Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 22, 2011 5:05 PM

Jun 2009
It’s only the second episode, but I can surely say I absolutely love this ♥ I get a blissful feeling while watching all this time.

It’s strange how the characters are so well-developed in such a short amount of time. I find Takatsuki’s and Saori’s relationship quite interesting, both contrast each other nicely. And I found myself squealing at Maho and Seya’s interactions, as weird as it sounds.

So basically, I adore everything so far. I’m really happy I picked this up.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jan 22, 2011 7:08 PM

Oct 2006
billng said:
Im surprised they dont notice the dude in the skirt. O_O

These kids are so gender confused!!! Regular BL is funnier but this is just plain disturbing. :l

What are you talking about?
Jan 22, 2011 8:56 PM

Apr 2008
billng said:
Im surprised they dont notice the dude in the skirt. O_O

These kids are so gender confused!!! Regular BL is funnier but this is just plain disturbing. :l

Um...Wow. Way to completely miss the point of...Oh, say, EVERYTHING? :/ Just stop watching now if the term "transgender" is too much for you to wrap your head around.
Jan 22, 2011 9:49 PM

Nov 2009
It's a very peaceful mood :s
Jan 22, 2011 10:57 PM

Jan 2011
Okay, I've completely lost track of who's who and what's going on. In addition to that, I think this might be too queer for me after all. I've seen enough of the gorgeous art style, and now I'm dropping Hourou Musuko.
Jan 23, 2011 5:09 AM

May 2009
Oh, explaining things with flashbacks don't always work, but that was done well. Certainly better than the first episode, though I still absolutely hate Nitori's voice acting. Do we even know who the voice actor is?
Jan 23, 2011 12:54 PM

May 2008
I think I heard Nakai Kazuya as the teacher, but correct me if he isn't. :D
I loved this episode a lot and the flashback nearing the end cleared a lot of things for me.
I'm loving this so far~
Jan 24, 2011 2:31 PM
Nov 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
Hey cool, found out that this show, although not the first one, uses real landscape: http://tianlang2.s206.xrea.com/Hourou-Musuko.htm someone compared. That's good because it will make the show more realistic bearing in mind it actually took real landscape from proven photos.

that's awesome!!
really liking it so far, had a bit of trouble getting who's who at first, but from now on I think it can be fully enjoyed
the art and animation quality is just mind blowing!
Jan 24, 2011 9:37 PM

Jun 2008
Good episode but I still feel kinda lost. Gonna read the manga in the meantime.

Jan 25, 2011 3:22 AM

Oct 2008
I really enjoyed this episode. I'm glad I went and read the manga because I now I understand what's going on. I think they're doing a nice job of translating it to anime but I'm still not sure if not starting from the beginning of the story was the best choice.

I'd definitely recommend reading the manga to anyone who is liking the anime so far! The anime starts at around chapter 33/34 so if you'd like to know what happens before hand...
Jan 25, 2011 11:20 AM

Aug 2008
Seems like they're part of the same clique now huh?
Love this episode! Things seem to be picking up.
Jan 25, 2011 3:35 PM

Aug 2009
The first ep was very confusing, but this ep was quite nice (yes, I can distinguish the characters+genders now, too).
Nice kind of slight drama, liked it.
Looking forward to next ep!
Jan 26, 2011 1:52 PM

Apr 2010
Yumekichi11 said:
Hey cool, found out that this show, although not the first one, uses real landscape: http://tianlang2.s206.xrea.com/Hourou-Musuko.htm someone compared. That's good because it will make the show more realistic bearing in mind it actually took real landscape from proven photos.
K-on had the same thing.
I like watching pictures like that it's pretty impressive how they made everything look so much like the real thing.
It's also refreshing to see the real thing as most of us probably never been to Japan.

The KFC became the FFC tho...
Jan 27, 2011 9:12 AM

Nov 2009
Another story with complex relationships. The gender identity topic is still a bit awkward.
All in all it's still an interesting series.

Reminds me of Honey & Clover. Just that it has an extra twist to it.

So far I can only tell who's who by face. I can barely remember their names.
Jan 30, 2011 6:49 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, I liked the whole flashback thing. Nice to get a bit more character development in there :P
Don't really have that much to say but it's quite enjoyable to watch
Chi - chan is awesome lol XD
Feb 1, 2011 9:38 PM

Apr 2009
I really need to reread the first few volumes :/ Its been quite a while since I have.

BTW, is there any transgendered individuals on here watching this series? I'm particularly interested on your opinions on the series, especially considering that this is a topic that is almost never addressed in anime, or many other mediums actually
Feb 1, 2011 10:07 PM
Sep 2007
darkzero999 said:
Another story with complex relationships. The gender identity topic is still a bit awkward.
All in all it's still an interesting series.

Reminds me of Honey & Clover. Just that it has an extra twist to it.

So far I can only tell who's who by face. I can barely remember their names.

Oh yes! Honey and Clover!
Sorry if I am making a sweeping statement.. but up until now based on what I know of, there isn't any slice of life anime with a very compelling and realistic conflict like Hourou Musuko (Takatsuki - Chiba) apart from Honey and Clover..
Honey and Clover I think was a masterpiece. That's why I am expecting big things for this anime
Feb 2, 2011 1:45 AM

Oct 2006
HikariAce said:
I really need to reread the first few volumes :/ Its been quite a while since I have.

BTW, is there any transgendered individuals on here watching this series? I'm particularly interested on your opinions on the series, especially considering that this is a topic that is almost never addressed in anime, or many other mediums actually

Check out the MangaFox forums for this series. There are a few trans people posting there afaik.
Feb 10, 2011 1:08 AM

Feb 2010
funny and heartwarming episode... <3
Mar 29, 2011 12:23 AM

Mar 2009
The relationships between characters are interesting.
Jan 4, 2012 7:41 AM

May 2009
So good!

Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.

Feb 22, 2012 4:21 PM

Dec 2009
Damn, those girls should have boobs or something, sometimes I can't tell if it's a boy or girl. And I still don't like the anime.
Nov 19, 2012 10:44 AM

May 2012
Nice pace in this episode actually, it's quite a decent story development but lets hope they won't fuck it up! Lets see where this goes!
May 10, 2013 3:51 PM

Oct 2011
Still need to learn everyone's name x_x Enjoying it so far though, but definitely thinking of reading the manga so I get to see all the backstory.
Aug 14, 2013 10:05 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I liked the character interactions in this episode, I think the fight between Chiba and Takatsuki is very realistic, something elementary schoolers would fight over, and although it's not really solved properly, I think it's like with a lot of conflicts between friends, how you just learn to move on. Poor Sasa having to deal with the awkwardness between Takatsuki and Chiba though. At least now they're all friends :) (Still, Chiba has kind of an annoying attitude :/) lol at the sister banging her bento box when that guy who seems to like her told her that she shouldn't take her anger out on it.
Dec 30, 2013 4:26 PM

Jan 2013
cool episode
'"Hearts, you say? You Humans are always so quick to speak of such things. As though you carry your hearts in the very palms of your hands. But this eye of mine perceives all. There is nothing that it overlooks. If this eye cannot see a thing, then it does not exist. That is the assumption under which I have always fought. What is this "heart"? If I tear open that chest of yours, will I see it there? If I smash open that skull of yours, will I see it there?4th Espada

May 1, 2014 12:27 AM

Jun 2011
Rhypo said:
Des said:
Was there a guy in the class wearing a girls uniform or was that actually a girl? :P
Do you mean that crossdressing girl our crossdressing protagonist has a crush on?

I think you mean Sarashina, the "cool" one, a girl.
Nitori has a crush on Takatsuki.
Jun 24, 2014 4:45 AM

Nov 2011
I would say how great episode.
Plot that starts to build up in a very detailed, the context in which the characters move, giving a good characterization of the secondary characters.
Narration, calm and very real.
The drawings and animations are a splendor, beautiful scenery.
I still have a bit of difficulty in memorizing names, but that's okay.
May 28, 2015 8:50 PM

Jun 2013
Really good episode again! I like how unique the animation is :)
Mar 7, 2016 5:01 AM

Jan 2014
So is that girl who's always with Chi-chan a boy?
Mar 27, 2016 3:13 AM

Jun 2013
From the second episode I was able to pick the following:

Nitori is a biological boy who identifies as a girl and loves wearing girls clothes but he's in love with Takatsuki who is a girl.

Takatsuki is a biological girl who probably also identifies as a boy but probably holds some feelings for Nitori but is holding back (this is just my assumption).

Chiba Saori is a girl who identifies as a girl and like most girls falls in love with Nitori but is upset with Takatsuki because for reasons.

Makoto is a biological boy who, like Nitori, also identifies as a girl and wishes to dress like a girl but unlike Nitori, he may be homosexual too and fancies their teacher.

Sasa-chan is friends with Takatsuki and Saori and wishes that they make up because she's the middleman and is struggling with their cold attitude towards each other.

This is a really great series. I'm getting excited for the next episode :)
臭い-
Dec 25, 2018 7:29 PM

Jun 2016
The teachers give no fucks
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2018 2:14 PM

Oct 2012
This is really good, so far I like the characters and pacing better than Koi Kaze
Jan 1, 2019 3:43 PM

Oct 2016
I want to enjoy this fully, but I am so confused on who is who. I'm getting confused on who each character is and who identifies as what, or who is confused about identification. I'm so lost.
Feb 12, 2019 8:31 PM

Jun 2015
^ same as the above people. i feel like i'd enjoy this more if i had more clarification on who is who, what they all identify as, and who they like.
Apr 21, 2019 8:50 PM

Apr 2019
Rhypo said:
Des said:
Was there a guy in the class wearing a girls uniform or was that actually a girl? :P
Do you mean that crossdressing girl our crossdressing protagonist has a crush on?

neither of them are crossdressing, they're transgender
Apr 5, 2022 8:39 PM

Jun 2014
Not a lot of progress in this episode, however, the interactions between the characters is somewhat interesting.

Jul 10, 2023 11:59 PM

Feb 2019
So I'm starting to understand the situation here. Correct me if I'm wrong but:

• Nitori, Saori, and Takatsuki used to be friends in middle school
  • Nitori confessed to Takatsuki
  • Saori likes Nitori, that's why she started hating Takatsuki (?)

I think that's it, still trying to wrap my head around why Saori hates Takatsuki that much when Takatsuki didn't really do anything to be hated except being liked by Nitori.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Aversa - Mar 10, 2011

61 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 8:02 PM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 17, 2011

56 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hannah_Ana - Jan 27, 2011

88 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jan 13, 2011

259 by Jonas-K »»
Mar 29, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Samu-tan - Mar 31, 2011

134 by Baskarite »»
Nov 13, 2023 11:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.