Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 27, 2014 9:02 PM

Nov 2013
This series I really like! It's getting me fired up to think about writing again. Seeing these guys and what drives them is inspiring!

For the first dozen episodes of Bakuman, everyone painted the impression that Eiji Nizuma was conceited and a nasty person. My initial impressions were that he's ultra hyper-active. If he were in the US, he'd be put on Ritalin. But he's a classic example of that saying "genius is one step away from insanity".

In later episodes, I've come to like his personna. He's not conceited, and he welcomes competition because it drives him to work harder. Everyone else was intimidated by him because of his superstar status as a manga artist, being published and serialized, but when we get to 'meet' him for the first time around episode 13-14 we learn that the preconceptions people had were all wrong.

And I gotta love what he did with the first prize money that he won--he's got good taste in audio.. anyone that places priority on good sound and goes out and buys a good audio system is a good guy in my book! Those are Bowers and Wilkins 800 Series Diamond loudspeakers in Cherry Wood cabinets. A pair of those goes for a cool $24,000. If he has a similar investment in the front end, and assuming he spent all the prize money, he must have gotten $50,000 in award money for his manga entry. That's a princely sum of cash! Eiji Nizuma, you rock!

Bakuman just keeps getting better with each episode!
basspigMar 28, 2014 1:10 AM
Nov 18, 2014 3:28 PM

Nov 2013
Awesome episode! Y'know I was thinking that the series finale would be them meeting or something as a big point in the series. Didn't actually expect it this early never mind him actually being a fan of them! He is an eccentric type so I should have kinda expected it tbh :p

I actually really like him despite him being as mad as a box of frogs.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 7, 2015 7:09 AM

Nov 2013
Aww the first ED was so much better.
Mar 26, 2015 3:54 PM

Jun 2009
It's actually nice to see Niizuma isn't an arrogant cunt, I hope it's not a facade.
Jun 28, 2015 10:08 AM

Dec 2013
LMAO dat Eiji guy is 10/10
Sep 8, 2015 2:10 PM
Mar 2013
Tyestor said:
It's actually nice to see Niizuma isn't an arrogant cunt, I hope it's not a facade.
Mar 3, 2016 5:30 AM

Oct 2012
Eiji eh, sure he's interesting but weird... In a good way?

New version of OP and new ED
For now, the old ED was better for my ears, maybe time will make me say different xD
"Signature removed"
Nov 21, 2016 7:09 PM

Oct 2016
This was a good episode! Although the cult vs. mainstream argument was so frustrating especially since I agree with the editor. Doing a mainstream story kinda feels like a sellout to me and a waste of talent. Plus who are they to argue with an experienced editor who has done nothing but give them good advice? Oh well, I'm sure they'll succeed anyway because anime logic. Niizuma is a weird kid, but at least somewhat likable now.

Also, I just realized that there's a lot of irony in the fact that the character that wants to become a voice actor actually has the least lines, is on screen the least, and doesn't communicate with the main character verbally specifically because of a plot point.
Nov 26, 2016 12:49 PM

Sep 2013
I was really glad to see Eiji wasn't a conceited, arrogant jerk. He's just a goofball. I was worried they'd take the easy path and make him a typical arrogant villain. I wish the MCs wouldn't sell out and try to do mainstream stuff. They need to worry less about being number one and just have fun doing manga they like!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 14, 2016 4:59 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
another nice episode, where the both protagonists want to take the quickly way to arrive to get the number one, a way quickly but dangerous, although are youngers and they can fall!!!

I understand the hurries of both, if you are able to create a manga how One Piece or Dragon Ball, you has your future blinded, but if you fail, and fail, and fail another, get up is a hard!!! :(
Jan 22, 2017 10:51 AM

Dec 2014
I don't know when it happened but I realized while watching this episode that I'm just completely in love with this anime! Also the new ED is amazing.
Aug 11, 2017 1:08 AM

Dec 2015
Eiji is crazy! I'm starting to like him more though.
Dec 11, 2017 9:00 AM

Apr 2015
Getting beat up by a girl probably won't give you good experience for a battle manga...

Looks like they really are going for mainstream if Mashiro's copying down drawings from Dragon Ball. I imagine the other nine works he copied were along the lines of Naruto and One Piece.

"You've got big tits, Mihoshi." :o Not your best line of encouragement, Akito...

"Don't mess with what's on my desk! Don't touch it!" Okay, it's blatantly obvious they're going for making Eiji quite autistic with that little meltdown. Like, I'm not sure if I should be offended or not with how over-the-top this is.

"Serialize this one." Boy you can't just be like "I didn't feel like drawing that series lmao I just made this one". If Mashiro and Akito's editor thinks he has it rough with them wanting to do mainstream, he should switch over to being Eiji's editor for a day. I get that he's talented, but he's impossible to work with. They should drop him until he attends some therapy and behavior management classes.

"That's the genius Niizuma Eiji, running around the Jack offices balancing a goddamn pencil on his lip."

Mashiro and Akito's rose-colored glasses view of Eiji was completely destroyed by that visit. "This crazy boy really wants us to be friends?"

"You two don't have a chance of doing mainstream. I bet you don't even make crow noises while you work."
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
May 25, 2018 4:32 AM

Feb 2018
Working for someone half your age must really be humiliating. Epecially if it's someone like that.
Aug 15, 2019 8:50 AM
Apr 2016
From the very first scene with Niizuma Eiji, I had thought he's autistic, now I'm sure of it, he really does have it. Even after seeing him draw, they're still confident, that's good.
Dec 6, 2019 10:05 PM

Mar 2015
Lel watching the genius in action just spurred them on even more!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 29, 2020 6:44 AM

May 2018
Lol Eiji drew his own crow manga instead
Oct 30, 2020 6:58 PM

Jul 2020
Eiji is really weird and sort of irresponsible. That’s not a professional act. But, I’m glad he’s not arrogant and even appreciate those two’s work
Jan 8, 2021 2:16 PM

Jul 2017
Very entertaining episode overall, with some interesting conflicts too between Ashirogi Muto and their editor regarding the duo's desire to create a mainstream battle manga that would do well with popularity with the readers and get serialized easier that way, after falling to 3rd on NEXT with their Money and Intelligence entry, which was right up Takagi's alley and a much better quality manga but not quite as attention-grabbing with a majority of the audience. Mashiro and Takagi are drunk on the thought of rankings since they clearly are rushing the process to have a successful manga, let alone the dream of that being turned to an anime.

But they're determined regardless, even after seeing Niizuma for the first time and seeing how he absolutely outclasses them in the mainstream battle manga front from his instincts and talents alone and even after Hattori threatened to step down as editor if they both don't produce a quality name after 6 months and still adamant to compete with Niizuma on the mainstream business. The main key here is Takagi, since Mashiro while not perfect by any means can draw out battle manga a lot more easier compared to how Takagi has to conceptualize an interesting and exciting one that will outdo Crow in his head, especially since mainstream stories aren't his specialty, its the darker, more serious ones that do.
Jan 20, 2021 11:40 AM
Oct 2019
Ha, Eiji's pretty fun in his own bizarre way. I want to see this friendship.

I really wish they would stick with the cult manga though. Hattori's going to lose his hair over this
Jul 3, 2021 6:02 PM

Jan 2020
Seems like Eiji spent too much of his time in drawing...

I bet Moritaka will get into a fight with Akito in the future.....
Oct 13, 2021 4:59 AM

Dec 2007
mashiro and takagi really stubborn, even eiji said he couldn't think a story like takagi.

eiji is just masterpiece of character.

and hattori really knows what he says, too bad they don't want listen to him.
Oct 16, 2022 12:04 PM

Jan 2020
For having a fairly long runtime, these episodes go by pretty fast.

Niizuma done goofed. That being said, at least he doesn't seem all that malicious, despite his declaration to take down any series of his choosing. He genuinely seems to want to befriend Takagi and Moritaka. Though, ironically, they don't seem to feel the same. It's almost sad that they still seem him as an enemy despite him praising their one-shot.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jun 7, 2023 8:49 AM

Dec 2022
Great episodeeee
Jul 30, 2023 1:54 AM
Apr 2023
fdfdgdrgdrgdfggjserlfjslfsef
Sep 3, 2023 10:12 AM
Jul 2017
this is like how the mangakas were treated when they wrote death note
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bakuman Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Jan 22, 2011

140 by M1kasaYu1 »»
Apr 14, 4:24 AM

Poll: » Bakuman Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stevewiess01 - Feb 26, 2011

93 by Karva1 »»
Mar 26, 5:21 PM

Poll: » Bakuman Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Feb 5, 2011

130 by Karva1 »»
Mar 26, 2:20 PM

Poll: » Bakuman Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kanade-chan - Dec 25, 2010

105 by Karva1 »»
Mar 24, 8:01 PM

Poll: » Bakuman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

M0ni - Dec 4, 2010

139 by Karva1 »»
Mar 24, 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.