Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 71 Discussion

Jun 1, 2008 6:40 PM
Vermillion

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Bucock has got impressive tactical skills. As promised he won't go down easily at all. Reuental was right not to discount him during their war meeting.

If they would have followed Strait's plan they could have cut off Bucock's supply lines and bled him dry. The single fleet he proposed would probalby end up a lost cause though. As it stands, it looks like their losses for their current plan will be much greater.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Dec 22, 2008 4:18 PM
Observer

Darn.. the narrator was right. If Yang Wenli knew that the Alliances will be resisting so hard, he would have come to help to do a surprise attack on Reinhard together with Bucock....

Now he missed the opportunity....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?

Dec 17, 2009 4:01 PM

Didn't expect Bucock to do that well.

Great battle.

Jan 16, 2010 11:05 AM

Bucock is a tough old man. He'll probably go down, but not without wiping out an admiral or two. I hope.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Jan 18, 2010 10:56 AM

I'm glad these old dogs still have some bite. Bucock did well to draw Imperial forces into that corridor and fully make use of the area. If Yang were there, things would've turned out much, much differently. Not taking into account that the Alliance would be showing up for one last go will certainly have its reprocussusions.

Reuenthal surprised me as much as it scared Wolfgang; all that talk has me wondering what he might do later on.

Jun 19, 2010 6:35 PM

Loved the discussion about the god of history..
Reuental really is an interesting character.
And Bucock certainly handles the imperial fleet well so far, I wonder if he will take some important admiral or higher down with him.

StephenCovey said:
Most of us don't listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.

Oct 15, 2010 10:13 AM

Damn this music is intense! The same random poetry as the beginning of the series, but the battles look so much more intense by this point in the series (and they are so much more complex tactically too!) However, it looks like the careful "hide in the hole and bite them when they stick their hands in" strategy has been replaced by a final charge that probably won't succeed. What happens after the alliance falls?
“I can't stand pretty opinions!”

Oct 29, 2010 3:23 PM

the ED song still gets to me...it has that something :),i don't know
thanks to the next ep preview i can skip the 72nd episode lol

anyways,Bucock really has skills,i can't belive that with his little fleet he really got through

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Oct 30, 2010 12:11 AM

clannad4ever said:
the ED song still gets to me...it has that something :),i don't know
thanks to the next ep preview i can skip the 72nd episode lol

don't watch the previews :p
they really do spoil a lot
anyway 72 is one amazing ep..u shouldn't skip it <3

Oct 30, 2010 3:02 AM

Never ever watch previews. Ever. Especially for this show. Especially from this point onwards.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Oct 30, 2010 7:10 AM

oh god...please whatever you do do not....I repeat DO NOT watch previews.....from this point onwards!!!!!
"In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

Oct 31, 2010 1:21 AM

lol...
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Oct 31, 2010 11:01 AM

Yes! Now that I've seen the rest of the series, I'd like to repeat this essential advice. Do NOT watch the previews! Trust me, the damn narrator already spoils enough.
“I can't stand pretty opinions!”

Oct 31, 2010 12:53 PM

thank you for caring so much ^_^ lol
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Dec 27, 2010 4:57 PM

I had my doubts (well not really...), but I can say this gets a 9 now, but it is very very close to a 10 from me.

We have like 40 more episodes left? We shall see.

Old man, die! Or Reinhard-sama's hair will choke you
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Feb 6, 2011 8:37 AM

I salute you, Bucock.
Didn't really expect him to do so well, not with this force against him.
Also, I never watched previews, at first because they weren't subbed, but then because I learned (not even from this series), that previews spoil a lot. And I mean a LOT. Yes, talking about you, Katanagatari, and your narration in episode...3? 4? >.<
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)

Mar 15, 2011 2:06 PM
Bucock did well against the younger guys, but he's definitely getting in more trouble than he thinks. He barely made it through Muller, and now has to face off against Reinhard, Reuenthal and Hilde all commanding the unharmed Imperial flagship.

On another note, Reuenthal's poem made it clear that he is in fact a viking.

Apr 19, 2011 5:43 AM

Admiral Bucock, man of the episode.

Aug 25, 2011 9:28 PM
Bucock is tough, but I don't get why there wasn't more strategic planning when entering the corridor. It always seems like its going to be tough when you're fighting in a narrow corridor...then add the asteroids, a seasoned vet, and the fact that they chose the battlefield and you would think there would have been more trepidation about quickly entering the corridor. Doesn't it seems like a lot of the Empire's ships were getting destroyed and Reinhard was just chuckling and calling it interesting? Seems strange for one of the most strategic minds of the universe...especially while another one of those minds was right next to him talking strategy. I guess Reinhard likes to let his admirals make their own calls, but they lost a lot of guys that way.

Dec 25, 2011 7:53 PM
Grisle said:
Bucock is tough, but I don't get why there wasn't more strategic planning when entering the corridor. It always seems like its going to be tough when you're fighting in a narrow corridor...then add the asteroids, a seasoned vet, and the fact that they chose the battlefield and you would think there would have been more trepidation about quickly entering the corridor. Doesn't it seems like a lot of the Empire's ships were getting destroyed and Reinhard was just chuckling and calling it interesting? Seems strange for one of the most strategic minds of the universe...especially while another one of those minds was right next to him talking strategy. I guess Reinhard likes to let his admirals make their own calls, but they lost a lot of guys that way.

indeed i wouldnt think he would do nothing while his fleets were being crushed, i expected anger and got exhilaration kinda out of character either plothole ot he doesnt care since has numbers..

but buckock showed himself again eve more that last time

Jan 20, 2012 9:49 PM

Old man Bucock's putting up one hell of a last stand for Democrazy.
Much more then I had expected.

Feb 12, 2012 10:29 PM

Imps got quite the fight on their hands.

Mar 16, 2012 5:55 PM

I haven't seen a single LOGH episode yet -- it's sitting in my PTW just waiting to be watched -- but I just stumbled onto Frédéric Chopin's MAL page and was left speechless when I found that my favorite piece of Classical music, the Revolutionary Etude, was used in this episode. Oh boy am I looking forward to watching this series for yet another reason.

Mar 17, 2012 3:51 AM

Hakuromatsu said:
I haven't seen a single LOGH episode yet -- it's sitting in my PTW just waiting to be watched -- but I just stumbled onto Frédéric Chopin's MAL page and was left speechless when I found that my favorite piece of Classical music, the Revolutionary Etude, was used in this episode. Oh boy am I looking forward to watching this series for yet another reason.

And a very good reason, too! The soundtrack for this series, apart from the OPs and EDs, are basically all classical music. Glorious classical music. This show uses them so effectively and perfectly, and at the same time the music makes the show just that much more awesome. It's beautiful!

I swear some classical pieces are now associated with certain events from this series in my mind. I will never listen to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata without associating it with a certain event, for instance. And Ravel's Bolero received the most ingenious treatment in 'My Conquest Is A Sea of Stars'.

Mar 17, 2012 1:43 PM

Athena said:
Hakuromatsu said:

And a very good reason, too! The soundtrack for this series, apart from the OPs and EDs, are basically all classical music. Glorious classical music. This show uses them so effectively and perfectly, and at the same time the music makes the show just that much more awesome. It's beautiful!

I swear some classical pieces are now associated with certain events from this series in my mind. I will never listen to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata without associating it with a certain event, for instance. And Ravel's Bolero received the most ingenious treatment in 'My Conquest Is A Sea of Stars'.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one.
I have been hearing classical music randomly and bringing up certain scenes of the show.

Once I start making money and am not a poor starving college student, I do believe I am going to buy me the official soundtrack for LotGH....

Apr 28, 2012 4:20 AM

I didn't care for this episode much because I find space battles rather boring. Reuenthal's speech was the most interesting part, all that talk about history wanting to drink blood reminded me of Hegel's philosophy of history. Again it was appropriate since the empire has taken so much of Prussia. It is impressive that the series manages to incorporate all these allusions into the series without making too big a deal of it where lesser series would resort to name-dropping philosophers without actually having the equivalent depth (thinking of Ergo Proxy).

This context also made me think that the Alliance position isn't so much modelled after American democracy even though the names are often English. At least Yang Wenli's musings have more in common with French Enlightenment. So the model is not in any current society but, like with the Empire, in late 18th century Europe. The Alliance is like a society France might have become if the French Revolution hadn't lead to tyranny and eventual return of autocracy. But if that hadn't happened, Napoleonic wars would not have been fought and Prussia might have been even stronger than it was, much like the Empire. Of course it's easy to speculate one way or another because there's no way we can know for real.

So I find it impressive that not only does this series apparently have all this background in 18th-19th century politics, philosophy, music etc. but that it doesn't depend on making such connections explicit in order to appear deep. It's up to the viewer to decide on which aspects to focus.

May 13, 2012 9:18 PM

Tactically, this has been one of the most interesting battles of the series.

Hakuromatsu said:

Fuck yeah, the Me from two months knows exactly what he's talking about. The Revolutionary Etude really sold that conversation between Mittermeyer and Reuenthal.

Feorg said:
This context also made me think that the Alliance position isn't so much modelled after American democracy even though the names are often English. At least Yang Wenli's musings have more in common with French Enlightenment. So the model is not in any current society but, like with the Empire, in late 18th century Europe. The Alliance is like a society France might have become if the French Revolution hadn't lead to tyranny and eventual return of autocracy. But if that hadn't happened, Napoleonic wars would not have been fought and Prussia might have been even stronger than it was, much like the Empire. Of course it's easy to speculate one way or another because there's no way we can know for real.

This is an interesting position. I think there's no question that the framework of the FPA's government itself is that of the typical 20th century democracy, but in spirit the FPA may be closer to a hypothetical French state, post-Age of Reason -- especially considering that, like you said, the Galactic Empire is obviously modeled after 19th century Prussia, in both framework and spirit.

Aug 4, 2013 6:58 PM

LOGH's smartest old dude award goes to Bucock and Merkatz!

Sep 23, 2013 5:38 PM

Is it just me or has Reinhard's plans been extremely half-assed lately? I mean ... They could have just surrounded the corridor with extremely overwhelming numbers and just like fired missiles in to the corridor, destroying everything in there. This roundabout way is causing them more losses by not fully taking advantage of their superior numbers.

Mar 24, 2014 3:12 AM

This ia intresting battle. Even Reinhard seems to think so, but I am not sure if he should think tvat way while his fleets are being destroyed. :O

Aug 9, 2014 3:26 AM

The old tank stands strong for an episode, will he last one more?

Nov 13, 2014 2:33 PM

Pirating_Ninja said:
Is it just me or has Reinhard's plans been extremely half-assed lately? I mean ... They could have just surrounded the corridor with extremely overwhelming numbers and just like fired missiles in to the corridor, destroying everything in there. This roundabout way is causing them more losses by not fully taking advantage of their superior numbers.

Because plot. They want to make it look like the remnants of the Alliance put up a good fight and at one point have the upper hand instead of just getting slaughtered like it probably should've gone due to the Empire's superior numbers and talent.

Jan 4, 2015 8:32 PM

That one was pretty frustrating. It's becoming a common thing that the Imperial forces just charge in and never consider the environment. That's pretty unbelievable for a genius like Reinhard.
Incompetence comes in t save the day once more, and that's only frustrating because the last few successes have been due to it.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Mar 6, 2015 6:59 PM

The good strategy in this episode is somewhat making up for the events of last episode. This is how a battle should be. Neither side has dumbassess doing stop shit and messing everything up, its pure tactics from both sides without dumbing people down for plot convenience.

Jun 2, 2015 7:11 AM

Great battle, no dumbasses and incompetence leaders xD just pure strategists testing their skills out. Reinhard's main forces is in trouble now, wonder what will happen in the next episode.

Jun 16, 2015 5:53 PM

Great action in this episode, I really like this kind of development and full front battles!

Jul 14, 2015 6:34 AM

The best battles are battles without dumbasses XD

Aug 25, 2015 4:25 PM

dem newbs got rekt

Apr 14, 2016 11:33 PM

That was impressive. What a great battle!

Jun 21, 2016 10:41 AM

I'm glad Bucock still has some fight left in him...It's shame that he's destined to lose there though :(

Oct 20, 2016 5:58 PM

Corridors don't work that way when the environment is 3d and you can send ships above or below the asteroid belt. That initial strategy makes even less sense when you see the 3d environment in use towards the end.
The way they handled it was fine but Reinhard seems a bit too passive as the supreme commander and the other Imperial commanders were being played way too easily in the beginning. It got better afterwards though.
Modified by Aure0lin, Oct 20, 2016 6:08 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."

Mar 20, 2017 1:59 PM

Is it me, or were the visuals much better in this episode than they were in previous episodes? Some of those backdrops and spaceship animations were actually pretty nice.

Aug 29, 2017 1:48 PM

Ah the best batlle episode so far. alliance fleet showed experience and a death wish and put up a great fight. The imperial commanders also showed a great deal of battle tactics. Reuenthal pretty much saw through the alliance plan. I guess he and Mittermeyer could have resolved this with much less losses, but probably nobody cares about that at this point.

I just wonder how many ships the alliance had left. They even send some over to yang. They had like non before, lost the war and got demelitarized to a degree. But hey its just numbers.

Reuenthal probably thinks about what Kaiser Reinhard(o) would see in him if he was at Yangs position. But I guess he was just battle hungry and will stay loyal now.
I actually think this would have been better with an empire only view. Because alliance asspulls too much for my liking.

PS: Just build another fortress to smash it into Iserlohn (an asteroid should be enough, so just add the thrusters like with the other fortres) because by now Iserlohn became annoying
Modified by Comander-07, Aug 29, 2017 2:15 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Nov 11, 2017 9:16 AM

The Bucock strategy is amaizing, although i think it will be end badly for the Alliance!!!

Hello, my litte boy!

May 13, 2018 8:32 PM
Superb episode.

Buccock and Trung are doing a fantastic job and I get the feeling that we are going to lose major characters in the next episode and have a very bad feeling it might be Mueller.

Reuenthal is doing a great job but is jealous of Yang which is interesting. He seems to have convinced Reinhard that Yang will block their route through the Phezzan corridor and now they are going to retreat through the Iserlohn one instead. That would be fantastic for democracy!

This was the best space battle by far. If only Yang were here the evil Empire might have been destroyed forever and Reinhard with it.

MVP of the episode: Without doubt Buccock.
Modified by JohnWoo, May 13, 2018 8:38 PM

Nov 8, 2018 1:31 AM

Best line this episode, spoken by Reuenthal: "History wants to drink up an enormous amount of blood."