Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Are Haru and Sora ALIVE?

Oct 9, 2017 2:47 AM

EMChamp said:

-It is explicitly stated on the "Yosuga no Sora" wiki page under their character bios that both Haru and Sora do not know how to swim. In fact, earlier in Nao's arc, Haruka almost drowns/dies in the beach scene.

The wiki is lying. Sora is proven to be able to swim in the visual novel.

https://i.imgur.com/RxCNSUm.png
I don't accept random friend requests, but feel free to PM me if you want to talk about something i've posted or talk about some anime/manga that i've seen.

Feb 21, 2018 2:19 AM
Hmm... I see why people are saying that Sora and Haru died at the end but logicaly it makes no sense, and also makes no sense. I will state some reasons why I think they are alive.

1. The ripped up bunny was sewn back together, this might make no sense to you but hear me out. You can sorta see the sew marks at the end of episode 12 when Haru and Sora are on the train. You may be thinking "But the gang was looking at their house and the bunny was still their!" here is my explanation for that in reason 2.

2. When the whole gang went to their house it was BEFORE Haru and Sora went to the house to retrieve it. Hear me out on this, after Sora "rescued" Haru (in quations becausd i may be wrong unlikely though). So after Sora rescued Haru they supposedly made love all night. Maybe they werent at the house yet and they didn't think to get it last second, and this brings me to my 3rd reason to why they are NOT dead.

3. This reason is the biggest and most OBVIOUS one, DEAD PEOPLE CAN NOT TEXT!! It was seen that Haru texted one of the peoplefriend group (the one who plays the violine forgot her name) recieved an update text from Haru saying that they boarded a train to move elsewhere. People are saying that the violine character (again, forgot her name) stole the phone inside the house to text herself, this therory is 100% FALSE IN EVERY WAY IMAGINABLE!! Here is why!!
First of all, why on earth would she do that? She has no reasoning to do that.
Second off she knew NOTHING about Haru and Soras incestuous relationship at the time so how could she get into THAT much detail, see it makes no sense! This brings me into number 4 a reason that confuses me the most of me deciding of they are alive or dead.

4. Number 4 makes me think if they are alive or dead,
The sense where Sora saves Haru and herselfs life, I don't know HOW Sora got the strength of to be able to pull Haru up out of the water and pull him up a flight of stairs, I have a semi-explanation why this happens and why this happened and why they did not die AT ALL. In dangerous situations ALL humans are known to get UNBELIEVABLE strength when in a certaint type of sitaution (ex: your mom is trapped under a car and might die) when humans acquire this strength they get stronger than they normally get. Thus Sora was able to save Haru and take him to shore. And this brings me into reason number 5!

5. If they died I'm pretty sure the author would say so and wouldn't give bullshit hints?
The fact that people are saying that they died makes me confuses and angry, why would the author create a beautiful anime novel just to have them die at the end? If the author comes out and says "Yes, Haru and Sora die at the end" that would make me beyond pissed off and basically ruin the entire anime for me. The author only has 1 reason to make them doe at the end, its for them to finnaly be somewhere where they are not in fear of being "accepted"by others, I can see why the author would do this but seriously? They would kill them off JUST because they are not accepted by most people? Seems like BARELY a reason to me.

Well that wraps up all the reasons why I think they didn't die and the end, feel free to reply I will respond anywhere from 1 minute -1 week.
Made this summary 2-21-18
The wiki says Sora cannot swim thus she would not be able to save Haru.
The wiki is lying. Sora is proven to be able to swim in the visual novel.

https://i.imgur.com/RxCNSUm.png
Credit to the dude who posted this first
Modified by _CasualAnimeFan_, Feb 21, 2018 6:58 PM

Mar 14, 1:20 PM
I just finished this anime, and I will say this. Although there is an abundance of evidence pointing towards the fact that they very well could be dead, I’m still going to say that they are alive. But one thing I noticed was when Akira was talking about the lake and saying that it has mystical powers and can make you reborn. When they are on the rain in the last scene they are wearing the same outfits as when the anime started. Haru also has a suitcase, but when their friends went to look theough the windows, it looked as disheveled as when Sora and him left it before the lake scene. Also, Sora’s teddy Bear was in pieces laying on the bed, but it’s shown completely intact and by her side on the train. Neither one of them could swim, but there was a scene where Nao was teaching Haru the basics at the pool. I don’t think either death would just be swept under the rug, since their parents seemed to be widely known around town. And even if the text was fake, their aunt and uncle were supposedly coming to take them away, so I’m pretty sure there would be some light shed on their disappearance once they showed up and it seemed like it had been a little while from what their friends claimed when they met up. And just, that’s a lot of sneaking and lying to your friends when you know the truth, I just don’t see that happening. BUT... let’s say that they did die. Maybe the fact that they were wearing the same clothes at the end, and his bearing a suitcase was symbolic, showing us that the lake did give them a chance to be reborn in another life and start over. When he asked were they alive, Sora didn’t answer him. He was also saying that maybe it would be better for them if it were that way, if they could be somewhere else or whatever he said when they were drowning. I honestly feel like it could go either way, and there is evidence that supports each theory.

Apr 18, 1:42 AM
4/18/2019 still searching for haruka no sora , were they got married and a child is on the way ............. gawd help me seach it .

May 11, 2:52 PM
They are alive. Unless you mean to tell me that dead people can: a) Get wet; b) Have sex; c) Not know they're dead, which sounds like something M. Night Shamalam would come up with (not going to spoil you which movie I'm talking about, but those who've seen it know); d) Eat Pocki while travelling on a train people think will take them to heaven, which for some reason is quite similar to the one they took to get to the village in the first place (it has those ventilators on the ceiling), while carrying luggage with them, cause of course you need a suitcase for the afterlife! .......

Jokes aside, I really do believe this. Sora can swim and if you look carefully when they're lying on the staircase to the lake you can see a trail of water coming out of it, all the way to where they are, a result of her dragging her wet brother to safety; despite being weak and frail, she has shown moments of increased strength, like when she destroyed her whole room, or slapped Haru to the ground when fending off a mosquito; add in the adrenaline boost and will to save the person she cared about the most while they were drowning, and her saving him isn't that far-fetched (she did so in the VN and manga). I once read of this person who saved someone who weighed 40 kilograms more that him, simply thanks to said 'adrenaline rush'. Sora never did confirm with words to Haru whether they were alive or not, but she did smile, which can be seen as a yes, in a way; do remember that in the manga Haru asked her a similar question (Am I still alive?) and Sora never answered, yet in that adaptation it's given for granted that they're alive (since it's pretty obvious). Kazuha tilting her head to the right and looking away while denying having received other texts doesn't necessarily mean she was lying about it; after all, the anime trope isn't only used to show that someone is lying, but also to add extra drama to a scene, emphasising in this case Kazuha's sadness from not having received any more news from the twins; that's up to the viewer's interpretation. A lot of people point out that the email she received was a fake, since it had no from field. This could be true, although it's important to consider that Haru would have had to send said email from a device that wasn't his or Sora's cellphone, since both of them would have been fried due to the water in the lake. He could have done so from a device in Europe, since by the time the email was sent, it confirmed the twins had reached their destination. Also, while their friends are checking out the house, when Nao is looking on the inside you can see the sheet and cushions the twins used to sleep on. If you remember clearly, in a previous scene, when Haruka discoveres Sora's suicide note, there are 2 cushions, both on each corner of the sheet. In the scene where Nao is inspecting the room however, you can only see 1 cushion and it's rather centered compared to where it was in the earlier scene, which was the last time anyone entered the house before Sora disappeared, Haru being the last one to leave. The only possible explanation I see for the cushion having been moved is someone having slept there the previous nights, that someone being the twins after they survived their near-death experience. And finally, the intact bunny on the train: someone pointed out in the WMG section of 'Yosuga no Sora-Tv tropes' that it was confirmed to be an editor's mistake. Even if this weren't true (and I do believe it isn't true, because I myself couldn't find such information), remember that Haru was there when his mother gave Sora the bunny, which means he most likely knew where to get another one, one that not only would be a memento of the mother, but also a symbol of them starting a new life together, not as siblings, but as lovers trying to find happiness under the distant European sky...
These are the reasons why I believe they survived.

Edit: I realised 2 things a few weeks ago: 1) the email actually says 'From: Haruka Kasugano (name written in Japanese)'. What it actually lacks is a sender's address and a date; 2) the email being a fake doesn't actually prove they died; I've already explained the reasons for this last point though on other Yosuga no Sora MAL discussions, so I'll avoid repeating myself here. Just thought I'd point these out.
Modified by Lekkain, May 27, 5:43 AM

May 27, 11:52 PM
Does anyone else think the twins died at the end? Because:

1. The stuffed rabbit was seen still ripped up in sora's bedroom, when their friends visited their house after they supposedly left. Then when you see them on the train in the end, the rabbit is in one piece and with sora. A rabbit that she keeps as a memento from her mother doesn't seem to be something so easily and quickly replaced.

2. The text message that Kazuha got, you can see there wasn't an email address on it, even though she was reading an email. Yes, in Japan it's easier to text through email than sms. why? you may ask. It might just be easier to cope with loss of two friends, if they all just believe they moved away. They said it themselves, sora and haru were the glue that kept their circle together. It would have been devastating to suddenly lose people like that. Also when she's reading the text, she looks away in the typical anime trope fashion, signaling to the audience that she's lying.

3. Sora and haru don't know how to swim. Even if Sora knew how to swim in the VN, it's evident she couldn't in the anime. She started drowning the second she got into the deep end. There also wasn't any scenes in the show that indicated she could swim and Haru told Nao he needed swimming lessons. Even if Sora even did know how to swim, how exactly would a character frequently described as weak and frail, be able to carry her larger brother out of the water and up some steps when he's fully unconscious? Especially with the fact that when they both started sinking, Sora was powerless to keep them afloat.

Jun 17, 5:04 PM
Lekkain said:
They are alive. Unless you mean to tell me that dead people can: a) Get wet; b) Have sex; c) Not know they're dead, which sounds like something M. Night Shamalam would come up with (not going to spoil you which movie I'm talking about, but those who've seen it know); d) Eat Pocki while travelling on a train people think will take them to heaven, which for some reason is quite similar to the one they took to get to the village in the first place (it has those ventilators on the ceiling), while carrying luggage with them, cause of course you need a suitcase for the afterlife! .......

Jokes aside, I really do believe this. Sora can swim and if you look carefully when they're lying on the staircase to the lake you can see a trail of water coming out of it, all the way to where they are, a result of her dragging her wet brother to safety; despite being weak and frail, she has shown moments of increased strength, like when she destroyed her whole room, or slapped Haru to the ground when fending off a mosquito; add in the adrenaline boost and will to save the person she cared about the most while they were drowning, and her saving him isn't that far-fetched (she did so in the VN and manga). I once read of this person who saved someone who weighed 40 kilograms more that him, simply thanks to said 'adrenaline rush'. Sora never did confirm with words to Haru whether they were alive or not, but she did smile, which can be seen as a yes, in a way; do remember that in the manga Haru asked her a similar question (Am I still alive?) and Sora never answered, yet in that adaptation it's given for granted that they're alive (since it's pretty obvious). Kazuha tilting her head to the right and looking away while denying having received other texts doesn't necessarily mean she was lying about it; after all, the anime trope isn't only used to show that someone is lying, but also to add extra drama to a scene, emphasising in this case Kazuha's sadness from not having received any more news from the twins; that's up to the viewer's interpretation. A lot of people point out that the email she received was a fake, since it had no from field. This could be true, although it's important to consider that Haru would have had to send said email from a device that wasn't his or Sora's cellphone, since both of them would have been fried due to the water in the lake. He could have done so from a device in Europe, since by the time the email was sent, it confirmed the twins had reached their destination. Also, while their friends are checking out the house, when Nao is looking on the inside you can see the sheet and cushions the twins used to sleep on. If you remember clearly, in a previous scene, when Haruka discoveres Sora's suicide note, there are 2 cushions, both on each corner of the sheet. In the scene where Nao is inspecting the room however, you can only see 1 cushion and it's rather centered compared to where it was in the earlier scene, which was the last time anyone entered the house before Sora disappeared, Haru being the last one to leave. The only possible explanation I see for the cushion having been moved is someone having slept there the previous nights, that someone being the twins after they survived their near-death experience. And finally, the intact bunny on the train: someone pointed out in the WMG section of 'Yosuga no Sora-Tv tropes' that it was confirmed to be an editor's mistake. Even if this weren't true (and I do believe it isn't true, because I myself couldn't find such information), remember that Haru was there when his mother gave Sora the bunny, which means he most likely knew where to get another one, one that not only would be a memento of the mother, but also a symbol of them starting a new life together, not as siblings, but as lovers trying to find happiness under the distant European sky...

Edit: I realised 2 things a few weeks ago: 1) the email actually says 'From: Haruka Kasugano (name written in Japanese)'. What it actually lacks is a sender's address and a date; 2) the email being a fake doesn't actually prove they died; I've already explained the reasons for this last point though on other Yosuga no Sora MAL discussions, so I'll avoid repeating myself here. Just thought I'd point these out.

Well...shit, you're everywhere in these discussions! I'll admit, I was in doubt before regarding their fate and decided to suspend my judgement until further notice. However, now that I've read all the posts (and I mean ALL OF THEM!), yours are the ones that provide the most evidence and attention to detail. I'm referring to the others you posted on MAL too, since you just happen to be all over the place and didn't put all the details into this single post (you could have been more consistent from this point of view, but whatever). Despite all the doubts I had before, now I just cannot unsee the Kasugano twins being alive and living happily abroad. Guess I'm forced to vote for them being alive now, huh? So much for my suspended judgement...
But seriously dude, how in the name of everything that is incest did you notice that misplaced cushion in the 'Detective Nao' scene?! You're pretty much the first and only guy that pointed that out. Everyone else, including myself, just tended to focus on the bunny Akira sees. Wish I had your attention to detail...

Jul 2, 5:23 AM
Beltzebrute said:
Lekkain said:

Well...shit, you're everywhere in these discussions! I'll admit, I was in doubt before regarding their fate and decided to suspend my judgement until further notice. However, now that I've read all the posts (and I mean ALL OF THEM!), yours are the ones that provide the most evidence and attention to detail. I'm referring to the others you posted on MAL too, since you just happen to be all over the place and didn't put all the details into this single post (you could have been more consistent from this point of view, but whatever). Despite all the doubts I had before, now I just cannot unsee the Kasugano twins being alive and living happily abroad. Guess I'm forced to vote for them being alive now, huh? So much for my suspended judgement...
But seriously dude, how in the name of everything that is incest did you notice that misplaced cushion in the 'Detective Nao' scene?! You're pretty much the first and only guy that pointed that out. Everyone else, including myself, just tended to focus on the bunny Akira sees. Wish I had your attention to detail...

It's not so much attention to detail than it is 'rewatch half of the last episode many times'. After a few watches you're bound to notice something new related to whether they're dead/alive. I just happened to notice more stuff that pointed at them being alive. The only other ending I ended up watching even more times is that of John Carpenter's 'The Thing', and I still can't figure that one out.

Jul 2, 4:40 PM
Lekkain said:
Beltzebrute said:

It's not so much attention to detail than it is 'rewatch half of the last episode many times'. After a few watches you're bound to notice something new related to whether they're dead/alive. I just happened to notice more stuff that pointed at them being alive. The only other ending I ended up watching even more times is that of John Carpenter's 'The Thing', and I still can't figure that one out.

Wait, seriously?! Did you really just waste time rewatching half an episode just to figure something out?! Sucks to be you! Should have just come here and read the comments!

Jul 2, 5:15 PM
Beltzebrute said:
Lekkain said:

Wait, seriously?! Did you really just waste time rewatching half an episode just to figure something out?! Sucks to be you! Should have just come here and read the comments!

Yeah...just like you wasted your time reading ALL THE COMMENTS! I had already read them, although I wasn't satisfied enough, so I decided to rewatch just to see if something had been missed. Turns out, as you yourself pointed out, that no one had noticed the cushion being misplaced. Or maybe they did, but never wrote about it or didn't think it was important. The other 3 details that led me to think they survived were the trail of water, the bruise on Haruka's leg and the suitcase on the train. Rewatching the scenes in conjunction with reading these comments did help in determining their fate. Also...you first compliment me for my attention to detail (which in all honesty I lack) to then just call me a sucker for 'wasting time'; what gives?!

Jul 2, 6:29 PM
Lekkain said:
Beltzebrute said:

Yeah...just like you wasted your time reading ALL THE COMMENTS! I had already read them, although I wasn't satisfied enough, so I decided to rewatch just to see if something had been missed. Turns out, as you yourself pointed out, that no one had noticed the cushion being misplaced. Or maybe they did, but never wrote about it or didn't think it was important. The other 3 details that led me to think they survived were the trail of water, the bruise on Haruka's leg and the suitcase on the train. Rewatching the scenes in conjunction with reading these comments did help in determining their fate. Also...you first compliment me for my attention to detail (which in all honesty I lack) to then just call me a sucker for 'wasting time'; what gives?!

Sorry about that last one, I didn't mean to insult you. Thing is, I had this view of the ending being perfectly ambiguous and thought nothing could change it. Nothing did. In fact while reading through the comments, I felt even more convinced of my view. That is, until I got to yours, which just happened to be the last ones in each discussion. By piecing everything you wrote together, I realised Haru and Sora were indeed alive, and that the ending is much more straightforward than I originally thought. As much as I tried to deny it, I couldn't unsee that anymore. Hell, it kind of feels stupid just to even consider the thought that they died! So, while I do kind of admire you for being able to change my view, I also somewhat resent you for breaking it completely, which is probably why I was a bit mean before. I now think they're alive and it's all your fault!

Jul 3, 4:55 AM
Beltzebrute said:
Lekkain said:

Sorry about that last one, I didn't mean to insult you. Thing is, I had this view of the ending being perfectly ambiguous and thought nothing could change it. Nothing did. In fact while reading through the comments, I felt even more convinced of my view. That is, until I got to yours, which just happened to be the last ones in each discussion. By piecing everything you wrote together, I realised Haru and Sora were indeed alive, and that the ending is much more straightforward than I originally thought. As much as I tried to deny it, I couldn't unsee that anymore. Hell, it kind of feels stupid just to even consider the thought that they died! So, while I do kind of admire you for being able to change my view, I also somewhat resent you for breaking it completely, which is probably why I was a bit mean before. I now think they're alive and it's all your fault!

Oh, okay...sorry, I didn't mean to crush your views so badly. But since I did, umm, sucks to be you, I guess?
Jokes aside, I'm not angry at you or anything; I just felt weirded out by your dicotomic attitude. My only intent was to post what I learnt/knew about the ending and see the reactions (assuming there were going to be any). Given your responses, it worked, in a way. Admittedly, though, you're right about the fact that I could've been more consistent with my posts instead of leaving clues all over MAL.
Modified by Lekkain, Jul 3, 5:00 AM

Jul 3, 3:24 PM
Lekkain said:
Beltzebrute said:

Oh, okay...sorry, I didn't mean to crush your views so badly. But since I did, umm, sucks to be you, I guess?
Jokes aside, I'm not angry at you or anything; I just felt weirded out by your dicotomic attitude. My only intent was to post what I learnt/knew about the ending and see the reactions (assuming there were going to be any). Given your responses, it worked, in a way. Admittedly, though, you're right about the fact that I could've been more consistent with my posts instead of leaving clues all over MAL.

Ha! Point taken for using my own words against me.
Sorry again for calling you a sucker, but because you just did the same, even if you were joking, I suppose now we could say we're even! That said, despite their fate having been determined, I still haven't had enough of this pairing. Not yet, at any rate. I shall now take my leave to search after the following 2 dawns for possible fanfictions! Therefore, I salute you, "perfectly-ambiguous-ending destroyer"!

Jul 3, 6:10 PM
Beltzebrute said:
Lekkain said:

Sorry again for calling you a sucker, but because you just did the same, even if you were joking, I suppose now we could say we're even! That said, despite their fate having been determined, I still haven't had enough of this pairing. Not yet, at any rate. I shall now take my leave to search after the following 2 dawns for possible fanfictions! Therefore, I salute you, "perfectly-ambiguous-ending destroyer"!

That's an oddly specific way to say you'll be searching for fics; also, what's up with naming me as if I were an anime villain?! You're making me sound like an extra outcast monster from Power Rangers!
There aren't many Yosuga no Sora fanfictions out there; there is one, however, that is currently ongoing and pretty well written. It's on chapter 12 at the moment and a new chapter update regularly occurs about once a month. The length of the chapters though more than makes up for the wait. Try it out, that should keep you busy. It's easy to find, usually amongst the first few results when searching for these specific fanfictions. I won't spoil you its name though, since I already feel so guilty for spoiling you the ending of the anime...
Good luck in your search!

Jul 3, 6:29 PM

A lot of people arguing for them being alive, but it seems pretty obvious to me that they are dead and that this is the intention of the author.

I read most replies here and has seen nothing that convinces me otherwise.
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Jul 4, 5:10 AM
Lekkain said:
Beltzebrute said:

That's an oddly specific way to say you'll be searching for fics; also, what's up with naming me as if I were an anime villain?! You're making me sound like an extra outcast monster from Power Rangers!
There aren't many Yosuga no Sora fanfictions out there; there is one, however, that is currently ongoing and pretty well written. It's on chapter 12 at the moment and a new chapter update regularly occurs about once a month. The length of the chapters though more than makes up for the wait. Try it out, that should keep you busy. It's easy to find, usually amongst the first few results when searching for these specific fanfictions. I won't spoil you its name though, since I already feel so guilty for spoiling you the ending of the anime...
Good luck in your search!

You and that damn sharp tongue of yours...Assuming you aren't leading me on a wild goose chase, I'll check it out. Can't say I like the idea of having to wait a month for each update, but whatever works I guess.

Jul 4, 5:13 AM
Jokuc said:
A lot of people arguing for them being alive, but it seems pretty obvious to me that they are dead and that this is the intention of the author.

I'm glad you at least got to preserve your take on the finale. Gotta envy your consistency!

Jul 4, 8:35 AM

Beltzebrute said:
Jokuc said:

I'm glad you at least got to preserve your take on the finale. Gotta envy your consistency!

I mean there are a whole bunch of reasons to why I think that is, but just the name of the anime is enough. It even tells you how the show ends!
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Jul 4, 8:40 AM
Jokuc said:
Beltzebrute said:

I mean there are a whole bunch of reasons to why I think that is, but just the name of the anime is enough. It even tells you how the show ends!

That's what I thought too at first regarding the name of the show. Then I remembered it was the same name of the manga, where they live, so I couldn't keep it into consideration.

Sep 5, 2:29 PM
PerlaNemesis said:
They are alive as it was shown at the end.

The simplist answer, yet the most effective; this topic is just dumb. I really cannot grasp how a few not-so-certain hints are enough to prove they are dead.

-The Akira/Kazuha fake text plot has been debunked through logic; not only that, but Mrs Violinist was asked a very specific question: whether she had received 'any more messages' from the two, to which she denied, averting her look. If she was lying, it was about having received other texts, which means she would have received them, but hidden them from everyone else; why do that? Her averting her gaze was played for extra drama effect and nothing more. Happens a lot in many other anime I've seen and videogames with 'anime visuals', if you can call it that. It's pretty annoying, actually. If she had really faked the e-mail, she wouldn't have been so specific about the details either: for example, why say 'we went to live with an artisan who had connections with our parents' when she could have simply written 'our relatives took us in'? It's evident the email is real and from harem boy.

-The sentence uttered by Haruka regarding whether they were alive or not seems to be a question expressing doubt, at least until you look at it carefully: it wasn't really a 'question', more like a reassurance. He said the sentence not as 'Are we alive?', but rather, "We're alive, right?" as if to reassure his sister/lover/whatever-she-is that it was all alright now, since they were both okay, together, and the worst hadn't happened. The fact that he said it with a smile, while she smiled back to him, silently confirming his assertion, just confirms it further: no 'oral' answer was needed, they were alive, and they both knew it.

-The bunny on the train is pointless and confusing, no matter how I look at it: if you consider them alive, it seems like a cheap rip-off of the real torn up one which held sentimental value to the sister. If you like to think the train is taking them to heaven and they're dead, the bunny makes even less sense than if they were alive; not only because it itself is just a copy of the real torn up one Shrine girl saw, but also, why would she need a memento of the mother if she is going to meet her in heaven? Or is it that the twins' parents never got to heaven, because their train broke down? Am I overthinking this? Also, where did they get that pochi box on the train? Was it from a holy vending machine? Saint's Bar? The divine Supermarket? How did they change clothes after the lake scene? And most importantly...why would they have a damn suitcase with them if they're travelling to the afterlife?! Do gods discriminate those who bring no change of clothes?! Or did all this stuff magically materialize inside the not-so-supernatural-looking train?
This whole anime was rushed: between the romances seeming unrealistic because they were too quick and the weird pacing, and the fact that apparently they cut quite a few scenes from the original source material, the only love story that sounded the most believable was, ironically, the incest one. I believe that because of this, the bunny was indeed an unintentional mistake; or they just felt like trolling us.
I'm not even going to mention all the proof of them being alive, since someone else has already done that for me. Needless to say, it's more than enough to make it painfully obvious that they survived the lake. The only thing missing to make it even more obvious would have been the train conductor saying: "Next stop: Sweet Home Alabama!" I say painfully, because I for one would've preferred it if they had died in the end; it would have made for a much more bitter and better ending, considering the seriousness of the topic. Unfortunately, I'm not that blind as to let my wish for a more dramatic ending cloud my judgment regarding what actually happened, unless someone is able to convince me otherwise...somehow. If they had cut out the second part of the lake scene, you know, the one where they were shown to be alive, and removed that suitcase from Paradise Express along with the text, then I would have believed them dead. Unfortunately, that isn't the case.
Note: all these considerations are coming from someone who's never tried the VN or manga of this...and probably never will; is it true that they also live there?

That said, this anime still deserves a solid 8: the visuals were good, the music was excellent, albeit sometimes repetitive, the arcs got better and slightly darker the more they progressed and they were able to present the last arc in a way that made it serious/dramatic/realistic. It would have scored higher had they -A) killed off the twins at the end, and -B) made each arc, especially the maid one, which felt so out of place at the end of each episode, longer. 8 is still pretty good though. Not the most memorable of animes I've watched though: saw it 7 years ago, so I had to rewatch it recently to remember it...I only found out about the death theory 3 days ago, by randomly spotting comments here. Just goes to show how not once, but twice it was too obvious that they survived, and it wasn't until external intervention that I ended up on this poll page.

I'll continue this...no, wait...I can finally rest my case.
Modified by Saturos-001, Sep 7, 2:41 PM

Sep 7, 2:45 PM
Jokuc said:
Beltzebrute said:

Then please do enlighten me regarding such reasons. I see them as alive, but I'd like to believe them dead; maybe there is something I missed; something that can persuade me to click that 'No' button, since I haven't voted yet.

Sep 7, 2:53 PM
Beltzebrute said:
Lekkain said:

Stupid touch screen, I almost ended up reporting you for no reason.
Someone mentioned that either ending was fitting, since they are both together and happy at the end of it. Was it you perhaps? If so, why feel frustrated about your views changing if either end was good from the start?

Sep 8, 7:58 AM
Saturos-001 said:
Beltzebrute said:

Someone mentioned that either ending was fitting, since they are both together and happy at the end of it. Was it you perhaps? If so, why feel frustrated about your views changing if either end was good from the start?

It's not so much which ending fits best for me. I would have been fine with both. It's more the fact that someone was able to change my mind through reason and logic. I just can't stand it when someone does that! I'm usually consistent with my thoughts, so when they change due to factors that aren't determined by me, it irritates me.
A LOT!

Sep 9, 4:03 AM
Beltzebrute said:
Saturos-001 said:

It's not so much which ending fits best for me. I would have been fine with both. It's more the fact that someone was able to change my mind through reason and logic. I just can't stand it when someone does that! I'm usually consistent with my thoughts, so when they change due to factors that aren't determined by me, it irritates me.
A LOT!

That explains it; though change is good occasionally. Given your current location and sentence on your profile, I'd say you're Italian and you've done or are completing your studies in Italy. If that is the case, I'm sure you've heard of, or even studied the poet Gabriele D'Annunzio: one of his catchphrases was 'in order to be consistent with myself, I need to constantly change myself.' Something along those lines at any rate. I'm sure you can figure out how that makes sense.
Still, I'm surprised on how 1 guy was able to change your mind: all he did was summarize parts of the last episode all over MAL pointing out the already evident details; anyone should've noticed them without help from the comment section. Yourself included.
I will give him credit though for how he debunked the Kazuha/Akira fake text plot point through logic. I appreciate those who show keen thinking aside from a persistent attention to detail.

Sep 9, 2:06 PM
Saturos-001 said:
Beltzebrute said:

A LOT!

That explains it; though change is good occasionally. Given your current location and sentence on your profile, I'd say you're Italian and you've done or are completing your studies in Italy. If that is the case, I'm sure you've heard of, or even studied the poet Gabriele D'Annunzio: one of his catchphrases was 'in order to be consistent with myself, I need to constantly change myself.' Something along those lines at any rate. I'm sure you can figure out how that makes sense.
Still, I'm surprised on how 1 guy was able to change your mind: all he did was summarize parts of the last episode all over MAL pointing out the already evident details; anyone should've noticed them without help from the comment section. Yourself included.
I will give him credit though for how he debunked the Kazuha/Akira fake text plot point through logic. I appreciate those who show keen thinking aside from a persistent attention to detail.

Well sooorrrryyyy if my observational skills suck! But the last thing I expected was, no offence, for a Sri-Lankan, if that is your nationality, to mention one of our poets. How did you know of him? Scratch that. How did you form such precise thoughts on the ending within less than 3 days? And how are you so sure about it; the ending, I mean?

Sep 9, 4:14 PM
Beltzebrute said:
Saturos-001 said:

Well sooorrrryyyy if my observational skills suck! But the last thing I expected was, no offence, for a Sri-Lankan, if that is your nationality, to mention one of our poets. How did you know of him? Scratch that. How did you form such precise thoughts on the ending within less than 3 days? And how are you so sure about it; the ending, I mean?

I teach Philosophy; Nietzsche's Ubermensch is often compared to D'Annunzio's Superman. I am expected to know one just as well as the other. Just as I am expected to process thoughts as quickly as possible. I apply this to anime as well; you can give a variety of interpretations to some elements of the ending: the lack of an answer, a look which may hide a lie behind it, a torn up object then magically restored in the following scenes...if we assume it to be the same object, which is unlikely, considering one was torn up at home, the other one was on the train unscathed; they were two different bunnies. The one thing we cannot interpret is two sopping wet people lying on stairs with a water trail leading to them. Unless you are somehow able to prove they are zombies, then such beings are still alive. Everything else, every interpretation after that, I base on that scene. That is why I'm sure of it.
That isn't to say I am unwilling to change my thoughts: I'm still hoping someone can whack my brain a little with some good reasoning and convince me otherwise...somehow. That's why I still haven't voted, even though I'm currently certain of the outcome.
Modified by Saturos-001, 5 hours ago

Sep 10, 3:24 AM
Saturos-001 said:
Beltzebrute said:

I teach Philosophy; Nietzsche's Ubermensch is often compared to D'Annunzio's Superman. I am expected to know one just as well as the other. Just as I am expected to process thoughts as quickly as possible. I apply this to anime as well; you can give a variety of interpretations to some elements of the ending: the lack of an answer, a look which may hide a lie behind it, a torn up object then magically restored in the following scenes...if we assume it to be the same object. The one thing we cannot interpret is two sopping wet people lying on stairs with a water trail leading to them. Unless you are somehow able to prove they are zombies, then such beings are still alive. Everything else, every interpretation after that, I base on that scene. That is why I'm sure of it.
That isn't to say I am unwilling to change my thoughts: I'm still hoping someone can whack my brain a little with some good reasoning and convince me otherwise...somehow. That's why I still haven't voted, even though I'm currently certain of the outcome.

I feel like I'm being schooled again...
"Still haven't voted, but sure of the outcome?" Aren't you just delaying the inevitable? I'd be surprised if 1 guy was able to change YOUR thoughts!

Sep 10, 12:26 PM
Beltzebrute said:
Saturos-001 said:

I teach Philosophy; Nietzsche's Ubermensch is often compared to D'Annunzio's Superman. I am expected to know one just as well as the other. Just as I am expected to process thoughts as quickly as possible. I apply this to anime as well; you can give a variety of interpretations to some elements of the ending: the lack of an answer, a look which may hide a lie behind it, a torn up object then magically restored in the following scenes...if we assume it to be the same object. The one thing we cannot interpret is two sopping wet people lying on stairs with a water trail leading to them. Unless you are somehow able to prove they are zombies, then such beings are still alive. Everything else, every interpretation after that, I base on that scene. That is why I'm sure of it.

"Still haven't voted, but sure of the outcome?" Aren't you just delaying the inevitable? I'd be surprised if 1 guy was able to change YOUR thoughts!

Witty reply, I'm glad you noticed the discrepancy in both my thought process and phrasing. Though I'd rather wait until the end of the week before voting, in hopes that someone may cause me to doubt myself. Until then, I have a few brains to fill.

Sep 11, 2:18 PM
Saturos-001 said:
Beltzebrute said:

Witty reply, I'm glad you noticed the discrepancy in both my thought process and phrasing. Though I'd rather wait until the end of the week before voting, in hopes that someone may cause me to doubt myself. Until then, I have a few brains to fill.

Then start by filling your own brain with some of this info: the second half of the lake scene definitely isn't their afterlife, given all the facts that prove otherwise, but for all we know it could be a dying hallucination or some sort of recreated reality to give them a chance to confess to each other before they are sent off. The text could still very well be a fake, given Kazuha's attitude; maybe she found the bodies on her own and got rid of them through her wealth. In the opening theme, we see Sora at the bottom of the lake becoming of purple hue. Purple in Japanese culture represents nobility; on a more general note though, it can depict magic, as in the same magic that was perhaps preparing/taking her soul to the afterlife. Sora not answering could be because she honestly didn't know, or because she knew there was something fishy on how they survived. You bring up a good point about the bunny not making sense/being relevant to their death, so I won't address it. However, in the same train scene, which is exclusive to the anime, all you can see is clouds. Perhaps they are going to the distant sky (name of the episode), as in...that of heaven. Even if this doesn't happen to convince you they're dead, it should at least make you consider the possibility the ending was left ambiguous.

Sep 12, 4:04 AM
Lekkain said:
Saturos-001 said:

Then start by filling your own brain with some of this info: the second half of the lake scene definitely isn't their afterlife, given all the facts that prove otherwise, but for all we know it could be a dying hallucination or some sort of recreated reality to give them a chance to confess to each other before they are sent off. The text could still very well be a fake, given Kazuha's attitude; maybe she found the bodies on her own and got rid of them through her wealth. In the opening theme, we see Sora at the bottom of the lake becoming of purple hue. Purple in Japanese culture represents nobility; on a more general note though, it can depict magic, as in the same magic that was perhaps preparing/taking her soul to the afterlife. Sora not answering could be because she honestly didn't know, or because she knew there was something fishy on how they survived. You bring up a good point about the bunny not making sense/being relevant to their death, so I won't address it. However, in the same train scene, which is exclusive to the anime, all you can see is clouds. Perhaps they are going to the distant sky (name of the episode), as in...that of heaven. Even if this doesn't happen to convince you they're dead, it should at least make you consider the possibility the ending was left ambiguous.

Why are you of all people responding? Haven't you already given your proof regarding them being alive? If so, have you already changed your mind on their fate? Or is there more to this?
I won't address your points now simply because I'm out of time. I will reply later though, so be ready.

Sep 12, 6:10 AM
Saturos-001 said:
Lekkain said:

Why are you of all people responding? Haven't you already given your proof regarding them being alive? If so, have you already changed your mind on their fate? Or is there more to this?
I won't address your points now simply because I'm out of time. I will reply later though, so be ready.

Changed my mind? Who knows...
A little bird just happened to mention your dilemma to me. Well, it was more like a Revan. I mean raven! Raven... You'll get the stupid joke if you check his profile pic.

Sep 13, 4:23 AM
Lekkain said:
Saturos-001 said:

A little bird just happened to mention your dilemma to me. Well, it was more like a Revan. I mean raven! Raven... You'll get the stupid joke if you check his profile pic.

Pardon my tardiness in replying, I was busy. Your joke assumes that I know something of Star Wars Expanded Universe, which I just happen to, barely; you're right, it is stupid.
Both parties, brother and sister, were active during the second half of the lake scene, since they both renewed their love together. It being a hallucination would mean one of the two was a fake. There's also the issue of where the 'hallucination' would have happened. Harem boy never got a chance to see the stairs where he would have been lying on while chasing after his sister. Sissy on the other hand never noticed the bruise her brother was carrying on his knee. Yet both the elements are present during Lake Scene: Part 2.
To put it simply, neither of the two had enough elements for such an accurate hallucination to occur in the first place.
A conveniently recreated reality that just happens to have a trail of water leading to them? Next thing you'll tell me the whole Sora arc was just class prez having a bad dream. I used the lake scene as the cause to determine the effect that they are alive; you changed the effect to 'they're dead', but in order to do so had to alter the cause to 'Lake Scene: Part 2 isn't real' with nothing proving that it is fake.
Simply put, Lake Scene: Part 2 happened and proves them to be alive.

With that out of the way, I could just stop here, since as you said 'the lake scene was enough to prove them alive'. But for completion, I'll address your other points too.
Purple magic Sora works more against you than in your favour. That same magic could be what was saving them instead, fulfilling the title 'Lake of Rebirth'. What was reborn wasn't the two of them physically, rather their bond as lovers. Would also mean that sister really didn't know what had saved them, which is why she was hesitant in answering. I still back my claim though that she didn't answer simply because there was no need to.
I've already expressed why the text is real and what was up with Mrs Violinist's attitude. As you stated in one of your posts, Shrine girl would have been the first to find the bodies, but found nothing, considering she believed the text; Kazuha wasn't even present during the 'Lake allows you to be reborn' speech Akira gave, meaning that out of all the friends, she's the only one who wouldn't have even been able to guess Sora's location, like the brother did. She found no bodies, in other words. Not that there were any bodies to be found in the first place.
Are there also tunnels and road beds when going to heaven? Because I recall the train traveling through a tunnel and on a road bed. The final scene mirrors the first one of the anime almost perfectly; it's called a 'bookend': the difference is that they travelled to the village as brother and sister, but left it as lovers. The fact that only clouds can be seen is due to camera angling, nothing more; also, because anime. Do you have any idea how many characters in anime happen to have only clouds in the background, yet aren't dead? One would think they're floating in the air. It's quite fitting they did it this way in this particular case: the anime is called 'Sky of Connection' after all. The only distant sky they are going to is that of the country the artisan who had connections with their parents lives in. And the name of the episode is simply a play on their names "Haruka na Sora"; is that also the name of what people refer to as the sequel fan disk of the VN? Could be that the name of the last episode is a hint to what happens after the anime: the fan disk, or a season 2 which never occurred; but that is just speculation.
I've only heard bits and pieces, but is it true that the name of the last episode is the same as the last chapter of the manga, where they live (so I heard); and that there is also a text which Mrs Violinist receives at the end? If so, that doesn't help the death theory at all. You forgot to address the suitcase.
In this particular kind of anime, where each route is given a precise conclusion, there's no such thing as an ambiguous ending. It can only be one: they are either dead, or alive.
But you already knew all this, didn't you? You never did change your mind, you simply tried to satisfy a friend's request, playing devil's advocate even if you didn't believe in what you were typing. Each of your sentences wasn't a statement, rather a 'what if' scenario. I appreciate that you tried to sustain a thesis which wasn't yours to begin with; unfortunately, you only ended up strengthening my conviction that they survived. While I am a bit late, as promised, I will be voting now.

I shall...Actually, I'm done.

Modified by Saturos-001, 7 hours ago

1 hour ago
Saturos-001 said:
Lekkain said:

Pardon my tardiness in replying, I was busy. Your joke assumes that I know something of Star Wars Expanded Universe, which I just happen to, barely; you're right, it is stupid.
Both parties, brother and sister, were active during the second half of the lake scene, since they both renewed their love together. It being a hallucination would mean one of the two was a fake. There's also the issue of where the 'hallucination' would have happened. Harem boy never got a chance to see the stairs where he would have been lying on while chasing after his sister. Sissy on the other hand never noticed the bruise her brother was carrying on his knee. Yet both the elements are present during Lake Scene: Part 2.
To put it simply, neither of the two had enough elements for such an accurate hallucination to occur in the first place.
A conveniently recreated reality that just happens to have a trail of water leading to them? Next thing you'll tell me the whole Sora arc was just class prez having a bad dream. I used the lake scene as the cause to determine the effect that they are alive; you changed the effect to 'they're dead', but in order to do so had to alter the cause to 'Lake Scene: Part 2 isn't real' with nothing proving that it is fake.
Simply put, Lake Scene: Part 2 happened and proves them to be alive.

With that out of the way, I could just stop here, since as you said 'the lake scene was enough to prove them alive'. But for completion, I'll address your other points too.
Purple magic Sora works more against you than in your favour. That same magic could be what was saving them instead, fulfilling the title 'Lake of Rebirth'. What was reborn wasn't the two of them physically, rather their bond as lovers. Would also mean that sister really didn't know what had saved them, which is why she was hesitant in answering. I still back my claim though that she didn't answer simply because there was no need to.
I've already expressed why the text is real and what was up with Mrs Violinist's attitude. As you stated in one of your posts, Shrine girl would have been the first to find the bodies, but found nothing, considering she believed the text; Kazuha wasn't even present during the 'Lake allows you to be reborn' speech Akira gave, meaning that out of all the friends, she's the only one who wouldn't have even been able to guess Sora's location, like the brother did. She found no bodies, in other words. Not that there were any bodies to be found in the first place.
Are there also tunnels and road beds when going to heaven? Because I recall the train traveling through a tunnel and on a road bed. The final scene mirrors the first one of the anime almost perfectly; it's called a 'bookend': the difference is that they travelled to the village as brother and sister, but left it as lovers. The fact that only clouds can be seen is due to camera angling, nothing more; also, because anime. Do you have any idea how many characters in anime happen to have only clouds in the background, yet aren't dead? One would think they're floating in the air. It's quite fitting they did it this way in this particular case: the anime is called 'Sky of Connection' after all. The only distant sky they are going to is that of the country the artisan who had connections with their parents lives in. And the name of the episode is simply a play on their names "Haruka na Sora"; is that also the name of what people refer to as the sequel fan disk of the VN? Could be that the name of the last episode is a hint to what happens after the anime: the fan disk, or a season 2 which never occurred; but that is just speculation.
I've only heard bits and pieces, but is it true that the name of the last episode is the same as the last chapter of the manga, where they live (so I heard); and that there is also a text which Mrs Violinist receives at the end? If so, that doesn't help the death theory at all. You forgot to address the suitcase.
In this particular kind of anime, where each route is given a precise conclusion, there's no such thing as an ambiguous ending. It can only be one: they are either dead, or alive.
But you already knew all this, didn't you? You never did change your mind, you simply tried to satisfy a friend's request, playing devil's advocate even if you didn't believe in what you were typing. Each of your sentences wasn't a statement, rather a 'what if' scenario. I appreciate that you tried to sustain a thesis which wasn't yours to begin with; unfortunately, you only ended up strengthening my conviction that they survived. While I am a bit late, as promised, I will be voting now.

I shall...Actually, I'm done.

You know...I feel like I want a picture of you, just so I can make a 'I'm out of time' meme.
But, um, oops! Seems I got the opposite effect of what I had intended. Sorry! But yeah, we did get to almost identical conclusions; and yes, you got me, I had already imagined what your answers would have been, since I got to pretty similar ones in determining they are alive; what I never expected was for you to figure me out so soon... and I never addressed the suitcase because...what the hell was I supposed to say? They are carrying 'Heaven Tunics: Incest Edition'?! Sorry Belzie, I flopped on this one.
Massive spoiler alert.
Just to clear it up, they also survive in both VN and manga. In the manga there's also the text received by Kazuha mentioning the artisan who had connections to their parents. Only difference is that in the manga they go on a trip, in the anime they leave for good.
End of the spoilers.
Now, something's been bugging me about you, so let me get this off my chest, and do answer me honestly: you never did intend to change your mind, did you? Despite wanting them dead, you knew all along the outcome would be that they were alive from the very beginning. I bet you were only looking for someone to debate with, whose points you could debunk like you did with mine. Of course, I could be just sprouting nonsense, so feel free to correct/insult me if so.
Modified by Lekkain, 36 minutes ago

Pages (2) « 1 [2]