Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector Episode 12 Discussion

Dec 17, 2010 3:00 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good action, and the plot revelations are plentiful, as well as all the side-dramas. See I told you this show had lots going on xD

Yet MORE people are introduced, and they expand upon the ones already there, but most importantly is the NEXT TIME CLIP!!!!!!

Dec 17, 2010 4:47 PM

Yeah, next week's episode looks good. About 3 different plot threads came crashing together this episode.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/

Dec 18, 2010 11:31 PM

I COMPLETELY forgot

A lot more chit chat.
Burkeism - Our president is more truculent than yours.

Dec 19, 2010 12:56 AM

kirant said:
which almost guarantees we're seeing Vysaga

Why do people keep saying that? I mean, I'm not saying it won't, but were people honestly expecting a Rathgirth?

Dec 19, 2010 9:53 AM

slax said:
kirant said:

Why do people keep saying that? I mean, I'm not saying it won't, but were people honestly expecting a Rathgirth?

Not the Rathgrith, but maybe Ashsaber, Vysaga or Angleg
and Since we saw all of Angleg's attacks (minus Mirage Sign) and Ashsaber's
Chances for Vysaga's appearance are pretty high now

also, the Angleg can do Acashik Buster ?! (they better put that one in OG3)

Dec 19, 2010 2:07 PM

Game_Master said:
slax said:
kirant said:

Not the Rathgrith, but maybe Ashsaber, Vysaga or Angleg

No, I mean Axel's unit, in OG2 he was in a Rathgirth, not an Ashsaber, in "this mission" (although "this mission" is about 7 different missions wrapped together)

Dec 19, 2010 2:12 PM

I COMPLETELY forgot

O.O

you FORGOT

Dec 19, 2010 2:39 PM

slax said:
kirant said:

I actually did. Most non-Huckebein units have been correctly shown...and Rathgirths are still pretty cool.

Dec 19, 2010 2:41 PM

Oh! YES. A very nice episode and quite enlightening.
Finally we get more information, although the show did pull a quick on us in trying to confuse us by presenting us with another set of new characters with strange suits.

Well after this events i think that the Inspectors very likely came to earth because of the actions of this group that traveled threw a different dimension.
I only assume as much because their name is "Inspectors". So they very likely inspected the anomaly of people entering a world they don't belong to and decided to fix it or something.

BTW, holy fuck what was that suit made from? She said that her suit blowing up could destroy two ships and yet while hugging him and blowing-up she still didn't manage to kill him.

Dec 19, 2010 11:57 PM

kirant said:
But damn it, I didn't wait 3 years to see the Octo squad get 5 minutes of screen time and Ibis 1 episode!

I feel your pain.
Octo-squad get shafted in every series.

Dec 20, 2010 2:16 AM

seif said:
kirant said:
But damn it, I didn't wait 3 years to see the Octo squad get 5 minutes of screen time and Ibis 1 episode!

Why do so-called fans not realise that the Octo Squad has no backstory, no relevance to the plot, and no substory? They aren't being written out of the series, they were never written in in the first place! They're Mooks, Grunts, Redshirts! If this were any other series they wouldn't even have names!

I mean, seriously, what did you want to happen? do what divine wars did and have Kyouske V Sengar duke it out off-screen so we get to see grunts shoot each other? (at least divine wars gave us operation Break Out)

Why are SRW fans so.... Use your imagination to think of a colourful adjective that would end this sentence.

Dec 20, 2010 2:58 AM

good ep lot of action.

Dec 20, 2010 8:14 AM

slax said:
seif said:
kirant said:

Why do so-called fans not realise that the Octo Squad has no backstory, no relevance to the plot, and no substory? They aren't being written out of the series, they were never written in in the first place! They're Mooks, Grunts, Redshirts! If this were any other series they wouldn't even have names!

Not entirely. Leona had a decent amount of storyline and certainly there is a large amount of untapped area (including Katina's original unit, GAB-L) for OG3 to use. Like was done for Kai, they can easily make something from nothing. Heck, I don't think they even had Russel's single moment of awesomeness in DW (something that fans I think would have enjoyed. Similar disappointment was felt here when they did the same thing for Ryusei's reaction to AngelG).

I guess what could be said is that at the end of the day, the objective of everything up to the finale is to make you care for these characters and to actually feel concerned when some of them get blown to pieces, as they'll likely to do show that they mean business. Didn't work in DW...I laughed for a good amount of the damage to the "good guys".

slax said:
I mean, seriously, what did you want to happen? do what divine wars did and have Kyouske V Sengar duke it out off-screen so we get to see grunts shoot each other? (at least divine wars gave us operation Break Out)

It actually works well in many other series. To a major degree, some of the real robot side of Gundams do this amazingly well. One of Gundam SEED's upsides was this.

slax said:
Why are SRW fans so.... Use your imagination to think of a colourful adjective that would end this sentence.

Because I'm an unabashed fan of the side characters...many of my favourites never get enough screen time to fully develop their personalities.

Dec 20, 2010 2:56 PM

I'mma gun vent some rage. Though Kirant was quoted, this is directed at no-one in particular.

I know this looks like an overraction, but it seems we can't go two weeks without someone complaining of something. Its just irritating. If you're gunna complain, either wait till the series is over, or complain about something legitimate. The reason no-one has raised legitimate complaints is because there aren't any. This show is darn good, but all some fans seems to be capable of doing is complaining, and when legitimate complaints can't be found they just go out in search of something to whinge about.

I mean, I don't care if people say star driver has too much filler, or the plot is too slow. I don't care if people say Iron man is too cliche, etc. I don't care because these are legitimate complaints. It seems the only issues people have with this series are:
1-They want to watch it all in one go, not wait a week
2-They don't want to watch Divine Wars, but expect not to be confused by jumping in halfway through a show
3-Obari didn't ring them specifically to ask their opinion about how to direct the show.

Stop being so selfish, I respect your right to complain, but come on, we don't need it in every. single. thread.

Dec 20, 2010 3:24 PM

The octo-squad have had more screen time than Elzam.

I'm pretty sure they've had more screen time than Gilliam.

They certainly have had more screen time than Sanger.

They have had a little bit more screen time than Lune.

Hell, the Octo-squad have had almost as much screen time as Axel. Let alone any of the Inspectors or the other Shadow Mirrors.

Ibis has had more importance than Aya or Mai, despite them being in the intro. And being part of the SRX team.

What more could you want?

Dec 20, 2010 9:17 PM

To all others - I apologize for the length of my post in advance. I know no fewer words to express my opinion.

slax said:
Alas, some people are just never pleased, I mean, heaven forbid, you're not going to actually wait and see if she does interact with Archibald, nosiree, you're gunna complain NOW. That's what I take issue with, we're not going to go one week without repeated whinging.

Hey, I never said I was going to try to repeatedly whine and not expect it to sound like I'm a baby (I know this is directed to a great number of people...but...). I explicitly laid out that my comments were going to be extremely nit picky and hold a good amount of extremism in them with the [whiny] "tags". I furthered that by immediately saying that "this wasn't their episode anyways". I fully expect my favs to get ignored quite a bit. I've accepted it and realize anything else is fairly unrealistic. I think if anything different would happen, you'd get complaints that they're overcentralizing on characters that don't mean squat in terms of storyline. I do hold some leftover hope though and seeing the hope of the near impossible vanish causes me to take a couple pot shots that I know are out of the way.

slax said:
No, at the end of the day, the objective is to tell a story. Characters are a medium to tell a story. The Octo Squad doesn't have anything to do with the story. On the other hand, The School, Vindel, Axel, Lamia, Kenneth Garret, etc, do. Even having said that, we may see the

next episode, which is probably the only significant thing that happens which involves the Octo Squad in the game. But again, you want to complain NOW.

Let me re-phrase that - The objective of "mauve shirts" is to make you care. It's an oft repeated tactic in real robot shots and was used in the original. These guys really don't have much of a future in this show, as did Giado and Garnet.

slax said:
that's not the point, the point is you're taking away something awesome to replace it with something utterly mundane. Besides, SEED sucked. Hard. I'd rather kill myself than see people try and make this show more like SEED.

Strawman fallacy.

I never said I was taking away from the "awesome". Heck, I think this show could use more of it by skipping much of the political stuff that, even in game, was a bit mundane. What I'm saying is that the existence of the characters like Octo squad have little use and are basically introduced, then removed. They're wasted space and only create confusion. Since they seemed determined to introduce them, what I'd like to see is a development of these characters to side characters to create emotional "playing chips" that they can cash in to "up the stakes", like the M1 Astray units [SEED], Black Tri-Stars, or Botta/Yuan [Tales of Symphonia]. These characters have minimal screen time outside of the battles (in extreme cases with the Astray girls, where it's zero outside of it...), but do bring more interest to the table when it comes to big battles and make them more intense. Even something as simple as a "I've got your back" type of line in the middle of battle to make them seem like those may actually have a psyche would help.

slax said:
that's the point, there isn't enough screen time, so you'd have to take it away from actually important characters in order to give it to the plot-unimportant Octo squad. I for one don't want to miss the epic showdowns in the next episode in favour of random shots of a mass-produced Gespenst. All I can say is thank god Obari doesn't call you every week for opinions, which is what you seem to want him to do.

Skipping the attempts at verbal abuse and the same strawman fallacy from above, I think the argument could go either way. I've seen cases where both work out extremely well.

Again, all I'm saying is that while I expected this to happen, I, as a vocal minority, would like to put in my already known EXTREMELY whiny point that Ibis and the Octo squad seem to be wasted character space at the moment and have served nothing but to be a "moment in the limelight" throwaway character that are akin to "girl of the week". I think for the most part, the show is being run well (though my personal dislike for the modern animation style and fanservice has always irked me), but does leave problem areas in the mass quantity of characters it has to use.

slax said:
I know this looks like an overraction, but it seems we can't go two weeks without someone complaining of something. Its just irritating. If you're gunna complain, either wait till the series is over, or complain about something legitimate.

Thank god you're not a sports fan. You'd get torn to pieces on many forums for such a theory.

Anyways, who made you the arbiter of what an "Episode discussion topic" is supposed to look like? What makes your opinion more valid than mine, where I believe one can make a snide remark if they so want?

slax said:
The reason no-one has raised legitimate complaints is because there aren't any.

I disagree. There are plenty and no show is without its flaws. If there weren't, this show would be given a 10/10.

The apparent feeling that fanservice, nipples, and panties must be thrown in each episode, the mass amount of confusion made by the multiple storylines, the overall degrade in art quality (battles aside) from DW, and some dues ex machinas definitely hurt the show.

slax said:
This show is darn good, but all some fans seems to be capable of doing is complaining, and when legitimate complaints can't be found they just go out in search of something to whinge about.

Go anywhere where a fan base is big enough and there will always be something to complain about.

slax said:
I mean, I don't care if people say star driver has too much filler, or the plot is too slow. I don't care if people say Iron man is too cliche, etc. I don't care because these are legitimate complaints. It seems the only issues people have with this series are:
1-They want to watch it all in one go, not wait a week
2-They don't want to watch Divine Wars, but expect not to be confused by jumping in halfway through a show
3-Obari didn't ring them specifically to ask their opinion about how to direct the show.

See above. I have plenty, but none of them that I really bother to bring up (since they're all subjective things, such as when are there too many characters, when is the storyline TOO confusing, how much fanservice is TOO MUCH fanservice)...and the one I do, I explicitly state that I'm just being a little bugger and antagonistic for saying it.

slax said:
Stop being so selfish, I respect your right to complain, but come on, we don't need it in every. single. thread.

I'd like to ask the same. Don't be so self-righteous and expect that what you think should go into an episode discussion SHOULD BE what goes into an episode discussions. People have the right to complain about things that don't make sense and are nit picky/impossible to fix as long as it's within terms of usage for the forum. MAL is a large community and not everybody is going to think that an episode topic should contain the same things you do. Not everybody is going to think that the same complaints are legitimate as you. It's a subjective thing. I try my best not to kick up a fuss and make it obvious that I'm being difficult when I say my fav isn't getting what I think is fair.

sylvanelite said:
The octo-squad have had more screen time than Elzam.

I'm pretty sure they've had more screen time than Gilliam.

They certainly have had more screen time than Sanger.

They have had a little bit more screen time than Lune.

Hell, the Octo-squad have had almost as much screen time as Axel. Let alone any of the Inspectors or the other Shadow Mirrors.

?_? I'm not sure much of this makes much of an argument. I mean, I think Gilliam has had more screen time that he did in game up until this point, Sangar has had the same approximate zero appearances, and Lune is about as relevant, so it makes sense. Same goes with Mai/Aya for the most part.

I think your comments on the appearances by Axel and the SMs seem a bit off too. It's pretty representative of what was in game. The SMs didn't play much of a role really until the back half of the game (aside from Echinda, whom seemingly has been dropped).

sylvanelite said:
What more could you want?

Again, I think what I'd "want" is basically the OG2/A2/A3 storylines of Ibis smashed into one 13 episode spectacular, but I'll never expect it to happen. See above to what I've said many times.

Dec 20, 2010 10:42 PM

Octo squad? Meh, just ignore that trash! SRW is still awesome and even better without those TRASH like octowhatever!
Hahahaha.

And I don't mind about fanservices in this anime. I LOVE fanservice.

Dec 21, 2010 2:29 AM

@kirant

If you wish to reply to this, I don't mind hearing you out, since you seem to have perfectly reasonable opinions, but I'd rather it be on my wall, than in this thread, to save it from getting drowned in an off-topic conversation.

Dec 21, 2010 3:12 AM

?_? I'm not sure much of this makes much of an argument. I mean, I think Gilliam has had more screen time that he did in game up until this point, Sangar has had the same approximate zero appearances, and Lune is about as relevant, so it makes sense. Same goes with Mai/Aya for the most part.

Your logic doesn't make sense.

On one hand, your saying that the Octo Squad and Ibis should be having more screen time, when you openly admit they are nothing characters. Yet Lune, daughter of Bian Zoldark, (plot-wise, the most important character in OG1), has little screen time, you say "it makes sense". It also "makes sense" to ignore the Octo Squad. Be thankful they have had as much screen time as they've been given.

I think your comments on the appearances by Axel and the SMs seem a bit off too. It's pretty representative of what was in game. The SMs didn't play much of a role really until the back half of the game (aside from Echinda, whom seemingly has been dropped).

And by that train of thought, the Octo Squad don't have a role in the game, so they shouldn't have a role in the anime.

Again, I think what I'd "want" is basically the OG2/A2/A3 storylines of Ibis smashed into one 13 episode spectacular, but I'll never expect it to happen. See above to what I've said many times.

This is for discussing "Super Robot Taisen OG: The Inspector Episode 12". Not your Ibis/Octo squad fanfic crossover. If you want to talk about your "13 episode spectacular", by all means, keep going. But it has nothing to do with Episode 12 of this anime.

and I'll reply to this:
... what I'd like to see is a development of these characters to side characters to create emotional "playing chips" that they can cash in to "up the stakes", like ... or Botta/Yuan [Tales of Symphonia]...

Have you seen Botta in the Tales of Symphonia OVA? (from your list I guess not, I'm not sure how up-to-date your list is). He has been completely shafted in the OVA. I'm not sure you realise, but you defeat your own point here.

Botta might have been an important character in the game, but in the animation he has had basically no role thus far. If you want Ibis and the Octo squad to follow Botta's lead, then they could have been dropped from the anime entirely, despite being prominent in the game. Again, just be thankful that your characters have had any screen time at all.

Dec 21, 2010 5:49 AM

(grabs nearest seat, with popcorn in hand)
don't mind me, please go on

Dec 21, 2010 6:28 AM

not what I have expected , but I was OK

Dec 21, 2010 10:14 AM

Dec 21, 2010 2:29 PM

@kirant:

Dec 21, 2010 4:05 PM

@kirant

Dec 21, 2010 4:38 PM

--Let me preface by saying that this will be the last post I'll make on this. I'm dead tired of this conversation and it's cutting into my limited break between the Fall and Winter semester. I'm not a big enough of a fan of this show to defend my points instead of doing more important things in my mind, such as get my internship prepared for next year. I can't say I'm conceding defeat, because I'm not. Being the sole debater due to ad nauseum isn't a victory. Merry Christmas to you guys.--

sylvanelite said:
Yeah. Exactly: "Lune doesn't get additional time because of the fact that she isn't a relevant character in this series" Let me re-word that for you: "The Octo Squad doesn't get additional time because of the fact that they aren't relevant characters in this series".

Let me point out that Lune gets additional battle sequences compared to the squad. If we compare two equally relevant characters, one gets treated differently.

sylvanelite said:
Which is exactly what their role has been. What your "asking for", has already been delivered.

Except they don't. I can only remember 1 battle sequence, their introduction episode, where they did anything. I think during the remaining, they haven't made an appearance...at least, not one I can recall

slax said:
that's not the point, the point is you're taking away something awesome to replace it with something utterly mundane. Besides
---
The seed thing was an aside. Please read the post if you're gunna quote it. As for "the new topic point", it isn't new, it was the first thing I said: "duke it out off-screen so we get to see grunts shoot each other". As for make it less awesome, that was because screentime is scarce, I already explained that.

We're getting nowhere quick. I've addressed those points, why it's a strawman fallacy, and my counter arguments.

slax said:
Well they did get a 6 second apperance in this ep, and they DID get one liners in the riksent episode and twice in episode 8 before that, which is every battle they've been in bar this one, which so far has had the most going on, which proves my point about limited screentime. I mean, what did Rai, Masaki, Irm or Lune say this ep? Exactly.

I don't care enough about this debate to check each battle to see if this is true. Sorry.

slax said:
The difference between quoting the reactions of an american forum on an american sport and quoting an english forum on a japanese anime should be obvious. There's a darn good reason I didn't list 2chan.

Whatever you believe bub. I've been on enough forums to realize this isn't true, but whatever you say.

slax said:
I don't need to say whether a complaint is legitimate or not, people's reactions do it for me.

And then who made you the arbiter of what reaction is correct? When did any of this ever come down to you?

Dec 21, 2010 6:03 PM

kirant said:

We're getting nowhere quick. I've addressed those points, why it's a strawman fallacy, and my counter arguments.

You haven't, you didn't read my post, you clearly don't know what a fallacy is, and you should stop with the rhetoric. Once you read my post and apply common sense, you'll realise what I said made perfect scene, clearly isn't a strawman, and your apology is accepted in advance.
I don't care enough about this debate to check each battle to see if this is true. Sorry.

Yeah, you don't watch the show and still complain about it. wow, you really are complaining for the sake of complaining. Apology accepted BTW.

Whatever you believe bub. I've been on enough forums to realize this isn't true, but whatever you say.

That's just sad. Someone who clings (incorrectly) to fallacies doesn't even know what an analogy is. And then uses "being on forums enough" as if it were a good thing. That's seriously sad. No, this isn't an ad hominum, if you think it is, you should re-read the last post, because what's sad is how badly you've missed the point.

And then who made you the arbiter of what reaction is correct? When did any of this ever come down to you?

lol. look, you clearly aren't listening to me, so I shan't reply any further. You haven't watched the show, don't know how to construct an argument and don't read the things you quote. I'm not going to reply further, suffice to say I've clearly won this "debate". Also, this next bit is out of goodwill, but the Otco squad get some fighting in episode 10, around 4 mins in, just after the splashscreen, as well as their debut episode.

Dec 22, 2010 1:10 AM

Since, I'm no longer actively participating in a debate, I think I'll leave it at this:
- After re-reading my last post, I realize I screwed up major amounts of what I was attempting to say. I had to leave for an interview in 5 minutes. It doesn't read what I'm trying to say as I didn't have an accurate reading of the well-intended counter arguments by slax, but I'll leave it because, again, I'm tired of this crap. Taking time out of more critical work (such as my future career) for something as frivolous as anime over the holidays is a waste. If slax or whoever it was (It's 2 AM here and I'm dead tired) want to re-open this debate in the future when I get ample opportunity to read their posts before my last one, they can drop a line, as, again, I didn't say what I really wanted to there and most of those arguments don't make a whole lot of sense, even in my mind.
- At the end of the day, slax, you sound like a man who seemingly thinks he's a bigger or better anime fan than those who don't have what you think are legitimate complaints, correct or not (I don't expect you to agree with this assessment, as, hell, who wants to view themselves as stuck up?). This comes up pretty prevalently when you throw all SRW fans under a bus and call them a colourful adjective (Why are SRW fans so.... Use your imagination to think of a colourful adjective that would end this sentence). Apparently you don't consider part of that group and, still be interested in the SRW franchise, must be something above it.

There is no "true" or "so called" fan. Everybody is just a fan, plain and simple. One may not be as experienced as the other and one may not know as much as the other, but they're still fans. Sure, they may be proven wrong in time, but whacking them over the head and telling them to shut up or not make illegitimate complaints (right or wrong) does nothing (as you yourself have said, you don't expect anything to happen) but make yourself look stuck up and elitist. Instead of looking like a snob and telling them to shut up or to complain about the group (as was done), ignore them or try to inform them of a hole in their information. Simply come out and say that "well, the reason that Octo Squad was "shafted" was that there just isn't any room for them to build on. With no storyline and no important scenes, they are automatically relegated to the cameos", or just get used to the fact that for most groups, you'll have stragglers, misinformed users and some people who just plain out miss the obvious. I think the old saying goes "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". It's certainly a great thing to keep in mind in all interpersonal relations.

At least, this is how I've viewed you from your first complaint post. Just some things to think about. Take from it what you want and me after my one attempted (and failed) rushed post. Again, I'm basically done here.

Dec 22, 2010 1:41 AM

@kirant : well well if you lose the debate then move your butt and get out from here, and also keep dreaming about that octotrash.

Dec 25, 2010 1:47 PM
Let me point out that Lune gets additional battle sequences compared to the squad. If we compare two equally relevant characters, one gets treated differently.
Beyond Lune/Valsione's introduction, they have had about the same amount of battle time in this show. Lune got her crowning moment of awesome earlier on, because unlike Octo Squad, she played a fairly important role when the Inspectors first appeared in the games, with Gilliam and Viletta. And Octo Squad still got to save the day in that episode lol

If I was a Katina/Octo Squad fan, I'd just be thankful they are even in this series, since I assumed they would have been entirely cut when this show first started.

Dec 25, 2010 3:56 PM

KaPe said:
@kirant : well well if you lose the debate then move your butt and get out from here, and also keep dreaming about that octotrash.

I don't think I said I ever "lost". I wrote one reply with not enough time (c'mon, 5 minutes to read and reply, before a stressful interview for an internship certainly isn't the best typing conditions) to properly create an intelligable argument, yes, but I never stated that my foundation of the argument was wrong. In all honestly, such a rude reply like this is actually a temptation for me to state it in every post just to bug you ;).

I digress though, being the sole debater because of ad nauseum isn't winning. It just means you've got more time that the other debaters.

Dec 26, 2010 2:27 AM

I don't think I said I ever "lost".

You never provided any kind of rebuttal or anything against any of the points against you, the ones you did raise even you admitted were grossly wrong. In other words, you lost. If you say so or not is irrelevant, since all your arguments were strongly refuted.

Dec 26, 2010 10:57 AM

sylvanelite said:
I don't think I said I ever "lost".

You never provided any kind of rebuttal or anything against any of the points against you, the ones you did raise even you admitted were grossly wrong. In other words, you lost. If you say so or not is irrelevant, since all your arguments were strongly refuted.

And I said that the post I made was under an extreme time constraint at that I'd stop posting in this forum, but have counter-arguments prepared which I'm perfectly willing to take into a personal debate. I understand there are reservations with a private messaging system, such as the ability to feign ignorance, but I promise that I'll stay as active as I can with such a heavy course load and internship interviews coming up. If that happens, you can personally gloat that you "won", but as I said, I wish to disengage from a topic purely built around the discussion from an episode to a more suitable venue.

Feb 5, 2011 7:53 PM

How about everyone shuts the fuck up, realizes the only people who "won" that "debate" were those of us who got to read and laugh.

===

Good episode all around. The shows getting a little clusterfucked with the amount of characters though. It's not killing the pacing where I thought it would but it's definitely effecting it to some degree.