Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 17, 2012 7:42 AM
Dec 2012
I've read that some of you are thinking about a possible "season 2" but then...

what would it be about, like all the characters has moved on and all. Of course this epilogue is a lot like a cliffhanger but then again.. I've seen a lot of animes where the ending of the anime doesn't make any sense, but continues in the manga.
I love this anime and I am not afraid to tell that I cried to the end. T.T
But I like the possibility of Otonashi and Kanade meeting again, and maybe their friends too. Maybe this could be referred to as a possible PROLOGUE that explains that Otanashi was the god whom they all fight against, it was told the god moved on too as I recall. So it had to be. And Otonashi could have retuned to make up for his mistakes as 'god'. My thoughts running wild... ^^"

But this is just me rambling on and on. anyway. I give it a rating of 7/10. Good possible ending anyway. x3
Dec 27, 2012 11:18 AM

Oct 2012
After watching this anime for few times i realized this episode isn't an alternative ending.

First the name of the episode, "Another Epilogue", an epilogue is something that brings closure to a story. An epilogue can't be an alternative ending.

This episode chronologically happens way before than the main story. In that world there was someone waiting, someone that shouldn't be there. The programmer waited for a very long time, alone, until he turned himself into a npc to ease the pain. Otonashi is the programmer, this episode is meant to explain how Otonashi arrived to that world after Kanade when he died first. He was just a npc for a very long time.

He wanted to hear a thank you from the life he saved and for that he waited in that world
Jan 4, 2013 12:18 AM

Sep 2012
oddly enough, otonashi sounds like the "programmer person" the guy in the computer room in episode 12 mentioned. That he was "waiting" for someone (probably kanade) even though the chances are astronomically zero but there's still a chance. all because of love too.
Jan 4, 2013 10:18 AM

Feb 2009
laep said:
After watching this anime for few times i realized this episode isn't an alternative ending.

First the name of the episode, "Another Epilogue", an epilogue is something that brings closure to a story. An epilogue can't be an alternative ending.

This episode chronologically happens way before than the main story. In that world there was someone waiting, someone that shouldn't be there. The programmer waited for a very long time, alone, until he turned himself into a npc to ease the pain. Otonashi is the programmer, this episode is meant to explain how Otonashi arrived to that world after Kanade when he died first. He was just a npc for a very long time.

He wanted to hear a thank you from the life he saved and for that he waited in that world

Sounds plausible...Actually, I'd prefer that to it being an actual alternative ending. Although the theory has its flaws.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jan 8, 2013 6:45 PM
Jul 2018
interesting they should have of made it longer lol. would have of been a great season if they showed him staying behind and helping more people like what happened in the first season.
Jan 18, 2013 11:18 PM
May 2012
Is it just me or does that guy in the beginning of the episode remind you of Edward Elric from FMA well i dunno just me i guess... Aside from that note though... I dont think theres going to be a second season after all it kinda makes sense... he did say he was gonna stay for a while to help the students... and then he probably passed the torch to someone else and later to meet kanade's Reincarnation... Feels like "What Dreams May Come"(Starring Robin williams) all over again or steins gate ending... lol such a mediocre end but nonetheless pretty good, just wished they Elaborated in the anime each persons backstory... like that ninja girl...
Mar 24, 2013 10:24 AM

Oct 2012
Paul said:
I was quite sadden by this episode, not disappointed sadden, emotionally sadden. The fact that Otonashi 'stayed' behind to help other people get through as well as the fact that they stated 'he was waiting for someone'.
Does anyone know what it meant by 'Next Stage" at the end of the OVA/Ep? Kinda lost me there.

During late 2013 they want to make VN that will continue with the story of this world, so that's maybe why Otonashi was left there. This is after all mixed media project. And that's maybe why they didn't explain everything about this world just yet.

But I think that this special was kinda unnecessary. It really changed nothing.
Mar 24, 2013 8:23 PM

Mar 2013
Should I watch this?
Mar 28, 2013 5:46 AM

Sep 2012
LOL, I thought Otonashi was the bad guy...
May 4, 2013 4:11 PM

Sep 2009
Edward Elric

Nothing much to say about this that hasn't been mentioned before. Don't know what to rate it either.
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
May 13, 2013 6:15 PM
Dec 2010
so basically he stayed behind and took over what Angel was doing before him, kinda fitting I guess.
Jun 6, 2013 3:47 PM

Apr 2013
The guy just realized that this world aint real LOL.
This special makes you think that there is going to be a second season. But i doubt that it's going to happen.
Jun 7, 2013 6:01 AM

Jun 2013
he stay..... just like kanade.....to help the people pass on
Jul 8, 2013 2:41 PM

Oct 2012
I wished there was more to this segment, but what can you do? ^_^ Still better than nothing though.
Jul 25, 2013 5:13 PM

Jul 2012
This is kind of like a....hint for the second season?
I suppose so....or maybe it's just an alternate ending....just in case if Otonashi stayed behind. :P
Jul 26, 2013 12:57 PM

Dec 2009
Guys, it's an Alternative Ending to the original one, where Otonashi met Kanade in his new life.

There's not gonna be any second season. The story had a happy end!
I'm very happy he found her.
Aug 21, 2013 7:21 AM

Jan 2013
I hope they will make a second season(because this ova,better saying the ending of the ova means a 2nd season).But thinking better why we need a 2nd season? I mean what the producers will show us there? their life?I think this is the same problem that we have in SAO,they don't have nothing to start to make the 2nd season,same here :D
But if they actually make a 2nd season it would be awesome :)
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 30, 2013 9:52 PM

Nov 2011
That was a fucking cool ending.

Not sure about a Season 2. I would want one but I don't see it coming soon. There is a Angel Beats game to debut soon though.
Sep 2, 2013 6:11 PM

Jul 2009
so alternate ending if he had stayed behind huh?

should have made it a full length episode at least.

gonna watch the other special right now!!

9/10 and i'm treating this as a branch of scenario instead of a separate episode :P
Oct 14, 2013 8:49 PM

May 2013
love this 8/10
Oct 15, 2013 9:55 AM
May 2013
HitzSchorCher said:
he stay..... just like kanade.....to help the people pass on

I hope this won't get a 2nd season because it reached it's maximum potential. If this gets a 2nd season it's going to be bad like 2nd half of
Oct 30, 2013 9:08 AM

Jun 2013
xLastSighAMV said:
Is it possible that the person who Otonashi was waiting for was his sister?

I think he waits for almost everyone. It's always possible that his sister arrive even if she died before him, like Kanade who dies after but was in this world before.

I don't know how to rate this special, but I think it's a good ending. They don't need to do another season. We all understand how the story continue and everything else are unnecessary.
Dec 13, 2013 3:23 PM

May 2013
Otonashi is so badass.
But it's pretty sad since he's waiting for Kanade to come back. (T_T)

I'm hoping for a Season 2, but I don't think that'll be happening soon.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Dec 14, 2013 10:45 PM
Apr 2009
Lots of theories about this apparently, but I'll say my interpretation is basically that it fits with the ending of the series. It's not an alternative take.

As suggested by Kanade having been in the limbo world before Otonashi, time doesn't really flow normally here. Otonashi did not immediately pass on to his next life after Kanade, but he remained as he was unfulfilled with her having left him. This too was implied by the 12th episode. I think it's safe to say he was able to find fulfillment much like she did, and eventually passed on.

I don't think there's any need for a season 2, really. It will just open up threads which don't need opening, and the quality will almost certainly decline.
Feb 9, 2014 9:37 AM

Aug 2010
The hell with this 2 min I want more Angel Beats!............but my Feels o meter can't handle it anymore so no more 2nd season for me this epilogue should have been longer though.
Feb 24, 2014 6:23 AM

Aug 2012
Depressing epilogue .___.

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Mar 6, 2014 10:17 AM

Sep 2013
So Otanashi decided to stay behind to help the other students pass on,they could maybe make a season 2 of that but its not needed. it looks like he is waiting for Kanade to return.
Apr 4, 2014 8:46 PM
Feb 2014
4 years later, we still wait.

My feels have reached a whole new level of feels.
Apr 24, 2014 8:30 PM
Apr 2014
TheGreediest said:
GarLogan78 said:
But this isn't what happened right? This was just what would have happened if he did stay behind.

Thats what I want to believe.

i guess so because in the last episode after the ending song we saw yuzuru in his next life which means he moved on.
May 1, 2014 9:35 AM

Apr 2014
What Does ANOTHER Epilogue tells me...This is "IF"...He stays Behind...
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
May 11, 2014 4:16 PM

Oct 2013
Far, far too short to enjoy. Having this ending fully explored through a longer episode could've made this great, but as it is, it serves almost no purpose whatsoever.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jul 9, 2014 9:07 PM

May 2011
I don't know... this alternate ending just hurts more (though it was worth seeing at least once for the sake of Otonashi). I'll stick to my original, where Otonashi moved on after receiving the biggest "thank you" ever from Kanade.

The reunion at the end of the original, with Otonashi hearing/finding Kanade in another time and place was open-ended, so anything goes.

Until the Visual Novel of course.
Jul 15, 2014 9:06 AM

Nov 2011
Why did I watch this? ;-;

I know this is an alternate ending, but it somehow felt more... I don't know. It wasn't better than the original ending, but it seemed like something Otonoshi would do. Craaaaap.

As badly as I would love a sequel with either ending (or both- hey, why not?), this series would benefit a lot more from a remake and prequel (in that order) before they start trying to add more on. To be honest, I'd be willing to buy DVDs it they remade the show and extended it out across ~24-26 episode rather than 13.

Still, there's no forgetting that. Otonoshi, all alone in the student council, waiting for the girl he loves. That brought me closer to tears than the entirety of the anime. </3
Jul 20, 2014 5:53 AM
Jun 2014
This is my take on it.

Otonashi was in fact the programmer mentioned, and he was there before everyone else. He was waiting for Kanade to arrive, and to let him know that what he donated saved someone's life. He programmed it, so that he forgets everything once they enter, and re-enter as a normal student.

Or he could have got obliterated already, but programmed an NPC that looks like him to help other people move on.

Or he actually did wait for her, because love was formed in this world, where that wasn't allowed, since he wanted to spend all eternity with her, and after helping all of the other move one, he realized that by forming this bond, he didn't want to give up his life, because he wanted to spend it with Kanade.

Anyawys, it's a deep anime, and was amazingly indulging, and had mind boggling twists. All in all, let me know what you think. :D
Jul 31, 2014 10:17 PM

Aug 2013
Im just going to forge ahead with the belief that this was a ONE POSSIBILITY in a land of possible endings. I prefer the idea that Otonashi passes on like everyone else. Besides, in the credits of the ending of the final ep, you see Otonashi fade out last and then you can see him and Kanade in another setting.
Aug 19, 2014 12:06 PM

Sep 2013
I prefer the ending given in episode 13 than this. Still ok!
In every score, there's a feeling...
Sep 11, 2014 6:22 PM

Feb 2013
Otonashi was considering staying to help others... I guess this shows us that possibility. It certainly fits well with the rest of the series.
Sep 15, 2014 10:08 PM
Aug 2014
Question: Was Otonashi the programmer? Because that would explain so much.
If he was the programmer, then he got rebooted from NPC to normal person and that was the start of the show (which would explain Kanade's heart from him) and how that fits into the timeline.
Agree or no?
IvoryOCESep 16, 2014 3:35 PM
Oct 2, 2014 11:30 PM

Aug 2013
I thought this ending would have been more fitting for Otonashi's character than that oversaturated (in colour and light) "ending" presented at the end of the series, which seemed like a fantasy or a dream really.
Mar 21, 2015 10:48 AM

Aug 2014
The continuation of series story... Otonashi-kun is waiting for someone.
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jun 5, 2015 4:46 PM
Feb 2015
Wow for this one he actually stayed behind. He is now the new student president. This is an alternate ending but didn't expect him to stay even though he said he wanted to stay with tachibanna. I was holding it would talk about that ending with tachibanna and him meeting in the real world
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Jun 10, 2015 3:46 PM

Feb 2015
Here's what I would love this to mean. Since the VN has been announced, this could be an alternate ending. It would be amazing if, at the end, they gave you an ultimate decision to either stay (like in this) or leave (like the after credits scene). 2 completely different endings. This would be very ambitious but they could do so much with the VN. I love how the anime ends in complete mystery, but a part of me really wants the VN to keep going. I want to know what it all means! Plus, I really don't think there will be a season 2 (though I don't hate the idea like some people seem to), but I would love to see some animated specials, back stories like Kanade's or even more mysterious ones like this. The options are endless so I really hope that Key do something with it.
Jun 28, 2015 5:07 PM
Feb 2014
This was a great episode. Even though it was short, it was awesome. Art was good and the used "Theme of SSS" OST at the perfect time. It was just perfect.
Jul 31, 2015 8:09 AM

May 2015
It seems like there will be a season 2
याद रखिये ख़ुशी इस बात पर निर्भर नहीं करती कि आप कौन हैं या आपके पास क्या है ; ये पूरी तरह से इस बात पर निर्भर करती है कि आप क्या सोचते हैं

Aug 8, 2015 5:05 AM

Jul 2013
So this is the alternate ending, I meant to watch it straight after the original but forgot for a while.

It was pretty good, I watched a fandub then the subtitled version since there was no official dub version, I don't like the person doing his original voice. That seemed nothing like Otonashi either to me.

It was okay but I think I preferred the other ending.
Sep 1, 2015 11:51 PM

Aug 2013
Well that was interesting. I sat down expecting to watch a full episode. I did like it even though it was only 3 minutes long.
Oct 3, 2015 10:41 AM

Jun 2009
yeah, it's been 5 years since i've watched angel beats and this was kind of a trip for me. pretty useless although fanservicey epilogue, in the end.
Jan 7, 2016 3:24 AM

Jun 2010
Mehn that OST really had my feels rising
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Jan 18, 2016 5:25 AM
Jun 2014
Well, i can't see him ever staying behind. As i can see it the only reason he wanted to stay behind in the first place was to not part with Kanade.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Episode 13 Another Epilogue

earthfairys - Oct 10, 2010

11 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Jun 27, 2022 3:51 PM

» Otonashi circle

JustAnotherShiro - Dec 14, 2019

1 by GreenClock »»
Dec 14, 2019 11:17 AM

» Angel Beats SPOILER

yg01 - May 25, 2018

6 by kevin_satron »»
Oct 4, 2018 4:52 AM

» How this connects to the end of the main series

fang3412 - Jun 6, 2015

1 by ibraheem234 »»
Nov 15, 2015 12:00 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats the best anime....../Another Epilogue

trabeus1 - Sep 10, 2013

38 by Luna »»
Sep 11, 2013 12:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.