Forum Settings
Forums

Cramming as many female characters into a series as possible

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 21, 2012 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
Tachii said:
Kaiji is the real antithesis of this trend. I don't think I saw the face of a single female (even side characters) in all of first season. Will watch second season soon.

Second season goes and ruins it by having a ridiculously hot daughter :(

Jun 21, 2012 2:58 PM

Nov 2011
If those were strong/powerfull/inteligent female characters it would be ok with me.But most of them are weak/not so bright/always needs to be protected.And if some of them are intelligent/powerfull then they are mostly psychotic yandere/extremely tsundere.
Most of animes really lack good female characters.There are plenty of them but they are just no good ://
Jun 21, 2012 3:10 PM

Sep 2010
SarinaMoonshine said:
If those were strong/powerfull/inteligent female characters it would be ok with me.But most of them are weak/not so bright/always needs to be protected.And if some of them are intelligent/powerfull then they are mostly psychotic yandere/extremely tsundere.
Most of animes really lack good female characters.There are plenty of them but they are just no good ://[/quote

Then I'd have to question what you'd call "good" female characters. If an anime has a mix of genders then I can find a good female character just as easily as I can find a weak male character. I just keep in mind that gender roles still apply and go thinking a female character needs male traits in order to be seen as good or strong.

Jun 21, 2012 3:10 PM
Apr 2012
-Kazu said:
The male leads arent really that important in harem series, its all about the women.
I mean, If they did add importance to the male then thats fine, but if not thats cool too, I don't have any complaints about anime as of yet.
[The male lead from Mayoi Neko was pretty much invisible lol]
i disagree. The male lead is the one dealing with all the girls. because he's special he can fix all of their problems. that's why they love him so much. a Gary Stu, if you will.

Anime_Name said:
I just find the heavy emphasis on large-breated female characters a little tiresome.

and how does a large-breasted female character negatively effect an anime. How would a small-breasted female or possibly another guy character do to improve that anime other than just not being a large-breasted woman.

i don't understand your point. are you asking whether the aesthetics in an illustration is important (because it is), in terms of the quality of the show?

it's true that large breasts may be more "popular" in terms of aesthetic appeal, but a focus on aesthetic appeal in your illustration can lead to a lower quality story (like trading artistic freedom for what is popular). that is why "large breasts" can be tiresome. it is only for the audience and it is boring because it has no other reason for its existence. that's also why the harems, or off label harems with females crowding around the male lead, is also tiring. cliched and ineffective = artist shit.
Jun 21, 2012 3:26 PM

Nov 2011
Anime_Name:
Well that is subjectively.
For me a "good" female character is powerfull/inteligent/with strong personality.And mostly not stupid/weak/clumsy/obsessed with something too weird or with idiot guy/yandere/extremely tsundere (if she is just a bit tsundere its okay).Of course,there are some (rare) exceptions.
SarinaMoonshineJun 21, 2012 3:30 PM
Jun 21, 2012 3:26 PM

Sep 2010
i don't understand your point. are you asking whether the aesthetics in an illustration is important (because it is), in terms of the quality of the show?

My question is how would simply changing the aesthetics of a character be an improvement for the character and story. Why would changing the vision of the artist to match what you like make their story or characters better?

it's true that large breasts may be more "popular" in terms of aesthetic appeal, but a focus on aesthetic appeal in your illustration can lead to a lower quality story (like trading artistic freedom for what is popular).

This assumes no artists chooses to focus on breast sizes of their own free volition. If large breast are popular with fans then can not large breasts also be popular with the artists that draw the material and/or can't artists also be fans that enjoy large breasts?
I don't even agree with the idea that large breasts are "more popular" but just that it is just a fetish some people hold similarly to the preferring small breasts. Any attempt to satisfy the large breast fetish is done to entertain those that like large breasts and not aimed at people who would prefer small breasts. Changing aesthetics here would just be trading one group for the other and that when a member of one group wants something changed to fit there ideals it is an example of them saying their likes are more important than the members of the other group.

cliched and ineffective = artist shit.

That's only because you are arguing from the standpoint of not liking it. There's no actual correlation to breast size and quality of a story.

Jun 21, 2012 3:28 PM

Jun 2012
I know this sounds stupid, but my theory is since the majority of the anime/manga authors are male they tend to draw more female characters than male characters.

I don't know, but this is just my opinion.
Did you say "nerd"?
----------------------
Not "nerd" -- "node".

Jun 21, 2012 3:30 PM

Sep 2010
SarinaMoonshine said:
Anime_Name:
Well that is subjectively.
For me a "good" female character is powerfull/inteligent/with strong perssonality.And mostly not stupid/weak/clumsy/yandere/extremely tsundere (if she is just a bit tsundere its okay).

The subjectivity is why I am questioning what you'd call "good".
I see no lacking of powerful/intelligent women being used in anime, as can find a number of powerful/intelligent women in any anime with mixed genders.

Jun 21, 2012 4:06 PM
Feb 2012
The top 3 selling Tv series by year
2011 ---------- 2010 -------------2009 ----------------- 2008 ------------- 2007
Madoka -------- k-on!!----------- Bakemonogatari----- Macross F --------Code Geass
Anohana -------Angel beats ---- K-on! -----------------Code Geass R2-- Lucky Star
Persona 4 ------Working! --------Gundam OO s2 ------Gundam OO ------Clannad

According to Ure Pia magazine, Ascii Research Institute has released a comparative analysis of K-ON! fans. 37% of K-ON! fans are women. Theres a large variance in age for all fans, though the biggest group is in their 20's.

A large majority of Harem/ecchi/cute girl shows sell less than 3000 copies
just From 2011
Rio: Rainbow Gate- 963
Nekogami- 325
Moshidora - sales were so low it never even ranked
Morita-san - 909
dragon crisis - 1036
Astarotte - 1517
C3 C cubed -1898
Yumekui Merry - 2469
Softenni - 1131
R-15 - 1591

The ad company Gallup & Robinson as well as many others such as Ad Age, have done extensive testing on Eroticism used in advertising. The conclusion is that it does indeed grab a persons attention, however it does not affect sales and actually reduces brand recognition. Unfortunately the first part is what led to the misguided phrase "Sex Sells".

Basically using female characters on the poster can get people to look at it, but if there's nothing else to the series then it won't do well. Unfortunately a large number of people believe "Sex Sells to the sheep majority which I am not a part of" which causes it to continue on like it has. http://xkcd.com/610/
Jun 21, 2012 4:09 PM

Mar 2012
I agree with everything Anime_Name has said thus far.
There's no use fixing what's not broken.
やがて気づく本当の気持ちは
そして 人間が大好きでした
Jun 21, 2012 4:27 PM

Sep 2010
Unfortunately the first part is what led to the misguided phrase "Sex Sells".

One would be very uninformed to interpret that phrase literally.
The alternative and longer phrase is "Sex in advertising." And the conclusion is the sex in advertising does sell products, that's all. The phrase is not a measure of effectiveness and is product dependent.

I have to say your conclusion is wonky and misleading as the majority of any particular genre sells less than 3000 copies per volume.
Anime_NameJun 21, 2012 4:33 PM

Jun 21, 2012 5:15 PM

Mar 2009
It's not bad, it just is. I don't care for most of it so I don't watch it. I wish there was more of the kind of stuff I like but the fact that there isn't lets me dig up more old stuff or do something not related to anime. Fancy that.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jun 21, 2012 6:33 PM

Feb 2010
Hoppy said:
Anime is still a male dominated subculture with most of these catered to the young or older male audience and these males lust for women and possibly young girls, so the best way of promoting anime is to only advertise the female characters. I like the harem genre anyway as long as the females are good.

This...
Jun 21, 2012 7:06 PM
Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:
Unfortunately the first part is what led to the misguided phrase "Sex Sells".

One would be very uninformed to interpret that phrase literally.
The alternative and longer phrase is "Sex in advertising." And the conclusion is the sex in advertising does sell products, that's all. The phrase is not a measure of effectiveness and is product dependent.

I did say Eroticism in Advertising, and yes in a few instances sex being associated with a product such as Axe or Calvin Klein have improved sales. However for the majority instances where it has been used it did not have an effect on sales. It was also directed at the original question in the thread which was why there were so many females being crammed into a series as possible, to which I answered that there exists a misconception that T&A automatically = increased sales.

Anime_Name said:

I have to say your conclusion is wonky and misleading as the majority of any particular genre sells less than 3000 copies per volume.

My conclusion was only addressing the idea that adding elements of ecchi/harem/cute to a show guaranteed success, to which I disagreed with. I posted the top sellers of each year for a few years to show how varied they were, perhaps I should point out that they all vary wildly in terms of genre. Several of which include the previously mentioned elements.
RagingpieJun 21, 2012 8:03 PM
Jun 21, 2012 7:15 PM

Sep 2010
I did say Eroticism in Advertising, and yes in a few instances sex being associated with a product such as Axe or Calvin Klein have improved sales. However for the majority instances where it has been used it did not have an effect on sales. It was also directed at the original question in the thread which was why there were so many females being crammed into a series as possible, to which I answered that there exists a misconception that T&A automatically = increased sales.

It's more like you're starting an argument no one was making and are getting it wrong in the process. The claim that sex sells in advertisements is not about improved sales or T&A increasing sales. For the sake of this topic there's no means to measure how much better K-ON! sold because of the number of girls in it since there's no K-ON! without girls to compare it to.

The only misconception here is your argument that T&A = increased sales when the real claim is T&A= a proven way to make sales.

My conclusion was only addressing the idea that adding elements of ecchi/harem/cute to a show guaranteed success, to which I disagreed with. I posted the top sellers of each year for a few years to show how varied they were, perhaps I should point out that they all vary wildly in terms of genre. Several of which include the previously mentioned elements.

You were still talking about how a majority of harem/ecchi/cute girl shows sell less than 3000. I called this deceptive because only the minority of any genre make great sales and the majority don't sell very well. You were being deceptive by only calling attention to the genres you wanted to talk about.

Jun 21, 2012 7:30 PM

Jun 2012
If they are putting this many female characters into the series they must think it will attract viewers. Personally I don't mind as long as they are not really annoying or get in the way of the story.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Jun 21, 2012 7:58 PM
Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:

It's more like you're starting an argument no one was making and are getting it wrong in the process. The claim that sex sells in advertisements is not about improved sales or T&A increasing sales. For the sake of this topic there's no means to measure how much better K-ON! sold because of the number of girls in it since there's no K-ON! without girls to compare it to.

The only misconception here is your argument that T&A = increased sales when the real claim is T&A= a proven way to make sales.

If T&A is a proven way to make sales, then provide the proof please.

Also, please stop twisting my words to mean what you want them to mean.
Jun 21, 2012 8:47 PM

Sep 2010
Orangespike said:

If T&A is a proven way to make sales, then provide the proof please.

Queen's Blade's figurines
Megami Magazine
Eroges
What kind of proof do you need other than looking at the fact there is a market for sexual products to support the statement; "T&A is a proven way to make sales". Saying T&A = increased sales isn't an accurate way to interpret the phrase because in most cases there isn't a non-T&A like-product for comparison. Megami Mag sells because of the titillation is offers, whether it sells more or less than a non-T&A magazine is beside the point. The sex is what sells it.

Also, please stop twisting my words to mean what you want them to mean.

If your words didn't twist the meaning of the phrase I wouldn't need to untwist them.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 4 hours ago

11 by Zimmu »»
2 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

57 by BilboBaggins365 »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

60 by Meline0102 »»
5 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

16 by deg »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

114 by -YaoiBoy- »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.