Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 81 Discussion

Jun 2, 2008 7:49 PM
Vermillion

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
There was almost an 'oh shi-' moment when it was reported Mittermeyer died. That would've been their biggest blow of the battle if it turned out to be true.

Hilda has almost always given her advice freely but it looks like she may have to start limiting what she says. Reinhard didn't look too pleased. If she's not careful she may end up like Oberstein, coming to many disagreements as time passes.

Reinhard calling for a truce seems odd after his boisterous speech about not returning until Yang is defeated. Even though he's fallen ill and most of his men are fatigued he still has the advantage to press on. Yang's fleet was far more fatigued and less able to fight it out until the end.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Jun 24, 2009 10:17 PM

I felt my stomach drop when they said that Mittermeyer died. Reuenthal seemed to be devastated by it, and I bet he would have lost it had he really had died.

How ironic that Reinhard gets sick at the same time that Yang's fleet loses its battle potential and is the most fatigued. Of course, we still have 30 episodes to go, so if Yang was defeated there, it would have been a pretty boring 30 episodes of Reinhard just pacing around looking for an enemy to fight.

Oct 26, 2009 11:37 PM

Good episode, and I couldn't believe it when they said Mittermeyer was killed. I'm glad it turned out to be nothing but a rumor.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Nov 3, 2009 11:17 AM

I was in a big shock when they said Mittermeyer is dead..thank god he didn't..he is one of my fav characters..

Nov 18, 2009 2:16 PM

Did the Kaiser really send that message to Yang? I'm idly wondering if this is the manifestation of Rubinsky's assasination attempt, although it seems implausible in the middle of a massive battle.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

Dec 21, 2009 3:52 PM

Mittermeyer's "death" really was a wtf moment.

Jan 22, 2010 8:38 AM

My first reaction was that mittermayer was playing some trick for some reason :P
I loled at the soldiers falling asleep in the corridors

Silverhammer said:
Did the Kaiser really send that message to Yang?

I'm wondering about the same thing. Is it some trick by the imperials without the knowledge of Reinhard, who's now on bed rest...

Osaka117 said:
Of course, we still have 30 episodes to go, so if Yang was defeated there, it would have been a pretty boring 30 episodes of Reinhard just pacing around looking for an enemy to fight.

LOL so true.

PS: The preview to this ep is so EVIL :(

EDIT: Just wondering, is fredrica pregnant by any chance? :P
Modified by eyerok, Jan 22, 2010 12:27 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Jan 23, 2010 10:56 PM

Someone had a near miss, someone almost lost an admiral, someone did lose an admiral, someone lost their most effective defense, and someone almost lost a best friend. There was so much loss in this episode that when I finished, I spent the next twenty minutes just comprehending what I saw.

When the Imperial forces retreated after Reinhard fell ill, the Yang fleet earned their longest rest ever. It was fortunate in that had the battle lasted any longer, their forces would have been completely crushed.

I also agree that letter speaking of a cease fire is probably the Earth Cult's attempt to take Yang's life. I couldn't bear to see him go, as the impact it would have on EVERYTHING would be huge. Frederica would be without a husband, Attenborough and Cazellnu would be without a best friend, Julian would be without his father figure, and most importantly, Reinhard would lose his greatest driving force.

It can't happen. =\

May 11, 2010 11:48 PM

The false alarm of Mittermeyer's death was stated so offhandedly that I was like 'did the subtitle say what I thought it said?' Def. a jaw-drop moment, though.

The cease-fire proposal is definitely bull shit, though.

Jun 2, 2010 11:42 PM

This was a good episode to watch before goin to bed. Watching all the soldiers fall asleep in the corridors for 15 minutes made me sleepy :D

Jun 6, 2010 5:46 AM

Jun 21, 2010 5:26 PM

The mass-narcolepsia was kinda strange. Sure they are tired, but it seemed exaggerated ^^
Nevertheless a great episode.

StephenCovey said:
Most of us don't listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.

Jul 15, 2010 12:21 PM

Cowabunga said:
Mittermeyer's "death" really was a wtf moment.
This. It really shocked me.

It was hilarious how everyone literally fell asleep; Attenborough was particularly funny.

Jul 18, 2010 1:21 PM

net_nomad said:
The false alarm of Mittermeyer's death was stated so offhandedly that I was like 'did the subtitle say what I thought it said?'

Same! I had to go back and re-watch that bit again to be sure!
And O_O at the preview... that really made my stomach sink!

Aug 25, 2010 10:39 AM

Fischers death was so obvious after that one scene lol

Nov 12, 2010 2:19 PM

JungleJane said:
net_nomad said:
The false alarm of Mittermeyer's death was stated so offhandedly that I was like 'did the subtitle say what I thought it said?'

Same! I had to go back and re-watch that bit again to be sure!

LOL i did the same thing xD...god thank you for not killing mittermeyer...yet :)

but i really started to laugh my butt when everyone fell asleep xd,that was a really weird moment

JungleJane said:

And O_O at the preview... that really made my stomach sink!

ok i remembered eyerok's advice but i almost watched the preview lol,i paused the video exactly when the 1st subtitle showed up and then closed the player ASAP xD
i didn't get to read anything,but your statement really scares the hell out of me :\

iff that blonde brat pulls out a trick i'm gonna be so mad

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Dec 31, 2010 6:38 PM

Silverhammer said:
Did the Kaiser really send that message to Yang? I'm idly wondering if this is the manifestation of Rubinsky's assasination attempt, although it seems implausible in the middle of a massive battle.

I have the same sneaking suspicion.

Now someone tell me why couldn't Merkats die?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Jan 5, 2011 1:23 PM

Confucius said:
Silverhammer said:

I have the same sneaking suspicion.

Now someone tell me why couldn't Merkats die?

do you want to really know if he dies or not?
Modified by eyerok, Jan 5, 2011 1:26 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Feb 7, 2011 7:44 AM

God, I almost had a freaking heart attack when they said Mittermeyer was dead. Heck, I even managed to shed a few tears before they proceeded to dismiss the rumour xD He can't die. Can't. Everyone but him (and Dusty).
Too bad about Fischer :( -salutes-

Especially at Attenborough xD
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)

Mar 16, 2011 12:23 AM
Sooo glad Mittermeyer is alive. Had to rewatch that scene

Reinhard better not have called for a ceasefire because his fever was preventing him from personally commanding the victorious force. Should have either sucked it up or let his subordinates, who'd been fighting for less time than Yang's, win the battle. It just seems odd for him to call for it now.

Mar 29, 2011 12:25 PM

I did "HUH???????" with Mittermeyer for a while there. Would have been very strange to kill such an important character so suddenly offscreen....

The corridor battle certainly had it's fill of explosions. Makes me wonder what it would look like if Gainax had made this...probably wouldn't have been able to see shit from all the things blowing up :P

Aug 15, 2011 10:27 AM

Come on, guys! You seriously didn't believe that Mittermeyer died, right?

I mean, think about it... Fischer gets a scene all to himself before the battle began, which made us realize that he was going to die there. And Mittermeyer will just die suddenly like this out of nowhere? Just no way...

You just got trolled...
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!

Aug 30, 2011 10:57 PM
Tyestor said:

Can't help but laugh.

I laughed at these moments too...They were just so exhausted. Amazingly Yang made it to his bed unlike 90% of them. Merkatz was going strong...as was Julian. Awesome Episode...glad Mittermeyer isn't dead.

Dec 19, 2011 7:56 PM
I had to rewind the part where Mittermeyer's death was reported and all the characters getting the news. Partly because it was so sudden and partly because I misread the subtitles.

I lol'd at Merkatz's attendant guy falling asleep in the elevator. The door opens and we see him sleeping, and then it closes. A bit of humor there.

Jan 23, 2012 10:47 PM

That would be a Legend of the Galactic Hero's way to kill someone though.
They did it with Ivan, who while not nearly as important a character, was killed completely offscreen.

"Death happens randomly."

Feb 16, 2012 10:04 PM

'The Mittermeyer is death' moment scared the hell out of me (I was already crying) and seeing Reuenthal's reaction...;-;
And Fisher! It was kind of obvious but still sad.

Feb 17, 2012 6:29 PM

Yeah my heart also stopped when I heard about Mittermeyer dying. I'm glad it was false.

The scene where they all fall asleep was hilarious but it did it's purpose on showing just how much fatigue a war can shoot out to the human body

Apr 6, 2013 12:40 AM

Man that narrator loves to troll. I did a double take when he announced Mittermeyer's death.

Something is definitely fishy with the upcoming negotiations. Seems like something Oberstein would plan if he was back on his feet.

Jun 12, 2013 6:38 AM

I too, was at a loss when the narrator stated that Mittermeyer died. I'm terrible with names, so for a second I was like "Wait a sec, isn't he the Gale Wolf? One of the most prominent characters in the show? And they just killed him like that?" It definitely seemed like a very realistic move from the creators though. And in the end that's how Fischer's death played out, though he triggered that massive flag beforehand, no surprises there. 4/5.

That preview...man...that preview...

Jun 14, 2013 6:59 PM

Mogami-kun said:
That preview...man...that preview...

T^T

If you watched the preview I think you would easily predict about what will happen in the next episode and what is really happened in the last part of this episode..
Yeah, it is impossible that message is from Reinhard, there is no reason for him want to talk when he is have a high fever.. Yang most likely will be killed by Earth Church's conspiration like that we have saw in a couple episode ago..
Oh man, I still don't want Yang to be killed just like that, I still want more to see his 'magic'.. I still want to see his duel with Reinhard, we haven't see it much !! T^T

Aug 5, 2013 10:57 PM

Everyone collapsed, but that Merkatz is still standing HAHA

Sep 25, 2013 1:25 PM

Why would they retreat? Their whole plan was for naught, and it wasn't exactly one that required Reinhard to be present to pull off . . . By retreating they completely gave up the advantage they had (better rested) . . . Oh well.

Jan 6, 2014 2:37 AM
NO!

Apr 8, 2014 10:16 PM

Lol at that Mittenmeyer "death" scene.

Apr 24, 2014 5:36 AM

Wyvern-Ventrue said:
'The Mittermeyer is death' moment scared the hell out of me (I was already crying) and seeing Reuenthal's reaction...;-;
And Fisher! It was kind of obvious but still sad.
Sukaisong said:
Yeah my heart also stopped when I heard about Mittermeyer dying. I'm glad it was false.

I was stunned by Mittermeyers "death". That was so unexpected and out of the blue. From here we see that the Narrator can lie and troll, which in retrospect means that you can't take everything he says for a certainty unless its shown to have happened beyond a doubt . Even then we have examples like Obstereins body gravely wounded after the terrorist explosion, but yet he turns out to be fine.

Jul 17, 2014 4:28 PM

That fever... Reinhard had been showing those symptoms for many episodes now, it can't be just fatigue. And at the same time as Frederica? My prediction is that the Terraists are spreading some kind of disease.

Aug 9, 2014 9:51 AM

My reaction to the announcement of Mittermeyer's death was surprising. I didn't even realise I liked him that much until that short moment. If he died I'd really worry about Reuenthal's ever present ambition not being suppressed somewhat by their friendship.

Nov 14, 2014 7:25 PM

Reinhard's fabulous long golden hair is feeding off his life energy D:

Jan 6, 2015 2:10 AM

The offhand manner in which Mittermeyer's 'death' was announced was certainly a moment for pause. I was satisfied with how the battle ended. Sure Reinhard falling ill has happened before, but what fun would it be if Yang was defeated without the Terraists carrying out their plan ;)
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Mar 7, 2015 6:27 PM

Finally, a real battle. Both sides were having trouble which was good. I hope that Empire finishes them off but I wonder how they might enact a negotiation?

Mar 7, 2015 6:29 PM

xAvengerx said:
Reinhard's fabulous long golden hair is feeding off his life energy D:

Lol, that's probably why.

Jun 2, 2015 11:27 AM

Glad Mittermeyer is still alive.
This was the best battel so far :) haha would like to see an alternate route where they attack at this moment :P
What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power and people who flatter them hide in safe places and extol war, force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, then send them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war with the Empire, mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites? - Yang Wenli

Jun 3, 2015 9:12 AM

Epic, that battle was just fucking epic. I almost got a heart attack when they received the false message that admiral Mittermeyer got killed in action.

Jun 20, 2015 4:56 PM

Very impressive episode, that battle was amazingly epic! But I do wonder what will happen next.

Jul 19, 2015 7:40 PM

For a moment I freaked out hearing that message! Crazy just how tired everyone actually is. They were all just falling asleep on the ground!

Aug 20, 2015 2:24 AM

Dropped the fork I was eating with when I heard Mittermeyer died.

Then I said a big "fuck you" when it wasn't true.

Aug 24, 2015 9:52 PM
Highlights: too many.

- Mittermeyer rumour
- Mass-sleeping
- Battles
- Frederica smiling <3. Breaking character after danna and oyome commander-inferior exchange.

Oct 15, 2015 4:13 PM

Don't scare me like that Mittermeyer !

Apr 19, 2016 10:44 PM

Mittermayer's death announcement was shocking. I'm glad he's alive, though.
Those sleeping scenes were funny and adorable, too XD

Jun 22, 2016 12:21 PM

It's a good thing I didn't fall for the whole "Mittermeyer is dead" part for one bit, it was way too left field imo lol.

Saw Fischer's death coming miles away :(

I gotta agree with Reinhard there, Hildegarde did step out of line with that comment of hers.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »