 3:35 AM

Jul 2010
Huh, if it were me, I'd gladly pick an otaku who does his/her job well than a non-otaku who can't do shit.
Jan 31, 2011 3:52 AM

Sep 2010
LOL

Why should Akihabara being involved here XD

Brilliant thinking of those executives XD
Jan 31, 2011 4:01 AM

Dec 2010
dude this is so wrong!!! what does your hobbies have to do with your work skills?! I'm realy happy that I live somewhere which still has long to know what otaku means!!!
Jan 31, 2011 4:10 AM

Nov 2010
Onibokusu said:
kalamity said:

Protip: Not all NEETs like anime. You'd be silly to assume so.

Oh of course I know that. I was just saying that denying a NEET a job just because he/she so happens to like anime or gal games or eroge or otome games is discrimination. It's wrong to deny someone a job just because you assume they are unproductive due to their hobby.
Jan 31, 2011 4:13 AM

Jan 2009
RedSuisei said:

another reason i can think of is otaku means obsessed, so japanese employers might interpret it as otaku's will be more preoccupied or focused on their obsession rather than their job/work
Jan 31, 2011 4:25 AM

Jun 2010
That is just idiotic... What if they wanted to go to Akihabara for the electronics? :P
but yes, apparently no one likes anime otaku =\
Jan 31, 2011 4:28 AM
Jul 2010
dtshyk said:
According to Weekly Gendai magazine, one of the executives of Tokyo Metropolitan Television (Tokyo MX) said they are considering self-restraint in airing anime with sexual descriptions. The executive said they cannot neglect the anime and manga regulation ordinance because 4.1% of the stocks of Tokyo MX are held by Tokyo Metropolitan government. Tokyo MX has been popular among young job applicants because they air many core-fan targeted anime. However, Tokyo MX considers rejecting job applicants who like anime reflecting the expected situation caused by the ordinance. "We cannot put a warning 'No Anime Fans Allowed' in the guidelines for applicants. So we are thinking of asking the job applicants 'Where do you take your foreign friend for a sightseeing?' If they answer 'Akihabara', we will kick them out.", the executive said.

Note: In Japan, some anime are aired only on local TV channels because the airing fees of the nationwide channels are expensive. Even if Tokyo MX stops airing anime, residents in Tokyo can watch anime broadcast by the nearby local channels such as TV Kanagawa, TV Saitama and Chiba TV.

Source: Scan of Gendai

I lol'd XD well, I guess this can't be helped, but recently many people got really obsessive about anime & manga stuff, why don't they leave it as it is now?
Jan 31, 2011 4:30 AM

Mar 2008
Doesnt really matter, its just random talks by lowly humans...the otaku race will always be superior...HA! HA! HA!

...orz

心に宿る魂の声が聞こえる...
Jan 31, 2011 4:47 AM

Oct 2009
No matter how I see this, otakus are considered obsessed with anime so the government decides to just kick them from application because the governement believes that all they think about is anime and not their job, but when some work in Japan still work and probably watch anime....

I'm starting to think that certain someone is behind this.

Jan 31, 2011 4:54 AM

Jan 2008
Noblesse Oblige, may you become the Messiah.
Jan 31, 2011 5:11 AM

Nov 2008
well i guess they r trying to do something about echhi
Jan 31, 2011 5:50 AM

Dec 2009
The outcome might be interesting. I suppose after some time there'll be something like a revolution and we ( the anime fans) will end up being able to sue anybody we want by just screaming "DISCRIMINATION !!" . Oh , and how does Otaku Saturday sound ?

( I don't mean anything racial discriminating/insulting/etc. , just want to point out history repeating itself. And sorry for the bad english.)
Jan 31, 2011 6:09 AM

Dec 2007
Huh, and the Japanese government wonders why the youth is becoming more introverted, thus the birth rate is going down and the economy's going to the crapper etc.

Man, never have I seen an instance of total cluelessness of why an issue exists than the way Japan treats its youth.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2011 6:14 AM

Jan 2009
I see the rebirth of OVA's on the horizon.

That would be cool.
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
Jan 31, 2011 6:28 AM

Jan 2009
RyanSaotome said:
Well its no different from here... if like on a job application, they ask what you do in your free time, and you say something like play World of Warcraft, thats as good as a refusal right there. Otakus arent viewed much different from those types of people here.

This. I suspect a lot of the other people commenting here must be young or never had something better than a McJob. However it's common even here for employers to be wary of applicants who put hobbies such as anime, video games (especially MMO's like World of Warcraft) and other "introverted" or "socially unacceptable" activities. While I agree it's wrong to judge someone by their hobbies -- nor is it really any of their business IMO -- the general population doesn't see it this way. Especially in the corporate world where you're being interviewed by people who are 40+ years old.

Pro-tip: Just don't put it in your application.
Jan 31, 2011 7:06 AM

Jul 2009
Celenas said:
RyanSaotome said:

This. I suspect a lot of the other people commenting here must be young or never had something better than a McJob. However it's common even here for employers to be wary of applicants who put hobbies such as anime, video games (especially MMO's like World of Warcraft) and other "introverted" or "socially unacceptable" activities. While I agree it's wrong to judge someone by their hobbies -- nor is it really any of their business IMO -- the general population doesn't see it this way. Especially in the corporate world where you're being interviewed by people who are 40+ years old.

Pro-tip: Just don't put it in your application.

This, so much. Was literally just about to post what you said.
Jan 31, 2011 7:17 AM

Sep 2007
That really doesn't sound so much like the idea it affects their work skills, because to me it seems like this:

Tokyo ordinance to restrict content
->Tokyo MX stock-controlled by metropolitan government and must meet ordinance
->->Deny jobs to people with vested interest in anime because too many of them working there will try to subvert, rebel, or undo what the government did

Is it discrimination? Yes, certainly, but it seems to me that the station is arguing about a supposed Fifth Column rather than it degrading their work skills. It'd be like applying for a job at Wal-Mart and in the interview saying you never shop there, but you do shop at Target.
Jan 31, 2011 7:32 AM

Sep 2010
well this is another terrible thing, I wonder what's next on the list :/

Jan 31, 2011 7:48 AM

Nov 2008
otakuthon49 said:
No matter how I see this, otakus are considered obsessed with anime so the government decides to just kick them from application because the governement believes that all they think about is anime and not their job, but when some work in Japan still work and probably watch anime....

I'm starting to think that certain someone is behind this.

Since this is close to government sponsored discrimination, we have one very vile, evil, and power hungry governor to blame.

We need someone with the charisma and nature of MLK Jr., Ronald Reagan, and Kennedy to stop this. It has gotten out of hand, it's not about restrictions anymore, it's about establishing a "Final Solution" to get rid of otaku, which could be as bad as just denying employment (which is happening now) or worse imprisonment, sent to a concentration camp (in the disguise of detox or re-education) or death. We need a strong, charismatic person to end this once and for all.

Jan 31, 2011 8:00 AM
Jun 2008
hahahahah they are denying that Akihabara is a tourist attraction to the whole world. maybe I said it wrongly...I meant that they are denying the fact that Akihabara is a tourist attraction in Japan only.

I never been to Akihabara but I seen many Anime showing foreigner going there for sightseeing .I wish to go there when I go to Japan
Jan 31, 2011 8:13 AM

Apr 2010
well thats pretty blatent discrimination, way to be lame japan

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Jan 31, 2011 8:31 AM

Feb 2008
discrimination is O.K.!
Jan 31, 2011 9:06 AM

Nov 2010
dtshyk
[b said:

Updated on February 1st
Tokyo MX denied the article of Weekly Gendai and stated that "We don't judge the job applicants by their liking for anime. Please apply to our company without hesitation."

I'm glad they retracted that statement. Then again, they had to if they didn't want to cut the number of applications they are receiving down to a third...
Jan 31, 2011 9:10 AM

Nov 2008
kalamity said:
dtshyk
[b said:

Updated on February 1st

I'm glad they retracted that statement. Then again, they had to if they didn't want to cut the number of applications they are receiving down to a third...

It's nice they retracted their statement, I was afraid that the "Final Solution" had began to take shape.

Jan 31, 2011 9:27 AM

Jul 2010
dtshyk said:
So we are thinking of asking the job applicants 'Where do you take your foreign friend for a sightseeing?' If they answer 'Akihabara', we will kick them out.", the executive said.]

but i would want to go there sightseeing first...
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Jan 31, 2011 9:37 AM

Sep 2009
BlackSnake56 said:
thanks to anime and manga regulation ordinance.
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Otaku are outcasts in Japan, that isn't changing anytime soon.
desolatoJan 31, 2011 11:32 AM
Jan 31, 2011 10:03 AM

Jul 2007
Japanese otaku should just go with the recent trend and start a revolution~ like build an army of robots and take over Tokyo!

oh right, they're Japanese.. never mind then.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - 12 hours ago

20 by NoktoH »»
1 hour ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.