Forum Settings
Forums
Mardock Scramble
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 6, 2018 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
As history we are, I have no regrets, it is quite interesting and even if with some difficulty you can follow the narrative. Even the violence is right to its extent, but I have to turn up the nose for what concerns the graphics, we are not right. I found in this film so cruel but also so much humanity. The film ends right on the most beautiful, what anger!
For now, albeit my perplexities, I want to give it a vote of 7.5/10.
May 27, 2020 10:05 PM

Aug 2015
Great visuals and sound. The story didn't really make sense but I was definitely never bored. The side villains were ridiculous but fun. The fights were great.

However.... Awkward message. The focus on the trauma and tragedy of rape while also glorifying the rape and oversexualizing the underage character is not a good combo. Even while the story is supposedly demonizing the rapist, the MC is still framed "sexily". Male gaze and all that. Left a bad taste.

The doctor saying he had to rape her after saving her to teach her how to resist? Even shitty doujins have better excuse for rape than this. The courtroom blaming her for her father committing statutory rape when she was a child? Very ham-fisted way to illustrate a shitty society.

I'm all for gratuitous sex and violence, but the moral message this movie was going for ( "rape bad, girl sad" ) was completely bulldozed by what the actual visuals conveyed ( "ay look how hot she is" )
whitherMay 27, 2020 10:16 PM
Sep 8, 2020 4:52 PM

Sep 2018
Man, this shit was awesome. Disturbing and graphic film, but very enjoyable from the start to finish. Incredible animation as well, kind of blown away tbh, did not expect that. 9/10. Lame AF cliffhanger though lol
Feb 2, 2021 12:30 AM

Dec 2018
It's a good movie ngl, the visuals are beautiful. Seeing all the green tainted in the backgrounds, I couldn't help but think that it screams of the toxicity of the society.

Now while I can't say that I didn't enjoy watching it, there were some parts I did not like. All the villains are batshit crazy. I thought that the main character aka Balot was kinda lacking emotions. I liked the character of the golden mouse the best ;v

8/10 overall for me, now I gotta go watch the sequel -,-

(I saw some people talking about how it is a lot like Ghost in the Shell but I haven't watched it so I feel like I'm missing out on smth ;~;)
Apr 3, 2021 12:43 PM
Oct 2019
It's typical Ubukata-Trash from start to finish. Random ass scenes put together one after another just to trick you into thinking you just watched the deepest shit every when in reality you didn't. Just some stupid incoherent scenes that don't make any sense whatsoever and characterexploration beyond retarded.What more could you ask for in an Ubukata-Creation. It's the same thing as always when this talentless writer steps on the scene. Same with the other two movies of this trilogy, same with the Arise-Series of Ghost in the Shell, same with the second season of Psycho Pass. In one word: garbage.
Oct 19, 2021 11:05 PM

Nov 2013
I only checked this out because of the connection with Yoshitoki Oima. This is too dystopian and unbelievable. Did not enjoy at all.
Mar 7, 2022 4:01 PM

Sep 2014
I have no idea what I just watched. this feels like it fell out of time, in a good way though. The violence and nudity, together with the dystopian sci fi setting and artstyle really makes it feel like a show from the 90s. It has great animation but I only watched a shitty stream so I cant really tell much here.

The plot is confusing though. So a crime boss tried to kill off his teen prostitute, who was saved through sci fi tech to be a witness in court against him, fair enough. However the dude who is coming after her is also some sort of state official? Is this supposed to be corruption? Did I miss something?

I really have to watch the rest of this to say if its worth it, so far it wasnt too bad. It really is like a dark 90s sci fi show with modern production quality, but with the same convoluted and cliche plot. If it works it works.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 18, 2022 5:27 AM
Jul 2018
This is the worst anime movie I've ever seen. Ubukata Tow is an even bigger hack than Urobuchi Gen. His ideas are far more disgusting than Gen's and contain even less elaboration.

Quoting my thoughts from a review:

Ubukata does what he does best: putting random, incoherent and incomprehensible scenes one after another and ACT like he did the deepest screenplay ever, while in reality he did nothing but putting hot trash together.

Also, character designs for the male characters are so unbearable. It was 100% done intentionally to evoke some emotions from the viewers just because the male characters rape the main female lead who is the only character with decent design. Cheap tricks that do not work

1/10
Nov 12, 2022 5:50 PM

Jul 2021
I have no idea what's happening but it's pretty edgy that's for sure.
Nov 12, 2022 5:53 PM

Jul 2021
Comander-07 said:
I have no idea what I just watched. this feels like it fell out of time, in a good way though. The violence and nudity, together with the dystopian sci fi setting and artstyle really makes it feel like a show from the 90s. It has great animation but I only watched a shitty stream so I cant really tell much here.

The plot is confusing though. So a crime boss tried to kill off his teen prostitute, who was saved through sci fi tech to be a witness in court against him, fair enough. However the dude who is coming after her is also some sort of state official? Is this supposed to be corruption? Did I miss something?

I really have to watch the rest of this to say if its worth it, so far it wasnt too bad. It really is like a dark 90s sci fi show with modern production quality, but with the same convoluted and cliche plot. If it works it works.

I believe that's basically just the edgy sci-fi equivalent of a defense lawyer.
Oct 2, 2023 8:53 AM

Dec 2022
Balot lived one fucked up life. Small wonder that she's captivated by Œufcoque's altruism, or the surge of power that her new abilities have afforded her. That she was somewhat consumed by it until Œufcoque was endangered demonstrated just how much Rune wanted to have revenge on the world.
whither said:
However.... Awkward message. The focus on the trauma and tragedy of rape while also glorifying the rape and oversexualizing the underage character is not a good combo. Even while the story is supposedly demonizing the rapist, the MC is still framed "sexily". Male gaze and all that. Left a bad taste.
You can't "oversexualise" a character who is literally shown having sex in multiple scenes. Whether you like it or not, Rune is a sexy girl, and that fact cannot be avoided in a story that involves such an in-depth depiction of prostitution. This alleged disparity you claim to see between the sinister nature of rape and the attractiveness of the victim is actually meant to cause an emotional ambivalence in the viewer, creating a conflicting feeling where the erotic appeal of the scene fights with the immoral act that gives it context. Besides that, Rune is a "dead lay"; her expressionless, voiceless resignation to her life of prostitution being a very obvious sign to the viewer that these erotic scenes have a maliciousness behind them.

Shaded Horizon

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Thoughts on Mardock Scramble

LightningSoul - Sep 4, 2017

7 by Salty-GB »»
Jul 23, 2021 5:45 PM

» /

delete_plz - Jun 7, 2010

7 by ZaMpa »»
Mar 31, 2011 4:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.