Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2008 7:10 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This case against Reuental has many similarities to what happened with Yang. Rumors which may or may not have basis in reality surface and threaten to take down another top official. I doubt that Reinhard will follow the same path as the alliance though. The investigative work didn't go back far enough but instead stopped at Elfriede. If they were to find out the information Lang received came from a former disgruntled alliance official, the claims would hold less weight.

Should Reuental be found innocent the outcome may be very damaging to Oberstein due to Lang's connections with him. Mittermeyer already suspects and even openly accused Oberstein as being behind the false accusations. Oberstein was very careful when warning Lang to be absolutely certain that his actions would not do something to weaken the government. Even though he stated that he doesn't mind being hated, there has to be a limit to how many enemies he can handle.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Dec 22, 2008 8:17 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
tainteddonut said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This case against Reuental has many similarities to what happened with Yang. Rumors which may or may not have basis in reality surface and threaten to take down another top official. I doubt that Reinhard will follow the same path as the alliance though. The investigative work didn't go back far enough but instead stopped at Elfriede. If they were to find out the information Lang received came from a former disgruntled alliance official, the claims would hold less weight.

Should Reuental be found innocent the outcome may be very damaging to Oberstein due to Lang's connections with him. Mittermeyer already suspects and even openly accused Oberstein as being behind the false accusations. Oberstein was very careful when warning Lang to be absolutely certain that his actions would not do something to weaken the government. Even though he stated that he doesn't mind being hated, there has to be a limit to how many enemies he can handle.

In other words, Oberstein, as of now, hasn't done anything against Reinhard. And seriously, he really looks like he's the bad guy on the surface but really Reinhard's loyal supporter undercover....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 18, 2009 4:07 AM

Dec 2008
I wonder. Why we were reminded that it was Oberstein that prevented Kircheis from carrying a weapon on the day of the assasination attempt if not to imply that he might have been in on it? I guess they could be double bluffing us, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oberstein was responsible for his death.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jan 18, 2010 4:41 AM

Sep 2008
I was surprised to see that they raised this issue of Kircheies' death after such a long time. I remember thinking the same thing back when he died, I felt it was mostly obersteins fault and that's when I started hating him
eyerokJan 18, 2010 8:54 AM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jan 19, 2010 9:51 PM

Jan 2009
I'm confused about Oberstein; he wants to have the Empire running as smoothly as possible, and yet has no problem appearing to be the bad guy? If these charges do backfire on Lang, he'll have a lot to pay for.

I do hope Reuenthal does make it through; if he's out of the picture, Reinhard will be short another great talent amongst his ranks...even though he and Wolfgang did go under Hilde's orders to invade Heinessen the first time. Dammit...
Nov 3, 2010 8:40 AM

Jan 2010
i don't get what's the big deal...so what if Reuental did that?:)

but i'm positive that Reinhard will forgive him,he's not that close minded

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Aug 14, 2011 11:33 AM

Mar 2009
What a plot by Oberstein. I'm sure that Oberstein invited Lang in that meeting only to have him develop a grudge against Reuenthal. He probably knew that an argument between them would be unavoidable, given their characters and that it would end the way it did.

Oberstein ofcourse sees Reuenthal's ambition. He probably figured out that at some time, rumors will arise about it. I believe he just gave Lang the motivation to use these rumors against Reuenthal, by initially calling him to that meeting.

The way Oberstein positioned himself, is that he will not take the fall for it, if Lang will fail to bring Reuenthal down. If that will happen, which most likely will happen, Lang will take the fall instead of Oberstein.

However even if Reuenthal clears his name, the stigma still remains. This is a link that can be used later. But what does Oberstein have to gain by ridding Reuenthal of the picture? I wonder what's his ultimate goal...
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 26, 2011 9:39 PM
Jun 2011
"Mr. Blond Hair and Mr. Red-Head...you have a visitor." Haha...I really liked that for some reason. That was nice insight into the relationship that the 4 of them had...even though MM wasn't there. I guess I wasn't even thinking because I didn't expect Reuental to get in any trouble with Reinhard over the girl, but I guess it doesn't really look that good.
Jan 22, 2012 10:01 PM

Sep 2009
I hope Oberstien explodes in a ball of fire soon.
Apr 2, 2012 10:53 AM

Nov 2009
May 14, 2012 8:12 PM

Feb 2012
Silverhammer said:
I wonder. Why we were reminded that it was Oberstein that prevented Kircheis from carrying a weapon on the day of the assasination attempt if not to imply that he might have been in on it? I guess they could be double bluffing us, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oberstein was responsible for his death.
kodial said:
What a plot by Oberstein. I'm sure that Oberstein invited Lang in that meeting only to have him develop a grudge against Reuenthal. He probably knew that an argument between them would be unavoidable, given their characters and that it would end the way it did.

You guys aren't thinking big enough. All the way back in My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars, when Oberstein said, "the intercept fleet is prepared to launch," he knew those exact words would trigger a chain of events that would lead the galaxy to the exact position that it's in at the end of episode 75.
Aug 4, 2013 9:23 PM

Jun 2013
Oberstein working with Lang??? I hope this is a wise judgment LOL cause it is now officially Oberstein vs. all other admirals with this incident.
Sep 24, 2013 9:29 AM

Nov 2009
So Lang is working for the former Phezzani person . . . Now why would Oberstein be falling for such an obvious trick, he is literally letting himself be used to hurt the empire. Well, whatever. Anyways, shouldn't the other dude that was used (forget his name) have told Reinhard that there was a possibility he had made a rushed decision after realizing that Lang had tricked him, just to use his signature?
Sep 24, 2013 3:33 PM

Jun 2013
Pirating_Ninja said:
So Lang is working for the former Phezzani person . . . Now why would Oberstein be falling for such an obvious trick, he is literally letting himself be used to hurt the empire. Well, whatever. Anyways, shouldn't the other dude that was used (forget his name) have told Reinhard that there was a possibility he had made a rushed decision after realizing that Lang had tricked him, just to use his signature?

I believe Oberstein doesn't care whether it was a trick or not, so long as he could get an opportunity to purge Reuenthal. As you might have noticed, he is not very keen on having Reuenthal (and Mittermeyer as well) holding too much power, as he considers that as contrary to the stability of the Empire.
Apr 23, 2014 8:51 PM

Mar 2013
After this episode I have decided to add Reuenthal to my favorite character list. He displaced Piccolo, which is regrettable, but even as a True DB/DBZ Fan having 5 characters from it on my list was probably a bit much. Reuenthal joins my favorite character from LOGH, namely Magician Yang. This show has such a high Power Level that it may yet get a 3rd character added to my list. The top considerations are Kircheis (even with only 26 episodes), Julian, Schenkopp, Reinhard, and Frederica. Honestly if i had 10 spots for my favorite characters from LOGH that would not be enough. No show I've ever watched has had so many interesting, realistic, and likable characters like Logh. In that respect not even my Eternal Favorite DB/DBZ can trump it.

fedaykin said:

koreye said:
I was surprised to see that they raised this issue of Kircheies' death after such a long time. I remember thinking the same thing back when he died, I felt it was mostly obersteins fault and that's when I started hating him

Whether Oberstein had a hand or was knowledgeable about the assassination is obviously important, but regardless he should have been held accountable and or at the least held in great suspicion indefinitely for his suggestion of preventing Kircheis from carrying a weapon and not getting preferential treatment. The downfall of everything began at the moment and from that decision, and no amount of atonement can forgive that. Obviously Oberstein seems to have no guilt whatsoever from that, so he is doubly damned. Don't get me wrong I like Oberstein and find him very interesting, but he is undoubtedly evil.

kodial said:

Oberstein ofcourse sees Reuenthal's ambition. He probably figured out that at some time, rumors will arise about it. I believe he just gave Lang the motivation to use these rumors against Reuenthal, by initially calling him to that meeting.

An Amazing point, one of the strongest comments I've seen in the LOGH discussion yet. That was one of my favorite scenes in the show, and helped cement my conclusion that Reuenthal had to make my fav list. To think that it was all intentionally set up by Oberstein is brilliant, both on Oberstein's part in the long run for his plot, and by Kodial with his deduction and enlightening us.
SlickDNov 15, 2014 3:52 PM
Aug 9, 2014 5:55 AM

Nov 2013
The great hand of Oberstein has been moving all series. As much as I love Reuenthal, I kinda want to see how it turns out if he DOES get punished. How would Mittermeyer react? How would Reuenthal's vice commanders react? It begs a lot of questions as to how his downfall would play a part in the rise(or fall?) of Reinhard.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Nov 14, 2014 4:34 PM

Mar 2012
Stop showing us scenes with Kircheis dammit, all the feels ;_;
Mar 7, 2015 7:48 AM

Aug 2014
I think that Reuntal shouldn't have been prosecuted like that. The whole thing was kind of pointless.
May 31, 2015 11:46 AM

Jun 2012
Wait did Ruental lie about not knowing that she was pregnant? Damn they brought up Kicheises death again :( damn Oberstein, I know he is important as an advisor but sometimes I just want him dead...
What is the most cowardly and shameful thing in human conduct? It's when people with power and people who flatter them hide in safe places and extol war, force patriotism and self-sacrifice on others, then send them to the battlefield to die. For the sake of peace in the universe, before we continue this fruitless war with the Empire, mustn't we first start by exterminating such evil parasites? - Yang Wenli
Jun 2, 2015 3:28 PM
Nov 2014
Oberstein is grade A jackass lmao, hopefully Reuental won't get punished or shit for this stupid rumour. I wonder if Oberstein might be involved in Kircheis's death too.
Jun 19, 2015 6:35 AM

May 2012
Oh boy that flashback :/ quite nice episode let's see what happens next though.
Jul 16, 2015 7:44 AM

Dec 2013
I enjoyed the little flashback. I still miss Kircheis...
Jun 21, 2016 3:24 PM

Aug 2014
Oh yeah, I forgot that Chuck Norris Bergengrun was a part of Siegfried's fleet before.
For a while now I would keep asking myself "who was he again?", everytime he would appear on screen xD

So not only Reuenthal stuck is dick inside "crazy", he got "crazy" pregnant? I see that he's a man that likes to live life dangerously lol.
Nov 6, 2016 4:44 AM

Aug 2014
Reuental is very interesting, one of the best characters in the show.
I have a bad feeling that he will be gone soon.
Nov 15, 2017 9:42 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Revental can explain the situation in front of the Emperor!!!
Nice flashback!!!
May 14, 2018 12:22 PM
Apr 2018
The case against Reuental is wafer thin. He should be fine,Lang might suffer from it though.

I didn't think the girl would sell him out though.

Oberstein had better be careful. He may have too many enemies soon.

Power standings- no changes here:

1) Empire- Currently distracted with the Reuental case
2) Yang El Facil- Thankfully have been bought time
3) Rubinski- His plotting is going well
4) Earth Cult- No update
5) The Goldenbalm's- No update

MVP- Bergengrun. Nice to see hatred for Oberstein bulding steam.
Oct 29, 2018 3:08 PM
Apr 2018
Uhm, I couldn't help but feel sorry for Reuental "I'm not qualified to be someone's parent". I love that guy.

I have no idea what will happen next: Oberstein seems like the bad guy, there are hints that he had been planning everything from the beginning; also Reuental; the Terraist are around who knows where.
Nov 8, 2018 10:12 PM

Feb 2017
Did we ever learn just how Elfriede made her way to Reuenthal in the first place? Who set her up to that? Just how much of a sleeper agent is she?
Nov 8, 2018 10:47 PM

Jun 2013
eski514 said:
Did we ever learn just how Elfriede made her way to Reuenthal in the first place? Who set her up to that? Just how much of a sleeper agent is she?

I don't think it was ever mentioned, but I can only see two possibilities. One, she plotted the whole thing herself, which is a testament to the depth of her obsession with Reuenthal. Or two, she was "assisted" by Lang in a scheme to implicate Reuenthal. It may even be a combination of both, but we will never know for sure.
Nov 20, 2019 9:42 PM

Oct 2012
Oberstein is wiser than people think he is
But as always people are "angry" at him
I don't know seems like a bad idea if he keep that's happening

Reuntal seems still loyal to Reinhard
But there's something.. like he's hiding something, maybe his own ambition

Either way the stagelight is moved from him to Yang
"Signature removed"
Jan 1, 2020 12:35 PM

Nov 2016
Very interesting and suspensful episode.
The interal conflicts and schemes that are going on are exactly to my liking. Wouldn't surprise me if it was Rubinsky who leaked the rumors. I mean, last episode we had quite the suggestive scene with him and now there's an initiated conflict within the imperial ranks.

Gotta love Oberstein and his resolve tho. He has no problem playing the bad.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 20, 2020 9:59 PM
Jun 2017
Finally an episode with some development of Oberstein's plans.
I'm very worried about him, as his current steps can make him get too many enemies and could risk losing Reinhardt's favour.

I was surprised when I found out that Oberstein's actions led to Kircheis' death. Back then, I didn't trust him and thought he was just no better than a leech, but he has changed a lot in my eyes. Anyway, that was a very regrettable miscalculation from his part.

I have seen that some people have expressed their concerns about Oberstein's degree of responsibility on Kircheis' death, even suggesting that he had something to do with it. I find those claims without base. Although he knew how to profit from the situation, he wouldn't have had any personal profit from it. It's true that he couldn't have been able to advance much with Reinhard as long as Kircheis was still alive, but with his death it was also unlikely for him to reach the degree of closeness that Reinhard and Kircheis had.

Even so, he wouldn't have put Reinhard at such a risky situation, when he even put himself before Reinhard and Ansbach. I would rather said that Kircheis death was the result of a series of unfortunate events, in which Oberstein did have a reasonable amount of responsibility by stripping Kircheis from his arms privilege, though the outcome would have been very much different if they had guards around them. Who had the brilliant idea of letting an enemy lieutenant to come so close to Reinhard without any extra security?

I still don't trust Reuental, and after this episode, I'll trust him even less. We have seen that he is still an ambitious man, and where else could he climb to if not to the throne itself, now that the war is (almost) over?

Oberstein's tactics are very risky for himself. He is no doubt making the decisions that no one else wants to make, for the sake of the Empire. One could even say that Reinhard's political success is exclusively thanks to Oberstein, but I will save that explanation for a later episode. In any way, if Oberstein ever goes missing, it would be a great loss for all of the Empire.
Dec 25, 2020 10:57 AM

Dec 2020
Oberstein's the exact brand of compelling character whose guts I hate with a passion. I remember having an inkling at the time that he had something to do with Kircheis' death - not saying he orchestrated it, but his partial blame is now undeniable. The fact his end-goal still hasn't been explicitly revealed yet also makes me incredibly uneasy. He's the last person from the Empire I'd want to come out on top. And it'd be abhorrent to see Reinhard's trust in him backfire...

Not sure why, but this is the episode that finally made me give in and start liking Reuental a little. The only reason why I didn't particularly hate him before was probably Mittermeyer's commitment to him, and the passionate defense the Gale Wolf gave of his friend was great to see. But that flashback to when Reuental pledged his loyalty to Reinhard was just incredible. It was a testament to how devoted he can be (to Mittermeyer, in this case) and I enjoyed watching him be unambiguously righteous for once. On an unrelated note, I clearly still haven't come to terms with Kircheis being gone, since seeing him alive and by Reinhard's side made me super sad.

All in all, another great episode.
Aug 2, 2021 11:14 AM

Jun 2020
Smh Reuenthal gettin screwed over sum hoe
Sep 16, 2021 4:46 AM

Jul 2016
Avenger-senpai said:
Stop showing us scenes with Kircheis dammit, all the feels ;_;

My thoughts exactly. I want my Kircheis back!
Jun 14, 2022 2:41 PM

Dec 2007
the episode where we are confused, wether oberstein is against reinhard or not.

reunthal loyalty to myrtemier friendship might be stronger than his loyalty to reinhard lol.
that flashback was strong in that feeling.
they are like my favourite buddies in LOGTH lol.
Jul 26, 2022 7:14 AM
Jun 2022
Interesting episode. I’m sure Lang’s document gathered enough evidence to incriminate Oskar, though in the show we only see the part where Reuental is meeting that woman. Great intrigue.

Also, the fox Rubi from Phezzan returns to scheming action. He’s really the series main antagonist, and does a phenomenal job in that Lex Luthor role. His scenes are always compelling and insightful.

Last, but CERTAINLY not least: Paul Von Oberstein. To me, he’s the series second best character after Yang. You may not like his machinations, but you gotta admit he’s damn menacing, cold and one of the series most powerful entities. Also, I don’t really think he’s plotting against the Empire. However, he’s behind most of the shady dealings in that side of the war, maybe even including the death of Kircheis.
Dec 12, 2022 4:11 PM

May 2018
Reuental definitely getting no punishment. On the other hand Lang should get an ass spanking for this...
Jan 24, 2023 11:13 PM

Aug 2018
Reuntal getting something like this dropped on him really is shamefull, his rank and achievements should be a saving exeption for this particular case. Sure he does have a secret lover but that doesn't make him a terrible person and I hope even Reinhard thinks the same way.

Oberstein is being sneaky here but did he really calculate all the possiible outcomes and damages of such situation
Mar 8, 2023 2:30 AM

Jul 2017
I really miss you, kircheis...
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Jun 6, 2023 3:29 PM

Feb 2012
2023 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 6, 2023 8:50 AM

Aug 2020
Reuenthal's behaviour being rewarded in the worst time possible. I hope Reinhardt will consider his point. I bet he will...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.