Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Jun 12, 2012 8:22 PM

Feb 2011
That was totally not what I remembered watching when I actually watched this specific episode was first aired on tv last year.
Jun 19, 2012 2:36 PM

Oct 2011
Wow. I don't know what I was expecting from this, but the kick-ass episode I just watched was not it. It was so awesome! The characters are awesome and the plot seems pretty cool too. Totally makes me want to watch more ASAP. Kyubey's contract was weird - "become a magical girl and get a wish". And Homura is a lot darker than I expected from this anime. Great first episode.
Jul 4, 2012 11:28 AM

Apr 2010
The first episode was ok in my opinion. The music was especially brilliant. :)
Jul 4, 2012 5:29 PM

Oct 2008
Neko0chii said:
The first episode was ok in my opinion. The music was especially brilliant. :)

Yuki Kajiura.

If you liked the music in this episode, you are in for a treat for the rest of it.
Jul 28, 2012 4:13 PM
May 2012
Was ok, enjoyed it a bit. The art was great.

Aug 17, 2012 3:03 PM

Jun 2012
First "magic girl" anime that didn't make me want to vomit after the first episode. The art + psychological feel has given me a good first impression.

Does anyone happen to know what song plays about one minute into the episode, when it shows the building floating in the air with lots of floating rocks around it?
Some parts of this post may be exaggerated.
Aug 17, 2012 3:53 PM

Dec 2010
Laraso said:

Does anyone happen to know what song plays about one minute into the episode, when it shows the building floating in the air with lots of floating rocks around it?

MAGIA
Aug 25, 2012 8:01 PM

Jul 2012
VictimOfFate said:
What the hell did I just watch.

This. ^

Idk if I should drop it or not..........
One more episode and I'll decide.

Art style is interesting. I have mixed feelings for it too. I hate character designs and the weird surrealism but the scenery and setting art are very nice.
Sep 6, 2012 4:38 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Normally I'm not big on mahou shoujo and too much moé doesn't appeal to me either, but I've heard so much about this show that I just had to start watching it.

1st impression. Great art and an original visual style (it is SHAFT after all), the backgrounds are amazing; the soundtrack is very pleasing and complements the story. Voice acting is solid. The story so far is not the most original thing ever, but it's ok.

The one thing that is really jarring is the character designs. I don't like this stylized cutesy form, specially when it makes characters seem younger than they are. Madoka looks 8 for crying out loud. But I guess you cannot do a real successful anime this days without pree-teen characters so I guess I'll just have to get over it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 1, 2012 10:01 AM

Dec 2010
Marzan said:
Normally I'm not big on mahou shoujo and too much moé doesn't appeal to me either, but I've heard so much about this show that I just had to start watching it.

1st impression. Great art and an original visual style (it is SHAFT after all), the backgrounds are amazing; the soundtrack is very pleasing and complements the story. Voice acting is solid. The story so far is not the most original thing ever, but it's ok.

The one thing that is really jarring is the character designs. I don't like this stylized cutesy form, specially when it makes characters seem younger than they are. Madoka looks 8 for crying out loud. But I guess you cannot do a real successful anime this days without pree-teen characters so I guess I'll just have to get over it.

I think that this is one way of "tricking" the audience with the tone of this show

Oct 14, 2012 3:13 PM

May 2012
Interesting start of this Anime! Quite strong visual style and a nice way on presenting the special world, the first mahou shoujo transformation was also quite nice, lets see if this anime has potential to be a successful mahou shoujo anime!
Oct 28, 2012 3:29 AM

Jan 2011
I watched the TV version of the first episode on 20 May 2011, after which I stalled it and forgot about it for a long time. I've been planning to watch the BD version for a while so I decided to do start it today. I skipped through the first BD episode a bit to revive my memories a bit.
Great start to be honest, amazing amazing. And that strange magic world.
Just a strange show in general, but interesting to watch. I'm looking forward to more.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Oct 29, 2012 10:01 PM

Jul 2012
Been avoiding this anime because the girls looked like they came straight out of sailor moon in all the pics then people would say it was on of the best anime so I was stunned to see it look like Bakamonogatari in some scenes the art doesn't annoy me that much the animation is so well done also the beginning reminded me of black rock shooter.
Should have known its done by shaft. -_- they specialize in this kinda animation
Dec 30, 2012 5:31 PM

Oct 2011
I'm currently re-watching this. I have to say the animation is a little iffy, especially considering what type of anime genre this is. But the music is brilliant, as expected of Kajiiura Yuki & the plot seems very original compared to most mahou shoujo anime. I can't help but download the next episode right away!
Jan 2, 2013 8:53 AM

Nov 2012
controlmajortom said:
Wow, that was incredibly boring.

I'll give it one more ep before deciding to drop or not.
me to suspected much more tough
Jan 12, 2013 1:40 PM

Nov 2012
very weird but i kinda like it and i love the soundtrack and ED song..gonna watch ep 2 >< .
Jan 12, 2013 11:06 PM

Aug 2012
what year is this anime in? it's really futuristic
Jan 12, 2013 11:07 PM

Aug 2012
what year is this anime in? it's really futuristic
Jan 29, 2013 5:00 AM

Jun 2011
First thing first, bad art. I was kinda shocked to see that the MC and her friend aren't really shocked to see the transformation of that girl, and that talking cat? Kyubei.. can't stand the art but probably could get used to it after a few more episode
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 5, 2013 7:34 PM
Dec 2011
The only part I truly enjoyed in this episode was Madoka's father. FINALLY a non-transvestite (hopefully...) father who cooks for his family! :D

Yes to breaking gender rolls.
Mar 6, 2013 12:09 AM

May 2010
I saw the first episode last night and holy cows it was great. The music and art were amazing. I almost started drooling when I saw the first scene and the end. I hope they story and characters will keep up, because if so, this is will be awesome.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Mar 20, 2013 6:47 PM

Jun 2012
Mar 28, 2013 11:21 PM

Sep 2012
Wao, its been a long time since I watched a mahou-shoujo anime...
Its interesting... and the music is awesome.
Apr 18, 2013 10:31 PM

Aug 2007
Huh, I was not expecting to like that as much as I did.
Someone recommended it to me because they liked it a lot, but I'm not much of a magical girl type.
But the darker themes have caught my attention...!

Apr 30, 2013 4:04 PM

Mar 2013
@anthony59237
Yeah, I too am wondering what time period this is set in. I mean, the school looked so futuristic with its glass walled classrooms and everything.

Wow! This is just as good as I was expecting, maybe more. I'm definitely liking the story, the art and the music so far.

About Madoka's dream, it's definitely one of the strangest I've seen (but nicely animated):

The Kaname bathroom is gigantic! Is it just me, or is this too many makeup products for one person:

Madoka seems to have a really nice family. I'm hoping nothing happens to them later...

And the award for "Best Looking Clock in Anime" goes to:

Lol at Sayaka teasing Madoka:

Why is Homura (apparently) trying to kill Kyuubey? She doesn't seem to want Madoka to become a Mahou Shoujo. I wonder what it is that she lost.

The art for the illusion/barrier thingy looked great:

Mami to the rescue:

I didn't realise she had this many guns:

There certainly are some dark vibes so far (mostly from Homura).
Looking forward to the next ep! ^^
Jun 17, 2013 7:13 PM
gokigenyou~

May 2013
I got the same vibe that it was dark OP. Especially because of the weird beginning, the part where Madoka and Homura are walking to the "nurses office" and then, of course, the part where Madoka and Sayaka save Kyube from Homura.
I'm liking this so far! I was thoroughly entertainted through that whole episode. I really like the art style as well. It's different from other mahou shoujo anime I've seen. (Which isn't very many)

Jul 7, 2013 11:59 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Well it's only the first episode, so I'm not hooked yet, mostly because I don't particularly like the character designs, why're they always blushing? Still, it's quite interesting, with the dream and wherever they were when they were saving Kyubei. The background art is quite nice. I liked the transformation sequence too. I'm sure this won't disappoint since this anime gets so much praise.
Jul 10, 2013 1:20 AM

Nov 2012
Oh man. Looks like I'll be meeting those cotton-ball mustaches in my dreams someday.
Jul 17, 2013 11:19 AM

Feb 2013
Seems interesting.... People were right that this is not a typical mahou shoujo anime.

Homura seems like a smaller version of Hitagi. xD

I'm already in love with the soundtrack. <3

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jul 25, 2013 2:59 PM

Nov 2012
that ost in the bginning is not really bad :3
ClariS in the opening XDDD *kyaaa* XD

YES YES! XD saito chiwa is being CV of homura XD DAMN she sounds like senjougahara XD idk why.. but I'm so happy :p

its gonna be awesome I think
(8/10)
Aug 5, 2013 3:49 PM

Apr 2013
It kinda reminds me sailor moon :D
Aug 18, 2013 5:21 AM

Jun 2011
I had to recheck the link because the art wasn't like Shaft at all... but yea the ending reminded me so much of Bakemonogatari; and like almost everyone else here has mentioned, Homura is Senjougahara's mini-me ^^
Aug 24, 2013 7:55 AM

Dec 2012
Cocaine is a hell of a drug....
Sep 3, 2013 12:54 AM
Jul 2018

The OP and ED are lovely.
It's been a long time since I have watched a magical girl genre.
Sep 8, 2013 12:53 PM

Sep 2012
Surprisingly, not a big fan so far. Perhaps it's the fact I was lazy and grabbed a dub, or perhaps it's the artwork being mostly ...meh, but just not enjoying it as much as I had hoped.

Still, I have never given up on an anime that I have heard so highly recommended! (Except Bleach, after 100-some episodes)

12 episodes? I can make it!
Sep 11, 2013 3:59 PM

Feb 2013
not the best 1st episode I have seen
but i heard it gets better so ill keep goin
Oct 26, 2013 10:05 PM

Jun 2013
Been hearing for quite some time how amazing this anime is, and after watching episode 1 i can say that its pretty good so far... hope it gets better! :)
Nov 19, 2013 6:36 PM
Jun 2013
I'm confusedf as Fuck at the moment
Dec 1, 2013 7:45 PM

Jun 2012
Ehh this magical girl shit isnt my thing.
That music though.
Dec 15, 2013 5:18 PM

May 2012
It was interesting, I'm not sure if it'll keep my attention if we don't get more story development.
Dec 17, 2013 10:09 AM
Dec 2013
As a first episode it is pretty good. The opening with Homura fighting while Madoka watches is a good way to get people interested before introducing the world, because so much of the episode is (necessary) sappy introduction. The initial mystery around Homura is a little cliche, but the talk the 3 friends have about her is really well written. The witch labyrinth is a very interesting visual. Mami's introduction is suitably badass with all those guns.

The problem is you don't realize from this episode that there is anything more to the series than being a better written an animated version of Sailor Moon, and Madoka hasn't done enough to really be likeable as a protagonist yet.
Jan 1, 2014 4:35 PM

Jun 2011
Surprisingly, i liked the first episode!
even tho its not my fav. genre or characters.. i find it very interesting specially Homura..
i don't like Kyubie.. i noticed how he never answered "how do you know our name?" question!
4/5
Satou0KunJan 1, 2014 5:00 PM
Jan 20, 2014 12:00 AM

Apr 2013
VictimOfFate said:
Feb 7, 2014 1:24 PM

Jun 2013
Woah what a good first episode! The animation is amazing! I've heard so many good things about this anime, and their is like a billion fans for this and now I see why.
Feb 12, 2014 11:22 PM

Dec 2013
VictimOfFate said:

this is how i feel, dont think i can make it another episode
http://nocoastbias.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/talking-your-ear-off.gif
Feb 14, 2014 10:33 AM

Oct 2013
ururuization said:
VictimOfFate said:

this is how i feel, dont think i can make it another episode
http://nocoastbias.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/talking-your-ear-off.gif

I was kind of thinking the same. However, this show got a solid 10/10 from me. If you ever come back and try again, please watch at least the first 3 episodes. Otherwise you just can't rate this show (well, my opinion).
Mar 1, 2014 8:22 PM

Feb 2013
(3rd time watching)

Homura's expressions while walking with Madoka to see the nurse... then the girls' conversation at the restaurant... It's little things like these that make this anime so amazing... especially knowing where everything is going.
Mar 11, 2014 2:17 AM
Nov 2013
This was really, really good. Total joy to watch, great directing and a visual feast. Really good OST as well. Does remind me a bit Bakemonogatari, and has some of the same voice actors (Senjougahara, Karen, Hachikuji). Pretty dark atmostphere despite the cutesy surface. I think I'll enjoy this series.
Apr 3, 2014 3:41 PM

Apr 2013
*Repeatedly changes aspect ratio as I watched this*

Beginning was interesting with some good music...
Then it got kinda boring ._.

Apr 4, 2014 9:44 AM
Jun 2013
I really like the artstyle and I hear this show gets pretty messed up later on so ill stick around.
Pages (10) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

1541 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Apr 21, 2011

229 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 2:11 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

704 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 24, 2011

627 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

stevewiess01 - Feb 10, 2011

523 by Biisoo »»
Apr 15, 11:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.