Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 90 Discussion

Jun 5, 2008 6:40 AM
Vermillion

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
De Villier left one element out of his plans: Iserlohn. They're still very small but it's hard to imagine Julian and co. will be relegated to the sidelines. Julian still hasn't gotten his revenge yet for the death of Yang.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Jun 25, 2008 3:09 PM

I hope there is more to De Villier besides him just being a giant douche.

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei

Aug 18, 2008 11:47 PM

Ugh. Someone just needs to kill off all of the Terraists. Preferably Julian and Karin, but Reinhard would be good too.

Nov 21, 2008 11:37 AM

Times are getting harder for Reuenthal in Heinessen, all of because of the Terraists schemes.
De Villier revealed they would make Reuenthal rebel against Lohengramm and then make both of them die.How unfair it would be for them to die because of such a despicable sect. Maybe that's one of the real strength of the anime to show how very brave and glorious people can fall under mean and despicable plots.
Truniht's comments on people being merely kite following the wind is really disgusting, but maybe not that far of what some real politicians think unfortunately :(

On the other side, Julian, Frederica and their comrades are really cheering up and it's a nice balance to all the drama that is being prepared.

Aug 22, 2009 6:21 PM
Observer

blue_hitomi said:

Truniht's comments on people being merely kite following the wind is really disgusting, but maybe not that far of what some real politicians think unfortunately :(

But the mass/public definitely behaves that way to some degrees. Most politicians are aware of that. A good politician knows how to balance things out....

The terraists' evil laugh really was evil....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?

Nov 6, 2009 2:29 AM

I just HATE the Terraists

Nov 6, 2009 12:11 PM

OmegaRed said:
I hope there is more to De Villier besides him just being a giant douche.

Nope, he's just a douche! Fucking douche!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Nov 20, 2009 2:37 AM

I believe this is the first time an episode has ended with megalomanical laughter.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

Jan 27, 2010 6:58 AM

I sense more tragedy up ahead

Silverhammer said:
I believe this is the first time an episode has ended with megalomanical laughter.

lol...yea I think so.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Feb 13, 2010 7:15 AM

Hah, this a first for this show to display such blatantly strong evil. DeVilliers was wise to learn from history, but not so wise to beileve that such a radical cult as Terraism will ultimately succeed in taking over the galaxy. This was the case for Earth...even before the mass exodus of people, it held believers of many beliefs and religions.

Ultimately, I want either Reinhard or Julian to be the ones to finally put out that glowing ash called the Earth Cult. Then, the two can finally work out reform talks and everyone can breathe easier. I also hope Reuenthal doesn't fall prey to the Earth Cult's plans; he's too talented an individual to fall for their plans. We're fortunate he doesn't trust Truniht in the least. We'll be especially fortunate if he can find clear evidence for his ties to the Earth Cult.

May 24, 2010 10:08 PM

Am I the only one disappointed that this show would resort to such cartoonish villains as the Terraists?

Jun 7, 2010 8:26 PM

HosannaExcelsis said:
Am I the only one disappointed that this show would resort to such cartoonish villains as the Terraists?

Explain.

Jun 21, 2010 12:25 AM

HosannaExcelsis said:

Well, it is a cartoon...

Jun 26, 2010 11:30 AM

Well, religion as the enemy of mankind IS of symbolic value ^^
I wonder if the Terraists can carry out parts of their plan before being defeated...

StephenCovey said:
Most of us don't listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.

Sep 26, 2010 6:23 AM

I really liked how they showed two different confrontations with Reuenthal and 2 important figures of former FPA democracy.
Sitolet has so much dignity and reminds me of Bucock.On the other hand, I still can't stand Truniht's hypocrisy.

Oct 18, 2010 2:43 PM

HosannaExcelsis said:

No. I feel exactly the same way. It's cheapens the show in my opinion.
“I can't stand pretty opinions!”

Nov 22, 2010 12:45 PM

i think that the terraists just animate the show a bit,they are decent antagonists :)

and you gotta love the cheesy evil laugh...mwhahahahahaha
even his name is so cliche..."DE VILlier",come on :)

normally reuenthal shouldn't fall for this guy's scheme,but considering there are 20 episodes left,and that the narrator dude usually predicts things with an astonishing precision...yeah you get the point

5/5 because of some nice FPA moments in the 2nd part of the episode :)
Modified by clannad4ever, Nov 22, 2010 12:53 PM
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Jan 14, 2011 8:24 PM

One thousand years into the future and we got legless tables

Silly Terrarists, Reinhard's blonde hair will choke you guys!
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Mar 17, 2011 11:23 PM
Seabury said:
HosannaExcelsis said:

Yeah.

I was hoping Reuenthal would find internal motivation for his rebellion, like serving as a worthy opponent that energizes the Kaiser, allowing him to get the victory Yang's death prevented. Why do these cultists have to be in the show?

Mar 18, 2011 12:38 AM

Luthimal said:

Why do these cultists have to be in the show?

Funny that you asked that, considering how the show treats them towards the end of the 4th season
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Dec 20, 2011 3:58 PM
I find it mildly amusing that for all LOGH achieves, it catches a lot of shit for it's ONE slip up: the painting of religion as pure evil in such a one-sided way. When I think about it, I don't like such a portrayal, but I admit mind control via belief systems is a very interesting topic. I'm willing to forgive it because of the overwhelming amount of pluses the show has.

There really are people like the cultists though, although probably not as crafty or certafiably insane.

Dec 22, 2011 2:38 AM

The problem is that religion doesn't get as much screen-time as other concepts, it's painted with broad-strokes so as such it's not as nuanced or developed as other topics. That's why the religious cult come off cartoonish compared to everyone else. If they'd had more screen-time, they could have basically been like another faction in the war with their own in-fighting, ranks, etc.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Feb 12, 2012 7:53 PM

I'm too a little disappointed with that type of portrayal.

This show has HARDLY been without it's completely out of place cartoonish moments though. Pit fall trap defeating the enemy, Poplan running away from blaster fire, and last episodes Chibi Kaiser immediately come to mind.

Apr 22, 2012 8:38 PM

"I'm blessed with such fine subordinates.
Firing at unarmed people is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit cannot accomplish."

Great quote.

I just wish Reuental could settle down with that crazy woman.
He's a great bro for the Kaiser.

May 6, 2012 11:25 AM

I find it refreshing at this point that they have such an over the top villain. What makes it unpleasant is that the Terraists have such a big influence on the direction of the show, yet they haven't really been developed. So I'd be ok with such an evil in the show if they had a smaller role, but in comparison to the alliance and empire strategies it seems so cheap that such an opponent appears from the distance to influence key points without much effort. It's like a small religious cult during the Cold War wanting to bring down both USA and the Soviet Union and even having some success.

Of course there have been other characters who have been rather one-dimensional, like Poplan who's the Moroboshi Ataru of the Alliance space fleet. Surely it can't be a coincidence that it's the same actor. But he's a nice comic relief.

May 26, 2012 2:53 PM

Shouldn't have left the apiary, Sidney.

Seabury said:
HosannaExcelsis said:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is far from flawless. Granted, the good outweighs the bad a hundred times over -- but when you try to tackle every aspect of politics, socioeconomics, military strategy, military tactics, military logistics, political science, philosophy, and religion on a galactic scale, you're bound to trip up here and there.

I imagine the Terraists are more fully fleshed out in the novels, but it was one thing too many for the OVA to take on. I don't believe the Terraists could've been written out of the series -- the Earth arc was too important -- but some of their importance could've been handed off the Adrian Rubinsky and maybe other Phezzani.

May 27, 2012 12:04 AM

Hakuromatsu said:
Shouldn't have left the apiary, Sidney.

Seabury said:
HosannaExcelsis said:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is far from flawless. Granted, the good outweighs the bad a hundred times over -- but when you try to tackle every aspect of politics, socioeconomics, military strategy, military tactics, military logistics, political science, philosophy, and religion on a galactic scale, you're bound to trip up here and there.

I imagine the Terraists are more fully fleshed out in the novels, but it was one thing too many for the OVA to take on. I don't believe the Terraists could've been written out of the series -- the Earth arc was too important -- but some of their importance could've been handed off the Adrian Rubinsky and maybe other Phezzani.

I'm unsure about the extra fleshing out in the novels.
From what I have heard the novels are actually a lot shorter then the books.
Many important characters in the anime simply don't exists in the literary version.

Our lovely Attenborough is apparently non existent.

May 27, 2012 11:26 AM

Sabinlerose said:
Our lovely Attenborough is apparently non existent.

Oh! Oh.

Well I guess that's not entirely unthinkable. But that also means no Dusty the Pirate T_T

Oct 25, 2012 1:54 AM

I guess there's one person who's worse than Trunhiit himself, that douche terraist (what's his name again?), the politician probably only acquired power for hedonistic purposes, but that terraist is actually a megalomaniac and a devil incarnate

Sep 30, 2013 3:26 PM

The Terraists are so funny . . . I wonder if they will actually accomplish anything or just die some pathetic death.

Jul 19, 2014 9:19 AM

It's a shame that the Terraists are handled so one-sidedly. I really like when there's some manipulative douchebags doing everything behind the scenes, but unfortunately they're evil just for the sake of being evil.

Aug 9, 2014 7:27 PM

I always find meeting like this;

So hilarious. Bonus points for having completely and utterly deformed faces.

Nov 15, 2014 8:16 AM

Dam people rioting throwing rocks, beating the crap out of soldiers and attempting to take there guns think it won't lead to something bad happening. Bunch of idiots.

Dec 23, 2014 2:51 PM

In order for the Terraists to be more bearable, I like to think of them as radical terrorists in the Islam faith. If you think about it they both deploy religion in a way to brainwash it's members into committing suicide bombings in the name of their beliefs. Of course that doesn't excuse the 1 dimensional hooded Earth cult completely but it makes it easier to relate to them.

Jan 13, 2015 10:36 AM
MWUHAHAHA!

Yeah, the Bishop is a horrible villain. I hope the climax of the season will focus more on Reuental and Reinhard than these boring cultists.

Mar 14, 2015 11:33 AM

That laugh at the end.
It looks like a lot of things are being set up for another war arc.

Jun 4, 2015 10:04 AM

lmao, the earth cultists are just a bunch of jokers :P

Jun 21, 2015 10:02 AM

The Earth Cult is an intriguing part of this story.

Jun 21, 2015 10:15 AM

That damned Earth Cult... Good episode though and with 20 episodes remaining I do wonder how it will progress!

Jul 23, 2015 1:20 AM

Damn, the Earth people are disgusting...

In order to gain their own peace, they steal another nation's peace by exploiting its leaders.

Anyways, yay for Julian and Karin development.

Jul 23, 2015 8:34 PM

Seeing the alliance like that feels like I am watching a slice of life :P

Dat evil laugh at the end made me laugh XD

Aug 27, 2015 12:30 PM

i ike how it pointed out the similarities between fredrica and jessica, i also noticed that a while ago right after she got the political position, im kind of worried about how jessica died now that julian thought about it... hmmm, and i also find it funy how they brought up rome, i thought about that earlier as well.

Sep 4, 2015 9:40 PM
ZephSilver said:
In order for the Terraists to be more bearable, I like to think of them as radical terrorists in the Islam faith. If you think about it they both deploy religion in a way to brainwash it's members into committing suicide bombings in the name of their beliefs. Of course that doesn't excuse the 1 dimensional hooded Earth cult completely but it makes it easier to relate to them.

For that exact same reason, I didn't find the Terrarists unbelievable at all. Real life is "unrealistic" at times.

----
Can someone help explain this quote to me?
Reuenthal said:
"I'm blessed with such fine subordinates. Firing at unarmed people is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit cannot accomplish."

The double negatives are confusing me.
Reuenthal said:
"Firing at unarmed people is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit can accomplish."

Reuenthal said:
"Firing at unarmed people is a feat that those with courage and a chivalrous spirit cannot accomplish."

Means A: Only unchivalrous cowards can fire at the unarmed.

Reuenthal said:
"Firing at unarmed people is a feat that those with courage and a chivalrous spirit can accomplish."

Reuenthal said:
"Firing at unarmed people is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit cannot accomplish."

Means B: Only courageous, chivalrous people can fire at the unarmed???

Typing this out, it leads me to believe Reunthal means B.

Sep 5, 2015 3:21 AM

Second one. He is sarcastic as always. Reverse psychology for the win.

Dec 8, 2015 5:15 PM

So evil at the end :'(
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.

Mar 21, 2016 4:34 PM

that terraism leader is really evil
hope reuental don´t fall
:O
trunhit is another evil one :(

Jun 24, 2016 5:16 PM

Please for the love of God, tell me that's not a death flag for Frederica! :[

Nov 9, 2016 2:11 PM

I dont know but i think these villains are good at being villains.
Great Episode.

Jul 5, 2017 1:13 PM
I disagrees with these criticisms of the Terraists. They're not portrayed as simply evil: they want power; that seems pretty realistic to me. What's more, I wouldn't take their portrayal as a broad criticism of religion: the empire are Odinists after all, and that isn't explored much at all; it's just there in the background. To me the Terraists and especially Rubinsky are just Space-Jews, plotting in the background. Terraism seems to rhyme quite a bit with Zionism, does it not?

Oct 6, 2017 6:29 AM

That laugh at the end was cringy af tho.XD

Pages (2) [1] 2 »