Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 73 Discussion

Jun 1, 2008 8:46 PM
Vermillion

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Reinhard really handles politics well. Being able to make the formerly democratic republic receptive to his new rule is no small feat. Of course many people are probably sympathetic because compared to their corrupt top level leaders, Reinhard has been merciful and fair. They may also just be tired of the long standing war and are looking for any tangible peace they can find. This could mean Yang will become even further isolated. As Reinhard pointed out, it's a shame the staunch defenders of democratic rule never made it past mid-level leadership. The alliance would have been much stronger if they held positions of real power.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Aug 17, 2008 3:01 PM

Who was it that said, "Anyone capable of getting themselves made President should by no means be allowed to do the job."? Certainly seemed to ring true in this episode. Compare Trunihit to the guy who refuses to let, "Some guy named Reinhard von Lohengramm claiming to be the Galactic Emperor" perform an illegal investigation. Looks like Yang will have trouble bringing the alliance back under democratic rule as long as Reinhard is alive.

Dec 22, 2008 5:35 PM
Observer

It's sad but it actually reflects the politics in the real world: real talented people are never the one leading the government....That's why I am very unenthusiastic with my country's politics....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?

Jun 8, 2009 6:16 PM

naikou said:
"Some guy named Reinhard von Lohengramm claiming to be the Galactic Emperor" perform an illegal investigation.

That part made me lol so hard.

Anyway, awesome episode, one of my favorites so far.

Jun 24, 2009 4:49 PM

Well, the Alliance is dead for good this time. But that hardly means smooth sailing for Reinhard and the Empire. If anything, things will be tougher for them now that Yang and his crew have no ties to anything except themselves and the bare rules of democracy. From the start, Yang was a much larger threat to the Empire than the Alliance itself ever was.

Jan 17, 2010 6:54 AM

I saluted with the Yang fleet to pay my respect to the old man :( almost qqed
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Jan 18, 2010 6:37 PM

The best thing I like about Reinhard this whole time is his unflappability. When asked by those traitorous Alliance soldiers to treat them the same as he did Fahrenheit after the battle with the nobles, he had them arrested and executed for their actions against the government they were meant to defend. What Reinhard said afterward comparing those men to Admiral Bucock was admirable.

Reinhard said:
If I were to liken them to the effluvium of sewage, then that old man who died at Marr-Adeltta was the pure water of the mountains.

I wonder what Yang will do now that Reinhard has effectively won the hearts of millions.

Jan 24, 2010 2:11 PM

so Alliance is gone for good..
interesting what will happen next)

Jun 21, 2010 12:07 PM

So that's the end of the Alliance, now even on paper. :/
Still mourning for Bucock too..

But it seems now that the women on both sides are getting more and more important. I really liked it how Frederica made Yang accept Bucocks death.
But I don't think he should have killed all the soldiers. I mean Lebello was an asshole and kinda deserved it. It would have been enough tu punish the commander of the soldiers imo.

StephenCovey said:
Most of us don't listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.

Sep 29, 2010 7:24 PM
Reinhard looked badass at the end of the episode.

Now it's all humanity vs Yang Wenli.

LOL

Oct 31, 2010 2:11 PM

supersayen said:

Now it's all humanity vs Yang Wenli.

lol that's exactly what i wanted to write xD

oh boy,i don't like how things are looking :\,maybe i should just cope with the fact that yang can't make the impossible possible ;(

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Dec 27, 2010 6:12 PM

The power of long blonde hair and cape

I humbly chant, "SIEG HAIL KAISER!"
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Apr 6, 2011 5:33 AM

Higashi_no_Kaze said:

But it seems now that the women on both sides are getting more and more important. I really liked it how Frederica made Yang accept Bucocks death.

Yes, Reinhard and Yang each have a woman close to them who plays pretty much the same role of being the 'voice of reason', and both of these women look really similar. I wonder if they will meet someday, what that would be like?

Actually when I think about it, their close relationships have a lot of symmetry. Reinhard and Yang both effectively lost someone (well actually two people each) very close to them near the start of the series. They both have a young boy who is their protegee (well Julian is a bit more grown up now). And they have Frederica and Hilde. It's interesting.

But I don't think he should have killed all the soldiers. I mean Lebello was an asshole and kinda deserved it. It would have been enough tu punish the commander of the soldiers imo.

Agreed! That whole time I wanted to slap Reinhard. I could not stop thinking, "who does he think he is judging them like that??" I mean what other choice did they have really? It seems like he was holding them up to Bucock's standard and judging them for trying to save themselves. No one should be judged that harshly for doing something to save their own life, IMO. Survival is human nature. Reinhard seems to think he has the right to judge people's actions like a god being. I think Bucock himself would not have approved of the way Reinhard behaved in this episode. He was much more understanding and sympathetic to the needs of humanity than Reinhard will ever be.
Modified by sevenay, Apr 6, 2011 6:04 AM

Aug 26, 2011 8:36 PM
I guess the only argument would be that they didn't need to kill Lebello. Lebello was right that they were kind of small fish so I don't think they really had a lot to worry about.

Aug 30, 2011 2:38 PM

sevenay said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Agreed! That whole time I wanted to slap Reinhard. I could not stop thinking, "who does he think he is judging them like that??" I mean what other choice did they have really? It seems like he was holding them up to Bucock's standard and judging them for trying to save themselves. No one should be judged that harshly for doing something to save their own life, IMO. Survival is human nature. Reinhard seems to think he has the right to judge people's actions like a god being. I think Bucock himself would not have approved of the way Reinhard behaved in this episode. He was much more understanding and sympathetic to the needs of humanity than Reinhard will ever be.

Bucock would not have approved because he would believe that no single man has the right to judge people like that. Only the state, empowered through the will of all people has that right. Reinhard disagrees though. He believes he has earned that right by defeating the FPA. In Reinhard's world, might makes right. He was completely honest when he said earlier that anyone that could defeat him or his future heirs should rule.

Neither Bucock, Reinhard, or Yang would approve of those soldiers' actions though. Survival is part of human nature. So are things like lust, greed, and jealousy. For man to act on their base instincts alone is barely better than animals. Those men swore allegiance to the FPA and though that Lobello. It's assumed they happily accepted their paychecks and the responsibilities that came with it before things got tough. To then turn on their responsibility in an attempt to save their own lives shows the weakness of their character and is an act of cowardice. Probably the character flaw Reinhard hates more than any other.

Dec 16, 2011 10:04 PM
The Alliance is now officially off the Galactic Map. Reinhard Von Fabulous has effectively conquered the universe.

Interesting how easily Kaiser Lohengramm won over the people who had lived their whole lives under the principles of Democracy. Such is the power of strong leadership, I suppose.

"Some guy named Reinhard Von Lohengramm claiming to be Galactic Emperor" Its sort of funny to hear, but I thought it was interesting how the governing party of the Alliance was looking through their Democratic goggles at the whole situation, not being able to grasp that such things as rights to trial or search warrents don't exist anymore now that Reinhard is in power.

Jan 6, 2012 5:25 PM

Yang summarized the situation well by saying, that a perfect autocratic ruler like Reinhard is the worst enemy to republican democracy, because he is a just ruler and has the absolute power to enforce his justice.
But the problem, as he also already pointed out is the fact that no one can assure that the successor of Reinhard will be the same.

Jan 20, 2012 11:29 PM

The difference was Fahrenheit was willing to give his life for his betrayal.
If I remember correctly.

If they hadn't said that...he might not have killed them.

Feb 13, 2012 2:04 PM

Sabinlerose said:
The difference was Fahrenheit was willing to give his life for his betrayal.
If I remember correctly.

If they hadn't said that...he might not have killed them.

Yeah that commander pretty much signed his own death warrant once he mentioned Fahrenheit

Apr 30, 2012 1:54 AM

This episode had a different feel to it, there was a sense of foreboding, oppression and tragedy ahead or something like that. I think it's because of the long stretches of silence punctuated with Shostakovich's 5th symphony that really sets the impression that all is not right in the world.

May 14, 2012 12:13 PM

Yang crushing the cup of coffee in his hands was, in a way, one of the saddest moments of the series.

Sep 4, 2012 10:34 AM

im wondering if Reinhard will visit Annerose soon, he has fullfiled his promise to Sieg an now im kinda curious as what his sister has to say about it

Aug 4, 2013 8:07 PM

Traitors getting what they deserved.

Sep 23, 2013 11:21 PM

Reinhard was already the most powerful man . . . In fact, even before the epic war (once he had assumed control of the empire) he was already the most powerful man in the galaxy. Anyways, good episode, look forward to seeing how he will deal with the news of El Facil, and consequently how he will deal with Yang.

Dec 22, 2013 9:34 PM

Reinhard is a pussy throwing wine glasses, real men break coffee cups in their hands.

Mar 25, 2014 1:11 AM

Coffee?! Yang drinks TEA just like real man should do!

Sieg Kaiser Reinhard! Now just crush that tiny, but annoying rebel fleet stationed at Iserlohn and you have the whole universe.

Aug 9, 2014 4:46 AM

Is it just me or was the growing of his hair to signify his reach furthering in the galaxy and his reign lasting? Probably looking too much into that.

"If I were to liken them to the effluvium of sewage, then that old man who died at Marr-Adeltta was the pure water of the mountains."

This series has SO many amazing quotes I can take away from it.

Nov 13, 2014 5:03 PM

R.I.P Lebello. What a sad end to a man who devoted every once of his life to his country. Those selfish traitor scum definitely deserved the death sentence.

Mar 7, 2015 6:53 AM

The way that Reindhart and Farenheit handled that situation was awesome. It was also cool when he made those statements and truly became ruler of the galaxy.

Jun 2, 2015 12:16 PM

Reinhard just proved himself to be the better man when compared against Wenli in this episode lmao.

Sieg kaiser Reinhardo!

Jun 18, 2015 7:27 PM

A lot of yellow this episode! But quite interesting development, looking forward to see what happens next!

Jul 15, 2015 9:20 PM

Felt a bit of deja vu with the alliance surrendering again.

Aug 11, 2015 5:15 PM

I don't get all the hate Lebello is getting in these comments. The poor guy tried his utmost best to prevent the Free Planets Alliance from losing its rights and autonomy until the very end and was basically forced by the circumstances to act against Yang, not because of cowardice or self-gain, but because he firmly believed that was the only way for the Alliance to prevail, despite knowing that his name would forever be tainted in the halls of history.

If anything, Lebello was a true patriot worthy of praise who sacrificed his everything for the Alliance and doesn't deserve even a fraction of the hate he's getting here.

Aug 25, 2015 5:57 PM

this is getting painful to watching, cant believe the journey 2/3 over

Dec 21, 2015 2:28 AM

Sieg Kaiser Reinhard! feels great that the corrupted Free Planets Alliance has finally ended

Apr 15, 2016 1:59 AM

naikou said:
"Some guy named Reinhard von Lohengramm claiming to be the Galactic Emperor" perform an illegal investigation.

That was really funny xD
Despite everything, now again I realised I like Reinhard :)

May 24, 2016 6:19 PM
VoxOfTheSheeple said:
I don't get all the hate Lebello is getting in these comments. The poor guy tried his utmost best to prevent the Free Planets Alliance from losing its rights and autonomy until the very end and was basically forced by the circumstances to act against Yang, not because of cowardice or self-gain, but because he firmly believed that was the only way for the Alliance to prevail, despite knowing that his name would forever be tainted in the halls of history.

If anything, Lebello was a true patriot worthy of praise who sacrificed his everything for the Alliance and doesn't deserve even a fraction of the hate he's getting here.

Couldn't agree more, everyone who knew Lebello and were friends of his couldn't help but pity him. It was sad to see him cornered and trying the best he could. The only thing I think that Lebello was mistaken for in the end was that he was trying to save the FPA not democracy.

Jun 21, 2016 1:37 PM

Didn't feel a damn thing for Lebello once he died, sorry not sorry

As expected, Bucock's death hit Yang really hard :(
At least Frederica was there to reassure him.

Aug 9, 2016 2:24 PM
The Reinhard attitude with the traitors is very similar to that of Genghis Khan!
I love the historical references of animation! : 3

Oct 22, 2016 8:13 PM

And with that the fpa is finished; it was so ironic that the talent to save the nation was there all along but was also kept supressed by the corrupt people who got it destroyed.

Then again, Lebello could have been considered one of the talented and well meaning people, but it was far too late for him by the time he took office as chairman.
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."

Jun 23, 2017 5:17 PM
Nice, we got some Shostakovich this episode. I feel that they might be hinting at darker days ahead with the faux-celebratory tones of that Shostakovich symphony no 5.

Aug 29, 2017 2:52 PM

I dont know why but I had to laugh at the scene where Reinhard got the message of some rebel scums death - looking him in the eyes (60% covered by the cars door) no motions but slowly letting the window down - No you may not wash my window.

Ah things go pretty well for Reinhard. As Yang pointed out he is the worst enemy of democracy because he is better then democracy. Now since pretty much the entire human race is unified and at peace (I still wonder where the other 260 billion people went) Yang can do what he does best - creaty unnecessary deaths by prolonging a war only his fanclub asked for.

Its quite a shame Lebello had to die, he was right he had to take the evil role but at the end he defended democracy and more importantly the people more then Yangs plot armoured fleet ever had.

PS: Never realized Reinhard never actually went to Heinessen when he defeated them before.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Aug 30, 2017 11:05 AM

Comander-07 said:
(I still wonder where the other 260 billion people went)
they fell into a plot hole created by rudolf the great
some of them emerged when the fpa in its early years needed repopulating but the vast majority is still lost :(
Modified by Aure0lin, Aug 30, 2017 11:08 AM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."

Aug 30, 2017 12:20 PM

Aure0lin said:
Comander-07 said:
(I still wonder where the other 260 billion people went)
some of them emerged when the fpa in its early years needed repopulating but the vast majority is still lost :(
I just wonder because a) even after the animated history lessons its still not covered and b) they doubled the size of habitable space and now earth alone has way over 7 billion. so where is the rest?

Aug 30, 2017 12:32 PM

Comander-07 said:
Aure0lin said:
I just wonder because a) even after the animated history lessons its still not covered and b) they doubled the size of habitable space and now earth alone has way over 7 billion. so where is the rest?
supposedly they were all slaughtered in rudolf's purging campaigns but the full extent of the societal changes that resulted doesn't quite measure up to that bad of a depopulation crisis

though the double digit billions for both the fpa and galactic empire isn't too unbelievable since even with our 7-8 billion people, only around maybe a half are living in first world conditions
Modified by Aure0lin, Aug 30, 2017 12:43 PM

Aug 30, 2017 12:43 PM

Aure0lin said:
Comander-07 said:
supposedly they were all slaughtered in rudolf's purging campaigns but the full extent of the societal changes that resulted doesn't quite measure up to that bad of a depopulation crisis

though the double digit billions for both the fpa and galactic empire isn't too unbelievable since even with our 7-8 billion people, only around a half are living in first world conditions
the only numbers they told in regard to the purges was like few billions. They even said something like only 1% of Population so majority did not care. So this is a plothole. Huh. Well it fits my opinion about this so far..

Aug 30, 2017 12:45 PM

Comander-07 said:
Aure0lin said:

though the double digit billions for both the fpa and galactic empire isn't too unbelievable since even with our 7-8 billion people, only around a half are living in first world conditions
the only numbers they told in regard to the purges was like few billions. They even said something like only 1% of Population so majority did not care. So this is a plothole. Huh. Well it fits my opinion about this so far..
the documentary said that the population had reduced to like 50 billion by rudolf's death

yeah logh is the type of series that seems amazing from a distance then starts to look worse as you break down individual parts

Aug 30, 2017 12:50 PM

Aure0lin said:
Comander-07 said:
the documentary said that the population had reduced to like 50 billion by rudolf's death

yeah logh is the type of series that seems amazing from a distance then starts to look worse as you break down individual parts
I dont even need to break them down when simple things like this stand out.

Aug 30, 2017 12:55 PM

Comander-07 said:
Aure0lin said:

it gets worse when you actually try to make sense of the naval battles then realize that most of them simply don't work in space or even on an ocean

Aug 30, 2017 2:51 PM

Aure0lin said:
Comander-07 said:
it gets worse when you actually try to make sense of the naval battles then realize that most of them simply don't work in space or even on an ocean
pls dont start with logic in battles. Its atrocious

Pages (2) [1] 2 »