Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 85 Discussion

Jun 3, 2008 9:30 AM
Vermillion

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Truniht is amazingly resilient. Like clockwork he disappears for large stretches of the story only to come back later. He may be able to do some damage this time around though.

The only way I can imagine Rubinsky could use Elfriede would be for threats against her and her child's safety. It will be ironic if Reuental suffers a downfall due to caring Elfriede though. Especially after denouncing her and claiming he would have forced her to have an abortion.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Nov 13, 2008 4:00 PM

tainteddonut said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The only way I can imagine Rubinsky could use Elfriede would be for threats against her and her child's safety. It will be ironic if Reuental suffers a downfall due to caring Elfriede though. Especially after denouncing her and claiming he would have forced her to have an abortion.

What a twist it would be indeed. I always thought Reuenthal would betray Lohengramm when this one would show some sign of weakness and would not fullfill all of his hopes for changing the society. if he dares to expose himself to a fight with his best friend Mittermeier for the sake of a woman or a child that he doesn't seem to care of, that would make an interesting character development.
On the other way, Rubinsky motivations to work for the grand bishop seem to be unclear now.His health is declining, so I can't figure out what profits he can make on a short term ...unless Dominique has agreed to give him an "heir"?

Jan 23, 2010 6:30 AM

That was some solid character reinforcement they did on Reinhard
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Jan 24, 2010 4:02 PM

I was glad they took us back to Reinhard's past to look back at his relationship with Annerose. I was also glad to know how grateful and he realized how indebted he is to her for this whole time.

I was dissapointed to know Oberstein did not have a hand in the actions the Earth Cult was taking. I also had a feeling Rubinsky would try to get back into the world by going after Lang.

What I really want to know now is what will the Empire do about the Earth Church and how will they get rid of them?

Nov 16, 2010 1:51 PM

why do i still get amused by the fact that the kaiser is writing with a feather?lol

good episode,Reinhard's flashback was kinda touching...

Rubinsky and his whore deserve to die,what deuchebags :\,although she is kinda hot,lol

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Nov 18, 2010 9:08 AM

clannad4ever said:
,although she is kinda hot,lol

5/5

hmm...yum yum
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Jan 1, 2011 9:55 PM

clannad4ever said:
why do i still get amused by the fact that the kaiser is writing with a feather?lol

Because he can!!! If I had his hair and cape, I would too

good episode,Reinhard's flashback was kinda touching...

Yes, even his hair was glowing in the dark.

Rubinsky and his whore deserve to die,what deuchebags :,although she is kinda hot,lol

5/5

Uhh....

I hope he dies, I get the bad feeling the empire will fall within. Thank God for Oberstein.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Apr 21, 2011 3:54 AM

I'm thinking it's the other way. Reuenthal always harbor some sort of personal ambition, he needs a reason revolt against Reinhard. Elfriede and his son could be his convenient excuse. For the first time, Rubinsky shows his vulnerability.

Sep 1, 2011 7:54 PM
What about the glowing hair? I wonder if that's why Reinhard can't rest?

Feb 11, 2012 8:44 PM

Radiated hair.
Cool.

Feb 18, 2012 3:38 PM

I'm not liking that deal with Truhnit. Shit might go down soon within the Empire.

May 17, 2012 7:36 PM

Confucius said:
I get the bad feeling the empire will fall within. Thank God for Oberstein.

I honestly don't know how to peg Oberstein right now -- I thought I understood him in season 1, but that image of him has gotten more and more muddled over seasons 2 and 3. There are times when I even think that he cares more about the Reich itself than anyone else.

Jun 23, 2012 1:43 PM

clannad4ever said:
she is kinda hot,lol

DAT GLASS

Jun 15, 2013 5:48 AM

oh man, I really don't want Reuenthal bertray Reinhard ... T^T
I am sure Reuenthal is not that stupid to bertray Reich only because a woman, but it will be different story if he wants to 'entertain' a lonely Reinhard who want to has a enemy in the same time..

lol about Truniht, Kaiser got trolled ><

and nice flashback in the end ...

Sep 29, 2013 2:53 PM

The person that Oberstein was talking about purging was obviously Reuenthal . . . I feel bad for him, but I'm guessing he is going to rebel against the emperor at some point.

Apr 7, 2014 8:45 PM
Come to think of it isn't that "shining blonde hair" flashback is the first time the series ever used surreal imagery/symbolism to establish characterisation? I know that they limit that due to the overall tone of the series being very serious but using that is way better than the narrator making very obvious foreshadowing about certain characters. It's okay to do that preachy narration when describing certain details that add to the realism, but when it's about getting in the minds of characters, it really makes it feel like the characters aren't masters of their lives and their deaths end up seeming like plot devices for more and more conflict. Very disappointed @ the last few eps and it doesn't seem like it will stop there, hope that the ending is solid enough to make the whole thing feel worth it. I miss how all the different powers at work were hinted by engaging, poetic dialogue, now it's simply the shady third party coming and going.

Aug 9, 2014 1:00 PM

Renato said:
clannad4ever said:
she is kinda hot,lol

DAT GLASS

Nov 3, 2014 7:10 AM

I really hope that Job Truniht gets executed by Reuental at some point in the future. That would be great.
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"

Nov 14, 2014 10:15 PM

Sabinlerose said:
Radiated hair.
Cool.

Explains why he keeps getting sick lol.

Mar 14, 2015 6:29 AM

I wonder how they are going to continue with this series for another 25 episodes.

Jun 3, 2015 3:38 PM

Truniht is back to do scheming and shit :DDD xD.

Jun 21, 2015 6:00 AM

Great development, that flashback at the end was quite nice as well! Let's see what's next.

Jul 22, 2015 1:47 AM

Fuck Rubinsky! But still overall pretty interesting development.

Jun 22, 2016 3:36 PM

Looks like Dominici is still holding on to that grudge against Rubinsky for killing Rupert.

It's funny, Truniht didn't appear at all in this episode but he still managed to find a way to piss me off.

Nov 8, 2016 3:44 AM

Rubinsky is an awesome villain (not exactly villain though), he relies on plotting and conspiracies, waiting for his chance like predator animals.
I dont like him but he is well written character.

Dec 5, 2017 1:01 PM

If Reinhard is the light, Rubinsky is the dark...this man is incredible and all his plans are always in the same way!!! This time has in the palm of his hand at Trunit!!!

Hello, my litte boy!

Apr 20, 2018 6:18 PM

It is April, 20th, 2018, the 110th day of the year. Going at a rate of one episode a day, I should have completed the series today. Well, stuff happened and I only made it to episode 85.
I loved this episode. The flashback to childhood, and the locket promise to my favorite character Kircheis about the Kaiser himself going to Odin one day. If I couldn't finish the series today, well this episode is a good consolation prize

May 1, 2018 12:02 AM
my boy Truniht is back!

May 16, 2018 11:36 PM
RIP Boltic!

That episode was fantastic!!

This episode made me like Lang for his charity work which he does anonymously , and then hate him when he teamed with Rubinski. What a tool.

Love that the anime tied up lose ends with Boltik. Got a laugh as the narrator mentioned his suicide and we clearly saw that was not the case! Rubinski now has Lang tied completely round his finger.

So Lutz is going to put Kesler on the case. Awesome, I love Kesler and want to see more of him. Obserstein is planning some shady shit too. Isn't he always?

I thhought Dominique had Rubinsky for a while, nope, he's just ill and probably dying. How many secret bases does that guy have? He's awesome. I loved the use of Debussy's creepy scary music when Dominique talks to Reuental's girl. I guess they may have been behind her statement to Lang all along and want to start a civil war. Rubinsky thinks De Villers may have put a curse on both him and Reinhard. Didn't think he would be so superstitious. He may want to convince Dominique to give him an heir soon as his time is surely running out.

The anime cleverly avoided showing us the baby's eyes too was was sneaky! I think Mittermeyer and his wife if they survive may end up adopting that baby

Job Truniht is just incredible. A man with no shame whatsoever to return to the planet that he sold out. But putting him with Reuetnal is putting too many combustible elements together.

Really incredible episode that sews together so many undercurrent plots.

Power standings:

1) The Empire- Still number one but Oberstein and Rubinski are going to bring this all crashing down unless Lutz and Kesler can prevent it and Reuetnal will revolt if they can't.
2) Julain's gang. Sitting patiently in Isherhorn alone.
3) Rubinski. Climbing back ahead of the Earth Cult due to his antics here.
4) The Earth Cult. So they killed Yang, what next? Maybe Reinhard and Rubinski will just die off and they will win? Is Job really done with them? If he isn't they have a massive ace up their hooded sleeves.
5) The Goldenbalms. Mentioned in this but not seen them still.

Mittermeyer reminded his admirals and the audience of the five factions which was nice.

MVP: Rubinski!

Nov 3, 2018 11:54 AM
There is something I don't understand: why did Rubinsky blackmailed Lang with that woman, Reuental's lover? I mean, what was the connection between Lang and her?

Nov 3, 2018 6:29 PM

SaiDrew said:
There is something I don't understand: why did Rubinsky blackmailed Lang with that woman, Reuental's lover? I mean, what was the connection between Lang and her?

I don't think it was ever mentioned directly in the series, but I assumed that Lang had purposely allowed that woman to slip away from the Internal Security Department's surveillance. Or even if it was truly a genuine oversight by the Internal Security Department, it would still reflect badly on him since he's their chief. So whatever the reason, it was quite natural for Lang to panic after seeing her hologram because he would assume that Rubinsky knew something about her that could potentially damage his career.

Nov 3, 2018 7:12 PM
MagisterArcanum said:
SaiDrew said:

I don't think it was ever mentioned directly in the series, but I assumed that Lang had purposely allowed that woman to slip away from the Internal Security Department's surveillance. Or even if it was truly a genuine oversight by the Internal Security Department, it would still reflect badly on him since he's their chief. So whatever the reason, it was quite natural for Lang to panic after seeing her hologram because he would assume that Rubinsky knew something about her that could potentially damage his career.

At first I thought that Rubinsky could make public the fact that Lang took advantage of the woman's illness to make her believe that she was a descendant of the old dynasty, but what you mention makes sense too.

Nov 10, 2018 2:33 AM

SaiDrew said:

At first I thought that Rubinsky could make public the fact that Lang took advantage of the woman's illness to make her believe that she was a descendant of the old dynasty, but what you mention makes sense too.
Yeah, that "illness" bit was just sarcasm from Rubinsky. He was toying with Lang in their conversation and showing he knew how to weaponize her against the Empire.

Nov 10, 2018 2:57 AM
eski514 said:
SaiDrew said:

Yeah, that "illness" bit was just sarcasm from Rubinsky. He was toying with Lang in their conversation and showing he knew how to weaponize her against the Empire.

Uhm, I missed that completely. I think I might go back and watch that part again...