Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2008 1:30 PM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Even though she's been reinstated, Hilda is correct in thinking that she'll have garnered enemies. In particular, Oberstein looks to oppose her and any chances she may have of getting any closer to Reinhard.

I can see Reuental's best friend relationship with Mittermeyer starting to drift apart even more. It seems like each time they meet now for extended discussions he says at lest one thing that can be interpreted the wrong way.

By all indications so far it would seem the upper extent of the Earth cult's abilities is influencing political figures. De Villier's next target could prove troublesome. If he could get someone like Reuental to cooperate it could be very damaging.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Nov 8, 2008 6:58 PM

Aug 2008
I always like watching Ruental speak. Especially his speech to that one lady about not wanting to overthrow the current Kaiser since it came to power with its own merit. Looks like that bishop in the Earth Church has a lot of dirty aims that he plans to achieve. Can't wait to see how things develop from here.
Feb 17, 2009 8:08 AM

Jan 2008
I wish I had an admiral buddy who would turn up at my place and drink fine wine while discussing politics.

Every episode with Reuenthal makes me like him even more, such a great intriguing character with a conflicted mind and heart. And irisis!

Also, mount Everest lost its top! Pretty interesting setting for a HQ, whether military or religious.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Oct 6, 2009 9:54 PM

Jan 2009
Good episode, it was nice seeing the Earth Cult's head quarters and just seeing how bad the condition of the Earth truly was.

I agree with Beatnik, every time i see Reuenthal i like him a little but more, he is vastly becoming my favorite character in this show.
Nov 16, 2009 4:44 PM

Dec 2008
Beatnik said:

Also, mount Everest lost its top! Pretty interesting setting for a HQ, whether military or religious.

Neatly symbolic isn't it? Earth's authority, reaching to the stars, got chopped down to size.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Dec 16, 2009 3:39 AM

Apr 2008
Reuenthal's rant was the highlight of the episode, otherwise it was pretty meh.
It really only solidifies a notion I had when I was watching earlier episodes that the storytelling format here reminds me of the far more recent Spice and Wolf series (both of them), where there would be a few "build up" episodes before a single "climax" episode. Only in LoGH, it's a lot of build up episodes and multiple climax episodes. Truly befitting a grand space opera.
Jan 11, 2010 1:48 PM

Jan 2009
Yes, Reuenthal certainly made the episode, admitting things that were eating away at him as well outright stating he would never want to take the throne for himself.

That Oberstein always seems to push the buttons nobody wants to press. He had best count blessings as Reinhard still has need of him.

It also seems conveniently dangerous that Julian and company happen to be in the same place where Reinhard plans to send his subjugation forces. I can't wait for what'll happen next.
Oct 12, 2010 12:21 PM

Jan 2010
is it just me or the anime's entertainment rate is up the roof over the last few episodes :),i hope they'll stick to this kind of action from now on,i like it :)

Reuenthal really knows how to make a scene...wow but i strangely expected something like this from him,lone wolf :p

Julian finally got to earth,so let the action begin ^^

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 10, 2010 10:24 AM

May 2010
It's like everyone in the show hates Oberstein lol.

I yawned when I saw Julian
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Mar 30, 2011 4:36 AM

Aug 2009
that scene with Reutal yelling at the naked girl made me really uncomfortable. I kept thinking he was about to rape her or something. Glad he didn't lol, since I like his character and don't want them to ruin it. It was cool seeing him flip out for once though.

And now they are on earth. Interesting...
Aug 18, 2011 11:00 PM
Jun 2011
Yeah I didn't know what he was going to do either. I'm glad they seemed to resolve his ambition to overthrow Reinhard. He may still try to capitalize on an opportunity should it show itself, but he's better where he's at. So now we see that the Grand Bishop is just a fake and not an ideologue. I just really wonder what they have planned.
Jan 16, 2012 5:03 PM

Sep 2009
I want an admiral buddy too.....
Or at the very least a womanizing redhaired pilot buddy.
May 9, 2012 7:49 PM

Feb 2012
In one scene, we see Mittermeyer leading the life of a "model" man with Evangeline, and in the next, we see...Reuenthal. The contrast between them is striking. On one hand, I feel as though their friendship is merely circumstantial, but on the other hand, sometimes the strongest bonds are formed between polar opposites.

On another note, I'm loving the 27-minute episode length. It's giving these episodes just the right amount of room to breathe, and -- in part -- alleviating some of the pacing issues that the first two seasons had.

DeadBonesBrook said:
That Oberstein always seems to push the buttons nobody wants to press. He had best count blessings as Reinhard still has need of him.

But that's exactly why Reinhard wants and needs him by his side in the first place. In his advisory capacity, Oberstein has made some very valuable comments to Reinhard when others would have bit their tongues. Dictators are born when the people around them stop saying what's really on their minds.
Jun 9, 2012 12:21 AM

Jun 2009
Reuental continues to be one of the most interesting characters in the series. Loved his line about Reinhard "earning his power". And, good on Reinhard on reinstating Hilda and her father.

Confucius said:
I yawned when I saw Julian

Don't really understand your dislike for Julian. Sure he isn't as interesting as Yang, Reinhard, Reuental, or some of the others but that was probably the point.
Ston3_FreeN7Jun 9, 2012 4:16 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 14, 2012 12:09 AM

May 2011
Wow. Awesome seeing the depth of Reuental here when he was having dinner at Mittermeyer's. Also, the soundtrack for the specific scene where he was explaining how what he did was, "Driving [him] insane, and [he] knows it," was perfect. It was a bit hectic and sinister -- very effective in conveying Reuental's emotions for me.

Also, it's nice that LoGH is developing some of the other characters and we get to see into their more private lives. It makes it more realistic than just seeing them in action and on-duty all the time.
Know an AMAZINGGG anime with a strong male lead?!?!11one//?!

TELLMEEEE.
NoSrsly, bby. I'll love you forever. But no romance. I mean, romance is fine between you and I, but I don't want to watch that crap, okay? Okay.
Aug 2, 2013 10:25 PM

Jun 2013
That was one bitchy bitch, Reuenthal's taste in women is meh lol
Sep 20, 2013 9:58 PM

Nov 2009
So now Reuenthal is not planning to revolt against Reinhard? Still thought he was just biding his time. Plus if Reinhard continues, he is going to have an heir, which should be what Reuenthal hates most ... But whatever.

Anyways, I guess the Earth Cult really is just a bunch of people from Earth still sour (thousands of years later) about the fact that they aren't the center of it all anymore.
Jan 10, 2014 10:09 PM
Feb 2011
Reuental's a complex character and that makes him great (bonus points for heterochromia). It relieved me so much that he didn't have the desire to overthrow Reinhard. Is he veering towards democratic ideals?
Aug 7, 2014 9:28 AM

Nov 2013
So Reuenthal is going to lose his mind when Reinhard eventually marries Hilda *heheheeheh* and a line of succession is declared? Oh boy oh boy. I'm glad he has no motivation to topple Reinhard at the moment though...
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Sep 29, 2014 7:21 AM

Dec 2013
Vexper said:
So Reuenthal is going to lose his mind when Reinhard eventually marries Hilda *heheheeheh* and a line of succession is declared? Oh boy oh boy. I'm glad he has no motivation to topple Reinhard at the moment though...
You've said exactly what I wanted to say. I'm glad that Reuenthal is loyal to Reinhard.

I'm actually hoping the invasion on Earth will succeed. The Earth Cult gets on my nerves not to mention they're trying to assassinate Reinhard. Of course I hope Julian will make it out, but thats a given seeing that he will most likely be the next "hero" after Yang.
Nov 9, 2014 9:33 PM

Mar 2012
I have a bad feeling the Earth cult has an ace up their sleeve to deal with the Empire.
Nov 26, 2014 7:12 AM
Mar 2013
I'm surprised that Reinhard wants to (or hasn't disapproved) pass down rule to an heir of his own, because it would obviously lead to government decay once more. And Ruental would flip :p

Though I suppose there is very little alternative and the history of humanity we've seen shown that humanity never stops fucking up.
Mar 4, 2015 7:18 PM

Aug 2014
I liked more of that backstory for the multi-color-eye guy. He's pretty cool. There was some more good historical development of the story in this episode when they were on Earth.
May 30, 2015 10:39 PM
Nov 2014
Reuental got some awesome character developments in this episode, glad he is loyal to Reinhard. Wouldn't want to see an awesome character fight against Reinhardo :P
Jun 13, 2015 8:52 PM

Oct 2012
I was a bit confused here. What was driving him insane? It seemed like he told the noble women something that was a painful topic for him. Especially Mittermeyer's reaction. It was a powerful shot though. I assumed he told her about his upbringing maybe but that didn't fit the context. The incident of the noble uprising doesn't really fit the intensity of his emotions. Can someone explain.

Jun 14, 2015 3:46 PM

May 2012
Impressive episode, really interesting and well I really like where this is going! Let's see what's next.
Jul 7, 2015 1:38 AM

Dec 2013
Ok episode. Poplan was as entertaining as ever. Liked Reuental's development in this episode as well.
Apr 12, 2016 9:53 AM

Jan 2014
Reuenthal sure is a very interesting character. I like him.
Jun 17, 2016 2:58 PM

Aug 2014
Reuenthal is truly a fascinating character to watch..You just never know what's the guy going to do next.
Nov 1, 2016 5:36 AM

Aug 2014
Demonstration that Reuental's character is complex.
Jan 10, 2017 4:50 AM

Apr 2016
Oskar's facial expression during his conversation with Mittermeyer was priceless.

It proves how his character is experiecing contradiction. From what i can interpret (perhaps i missed some detail during the show since it's too long), Reuental is a man with "rough" personality, he tends to enjoy (or it's just his nature) making people suffer, for from his point of view, life it self is already cruel (his past is an example), it's either eat or be eaten, so he'll probably seize all the opporunity to get what he wants (this is mostly akin to Reinhard's philosophy), or just to satisfy him (sadist maybe lol). Despite a part of him really doesn't want to have things this way, he just can't resist the temptation to do so, which is why he said "it's driving me insane".

He also displays an extreme hatred against "unfairness in power" (don't really the exact word, but to me it's like as long as you have connection with prestigious people, you don't have to do anything, just sit back and relax and power is in your hand). He believe that you have to take it with your own hands, go through hardship and you may be repaid, don't expect someone else will lend you a hand. But in the end he once again contradicts himself with Reinhard, admitting that he can't exceed the current Kaiser although he did have the intention of overthrowing Reinhard. This show is awesome, character development bit by bit but firm and distinctive, realistic. Can't wait for more.
CzeroCJan 10, 2017 5:44 AM
May 16, 2017 8:26 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Oberstain always speaking "bad"!!! Well done Reinhard!!
This Revental has a hard heart, and this malicious woman in his life can change the naturality of this character, and she will transformed in a evil to Reinhard!!
Julian in the earth!!!
Is a pity that Everest has 1.000 metres less :(
Apr 17, 2018 9:58 AM

Jul 2012
I love and hate Reuenthal at the same time.. (*☻-☻*)
Even though I know that this anime was created at a different time, it makes me uncomfortable that sometimes they talk about women in an unseemly way.
Why, you say... Don't you get it?

If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
May 10, 2018 2:49 PM
Apr 2018
This episode was all about Reuenthal. From the moment he walks into the screen you can't take your eyes off him. Probably the most fascinating character in the show. I again watched this with my girlfriend and said "This is Mittenmeyer's deputy Bayerlein, he doesn't trust Oscar" and again right in cue we see the distrust from Bayerlein.

So Oscar says he doesn't want to overthrow Reinhard. Yeah, he is still going to try. They've put aside so much time towards this story that something will happen. I think the new woman in his life might turn all Margaret of Anjou and inspire him to revolt. Either that or everyone unfairly suspecting him will do it. If Reinhard names a child as his successor that might be the spark that lights the fire in Reuenthal.

I love that the Bishop in Earth laughs at religion zealots. I got a big kick when he drank his secret supply of wine. Af6er failing to kill Reinhard it looks like they may move on to Yang now..

Poplan finally acknowledged that Borris is a Konev, but I was hoping for a heartfelt conversation between the two about Ivan.
JohnWooMay 13, 2018 6:10 PM
Oct 1, 2018 2:40 PM
Apr 2018
Ohh, so Reuental is not gonna try to betray Reinhard??? Uhmmm

I fear for Merkatz.
Nov 4, 2018 2:28 PM

Feb 2017
Of all the admirals that the Earth Cult could influence, who will they choose? Oberstein always seems like a prime candidate for traitor, but he's never gone for it. He calculates his power and position far too well to act prematurely. Also, I'd really like to see the Earth Cult get even with Truniht for yet another betrayal.
Mar 16, 2019 2:55 PM

Aug 2017
The new uniforms for Mittermeyer, Reuenthal and Oberstein look gorgeous, I love the designs a lot.

Also, I finally understood the reason for sending Wahlen to Earth - in order to give him a chance to restore his good name after the defeat near Vermillion. Makes sense!

Moreover, I must admit that the more I watch LOGH, the more I fall in love with Reuenthal. His speech with the lover was very powerful and a bit encouraging. Seems like he's not going to try to top Reinhard, as he wanted to do before. However, I suspect that this will change soon. Reuenthal respects rulers that earn their power by themselves and despises gaining power by inheritance...so does Reinhard. But with all these talks about marriage from Mariendorf and Oberstein, who knows what will happen? Maybe we're witnessing a setup for a great conflict right now...
St0rmbladeMar 16, 2019 3:16 PM
Nov 12, 2019 2:20 AM

Oct 2012
Being in earth cult is pretty sad, they're pretty much doomed from the start
Especially with that kind of leader, he's not even the "follower" of earth cult xD

I wonder how Julian will escape the trouble again, it's not the first time he did it
"Signature removed"
Dec 29, 2019 10:28 AM

Nov 2016
I dig Reuentals characterisation. As of now he thinks that he can't compete with Reinhard and here I thought the woman would stir something up in him. But who knows maybe, there will be time where he sees his chance, I mean, we need another threat besides the Earth Cult.

Speaking of them, the bishop getting out the drink in the manner of "what fools" was pretty funny.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 7, 2020 10:17 PM
Jun 2017
A calm episode, the first one in a long time.

And another stellar appearance by Oberstein. My God, he is almost 40. It appears he is disliked by pretty much everyone, except by his dog. He didn't seem to realize that Reinhard is a total reformer, and that blood libel kind of punishments are outdated. Anyway, it's true that Reinhard should get married soon, as the assassination attempt proves that's necessary to secure the line of inheritance (though he'll probably hate to have a blood heir). I'm positive that Hilda will change her surname to von Lohengramm at some point in the future.

So Reuental denied to want to topple the Lohengramm Dynasty. Interesting. Anyway, I still don't like him. I'm intrigued as to why he is one of the most liked characters of this series, according to this website. Personally, as it's obvious, I'd pick Oberstein at any time.

Finally on Earth. I'm curious to know how will this story unfold, and to see von Kreutzer again. Also, wasn't that man Rubinsky? He surely looks like Rubinsky.
May 30, 2022 5:36 PM

Dec 2007
wow, what an amazing episode. only LOGTH can make so much by episode full of dialogues.
unfortunately, i'm too tired right now to analyse the character development and the story here, so i will mention only the highlight lol.

first, reuntal is one of the best characters here. he has his own ideology, and i'm very interested to know what will happen if he would have kind of "mind game" such as yang and reinhard had in episode 34. it would be blown off lol.
mytermier and reuntal friendship is amusing one also. the contradiction between them is what makes their conversation so addictive lol.

julian didn't do much here lol, but as in the previous episode reinhard states to kill every believer who couldn't get arrest.
though at once i will hope julian won't get killed, on second thought it may bring julian close to reinhard.
or the empire vs earth cult will make some twists in his phase?

the earth cult really showing that religious forcing won't be change even in the future. there will be still those raids to convert people to their religious, or die.
it's only occurs me thinking where they have so much power.
Nov 4, 2022 4:38 PM

Feb 2012
2022 Rewatch

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 2, 2022 4:12 AM

May 2018
rip Himalayan mountains. You'll be missed
Jan 13, 2023 1:07 AM

Aug 2018
Reunthal's character so far has been nothing less but impressive , once again he held the spotlight of this whole episode, It just feels unfortunate that him and Mittermeyer might not be good friends anymore one day. 

The attack on earths  religious cult seems to have started, wonder how will they manage to hold agains't such force and how will Julian does things while this takes place

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.