Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 6, 2014 11:59 AM

Nov 2014
Oh god whoever suggested that ciguatera. Dude the reactions are annoying but i like story line.

Back to the topic

I thought she was alive at first even though my heart feels like shes dead. The ending was hella confusing. I had to read it 3x 4x to understand it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2014 11:38 PM
Nov 2010
I was looking for a digital version of this manga on iTunes, and I didn't find it (of course, mature content), instead I stumbled upon this podcast.
Skip the first 3-5 mins, I agreed with how most of the conversation was going. It started out by mentioning how repulsive this manga appeared to be, and developed to a full-on discussion of the story and characters. Pretty long ~45mins. Pretty interesting though.
They made some good points I didn't think about, such as how Kurumi and Hideo's relationship started out, and how much power Kurumi or Hideo had over each other, etc.
It's a new experience for me listening to other people talking about Sundome, rather than reading reviews like I've always done.
jindo90Dec 9, 2014 1:48 AM
Mar 21, 2015 10:50 PM

Jul 2013
Absolutely saddening, at least he became a doctor. The roman club and the OBs were pretty bro through. Somebody mentioned that a manga featuring the Roman club would be cool and I would have to agree.

Wish Kurumi didn't die, and we knew what she actually died of. I appreciate how the author to make the ending not so traumatic by showing that everybody was able to move on and live their lives.
May 26, 2015 12:18 AM
May 2015
Hold up hold up hold up. So he's now working as a doctor in the hospital where he was arrested for runnin' around the intensive care unit at night in his birthday suit jizzin' on the patients windows?? That's kinda fucked up. I'd like to think they'd have more stringent checks for their doctors. But you guys casually talking about necrophilia n shit so s'pose you wouldn't realise just how weird that is.

On that note how does he explain the body? Walks back into the hospital with a sleeping bag and hands it into reception... "Erm, it was naked when I found it... Promise..." "The cum was also there when I found it!" *sprints away*

Again, not sure I'd want someone with that kinda history being a doctor. Hate to shit on your parade and all.
BraaaaapmonkeyMay 26, 2015 12:24 AM
Oct 27, 2015 8:07 AM

Oct 2011
That moment when you finished reading and go to forum to check people reaction to the ending, and then you realize that you just misunderstood the ending. OMG
Fuck!!
I did seriously though she's alive...
Nov 30, 2015 11:01 PM

Jul 2013
Decent manga. It's an emotional story and writers should take note in how to properly build a relationship between two characters. Hideo actually develops during the story and improves himself.

It was obvious she was going to die she was way too sick to survive (beyond miracle cure). I am with the people who think they didn't have sex at the end. Sundome means something like "stopping right before" so keeping up with the theme he never got to have sex with Kurumi.

She lives in his memories but he won't be able to move on (scene with impotence demonstrates this). He will most probably dedicate his entire life to trying to find a cure for Kurumi's disease.

Just shows you how love is complex, and every love is unique in it's own way, and never really disappears you just learn to live on.
retributionisblind.wordpress.com
Dec 14, 2015 4:48 AM
Jul 2015
That ending was sad. I'm depressed right now.
Jan 4, 2016 11:13 AM
Jan 2016
You guys, i have the habit of listening to music while im reading manga, books and pretty much everything. at the last page that kurumi is depicted with aiba i stopped reading holding back tears, not wanting to see next page for about a minute. i realised at that point Blue oyster club's DONT FEAR THE REAPER was playing... Anyway this manga's ending was perfect for me, im still extremely sad and heavy hearted when i think about it, and overal i'd rate it 9/10 at least(in its kind).
Jan 4, 2016 12:40 PM

Jul 2015
I think this could have been a bit better .I especially liked the romance between the MC and the heroine .I'm not into femdom (not totally at least) but it was refreshing to read .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Mar 5, 2016 12:58 AM
May 2009
This ending made me feel quite angry... I kept hoping for Kurumi to survive...

But, i wonder why everyone keep saying "his" wife, since she has a ring and he doesn't, i found this weird.
Jun 22, 2016 8:50 AM

Dec 2015
Ouch this was saddening. I think the Hideo represented control in Kurumi's life (since she lacked it in other aspects such as health and knowing when she would die). This is why there relationship turned into a S and M one. Its actually beautiful if you really think about it, it seems Hideo was aware of this later on and tried to give Kurumi control over him as much as he could. He was like her security blanket when things got rough. I honestly don't think they had sex at the end, it goes with the theme of stopping just before. The ending with the "wife" shows how much of an effect kurumi chan had on hideo. He has a sexual dysfunction now because he could only get hard to her. She was the one soulmate that he truly loved and if she was alive they would probably have gotten married and lived a normal life, but circumstances did not call for that.

The last line I wasn't sure if the "wife" was offering to do the golden shower OR if Hideo was being more assertive about it and asking seriously. Either way he said it herself she still exists in his fetishes, his thoughts, and currently his sexual dysfunction (which I think he is perfectly ok with, its some sort of fucked up reminder for him that he doesn't want to disappear).

9/10 for truly beatiful in a truly perverted story :O.
Oct 6, 2016 4:42 AM

May 2008
after reading through all 4 pages, and compiling my thoughts with everyone's opinions.

my final conclusion was that:

Kurumi was also an assasin sent like kyokou, reason being her personal doctor was an alumni and the alumni was providing her a place to stay in return for her carrying out her assasination duties on hideo.

as for the end, im leaning more towards the side of they didnt do it, i think she said "lets have sex when i wake up" to get him riled up to carry out his attempt to masturbate for her as she lay on her death bed cause it was obvious once she closed her eyes there, she was never waking up again.
Feb 18, 2017 8:15 AM

Jul 2014
Fuck me.. I knew this was going to destroy me since the "i will never have sex with you" and the hints that the "other" guy was just her Doctor.

And yet here i am...
hana ga saita yo
Feb 25, 2017 12:57 PM

Jan 2016
Well, even though the ending of this was obvious around about two-thirds of the way in I still ended up losing it, cried myself to sleep after staying up all night to finish it. I hate it yet love it at the same time, I'm pretty sure it's meant to be a happy ending but I still felt like shit and depressed.

I don't think Kurumi was an assassin as one of the first things she says to Hideo is that she will never have sex which is the whole purpose of the assassin, she was terminally ill, being looked after she just wanted some joy in her life and ended up improving the life of Hideo and giving him a reason to live on with a happy life, not to forget either, she even improved Kyouko's life. And at the end, I don't think they did do it in the end either as Hideo ended up going on to be a doctor which was his wish for when he graduated from the club by keeping his virginity.

I would say this post on Reddit from a few years back helps clear things up:
https://www.reddit.com/r/manga/comments/298mfo/sundome_spoilers/

In the end, I thought this was great, an emotional rollercoaster, it's by no means perfect but I enjoyed it for what it is.
May 2, 2017 10:04 PM
Nov 2016
A great manga. Sad but honest ending.
Jun 12, 2017 1:07 PM
Mar 2016
guys so i thought it was a time skip then i saw the reply that she died well im now crying, i thought she lived until the end but looking back now on chapter 76 page 23 you see him hold her hand but she has no indication of holding his hand, which i believe is the part where she dies and then the next page (page 24) could be the time skip where its all his dream and that hes still connected.
Apr 10, 2018 2:11 AM

Jan 2018
I didn't like the end, it was so stiff and it looked like it was put there only becuse the manga needs to have some end after all.I don't know ,for me that pulled it down from and 8 and now is just one good manga for me. The strenth of the manga was in it's middle, but at the end and in the begining wasnt so hot.
Sep 16, 2018 1:06 AM

Jan 2018
This manga was really something. Since i started to reading this i was a bit disappointed by art compared with psychological manga from my favourite Shuuzou Oshimi. But after a few chapters i couldn't stop to read. Even that last chapters (71-76) were very tearful and i was expecting bad end. It wasn't like being shocked so much, because since start we have been prepared, that something bad could happen. But... Seeing her on other side of window with those thingies in her nose was very emotional and last chapter was a bit confusing, but there's sure, that female at the very end wasn't her. I don't like sad endings, because after that i am feeling very weak and in tearful mood. Anyway i had really nice moments reading it

My signature is coppied from another forum, because currently i don't have nothing better
AlienWare M17X5 (2013-2016), MSI GT73VR 6RF TITAN PRO (2016-Presence)
Oct 4, 2018 6:02 AM
Sep 2018
Really hate the author who does not make the end clear. Just make the people controversy about the end if she still alive or dead.
Dec 9, 2018 9:26 AM

Feb 2014
lol wtf this ending? =/

I re-read this more than twice and looked like she died

The woman with the MC at the end is a random woman with who he married with. NOTE: She has a mole on her chin (Kurumi didn't have one).

Anyway, i don't really liked the way it ended. It left many things on air and etc. Kurumi dying from a "?" diseased was lame. Felt somewhat rushed as well.

from and 8 to 5 or 6
TechOtakuDec 9, 2018 9:45 AM
Jan 15, 2019 11:43 AM

Jan 2019
Read it throughout the night, could not get enough until... I got punched in the friggin soul.

I didn't cry because of the final scenes or the fact that life went on and it was a life where Hideo was seemingly more mature while a major part of Kurumi lived within his new self. And moreover, he knew it, he wanted it and he loved that feeling.

It was like a very rusty valve for me but because it was 6 AM and I didn't want to cause a disturbance I curled up in my chair and contracted every part of myself and bawled my eyes out, because

I had imagined Kurumi's perspective. She had found genuine, pure love and now as she was slowly dying, what it must feel like to leave behind the person you love most, knowing that it will be so painful for him/her and you can do nothing about it... nothing, you just drift away seeing their face in pain while they struggle to make you happy.
fakc.. TωT ...

From this manga
I gained a new perspective,
feel like I lost the real version of this experience
felt sick to my stomach all day
the probability of having something similar dropped quite sharply as I'm severely confused to what audience this material actually matters because I've yet to meet someone or a variant of my type
and I almost lost myself to my suicidal thoughts had I not promised to go to work today.

PS. I'm pretty sure the scene on the beach was a handjob: 1 hand visible (explicitly showing that 1 hand at so many angles to make it clear for the reader) and no way in hell would the author draw that scene out - perhaps there was a page, a draft in there, showing it, but because it would shit on the final stages he left it out. I think you can simultaneously be in a heartbreaking inescapable anguish while doing something familiar that in essence is just so conflicting to the negative feeling of imminent loss, of someone who makes every part of your body tingle and almost as if it is not a part of you anymore. In that instance, I believe Hideo could get off by just softly rubbing it on her knuckle or even crotch for that matter. I personally feel that if he would've had sex with her, he would've hated himself forever. If I felt the emotions right, it would not happen. You'd just collapse it all to that instance.
Fade_Feb 6, 2019 1:39 PM
Feb 22, 2019 1:11 PM

Jul 2016
I just finished reading this manga and now I'm more depressed. It was an awesome manga but sad. I didn't even sleep to finish this (it's 5 am in the morning now). I was still hoping that Kurumi will live in the end but :'( anyway, I love this manga.
Jun 11, 2019 10:11 AM

Feb 2019
Last time I read this was 5 months ago. It really broke me inside. Damn.

Still depressing every time I remember Sundome fvckk... </3
owkey
Jul 1, 2019 11:28 AM
Apr 2015
Wow, I must say this ending had quite an impact. The reader was being prepared for Kurumi's death by author for at least 4-5 volumes. Sure, somebody may say that the ending felt a bit sudden and her death didn't feel really real - they went to the beach and after the night we got w few years time skip to see Hideo with his wife. There was only mentioned that Kyoko and Katsu are going to get married and nothing about Tatsuya or Ex-president.
We were able to tell that Kurumi is dead only by one frame when Aiba is holding her hand and her fingers were limp. Well, that was a clever way to show how little one death changes in the world.
I must say it was a very unique series and I don't think that I will forget it in the near future
Sep 20, 2019 1:48 PM
Apr 2015
Not a fan of the ending. I don't like it when it's up to the reader's imagination to complete the puzzle. We learnt nothing of who she really was and where she came from, and her death was way stupid. This manga had my laughing hard many, many times but the ending was just disappointing and I felt nothing. Oh well, on to the next manga.
Nov 14, 2019 12:13 AM

May 2015
I just finished binge reading this in one sitting and like i thought at first that girl at the end was her but now that i went over all the replied here im kinda like yup thats not and i kinda have to accept that. Very sad though, I would like the author to have been clearer in the ending. And maybe get a full explanation of her illness. I like the AIDS theory i read here but yeah. Man. That ending like I think its just the part of them putting him with a new girl at the end is what just sours the whole manga for me. If they didnt include that i would have had a overall better feeling towards it. Nice to see a story that isnt afraid of (sad? ) endings. It made me cry regardless though!
My Candies:
Mar 27, 2020 12:11 PM

May 2016
That was a good read. It was waaaay too sexual, there wasn't a need to have that kind of scenes in every chapter... Their relationship would be unafected if you take out of the manga more than half of those scenes. That's the thing holding me back from buying it physicall. Well, that and covid-19.

About the endig, it's cristal clear to me that they didn't had sex. I mean, she told him that she loved him before she got hospitalized. If she was willing to have sex with him, why wait till the moment before the end of her life? (Yep, wrote that on purpose, the sundome of her life)
She wanted it. She said she had a dream about it. There is a reason why they couldn't do it, maybe the promise of never having sex, maybe because she wanted him to go on without her, maybe because she wanted that he can become a doctor with the help of the roman club.

Aiba is scarred for live. But Kurumi made him strong. She wants him to go on. That's maybe why she got himself a... lover? wife? whatever, I re-read the time-skip looking for his ring and couldn't find it. The author did that in purpose, one of Aiba's hands is never shown after the time-skip.

She wants him to go on, and he knows that. Aiba is impotent now, because he only loves Kurumi.
Do you remember what got his little friend up last time he was impotent? Talkin' about pee. What does he ask Ms.Wife (? to do for him? Golden shower. He doesn't really want to have sex with anyone but Sahana, but Aiba knows he has to go on and do it, because that's whar Kurumi wants, for him to be happy.

In the second-to-last panel, I think, Kurumi's spirit touched him or something like that (that's why he opens his eyes and looks in a certain direction), maybe telling him that it's okay that he fucks that woman, because she still exist, and she still loves him.
After all, Kurumi made Aiba grow so strong because she wanted Aiba to be able to live without her.

10/10 for the story, art, and character development. But I've gotta get the total score down to a 7/10, 'cause some of the sexual scenes were plainly disruptive and disgusting.
Apr 3, 2020 1:25 AM

Jan 2019
pelisita1 said:
It was waaaay too sexual, there wasn't a need to have that kind of scenes in every chapter...

Think of it this way that a story is being told of people whose character is exactly that sexual. You can get more out of this manga if you allow yourself to understand/empathise/relate to those parts of them. If you'd not show these scenes you'd change the characters, but you have these specific characters in this story.
Aug 28, 2020 9:28 AM
May 2015
I am still very upset and have had a few tears, even in front of my mum. I love this couple and feel that it's the ultimate tragedy of how her life was cut so short just when she found true love.

I do find a lot of closure in that Aiba loved Kurumi so much to go completely cartoon crazy to keep his promise to her.

Kurumi I don't think it was ever about the sex for her, she just really wanted to feel like she deserved to be loved and her dying in his arms is arguably the most romantic and happy ending for her. She was loved by Aiba and she loved him.

Overall I don't have much to complain about the ending, although it was jarring and it did take me some time to put the pieces together.

And while I personally would've liked to get maybe 2 more chapters of his Aiba's healing process and maybe one more dream of her saying goodbye to him.

This truly is one of the most emotional rides I've been on for a manga, I applaud Kazuto Okada for his love and care he put into crafting such an emotional romance that while I won't say was "one of the best" but arguably one of the most effective.

If there was ever a chance for him to write a spin-off or a sequel that follows Aiba and his pals into adulthood. I would jump at an instant to read.

Thank you especially for creating Kurumi Sahana. I don't think my heart has even been more sorrow-filled for a character in a Manga till Kurumi.
Aug 28, 2020 9:56 AM
May 2015
pelisita1 said:
Aiba is scarred for live. But Kurumi made him strong. She wants him to go on. That's maybe why she got himself a... lover? wife? whatever, I re-read the time-skip looking for his ring and couldn't find it. The author did that in purpose, one of Aiba's hands is never shown after the time-skip.

She wants him to go on, and he knows that. Aiba is impotent now, because he only loves Kurumi.
Do you remember what got his little friend up last time he was impotent? Talkin' about pee. What does he ask Ms.Wife (? to do for him? Golden shower. He doesn't really want to have sex with anyone but Sahana, but Aiba knows he has to go on and do it, because that's whar Kurumi wants, for him to be happy.

In the second-to-last panel, I think, Kurumi's spirit touched him or something like that (that's why he opens his eyes and looks in a certain direction), maybe telling him that it's okay that he fucks that woman, because she still exist, and she still loves him.
After all, Kurumi made Aiba grow so strong because she wanted Aiba to be able to live without her.

10/10 for the story, art, and character development. But I've gotta get the total score down to a 7/10, 'cause some of the sexual scenes were plainly disruptive and disgusting.

I agree completely. This has got to be one of my all-time favourite manga's, but it's not a 10/10 for everything. I did give it an 8 because some of the jokes did land really well and while the sex was really overdone, it was done with my two favourite characters so it made me more attached to reading it for that.

I also agree that "he exists for her" cause she wants him too. I also like to think that in some silly supernatural way (which is what the Roman club was about) her spirit is now following him. I am religious but also think scientifically we might not go anywhere after death, but I think it's an undoubtable fact, that is the effect we leave on people and how we live through them even if we might not be able to see it.

But our presence will always be felt.
Oct 4, 2020 10:52 PM
Oct 2020
Just finished reading this manga a few hours ago (I even took all this time to read comments, haha), and honestly, it'll be one of my favorites for a long time, and I don't think I'll ever forget it. It was really funny, had characters I'll never forget, and made me learn a few things I needed, about myself and about life in general. I want to have it physically, so that way I'll be reminded of those things everytime I see it.
A really inspiring artwork.
Nov 10, 2020 7:13 AM

Aug 2017
Some people seem confused about the ending so here's the explanation :

The ending girl is indeed not Sahana. The author makes it clear that she died on the beach in the previous scene. pelisita1 is right about his theory, Aiba got a job as a doctor thanks to the OB network, a hot wife, but he is impotent because he still loves Sahana and can't forget about her. He asks his wife a golden shower because that's what gave him a boner when he was impotent as a teenager.

Aiba and Sahana didn't have sex on the beach either. They just did their usual masturbation stuff. When they go to sleep, Sahana tells him "When I wake up, let's have sex". She tells him that because she knows she is never gonna wake up. She refused to have sex with Aiba because she knew that if she did, Aiba would be eliminated from the OB network, just like the ex president. Thanks to her, MC gets into a medical school because of the OB club and even becomes a doctor at the same hospital.

The doctor that we see throughout the story is Sahana's personal physician, and is one of the OBs. He is the one that gave Sahana her little own private studio. In return, he asks Sahana to tempt the MC to lose his virginity with her. Even though his goal is for Aiba to get eliminated from the OB network, he also saw that as an opportunity for Sahana to live her life as best as she could before inevitably dying. He supports their relationship during the story. At the end, he's pleased when the MC mans up and takes her out of the hospital.

TLDR ; MC goes from an unconfident unaccomplished loser to a successful doctor stud thanks to Sahana.
Nov 29, 2020 6:42 PM
Nov 2020
When aiba told sahana's personal physician "...when my head starts to hang...if i tighten it here like this...It feels like this part here is being pulled" does that means he tried to hang himself But sahana's "spirit" doesn't let him do it?
Dec 14, 2020 9:19 PM
Nov 2018
since when I started reading this manga, I already predicted that the ending would be something like this, Kurumi🥺
Jan 14, 2021 6:29 PM
Jan 2016
After reading the chapter where they went to that bridge where he got stuck, I was sure it was going to end with her dying. I just didn't know how.
Still made me sad.
Right now I feel like its the best manga I have ever read.
Mar 26, 2021 2:43 AM

Jan 2013
This was probably one of the ugliest manga I've had the displeasure of reading.
Mar 26, 2021 11:31 AM
Aug 2019
This is one of the few manga I find myself spacing out and thinking about time and time again. It's such a beautiful yet fun journey, but definitely not for the normie entry level shounen enthusiasts
Apr 22, 2021 3:05 PM
Apr 2020
My ending conclusion after reading the whole comments on this thread:

She died and the boy just swiping his penis to her vagina. He'll do anything to jack off in any disgust way (he even tried to jerk off with her apartments door), but never broke promises (unless he ignoring her) so they doesnt have sex cos her last command "when i wake up lets have sex". Sundome mean stopped before ejaculating, in here mean she died before having sex. The plankton carcasses sudden explanation at the ending also supporting the dead kurumi theory.

Another thing :
- The girl doesnt have aids (she let him lick her vagina) just unknown sickness
- Hideo also know the oldman were never having sex with kurumi (maybe sometime after working with him) bcause he talk normally with him in the ending (which he was nervous and stuttering before).
- Hideo also not impotent, just hard to getup after all the kinky stuff that kurumi given to him (the girl at the ending said "the work been demanding on(lately)" and "should we try some sex play we've never done before?")

Skeptical stuff i saw in the comments:
- kurumi doing mission for the OB people and to specially train Hideo (strange because oldman doesnt know hideo when he first met him near her apartment)
- the girl in the end is his wife (strange because hideo never wearing any rings but the girl does)
- kurumi's spirit is with him because at the ending he complained about neck stuff (strange because its like he complained that just now, and the oldman also looks like heard it for the first time)
May 2, 2021 6:32 AM
Sep 2018
Gosh this was a ride man I really wanted Kurumi to live but I guess she did die and he is with another woman in the time skip gosh though I mean after all that how does he get with someone else I feel a better ending would of been something like if she did die than maybe the last scene could have been him coming home after work and having a portrait of her or something you know gosh this was sad
May 7, 2021 7:36 PM
Jul 2020
Man I teared up. I tought that she lived and all but alas... Still a great manga but that "happy ending" hurted like hell.
Jun 6, 2021 10:27 PM
Jan 2016
Maybe this complaint seems dumb considering this is an ecchi manga, but after some reflection, the extremely sexual ending of Aiba and Sahana's relationship annoys me. Whether it was necrophilia or a hand job, do you really want to spend the last moments with the one you love getting off? It's honestly just gross and distasteful. They travelled all the way to the ocean to enjoy the wave flowers and then all Aiba wants to do is get his dick wet. The direction that was chosen for their final scene honestly weakened the image of their relationship if anything, reaffirming it as mostly physical.
Epic_MangoJun 6, 2021 10:32 PM
Jun 14, 2021 4:17 PM
Jun 2021
As someone somewhat familiar with medicine, I think a type of Leukemia fits a lot better than AIDS given her symptoms.

Nosebleeds- clotting issues are often seen with Leukemias which could explain this. Wouldn't really see this with AIDS

Fatigue/Fainting- could be due to the anemia that comes with certain Leukemias

Weight loss(Aiba notes her getting lighter near the end)- while it can be seen with AIDS, it's more common with cancers like leukemia

Her age is also right in line with leukemia. While you do see kids with AIDS as a result of transmission from parents, it's less common than this. Both of her parents dying from AIDS as someone suggested in modern day Japan is highly unlikely. Much more likely they passed in some kind of freak accident. Outside the realm of getting it from parents, her getting it sexually transmitted is also less likely. The only indication that she potentially engages in risky, promiscuous behaviour is the clear misunderstanding that she is in a physical relationship with the doctor.

The scene where the doctor is talking about hope being cruel is in line with treatment failure which is more expectant with an aggressive childhood cancer than AIDS, which as someone mentioned before has a really high treatment success rate these days.

Additionally, the pain she's in particularly near the end can be seen with aggressively progressing leukemias due to the cancer cells rapidly multiplying in the bone marrow.

AIDS is not usually definitively terminal like cancer is. While a serious infection can kill any time, a lot of the time if the immune cells get low, they can bounce back with strict treatment. Not so much the case with an aggressive leukemia that has failed chemotherapy.

Finally, AIDS is usually portrayed differently in mangas from what I've seen with symptoms like fevers, coughing with or without blood, and rashes none of which seem to be a huge part of what Kurumi has.

This is just my two cents, however. Of course in actuality, the illness is a vague-anime-illness that doesn't quite fit with any real diagnoses. I don't really blame authors for doing this though, seeing as people will hold you to a magnifying glass if you toss the name of a real life illness in and this way you have creative liberties.
Aug 15, 2021 12:31 AM

Sep 2014
Damn, this ending just broke my soul. And I thought it was gonna be a while until I cried this much again after watching Hotaru no Haka last month. Let alone the fact that the kinkiness of their relationship made it even more heartbreaking in that it showed how deep their bond was.
Aug 25, 2021 3:58 AM
Aug 2021
Don't even know what to say! Jesus christ that extremely depressing. I was not expecting to see Hideo fuck Kurumi's lifeless body, wish she would've been able to make it.
Oct 7, 2021 3:04 PM

Feb 2020
Super sad. I didn't really understand the last chapter on my first read, but on my second I think I get it now. But it makes me wonder... after they had sex what did he do with her corpse??? Like???????
Go read Mysterious Girlfriend X, Ookumo-chan Flashback, and Discommunication RIGHT NOW.
Oct 7, 2021 3:08 PM

Feb 2020
Sugeegus said:
When aiba told sahana's personal physician "...when my head starts to hang...if i tighten it here like this...It feels like this part here is being pulled" does that means he tried to hang himself But sahana's "spirit" doesn't let him do it?

Nope, he's referring to his metaphorical leash held by Kurumi. In one scene in the hospital before she died he mentions "It felt like my collar's leash had been let go..." This is a callback to that, saying that when he feels down, he can feel Kurumi tugging on his "leash" to tell him to keep his head up and keep going.
Go read Mysterious Girlfriend X, Ookumo-chan Flashback, and Discommunication RIGHT NOW.
Oct 29, 2021 10:55 AM
Nov 2008
I got into Ibitsu first before Sundome. Hope I'm not breaking any rules here mentioning Ibitsu.

The last chapter felt abit rushed, but it was a good closure, Ibitsu was quite painful, so Sundome's ending was quite a relief for me.

Okada Kazuto is a master at this genre. I will be moving onto Pansuto next. Will also be checking out other recommendations from the posts in 2011 on page 1.
[/url]
Apr 11, 2022 7:54 PM

Jun 2020
Cancel51 said:
This is my interpretation of the ending of Sundome and what I view as evidence to back my interpretation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I stand on the side of those who have said that they didn't have sex. I believe she was giving him a hand job or perhaps not touching him at all. My reasoning for this was the fact that we never see Kurumi's left hand, only her right. Others have said that they are clearly having sex because both of Hideo's hands are being used to support himself so there is no way he could have been masturbating. Hideo has been known to come at the slightest of stimulation, so even if Kurumi wasn't doing anything to him, he still could have come in that situation.

Some have said that Hideo started having sex with her and then she died, and he kept on going until climax. Others have said that he started having sex with her once she had already been dead. I don't think either of those theories fit the story, or who Hideo was as a person. That just isn't something he would do. Besides, what kind of person has sex with someone who just died and then thinks, "Oh, I'm about to come! Better pull out!" It just doesn't make sense.

Hideo also successfully graduates as a member of the Roman club and is seen working as a resident at the hospital. He wouldn't have been able to do so if he didn't finish high school as a virgin. He never would have been able to work at that hospital if he had quit (lost his virginity) the Roman club because the Director of the hospital, and at least one of the doctors, are Alumni of the club. They wouldn't have let him work at their hospital if he had broken the rule of their club.
I believe that Kurumi was alive at least until page 23. She is being held close by Hideo as they watch the nami no hana together. The sleeping bag has been zipped up a bit and they both seem to be at peace with slight smiles on their faces. If Kurumi had died at any point before page 23, we would expect to at least see tears on Hideo's face, if not anguish and suffering. Kurumi meant the world to Hideo. I refuse to believe that he would simply lie there calmly if she had just dead. Some may say that he must have been in shock at that point, but his expression on page 23 isn't one of shock.

Kurumi then says, "When I wake up, let's have sex". Those are her final words; we know that she doesn't wake up. She chooses those to be her final words in order to let Hideo know that she loved him and would have given herself completely to him had her situation been different. Her illness prevented her from being able/wanting to have sex, be it physically or emotionally, and she made that clear in the beginning of the story. True to her words, they never have sex.
The bit on page 26 about Hideo "tightening" under his neck is clearly a reference to the "collar" that Kurumi put on Hideo. I don't know anything about a shutter reference, but I'm pretty sure he means a collar and he is tugging on a leash. The chapters of Sundome are even called Collars and Hideo himself talks about how he feels his "leash" was let go in chapter 72.
On the last page, there are three consecutive panels of Hideo lying down on the bed.
In the first, we seem him thinking with his eyes closed as he smiles.
In the second panel, we see him open his eyes and glance over to his left hand [which is the hand he used to hold hands with Kurumi as she died]. His smile grows a bit larger.
In the final panel, we see him close his eyes again, put his head down, and rest into his hand and arm. He thinks: "You still exist".

Kurumi is still very much alive inside Hideo, and he realizes this. She completely shaped him as a person and made him grow into the man we see in this epilogue. He went from someone who was invisible, to someone who took action. He started training his body, got his first job, was able to stand up to his classmates, broke someone out of a hospital, and is even on the road to becoming a doctor. All because of Kurumi's influence. He is reminded of this and is able to be honest with himself.

"On second thought... about that golden shower..."

I would say this is pretty spot on interpretation. I had to reread it a couple times, but I think you're right. It was a very sad/happy ending.
Nov 2, 2022 10:58 PM
Aug 2019
thaumx said:
incredibly depressing, but also touching. I don't care for bittersweet endings, but it's better than a tragic end.

I really wish that the mangaka had revealed her illness, but perhaps he didn't want to risk contradicting himself. (he says she has disease X, but she didn't have symptom Y, and X causes Y)

It definitely was NOT HIV/AIDS. The only real evidence for AIDS is her saying she won't have sex with him, and possibly the fact her parents are dead and had passed it on to her. However, the symptoms weren't right for immunodeficiency, they weren't drawn out long enough, and her time of death is pretty pessimistic for the time the story was written. (HIV is nearly considered a "treatable" condition, rather than a terminal one these days.) Also, if she refused sex to avoid infecting him, then she had to be really dumb. They did several things that were more dangerous transmission-wise than sex with a condom. I think she refused because she knew the roman club alum doctor, knew she was going to die, and wanted Hideo to make it through as a virgin.

I'm glad they revealed her relationship with the doctor. Obviously he was her doctor, but it was great that the mangaka showed the doctor finding her as a child. Meaning they had a long term relationship, and a reason for him to become her personal doctor, and care so much about her. (The sudden death of her parents simultaneously also kinda rules out HIV, by the way.) I wonder if the doctor OB who was caring for her is the one who suggested she join the roman club in the first place?

The scene with her and the doctor, midway though, with the hope hurts line... is pretty sad. I'm guessing that's when she found out that it was going to be terminal after all. She got her hopes up because of wanting to be with Hideo, which is sweet, but so sad.

The ending was strange. I re-read the chapter a dozen times. I don't think they had sex. The flashbacks confuse things, as well as the art, so it's hard to say definitively. He said he'll masturbate for her. he was trying to give her some enjoyment, she was very tired. She whispered "let's have sex when I wake up" I'm certain she knew that she wasn't going to wake up, and Hideo likely realised it as well.

his expressions, and the talk about plankton dying in a beautiful way, rather than staying in the sea, indicate he was doing his best to please her at the end. likely he was rubbing against her, she might've started out touching him, but I think she drifted away during the event. Maybe when she saw the sea foam floating above Hideo. (reminiscent of seeing the fireworks in the bathtub.)

I think she passed out, and he finished anyway for her. The way their relationship developed, she turned his pleasure/orgasms into an act for her, not him. It's strange, like a lot of this story, but in that context, it makes sense. His happiness came from pleasing her, and he pleased her by giving her control over his body and orgasms. Right from the beginning, that aspect of their relationship was there, but he grew more and more into it as their relationship progressed. He did a lot of the crazier things to make her happy, rather than for his own direct pleasure. (he was pleased making her happy)

I think him offering to jerk off was to make her feel better, because he could tell she wasn't doing well. I think they knew what was going to happen, her dying, and that it was soon. I think she whispered "lets have sex when I wake up" to help get him aroused so he could do it for her. I don't think he was just being pervy on her deathbed, and was likely very sad, so she encouraged him.

He likely held her afterwards knowing she wouldn't wake up, but maybe a bit happy that she drifted off from a happy place.

I am disappointed though, that the author didn't cover his grief period, or school life, or anything like that at all. it seemed to jarring for him to go from something so traumatic, to about 10 years later. (2 more years of high school, 4 years undergrad college, 3 years med school, and however much time into his residency)

It's nice that she lived on in him. She changed him, and even though she's dead, she lives on in his memories. I think that's what the ending was about. Not that she is literally a spirit following him. He was in the roman club, and learned to hold onto that belief, and hold onto her in his life. The chin being pulled up, is a way to motivate himself, to remember that he's also living on for her. If he feels like life or challenges are tough, remember the strength she gave him to accomplish things, and his reason for continuing. Very touching.

She did leave him with some impotence issues I think, because his sexuality was so strongly tied to her. He was impotent with the wife-type person. (she was wearing a ring, so they are likely married.) He was thinking of Kurumi that day, and it made it difficult for him. His sex is about pleasing her, after all. But then, after mentioning the golden fountain stuff, he thought about her, and thought that she always enjoyed watching him do those things, and thought that it would make her happy. So it wasn't betraying her after all, and so he went after his wife into the shower.

Typing all this out, and thinking through the ending, makes me feel better... sorry for the long post.

I'm not sure if you'll get a notification for this so I apologize if you do, it was years ago for you but I just finished the manga earlier today and it's been on my mind ever since haha. So much so that it's been really messing with my ability to do anything productive, fun, or even eat.

So in wanting to see what other people thought (and also to get some closure) I came here and was skimming through some replies to see if there were any that could help expand my view on the ending. A lot of people, including me at first, thought that Hideo was doing it with Kurumi at the end by the beach but after finishing the chapter I was really struggling to come to the conclusion that that's what really happend. So I went back and tried to come up with what I think most likely happend.

On page 17 in the 2nd box we see a emotionless Kurumi slumped over, probably already feeling the sickness about to take over. As Hideo notices he asks her if she's ok and also in complete seriousness that he can masturbate for her if she wants. Seeing him try to cheer her up she toughs out one last genuine smile and says that they'll do it when she wakes up. And just like you said this had to of been a clue to Hideo that she knew she didn't have much time left. We don't have any information about what happens directly after this sweet moment, instead we are jumped into Hideo appearing to have sex with Kurumi's dead body but that would be completely out of character for him as he absolutely loves Kurumi with a burning passion. He would never do something to break her trust even if she has already passed, he would still want to keep their promise of doing it when she wakes up. He knows that Kurumi has passed though, and so just like you say in your comment I also believe that Hideo is just rubbing himself off on Kurumi. This way he can pleasure her and himself in one last moment by the flower waves, one last moment for him to remember her by. After he finishes he lays next to her and grabs her hand as a final thank you for everything she's done, that he'll always love her.

Seeing Kurumi's hand not move at all almost made me tear up but I held them back haha. Not even the mangas heavy foreshadowing of Kurumis death could stop the feels, it genuinely felt like I had lost a great friend.

Sorry if this comment is kinda all over the place or doesn't make sense in some areas I'm writing this at close to 2 am on a school night. But seriously thank you so much for the amazing comment you wrote. You took alot of the thoughts I had about the manga some great things, some things that I wish were expanded on, and the ehh stuff, and wrote them down beautifully. Your comment has helped me greatly in dealing with the mangas brutally sad ending. Again I'm not sure if you'll get a notification for this or if you're even active anymore but if you do I hope you're doing great! And same for everybody else on this discussion board. Whether your comment is from 5+ years ago or you're 5+ years in the future from when I write this comment I hope you all make the most of and enjoy the beautiful gift that is life. Learn from Aiba and try your hardest, because your loved ones are cheering on for you everyday. Whether they are still on this planet or not, their support, their trust, and of course their memory will live on with you for the rest of your life, so make them proud and stand!!
Jan 11, 2023 12:01 AM

Jul 2022
Of course it is a manga that was beyond my expectations and I love that, I think I have understood the end in the most objective way possible. (since the site where I read it, the comments said a lot of nonsense making things up xd)

I'm glad I read a small part of that review that made me curious about this manga
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» What to read that is similar to Sundome?

Elpato891 - Mar 16, 2018

8 by Toranagii »»
Jun 7, 2023 5:57 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 72 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Jul 8, 2012

4 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:30 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 71 Discussion

3 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:26 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 68 Discussion

Explicitz - May 27, 2011

9 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:10 PM

Poll: » Sundome Chapter 67 Discussion

5 by DZento »»
Jan 10, 2023 11:00 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.