Forum Settings
Forums

[Topic Suspended] Local TV Channel in Tokyo Considers Limiting Anime

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
 
#1
Jan 30, 2011 10:49 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4386
News topic suspended!
Tokyo MX announced in the official twitter that the article of Weekly Gendai magazine was a fabrication. They have made strong protests against the magazine. Tokyo MX stated that they have not changed their programming policy in regard to anime. Tokyo MX reassured fans that they regard anime as important and will continue being a friendly broadcasting company to anime fans.

Source: Tokyo MX official twitter

#============================================
According to Weekly Gendai magazine, one of the executives of Tokyo Metropolitan Television (Tokyo MX) said they are considering self-restraint in airing anime with sexual contents. The executive said they cannot ignore the anime and manga regulation ordinance because 4.1% of the stocks of Tokyo MX are held by Tokyo Metropolitan government. Tokyo MX has been popular among young job applicants because they air many core-fan targeted anime. However, Tokyo MX considers rejecting job applicants who like anime reflecting the expected situation caused by the ordinance. "We cannot put a warning 'No Anime Fans Allowed' in the guidelines for applicants. So we are thinking of asking the job applicants 'Where do you take your foreign friend for a sightseeing?' If they answer 'Akihabara', we will kick them out.", the executive said.

Note: In Japan, some anime are aired only on local TV channels because the airing fees of the nationwide channels are expensive. Even if Tokyo MX stops airing anime, residents in Tokyo can watch anime broadcast by the nearby local channels such as TV Kanagawa, TV Saitama and Chiba TV.

Source: Scan of Gendai

Updated on February 1st
Tokyo MX denied the article of Weekly Gendai and stated that "We don't judge the job applicants by their liking for anime. Please apply to our company without hesitation."

Source: Tokyo MX official blog
Modified by dtshyk, Feb 2, 2011 5:42 AM
 
#2
Jan 30, 2011 10:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 7063
I laughed at the answer of Akihabara.
I guess this is one way to try and clean up the working class of Japan.
 
#3
Jan 30, 2011 11:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 342
HawthorneKitty said:
I laughed at the answer of Akihabara.
I guess this is one way to try and clean up the working class of Japan.

More like discriminate against otaku =\
 
#4
Jan 30, 2011 11:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 924
Paladin65536 said:
HawthorneKitty said:
I laughed at the answer of Akihabara.
I guess this is one way to try and clean up the working class of Japan.

More like discriminate against otaku =


thanks to anime and manga regulation ordinance.
 
#5
Jan 30, 2011 11:11 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 546
Hmm, isn't tokyo MX the one with the uncensored raws? That sucks a lot, I hate censorship.
 
#6
Jan 30, 2011 11:11 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 935
Lol the answer, but if 'the foreign friend' is a hard-core otaku, then it could be the suitable case

 
#7
Jan 30, 2011 11:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 979
Most Uncensored RAWs come from AT-X.
 
#8
Jan 30, 2011 11:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 268
Nachotee said:
Hmm, isn't tokyo MX the one with the uncensored raws? That sucks a lot, I hate censorship.


Nope, that's AT-X. Tokyo MX usually uses the censored versions. I think, since all of the raws I've seen from them were.
 
#9
Jan 31, 2011 12:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 7358
ISHIHARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
 
Jan 31, 2011 12:21 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 29497
lol Japan is starting to clean all those ecchi on TV

this kind of remind me of Eden of the East it has politics, otaku, old people who disciplines or heavy criticize youngsters, and youngsters get depressed and become NEET, those kind of situation is kinda happening now or might happen in the future
 
Jan 31, 2011 12:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 122
LOL @ Akihabara haha!

Visit our website at http://www.animeotakucorner.com
 
Jan 31, 2011 12:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1153
Whats next bookstores in Japan limiting selling manga.
Modified by xDoN904, Jan 31, 2011 12:35 AM
 
Jan 31, 2011 1:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 369
dtshyk said:
'Where do you take your foreign friend for a sightseeing?' If they answer 'Akihabara', we will kick them out.", the executive said.


if i take my girl friend or my fellow friend from a neighboring country to Akihabara then they will kick me out and i will loose my job. ( * * ) ?? Well i dont know anything about the Akihabara so i dont understand this.
 
Jan 31, 2011 1:22 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 122
I see the rebirth of OVA's on the horizon. There were hundreds in the 80's early 90's for this kind of thing.
 
Jan 31, 2011 1:23 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2019
sankar said:
dtshyk said:
'Where do you take your foreign friend for a sightseeing?' If they answer 'Akihabara', we will kick them out.", the executive said.


if i take my girl friend or my fellow friend from a neighboring country to Akihabara then they will kick me out and i will loose my job. ( * * ) ?? Well i dont know anything about the Akihabara so i dont understand this.


Akihabara is the otaku central of Japan. If you say you'd go there, that means you're an otaku 9 out of 10 times.

 
Jan 31, 2011 1:40 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 347
There are so many things wrong with the way they're testing the chaps. I mean, it should be obvious and after a while they'd come up with standard answers like Todaiji or Nara.
 
Jan 31, 2011 2:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1024
That's terrible discrimination. Denying NEETS (Not Employed, in Education, or Training) jobs just because they like anime is terrible. It's like denying patients access to the doctor's office just because they are contagious. Way to faulty logic -_-;
 
Jan 31, 2011 2:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1834
kalamity said:
That's terrible discrimination. Denying NEETS (Not Employed, in Education, or Training) jobs just because they like anime is terrible. It's like denying patients access to the doctor's office just because they are contagious. Way to faulty logic -_-;

I feel the same way. That's a very inhumane and fiendish discrimination. Not to mention that those applicants may not necessarily be considered NEETs or otaku class fans, they must have been trained somehow, and are actually looking for a job. They are taking things too far.
We are the United. Even in defeat we stand united.

 
Jan 31, 2011 2:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2019
kalamity said:
That's terrible discrimination. Denying NEETS (Not Employed, in Education, or Training) jobs just because they like anime is terrible. It's like denying patients access to the doctor's office just because they are contagious. Way to faulty logic -_-;


Well its no different from here... if like on a job application, they ask what you do in your free time, and you say something like play World of Warcraft, thats as good as a refusal right there. Otakus arent viewed much different from those types of people here.

 
Jan 31, 2011 2:37 AM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 18132
kalamity said:
That's terrible discrimination. Denying NEETS (Not Employed, in Education, or Training) jobs just because they like anime is terrible. It's like denying patients access to the doctor's office just because they are contagious. Way to faulty logic -_-;


Protip: Not all NEETs like anime. You'd be silly to assume so.
 
Jan 31, 2011 2:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1371
This is just.. wow.
 
Jan 31, 2011 2:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 962
So, this one escapes me, but what does the connection of people's hobbies and their work skills? Because I've seen a lot of my friends who spend their free time watching anime or playing games but they always do their tasks well.
 
Jan 31, 2011 3:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1626
RedSuisei said:
So, this one escapes me, but what does the connection of people's hobbies and their work skills? Because I've seen a lot of my friends who spend their free time watching anime or playing games but they always do their tasks well.


It's because being an otaku is considered a sickness in Japan. As far as I know from everything I've read and heard about it, in Japan, it's the social version of the Black Death.
All of my FAL results so far.
 
Jan 31, 2011 3:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 962
Huh, if it were me, I'd gladly pick an otaku who does his/her job well than a non-otaku who can't do shit.
 
Jan 31, 2011 3:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 150
LOL

Why should Akihabara being involved here XD

Brilliant thinking of those executives XD
 
Jan 31, 2011 4:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 54
dude this is so wrong!!! what does your hobbies have to do with your work skills?! I'm realy happy that I live somewhere which still has long to know what otaku means!!!
 
Jan 31, 2011 4:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1024
Onibokusu said:
kalamity said:
That's terrible discrimination. Denying NEETS (Not Employed, in Education, or Training) jobs just because they like anime is terrible. It's like denying patients access to the doctor's office just because they are contagious. Way to faulty logic -_-;


Protip: Not all NEETs like anime. You'd be silly to assume so.


Oh of course I know that. I was just saying that denying a NEET a job just because he/she so happens to like anime or gal games or eroge or otome games is discrimination. It's wrong to deny someone a job just because you assume they are unproductive due to their hobby.
 
Jan 31, 2011 4:13 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 29497
RedSuisei said:
So, this one escapes me, but what does the connection of people's hobbies and their work skills? Because I've seen a lot of my friends who spend their free time watching anime or playing games but they always do their tasks well.


another reason i can think of is otaku means obsessed, so japanese employers might interpret it as otaku's will be more preoccupied or focused on their obsession rather than their job/work
 
Jan 31, 2011 4:25 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 589
That is just idiotic... What if they wanted to go to Akihabara for the electronics? :P
but yes, apparently no one likes anime otaku =\
 
Jan 31, 2011 4:28 AM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 1445
dtshyk said:
According to Weekly Gendai magazine, one of the executives of Tokyo Metropolitan Television (Tokyo MX) said they are considering self-restraint in airing anime with sexual descriptions. The executive said they cannot neglect the anime and manga regulation ordinance because 4.1% of the stocks of Tokyo MX are held by Tokyo Metropolitan government. Tokyo MX has been popular among young job applicants because they air many core-fan targeted anime. However, Tokyo MX considers rejecting job applicants who like anime reflecting the expected situation caused by the ordinance. "We cannot put a warning 'No Anime Fans Allowed' in the guidelines for applicants. So we are thinking of asking the job applicants 'Where do you take your foreign friend for a sightseeing?' If they answer 'Akihabara', we will kick them out.", the executive said.

Note: In Japan, some anime are aired only on local TV channels because the airing fees of the nationwide channels are expensive. Even if Tokyo MX stops airing anime, residents in Tokyo can watch anime broadcast by the nearby local channels such as TV Kanagawa, TV Saitama and Chiba TV.

Source: Scan of Gendai


I lol'd XD well, I guess this can't be helped, but recently many people got really obsessive about anime & manga stuff, why don't they leave it as it is now?
 
Jan 31, 2011 4:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 373
Doesnt really matter, its just random talks by lowly humans...the otaku race will always be superior...HA! HA! HA!

...orz

心に宿る魂の声が聞こえる...
 
Jan 31, 2011 4:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 488
No matter how I see this, otakus are considered obsessed with anime so the government decides to just kick them from application because the governement believes that all they think about is anime and not their job, but when some work in Japan still work and probably watch anime....

I'm starting to think that certain someone is behind this.


 
Jan 31, 2011 4:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 2623
Noblesse Oblige, may you become the Messiah.
 
Jan 31, 2011 5:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3335
well i guess they r trying to do something about echhi
 
Jan 31, 2011 5:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 3338
The outcome might be interesting. I suppose after some time there'll be something like a revolution and we ( the anime fans) will end up being able to sue anybody we want by just screaming "DISCRIMINATION !!" . Oh , and how does Otaku Saturday sound ?

( I don't mean anything racial discriminating/insulting/etc. , just want to point out history repeating itself. And sorry for the bad english.)
 
Jan 31, 2011 6:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1629
Huh, and the Japanese government wonders why the youth is becoming more introverted, thus the birth rate is going down and the economy's going to the crapper etc.

Man, never have I seen an instance of total cluelessness of why an issue exists than the way Japan treats its youth.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
Jan 31, 2011 6:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 157
I see the rebirth of OVA's on the horizon.

That would be cool.
Sorry for grammar mistakes(if any), english is not my native language. Feel free to correct me if you see some.
 
Jan 31, 2011 6:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 123
RyanSaotome said:
Well its no different from here... if like on a job application, they ask what you do in your free time, and you say something like play World of Warcraft, thats as good as a refusal right there. Otakus arent viewed much different from those types of people here.


This. I suspect a lot of the other people commenting here must be young or never had something better than a McJob. However it's common even here for employers to be wary of applicants who put hobbies such as anime, video games (especially MMO's like World of Warcraft) and other "introverted" or "socially unacceptable" activities. While I agree it's wrong to judge someone by their hobbies -- nor is it really any of their business IMO -- the general population doesn't see it this way. Especially in the corporate world where you're being interviewed by people who are 40+ years old.

Pro-tip: Just don't put it in your application.
 
Jan 31, 2011 7:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 400
Celenas said:
RyanSaotome said:
Well its no different from here... if like on a job application, they ask what you do in your free time, and you say something like play World of Warcraft, thats as good as a refusal right there. Otakus arent viewed much different from those types of people here.


This. I suspect a lot of the other people commenting here must be young or never had something better than a McJob. However it's common even here for employers to be wary of applicants who put hobbies such as anime, video games (especially MMO's like World of Warcraft) and other "introverted" or "socially unacceptable" activities. While I agree it's wrong to judge someone by their hobbies -- nor is it really any of their business IMO -- the general population doesn't see it this way. Especially in the corporate world where you're being interviewed by people who are 40+ years old.

Pro-tip: Just don't put it in your application.


This, so much. Was literally just about to post what you said.
 
Jan 31, 2011 7:17 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
That really doesn't sound so much like the idea it affects their work skills, because to me it seems like this:

Tokyo ordinance to restrict content
->Tokyo MX stock-controlled by metropolitan government and must meet ordinance
->->Deny jobs to people with vested interest in anime because too many of them working there will try to subvert, rebel, or undo what the government did

Is it discrimination? Yes, certainly, but it seems to me that the station is arguing about a supposed Fifth Column rather than it degrading their work skills. It'd be like applying for a job at Wal-Mart and in the interview saying you never shop there, but you do shop at Target.
 
Jan 31, 2011 7:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 491
well this is another terrible thing, I wonder what's next on the list :/


 
Jan 31, 2011 7:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 22118
otakuthon49 said:
No matter how I see this, otakus are considered obsessed with anime so the government decides to just kick them from application because the governement believes that all they think about is anime and not their job, but when some work in Japan still work and probably watch anime....

I'm starting to think that certain someone is behind this.


Since this is close to government sponsored discrimination, we have one very vile, evil, and power hungry governor to blame.

We need someone with the charisma and nature of MLK Jr., Ronald Reagan, and Kennedy to stop this. It has gotten out of hand, it's not about restrictions anymore, it's about establishing a "Final Solution" to get rid of otaku, which could be as bad as just denying employment (which is happening now) or worse imprisonment, sent to a concentration camp (in the disguise of detox or re-education) or death. We need a strong, charismatic person to end this once and for all.


 
Jan 31, 2011 8:00 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 4444
hahahahah they are denying that Akihabara is a tourist attraction to the whole world. maybe I said it wrongly...I meant that they are denying the fact that Akihabara is a tourist attraction in Japan only.

I never been to Akihabara but I seen many Anime showing foreigner going there for sightseeing .I wish to go there when I go to Japan
 
Jan 31, 2011 8:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2954
well thats pretty blatent discrimination, way to be lame japan



"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
 
Jan 31, 2011 8:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 5128
discrimination is O.K.!
 
Jan 31, 2011 9:06 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1024
dtshyk
[b said:

Updated on February 1st
Tokyo MX denied the article of Weekly Gendai and stated that "We don't judge the job applicants by their liking for anime. Please apply to our company without hesitation."

Source: Tokyo MX official blog

I'm glad they retracted that statement. Then again, they had to if they didn't want to cut the number of applications they are receiving down to a third...
 
Jan 31, 2011 9:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 22118
kalamity said:
dtshyk
[b said:

Updated on February 1st
Tokyo MX denied the article of Weekly Gendai and stated that "We don't judge the job applicants by their liking for anime. Please apply to our company without hesitation."

Source: Tokyo MX official blog

I'm glad they retracted that statement. Then again, they had to if they didn't want to cut the number of applications they are receiving down to a third...


It's nice they retracted their statement, I was afraid that the "Final Solution" had began to take shape.


 
Jan 31, 2011 9:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 667
dtshyk said:
So we are thinking of asking the job applicants 'Where do you take your foreign friend for a sightseeing?' If they answer 'Akihabara', we will kick them out.", the executive said.]


but i would want to go there sightseeing first...
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler: http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Find me on Final Fantasy XIV! IGN: Zaiga Heart (Aether Data Center - Faerie Server)
 
Jan 31, 2011 9:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 463
BlackSnake56 said:
thanks to anime and manga regulation ordinance.
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Otaku are outcasts in Japan, that isn't changing anytime soon.
Modified by desolato, Jan 31, 2011 11:32 AM
 
Jan 31, 2011 10:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1150
Japanese otaku should just go with the recent trend and start a revolution~ like build an army of robots and take over Tokyo!

oh right, they're Japanese.. never mind then.
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »