Forum Settings
Forums

FUNimation Sues 1,337 BitTorrent Users Over One Piece

New
Jan 26, 2011 6:56 AM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
In a copyright infringement complaint against 1,337 BitTorrent Users over One Piece has been executed by the North American anime distributor FUNimation Entertainment.
The unidentified defendants, according to the suit filed in the Northern District of Texas, have ''collectively participated, via the internet, in the unlawful reproduction and distribution'' of the 481st episode of One Piece called ''Ace Rescued! Whitebeards Final Order!'' via the BitTorrent file-sharing protocol. The alleged incidents of copyrights infringement took place between 9th of January and 12th of January.

Source: UK Anime
SnowJan 26, 2011 1:56 PM

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 26, 2011 7:02 AM
Apr 2008
This reminds me of how RIAA does things by suing random ppl with asking them to pay
thousand of dollars of damages. (Doesn't get any good results.)
Somehow I quite believe its the producers are pressing Funi to do this.
The PR relation between Funi and anime fan is gonna be nasty.
1337 is a nice number :)
Bottom line
Suing others doesn't solve anything (IMO)
Jan 26, 2011 7:02 AM
Feb 2010
Wow. That's pretty hardcore. They had no good reason for their behavior though, seeing as you can watch one piece legally via simulcast...it just doesn't make sense to illegally distribute it.
Jan 26, 2011 7:04 AM

Dec 2007
rofl, epic fail.
Jan 26, 2011 7:23 AM
Mar 2009
Hah

Good thing I just rent the seasons from netflix.
Jan 26, 2011 7:28 AM

Oct 2007
Babels said:
it just doesn't make sense to illegally distribute it.

The stream is region locked.
Jan 26, 2011 7:30 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
That's leet, Funi still sucks though.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jan 26, 2011 7:32 AM

May 2008
good thing that with my DL speed i wont distribute practically anything in ~2 minutes
Jan 26, 2011 7:34 AM

Sep 2009
Hah

Good thing I don't watch One Piece at all.
Jan 26, 2011 7:36 AM
Jul 2009
ApolloFC said:

netflix is awesome. unlimited anime for like 10-20 bucks a month
Jan 26, 2011 7:37 AM

Jun 2008
scary! i don't want to DL via torrents >.<

Visit our website at http://www.animeotakucorner.com
Jan 26, 2011 7:37 AM

Oct 2007
Sorry, we had to do it to be able to stream Fractale again.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2011 7:38 AM

Jul 2009
Poor, unfortunate scapegoats. Your sacrifice will get Japan off Funi's back.
Jan 26, 2011 7:38 AM

Feb 2010
Lmao I never thought I would say this but wow funi you actually did something awesome.
Jan 26, 2011 7:43 AM
Oct 2009
Is FUNimation trying to be l33t? Yeah, I don't think things will work like this, though you can't say they have no reason to act that way.
Jan 26, 2011 7:46 AM

Sep 2010
pffft. I never liked you Funimation, if that's how you wanna dance, let's dance.
cough.
well that sucks, I never rreally ever watched One Piece though :/ although my friend really really likes. it

Jan 26, 2011 7:54 AM

Oct 2010
How did they tracked 1337 users ??
Jan 26, 2011 7:54 AM
Oct 2010
1,337 - very small number .
Jan 26, 2011 8:12 AM

Jan 2010
People getting charged with piracy over a pirate anime. Isn't that ironic.
Ok™
Jan 26, 2011 8:17 AM

Nov 2009
I laughed when I read that, but truthfully, that really sucks...
Jan 26, 2011 8:22 AM

Jun 2009
1337? Woooooow good thing i don't watch OP.
Jan 26, 2011 8:27 AM
Oct 2010
sankar said:

big brother is watching you .
Jan 26, 2011 8:29 AM
Nov 2010
lol people actually use torrent to download anime ?

I have millions of ways to download anime directly.
Jan 26, 2011 8:40 AM

Apr 2010
Snowical said:
A copyright infringement complaint against 1,337 BitTorrent Users over

somehow i just cant anything in this article seriously...

but ya it is illegial to do that... just no one ever bothers to actualy get anyone for it... dont kno why people whould torrent that show to begin with anyway...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Jan 26, 2011 8:41 AM

Feb 2010
this is funny....really funny xD
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Jan 26, 2011 8:50 AM

Aug 2010
Good thing i have not watched One Piece yet. But 1337? Really? I thought there are more OP lovers out there
Jan 26, 2011 8:53 AM

Nov 2010
sankar said:

Busted the tracker people were using, got the IP, getting names from the ISP will be fun, some ISP's just stick up a big middle finger. If you're that worried about getting caught you can pay for something like BT guard, makes you anonymous.
Jan 26, 2011 8:57 AM

Feb 2010
1337? Looks like FUNi's trying to send us a message...the Internets, I mean.

"A number of BitTorrent websites are explicitly named as "witnesses" in the infringement, including one hugely popular anime-focused BitTorrent site."
Which one? It won't be popular for long.

"FUNimation are[sic] bringing this suit with a view to winning damages of $150,000 as well as costs from the defendants listed..."
In other words, ~$112.19 per person, plus legal costs.
Also, grammar fail.

"This course of action is likely to be controversial amongst anime fans just as similar actions have been with music..."
No joke Sherlock, this will wreak havoc with FUNi's PR and undo millions' worth in advertising, all for $150K, fear from their fans and the attention of real pirates who didn't think of FUNi as a challenge yet.

Now, I try to support the anime industry as I can, both the producers and the distributors, if I can, but times like this just make me wanna *facepalm* ><;;

I mean, these are their fans we're talking about! And don't tell me out of all those 1,000+ people, none of them bought goods related to one piece - DVD sets, posters, figurines, body pillows (Nami, not Luffy =P)...just one sufficiently obsessive fan can spend more then dozens of more casual fans, all on secondary goods. Whether they watch a fansub or on TV makes no difference...actually, scratch that. This is America we're talking here - FUNi kinda butchers One Piece and puts it on TV for prepubescent kids, so...fansubs would actually be far more likely to attract the kind of fan willing to pay for official secondary goods then the TV version.

*sigh* someone tell FUNi there're better ways to make money then mass suing. I hope.
Jan 26, 2011 9:02 AM

Sep 2009
sankar said:

It's who they looked up when they themselves connected to the tracker.

This really is in poor taste. Go after the tracker sites, not the users.
Jan 26, 2011 9:21 AM

Feb 2008
this case will really be annoying and costly to FINi, they know it we know it, and they wont amount to anything. 1337, while a rather amusing number, is not even a drop in the bucket, or even a grain in the sand. they will also probably have to prove that they got the right people, using legal means, and that in fact the people subpoenaed (not sure if that's how you spell it) are actually the ones committed the act. (these days its not hard for people to "ride" on your "unsecured" wireless network lol)

it has been a while since i have seen Goats like these.
Jan 26, 2011 9:26 AM

Nov 2010
DragoZERO said:
sankar said:

agree 100% they don't look as bad and if the site is clever enough they can post the C&D letters and their responses for a good laugh (Kind of like the pirate bay, definitely check out their C&D letters if you haven't)
Jan 26, 2011 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
Shiroth said:
Babels said:

They'd have to be people with American IP addresses to be tried in an American court of law, though, so while it makes sense for people who can't access the stream to download the fansub, it doesn't excuse these people.

blue-y said:
Good thing i have not watched One Piece yet. But 1337? Really? I thought there are more OP lovers out there

It's hard for suits involving thousands of people to go through (honestly I kind of doubt they'll succeed with this many anyway), so Funi just stuck to a small percentage.
As for why they chose to sue 1337 people, eh, probably for teh lulz. Same reason why they probably chose One Piece (1337 pirates sued for pirating a show about pirates).

Anyway, while it's within Funi's rights to do this, they really could've gone about it better. There's no real point in suing these people other than scaring some people away, and there will always be other people who will take the risk (or pay Bittorent to make them anonymous). If the music, movie, and game industries couldn't succeed at anything bigger than individual lawsuits, I really doubt Funi's going to get anywhere here.
Jan 26, 2011 9:37 AM

Aug 2010
sankar said:
Through your IP address.
Takahiro Sakurai = <3
Jan 26, 2011 9:48 AM

Jan 2011
Just another reason to hate Funimation, if you ask me.

They're even worse than Beez Entertainment, for christ's sake!
Jan 26, 2011 9:51 AM
Oct 2009
I cant believe people still pay to watch anime, or even better, STREAMED anime.

It still gets me everytime
Jan 26, 2011 9:54 AM

Aug 2008
Jan 26, 2011 9:59 AM

Oct 2009
SuperSaiyen said:
lol people actually use torrent to download anime ?

I have millions of ways to download anime directly.
I bet you still use the VLC player!

Yes, people use torrents since it's usually better than DDLs
Jan 26, 2011 10:10 AM

Nov 2008
that's freakin scary
Jan 26, 2011 10:13 AM

Feb 2009
waran4 said:
Hah

Good thing I don't watch One Piece at all.
Jan 26, 2011 10:17 AM
Nov 2010
Gogetters said:

no it isn't. Same files but you get it faster. Also, you don't get your IP traced directly.
Jan 26, 2011 10:56 AM
May 2009
SuperSaiyen said:
no it isn't. Same files but you get it faster. Also, you don't get your IP traced directly.

There is nothing faster than torrent for a new release. But it's true that ddl is "safer" if you don't have some "know-how". But then again, torrent is a much more convenient to use, especially if you want more than just one thing. Also you are guaranteed to have no dl-error, as that will be detected, unlike with ddl.

That aside, I kinda wonder why this hasn't happened much before. I know that some torrents were known for attracting simple C&D's but this... hm.
Shouldn't concern those outside their stream-area (only US?) though.
Jan 26, 2011 11:07 AM

May 2007
As long as they didn't sue anyone outside of the USA I have no pity.
My anime list
Jan 26, 2011 11:14 AM

Jan 2009
I wish FUNimation and every company that dub and sub anime in America will die, together with every company that dub and sub in my country.
Jan 26, 2011 11:15 AM

Sep 2009
Kvakond said:
YEEHAA

Supporting the industry they like.
Those crazy fucks.

Kiru_im_Ufo said:
SuperSaiyen said:

There is nothing faster than torrent for a new release. But it's true that ddl is "safer" if you don't have some "know-how". But then again, torrent is a much more convenient to use, especially if you want more than just one thing. Also you are guaranteed to have no dl-error, as that will be detected, unlike with ddl.

That aside, I kinda wonder why this hasn't happened much before. I know that some torrents were known for attracting simple C&D's but this... hm.
Shouldn't concern those outside their stream-area (only US?) though.

False security is false.
If they want to get you they will.

Probably won't effect anyone else though. If you are worried stick to the legal means. Only watch shows that aren't legally available. Aka....use Crunchyroll and Funi for all the shows this season. And just use the magic of patience to get it a week after release or pay for it.

Vex_Light said:

Congratulations. Your wish has been granted!
WHATS THIS? It's evolving....
You just killed the industry in North America and elsewhere!

Now there won't be huge deals on products because it's a niche market.
There will no longer be conventions.
No longer will you be able to buy anime related products online. It's to expensive to keep open a market that has no followers.
Wanted to stream that new episode of One Piece? Ah. To fucking bad. Fansubbers just don't care anymore because only like twelve people watch their stuff.

Shiroth said:
Babels said:

Good thing they only sued people who it isn't region locked for, eh?

Bostonblows said:
sankar said:

Busted the tracker people were using, got the IP, getting names from the ISP will be fun, some ISP's just stick up a big middle finger. If you're that worried about getting caught you can pay for something like BT guard, makes you anonymous.

False Security!
BT Guard is easily broken by anyone with a few dollars to spare.
Just sign up for a new IP and bam! You have beat the high tech security of "Blocking IP adresses of known whistleblowers"

DragoZERO said:
sankar said:

Go after the gun! It killed them not I. The person who pulled the trigger.

It's a small small fine. A hundred bucks and then some per person. A speeding ticket for doing something wrong, to say.
They couldn't actually legally say it's a warning. The law wouldn't allow them to sue over that. So say it's lost profits and bam. Allowed to sue.

It's a message though. They are watching and they won't put up with bullshit.
Anyone who could have watched it legally but didn't because of "Quality issues" has self righteousnesses issues and deserves a fine slapped in their face.
SabinleroseJan 26, 2011 11:25 AM
Jan 26, 2011 11:23 AM

Jul 2007
"The complaint specifically mentions the BitTorrent sites isohunt.com, kickasstorrents.com and nyaatorrents.org as potentially playing a role in the sharing process. Funimation is requesting that the defendants pay damages and destroy all the works they’ve downloaded using BitTorrent."

http://torrentfreak.com/anime-distributor-launches-piracy-assault-sues-1337-bittorrent-users-110126/
Jan 26, 2011 11:39 AM
Jan 2010
Did they purposely get find 1,337 people exact, because that's lol (leet).
Jan 26, 2011 11:49 AM

Oct 2009
McRib said:
People getting charged with piracy over a pirate anime. Isn't that ironic.

^ This. And I feel sorry for them.
Jan 26, 2011 11:49 AM

Sep 2010
Yeah, the number 1337 is the only thing I lol'd at.
The other stuff is serious. But do they really think this will make a difference?

We can't change the world with Anime...

…but we'll try

Vote for your favorite K-ON songs here
Jan 26, 2011 11:58 AM

Jun 2009
as a funimation fan i have to admit: this was a really dick move they pulled. there's also the chance this action could cost them they're fans (not me since i never download :P) as well as get some glaring eyes from other anime fans and non-supporters. i wonder if funi will find a way out of this mess they made.

Vex_Light said:
I wish FUNimation and every company that dub and sub anime in America will die, together with every company that dub and sub in my country.

WORST CASE SCENARIO!

seriously if that happened, the anime industry (the fanbase as a whole possibly) would crumble to the ground everywhere. do you really want that to happen? idiot

danisl17 said:
I cant believe people still pay to watch anime, or even better, STREAMED anime.

It still gets me everytime

maybe it's because we want to watch anime LEGALLY. torrents including since the downloading will take long and the files might possibly get accidently erased. just saying.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Jan 26, 2011 12:02 PM

Oct 2008
1. It only reflects the yibis release.
2. They can't do anything to non-US IPs. The reason Fractale producers got on Funi, is that they only have control in their region. Funi has control in the US.
3. No sites or trackers can be targeted if they are hosted on a server not in the US. If the people behind the scenes live in the US, they can be targeted... but there are ways to hide yourself.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 12 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
11 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

14 by deg »»
41 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
5 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Today

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.