Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 14, 2007 2:33 PM
Nov 2006
Just thought that if there's an option for a private list, is it possible to make an option for a private profile too?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 14, 2007 6:19 PM

Mar 2007
What's the use of that? Isn't a profile meant to let others know about you? Then if no one reads it, why write it at all?

There is a "My notes" thingy in the edit profile page which isn't viewable in the profile page...........Dunno if that works for you...??
Jul 14, 2007 6:25 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Just don't add anything to it. Then it's private. :)
Jul 14, 2007 6:31 PM

Mar 2007
loool

But that just means you don't have a profile at all, whereas with the private list you actually do have a list, but no one else can read it. ;)
Jul 14, 2007 7:08 PM

Oct 2006
That'd be great for all those people whose prime desire is to talk about themselves... to themselves. You know, the crazy ones. Are these private profiles going to come with a padded room to view them in?
Jul 14, 2007 8:44 PM

May 2007
ROFL. I think maybe they meant "friends only." Am I correct? o_o
Jul 14, 2007 9:40 PM
Nov 2006
XDDDDDDDDDDD
What I meant is to be able to make yourself a kinda "invisible user" that way..
Coz' even if you make your list private, on the profile there are still the 'Recently Watched/Updated Anime' and the 'Random Anime' section, so the list isn't that private after all.
And what if I want to list my favorites on the profile but I don't want anyone to see them?

ScrumYummy said:
ROFL. I think maybe they meant "friends only." Am I correct? o_o

This is a good idea.
And actually a better one than mine...XD
So how about making a "friends only" option for the profile + the list?

Jul 14, 2007 10:04 PM

Oct 2006
On a more serious note, I fail to see the point in any of this. A list of the anime you like and your favorites aren't particularly personal or revealing, nobody even really cares that much about what you're watching if you don't go out of your way to discuss it with them on the forums and such. Putting any time into making things so that you can hide them from others is just silly, in my opinion.
Jul 14, 2007 10:28 PM

Nov 2004
I can understand "Friends Only" but if you don't partake in site activities (forum, clubs, blog) then your profile is as good as private. I doubt people actively go to look at profiles of people they don't even know.
Jul 14, 2007 11:02 PM

Feb 2007
Crystal said:
I can understand "Friends Only" but if you don't partake in site activities (forum, clubs, blog) then your profile is as good as private. I doubt people actively go to look at profiles of people they don't even know.
I agree
Jul 15, 2007 5:28 AM

Apr 2007
I can understand the Private Profile option on major social networking sites because you can list detailed schedules and specific address information. This makes it easy for your friends to quickly grab your address information and such, but you wouldn't necessarily want the world to know when you'll be out of the house for a while.

With MAL, the profile doesn't get particularly personal, so I wouldn't think it'd be a problem.

Hachimitsu, it sounds like you don't want anybody (including friends?) to know anything about you including your favorite anime like you used in your example. You know that information already yourself. If you're only listing it for you, why list it? I'm sure most people can easily rattle off their top five anime series in a matter of seconds.

Jul 15, 2007 7:34 AM

May 2007
Yes, but I can understand why some people want their profiles private/friends only. Some don't want to get too involved in the social networking (beyond their personal friends), others have had problems with e-stalkers or harassment over the internet and don't want to risk it happening again. But they would like to keep an anime list, and maybe socialize with the people they already know.

selective_yellow said:
Crystal said:
I agree

Except that when you look at your own profile, it links you to the users with the highest compatibility. And I don't know about you, but I've checked out all of the people I'm compatible with =)

Also, whenever you update your list, it shows it on the global updates and on the anime's page as well.
Jul 15, 2007 7:53 AM

Mar 2005
The thing about that is since Hachimitsu has already made her list private, all that other stuff in the profile (shared anime, compatibility, recent updates, etc) don't show up either. Go check it out for yourself.
Jul 15, 2007 8:03 AM

Apr 2007
XD she's probably racking up more hits than she wanted.

Either Hachimitsu hasn't put any anime on her list or any amount of it's contents is 100% private.

Jul 15, 2007 8:06 AM

May 2007
kei-clone said:
The thing about that is since Hachimitsu has already made her list private, all that other stuff in the profile (shared anime, compatibility, recent updates, etc) don't show up either. Go check it out for yourself.

Ah. I didn't know that. XD

Still though, it would be nice for those who want to share their info, but only with certain people, and not all-or-none.
Jul 15, 2007 8:33 AM
Nov 2006
kei-clone said:

Actually it does show.
Jul 15, 2007 9:07 AM

Apr 2007
Hachimitsu said:
Actually it does show.

Maybe for you. It doesn't for us.

Jul 15, 2007 9:57 AM
Nov 2006
That's because I don't have any entries on my list right now.
But I've added some entries, loged out, checked my profile and it showed.
So even when the list is private, everything on the profile is visible.

I think the option for privacy on any site on the net is a basic thing.
If a user wants to be "invisible" or visible only for those he choses, why not make this possible?
It won't harm anyone and some people will definitely use this option.
Jul 15, 2007 10:28 AM

May 2007
I would find it quite annoying if I clicked on a user and their profile was private especially if a lot a users made their profiles private.... Just use notes if you want it to be private so bad.
Jul 15, 2007 12:36 PM

Oct 2006
Privacy on the net is basic if it's something that actually matters - contact info, personal details, ip addresses, whether you're online or not - but MAL doesn't list any of these things unless you want it to.

Wanting to hide your anime list and profile from everyone serves no purpose and is just dumb. One thing you really seem to be missing is that nobody cares. You act like there are people out there just waiting to pounce on your profile and somehow blackmail you with a list of your favorite anime titles or something, but I can guarantee you that nobody on this site goes off looking for random users' profiles to read.
Jul 15, 2007 1:14 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
I hate it when I go to a site, click on a profile, and am presented with something like, "You must be logged in to see this profile". Or, if I'm restricted by something like, "You must be a friend of this user to view their profile".

HATE IT. It bugs the crap out of me.

Therefore, it's very unlikely I'll ever implement a profile restriction. You aren't using your real name, your e-mail is not exposed. Your IP is hidden. Your password is encrypted. There is no way for anyone to know who you are. Welcome to the internet.
Jul 15, 2007 2:03 PM

Apr 2007
Xinil said:
I hate it when I go to a site, click on a profile, and am presented with something like, "You must be logged in to see this profile". Or, if I'm restricted by something like, "You must be a friend of this user to view their profile".

Therefore, it's very unlikely I'll ever implement a profile restriction. You aren't using your real name, your e-mail is not exposed. Your IP is hidden. Your password is encrypted. There is no way for anyone to know who you are. Welcome to the internet.
Well said. *thumbs up*
----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version 3.12 '''(Updated: 29/05/15)'''
GCM/GCS d s:+ a C++(+++) UL-- P L+(-) E-- W++ N++
o? K? w++(++++) O--- M--- V-- PS@ PE+ Y+ PGP++@
t+ 5 X+ R++ tv b DI D++ G e h!* r* y-
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Jul 15, 2007 2:48 PM

Nov 2004
whats the big deal of having things private here

only part i can understand is blogs tbh, and even there?q =P
Jul 15, 2007 3:59 PM

Apr 2007
Aokaado said:

Now why on earth would you want to keep a blod private?
If you keep a Diary, you're most likely not keeping it on MAL anyway... :P
----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version 3.12 '''(Updated: 29/05/15)'''
GCM/GCS d s:+ a C++(+++) UL-- P L+(-) E-- W++ N++
o? K? w++(++++) O--- M--- V-- PS@ PE+ Y+ PGP++@
t+ 5 X+ R++ tv b DI D++ G e h!* r* y-
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Jul 15, 2007 5:01 PM

Mar 2005
Zealotus said:
Aokaado said:

Now why on earth would you want to keep a blod private?
If you keep a Diary, you're most likely not keeping it on MAL anyway... :P

well some ppl do that on LiveJournal.
Jul 22, 2011 12:26 PM

Feb 2007
if the point of being at this site at all for anyone would be to create a list with the given functionality and features provided here, who are any of you to decline them that right.

just because this is a social network doesnt mean everyone should simply be available to annoy. not everyone signs up here to mingle, and you might say this is then at the choice of the user, and to that i would say, having them perfectly visible at all times still ventures into the realm of social interactions whereas the users privacy isnt kept. if even that privacy is adhered to by still being able to view a profile that hasnt any personal or identifiable information displayed, it would still violate the users then right to privacy. dropped shows and all kinds of other things, compatibility even, are still shown and the user is powerless to prevent that kind of personal information, which it would be considered at this point, from being viewed by people they would have no inkling of sharing it with. this would suggest people pack up and move out and off of this site as there are others out there that do not require you to be interpersonal with other members.

again, if the main function of this service would be the ability to create and maintain a list, for whatever reasons left up to the user, then why wouldnt they be allowed to better control their ability to do just that and nothing else?

furthermore, why arent there better private/public functions for viewing an anime, or manga list such as public (anyone), users (members registered to the site), clubs (only viewable by members of the clubs you're apart of and friends), friends (accepted friends only), and private (self)? you would think not being able to view someones profile or list while being a non-member, would then entice them to register. you would also think that if someone were to make a profile and list private that other members would be inclined to make friends with them to further mingle, or discover likes and dislikes even as a basis for social interactions. and really, if lists and profiles were to become private, features like ignoring friend requests, and the like, could then be nulled while such other functions were enabled, thus allowing a format to reach any of those particular users. even then functions as a means to directly request temporary access to view said page/profile could then be employed to exert the ability of not having to change privacy levels, or accept random friend, or club requests/invites. if there is a level of mingling already existent, such as reviews being written by those kinds of users, it would still be simple to restrict how restrictive they can make their pages based on such a variable.
Jul 24, 2011 10:14 AM

May 2007
Not to be off topic, but... you do realise you just revived an over four years old thread, right?

Also I can't make out what the hell you just said.
Jul 25, 2011 12:28 AM

Feb 2007
you do realize we're supposed to look for topics to see if theyve been done already or not, correct? why make a new one when this is still suitable?

i wouldnt need you to understand. xinil already made it fairly clear that he does things on this site according to his preference alone. so im talking to him mostly, not you. unless youre the one with ftp access..? in either case, what part(s) do you not comprehend?

usually when things like this get brought up, the need for them isnt understood. and unless a need is brought up it tends to go ignored, or it leaves room for the admins personal preference to be enforced. i cant remember the last time anything worthwhile was actually implemented on this site. even the features, or regulatory systems that have been here forever.. kinda suck.
Jul 25, 2011 12:39 AM

Jan 2008
I think every website with a user profile needs a 'privacy' mode, considering the state of things these days on the internet, it's almost obligatory. With MAL, as a concession, you could leave the manga/anime lists public no matter what, but make everything else on the profile such as personal details/friends/comments, all private.

Some of us have stalkers. :|
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 25, 2011 12:53 AM

Feb 2007
yeah, good point. i didnt want to go any further than i did, and im glad i didnt because it may have been even more terribly difficult to understand than it apparently already is. lol
Aug 4, 2011 4:03 PM
May 2011
Agreed...
There are few things I want to hide in my profile why not make it possible?
Aug 5, 2011 2:10 AM

Dec 2007
Beatnik said:
I think every website with a user profile needs a 'privacy' mode, considering the state of things these days on the internet, it's almost obligatory. With MAL, as a concession, you could leave the manga/anime lists public no matter what, but make everything else on the profile such as personal details/friends/comments, all private.

Why would you bother to fill out personal information then? I'm approached by lots of people, and that amount doubled since I became a mod. I simply removed information that might lead to my IM or email address. What else is there to complain about?
Aug 5, 2011 7:32 PM

Mar 2009
It's easy- if you don't want people to know something, don't put it on your profile. Or if you really want to have personal information about yourself, put in on your blog and set it to friends only or something.
Aug 8, 2011 3:08 AM

Feb 2007
lol -- and the things that you cant turn off? what then?
Aug 14, 2011 11:52 PM

Feb 2010
Despised said:
To put it in a simple sentence: "Just don't post something that you don't want others to see."
"Your taste is shit cause you like what I hate. Believe me I have 1000 cartoons that I rated with less than 5."

Aug 15, 2011 12:32 AM

Jan 2008
Chavez said:
Why would you bother to fill out personal information then? I'm approached by lots of people, and that amount doubled since I became a mod. I simply removed information that might lead to my IM or email address. What else is there to complain about?

You're arguing for an all or nothing approach, and I'm saying it would be nice if users here had options. What if I only want friends to see comments on my profile or my 'about me' section, etc, etc.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 15, 2011 5:11 PM

Feb 2007
Cashdaxxx said:
Despised said:
To put it in a simple sentence: "Just don't post something that you don't want others to see."

To put it in a simple paragraph:

Turn off my compatibility, turn off my favorites (I'd like to keep them for my view only, otherwise I'll have to resort to offline-storage), turn off my recent activity/history, turn off the amount of forum posts I make, turn off my join date, turn off the number of comments I've made, turn off how many people view my anime/manga lists, turn off profile views (oh wait, this was turned off/hidden a long time ago lol), turn off my anime/manga statistics charts, turn off who my friends are, turn off the clubs I'm in, turn off my last online, turn off my gender (I can't seem to do it.. lol).

Re-re.
Aug 15, 2011 8:23 PM

Jun 2007
Beatnik said:

Only attention seekers believe this is true, online. It isn't as if you're posing as an attractive blonde woman.

Never understood why people make their lists private, let alone profiles. The whole point of making lists is to share them with others. The brain is perfect for lists creared for one person only.

And what's so bad about people looking at your profile? If someone does something as horrid as leaving a nasty remark or - *GASP* - thinks nasty things about your opinions, it won't hurt you. Trust me.

Hentai? Know some users in real-life? Just create another hentai-only account. Simples.
Aug 15, 2011 9:26 PM

Feb 2007
AironicallyHuman said:
Beatnik said:

Only attention seekers believe this is true, online. It isn't as if you're posing as an attractive blonde woman.

Never understood why people make their lists private, let alone profiles. The whole point of making lists is to share them with others. The brain is perfect for lists creared for one person only.

And what's so bad about people looking at your profile? If someone does something as horrid as leaving a nasty remark or - *GASP* - thinks nasty things about your opinions, it won't hurt you. Trust me.

Hentai? Know some users in real-life? Just create another hentai-only account. Simples.

the whole point of making a list, or at least a basic principle of a list, is to keep track of do, or not to do. once you start reaching a threshold, say.. 50, or 100 seen, or want to see, it isnt a matter of memory anymore, because for most its simply not possible to recall every last show youve seen or havent yet. the problem lies with all of the abilities to keep track of a list accurately (via aid of databases, etc that can be seen on sites such as this) lies completely on using online sources (this site) as a means to create and maintain. i dont know of any offline databases/programs that can be used that will calculate the amount of time for you, statistics, and information regarding any particular title. if one did exist, i imagine it would require regular (at least seasonal) updates to the database to keep information and titles up to date.

this site is a joke in the whole social networking aspect. even the worst social networks (myspace) allow at the very least decent privacy options to its members. this site offers privacy to the lists, but not the actual members. its humorous.

reallistically, the only way around all this bullshit is to pack up and leave this site. keep an offline list, no matter the inadequacies in doing so become presented. better yet join a different one, anidb pretty much understands these basic rudimentary concepts. ann keeps it pretty basic, also, but doesnt really offer the time watched, so very basic. anime-planet doesnt do the privacy thing at all from what i understand, but the admin also insists on putting yaoi into the database, but arbitrarily decides borderline titles featuring straight-sex characters and situations is unacceptable all the while claiming it to be a family site... enough said.

the point is though, that these are basically the only mediums for keeping track of your lists. you can try to do it offline, sure, but then you're constantly searching around for titles, when you put your shit on a site, you can usually freely look around for new things to watch, or read up on things you already have. thats a very huge difference. it also helps you keep score, something you really wouldnt do if you kept an offline list. when you have hundreds of titles in your collection, something non-ambiguous as opposed to some chicken scratch in notepad is very helpful. nasty remarks.. lol, who cares, but i mean if the site is called myanimelist, why cant it just be about your damn list, and why do we need to have viewable statistics for everyone.. its supposed to be about your damn list, not some kind of internet elitism, which is the exact reason why we dont get forum ranks.. lol. myanimelist.. shouldnt this be called myanimeandmangalist, idk. myreviewofanimessite.. myanimeclubs. think of all the bullshit thats on this site, very little of it actually caters to maintaining a list of watched anime. random friend and club invites, hundreds of comments on your user "walls".. who cares about any of that.. realy.

the hentai thing is a very strange topic, mostly because if anyone were to look at this rationally, they should understand why some people dont really want it, on their lists or otherwise. its like having a live-action tv/movies site, with all the tv shows listed, tv movies, straight to dvd releases, and theatrical. you wouldnt really shove all of the porn youve seen on them, would you? its the same as having a conversation about shows youve watched. "i watch all kinds of shows. dexter, true blood, law & order, oh and last week i saw teen anal desperados 7, shit was so good had this linear plot that was so captivating i mean a real must see..." yeah.. that just doesnt work. porn is porn.
Aug 15, 2011 10:46 PM

Dec 2010
Well, MAL was generally created for anime but also incorporated a manga section as well since a majority of the anime out there were adaptations from mangas/light novels.

What's the point of having a private profile? If there's no personal information other than your birthday then why should it matter if it's private or not? The anime list is more than sufficient for you to record all the anime you have watched. If that's the only reason you choose to make an account on MAL then that's OK. That's the main purpose of the site anyway.

However, what good is a database site if there isn't a way for people to share their interests with each other and chat about it? Of course your wall may not be completely relevant to anime itself, but that's how humans are. We don't just live and breathe anime. It's more or less a hobby for most. It'd be awful to restrict everything posted on a wall that is not anime related.

Despite what I've said so far, I do understand where you're coming from with the hentai stuff. The best solution I could come up with is having hentai titles tagged as mature (or just tag them as hentai) and have the option to hide or unhide them from your list. It'd be friendlier to people, especially children and young teenagers.

Aug 15, 2011 11:37 PM

Feb 2007
i think you completely missed the point. things like compatibility, recent history, statistics, you cant turn them off. you cant even turn the search off, not that its worked well in the last 4 years, infact its probably been disabled at least 80% of the time since then. anyone seeking to remain unnoticed can easily get noticed. everytime they update their list, they end up at the bottom of the anime page, users recently watched. cant even turn that off, or opt out of it. this compatibility thing ive always kinda laughed at. its like trying some obscure dating site, oh you are compatible with this person.. rofl.

database site points are absolutely moot. their only real function is to serve as an information conduit. this site tries hard in the social networking aspects but cant even get basic privacy features implemented. you should be able to opt out of all of the redundant activities on the site, not just some by means of choice. plain and simple.
Aug 16, 2011 6:01 PM

Dec 2010
My apologies it seems I did miss your point.

Yeah, what you said is true and I do think it should be addressed by Xinil (although he sort of did).

I've looked into the list edit section and noticed they have an option to make your list "private", but I'm not sure how private it really is.

Jan 4, 2012 8:42 PM

Apr 2010
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I feel that it is better to do this than to create a new one.

Some of you in here are being incredibly rude to the OP who had a simple request. Not everyone uses MAL as a social interaction site. Some people (like me) just like the list managing aspect of it, and want to be able to have a private list for myself. Unfortunately, even if I make my lists private, the "Last List Updates" and "Random Manga/Anime" still shows up. Whether or not I have something to hide is irrelevant. The point is that I want to be able to have this feature, and me nor the OP should get such rude unhelpful responses just for requesting it.
May 14, 2012 9:54 PM

Apr 2012
Beatnik said:

I make his words mine.
Aug 28, 2013 5:34 AM
Oct 2008
I'm going to bump this because I'm considerably annoyed to find out that my profile shows up on Google. This is not acceptable.
Aug 28, 2013 8:03 PM

Jun 2012
Xinil said:

This quote should be saved somewhere so when someone complains we can direct them to it.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Oct 5, 2013 6:01 PM
Aug 2013
Fallenkingzero said:
This quote should be saved somewhere so when someone complains we can direct them to it.

Because Xinil's weird pet peeve is somehow a good reason to deny users of this site the option to use it the way they want. You guys are assholes. Some people want the functions of mal without the retarded social networking aspect. What's so wrong with that?
Oct 5, 2013 6:14 PM

Nov 2010
morasthite said:
Fallenkingzero said:

Because Xinil's weird pet peeve is somehow a good reason to deny users of this site the option to use it the way they want. You guys are assholes. Some people want the functions of mal without the retarded social networking aspect. What's so wrong with that?
The way he thinks he should run his own site doesn't really sound like a pet peeve. There's many other things people want to have on here that they can't have, everyone can't get what they want, Xinil decided that he didn't want that to be a feature of this site. I know what you are but what am I. Then you can use a notepad, excel worksheet, or even AniDB as they allow you to do that. The idea is that your profile has no info about you and you can already set your list to private(which isn't foolproof since the site still has to get your scores so there is a workaround but no one would really want to view your list), and if you don't use the social aspects no one will even go to your profile or pry into your list, which Xinil and a lot other people including myself think is enough. I on the opposite have never heard of a good reason to keep your profile private.
IntroverTurtleOct 5, 2013 6:18 PM
Oct 5, 2013 8:08 PM

Sep 2012
If you want a private profile, then just make your anime list and manga list private, disable comments, add no favorites, and never post on the forums or anything. It isn't that complicated, you know.
Another page to the history of the Fujaku.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
8 hours ago

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Yesterday, 11:11 AM

» Preview for "About Me" section

NubFix - Mar 24, 2022

5 by NubFix »»
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

» Could MAL match users with the most similar watched anime and ratings?

mur_koshka - Apr 7

4 by mur_koshka »»
Apr 16, 1:44 AM

» Users who haven't finished an anime should be restricted on rating it

Thruddingsfly - Feb 15

39 by 3miL »»
Apr 14, 11:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.