Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 86 Discussion

Jun 3, 2008 10:33 AM
Vermillion

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The declaration of their newly independent state was a good way to round out the season. Frederica, and especially Julian have some large shoes to fill. It looks like Reinhard will be beset with political problems so they'll proabably be safe for a while.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Sep 29, 2008 1:17 AM

Great end to the season, really uplifting after episodes like 82, 83, etc...

Cool to see Katerose open up a little more to Julian too. I think she'll be playing a bigger role later on.

Nov 13, 2008 4:25 PM

This episode was really moving to when watching how Julian and Frederica manage to cope Yang's death and to defend the idea of democracy with their own methods.
De Villiers' presence at Trunicht's mansion shows that Trunichts is up to another trick...

Dec 23, 2009 1:05 PM

Attenborough and Poplan interactions always make me lol

Trunihit must die.

Jan 23, 2010 6:41 AM

Cowabunga said:
Attenborough and Poplan interactions always make me lol

Trunihit must die.

Agreed on both counts
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Jan 24, 2010 4:57 PM

I'm going to look forward to things like how Konev and friends are with the shennanigans the Earth Cult will be trying to pull next season. Reuenthal planning to execute Trunihit is good in my book... all he needs is anything he can pull on that slimy bastard and he'll have saved the universe from the purest evil out there.

Frederica uniting the people of Iserlohn certainly felt uplifting and brought me back to the first season (sans aftertaste). I'm also glad to see Katerose finally opening up to Julian, though it looks to be a very rough start. Attenborough and Poplan's antics still bring a smile to my face.

May 12, 2010 3:05 AM

The Engrish singing at the end was great. Yang would have been so proud of Frederica. Probably the only politician he could truly like. With no political ambition, she pretty much embodied what Yang could only have hoped to see from a political rally.

The conversation with Julian and Yang's ghost or whatever hit me hard and definitely brought empathetic feelings of realization that who is gone is gone.

I think Katerose is beginning to trust Julian and see he is not like the irresponsible men, allowing her to not reject her attraction towards him as she did when she first met him and developed immediate feelings for him.

I am getting the sense that by Yang Wenli's death, a society, as small as it is, which upholds ideals he believed in but never saw in action, resulting in a cynical jadedness, and moreover being led by the family and friends left behind, is akin to the idea of how unless a grain of wheat dies, a harvest cannot come.

Yang would have been happy.

Jun 7, 2010 5:40 AM

OH MY GOD POPLAN IS THE GREATEST SINGER EVER.

Jun 22, 2010 8:42 AM

Very great season ending and a very emotional episode. Especially Yangs Ghost and the declaration of the new government were great scenes.
I wanted to take a little break before the last season, so this great show doesn't end too soon, but it seems I'll have to go straight to the next episode. I just wanna know how it continues xD

StephenCovey said:
Most of us don't listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.

Oct 12, 2010 7:56 PM

I'm starting to like this guy lol

I'm still mourning the death of Yang Wenli... :'(
Modified by supersayen, Oct 12, 2010 8:00 PM

Oct 17, 2010 7:02 AM

Well, good end to the season. I think I can finally take a break before tackling the last season. I honestly felt the third season was too long, despite how awesome it was. Now I'm going to make some 4th season predictions just so in 24 episodes I can go back and laugh at how wrong I was. I'm betting the 4th season is going to be thematically based on "the young replace the old." Ultimately we are going to see how democracy perseveres even when the leader dies and how autocracy becomes corrupt. Besides this political message though, I'm guessing that Julian and Katerose become much closer, that the earth cult does amazing damage to the empire, that Dominic bears Rubinsky's child, though Rubinsky gets Karma-bite, Oberstien ends up being a hero somehow and dying too, and one of the twin stars perishes.
“I can't stand pretty opinions!”

Nov 18, 2010 1:29 PM

this episode just consolidates my oppinion that the 3rd season was kickass :D

i almost felt like giving away a tear when I saw Yang again ;(

5/5 for the episode and,for the 3rd season,10/10 without a doubt,it was so much better than the 1st and 2nd season...

i wonder how the 4th season will work out...although no matter what happens,with Yang dead,i don't think i'll appreciate the ending as much
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Jan 2, 2011 4:22 PM

First of all, I giggled at that giant Yang picture.

Does Poplan know the wrath of Kaiser Reinhard!??? With idiots like him in the Free Alliance, no wonder they lost, serves them right too.

I really wish this show would stop praising Julian, because Julian is NOTHING compared to the likes of Reinhard-sama!

Terrible song, my eardrums damaged because of their atrocious lyrics
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Apr 21, 2011 5:54 PM
lol anyone kbow the name of the song they are singing , haha. Good episode, though still feel bad that yang is dead....

Apr 21, 2011 6:28 PM

And1ce said:
lol anyone kbow the name of the song they are singing , haha. Good episode, though still feel bad that yang is dead....

It's the FPA Anthem. Think it's called Free Flag, Free People.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs8BSSpU5fU

Sep 2, 2011 10:56 PM
Yang would really hate that picture...haha. I'm feeling really bad for Julian though. Imagine being that young and trying to pull the pieces together. Going into the last season now...

Dec 20, 2011 12:27 PM
Good way to end the 3rd season. I like the FPA anthem, even though the engrish is hilarious at the same time.

It may be glaringly obvious to everyone, but I was reminded of Frederica giving Yang a drink when he was back on El Facil when Katerose approached Julian and more or less did the same thing. The connection probably doesn't have any meaning, (that I can think of at least) I just noticed it is all.

Jan 29, 2012 9:38 AM

found it rather ironic that Admiral Merkatz was singing the hymn of the FPA although he only defected to the FPA because he wanted to stay loyal to the Goldenbaum Dynasty, which was even more autoratic and oppressive than the new Lohengramm Dynasty. Can I interpret this as a complete change of ideals?

Feb 11, 2012 10:42 PM

Poplan is a beautiful singer.

Feb 22, 2012 4:13 PM

Amazing season.

Apr 3, 2012 10:52 AM

There's no true freedom even in democracy.
"If Eren boned Historia then we'll be getting flashbacks right back to Ymir, from both of them."
- imadethisforonething (Reddit)

May 17, 2012 8:44 PM

Good advice from Poplan, as always: when it comes to women, the only number less than 1 is 0.

Zhao_Yun said:
found it rather ironic that Admiral Merkatz was singing the hymn of the FPA although he only defected to the FPA because he wanted to stay loyal to the Goldenbaum Dynasty, which was even more autoratic and oppressive than the new Lohengramm Dynasty. Can I interpret this as a complete change of ideals?

Merkatz has continued to be one of the most quietly interesting characters in the series. On one hand, I think of what Yang himself said: "humans don’t fight for principles or philosophy. They fight for the person who embodies their principles and philosophy." On the other hand, I think that he's developed legitimate friendships with these people that he's served and lived with for several years. He's a man in his late fifties that clearly doesn't have any measure of fervor, so we can't compare his approach to philosophy and ideology to that of someone like Yang.

Sep 14, 2012 6:49 PM

this season was even better than the previous one

Sep 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Ghost in the API

Nice ending. Lol'd at the engrish, but sang along... though they should've been yelling "sieg mein kaiser Reinhard!" instead.
R.I.P Yang. Julian has a very long way to go to achieve Yang's level of awesome...

Oct 16, 2012 6:31 PM

I thought once Yang died I might not feel very compelled to start up the next season but I was wrong. I'm really looking forward to it.

Dec 30, 2012 2:50 PM

What a great season. Also, the singing of the FPA anthem at the end was the perfect way to set the stage for the final season. A stirring moment giving hope.

However, why is the FPA Anthem in English? For a show that is obsessed with German, with dialogue entirely in Japanese, an English anthem really took me by surprise.

Dec 31, 2012 2:10 PM
Bdiah said:
What a great season. Also, the singing of the FPA anthem at the end was the perfect way to set the stage for the final season. A stirring moment giving hope.

However, why is the FPA Anthem in English? For a show that is obsessed with German, with dialogue entirely in Japanese, an English anthem really took me by surprise.

Remeber, when Rudolf von Goldenbaum established the Galactic Empire, he practiced ethnic cleansing which explains why the empire is so ethnically "German". Other races were either killed off completely, subjugated into serfdom (thus not represented in the military / officialdom at all), assimilated into German (majority I guess), or migrated to the newly established FPA over hundred of years. For all of Reinhard's social reforms, it has been merely 2-3 years since he seized power so you won't see any result of ethnic diversity.

The concept of FPA is heavily influenced by the history of the USA, with some flavors of post-war Japanese bureacracy mixed in. To avoid prosecution, the founders of FPA built space ships out of icebergs and travlled to the uncharted space... Mayflower anyone? In addition, the FPA is composed of so many ethnicities that you can assume their official language is most likely adopted from the former Galactic Republic, i.e. English.

May 5, 2013 10:04 AM

Amazing season, now I'm gonna take a break from the show before I tackle the next season which I know won't be as good as the 2nd or 3rd.

Aug 6, 2013 9:14 PM

That's a GOOD portrait of Yang! Powerful moment to see everyone sing to democracy. Yang's spirit lives on!

Sep 29, 2013 3:38 PM

Hrmmm . . . The story kind of slowed down after Yang's death (for obvious reason of course, since Yang and Reinhard were pretty much the 2 main characters) . . . I just hope that Iserlohn will be able to do something. Since to be honest I don't really wanna watch Reinhard crumble mentally, or the empire crumble due to the Terraists.

Aug 9, 2014 1:27 PM

Oh god Trunihit.

The grinning picture of Yang made me laugh.

Nov 15, 2014 6:43 AM

Dam earth cult gonna stir up some trouble again.

Feb 2, 2015 11:55 PM

my god i'm so glad Attenborough and Poplan exist lol
Great season

Mar 14, 2015 7:00 AM

I liked their nice song at the end, but they sounded kind of high-pitched and screechy.

Apr 10, 2015 8:04 PM

"You know nothing, Julian Minci" -Katerose

Apr 12, 2015 10:06 AM

40 billion compared to 940 thousand.

Let's see what kinda ridiculous stuff are expecting us in the next season. Should be good.
Open to chat about any storytelling related subject as long as it's clever and respectful.
Myanimelist

Jun 4, 2015 2:21 AM

Good way to end the third season here, I wonder what will happen now lol. Probably Reuental becomes a rebel and fight with Reinhardo.

Jun 21, 2015 7:33 AM

Oh boy that ending! Really lovely I must say! Let's see what happens next.

Jul 22, 2015 3:11 AM

Didn't expect them suddenly start singing in English like that. Overall season 3 is definitely my favourite so far. Can't wait to watch this final season :')

Jul 22, 2015 2:24 PM

"Die Kaiser Reinhard!" Lol

Dec 1, 2015 1:52 AM

Liberty stands for freedom
Oh hail the flag that set us free
standing righteous, symbolic of
strength our hopes for freedom to be
My friends, not so far away
Rulers will reunite hand in hand
Oh hail! Liberty bell!
True freedom for all men

Fighting hard for the future
The promise of a better day
For tomorrow we drink from the cup
the wine we fought for today
My friends, let us sing a song
sing along ring a bell, liberty!
Oh hail! Liberty bell!
True freedom for all men

"F" that stands for our freedom
as well the flag that stands so strong
Spirits set free in our future land.
so let us share in this song
My friends, not so far away
Rulers will reunite hand in hand
Oh hail! Liberty bell!
True freedom for all men

"waaaaii~" (Akaza Akari)

Mar 28, 2016 11:49 PM

"Die Kaiser Reinhard!"

As a Reinhard fan, this kind of irked me a bit. Shouldn't these idiots be focusing on investigating further on the Terraists who killed their beloved leader instead? For the meantime at least?

Anyway, I understand that this might as well be necessary for them to say given that they just announced the establishment of their own republic. Still tho...

Apr 22, 2016 2:07 PM

In the last few minutes I started crying and ended up laughing. Another great episode.
I have no idea what might happen in the last season, but I also can't wait to find out!

Jun 22, 2016 4:17 PM

That engrish though xD

Good to see that Katerose is finally warming up to Julian.

Oct 30, 2016 7:36 AM

LiaNF said:
"Die Kaiser Reinhard!"

As a Reinhard fan, this kind of irked me a bit. Shouldn't these idiots be focusing on investigating further on the Terraists who killed their beloved leader instead? For the meantime at least?

Anyway, I understand that this might as well be necessary for them to say given that they just announced the establishment of their own republic. Still tho...

Whenever I heard that catchphrase I always think "Huh why should he die, YOU die!" especially when the one's shouting it is a nobody lol

Nov 4, 2016 10:40 PM

I love democracy, I love Yang. But the moment I heard they said "Die, Kaiser Reinhard", I hope they all just die instead..

Jun 28, 2017 2:16 PM
still mourning the death of yang wenli :'(

Dec 16, 2017 12:36 AM

Julian and the "redhead" seems more joined!! kekeke

Hello, my litte boy!

Feb 11, 2018 8:26 PM
It's just amazing how all seasons end so greatly with epic songs.

Feb 15, 2018 6:39 AM
Anime Moderator
LiaNF said:
"Die Kaiser Reinhard!"

Came here to say this. I'm glad this line also bothers other people. I can't take them seriously, the crowd shouting, "Die Kaiser Reinhard!" It's not because I like Reinhard, but because there's such a lack of respect for the enemy's leader, unlike where many of the Empire's admirals have shown respect towards Yang. Not saying that there weren't people in the Empire who wanted Yang's death, but I can't say that if Reinhard died the same way as Yang, he would be met with the same amount of respect (aside from Julian and perhaps Frederica).

I feel like maybe the reason I've been rooting for Reinhard this whole time is because ever since the beginning, there's been this constant nagging feeling that makes me think the Empire will ultimately lose...since autocracy can only work so well under specific conditions of a leader with good-will (who doesn't lose his sight) and good, talented subordinates. Given that there's still a whole season left, I'm really worried for the Empire.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »