Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 48 Discussion

May 30, 2008 4:31 PM
Vermillion

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Reinhard's decision to give his troops a break mid-fight probably cost them the quicker win. It looked like Oberstein didn't agree but he must've known. Reinhard only wants Yang and slowing the pace of the battle gives him the opportunity. The fact that they left Yang and the remaining alliance regroup will now embolden their forces. I still don't see how the alliance can turn this around into a full blown victory though, even if they manage to kill Reinhard.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.

Oct 24, 2008 7:40 PM

Now that Yang is there I think the battle might turn a bit. Although it's pretty obvious that the Empire is going to win we just don't know by how much or exactly how. I sense that one of the main commanders from either sides, or both, will die in this battle. Everytime I hear about Kierchies I get sad, he was an awesome character. Either this battle is far from over or its about halfway. It's definitely not the end though.

Oct 25, 2008 10:01 PM

Great battle from Bucock, though the Alliance is still too far short of talent to be able to win against the Empire. The situation's too lopsided, compared to only two years ago.

The Alliance will fall, the only question is when and how.

Feb 12, 2009 7:28 AM

I thought Bucock wanting to commit suicide was out of character, but that scene with him and the sandwich dude who's name I havent memorised yet was amazing. One of the best scenes I've seen in anime to be honest. It was a juicy topic being handled yet it wasnt presented over the top like 99% other shows would have done. In LotGH they just discuss the topic straight, no fuss, no bullshit, no stupid schizophrenic and painfully obvious direction, just pure quality storytelling.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol

Sep 16, 2009 6:32 PM

I've got to give it to Reinhard to look out for his interests as well as those under his command. He'll have his shot at Yang and his soldiers will/should be well enough for their next offensive.

Also, it was fortunate for Bucock to have Chun Wu Chen to talk him out of ending his own life. Things like that should never be considered an option.

Dec 30, 2009 1:15 PM

That was a very nice battle, not as impressive as Amlitzer's one but still very exciting.

Jan 10, 2010 1:41 PM

Beatnik said:
In LotGH they just discuss the topic straight, no fuss, no bullshit, no stupid schizophrenic and painfully obvious direction, just pure quality storytelling.

like totally

wasnt expecting him to commit suicide.. he didnt look that depressed..
anyway glad he is alive..

PS:
I want more episodes with 100% strategy fights damn ...
this ep was action pached
want more

Jun 12, 2010 1:54 PM

Great episode!
Although Yang is back I doubt the Alliance can win this. But I really can't say how things will turn out in the next episodes, that's one of the things I like about LotGH.

StephenCovey said:
Most of us don't listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply.

Aug 19, 2010 10:46 AM

I don't blame Bucock for considering suicide, considering the whole fleet was his responsibility and he'll go down in history as the commander who's defeat allowed the Alliance to fall. I'm not saying it's a great moral decision though, just understandable. Lucky for him Reinhard doesn't want him. Reinhard wants Yang, BAD.

Sep 29, 2010 2:08 PM

i'm starting to finally get that this is a great show :)

for the 3rd time in a row...awesome episode!

it was obvious that the FPA wouldn't have any chance,but i'm happy that the captain didn't comit suicide...also Yang was again awesome in the end,he basically said,we'll get them next time :p

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)

Nov 27, 2010 7:22 PM

I laughed when that soldier was laughing out loud while on fire
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone

Nov 29, 2010 6:56 AM

Confucius said:
I laughed when that soldier was laughing out loud while on fire

LOL..meanie
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')

Mar 25, 2011 1:33 PM

DonKangolJones said:
I don't blame Bucock for considering suicide, considering the whole fleet was his responsibility and he'll go down in history as the commander who's defeat allowed the Alliance to fall. I'm not saying it's a great moral decision though, just understandable. Lucky for him Reinhard doesn't want him. Reinhard wants Yang, BAD.

Seriously

I can't believe how long it has taken to come to their confrontation(s). I want it bad too!

Aug 14, 2011 7:02 PM
Yang got there right before complete annihilation. That was an awesome action packed episode. I thought the Black Lancers were gonna be all gung ho and then get destroyed, but they delivered a huge blow. Looks like we're that much closer to Reinhard vs. Yang. I wonder if Yang ever wished he would have destroyed Reinhard's ship way back in the beginning...could have avoided a lot, but then who really knows.

Nov 16, 2011 6:00 AM

Great episode, nice to see Yang's back.

Jan 14, 2012 12:01 AM

I'm curious about a few of the FPA people.
They are getting small little screentime...which probably means they will be great assets to Yang somehow.

I wonder where that will go.
The fact the shows not even HALF over is crazy.
I just have no idea where the hell this is going to be going.
._.

Apr 30, 2012 10:51 AM

lordshadowisle said:
Great battle from Bucock, though the Alliance is still too far short of talent to be able to win against the Empire. The situation's too lopsided, compared to only two years ago.

Agreed. Look at Bittenfeld: full of arrogance and war lust, he's one of Reinhard's many "second-tier" admirals -- and on top of that, he was forced to cross the space current at a tactical disadvantage. But he still overwhelmed the enemy. And even when Mittermeyer and Fahrenheit suffered setbacks during the battle, they were just small dents in their armor caused by the "untrained hunting dog" of the FPA fleet.

Reinhard has quantity and quality on his side, so this "war" is a foregone conclusion.

Jun 5, 2012 9:14 PM

Yeah, I really thought Bittenfeld screwed up there. But, he managed to pull through and deal a lethal blow. I like how Reinhard decided to let his people rest, I guess he still takes a lot of Kircheis' previous advice to heart.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Jul 12, 2013 9:06 AM

The Alliance is so weak! I was amazed that Bittenfeld could get through. It truly seems that Yang is the only match for the Empire. Even though they're playing up the "if Reinhard dies, the Empire is lost" business, there are too few people who could threaten him on the battlefield. Hopefully, he's well-protected against terrorism and whatever shenanigans could happen in his daily life, too. Yang can't carry the Alliance by himself, so there's no way they can win from the way I see it.

Yang and Reinhard have to meet 1v1 in battle before the war is over, but it seems like the Alliance will fall soon. I wonder if something's going to happen to even the odds or if Reinhard is going to win the galaxy and have all kinds of domestic problems to deal with for a season or so. Even Reinhard doesn't know what he would do without enemies to conquer~

Even with the low production values, this episode was more intense than a number battles in shows with no limits on budget. Bells and trills add so little to the action for me. I'd rather have this any day.

Of course, I could hardly tell the difference if LOGH randomly increased its budget and looked like a highly-polished 2013 show because I spend the entire time reading and thinking about the subtitles instead. There's too much going on story-wise to be concerned with the animation quality ninety-three-percent of the time.

Sep 18, 2013 4:43 PM

I thought the Empire would crush them harder than that . . . But I guess this will add to the battle to some degree. I wonder what will happen if the Empire destroys the Alliance, like where the series will go from there. Will WenLi die? Become a rebel? Or join forces? Hrmmm.

Mar 21, 2014 6:40 PM

Oh that scene to convince Bucock out of committing suicide was great.

We need you alive so that others won't be the scapegoats in the future. Yeah pretty much.

Aug 6, 2014 6:10 PM

Beatnik said:
I thought Bucock wanting to commit suicide was out of character

I would say it falls in line with his character perfectly. He's been a military man through and through for the entirety of his life. It's only natural for him to seek to end his life when it no longer has a purpose(loss of military). I think that and going through a career path whereby people have committed suicide to atone for their actions is probably heavily ingrained into his thoughts by now.

Nov 9, 2014 2:00 PM

Wondering how the hell the Alliance plans to turn this around.

Mar 2, 2015 7:07 PM

I wanted them to come back and have an all-out fight, but it seems they never do that. Still, great strategy and battle.

Apr 22, 2015 1:09 PM

A bit on the slow hand but quite nice development!

May 29, 2015 1:11 PM

Well, that was one of the most epic battles from any animu I have watched so far. I thought Admiral Bucock is about to have a honorable death until Yang Wenli came to the rescue to foil Reinhard's plan.

10/10

Jul 1, 2015 10:21 PM

This battle was pretty intense stuff. Respect to Bucock for putting up a decent find and his willingness to sacrifice himself to the empire.

Jul 6, 2015 11:47 PM

Wow that reason to not commit suicide. Sad, but true.

Jul 16, 2015 5:59 PM

I'm glad that there is another commander in the Alliance other than Yang that is semi competent and not a complete retard.

Jul 24, 2015 12:48 PM

lol, ive never seen an anime use basic math and physics like that :p
nicely implemented

Apr 8, 2016 7:27 AM

With Yang back they can probably resist the Empire for some time... Maybe even win somehow.

Jun 14, 2016 3:34 PM

Wow, I really wasn't expecting Bucock to try to commit suicide, thank god Trung managed to convince him out of it.

Oct 29, 2016 5:19 AM

Great episode, i dont like these deus ex machin a by Yang fleet, but the battle this time was epic and i enjoyed it.

Apr 6, 2017 12:38 PM

a great episode battle...Lucky of Bucock appears Yang to saves them!!! ;)

Hello, my litte boy!

Aug 26, 2017 3:06 PM

sigh.. So while they intentionally forced Yang to abandon Iserlohn so they could face him and his fleet they where surprised when he arrived.. How. Why. Its beyond me. I thought they prepared for this.

Also is this the first time in space for some of them? They had the gravitational stream on the monitors and still get caught by it. They are supposed to be experienced and capable..

Bucock attempted suice, so this is a thing in democratic republic military fleets? I could take it from the empire but here? Really? Well its from japan what did I expect.

Also suddenly a makeshift fleet acts undisciplined, but yang made a makeshift fleet move with highly complex manuevers in tiny space. Alright. I call that 30 year old plot armour.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

May 8, 2018 9:01 PM

Comander-07 said:
sigh.. So while they intentionally forced Yang to abandon Iserlohn so they could face him and his fleet they where surprised when he arrived.. How. Why. Its beyond me. I thought they prepared for this.

Apologies if that quote doesn't come out right, I've never done it before.

I agree, I was confused when the Empire acted all surprised at Yang's arrival. They knew he left Iserholn and have predicted pretty much everything else he's done in the past, and yet somehow it's some bold Yang exclusive strategy that he came to reinforce his allies..? Pretty silly.

May 9, 2018 1:46 AM

Gedon said:
Comander-07 said:

Apologies if that quote doesn't come out right, I've never done it before.

I agree, I was confused when the Empire acted all surprised at Yang's arrival. They knew he left Iserholn and have predicted pretty much everything else he's done in the past, and yet somehow it's some bold Yang exclusive strategy that he came to reinforce his allies..? Pretty silly.
lol I thought this was from the new adaption and was like "what when I have written that"

Stuff like these are the reason I cant consider LoGH a masterpiece. It just does that and asspulling for the plot way too much
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

Sep 24, 2018 4:45 PM

Good quote from Trung: "No, this is like a tiger getting confused because an untrained hunting dog is barking fiercely at it."

Mar 9, 1:38 PM

Bucock and Merkatz are so similar in a way... Old-fashioned admirals who both wanted to commit suicide but stopped by their subordinates. Nice. The sandwich dude really delivers, I like him. He is a nice addition to the Alliance cast, I appreciate another character who has some brains in his head.

What's also great is that the battle tactics really make sense, I'm spending quite some time looking at the map with the fleets and imagining all sorts of outcomes. On top of that, every admiral acts in a way unique to his character. Bittenfeld just obliterated the FPA fleet, great :D

However, I was a little confused by the ending of the episode. The narrator literally said that all of the FPA planets will eventually be seized, and Urvasi will become the primary Imperial military base. It was not even a preview, just a part of the episode. Well, whatever. I guess this doesn't spoil much because the fall of FPA is quite obvious to me. The question is, how fast will this happen, what comes next and when will the Earth Cult come into play. They're pretty shady, you know...
Modified by St0rmblade, Mar 9, 1:44 PM