Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 31, 2008 7:53 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Another history episode. This one was good also. They make it a point to drive home the fact that real war is hell. There ended up being a lot of atrocities commited on all sides.

I can now see why the Earth was cast aside and largely thought irrelevant and/or mostly forgotten. They've been whittled down to a population of a billion not once, but twice. First before they made thier forays into deep space and once again after their corruption brought about galactic warfare. Even though there's been a great deal of time since then old grudges die hard. It's about time to see what can they really do after all these years of scheming.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Nov 3, 2008 12:15 PM

Aug 2008
Another fun filled history episode. Earth kinda sucks in my opinion. They started out all right but then all that power corrupted. It probably could have been avoided if sovereignty was brought back after some peace returned. Interesting stuff and great back story. Sucks though that one guy died and the other two fought each other. But that usually happens anyway so it was not a big surprise.
Jan 8, 2009 5:11 PM
Jul 2018
Really interesting episode. It's invented history, but it's believable. I'm not surprised Earth was cast aside; if you look at actual history, I think there have been a lot of centres of power that have lost the spotlight, so to speak.

tainteddonut said:
They make it a point to drive home the fact that real war is hell. There ended up being a lot of atrocities commited on all sides.

Real war is really quite frightening and awful, and this episode was a good reminder of that.

It's interesting that with each triumph, there came corruption among the people (as with the Black Flag Force) and eventually the peace they fought for turned into more fighting. It really makes me wonder how this show will be resolved at the end-- will peace finally be achieved? I imagine history tends to repeat itself though.
Feb 17, 2009 1:48 AM

Jan 2008
The depth, the sheer depth and imagination, LotGH kicks my arse and I love it!

Its easy enough to invent a new history going by previous conflicts and such, but its done so well with this OVA, within an intergalactic context.

Seeing that group of men who overthrew the Earth space force implode with assasinations and neutron bombs was tragic, especially Piano Guy.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 22, 2009 4:26 PM

Apr 2009
Some powerful stuff there...kinda makes me ashamed of the planet Im living on, lol

Since Earth's history was explained in this episode, the Earth Cult will probably have lots more screen time now, and they're plans will finally be revealed.

Jan 11, 2010 12:32 PM

Jan 2009
The amount of hell Earth brought upon itself seemed immeasurable in that it dramatically reduced itself to one billion twice as well as bathing itself in its own greed procured by the colonies. Like the other one, this was a good, yet ugly episode.
Jan 12, 2010 11:27 PM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:

Seeing that group of men who overthrew the Earth space force implode with assasinations and neutron bombs was tragic, especially Piano Guy.

I concur. I was pissed at those idiot...
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 2, 2010 8:24 PM

Aug 2008
I sensed a lot of foreshadowing in this episode as to how the end of the series might turn out.
May 27, 2010 5:50 PM

Jun 2009
Hahahahah capital of Earth was Brisbane, Australia. Funnily enough that's where I live. Sorry, can't help but have a chuckle about that.
Jun 13, 2010 12:56 AM

Feb 2010
Very interesting to see the history of mankind in the logh universe.
I wonder how it would have turned out if Palmgren would have had the five more years he was wishing for...
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 10, 2010 3:36 AM

May 2010
Hmm, count me as disappointed. This episode showcased for me what the biggest problem with the series is: lack of imagination. This was basically "history repeats itself on a grander scale," over and over again. I can almost view this series as an abstract history lesson rather than a sci-fi. Ah well, now that I'm done being disappointed with the setting, it's time to get back to the not-at-all disappointing plot!
“Money can't buy dere”
Oct 10, 2010 1:35 PM

Jan 2010
ok the ED is really making me feel uneasy now :(...god i almost shed a tear lol,Julian's expression is so sad when he looked at the picture of Yang :(...i swear to god if something happens to him... -_-

on the other hand...eh another documentary,since Julian really likes them...
what do i have to say about it?i don't know,i hope WW3 will not come too soon :p(prefferably never)

what bugged me about this was that they didn't play a damn BGM song for all the 25 minutes of it!
i had to play my own BGM song

...but seriously,this episode+roaring tides II=pure win ^^ it really added to the dramatic factor of the episode,you see,Clannad and Lotgh can make a good team :p

4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Nov 15, 2010 9:06 AM

Oct 2009
Excellent, detailed backstory.

It's funny that a documentary about fictional history makes for such an entertaining episode.
Dec 10, 2010 5:21 PM
Sep 2010
Topgunuk69 said:
Excellent, detailed backstory.

It's funny that a documentary about fictional history makes for such an entertaining episode.

I agree, usually history bores me but LoGH happens to make it entertaining. Perhaps it's just the way history textbooks are written that makes them uninteresting to me, they're too dry a read for me.

But anyways, just finished this excellent episode. Please don't tell me this is the last history episode in the series, because I've really enjoyed both this and episode 40 quite a bit.
Dec 15, 2010 4:21 AM

Apr 2009
My mind is blown by the fact that I just watched a gripping episode on history and politics alone. I'd ask 'how is that possible', but from now on, I find this question inappropriate on LoGH boards.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Dec 15, 2010 5:30 AM

Sep 2008
BrentD said:

But anyways, just finished this excellent episode. Please don't tell me this is the last history episode in the series, because I've really enjoyed both this and episode 40 quite a bit.

There's another one later on, if I'm not mistaken. There were at least 3 history ep lessons, if I'm not wrong
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 15, 2010 10:42 AM

Jan 2010
@eyerok i'm pretty sure this is the last one :)
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 15, 2010 12:05 PM

Sep 2008
clannad4ever said:

wasnt there one where Julian's going through history while he's traveling, or was that this ep?
Dec 15, 2010 12:25 PM
Sep 2010
koreye said:
clannad4ever said:

wasnt there one where Julian's going through history while he's traveling, or was that this ep?

This episode was Julian (and later Poplan) going over Earth's history while traveling there.
Dec 16, 2010 1:10 AM

Sep 2008
BrentD said:
koreye said:
clannad4ever said:

This episode was Julian (and later Poplan) going over Earth's history while traveling there.

oh, then this should be the last one.
Aug 18, 2011 3:05 PM
Jun 2011
I know someone said in another thread that they hated these episodes, but I find them very entertaining and they definitely add to the overall story. There could be a lot of interesting things that might have happened...enough to warrant some sort of prequel.
Nov 5, 2011 4:22 PM

Apr 2009
These history episodes are like an reflection of human society and foolishness as a whole... There were aspects that happened and propably will happen exactly the way it was shown in this episode.

For example justifying a war by forging an imaginary enemy... Iraq's weapons of mass destruction anyone?

LotGH is so damn awesome.
Dec 12, 2011 10:01 AM
Feb 2011
Only LOGH can basically read out of a history book for 27 minutes and make it awesome.
Dec 30, 2011 5:34 PM

Mar 2011
Poor piano man got snuffed.

So, yeah, Earth is a dumpster.
Jan 15, 2012 11:01 PM

Sep 2009
I love these history episodes.

I also love how Brisbane is the capital of earth even after a nuclear war. Would totally be underwater.
Feb 9, 2012 5:29 PM

Aug 2010
Jesus christ

Humans love war
May 9, 2012 11:28 AM

Feb 2012
This episode was even better than the last history lesson episode. If episodes 55 and 56 are any indication, season 3 is going to be more polished and better animated than the first two seasons.

And also...the Revolutionary Etude! Yes! I had read on MAL that it'll be featured in episode 71, but it was surprising to hear it here. It's one of my favorite pieces of classical music.

Tyestor said:
Hahahahah capital of Earth was Brisbane, Australia. Funnily enough that's where I live. Sorry, can't help but have a chuckle about that.

lol, that's hilarious.

I've actually thought about this before, and determined that in a post-apocalyptic world, the new capital or economic center of the world would form somewhere in Australia or New Zealand. They're the first-world nations that are least likely to be targets of a nuclear strike, and are well isolated from the places that are likely to be targets.
Jun 13, 2012 10:37 PM

May 2011
This was definitely one of the most eye-opening episodes so far in regards to the corruption and atrocities human beings are capable of. The saddest thing is, if left to our own devices, it is a plausible future a thousand years from now.

This episode really brought out the worst side of humans -- greed, envy, jealousy, violence, and apathy all rolled into a 20-minute segment, but even more powerful for all that. Definitely enjoyed this history episode, mostly because it is a -- if only slight -- possibility for our far future.

Onto the next episode~!
Know an AMAZINGGG anime with a strong male lead?!?!11one//?!

TELLMEEEE.
NoSrsly, bby. I'll love you forever. But no romance. I mean, romance is fine between you and I, but I don't want to watch that crap, okay? Okay.
Aug 1, 2012 1:12 PM
Jul 2018
Extremely curious to see what Julian will find on Earth.
Oct 29, 2012 4:24 PM
Dec 2007
I remember not minding the first history episode but this one kind of bored me. Maybe because watching this was supposed to be a break from watching a lecture and instead I feel like I am being lectured twice. lol
Aug 2, 2013 3:50 PM

Jun 2013
Pay attention guys, 2XXX A.D, we're witnessing the future of Earth.
Aug 5, 2013 5:21 AM
Apr 2012
I can't help but wonder if the Bloody Night Massacre was supposed to have been a jab at/reference to/taken inspiration from the Nanking Massacre/Rape of Nanking.
Sep 20, 2013 1:10 PM

Nov 2009
Wow. Space travel was not kind to Earth. Not in the least. Or rather, not kind to the colonies that spread to other planets. Anyways always interesting to see the history behind the series, although think I preferred the other historic episode more than this one.
Sep 29, 2014 4:58 AM

Dec 2013
HAHAHA Brisbane became the capital!!! (I live in Brisbane) - no stalkers please.

Great episode. These history episodes just shows us how well written and thought out the anime is. Plus the narrators voice is amazing! It constantly mesmerizes me.

Edit: Technically I mean novel not anime. Well I mean both are well thought out!

Every time I see the ED song I just want to see more Frederica and Yang XD
Nov 9, 2014 8:37 PM

Mar 2012
Another informative history episode.
Dec 23, 2014 4:49 AM
Apr 2008
This is the best episode so far. The invented history is so gripping and so believable—amazing.

I'd probably show this episode and My Conquest is a Sea of Stars to my friends wanting to give LoGH a watch.
Mar 4, 2015 6:17 PM

Aug 2014
Another informative and well-thought out history episode, cool. I liked how they got more in depth this time.
May 30, 2015 5:49 PM
Nov 2014
Awesome episode, love the effort they puted into this episode just to explain the backstory of earth. Well thought out and detailed.
Jun 14, 2015 2:27 PM

May 2012
This was a very informative episode! Really liked this backstory of earth!
Jul 6, 2015 4:21 AM

Dec 2013
Another documentary lesson. I actually really enjoy these types of episodes.
Oct 14, 2015 3:51 PM

Nov 2012
well that was a very bloody history wow. Looks like the inevitable nuclear wars and depletion of resources on earth happens huh. Only thing I thought was kinda weird was that there were only two nations that were nuking eachother not that from todays date, hmm

Sucks that the earth got so tyrannical in hording resources from other colony planets and it seemed to culiminate in that horrible incident where they kill so many civilians. Its funny how that space force started out as basically just security for people traveling in space but turned into a insane corrupt military killing and raping everything..

Well even when the colony people fought back they seemed to have their own bloody history after fucking up earth pretty bad I suppose when they won the last battle against earth forces. Lots of infighting in the colonies and earth gets forgotten in the mean time.

I'm guessing the end of this history lesson sort of plugs into the previous history episode that told us more about the Empire and FPA origins, which seems to have come out of the chaotoic colony government most likely.

Anyways great episode. Always enjoy getting more background and detail especially since this earth cult is getting increasingly relevant here.
Oct 31, 2015 7:50 AM

Jul 2013
History is god damn brutal
Jun 16, 2016 2:52 PM

Aug 2014
Quite the informative episode, even more so overwhelming than the previous history lesson.
Nov 1, 2016 5:33 AM

Aug 2014
Expanding the depth even more, that's why this anime is a masterpiece.
Mar 12, 2017 2:09 PM

Feb 2015
This was the only thing that went through my head watching this episode.
Apr 20, 2017 7:35 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Great and Cool History Earth Lesson!!! ;)
Sep 18, 2017 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
Another filler episode. Skipped.
Feb 10, 2018 7:55 AM

May 2016
I wish all history lesson were this fun to watch, putting that aside the old woman whose jaw was opened was terrible, when I watched this I wondered if our future will be like that if so I don't wanna live in that era.
Mar 31, 2018 5:10 AM

Jan 2017
I feared this may actually happen in real life in our future
May 9, 2018 2:34 PM
Apr 2018
If you think real history is dull then you should study it more, it's fascinating. The history of the British kings and queens rivals that of any fiction and inspired so many stories such as this and especially Game of Thrones.

This episode was ok, Not quite as interesting as the previous history one however. I think I just wasn't ready for a flashback episode so soon into the new series.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

603 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.