3It was OK
9.3%
2Disliked it
0.8%
1Hated it
0.8%
Average 4.5
118 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 31, 2008 2:07 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The history of the Empire's kaisers looks like something out of a tabloid article. Revenge plots, tyrants, 'immortal' kaisers, kaisers running away with their gay lovers, etc. They sure had a storied history.

I got a good laugh out of the situation of the Yang married life, especially when the subject of who's in charge came up. Lennenkapt seemed far too overzealous in trying to figure out Yang's hidden agenda. He'd probably go crazy from frustration if Yang were to continue the facade for several years.

From what the narrator hinted, it looks like things will start moving once again from here on out. The next move goes to Earth.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Nov 9, 2008 8:44 AM

Aug 2008
Another fun filled history episode. The Kaisers are all pretty interesting and it really distilled that whole "perfect monarchy" image that they try to keep up with. I wonder what happened to that one Kaiser that ran away with his gay lover. Interesting stuff though.

Yang's married life really seems to be pretty happy. I wonder what his great plan is. I know it has something to do with Merkatz though from previous episodes. Wonder when Reinhard is going to get that long hair.
Feb 17, 2009 9:04 AM

Jan 2008
I could watch an anime just about Yang and his neighbours.

The kaiser history was great, such foolishness displayed by rulers, its both hilarious and horrifying, considering this anime is merely a reflection of actual history. When that party-loving horse-riding kaiser was featured, framed photo of his dumb George Bush style shit-eating grin on his face, with the narrator explaining how the dude just loved women and partying and couldnt care less about ruling, I wanted to slap his face off.

Its been repeated over and over throughout the OVA, but Goddamn I hate the whole idea of inheriting power through bloodlines.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 11, 2009 1:28 AM

Jul 2008
Ep. 59: LoGH as a Slice of Life

Funniest episode yet.
Dec 6, 2009 10:44 AM

Dec 2008
Great episode.

The Kaiser history was funny, they were the opposite of the perfect monarchy image.

Lennenkapt doesn't give Yang a rest at all. Other than that, Yang seems to be having a pretty happy life, unfortunately it looks like he will have work to do pretty soon.
Jan 11, 2010 9:50 PM

Jan 2009
It's always interesting to have one of these history episodes. Learning more about the world of LOGH surprises me how realistic it sounds at every detail just because they could happen.

Seeing Slice-of-Life Yang and company has its own fun too, knowing how informal they acted with the guards outside their houses. Yang speaking with that one officer on his level and Mrs. Cazellnu inviting another for coffee each got a good laugh out of me.
Jan 17, 2010 9:37 AM

Apr 2009
another awesome history episode and a slice of life also xD
Jun 14, 2010 2:25 PM

Feb 2010

This. ^^

Really enjoyable episode, overall very funny but I had the best laugh about Lennenkanpt raging because Yang doesn't obviously plot something *gg*.
In fact I would happily welcome 1 or 2 more episodes like that. Calm, peaceful, funny and witty. But it seems it's gonna get serious again next episode. Also good :P
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 9, 2010 6:44 PM
Jun 2010
Probably the best slice of life episode I have ever seen lol
I was starting to miss my favorite character Yang Wenli :-)

BTW, that little girl is so cute~

Oct 13, 2010 1:20 PM

Jan 2010
gg for great Slice of Life ^^

Yang lives an awesome life...that's why i'm afraid something's gonna happen to him...gosh i can't stop speculating :\
since te next climax is according to te number of replies,episode #82,i'll have to just shut up till then -_-

so at least now i know who the kids in the ED clip are :),Cazellnu's a cool guy too,and that's a pretty wife :)

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 15, 2010 5:48 AM

Sep 2008
clannad4ever said:

since te next climax is according to te number of replies,episode #82,i'll have to just shut up till then -_-

5/5

yes...please. You're even worse than that narrator.
kidding :P
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 15, 2010 3:04 PM

Jan 2010
eyerok said:
clannad4ever said:

5/5

wait...does this mean that i'm right?O.o...

argh *facepalm"...that's it i just have to sit and enjoy...(Yang DND PLS :p)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Oct 16, 2010 8:42 AM

Sep 2008
clannad4ever said:
eyerok said:
clannad4ever said:

5/5

desolatoDec 14, 2010 1:00 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 14, 2010 10:57 AM

May 2010
koreye said:
clannad4ever said:
eyerok said:
clannad4ever said:

5/5

Thanks for spoiling you guys...
desolatoDec 14, 2010 1:01 PM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 19, 2011 4:20 PM
Jun 2011
Poor Yang...armed guards and an admiral with a chip on his shoulder. Things are tense.
Dec 12, 2011 10:21 PM
Feb 2011
Lol. History of the Goldenbaumn Kaisers and Suburban Yang and friends. Still keeping with the interesting.
Jan 16, 2012 5:34 PM

Sep 2009
I wish.
It had been a full history episode.
vv
Feb 9, 2012 9:32 PM

Aug 2010
Beatnik said:

Feb 22, 2012 6:30 AM
Aug 2010
wait why is yang under the empire's surveillance?
it's been a while since i last watched logh

Apr 22, 2012 8:10 AM

Feb 2012
The kaiser history was interesting, much better than the previous history episode. Maybe it's because the previous one didn't give me the feeling that it's related to actual history, whereas this one was very similar to the way English kings used to be like (maybe German rulers too?). I'm getting more of a feeling again that Yang Wenli is going to be replaced by Julian at some point, Yang is like a main character who doesn't want to be one.

This season is off to a good start. The first season suffered from balance problems and some things I considered stupid. The second season was good but at times I felt that every other episode was stretching the story a bit. So far I've been really liking the series when it's about the internal politics and the philosophy behind it, but I've found the space battles a bit boring. Surely this series has many elements I haven't seen anywhere else and if this season continues to be strong, I'll probably raise my rating. It's not quite a masterpiece though because of the flaws, but I can understand why people would rate it as such because of the awesomeness that can't be found anywhere else.
Apr 23, 2012 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
I actually didn't like this episode so much.The history lesson felt rushed and came right after a previous full episode history documentary. And the Yangs at home felt awkward and forced. I dunno.

Looking forward to having stuff happen again.
Jun 9, 2012 10:31 PM

Jun 2009
insipidclownfish said:
I actually didn't like this episode so much.The history lesson felt rushed and came right after a previous full episode history documentary. And the Yangs at home felt awkward and forced. I dunno.

I guess this just proves that anyone can write off anything as "awkward and forced". Personally, I wish all SOL anime felt this natural and the history lesson part with Reinhard was pretty engaging I thought.

Wouldn't mind another episode like this, to be honest. But, I guess it isn't meant to be.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 2, 2012 8:39 AM
Jul 2018
I absolutely live this show but sometimes the gender stereotypes found in it really bother me. It is sorta disappointing to see Frederica's role reduced to that of an obedient/supportive wife that has to clean up after Yang.....

Maybe I'm overreacting.
removed-userAug 2, 2012 4:16 PM
Sep 20, 2013 10:55 PM

Nov 2009
Frederica and Yang kind of make an odd married couple, like they don't know how to behave as a married couple . . . But still rather nice.
Aug 7, 2014 10:07 AM

Nov 2013
The kaiser who nonchalantly passed off the explosion killing lots of people was crazy, simply because he wanted to keep his inane schedule?

The history segment of that episode was bonkers.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 29, 2014 7:52 AM

Dec 2013
A good calm episode. Nothing spectacular happened. Was hoping to see some more action between Frederica and Yang. Maybe another kiss? XD They are a great couple.
Nov 9, 2014 10:00 PM

Mar 2012
Being one of those soldiers doing surveillance on Yang must be boring as hell...
Mar 5, 2015 3:12 PM

Aug 2014
Another good episode. I liked the bits with Yang and the other guy's families. It was cool to learn about how the lineage of the Empire was over time.
May 31, 2015 1:05 AM
Nov 2014
Reinhard learning about the past kaisers was interesting to watch, dat yang's new lifestyle tho. 100% SoL :p
Jun 15, 2015 10:59 AM

May 2012
Slow but fun episode of the casual life of a new wed couple!
Jul 8, 2015 9:41 AM

Dec 2013
Enjoyed the litte history lesson.

Seeing Yang and Frederica's married life was nice. I really could just watch something like this as a full length series and really enjoy it. Although their way of marriage is sort of a reminder of how old this show is.
Jul 26, 2015 7:49 PM

Dec 2008
Leave Yang alone, dammit!! He can't even enjoy his life as a newlywed.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 24, 2016 9:10 PM

Nov 2014
Like said above, Legend of the Galactic Heroes the slice of life.

Jun 17, 2016 3:04 PM

Aug 2014
"The Kastorade was comprised of young men who had endured castration, to preserve their boyish voices"
Those poor poor kids :(

I'm actually enjoying these episodes about the Yang Household and Friends xD
May 19, 2017 9:28 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The first half of the episode was a interesting Imperial History class!!!! ;)
Feb 12, 2018 3:14 AM

May 2016
That Homo Kaiser I was like wtf, most of the Kaisers were idiots tbh, I loved that smile of Reinhard made at the end.

Yang is living a peaceful life while scheming, how to use this new era for his own benefits, Fredrica looked way more beautiful in here army uniform, and that cat yawning was so frustrating for me because of my lack of sleep.

it seems Merkatz has started his plan long ago considering that rumors have been spread into the imperial.

I can't wait to see that grand bishop getting butchered by Muller fleet.
Mar 31, 2018 12:51 PM

Jan 2017
Been awhile since we get to see Yang. I wish him to get a happy life, but i'm also want him to raise an army again.
Apr 17, 2018 10:47 AM

Jul 2012
always interesting to see Cazellnu XD
his wife is cool
the history of the dynasty was also very interesting
Why, you say... Don't you get it?

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
May 10, 2018 4:01 PM
Apr 2018
An episode of two halves. I enjoyed the first half more with the history of the Kaisers and how similar it was to the Anglo-Saxon and Medieval Kings and Queens of England. The later half with Frederica worrying about get cooking was far less entertaining.
Oct 2, 2018 6:53 PM
Apr 2018
History lesson time! Kinda cool, I would like to know what happened to the gay Kaiser.

Lennenkaptz is annoying. I hope someone kills him or something.
Nov 4, 2018 3:13 PM

Feb 2017
There was a lot of humour in this episode, but the funniest part was how enthusiastic Frederica sounded about making sandwiches.
Mar 17, 2019 2:45 PM

Aug 2017
I think I want more slice of life episodes in LOGH :-] This one was very comfy and relaxing and advanced the plot at the same time. Seems that Yang is planning to corrupt the rulers of the Empire! I'm excited about what's his precise plan though.
Mar 18, 2019 6:21 AM
Feb 2018
watching 60 episodes of LOTGH in 4 days isn't too much right....
Nov 12, 2019 3:24 AM

Oct 2012
Damn that Homo King, he was really smart to leave his power and go with his beloved xD

Reinhard is young but really wise, learning history is one of the way to get it
People keep repeating history way too often because they didn't learn history, they don't know the importance of history

Haha Uncle Yang's logic just got destroyed by his wife aka "Onee-san"
Being a wife is OP xD
"Signature removed"
Dec 29, 2019 10:56 AM

Nov 2016
Lol, Lennenkampf is seriously trying way too hard. Leave ma man Yang alone.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 7, 2020 10:55 PM
Jun 2017
This is no doubt the funniest episode of the series (so far). I very much liked the historical first part. The Goldenbaum Dynasty wasn't any different from any other ruling dynasty in History. Great rulers, ninterested rulers, dogmatic rulers, rulers who left their throne for their catamites... Mankind hasn't changed, huh.

That was a very good move from Cazellnu. I almost thought of it before it was presented to us, it's basic communication for prisoners.

Frederica is so damn cute. However, I'm still not accustomed to the idea of Yang being married. His feelings for Frederica didn't feel too organic, as he always have the image of an eternal bachelor. Anyway, I wonder if he's studying History now that he doesn't have to command a battleship.
Feb 2, 2021 1:44 PM

Jul 2012
I really, REALLY love when they give us history lessons. I find them fascinating.

So far this show has been pretty great, especially for the politics and history... However, one thing that bothers me it's that society is SO old-fashioned, especially with gender-roles. For example, like an user said previously, Frederica being reduced to "wifey". And don't get me wrong, if this was a show set in the, say 60s, I wouldn't have a problem, but this is supposed to be the future and I have a hard time believing that society devolved like that.
Jul 28, 2021 6:59 PM

Jun 2020
im gettin a rly bad feelin bout dis 😑😑
Aug 3, 2021 5:34 AM

Jul 2016
Sabinlerose said:
I wish.
It had been a full history episode.
vv

I agree. More history episodes for mine!
May 31, 2022 5:38 PM

Dec 2007
yang and feredrica's marriage life can supply slice of life spin-off lol.

as or the kaisers, i found them a bit copy>paste from real kaisers lol
the homo kaiser for example remind me the brother from "king's speech", only in gay form lol
i actually thought this episode gonna be full episode about the keisars.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.