Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2010 4:17 PM

Aug 2010
So I was reading up on Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth on MAL. However, on other websites, there is talk about Death True, Death True^2, Revival of Evangelion, etc.

I tried doing some basic searches on MAL but came up with nothing. Can someone, without spoiling the series (it's on my watch list, but I have yet to watch it), please tell me the differences between all these names?
Dec 5, 2010 6:00 PM

Feb 2005
They're all merely slight edits of the same old compilation movie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revival_of_Evangelion#Revival_of_Evangelion
Dec 5, 2010 6:24 PM

Aug 2010
So Death is the "original", if you will. Death (true) is the remake of Death. Death (true)^2 is Death (true)^2 with a deleted scene, and Revival of Evangelion is Death (true)^2 with the movie "The End of Evangelion".

Is Rebirth included in any of these titles? Meaning if I were to watch Revival of Evangelion, would I see Rebirth as well?
Dec 5, 2010 10:28 PM

Jun 2009
There are no remakes. Death is how the movie was originally screened in theatres, Death (true) was a first edited version of the movie with some deleted scenes and Death (true)^2 is the revival version, with some of the previous deleted scenes re-added.
Note that all the deleted scenes are contained in the "renewal" version of the TV series. In the Italian re-edition of the Renewal DVD's there is the option for the last episodes (the ones with the new scenes) to choose the "on AIR" version or the Director's cut with the new scenes added from the movie.
The "Rebirth" part is the final 27 minutes of the original Evangelion: Death and Rebirth AND the first 27 ones of The End of Evangelion.
Since the Revival edition is composed by the 2 movies merged together, they didn't put the same thing 2 times consecutively, but there is always the "rebirth" part as beginning of the second movie. Italian DVD's are labeled: first one "Death(true)²" and second one "Air / Magokoro Wo Kimi Ni"
So if you watch the revival you aren't missing anything. If you want to judge the movies, just keep in mind that the first movie is not just a recap of the tv series but also has those 27 minutes of "Rebirth" new content.
EleisonDec 5, 2010 10:33 PM
Dec 5, 2010 11:43 PM

Aug 2010
Thanks!

More topics from this board

» Is there a difference between this and death (true)

aotperson4 - Dec 18, 2022

3 by cloudtheclow »»
Mar 20, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth Episode 1 Discussion

aero - Oct 23, 2008

39 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 6, 10:01 AM

Poll: » Why is this film not listed as having two "episodes"?

vigorousjammer - May 25, 2014

7 by ChangeLeopardon »»
Oct 6, 2021 12:39 AM

» Watching the movies instead of the series?

Pietru - Jun 10, 2013

21 by Khunime »»
Aug 16, 2021 8:06 PM

» Is Neon Genesis Death and Rebirth same as True2

DillonA - Dec 23, 2019

4 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Dec 24, 2019 2:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.