Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Dec 24, 2010 10:12 PM
Nov 2008
SnG said:
And is that a problem?

It is your own mistake that you are, while looking at clubs, only searching for Member Card threads, or topics in the club itself.
You may not know that Member Cards are just one part of the clubs. In Anime clubs there are many more threads about the animes the club is about itself, than Member Cards thread.

I don't see why are you against member cards at all. People love them, you don't. Just ignore them.

You forget the point of this thread.
Dec 24, 2010 11:03 PM

Mar 2008
I don't think I've ever seen a site trying to take down personal messages before, but if it's for the sake of increasing speed I don't mind. As for the clubs, I really only look at MAL Updater's club for updates and such. Not that big of a deal.

Probably my biggest concern with all of this is the fact tasks take a long time to be accomplished here. Say you take down the PM's and clubs how can we be sure they will be brought back without a long wait?
Dec 24, 2010 11:36 PM
Dec 2007
zefiriss said:
sign out from crave, find bigger host XD

well, i guess, you should try to disable it if necessary only for holiday if there is no other option.
I've seen comments like this littered through this topic. He CAN NOT drop Crave. MAL is owned by Crave regardless of the fact Xinil is still on charge of the site. So unless you are suggesting for Xinil to pay Crave back to look for better options, or for Crave to sell MAL to someone else, Crave is here to stay (for now).

The suggestion of an improvement in the webcode and servers is indeed the best route although it's likely too expensive in contrast with what they'll get back from the website. Still, as a lot of people have eloquently said you don't massacre your website when it grows big, you improve it. If Crave isn't willing to put the coin into true improvements (instead going for the cheap shortcuts) then the selling of MAL to them was, as many people feared, a wrong move.

Dec 24, 2010 11:50 PM
Apr 2010
I'm fine with disabling both. I don't really PM or attend clubs very much.
Dec 25, 2010 12:45 AM

Apr 2007
Disabling clubs and PM's to increase speed? That has got to be the most retarded idea ever.

PM's can go if they absolutely must, but do you have any idea how much time a lot of people have invested in clubs? Clubs are one of the three major importances of MAL, the other two being anime list and forums.
Dec 25, 2010 6:57 AM

Feb 2008
Onibokusu said:
SnG said:
And is that a problem?

It is your own mistake that you are, while looking at clubs, only searching for Member Card threads, or topics in the club itself.
You may not know that Member Cards are just one part of the clubs. In Anime clubs there are many more threads about the animes the club is about itself, than Member Cards thread.

I don't see why are you against member cards at all. People love them, you don't. Just ignore them.

You forget the point of this thread.

Lol. I just adore your arguments.
Dec 25, 2010 8:02 AM

Jan 2010
well , maybe , kinda , agree .

Well private messages arent that useful
but clubs dunno ,
but i can accept it =D
Dec 25, 2010 9:28 AM
Dec 2010
Disabling private messages is ok for me, and i suppose disabling clubs is ok too. But as long as it can fix lag, anything is fine XD
Dec 25, 2010 9:57 AM

Mar 2008
Don't mind either way. I'm not all too concerned about the clubs, and I could make it without the PM's.

EDIT: I could make it without both, actually.

Dec 25, 2010 10:01 AM

Aug 2007
Leon-Gun said:
zefiriss said:
sign out from crave, find bigger host XD

well, i guess, you should try to disable it if necessary only for holiday if there is no other option.
I've seen comments like this littered through this topic. He CAN NOT drop Crave. MAL is owned by Crave regardless of the fact Xinil is still on charge of the site. So unless you are suggesting for Xinil to pay Crave back to look for better options, or for Crave to sell MAL to someone else, Crave is here to stay (for now).

The suggestion of an improvement in the webcode and servers is indeed the best route although it's likely too expensive in contrast with what they'll get back from the website. Still, as a lot of people have eloquently said you don't massacre your website when it grows big, you improve it. If Crave isn't willing to put the coin into true improvements (instead going for the cheap shortcuts) then the selling of MAL to them was, as many people feared, a wrong move.

The only good thing about them is they never requested the removal of the fansub groups from the site. Or changing the rules about torrents and download links. If somebody else got MAL I bet they would have removed those.

Anyway how would removing PM's cut down lag? They're not used as much as they use to be. Clubs might be the only thing that would help if cut but I think it would be stupid to do so.
Dec 25, 2010 11:02 AM
Dec 2008
Yes go for it...
Dec 25, 2010 4:41 PM
Nov 2008
SnG said:

Says the user who acts live I've been here two days.

These are the only type of club messages on profiles and PMs. On the first page of my inbox alone I have 10 messages about member cards from various clubs.

Stop deluding yourself, seriously.
Dec 25, 2010 4:45 PM

Aug 2010
If it would for sure get rid of the lag, then I would be perfectly fine with that. It would be really nice if the anime lists were in perfect working condition as I believe that to be the main purpose of this website. I'm sure that clubs will be missed, but if it means a bug free MAL then I think it'll be fine.
よ!僕はジェフです。エンジニアです。日本語が下手です。もっと勉強しなきゃいけない!
Dec 25, 2010 8:07 PM

May 2010
I say keep the clubs but get rid of the emailing.
Dec 25, 2010 9:22 PM

Sep 2009
You realize you cannot please every single member. Just do whatever you think is best, fast.
Dec 25, 2010 9:22 PM

Jun 2008
I say keep both. There are some people who disable profile commenting and there would no other way to contact them. And I visit a few clubs multiple times a day. Keeping the clubs is a must.
Dec 26, 2010 12:01 AM
Apr 2007
What about purging all the old comments(anywhere from 6 months onwards) of all the clubs and old forum threads, will it helps?
Dec 26, 2010 5:04 AM

Aug 2007
If it gets MAL running like it used to then I say down with messages and Clubs!
Dec 26, 2010 7:01 AM

Feb 2008
Onibokusu said:
SnG said:

These are the only type of club messages on profiles and PMs. On the first page of my inbox alone I have 10 messages about member cards from various clubs.

So, because not all clubs are about mature topics & some of them send out these Club comments.. they all should be get rid off?

Lol.
Dec 26, 2010 7:45 AM

Jul 2008
lehcar_ said:
You realize you cannot please every single member. Just do whatever you think is best, fast.

Nothing more, nothing less
Dec 26, 2010 9:58 AM
Aug 2008
Personally, I would advise removing the PM feature temporarily, if not permanently.

Clubs have too many good things going for them, they've brought people together etc etc, where from what I've seen, PMs are useful for little other than spam. Some, like myself, only really visit MAL for the list and the clubs. I'd advise against screwing your community over for some people who only use this site for the list and complain about it being slow. People can always communicate in ways other than PMs, too, and I'm very sure they do.

フェイトーちゃんは俺の魂です。
フェイトーちゃんは俺の全てです。
Dec 26, 2010 10:11 AM

Nov 2010
I would just suggest to wipe every topic and every club for now :D
The active clubs would still re-create if they would want
Dec 26, 2010 10:40 AM

Sep 2009
T
Kvakond said:
Private messages can go but clubs are a must. Except for those only existing to make membercards..

This.
Dec 26, 2010 12:14 PM

Dec 2009
I want to see my updated stats! Let's do it! :D
Dec 26, 2010 4:08 PM

Dec 2007
club is the only reason i still login into mal ~
Dec 26, 2010 5:22 PM
Nov 2008
SnG said:
Onibokusu said:
SnG said:

So, because not all clubs are about mature topics & some of them send out these Club comments.. they all should be get rid off?

Lol.

Now, your your arguments are absolutely adorable.

And yes, Xinil should get rid of clubs. Go use Facebook or something.
Dec 26, 2010 6:34 PM

Apr 2008
Whatever gets rid of this lag cuz its really frustrating.....
Dec 26, 2010 10:12 PM

Aug 2009
Just do whatever you feel is best. Those who really love the site will keep using it regardless of whether there are clubs or personal messaging. It's as simple as that.
Dec 27, 2010 1:57 AM
Feb 2010
remove the private message but leave the clubs....
Dec 27, 2010 3:59 AM

Sep 2007
I don't even use the two anymore. So I don't mind. ^^;

Dec 27, 2010 4:51 AM

Apr 2007
Some clubs, such as the "season" group directly relate to the overall function of the site, i believe, as it gives the ability to decide what to put into the list in the first place.

Hire a code auditor, like [url=http://www.zend.com/services/consulting/]this one[/ur], (or at least ask around "local" developers if that's too expensive) who will audit the site for performance.
Said this before, there is too much unnecessary data floating around between database, webservice, and user from what I've seen in occasional error message and overall structure of the list.
Dec 27, 2010 8:02 AM

Jun 2009
didn't read topic but as a suggestion:

disable PMs
enable mass club msgs but not as PM -> as pfrofile comment <- it hasn't lags at all.. is it possible? I think no.. but..
Dec 27, 2010 10:18 AM

Apr 2008
I like the clubs (though there are many inactive ones that could be deleted), but I don't care about PMs at all, and never use them.
Dec 27, 2010 10:43 AM
Jun 2010
im fine dude, i dontuse clubs or pm. I just update list :)
Dec 27, 2010 2:09 PM

Jan 2008
Sabinlerose said:
But only one MAL list.

Chidashi-sama said:
I'm fine with both disabled temporarily, but like most people here are saying- at some point, I'd like to re-access the clubs.

Those two are saying everything I would want to say.
Dec 27, 2010 5:52 PM

Sep 2009
I use the clubs here as a primary means of communication for my university's anime club. I was going to send a mass PM to the club members as preparation for our first meeting of the New Year starting soon, but I found that the messages were disabled! As I don't have everyone's phone number, it looks like we won't be able to meet again until the messages come back up and I can contact everyone again. :-/

We moved our club entirely to MAL since our email system at university was forcing our emails into spam folders and not everyone is tech savvy enough to retrieve them. Imagine my horror at finding the first time I try to send a message on this new system after working so hard to bring everyone over here, it doesn't work, and we have no scheduled meetings since we're on Winter Break!

I know you want to get rid of messages and clubs, but please consider redesigning the site in its entirety. There are issues not only with these sections of the site, but even with the lists itself. Many of us have not had our stats update for weeks, (And at 99.9 days, I was getting really excited to break 100!) and our lists lag and update slowly.
CalyricaDec 27, 2010 5:57 PM
Dec 27, 2010 9:42 PM

Aug 2010
I dont need clubs, and i dont need private messages :)
Dec 27, 2010 10:02 PM

Jun 2008
I don't need PMs never really do them any more. But clubs I am really trying to get back into the flow of going to them. Specially the Y!A club, it isn't as active as it used to be but I hope to change that. I think this entire website needs an overhaul. There is got to be a way of stopping this lag but keeping clubs, how do other sites keep from lagging with so much traffic?

I think there are clubs that are really not active, should be disabled as there really is no point. There are way to many inactive clubs.
Dec 28, 2010 12:34 AM

Jun 2010
I couldn't care less about clubs, but private messages are necessary.
Dec 28, 2010 1:32 AM

Mar 2008
Why not put the clubs on a different server?
Dec 28, 2010 3:33 AM

Nov 2008
whatever you do but please remove this lag! :)
Dec 28, 2010 6:24 AM
Dec 2010
If it means having working stats I can do without either.
Dec 28, 2010 8:19 AM

Dec 2010
I think stats are more important than pms and clubs.
Dec 28, 2010 9:39 AM
Apr 2007
YES!

Pleeeaaase remove the clubs and PMs!!
Dec 28, 2010 11:05 AM

Feb 2010
I'm fine with them being temporarily disabled. but not for more than a couple months. I'd hate to have them "temporarily" disabled forever.
Dec 28, 2010 11:33 AM

Feb 2010
Suggestion: Remove the anime discussion system, the pms and the system that count how many days/episodes you have watched anime.

There are many useless (or not commom to be used) functions, suspend some of them for a little time will affect us in nothing...
Stop the sequels high-ranking stupidity.
Group franchises in Top Anime page.
Because Gintama is just "one" anime and not 5.
Dec 28, 2010 11:45 AM

Nov 2007
Late on this....

I am fine with them being taken offline for a while. If it helps to resolve the lag then it's better in the long run.
Dec 28, 2010 11:45 AM

Aug 2007
I'm fine with the messages being disabled. I only care about the forums and my comments, so.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Dec 28, 2010 12:33 PM
Oct 2010
I don't care if the private messages or clubs are disable temporarily. I wouldn't even care if you removed them altogether.
Dec 28, 2010 6:26 PM
Sep 2009
I don't mind having private messages and clubs disabled for a period of time.

After all the main purpose of MAL is to keep track of what you watch and read (if I'm not mistaken).

As an alternative (if this issue cannot be solved) I suggest you won't keep the same area disabled ALL the time.
It should be possible to switch between either areas on MAL so everything still runs around (with a smaller timelag than before?)
AnimeThrone88Dec 28, 2010 6:38 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3334 by Fujimatsu »»
44 minutes ago

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

210 by Kye_xz »»
Yesterday, 4:02 AM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Feb 23

194 by Seruki123 »»
Apr 14, 9:54 AM

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 17

144 by The_real_maomao »»
Apr 9, 4:26 PM

» English Titles Added to Desktop; Moving Towards a Romanized/English Toggle ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Feb 12, 2020

121 by Vaturna »»
Apr 4, 5:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.