Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 20, 2010 3:24 AM

Jul 2009
The scene with Nagato in the library, I'm not sure if there's any meaning to it...
Anyone have an idea?
Dec 20, 2010 4:50 AM

Apr 2008
I think the boy is helping the girl get a library card. This reminds Yuki of how Kyon helped her get her library card. Notice how she holds up her book? I guess this is up to interpretation, but I think she's smiling and trying to hide it. Or maybe she just remembered the emotion of smiling from the time she was a normal girl. Something like that. We'll never know for sure...

Dec 20, 2010 9:05 AM

Jul 2008
NecoDelero said:
I think the boy is helping the girl get a library card. This reminds Yuki of how Kyon helped her get her library card. Notice how she holds up her book? I guess this is up to interpretation, but I think she's smiling and trying to hide it. Or maybe she just remembered the emotion of smiling from the time she was a normal girl. Something like that. We'll never know for sure...

I interpreted it the same way. The book was hiding a smile, and she was smiling because the two kids brought up a good memory of her and Kyon.
Dec 20, 2010 10:42 AM

Jul 2009
Ah yes, makes sense makes sense.
Dec 20, 2010 11:36 AM

Nov 2008
GarLogan78 said:
NecoDelero said:

I interpreted it the same way. The book was hiding a smile, and she was smiling because the two kids brought up a good memory of her and Kyon.

Yeah, same interpratation here ^^
Dec 20, 2010 12:34 PM

Nov 2008
NecoDelero said:

That was the exact same thought I had, too. I'm glad to see that more people interpreted it as such. Ah. I loved everything about the movie. ^_^
desolatoJan 23, 2011 2:28 PM
Hi! My name is yama. I am niced to meet you.
Dec 20, 2010 1:24 PM

Oct 2009
Aren't those two kids loli Mikuru and loli Tsuruya in the past ?
Dec 20, 2010 11:25 PM

Apr 2010
SurferDude said:

That's what I thought too; lol Tsuruya has short hair teasing the fact that she really long hair when she's older ^^

As with the interpretation so far, I agree with that, just that the 'boy' is actually Tsuruya and the 'girl' is Mikuru... But then that means that Nagato is in the past!!! o_O

As much as I like complex stories with a lot of twists this movie has really... got me confused *sigh*

Dec 21, 2010 5:29 AM

Jan 2009
GarLogan78 said:
NecoDelero said:

brilliant!!! thanks for the explanation lol
Dec 21, 2010 12:49 PM

Mar 2008
I don't think she's smiling. Remember that the movie revolved around Yuki's emotions, or the fact she had any at all. There is no reason for her to look up at those kids, but of course she is reminded of the library card Kyon helped her get. She tries to shift her focus back to her book, but she can't help but look back up. This is all triggered by her emotions, a concept Yuki can't seem to understand and a part of herself she cannot control. Her solution, therefore, is very practical: she doesn't try to look back down, but simply holds her book in front of her, so she can still read it while looking that way.

Not only is it cute in a clumsy way, it also confirms what she said before: there's no guarantee that what happened won't happen again, because she still has the same emotions. The "errors" will continue to accumulate and we can only guess what it will cause to happen in the future.

Though this is how I interpreted it, the resemblance to Tsuruya and Mikuru is rather striking indeed. Yuki's not wearing glasses though so we can assume it's a coincidence.
Dec 21, 2010 2:30 PM

Jan 2009
I don't particularly find the resemblance all that striking, really. Assuming it's within the whole time-space continuum, they're probably just two random kids. I believe the significance of the scene just to be the development of Yuki's emotions in order to prevent such an incident from occurring again. Even if she wasn't programmed that way initially, Kyon's message to her boss probably made it through somehow.
Dec 22, 2010 3:04 PM

Aug 2009
My legit explanation as a Haruhi fan.

This is the scene before, where Kyon helps Nagato get a library card. Since the book covers her face we can assume she is smiling. Since she has emotions, this means that this was the very first time they met because in the altered world Nagato already met Kyon once before. This is the future Kyon that met Nagato, the future Kyon travels back in time twice, once so that Nagato can remember Kyon, and another to inject the needle. This needle I believe is what made her lose her emotions because this is Nagato in the past, the Nagato who got injected was the Nagato who was given the club form back.

I can prove my theory even more, I'll glady explain the whole movie if you want me to, there is just to many things to say.
Sig iz in deh makingz

Still learningz

:3
Dec 23, 2010 7:40 AM
Jun 2007
lol that Makes lot of since. Otaku_Hikikomor plz explain more x3i

Otaku_Hikikomori said:

This is the scene before, where Kyon helps Nagato get a library card. Since the book covers her face we can assume she is smiling. Since she has emotions, this means that this was the very first time they met because in the altered world Nagato already met Kyon once before. This is the future Kyon that met Nagato, the future Kyon travels back in time twice, once so that Nagato can remember Kyon, and another to inject the needle. This needle I believe is what made her lose her emotions because this is Nagato in the past, the Nagato who got injected was the Nagato who was given the club form back.

I can prove my theory even more, I'll glady explain the whole movie if you want me to, there is just to many things to say.
Dec 24, 2010 12:39 AM

Aug 2009
Otaku_Hikikomori said:

Explained why Asukara was made was because she needed to protect Nagato. She said so herself. The Nagato who stopped Asukara from stabbing Kyon was a future Nagato, meaning there were 2 Nagato's present at the time. Reason why? Nagato who stops the stabbing has no glasses. There 2 Asahina's because future Kyon and Nagato needs to get back in time, and present time Kyon needs to get back, that's why Kyon said he can still choose to pick which world he wants: either by not stopping the stabbing or stopping it. He needs to go back twice, once libary card and to inject Nagato (read post before). Btw Asukara attacks Nagato and Kyon in season 1, this I think is that the data thought entity made Asukara remember the events from the movie. Since Nagato in season 1 is more collected than in the movie, Asukara no longer needs to protect her, rather, Nagato in season 1 is actually getting in her way, thus a fight happens.

If you need me to explain anything in detail in the post I'll tell you why. Some stuff there may seem iffy, just ask and I will explain.

If you want more info on MY THEORY just ask.
desolatoJan 23, 2011 2:29 PM
Sig iz in deh makingz

Still learningz

Dec 24, 2010 1:51 AM

Aug 2009
I did some more analysis turns out that this scene isn't related to Kyon getting Nagato the library card. Glasses Nagato gets future Kyon's library card. This scene is pretty interesting though.
Stereotypical said:
That's what I thought too; lol Tsuruya has short hair teasing the fact that she really long hair when she's older ^^

As with the interpretation so far, I agree with that, just that the 'boy' is actually Tsuruya and the 'girl' is Mikuru... But then that means that Nagato is in the past!!! o_O
As much as I like complex stories with a lot of twists this movie has really... got me confused *sigh*
This means that those kids are not Tsuruya and Mikuru, because without the glasses proves she's a Nagato who lost her emotionns, therefore they are in present time (Mikuru grown up, and Tsuruya too, Nagato doesn't grow) and Nagato not smiling is correct. Anyways, everything else I've said should be fine with the theory.
desolatoJan 23, 2011 2:31 PM
Sig iz in deh makingz

Still learningz

Dec 29, 2010 1:16 AM
Feb 2010
If I remember correctly, the novels already cleaned up this part of the story. The ending scene has no significance to the story at all, but does give a very nice insight into Nagato's character.

When I saw the ending scene, I thought it was very clever to do what they did. Nagato is an "emotionless" being, she never smiles or frowns or anything of that sort. However, it's very clear to everyone who watched the movie (even those who have never seen and Haruhi-related material before) that the scene of a random boy getting a random girl her library card is supposed to relate to Nagato and Kyon. Nagato obviously takes notice of this, and reminisces of that time, which shows an incredibly tiny hint of her emotions. (Her slowly developing emotions are also brought out with her last line of the movie, "Thank you.") Honestly, if she simply looked down without looking back up to that scene I would've felt pretty depressed about how emotionless she is...

Now, as for what she did after she looked back up and brought the book up to her face, she didn't smile, I can tell you that. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't read the novels. And any explanation for why she did it doesn't matter to be honest, the fact is the book was brought up over her mouth to make whoever was watching imagine or believe she could smile. (When she looked back up and started staring at the screen, I was thinking "What are they going to do now? She can't smile....", and that's when the book was brought up to cover her mouth. I thought it was clever, considering it quickly answered my question.)

However, I will concede one thing that the ending scene basically confirms: Before the entire Haruhi series is finished, Nagato will smile. It's just a matter of when, and I honestly can't wait. She's possibly my favorite character.
Jan 23, 2011 2:00 AM
Jul 2009
I had a different take on the scene. I thought it was a flash back to the defining moment that set her off.
Mar 15, 2011 6:52 AM

Nov 2010
Otaku_Hikikomori said:
the future Kyon travels back in time twice, once so that Nagato can remember Kyon, and another to inject the needle.

When shy Nagato explained her version of what happened when she went to get her library card, stating that Kyon acted differently than what Kyon remembers to have acted, I thought it was because whoever changed the world also modified shy Nagato's memories to a version where Kyon's actions did not have Haruhi as a justification (and thus falsificating her memories). The regular Nagato explained that the range of modification of past events was 365 days. Shy Nagato went to the library in May, which is within the 1-year limit. Thus it is very possible that Kyon didn't have to go back just to make her remember him. She just has a memory of something that didn't really happen.
Mar 28, 2011 12:54 AM

Oct 2009
Didn't read the thread so pardon me if I restated something already stated:

Since Nagato has the memory of the future her and paste her synced (some of it), the two kids (which I think is Tsuyura and Mikuru, loli version) reminding her of the time Kyon got her the library card made her reminisce and smile.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2011 11:22 AM

Apr 2011
PBz0r said:
I don't think she's smiling. Remember that the movie revolved around Yuki's emotions, or the fact she had any at all. There is no reason for her to look up at those kids, but of course she is reminded of the library card Kyon helped her get. She tries to shift her focus back to her book, but she can't help but look back up. This is all triggered by her emotions, a concept Yuki can't seem to understand and a part of herself she cannot control. Her solution, therefore, is very practical: she doesn't try to look back down, but simply holds her book in front of her, so she can still read it while looking that way.

Not only is it cute in a clumsy way, it also confirms what she said before: there's no guarantee that what happened won't happen again, because she still has the same emotions. The "errors" will continue to accumulate and we can only guess what it will cause to happen in the future.

Though this is how I interpreted it, the resemblance to Tsuruya and Mikuru is rather striking indeed. Yuki's not wearing glasses though so we can assume it's a coincidence.

How you said it is how I interpreted it to begin with as well. - I did not see her as smiling (although it would be great!) but when she saw the supposed boy helping the Mikuru look alike get a library card...she reminisced at pulled the book up so her eyes could witness it - something that we never get to see since she is always hunched over reading.

As for the emotions...that is true!
May 21, 2011 10:10 AM

May 2010
DoubleDango said:
Didn't read the thread so pardon me if I restated something already stated:

Since Nagato has the memory of the future her and paste her synced (some of it), the two kids (which I think is Tsuyura and Mikuru, loli version) reminding her of the time Kyon got her the library card made her reminisce and smile.

mikuru is from the future, enough to proof that they are not the loli version of them

and nagato dont look up to look again at those two coz they already walked out of the library lol....
Sep 1, 2011 10:30 AM

May 2010
DuroDeMatar said:
GarLogan78 said:
NecoDelero said:

Yeah, same interpratation here ^^

I also thought the same way..

Btw wasn't that T.O.T.A.L.L.Y. M.O.E.~_~
Sep 23, 2011 4:41 PM

Aug 2011
Stereotypical said:
SurferDude said:

Nagato is in the present, but the Mikuru and Tsuruya that are her age in the series and movie (so 16 ish) are actually from the future. The ones from the present are the child versions of Mikuru and Tsuruya. Or atleast that was my interpretation.
Sep 25, 2011 3:38 PM

Jul 2011
At the hospital roof, Yuki explained that it wasn't guaranteed for her to form abnormalities in her system, which was also noted as emotions. The little scene with her smiling in the end just signifies that over time she will eventually acquire normal human traits.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Jan 29, 2018 2:09 PM
Jul 2016
i'm sorry for digging up this prehistoric topic, but as i just finished the movie i wondered about that part... and as i liked your interpretation i think noone noticed that boys jacket with "Return" on it, which might change the expression she wanted to hide...
Jan 31, 2018 8:40 PM

Sep 2015
eru-nyan said:
i'm sorry for digging up this prehistoric topic, but as i just finished the movie i wondered about that part... and as i liked your interpretation i think noone noticed that boys jacket with "Return" on it, which might change the expression she wanted to hide...

Wow seriously? I wonder if they were ever planning for Haruhi to return at the time, if that is true.
Dec 25, 2018 3:32 PM
Aug 2018
I thought of it as her using the book to mask her looking at them, as she is reminiscing on the experience she had with kyon but she doesn’t want to get caught by the kids or others around her staring at them so she’s using the book as cover! This shows the development in her as she’s aware of other people around her and what they might say if she’s caught and also her connection to kyon as both this moment and her past with him are similar!

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Movie Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Feb 5, 2010

1000 by MorphoX »»
Mar 8, 6:34 AM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.