Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 29, 2011 6:56 AM
Jul 2018
I was sad to see the Shinsengumi 'disperse' like that.
I cried at the end ;w; I wished it strayed from the history, not to say it hasn't yet, but hoping to see a family for Chizuru and Hijikata. x3
& OKITTAAA.. TAT
I thought Kazama would've won. 0w0
Chizuru.. sometimes I wish she was in more in touch with feelings in a way.. I mean, there were times I would've gone, "Oh,you [guys]~<3" but Chizuru's all nonchalant.
Feb 3, 2011 8:38 AM

Feb 2010
The way Kazama died was too easy. And I kinda hated Hijikata for some seconds there.

Even though it's kinda predictable, Hijikata dying was really sad. But I liked how Kazama acknowledged him as an oni before he died. It's what Hijikata's been trying to prove to him, right?

Black_wind said:

We haven´t seen Saitou and Shinpachi die because they were the only ones who lived till 1915 and died as an old dudes.

I loved this season.

Oh really? Now maybe hoping for romance between Saitou and Chizuru for 3rd season? Nahh, I doubt something like that would ever happen. It has the "the end" feeling. =___=
mingling with each other are the flames of red and blue
Feb 3, 2011 11:08 AM

Aug 2009
When Chizuru went Hijikata-san, Hijikata-san, Hijikata-san... I thought ''Oh great, another Orihime; she's such an utterly useless and annoying main character. Overall, this series was a disappointment, it tried to cover so many different genres and, naturally, failed.
Feb 10, 2011 12:28 AM
May 2008
Wow. I don't think I have ever cried so much because of something I watched. This was a bam bam bam...everyones falling... Very well done though. and the music just added to everything. WHY WHY WHY did hijikata-san have to die? He was suppose to live happily ever after with chizuru!! T_T I'm sitting here and I'm still crying. :(
Feb 24, 2011 2:34 PM
Jan 2010
Did they really have to die in the end??? At least Hijikata-san could have been saved... After all, he did drink Chizuru's blood, didn't he??? Will there be season 3??? I'd sure be happy to see Hijikata and Chizuru in a happy ever after ;)
Mar 7, 2011 1:53 AM

Jan 2011
man, intensely sad...though i gues its to be expected sinse the story revolves around the loosing side. If only they'd left Hijikata and Saito alive!
Apr 9, 2011 4:30 PM

Nov 2008
Even when I was so bored with this anime and just wanted to finish it, Even when I hated Chizuru with a passion.
I still felt so bad for her and Hijikata so WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST GAVE THEM A HAPPY ENDING? OR AT LEAST DID THE GOOD ENDING AND LET THEM HAVE BABIES OR SOMETHING (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
THEY REALLY DESERVED IT ; ^ ;

Oh god It "rained" so hard during the ending credit, Seeing everybody happy and together....
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
No matter how much I dislike her Chizuru sure needed a hug.
I'm never watching a tragedy ever again ;w;

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEN
May 5, 2011 10:29 PM
Jan 2011
*Hmm, let's confirm all major Shinsengumi character deaths of this season.

Kondou - Beheaded

Sannan - Turned to dust

Harada - Fatally wounded in battle against resatsu.

Heisuke - Turned to dust

*Open-ended deaths:

Saitou - Last seen charging into battle, possibility that he lived on exists. If following historical facts, he lives on till 1915.

Okita - Last seen intercepting a wave of enemies who are attempting to take Hijikata's life. Most likely he has succumbed to tuberculosis and injuries sustained in said battle.

Hijikata - Last seen seemingly lifeless in Yukimura's lap. Most signs in the final scenes point to his death.

*What the heck happened to him?

Shinpachi - Seriously, he just vanished from the story. In any case, if the show does follow the historical plot, then he lives on.

*Deaths I actually cared about.

Harada - He died like a badass.

Saitou - I refuse to acknowledge his death.

Okita - Similar to Harada's scenario.

*Deaths that should have happened.

Yukimura - Completely useless. As stated by another poster, she was only good at serving tea.

~The series wasn't bad: just a bit jumbled together. Nonetheless, it was still enjoyable. Overall rating 7/10
May 17, 2011 1:04 PM

Oct 2008
Curzec said:
Kazama died far too easy.
"I now acknowledge you as an Oni"
"Let's finish this"
*DASH STAB*
*Kazama drops dead*

Well... everyone but Chizuru died... overkill much? Or is she just a magnet of death?

True! and I hated that! Kazama shouldn't be dead but i'm glad and extremely happy that Hijikata died so Chizuru wouldn't be happy the rest of her life =_=

What a bad bad baaad Anime, I really didn't like this season
Jun 3, 2011 8:35 AM

Sep 2010
Am I the only one who actually likes Chizuru? Sure she didn't do anything, but I thought she was neat character.

Is it bad that none of the deaths in this series made me cry at all? I do admit to almost tearing up at the end of this episode, but no where near crying. I thought the first season was better. This season was all eyecandy and a random slaughter of a character almost every episode. The deaths happened one after another that I just couldn't cry. Also the lack of emotional final dialogues between characters.

6/10 for this season mostly for the Hiji/Chizu moment where they kissed and of course the eyecandy. xD

Another Visual Novel that had an average series I am not really surprised there. Nothing astounding, but it is a good watch to pass time or add another series to the compete list. Its not a total waste of time the series could have been better if it had one whole season with at least 24~26 episodes. Instead of making a half-assed second season. Oh well this is Deen after all.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 31, 2011 9:26 AM

Dec 2009
The ending was so sad TwT all the bishies are dead ... and useless Chizuru is alive >_> , still, I feel kind of bad for her ...
I'll give this season an 8/10 fore the eye-candy, lovely OP and tsundere Toshi-chan XDDDD.
Sep 5, 2011 3:35 AM

Nov 2007
Im really torn on what score will I give this anime.. I mean, i really loved it, but there are a lot of let downs in the story.. *sigh!
But, in the end.. I gave it a 10.. I gave up with my feelings about it.. Ahahaha.

~ i read some of the comments here, i see.. they all hated/don't like Chizuru.. Well, I don't feel the same way, but i guess until the end, I was hoping She could do something big, but too bad, nothing happened. She's more like a supporting character. A narrator, A recorder? She seems like that to me.. I mean, She's like she existed there to tell the Stories of My BELOVED shinsengumi..

As for my Beloved Shinsengumi..
Too bad, they all died.. :'(
I was curious about Shinpachi and Saitou's death too. they just narrated it, ne?
Argh! OKITA!!!!!!!!! SAITOU!!!!!!!!! TOSHI!!!!!!!!!!!
Argh! All of them are loveable~ Kyaaaa! Can't even drop one of them.. :DD

I guess~ The main reason why I loved this Anime and gave it a 10 even though it doesn't really deserve it is because of the Characters only. Shinsengumi, that is.

~ so there. I just wanted to say this. *sigh. No matter what, I wanted to rant about it! Its is a tragic. but i liked the way it is..

Now i can finally say, Ive finished it! :DDDD
Nov 11, 2011 12:16 AM
Aug 2009
This whole season was depressing. Everyone left/died. Ughh
Nov 30, 2011 2:29 PM

Apr 2008
Meiji Revolution happened after all, so we had to go through the 2nd Season of the Old Bakufu just doing terrible ><;

Hiji fell off his horse as expected.

He looked very pretty at the end...
Feb 29, 2012 2:38 PM

Jan 2011
Mecko said:
This whole season was depressing. Everyone left/died. Ughh

I agree with you. I couldn't stop crying when Souji died (I was hoping that he could recover his illness) and when Hajime left. And it made me very angry that Chikage died. I like Chikage, Kyuujuu and Kyou.
But I didn't understand, did Hajime and Sanosuke die? I hope not, I love them, they're my favorite Shinsengumis.
Also, Chizuru staying alive. She's so useless and annoying! I hope she dies!
AngelAngelaFeb 29, 2012 2:45 PM
Mar 22, 2012 6:32 AM
Mar 2012
I just finished it and thought it was a really good anime but that ending...... =_=
I really hope in the 2-pt movie thats supposed to come out in the next year, that they tie up some loose ends and not just leave us with such a depressing ending. At this point, I actually don't even know what they could do since EVERYBODY died in the the end, except for Chizuru! Can someone please explain to me why she was so useless?? (And why she didn't have any sort of special ability or enhanced power because she was a female oni?)
Agggghhhhhhh! So many questions! :(
Jun 8, 2012 10:44 PM

Jun 2008
So I recently finished playing the game and finished all the routes THEN found out there was an anime!!! :D Went ballistic and started watching them ALL!!!

Very impressed with the way they decided to go about it. We basically got to see each of the men's routes, what was going on, and what they were each doing during the war, with or without Chizuru there. Especially nice for me because the whole time playing the game I had to piece my memories together with each man I sought after. The game only allows you to see through Chizuru's eyes so if she's not there, you don't know what's going on with the other men unless you somehow hear it in passing. A lot of "so THAT'S what happened moments". :x

I felt the anime did a great job incorporating all the different routes in this show. Nearly every awesome CG scene (barring certain route specific romantic ones) got incorporated into the show too. I loved that.

BUT THIS EPISODE THREW ME FOR SUCH A LOOP. They were going down Hijikata's path completely by the second season and then suddenly did a 180 last minute and dove into her normal ending. WTFFFFF!!!! I was 100% NOT EXPECTING THIS. I kept waiting and I was really looking forward to Hijikata's ending and then I get EVERYONE IS GONE. POW NORMAL ENDING. (;`皿´) GRRRRRR I feel super unsettled.

No way around it. No disillusionment for myself. He's dead. ;A; They purposely gave him that standing pose spirit and topped it off with panning out to white & distant sounding "Chizuru" to imply death in my opinion. He prolly turned to dust while the camera moved away. ;A;

Minus fantasy elements the series did follow the general schematics as far as all the historical aspects and turning points for each of the characters pretty faithfully. Honestly, it would have been cheap if he lived. Historically Hijikata died from that specific bullet wound. If he ended up living past the war and went on with his life it would have felt really fake since they tried so hard to coincide all the events with the actual history. But a part of me still WANT the LIES!!! T____T

UGGHH. I'm done here. Onto the OVAs and sweet school life yo. /sniffle
Jul 6, 2012 9:58 PM

Nov 2009
so that was predictable. i actually enjoyed the last episode after resenting the last 21 episodes. i had actually expected a lot more out of hakuouki, and honestly this wasnt very shoujo-y at all, which is what i had signed on for. never thought i'd say this but vampire knight was a better story and yuuki wasn't as useless of a heroine as chizuru was. damn.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2012 11:44 AM

Oct 2011
Is Hijikata a pedo? "I love a girls that probably isn't even 16."
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Aug 9, 2012 3:13 AM

Feb 2011
Ugh, okay, wow. First of all, I know we can all have our opinions, but I wish people would stop calling Chizuru useless. SHE'S NOT USELESS. Allow me to link you to this post made by a friend of mine on tumblr: http://ochimizu.tumblr.com/post/28602811211/chizuru-yukimura-not-as-useless-as-everyone-likes-to

Read it please (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

And now that that's settled...

SCREAMING, CRYING, AGH. THAT WAS... I DON'T EVEN HAVE THE PROPER WORDS TO DESCRIBE WHAT THAT WAS.

I was literally clutching my blanket and biting my nails the whole episode. AND THEN DAT ENDING. SOBS NOOOO

I actually didn't cry all that much (I cried alot more at the end of episode 7 when Saito ran into battle, omg;;) but damn, there WERE legit tears streaming down my face. I can honestly say Hakuoki has been the first anime to make me cry, EVER.

I guess Hijikata's dead... ;~; I actually finished his route in the game a few days ago, but I got the good ending, of course. ;; WHERE HE DOESN'T DIE. SIGHS. HIJIKATA. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER. AHH.

So, my take on what happened to the Shinsengumi guys in the anime:

Yep, so that's it. Uh. (●´∀`●;;) I hate this anime. But I love it. So much. That is all.

(Now onto the OVA's, and then Reimeiroku ♥)
Aug 12, 2012 9:51 PM

Jan 2012
If you know anything about Japanese history, you know that they were on the Bafuku side, which mines they all die at the end. ... I don't know this anime never came together in a coherent way for me. It was missing something and seem disjointed. One of the things is that the characters had a flat affect throughout the series. Oh yeah, they all desided to take a majic potion that was going to kill them all. Shit... *palmface* You know if everybody is going to die, they should have at least made it more of a surprise... You can probably ignore everything I'm writting. Its not that I hated it, but I just didn't like it either.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2012 1:58 AM

Mar 2009
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!! nooooo!!!

I'm deeply in DENIAL!!! whatever! i'l just imagine my own ending..sounds miserable..

WHYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!???? Doshite!!!???

...what the heck! i didn't see him turn toash..hopefully he lived and got chizuru pregnant!! weeeee!! happy ending for the both of them!!!

>>>they are really going to my "all time fave couples list!!!<<< defintely!! daisuki toshizou hijikata!!!
Oct 2, 2012 6:00 AM

Jan 2012
And so it ends. Well, the ending was great ofcourse, but also incredibly sad since all Shinsengumi died. The final fight was rather good though.

Oct 3, 2012 6:27 PM

May 2012
So Hijikata died too... **sigh**
Dec 30, 2012 9:29 AM

Mar 2011
To those who keep on asking why he didn't turn to ash, well, a fury will turn into ash IF their life force was already spent 'til the last bit. In Hijikata's condition, he died because of the loss of blood (as a human), from the gunshot that he got.

Anyway, that ending was the normal ending in the game (well not really since it's a mix of Hijikata route and normal route. But Kazama is already dead too, so I wonder what will happen to Chizuru. Maybe it's better to call it the anime ending. lol), but I was expecting Hijikata to live in the anime. Really sad. D:
reiko_Dec 30, 2012 9:36 AM
Jan 23, 2013 7:09 AM
Jan 2013
are u kidding me?! that's end? geez... i was hope it'll be better end. happier... or maby next season? yeah, i know - some anime is better to not continue, but... i wanna see 3rd season of hakuoki. with shijikata alive ;d
Feb 3, 2013 1:12 PM

May 2009
Letoa said:
are u kidding me?! that's end? geez... i was hope it'll be better end. happier... or maby next season? yeah, i know - some anime is better to not continue, but... i wanna see 3rd season of hakuoki. with shijikata alive ;d

There is a third season but it is a prequel of the first. I don't think they are going to continue with where this season left off seeing as everyone is dead and they were trying to follow the actual historical events.
Apr 28, 2013 4:47 PM

Sep 2012
What a terrible ending.
May 24, 2013 7:37 PM

Sep 2012
LeeNoriega said:
Well, it's kinda an open ending with Hijikata in the end and all. Though I tend to think he died.

Being a big fan of the game, I can't help but think they've done a marvelous work on the second season and the last episode was just wow.

And the last scene under the sakura tree has to be one of the most beautiful scenes in anime history.

It made me seriously cry though.

i agree with you. i don't know why everyone thinks Hijikata died. the end is left pretty open. i finished these beautiful series with thoughts of Hijikata being alive and stayed with Chizuru.
anyway, after rewatching it, all Hakuouki series are one of the best for me. i'm simply enchanted with everything about it. and the last scene under sakura is one of the most beautiful scenes in anime history indeed.
more than 10/10 for me!!
私の力はあなたの理解を超えています
Jun 25, 2013 5:01 PM
Apr 2013
ALL of them died! It's too horrible. T^T

And we never saw the outcome of the war... Gosh I absolutely hate these kind of endings. Why is it so popular to kill the main characters off? It's a freaking trend to kill main characters off!
Jul 8, 2013 2:52 AM
Jul 2018

ALL I CAN HEAR IS HIJIKATA-SAN, HIJIKATA-SAN. -____-
Pretty good ending. I'm sure Hijikata died.
Jul 21, 2013 2:41 AM

Apr 2010
Good thing they all died, can't imagine someone keeping up with Chizuru.

I'm glad it's over. Chizuru was useless till the end, all she did was serve tea, and stick her nose where it doesn't belong.
Sep 28, 2013 7:47 AM

Jul 2008
srsly ppl it was left open why is it that everyone wants to kill him off when the creator didnt
After I Crush Your Dreams......
Your Bones Will Follow......
Nov 18, 2013 8:02 PM

Feb 2011
aoimizuno said:
So I recently finished playing the game and finished all the routes THEN found out there was an anime!!! :D Went ballistic and started watching them ALL!!!

Very impressed with the way they decided to go about it. We basically got to see each of the men's routes, what was going on, and what they were each doing during the war, with or without Chizuru there. Especially nice for me because the whole time playing the game I had to piece my memories together with each man I sought after. The game only allows you to see through Chizuru's eyes so if she's not there, you don't know what's going on with the other men unless you somehow hear it in passing. A lot of "so THAT'S what happened moments". :x

I felt the anime did a great job incorporating all the different routes in this show. Nearly every awesome CG scene (barring certain route specific romantic ones) got incorporated into the show too. I loved that.

BUT THIS EPISODE THREW ME FOR SUCH A LOOP. They were going down Hijikata's path completely by the second season and then suddenly did a 180 last minute and dove into her normal ending. WTFFFFF!!!! I was 100% NOT EXPECTING THIS. I kept waiting and I was really looking forward to Hijikata's ending and then I get EVERYONE IS GONE. POW NORMAL ENDING. (;`皿´) GRRRRRR I feel super unsettled...

Yeah, I was very impressed on how well this was adapted, but the ending threw me too. In retrospect, it does make the most sense if he really did die, but after so much heartbreak it would have been a nice little flicker of light to see at the end of a long dark tunnel. And...

But this is definitely up there on my saddest things I've ever watched list. I was holding it together, started to get the burn in my eyes during Hijikata's last big monologue, but still good. Then the whole flashback thing with all the guys started and I lost it. By the time Yamazaki came on all bets were off.

Overall, I was impressed.

Also, chalk me up as another in denial Saito fan. <_<
NikokoNov 18, 2013 8:06 PM
Jan 3, 2014 1:05 AM

Aug 2013
Much sadder and tragic than the first season. Lots more character development. It was hard to watch, but season 2 definitely better than season 1. Good anime >,<

To all you suckers pissed at the ending, it's a tragedy. It wasn't as obvious in season 1, the surprisingly amount of bitter events happening pissed me off, cause me not knowing what to expect, but once you see the Shinsengumi's fruitless struggle in season 2, you know it's gonna become a tragedy, and naturally I braced myself for it.
Jan 18, 2014 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
AGREED. Season 2 was much better than season 1 in all aspects. Though it's not very popular in retrospect, it's one of my favorite animes.

As for the endless tragedies where the most of the Shinsengumi died, yeah I expected it realistically and considering it was history, but it doesn't change the fact that it pissed me off and made me sad when the guys died, because it's still anime (which is almost always fiction)!
Apr 17, 2014 7:39 PM

Jul 2012
I really loved this episode. Wow, the romance scenes really surprised me mostly because of the rushed romance in the last few eps lolol and even though, it wasn't really developed well, I still thought "Dayum. That hug. That kiss. Wow."

Anyway, overall the entire series...Well the first few episodes of S1 (before they introduced the whole supernatural/demon aspect) were absolutely wonderful. The action was great, the ideas too, the characters were introduced well. Then supernatural aspect kind of ruined it IMO.

It was a rushed show overall. I think I caught the main parts but the problem was the overdose of historical names, the behind-the-scenes parts and the complicated plot being condensed into only 22 episodes. I could not catch all of the little things like why they were fighting whoever, what the purpose of Papa Chizuru.

I have a few other things to discuss but it would take too long to type so, the last issue I have with this show is the main heroine. See, I really don't give a shit when otome heroines are just dolls for the males to lust over, but Hakuouki is a bit different. There's an actual plot, action, complicated things going on...And she was mostly just standing there, making tea... Really, she's practically immortal, owns a sword, has all the time in the world yet she can't learn any decent skills.

First season: 7/10, simply for the great beginning episodes. Second season: 6/10

TLDR; Liked this series, but it was too rushed, heroine not written well, supernatural aspect ruined realism, but overall, really cool ideas and amazing action. Gonna watch the movies when they come out online.

aelove said:
never thought i'd say this but vampire knight was a better story and yuuki wasn't as useless of a heroine as chizuru was. damn.

LOL no
MayukaApr 17, 2014 7:43 PM
May 29, 2014 1:13 PM

Jan 2010
Is "Hijikata-san" or "tea" or "people's name" all Chizuru can say? God she should have died. Hate it when the useless characters are the one who gets to live. Fkng Chizuru.
May 29, 2014 8:38 PM

Jul 2012
Menatsu said:
Is "Hijikata-san" or "tea" or "people's name" all Chizuru can say? God she should have died. Hate it when the useless characters are the one who gets to live. Fkng Chizuru.

+1 Preach. (lol)
Jun 14, 2014 11:12 PM

Dec 2012
Although it felt like they started cutting corners with the battles/story, I adore the romantic development finally blooming. The big cherry blossom tree was gorgeous and I like how Chizuru made reference to her first impression of Toshi. That final duel with Kazama was extremely intense but also very beautiful with the cherry blossoms in the background.

The end felt a bit expected given the story's direction, but it still tugged at my heart regardless. All of the emotions overflowed when it flashed back to each Shinsengumi member. I sincerely doubt Toshi survived, it just doesn't make sense at this point given his ideology and the outcome of the war. I'm not bothered by the lack of closure on the battle / big picture either, since it's heavily implied that Ezo was overrun and the age of the Shinsengumi + other factions was finally over.

Concerning this season overall, I felt like it was a step up from season 1. The story was more focused and didn't feel scatterbrained. I think the strongest aspect was the thematic changing of the times which led to the inevitable downfall of the old guard. It was extremely tragic to watch each bishounen sacrifice himself in battle, only to realize that their deaths weren't preserving the Shinsengumi or the old era but only delaying its demise. The realistic nature of this group of men being driven apart by a losing battle is something that I rarely see in anime now.

I feel as though the Rasetsu story was completely unnecessary and it ended up serving as little more than a random vampire story. They started touching up on it a bit but then kept stopping halfway, such as Chizuru being a demon but her only function as one ended up being a blood bank for Toshi. Or the different demon clans and their ambitions were left vague. Also gotta wonder what happened to Sen-chan. "I'm your friend Chizuru" boink gone. I really feel like that was just jammed in to appeal to the fact that taboo vampire love stories are popular among girls.

But with that said, I now go to the most controversial topic - Chizuru. Honestly this season she redeemed herself a bit. For the most part she was still a hindrance and was lacking as a heroine, but I wouldn't call her completely useless. When she spoke her mind, she actually offered insight to some of the guys such as Toshi and Saitou. As a result, she would indirectly influence the outcomes of some of their decisions. It really showed how close she had gotten to the guys of the Shinsengumi to go from a hostage to someone they respected and listened to. I just wish she had more of a personality and wasn't a cowering damsel in distress.

7.5/10, not sure which way I want to round up because despite how compelling this season was overall, the Rasetsu sub-plot was underwhelming.
Mar 24, 2015 4:38 AM

Apr 2010
The end of this series simply breaks my heart..
I seriously need a sequal.. I can't stop being depressed over it 😢
NeilyMar 24, 2015 12:28 PM
2dh7dzm.png
Mar 24, 2015 7:14 PM
Nov 2014
mayukachan said:
I really loved this episode. Wow, the romance scenes really surprised me mostly because of the rushed romance in the last few eps lolol and even though, it wasn't really developed well, I still thought "Dayum. That hug. That kiss. Wow."

Anyway, overall the entire series...Well the first few episodes of S1 (before they introduced the whole supernatural/demon aspect) were absolutely wonderful. The action was great, the ideas too, the characters were introduced well. Then supernatural aspect kind of ruined it IMO.

It was a rushed show overall. I think I caught the main parts but the problem was the overdose of historical names, the behind-the-scenes parts and the complicated plot being condensed into only 22 episodes. I could not catch all of the little things like why they were fighting whoever, what the purpose of Papa Chizuru.

I have a few other things to discuss but it would take too long to type so, the last issue I have with this show is the main heroine. See, I really don't give a shit when otome heroines are just dolls for the males to lust over, but Hakuouki is a bit different. There's an actual plot, action, complicated things going on...And she was mostly just standing there, making tea... Really, she's practically immortal, owns a sword, has all the time in the world yet she can't learn any decent skills.

First season: 7/10, simply for the great beginning episodes. Second season: 6/10

TLDR; Liked this series, but it was too rushed, heroine not written well, supernatural aspect ruined realism, but overall, really cool ideas and amazing action. Gonna watch the movies when they come out online.

aelove said:
never thought i'd say this but vampire knight was a better story and yuuki wasn't as useless of a heroine as chizuru was. damn.

LOL no

pretty much my thoughts exactly. the battles were rushed - i could not keep up with who the Shinsengumi were fighting and why. consequently when the main characters died there was a lack of emotional impact for me. i don't have an issue with the supernatural element, if it had been done well, but it seemed out of place with a story based on real events. i really loved the first 6 episodes of season 1, but then it began to lag, and this season was a bit melodramatic at times with all the deaths and Chizuru doing the doe eye servant thing. the budding romance between her and Hijikata, i think i would have found it more satisfying if she had committed suicide after he had gone; it would have shown real character and passion, something she desperately lacked. she was the most pitiful heroine i have ever seen in anime to date.

i wonder who her real father was?
Apr 29, 2015 4:00 PM

Oct 2013
I didn't like the heroine. I kept WAITING for her to use her powers or actually attempt to defend herself and she did NOTHING. It's true if she had been a human it wouldn't have changed the main story at all.

I would have enjoyed the series more if everything would have been visualized and left nothing ambiguous.
May 15, 2015 8:32 PM

Feb 2012
That fight with Kazama was VERY anti-climatic. If it was that easy to kill him off, might as well do it sooner than wait til the last episode of the series.

Also, I'm disappointed that they didn't show what happened to Shinpa and Saito. They were one of my favorite characters along side, Harada.

They also might as well kill Chizuru since she's the most useless heroine ever. I was so frustrated with her throughout the series. She can't effin fight even though she has a sword with her 24/7. She's always the damsel in distress. So annoying. The only "support" she's been giving the guys was through serving tea.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Sep 26, 2015 11:32 AM
Sep 2015
i would like to say that he doesn't die
they just don't let you know but in the movie they show you that he lives
that bit at the end where they are all in the sky, that was just their shinsengumi life ending and a new one beginning
Oct 7, 2015 11:00 AM
Nov 2008
I don't get it. They followed the game well but decided to end it like /that/ ? Trying to leave it open for interpretation?

Anyway, Hijikata didn't die at the end, if anyone's wondering.
Dec 26, 2015 8:33 AM
Dec 2015
What the.....!!! They even seriously killed off the only male left!!! What the hell is wrong with the producers!!! Although I still hope for a chance that Hijikata-san is still alive....
Chizuru was the worst heroine ever! Even if she was human it wouldn't change anything except that everyone around her would have died much sooner.
However,This series made me cry..... a lot. :'(
ChocoFairyDec 26, 2015 8:41 AM
Jan 13, 2016 12:31 PM
Jan 2016
Y did they have die :(
Im ganna cry again!
Jan 23, 2016 10:21 PM
Jan 2016
Oh. My. God. I can't stop crying. Everyone died. Chizaru is all alone under a cherry blossom tree with everyone she ever cared about dead. I can't. This anime had a horrible ending, especially after Hijikata San said he had something to live for, and they finally were in love, and he just goes and dies. Why. Why producers. Your anime ending sucks. You killed all of your fabulous creations, I hope you're happy now.

I really liked those Shensengumi guys. They were amazing people, which is why it was so painful when they threw their lives away. After watching this it makes you realize just how precious life is! <3 Anybody else need another box of tissues?
May 16, 2016 5:05 PM

May 2013
Aw, bittersweet :(
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why didn't Chizuru... (spoilers)

AriAkiko - May 8, 2011

12 by Kana-Cucumber »»
Aug 22, 2021 10:03 AM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 14, 2010

61 by justduckyxx »»
May 27, 2018 10:18 AM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Nov 21, 2010

56 by SenChen »»
Sep 22, 2017 2:30 PM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 3, 2010

100 by MelMelMel »»
May 11, 2017 11:33 PM

Poll: » Hakuouki Hekketsuroku Episode 9 Discussion

tsubasalover - Nov 28, 2010

49 by Zahra-chan »»
Jun 2, 2016 11:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.