Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2008 1:12 PM
Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
WOW. I just watched the weirdest anime I have ever watched after Tenshi no Tamago (also a Mamoru Oshii title from the mid to late 80's). A soap family comedy with overly-complicated SF themes and Oshii direction at its best. Very much like the second segment of Twilight Q or Urusei Yatsura II : Beautiful Dreamer, but more senseless, abstract (if it's even possible) and experimental... I have only one word in my mind right now : fascinating.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jun 6, 2008 12:20 AM

Apr 2008
That was very... strange. It seemed almost as if it was adapted from the stage (or created for). There's probably a whole lot of Japanese cultural references I'm missing, but it was still enjoyable for some unknown reason. It is pleasantly absurd.
Jun 6, 2008 12:43 AM

Dec 2007
This were weird but fascinating!
Waiting for next episode.
Jun 6, 2008 7:41 AM
Nov 2007
WHY WONT THEY SHUT UP.
Jun 9, 2008 10:14 AM

Nov 2007
Plate said:
That was very... strange. It seemed almost as if it was adapted from the stage (or created for). There's probably a whole lot of Japanese cultural references I'm missing, but it was still enjoyable for some unknown reason. It is pleasantly absurd.

I definitely get the impression of a stage presentation as well.

plounted said:
WHY WONT THEY SHUT UP.

The dialogues are great. If they shut up, there would be no show. D:
Jun 14, 2008 3:40 AM

Jan 2008
Wow - this was weird, but in a good way.

I liked the way it emulated a stage-show - and it was pretty funny aswell.
~five exclamation marks is the sure sign of an insane mind~
Oct 7, 2008 11:54 AM
Sep 2008
Really weird, but very good. I'm quite interested how this develops. Great dialogues, which were very funny in parts.
Jan 6, 2009 8:54 PM

Feb 2008
Tracked down this thread because I just had to get some idea of who the heck is watching this thing. Let's face it: It's an 18 years-old OVA series which I suspect few people outside of Japan would've heard of. Even the vintage of the DVD release is 2001...

Anyways I watched the first episode without any clue as to what I was getting myself into. Hadn't read up on the show at all. Didn't have a clue as to who the director was. About halfway into the show I was getting antsy listening to the Inumaru's monologue. But I hung in there. Something about the show compelled me to stick with it.

The article here (http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php?p=196) probably sums a good part of what I found visually compelling about the show. In addition the imagery is very imaginative, sparse and economical. Yes, it's like watching a stage play. And the script has an absurdist comic touch which, when I think about it, reminds me of the movie "Warai no Daigaku" (a movie about a wartime playwright trying to get his stage comedy script approved by a censor who, by his own admission, never laughed).

Oh well...sorry for babbling away. Just glad to see there is a small band of people who admit to having watched this series and enjoyed it.
Aug 14, 2009 9:56 PM

Apr 2008
I definitely get the impression of a stage presentation as well.
Same here

And something that's been bugging me for a long while...what's with Maroko's gold panties?!?!
Oct 7, 2009 1:44 PM

Nov 2008
Well, that was rather odd, but pretty awesome at the same time. It is easily one of the most unique comedy anime I have seen, as well.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Dec 2, 2009 9:49 AM

Mar 2009
This is one great show - the monolougues are well put together intriguing and funny at the same time - I always liked the 80's artwork and quite right one of the strangest sitcoms I have seen in a while - full marks so far

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Jun 20, 2010 11:18 PM

May 2008
Wow... Yeah, I had NO idea what I was getting into (this was voted in for summer session at my anime club in another state). Definitely glad it didn't continue in the vein of the first couple minutes.
Having trouble getting over the art, which seems horrendously dated and cheap even for the vintage of the series, but somehow it works...
The ANN encyclopedia entry for the series says "the structure of a happy family [begins] to collapse" - they don't seem like a happy family at all. They're more highly dysfunctional than, say, The Simpsons, but at the same time it seem more realistic?
I dunno, I don't really have much valuable to say.
Dec 22, 2010 1:50 AM
Aug 2010
tsukikage said:
Wow... Yeah, I had NO idea what I was getting into (this was voted in for summer session at my anime club in another state). Definitely glad it didn't continue in the vein of the first couple minutes.
Having trouble getting over the art, which seems horrendously dated and cheap even for the vintage of the series, but somehow it works...
The ANN encyclopedia entry for the series says "the structure of a happy family [begins] to collapse" - they don't seem like a happy family at all. They're more highly dysfunctional than, say, The Simpsons, but at the same time it seem more realistic?
I dunno, I don't really have much valuable to say.

not generic anime = cheap

derp
Aug 23, 2011 4:12 PM

Apr 2009
When I heard Inumaru's laughter I immediatly thought it was similar to Ataru's from Urusei Yatsura.
And now I found that the seiyuu is the same for both characters. I love him.
Nov 5, 2013 11:05 PM

May 2010
This is the type of anime we need more of in this world! I'm not sure I fully understand what everything was about in this first episode, but I think it will be more rewarding if I revisit it after I finish the series the first time.
“Money can't buy dere”
Oct 11, 2014 11:14 PM
Apr 2011
I agree with what a lot of people on here are saying which is how it is really weird and different but fascinating and draws you in somehow. I actually thought it resembled Angel's Egg from some of the first few scenes just with how time progressed and how the animator took the time to not rush characters doing unremarkable things so its cool to learn that they are done by the same person. I'm glad somebody recommended this to me! Also as a side note I looked into the flower meaning of the goldenrod since it is mentioned so much in the show and it means "good luck to those about to embark on a risky adventure" or something similar which I think actually fits with the show. I don't know if it was intentional but I think it could be. :)
Mar 21, 2016 4:35 PM

Jun 2015
This was something else. Very neat in style, really dialogue-heavy and yet astonishingly solid as a whole.

It's been a long while since I felt 30 minutes feeling this short. I hope all the OVAs deliver, and not just this introductory episode. High hopes
Aug 27, 2017 1:49 PM

Dec 2014
Wow, what a strong start. I really didn't expect this one to be so thoroughly entertaining. Hopefully this manages to be the case for the rest of the episodes, too.

Also: some very interesting art direction happening here. Although I suppose that's only to be expected from a guy such as Mamoru Oshii.
May 22, 2018 11:53 PM

Sep 2014
Wow, that was really something
Dec 13, 2018 3:25 PM

Oct 2012
God damn that was weird. No idea what direction this show is going. Its gonna be a wild ride I know that much.
Apr 12, 2019 5:56 AM

Mar 2012
Wow...can’t believe what I just saw, that was genuinely amazing.
May 18, 2020 12:58 AM
Jul 2018
The direction is so goood, brilliant... the prelude cuckoo story, and more importantly, the opening shot after the opening song..

Loving the animation. Love the quirkiness, drama, set up. love Love the opening song :)

I wish it was not so breathlessly verbal, but it's still very entertaining.

Why do Inumaru's limbs look like that of a toy's?
Jun 18, 2021 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, I don't really understand where the fuck it's going but it sure was a gripping first episode. Love the drama-like directing.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gosenzosama Banbanzai! Episode 6 Discussion

Jacut - Oct 3, 2009

15 by Coolzweg2 »»
Jun 14, 2023 1:42 AM

Poll: » Gosenzosama Banbanzai! Episode 5 Discussion

Fronzel - Mar 17, 2015

4 by removed-user »»
May 19, 2020 10:53 AM

Poll: » Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! Episode 4 Discussion

Unowen - Mar 22, 2016

2 by removed-user »»
May 19, 2020 9:57 AM

Poll: » Gosenzosama Banbanzai! Episode 3 Discussion

Plate - Sep 7, 2008

4 by removed-user »»
May 18, 2020 4:00 AM

Poll: » Gosenzosama Banbanzai! Episode 2 Discussion

Plate - Jun 11, 2008

3 by removed-user »»
May 18, 2020 2:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.