Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
#1
Jan 24, 2011 9:31 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1870
According to FUNimation they announced that they will continue streaming the anime serie Fractale
Read why Fractale was removed Here.
Episode 2 will be streamed today at 10:45 a.m CST and a new episode will be shown each Thursday as usual.

Source: FUNimation's blog
Modified by Prizkilla, Jan 24, 2011 2:42 PM
 
#2
Jan 24, 2011 9:51 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 8507
AHAHAHA They might have overlooked the illegal uploaders so that Yamamoto wont retire. His drama works after all xDD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 
#3
Jan 24, 2011 10:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 488
Figures that they would continue streaming it.


 
 
#4
Jan 24, 2011 10:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 3339
well good for them
 
#5
Jan 24, 2011 10:10 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 5382
lol who got fired?
 
#6
Jan 24, 2011 10:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 342
(b^^)b

I'll start watching Fractale on FUNi's website starting with thursday's episode, to show support for it. ^^

Of course...I'll probably get a fansub after it's done airing. But still.
 
#7
Jan 24, 2011 10:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 280
In recent days we have been diligently tracking the online illegal distribution of the anime series Fractale and on behalf of the rights holders we have been taking the appropriate legal action. As a result, we now have the approval of the Fractale production committee to stream episode 2 of the series starting today.


Congratulation to FUNimation for achieving something what no one else could: stopping fansubbing and illegal distribution of animes online. Wait...how did I watch Fractale Episode 2? Oh...they didn't achieve anything...
...and the Fractale producers also didn't achieve anything...
...what was the fucking point of this whole charade?
 
#8
Jan 24, 2011 10:38 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1129
And all of the HD ripped fansubbed versions are still on the internet.

So much for their crusade.
Ok™
 
#9
Jan 24, 2011 10:48 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 690
thank goodness. i do not want to watch fansubs for this show
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Find me on Final Fantasy XIV! IGN: Zaiga Heart (Crystal Data Center - Mateus Server)
 
 
Jan 24, 2011 11:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 294
Good for Funi this crap didn't even last a week and now they going to stream it again. Well like mljato said "what was the fucking point of this whole charade?" I would like to know that too.

Still sticking with the Fansubs of this much better quality all around.
 
Jan 24, 2011 11:18 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 678
This show is trying to get attention in so many ways... I think it's pretty interesting by itself, they shouldn't use those subtle tricks to make people talk about it.

tl;dr: obvious outcome is obvious.
 
Jan 24, 2011 11:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 67608
good news for them, the Japanese should consider the internet as a way to promote their anime, because the more people know their anime the more potential buyers of their products, and i say taking advantage of the internet's streaming capability is a good start for the Japanese studio's to infiltrate world wide audience, next consideration for them is to make a CrunchyRoll like site
 
Jan 24, 2011 11:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 7012
mljato said:
In recent days we have been diligently tracking the online illegal distribution of the anime series Fractale and on behalf of the rights holders we have been taking the appropriate legal action. As a result, we now have the approval of the Fractale production committee to stream episode 2 of the series starting today.


Congratulation to FUNimation for achieving something what no one else could: stopping fansubbing and illegal distribution of animes online. Wait...how did I watch Fractale Episode 2? Oh...they didn't achieve anything...
...and the Fractale producers also didn't achieve anything...
...what was the fucking point of this whole charade?
Maybe as a PR exercise to get more people to watch it on the Funimation Channel?

I'm British, though, and breaking the region protection via proxy is technically illegal, just like using a fansub, so viva UTW! I will watch legally if I think a show is a good enough and it is on Crunchyroll (Hourou Musuko, for example), where Brits can actually watch without the need of a proxy.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
 
 
Jan 24, 2011 11:42 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 930
This whole thing is a PR stunt.

However, advertising does little if the product is crap.
 
Jan 24, 2011 11:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 135
Logic prevails in the end.

Idiot : "Derp, lets stop streaming Fractale to teach those illegal uploaders a lesson"

Reasonable Person : "No wait, that will just graitfy the illegal uploading further by making the legal alternative inaccessible. If anything we should be providing a BETTER service in order to offset the spread of illegal anime distribution"

I dislike anime streaming in the first place and only watch a few shows streamed when there is no other alternative for me. Funimation also still refuse to let people in my region watch their streams anyway. I guess it's still fansubs and DVDs for me. They've finally started bringing out some good anime on DVD in my area. Even picked up Durarara episodes 1-9 the other day. The sub quality isn't great (timing and typesetting are the problems, the TL is fine) but it's nice just to legally own a good anime.
 
Jan 24, 2011 11:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 904
This has Marketing Ploy written ALL over this story. And it Worked, big time. People who weren't even thinking about watching series is now interested in it. Good job who ever thought of this.
 
Jan 24, 2011 11:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 472
It's a damn shame they have to give this show such a bad name, since it was actually pretty interested in it to begin with. Between Yamamoto's dorama and the crusade against internet heathens, they just seem like a bunch of little bitches.

I just hope the production doesn't suffer as a result.

P.S. 360p STREAM with mediocre subs? No not ever thanks, brb argggh matey.
 
 
Jan 24, 2011 12:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 72
McRib said:
And all of the HD ripped fansubbed versions are still on the internet.

So much for their crusade.
What I don't understand is how can they not actually find and do something about them? Especially if, according to what I've heard, some of the CR translators are ex-fansubbers - I mean, they of all people should know how and where to google in search for those links (it's ridiculously easy and that way they could remove at least the majority of them). Or is it that they can't do anything about fansubbing?

On a side note, the fansub version is a million times better :D
 
Jan 24, 2011 1:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 947
lol americans are stuborn as usual

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
 
Jan 24, 2011 2:12 PM
Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 409
You know, when this story first came to light, I'm sure I wasn't the only one to see Funi as the victim. I certainly appreciate the efforts Funi puts in to making simulcasts possible, and being asked to police the internet seemed plenty unreasonable. But after reading their blog post that tried to throw blame onto the pirates, I feel substantially less sympathetic. Seriously, there would be no anime market outside of Japan if it were not for such piracy, and if you haven't figured out how to make your business work around it after 10+ years of the common practice, then you're not exactly earning my respect. I had watched the first episode of Fractale on Funi's site. Now I intend to go out of my way to watch UTW.
 
Jan 24, 2011 2:32 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 31
people say it was just a PR move

but am i the only one who was interested in fractale prior to this whole fiasco and am now so utterly disgusted that i don't plan to watch it at all now?

i mean it seems to me that something like this alienate viewers rather than draws viewers

or am i just smarter than the average anime fan
 
Jan 24, 2011 2:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 342
iSee said:
McRib said:
And all of the HD ripped fansubbed versions are still on the internet.

So much for their crusade.
What I don't understand is how can they not actually find and do something about them? Especially if, according to what I've heard, some of the CR translators are ex-fansubbers - I mean, they of all people should know how and where to google in search for those links (it's ridiculously easy and that way they could remove at least the majority of them). Or is it that they can't do anything about fansubbing?

On a side note, the fansub version is a million times better :D


There are various legal reasons they don't\can't do anything about fansubbers. It's not unusual for a fansubbing group to have people from multiple continents, let alone countries, who work off and on on the same projects together. Identifying them each personally, as well as defining what extent they had in the subbing, is very difficult. After that, you've still got the question of seeders, if it's released via torrent. Can they be prosecuted or not? Would it be worth it? Even after figuring out everything else, they really can't legally pursue them as a whole, as there's always another loophole in cases this complicated which keeps them apart (legally,) and trying them individually would cost a ridiculous amount of money, not to mention the subbers might have to be deported to Japan for that to happen.

I mean, there's just too much to do, too much money to spend, and there's no way, even at the most pessimistic, that piracy can negatively effect an anime so badly that it'd be worth it.
 
Jan 24, 2011 2:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3268
ios said:
good news for them, the Japanese should consider the internet as a way to promote their anime, because the more people know their anime the more potential buyers of their products, and i say taking advantage of the internet's streaming capability is a good start for the Japanese studio's to infiltrate world wide audience, next consideration for them is to make a CrunchyRoll like site
http://neojaponisme.com/2009/05/19/the-fear-of-the-internet/

Also, it doesn't help that someone in Japan already launched a service that allows people to pay whatever they want for complete (digital) volumes of Love Hina and didn't make anything from it.
 
Jan 24, 2011 2:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 2954
lol i figured this would happen...



"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
 
 
Jan 24, 2011 3:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 2151
lol...horriblesubs should be happy now xD
Modified by Cashdax, Jan 24, 2011 3:22 PM
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."


 
Jan 24, 2011 3:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 908
Thank God!

I didn't wanna DL this, anyway.
 
Jan 24, 2011 3:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 1331
Warden said:
people say it was just a PR move

but am i the only one who was interested in fractale prior to this whole fiasco and am now so utterly disgusted that i don't plan to watch it at all now?

i mean it seems to me that something like this alienate viewers rather than draws viewers

or am i just smarter than the average anime fan
If you're specifically talking about the FUNimation part, "disgust" seems a bit extreme. The whole thing was rather silly, but I don't see how it got anything more than a "lol, whatever" out of anybody. Now if Yamakan's raving is your problem, I agree. I can't imagine someone like that sincerely trying to spread around messages about human warmth and whatnot.
 
Jan 24, 2011 4:22 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 330
Well i like funimation because they have a lot of good animes for free, subbed on youtube. =]
 
Jan 24, 2011 5:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 472
Jog said:
Well i like funimation because they have a lot of good animes for free, subbed on youtube. =]


I like fan subbers because they have a lot of good anime for free, in HD, with better translations and not streamshit.
 
 
Jan 24, 2011 5:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 536
Why are they so full of shit?
 
Jan 24, 2011 6:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 754
Anything for a hype eh?

*continues to download cause streaming is bad for the eyes*

Banner made by suikka
 
Jan 24, 2011 7:17 PM
Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 67608
llxwarbirdxll said:
ios said:
good news for them, the Japanese should consider the internet as a way to promote their anime, because the more people know their anime the more potential buyers of their products, and i say taking advantage of the internet's streaming capability is a good start for the Japanese studio's to infiltrate world wide audience, next consideration for them is to make a CrunchyRoll like site
http://neojaponisme.com/2009/05/19/the-fear-of-the-internet/

Also, it doesn't help that someone in Japan already launched a service that allows people to pay whatever they want for complete (digital) volumes of Love Hina and didn't make anything from it.


lol never thought Japanese are so paranoid about the internet, well their lost if they dont take advantage of the internet
 
Jan 24, 2011 8:31 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 201
It's hard to get rid of fansubbers, coz they're on the border line. Even a torrent site or fansubbing site, it takes time and money to close them down... the show will then be finished airing by then lol...

A company loses money from piracy... but they lose even more fighting against piracy.
 
 
Jan 24, 2011 8:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 1209
Lol. Nice work Funi for pulling that statement outta your ass seriously they haven't done anything
 
Jan 24, 2011 9:11 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2097
WHAT WAS THE POINT?!?! Now all you have done is sent fans to UTW's sub of it instead of a legit release. In what world is this good PR?
My anime list
 
Jan 24, 2011 9:20 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4845
Paladin65536 said:


There are various legal reasons they don'tcan't do anything about fansubbers. It's not unusual for a fansubbing group to have people from multiple continents, let alone countries, who work off and on on the same projects together. Identifying them each personally, as well as defining what extent they had in the subbing, is very difficult. After that, you've still got the question of seeders, if it's released via torrent. Can they be prosecuted or not? Would it be worth it? Even after figuring out everything else, they really can't legally pursue them as a whole, as there's always another loophole in cases this complicated which keeps them apart (legally,) and trying them individually would cost a ridiculous amount of money, not to mention the subbers might have to be deported to Japan for that to happen.

I mean, there's just too much to do, too much money to spend, and there's no way, even at the most pessimistic, that piracy can negatively effect an anime so badly that it'd be worth it.
Those are all good points on why this is such a hard business to take down. Most fansubbers who actually relent when given C&D letters ussually do it to keep a bit of moral high ground. "We will sub until they tell us to stop" basically. Others just go further into hiding and digging them out, let alone taking them to court, is not easy at all. Even going against the sites that distribute the torrents themselves is no easy thing. A lot of countries have lax or no laws over Internet distribution.

All in all you can certainly see why the music industry decided to just throw random lawsuits at people caught downloading music. All they could do was try to scare people, it's an almost impossible task to take down piracy entirely.
Modified by Leon-Gun, Jan 24, 2011 9:25 PM

 
Jan 25, 2011 6:46 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 72
Paladin65536 said:

There are various legal reasons they don'tcan't do anything about fansubbers. It's not unusual for a fansubbing group to have people from multiple continents, let alone countries, who work off and on on the same projects together. Identifying them each personally, as well as defining what extent they had in the subbing, is very difficult. After that, you've still got the question of seeders, if it's released via torrent. Can they be prosecuted or not? Would it be worth it? Even after figuring out everything else, they really can't legally pursue them as a whole, as there's always another loophole in cases this complicated which keeps them apart (legally,) and trying them individually would cost a ridiculous amount of money, not to mention the subbers might have to be deported to Japan for that to happen.
I see, so it's not just about finding their websites, torrents, file sharing services links, IRC channels/bots etc. Why do they even bother trying to fight it then? If indeed, they aren't simply trying to bluff and intimidate...

Paladin65536 said:
I mean, there's just too much to do, too much money to spend, and there's no way, even at the most pessimistic, that piracy can negatively effect an anime so badly that it'd be worth it.
Haha, definitely. Especially in this case.
 
Jan 25, 2011 8:15 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 135
If the legal alternative was even half as high quality as the fansubs then I might consider it but

Fansubs
-Often HD, High quality encodes
-Often professional timing, typesetting and solid translations
-Downloadable mp4/mkv/avi files allowing you to enjoy the episode on your own terms

Legal Streams
-Often low quality FLVs with low resolution
-Usually bad typesetting, literal translations and too much americanised language
-Slow, region locked streams which you have to load every time you want to watch

If the legal alternative was a HD download service with subbing of an equal (or even NEARLY equal) quality as fansub groups then I would be in heaven. It's not even about "Fansubs are free" any more. I would gladly pay a subscription fee or an episode-by-episode cost if they could legally distribute good quality subs of the shows.

Fansubbing has been around for so long it's like an industry in itself in terms of standards and professional levels of production. And its run by fans. Fans who work for nothing. If a corporation cannot hire people to produce something of an equal quality, then they are not providing a service at a satisfactory level in my opinion. As I say, if it was even half as good as a fansub I would consider it but as it stands there is no way for me to Support the anime industry without runing my own enjoyment of the anime itself other than buying DVDs.

I wish I could go and tell all this directly to someone who would listen and could make a difference like some higher-up at Funimation or a british equivalent. :p
 
Jan 25, 2011 1:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1169
LOL @ all the people who bitched about it being taken down.
 
 
Jan 25, 2011 5:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 831
zansabarshadow said:
thank goodness. i do not want to watch fansubs for this show


That's a first.
 
Jan 25, 2011 11:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 7804
Like I said, Funimation do love their noitaminA!
 
Jan 26, 2011 12:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1570
In other news:

http://www.japanator.com/funimation-suing-1337-people-over-one-piece-481-18346.phtml

Funi now has my support.
Essentially a hundred bucks each.
A very very fair number.

Remember remember the 25th of january. The day Funi fought 1337 pirates over a show about pirates.
 
Feb 16, 2011 1:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 42
Well for me streaming donsen't come as option from any provider as for country code... And streaming 310p is pointles if you have fansub providing 720p cristal clear picture. Not to mention if you have bad internet line as me you cant stream at all or you wait 2 h to preload wich is not streaming it's dl and watching later with nouncense of keeping brovser up for no reson. Long live fansubs. Or provider that finaly realises we don't want to hang on streaming solutions.
 
Feb 16, 2011 7:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 1570
uiosi said:
Well for me streaming donsen't come as option from any provider as for country code... And streaming 310p is pointles if you have fansub providing 720p cristal clear picture. Not to mention if you have bad internet line as me you cant stream at all or you wait 2 h to preload wich is not streaming it's dl and watching later with nouncense of keeping brovser up for no reson. Long live fansubs. Or provider that finaly realises we don't want to hang on streaming solutions.

If your internet is that bad, how can you justify downloading?
Downloading a file would be a lot larger and take longer.
Never understood that excuse at all.
 
 
Feb 16, 2011 9:55 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 342
Sabinlerose said:
uiosi said:
Well for me streaming donsen't come as option from any provider as for country code... And streaming 310p is pointles if you have fansub providing 720p cristal clear picture. Not to mention if you have bad internet line as me you cant stream at all or you wait 2 h to preload wich is not streaming it's dl and watching later with nouncense of keeping brovser up for no reson. Long live fansubs. Or provider that finaly realises we don't want to hang on streaming solutions.

If your internet is that bad, how can you justify downloading?
Downloading a file would be a lot larger and take longer.
Never understood that excuse at all.

When you stream, you can only watch it once, and you have to watch it right away. When you DL, you can DL a day or two in advance (or a week, whatever) and then watch at your leisure. DLing usually gives better picture\sound, also. It's a fairly legitimate excuse, at least in terms of internet connectivity.

Also, he can't stream the anime he wants to see in his country, so he probably lives outside North America. If the anime he wants isn't even for sale in his country, then he can't possibly hurt the industry by DLing.

That said, when the option is available, I do recommend streaming from the distributor's site. Only way I know of that directly supports the industry without spending a penny.
 
Feb 16, 2011 6:39 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 4845
Sabinlerose said:
uiosi said:
Well for me streaming donsen't come as option from any provider as for country code... And streaming 310p is pointles if you have fansub providing 720p cristal clear picture. Not to mention if you have bad internet line as me you cant stream at all or you wait 2 h to preload wich is not streaming it's dl and watching later with nouncense of keeping brovser up for no reson. Long live fansubs. Or provider that finaly realises we don't want to hang on streaming solutions.

If your internet is that bad, how can you justify downloading?
Downloading a file would be a lot larger and take longer.
Never understood that excuse at all.
Some people's connections have horrible spikes meaning the stream would start and stop over and over and over. I know this because my old ISP was like that and whenever I was watching streams I would just let the stream load and then watch it all so it would not stop mid-way.

While yes that's not really an excuse to snub the stream it does makes you think, if you already have to wait a download time to see it, why not just download a better version? The advantage of streaming is the ability to see it instantly, once that advantage is removed there's no advantage over permanent downloads that you will actually have.

I might also add, maybe I just have my settings wrong but whenever I try to watch 720p video on streams like youtube's the video downloads horribly slow, much slower than a 720p video file would download truly.
Modified by Leon-Gun, Feb 16, 2011 6:42 PM

 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.