Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 2, 2008 10:06 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Frederica's VA deserves some praise here. The scene where she confessed she couldn't care less as long as she had Yang was really well done. Still depressing though :(

Julian flipped. If he wasn't restrained back in the ship there probably wouldn't have been any identifiable remains of the attackers left. Sadly the Earth cult won this round :(

I should've seen this coming sooner though. Looking back, I noticed a trend with the EDs but didn't think much of it. Julian was always a main focus in the EDs. The first has him with Reinhard but the last two end with a close ups of him. That should've been a tip off of his larger role to come.

Everything just fell apart at such a fast pace I'm wondering how they'll be able to hold everything together. They're essentially the very last bastion of democracy left in the galaxy. With Frederica as the political representative and Julian leading the military, can they really make it work out fine? Considering all the deserters that will be leaving they're going to have an incredibly tough time. I have my doubts they can even remain in Iserlohn. They'll need to find a place to hide out and regroup.
tainteddonutJun 3, 2008 6:38 AM

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Nov 9, 2008 3:44 AM

Apr 2008
I think I shed more tears than for the previous episode; the reactions of everyone was so realistic (though sometimes suprising, for instance I would have never thought to see Cazernes crying). The choice of Frederica and Julian as political and military successors is logical if based on the hope that everyone will follow them for the sake of Yang memory. Murai's moral sacrifice is very admirable to drain the people would be deserters or traitors later on with him.
Can't wait to see Lohengramm reaction ; he has lost what whas maybe his only reason to live or at least to fight.
Jun 24, 2009 11:33 PM

Apr 2009
That was officially the most depressing episode of any anime Ive ever seen. I like to think of myself as a brimming tub of testosterone and manliness, but even I was holding back tears.

Next ep, the Imperial reaction to Yang's death. Reinhard is gonna be an unhappy camper...uh, Galactic Kaiser.

Jun 25, 2009 4:56 AM

Feb 2005
I have yet to see any other anime portray grief this realistic. The varied reactions were all brilliantly portrayed and seemed much more real than the usual melodrama grief you see in other series.
Nov 3, 2009 1:04 PM

Jul 2008
what Frederica said about not caring about anything was just T.T
what a depressing episode..
Nov 19, 2009 5:09 AM

Dec 2008
I also cried.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Dec 19, 2009 1:56 PM

Nov 2007
tainteddonut said:
The scene where she confessed she couldn't care less as long as she had Yang was really well done.

I shed tears. Really.

Somehow, this episode had lot more impact than the last one. I'd call this good writing.
Dec 21, 2009 5:00 PM

Dec 2008
I was on the verge of crying during the first half of this episode.

The characters emotions were very reallistic, definitely the most depressing anime episode I have ever seen.
Jan 23, 2010 2:04 AM

Sep 2008
THis is THE MOST heart wrenching episode of any anime I've seen yet. Or at least in the top 5 any way. I had a tough time holding back my tears :(
Its a good thing they warned of this event in the previous episodes, I would've hated it if his death was a surprise
tainteddonut said:

----------------------------------------
Frederica's VA deserves some praise here. The scene where she confessed she couldn't care less as long as she had Yang was really well done. Still depressing though :(

yea man..and the way she was wailing, it was so real.

tainteddonut said:

I should've seen this coming sooner though. Looking back, I noticed a trend with the EDs but didn't think much of it. Julian was always a main focus in the EDs. The first has him with Reinhard but the last two end with a close ups of him. That should've been a tip off of his larger role to come.

actually I remember that thought crossing my mind back when I saw the first Ed. I thought MAYBE yangs gonna die and Julians going to finished what was started between him and Reinhard.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 24, 2010 11:30 AM

Jan 2009
This may be the best and worst episode I've seen....the worst in that we really confirm that Yang is gone, but not forgotten.... the best in how realistically the reactions of everyone involved are portrayed.

It's regrettable that Admiral Murai would leave Iserlohn, but admirable that he would take all the deserters and other broken souls with him.

Now that everyone at Iserlohn has taken the bad news, I wonder how the Empire will take things? I wonder how will Reinhard will take things most importantly... that his greatest enemy would not fall at his own hands, but by something beyond his reach... :(
Jan 27, 2010 2:20 PM

Apr 2009
Silverhammer said:
I also cried.

+1, cried like a baby at the beginning when Julian arrived...
damn that was depressing (
May 12, 2010 1:12 AM

Aug 2008
Julian was amazing.

When those politicians said 'some dead person' I got so pissed. And to say that to that 'dead persons' only son is pretty horrible as it is insensitive.

So. Sad. Ugh.

I can't wait to see Reinhard's reaction when he finds out, though. He's going to freak and not in a happy way, either.

I'm glad it wasn't the Imperials who did something so low. Though those Terraists are a bunch of cunt-wad assholes.

But seeing that calm look on his face like that was so unbelievably sad. The line about the one who cries first is so typical of that guy's awesome lines.
Jul 15, 2010 1:56 PM

May 2009
Julian went berserk with rage; I never thought I'd see him like that.

tainteddonut said:
The scene where she confessed she couldn't care less as long as she had Yang was really well done.
Yeah, that really made me tear up... In my opinion, it was the most depressing and sad moment so far in LoGH.

I'm also very much looking forward to seeing Reinhard's reaction to Yang's death.
Jul 18, 2010 2:40 PM

Sep 2009
tainteddonut said:
The scene where she confessed she couldn't care less as long as she had Yang was really well done. Still depressing though :(

smokes said:
Silverhammer said:
I also cried.

+1, cried like a baby at the beginning when Julian arrived...
damn that was depressing (

Even more tears were shed.
Sep 7, 2010 11:24 PM

Apr 2009
Whoa! Julian butchered them all! o_O

Rozen Ritters are tough as they come, I can't believe Rainer Blumhardt was still alive when von Schenkopp found him, too bad he died of his wounds too. Even his last words; "If he's not alive, things wont be interesting from now on." and he was of course referring to Yang rings truth.

Frederica Greenhill-Yang said:
"Admirable"? I'm not at all admirable! To tell the truth, I don't mind if democracy ceases to exist! I don't care even if the entire universe were to return to atoms! If he is...as long as he is reading books, half-asleep, alongside me...

and that other quote really hit the spot, suddenly her grief looks very real to me when she teared up in front of Julian. T_T
tofeiSep 7, 2010 11:42 PM
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 10, 2010 9:40 PM
Jun 2010
I still can't believe Yang is dead...

Julian replacing Yang and becoming more "Manly"...

oh wait, I think I've seen that in a certain mecha anime not long ago lol

Nov 13, 2010 5:07 AM

Jan 2010
i feel empty inside...i don't even care about the plot anymore :\

....man this sucks...

but it was an enjoyable episode so 5/5,i'll continue watching to see how will it turn out
i don't even know if in my head lotgh became a masterpiece or lost all hope
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 31, 2010 7:40 PM

May 2010
Unlike you guys, I almost cried because they actually want to replace Yang with Julian. I mean cmon guys, REALLY? JULIAN??? e s

Those guys arguing with Dusty was right, Julian is no Reinhard. It's a crime to even have him in the same sentence as Reinhard-sama. Not only is his hair not long and blonde enough, he is also such a baby.

I rather they give the position to Merkatz (someone who I hate very very very VERY much and I want him dead, but since it has been 83 episodes, I doubt he will die)
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 17, 2011 12:05 PM
Jul 2010
The death scene itself was horribly real, but this is crazy. The emotions are more heartfelt than a lot of real funerals I've attended. Not just the grieving either.

It's only natural that the last bastion of democracy appointed, without election, hereditary military and political leaders, while the Galactic Emperor makes a point to have no heir.
thisiodfklnMar 17, 2011 10:23 PM
Aug 15, 2011 11:51 AM

Mar 2009
There is something I don't really understand...

Those Terraists want to make the Empire and the Alliance destroy each other so that Earth will rise again as the sole power, right?

But all they've been doing so far is letting the Empire win. Even moreso now, that by killing off Wenli and Romsky, they cut the head off the remaining forces of the Alliance.

Are they stupid or what?

Besides, it's crystal clear that Lohengramm will be so pissed that he will wipe the Terraists off the universe... They just sealed their fates.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 31, 2011 4:00 PM
Jun 2011
Very sad...I feel sad for Frederica the most...She only got to be with Yang for a year after being a fan for so long. Sucks!
Dec 20, 2011 7:21 AM
Feb 2011
kodial said:
Besides, it's crystal clear that Lohengramm will be so pissed that he will wipe the Terraists off the universe

I lol'd, but its true. Reinhard will be furious.

- Julian finding Yang and berserking on the Imperial-dressed Terraists was absolutely shocking, but so completely believable. He ripped up four of them before they had a chance to draw their blasters, and then continued to pound the skull of one particular man even though he was already dead. damn.

- Mrs. Yang's hope for how Yang should have died, his achievements forgotten by almost everyone, and he would die quietly in a chair reading a book as an old man, that hit me harder than her statement about not caring, but both were really emotional.

" We should get Mrs. Cazellnu to tell Frederica... At a time like this, men are too pathetic."
Dec 20, 2011 12:49 PM

Oct 2011
Guys, for those of you that have seen the rest, I gotta ask: is it only downhill from here? I'd rather leave while I still have fond opinions about the show. I mean... let's face it, Julian isn't protag material, especially in the afterglow of Yang. And I wasn't really interested in Lohengramm's struggles to begin with, nor am I interested in the Earth cult's ploy, whatever it may be.

Is it a good time to stop?
Dec 20, 2011 1:50 PM

Sep 2008
ideoidiom said:
Guys, for those of you that have seen the rest, I gotta ask: is it only downhill from here? I'd rather leave while I still have fond opinions about the show. I mean... let's face it, Julian isn't protag material, especially in the afterglow of Yang. And I wasn't really interested in Lohengramm's struggles to begin with, nor am I interested in the Earth cult's ploy, whatever it may be.

Is it a good time to stop?

While the fourth season has its flaws and haters, I see it as one huge finale to the whole story. The last episode is really good, and the show has one of my all time favorite endings, so I recommend you to watch the rest if only to see how it ends. There are some surprises and shocks left as well.
If the shock of his death is too much, just take a break and watch the prequel movies, if you haven't done so already, or watch something else until you're ready to watch it again. Thats what I did.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 20, 2011 1:52 PM

Oct 2011
Good advice. I'll take it.
Jan 24, 2012 12:15 AM

Sep 2009
I think I might need to watch the prequel stuff too.
Those I haven't seen already, anyways.

Just so....heart wrenching.
What an acurate portral of grief and pain.
No typical anime bullshit about the protagonist slamming his or her fist into the wall and then sulking for countless episodes....
Feb 4, 2012 5:50 AM

May 2009
This episode made Yang's death real. My tears. ;__;

tainteddonut said:
Frederica's VA deserves some praise here. The scene where she confessed she couldn't care less as long as she had Yang was really well done.
As was the scene where she described how Yang should have died: In his old age, while quietly reading a book under the sun. *sob*
Feb 4, 2012 5:55 AM
Feb 2010
You know a series is godlike when they get you to cry over a charachter's death that you didn't even like. I was actually hoping for that scene for the first 80 episodes, but when it finally happened i found myself pretty sad over his death. Started to like Yang after that.
Feb 16, 2012 11:52 PM
Nov 2010
Yang dying of old age half-reading a book broke me...It was so sad and beautiful.
So depressing. And now to see how Reinhard reacts to this...
Feb 17, 2012 8:05 PM

Aug 2010
Confucius said:
Unlike you guys, I almost cried because they actually want to replace Yang with Julian. I mean cmon guys, REALLY? JULIAN??? e s

Those guys arguing with Dusty was right, Julian is no Reinhard. It's a crime to even have him in the same sentence as Reinhard-sama. Not only is his hair not long and blonde enough, he is also such a baby.

I rather they give the position to Merkatz (someone who I hate very very very VERY much and I want him dead, but since it has been 83 episodes, I doubt he will die)

Why do all of your posts make me cringe?
Feb 17, 2012 11:28 PM

Sep 2009
BasedSky said:
Confucius said:

Why do all of your posts make me cringe?

Because extreme bipartisanship is never fun for anyone.
Feb 24, 2012 7:20 AM
Aug 2010
Will I be able to watch this series without Yang?

Mar 3, 2012 4:19 AM

Jan 2008
It's a STORY people, with a cast of hundreds. How can anyone stop watching a story just because one character died!? Don't you want to know how the saga ends? Which side will win? Reinhard's fate?
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 3, 2012 7:20 AM

Oct 2008
Trance_Kuja90 said:
You know a series is godlike when they get you to cry over a charachter's death that you didn't even like. I was actually hoping for that scene for the first 80 episodes, but when it finally happened i found myself pretty sad over his death. Started to like Yang after that.

Can you explain why you disliked Yang?
Apr 24, 2012 8:01 PM
Apr 2011
This episode destroyed every last molecule of testosterone in my body.

I absolutely lost it when Cazellnu's voice cracked and he turned his face away to wipe a tear.

damn you Yang.
May 1, 2012 10:27 PM

Mar 2011
Holy Hannah, when Frederica lost it...that was a powerful scene. I love her.

This episode had my eyes watery. Great work.
May 17, 2012 12:47 PM

Feb 2012
If (i.e. when) I ever watch this series again, I'm going to look at Murai very differently. He's played a necessary but thankless role as Yang's Chief of Staff all along, and I have to respect a man who's willing to draw ire upon himself for the greater good.

The variety of reactions to Yang's death was very wide, and each of them was believable. Grief is a bitch.
Jun 23, 2012 1:11 PM

Apr 2009
Frederica thought Yang would die like Don Corleone.
Jun 27, 2012 2:05 AM

Sep 2008
Renato said:
Frederica thought Yang would die like Don Corleone.

lol
Jul 8, 2012 1:39 AM

Feb 2011
Felt a bit more emotional for Yang's death in this episode, just because of everyone's realistic reactions. Murai is a true soldier of democracy, man what a trooper.
Jul 17, 2012 12:20 PM
Jun 2011
I didn't cry, but the way his death came so suddenly was shocking. I was quiet for almost the rest of the day after seeing his death and the fallout from it. Witnessing Julian now replacing him, I don't see how they will have a chance at beating the Empire. Without Yang it doesn't feel like it will be possible, at least not in my eyes.

I have to admit, for most of the series so far I've been hoping that Kaiser Reinhard will take over the universe. Now it feels like I've rooted for the loss of a family member.
May 12, 2013 6:07 PM

Aug 2012
God damn it all.. I go about my day after watching this, and whenever I start thinking about it I feel as heavy as a stone. Literally saying "Yang Wenli is dead" stirs me too much, and I wasn't even attached to him as much as Lohengramm.

The way the series pulls this off, nothing short of magnificent.
Aug 6, 2013 12:05 AM

Jun 2013
Without Yang, everything's falling apart, what's next?
Aug 6, 2013 6:37 PM

Aug 2008
I just hope Frederica doesn't turn out to be pregnant, would be so cliche.

Sad though, Julian is a faint shadow compared to Yang, I never cared for Julian anyway and now his importance has grown.
Sep 26, 2013 5:59 PM

Nov 2009
Why did the Terraists leave behind evidence that they were indeed Terraists? Or did they do that on purpose for some larger scheme? Although honestly, it would be easier to manipulate the empire if they didn't know that the manipulators weren't still alive . . .

Anyways, this the part with Frederica almost made me cry. I feel terrible for her.

Hoping next episode they announce Yang's death (or it gets leaked) to the empire, I want to see just how pissed Reinhard will get . . . (Starting to get the feeling that Julian will actually unify the empire under democracy in the end, like their were two stars in history that lead way to the major star)
Oct 12, 2013 1:59 PM

Jul 2011
I want to see Reinhard's reaction. Someone, go tell the forces of the Empire.
Dec 17, 2013 12:19 PM

Jan 2013
In some I believe they were actually sent by Oberstein to assassinate Yang.
Btw , the are another 27 episodes left and ... without Yang ?
I also want to see Reinhard's reaction and what will he do about this..
Dec 23, 2013 10:46 PM

Jun 2013
Nightmare95 said:
In some I believe they were actually sent by Oberstein to assassinate Yang.
Btw , the are another 27 episodes left and ... without Yang ?
I also want to see Reinhard's reaction and what will he do about this..

Actually, Oberstein had nothing to do with the assassination. He only merely contemplated about it before. Instead, the assassination was carried out by Terraists under the orders of Archbishop De Villier.
Jan 15, 2014 7:55 AM

Sep 2013
Wait a second, did they all just forget everything about the negotiations just because Yang was killed by Terraists? The Empire had nothing to do with it, so there is no reason to why they should not make peace.
Jan 15, 2014 8:32 AM

Sep 2012
Vikutasutamiru said:
Wait a second, did they all just forget everything about the negotiations just because Yang was killed by Terraists? The Empire had nothing to do with it, so there is no reason to why they should not make peace.

They didn't.Its just that negotiations were started because NO one was able to beat yang.After the loss of yang FPA doesn't stand a chance against Empire.Empire now can go and crush remaining rebels easily so why negotiation.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 33 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 29, 2008

58 by ELuck42 »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.